PDA

View Full Version : Discount for Veterans???

codygirl5150
08-06-2006, 11:53 AM
I heard that veterans can get a discount...Is this true?? My husband is a USMC veteran...Would the trip have to be booked under his name? Do I just mention he's a veteran when I book??

calypso*a*go-go
08-06-2006, 12:01 PM
The only discounts I have seen mentioned are for active duty military. Maybe someone else has first hand knowledge of other discounts. Good luck. :goodvibes

Order66
08-06-2006, 01:00 PM
you can check out www.shadesofgreen.org to see if you meet the requirements. Discounts apply to active military, active reserve, 100% disability discharges and certain retirees with their 20 years in. It does not apply to all veterans. We're an active reserve family and stayed there in May. You need an active military ID to purchase the tickets from the hotel at a slight discount, basically no sales tax. It does save you a few dollars. Military discounts are also given at a lot of the DTD stores such as World of Disney and Planet Hollywood. Just show your ID.

Kellyscrapbooks
08-06-2006, 01:40 PM
you can check out www.shadesofgreen.org to see if you meet the requirements. Discounts apply to active military, active reserve, 100% disability discharges and certain retirees with their 20 years in. It does not apply to all veterans. We're an active reserve family and stayed there in May. You need an active military ID to purchase the tickets from the hotel at a slight discount, basically no sales tax. It does save you a few dollars. Military discounts are also given at a lot of the DTD stores such as World of Disney and Planet Hollywood. Just show your ID.

I belive it applies to ALL retirees.

Order66
08-06-2006, 04:07 PM

On eligibility it says grey area after retirees who receive pay. I take this to assume other qualifications are necessary or depends on your particulars of service. Since the site doesn't go any farther I would telephone for specifics if one is a military retiree with pension.

This information is regarding the stay at the hotel. Tickets I believe simply require the military ID. One does not need to stay at the SOG to enjoy the discounts on tickets or purchases at the PX.

regards

Deb & Bill
08-06-2006, 11:58 PM
A person who was in the military for a limited amount of time and did not retire, but merely completed his or her tour of duty is not eligible for Shades of Green. Dept of Defense employees are also entitled to SOG stays.

calypso*a*go-go
08-07-2006, 08:58 PM
I thought the OP was asking about getting a discount booking directly through Disney (not a ressie @ SOG).

llqool
08-07-2006, 09:13 PM
in the past (as in post 9/11 thru last year), Disney did offer a substantial discount for active duty military personnel. We were able to book 2 stays at AKL and one stay at WL for 40% off rack rates. And when my husband came home for R&R from Iraq in 2003, we got an awesome deal on tickets -- he got a free 5 day park hopper pass w/all the options, and we could buy 4 more passes like that for $99 each.

unfortunately, i haven't seen any Disney military discounts this year. Seaworld/Busch Gardens is still offering free tix to military and their families up to 4 dependents.

as far as i know, though, any discounts from Disney itself are for active duty (or activated reserve) only....

codygirl5150
08-07-2006, 09:52 PM
I thought the OP was asking about getting a discount booking directly through Disney (not a ressie @ SOG).
Yes, we're booking directly through WDW. Also, my husband did only the 4 year tour of duty in the USMC. I think maybe we're out of luck for a discount, but I'll mention it when we book and see what happens!!!
Thanks for everyone's info!

plummer925
08-08-2006, 06:39 AM
This is *not* for Disney, but it's an awesome deal for veterans (so I thought I'd mention it)

Carnival Cruise line offers a military discount to ALL honorably discharged military folks! We just booked a 5 night cruise for $199 per person instead of the $289 per person that the prior guest rate (and $349 rate that was current)!

ftwildernessguy
08-08-2006, 07:06 AM

On eligibility it says grey area after retirees who receive pay. I take this to assume other qualifications are necessary or depends on your particulars of service. Since the site doesn't go any farther I would telephone for specifics if one is a military retiree with pension.

This information is regarding the stay at the hotel. Tickets I believe simply require the military ID. One does not need to stay at the SOG to enjoy the discounts on tickets or purchases at the PX.

regards

I am becoming more versed in the military retiree subject since I am soon to fall into that category. A "grey area" retiree is someone who has retired from the active reserve with 20 or more qualifying years but is not yet eligible to receive retirement pay. A retired reservist must be age 60 (although this age is somewhat reduced by the amount of deployment time if deployed after a certain date) to receive retired pay. Since I am 49, I will be a "grey area" retiree for 11 years. I will be eligible for SOG and discounted tickets, can use the commissary and PX on bases, have limited access to health care, I just won't see the money for 11 years.

lost*in*cyberspace
08-08-2006, 10:17 AM
Just being a veteran does not qualify you for any type of discount. You need to be actually retired from the service (either after 20 years or medically retired) with a military id card. With an id card, you can buy slightly discounted tickets at military ticket offices.

ftwildernessguy
08-08-2006, 10:22 AM
Just being a veteran does not qualify you for any type of discount. You need to be actually retired from the service (either after 20 years or medically retired) with a military id card. With an id card, you can buy slightly discounted tickets at military ticket offices.

Veteran status could be difficult to prove. Most people wouldn't carry around their DD214, and shouldn't, and there is no type of government id card to prove veteran status. Retired military and active military (whether guard, reserve or active duty) will have a government issued id card to prove their status. SOG tickets used to be a really good deal, but since Disney revamped the ticket program last year, the savings amounts to basically the savings in sales tax.

rparmfamily
08-08-2006, 01:12 PM
To the OP-
I'd be careful about how you ask and make sure Disney understands what you mean. If you say "veteran" they might assume retired or AD/reserve military, which your DH is not. I know when we have used the military discount offers at Disney (room only) they DID ask for his military ID when we checked in. I assume your DH does not have an ID anymore since he's in. I honestly haven't heard of many "veteran" discounts though I do hear of military discounts.

Good luck! (DH and my dad are both vets of wars)

Deb & Bill
08-08-2006, 02:03 PM
There are thousands, no, millions of veterans out there. The VA just recovered the hard drive that was stolen with data on 26 million veterans. Luckily none of the data was accessed.

Veterans don't get a discount. Retired military, active duty and Dept of Defense get a discount through SOG and the Dept of Defense.

ginna74
08-08-2006, 02:10 PM
"Veterans don't get a discount. Retired military, active duty and Dept of Defense get a discount through SOG and the Dept of Defense."

and 100% disabled veterans

lost*in*cyberspace
08-08-2006, 02:12 PM
Technically, veterans do get a discount, as long as they have retired from the military (either after 20 years or are retired medically, as I previously mentioned).

ALL retirees are veterans!

codygirl5150
08-08-2006, 09:36 PM
So, sad....I think that anyone who has served (and honorably discharged) should be honored. My DH is a veteran, even if he only served 4 years--much more than me, and most of us, have served. He still pledged to put his life on the line for our country. I wish Disney would honor him too, not just for the money aspect either. (But I still love you WDW!!!) Thanks for everyone's information!

Deb & Bill
08-08-2006, 10:34 PM
Retired military wouldn't have anything either if the Dept of Defense and the Armed Forces Recreation Center hadn't worked out an arrangement with Disney to lease the old Disney Inn.

ducklite
08-09-2006, 06:33 AM
So, sad....I think that anyone who has served (and honorably discharged) should be honored. My DH is a veteran, even if he only served 4 years--much more than me, and most of us, have served. He still pledged to put his life on the line for our country. I wish Disney would honor him too, not just for the money aspect either. (But I still love you WDW!!!) Thanks for everyone's information!

It's not WDW that makes the rules. Shades of Green is a Armed Forces Recreation Center, and they set the rules of use. A good rule of thumb on eligibility is--if you have a current military ID card and can shop at a P/BX you are eligible.

Personally I'd rather see a special deal from WDW for police and fireman more than veterans (other than those eligible for SoG of course!) because frankly I know a ton of guys who put in their four years in the military during peacetime and never even left the US--then got a college degree out of it.

On the other hand, police and fire fighters put their lives on the line EVERY DAY, if we are at war or not. It's too bad that WDW doesn't recognize their bravery.

Anne

ducklite
08-09-2006, 06:38 AM
Retired military wouldn't have anything either if the Dept of Defense and the Armed Forces Recreation Center hadn't worked out an arrangement with Disney to lease the old Disney Inn.

They actually bought it outright about five years ago.

My BIL (AF Reserve, currently on active duty) and sister and their kids are staying there again in November. He reserved a second room for a few nights of their trip for me as well because my neices and nephews (the "cling-on's") get very upset when I leave, so I told them I'd spend a couple of full days/nights with them. Plus maybe I can have the three older kids share the room with me one night so DS and DBIL can have some time to themselves... :love:

Anne

lost*in*cyberspace
08-09-2006, 10:27 AM

As someone already stated, the DOD owns SOG, it is not leased.

So, sad....I think that anyone who has served (and honorably discharged) should be honored. My DH is a veteran, even if he only served 4 years--much more than me, and most of us, have served.

I do not agree and I myself am a veteran.

Deb & Bill
08-09-2006, 01:24 PM
If we are looking at heroes, we should give garbagemen discounts to Disney. Where would be be without them?? They don't make a lot of money, they do a rather disgusting, hot/cold, heavy lifting, etc. job.

codygirl5150
08-09-2006, 02:59 PM
Personally I'd rather see a special deal from WDW for police and fireman more than veterans (other than those eligible for SoG of course!) because frankly I know a ton of guys who put in their four years in the military during peacetime and never even left the US--then got a college degree out of it.

On the other hand, police and fire fighters put their lives on the line EVERY DAY, if we are at war or not. It's too bad that WDW doesn't recognize their bravery.

Anne
Just because they never see action durning a war doesn't mean they don't see action in other ways. Good for them if they got a college degree. They STILL volunteered, which is more than most americans do (including myself!).
I agree with you that those other brave people, like the police and fire fighters, deserve a discount too. But just because someone didn't go to war doesn't mean they are less honorable or undeserving. If a police officer doesn't get shot at, or a fire fighter doesn't get stuck in a burning building, does that mean that they DON'T put their life on the line? Military, police, fire fighters-- they are ALL honorable and deserving of more benefits than they get.

ftwildernessguy
08-10-2006, 06:54 AM
SOG and Disney are, as stated before, 2 very separate entities. Regardless of how you feel about police and firefighters getting discounts, the SOG discounts are through the federal government and offered as a "benefits package" if you will to DOD employees, active, reserve and retired service members to compensate for relatively low wages. SOG allows lower enlisted people to take their families to WDW and stay on property where otherwise they would not be able to afford it. Guest rooms at SOG are on a sliding scale, so the rate you pay is determined by your rank. A private can be staying in an identical room next to a general, but the rates they pay vary drastically.

lost*in*cyberspace
08-10-2006, 08:17 AM
A private can be staying in an identical room next to a general, but the rates they pay vary drastically.

There is a difference in rates between ranks, but I wouldn't call it dramatic. For example, those in Category 1 (enlisted soldiers with the rank of private through sergeant, E-1 through E-5), will pay $80.00 a night for a standard room starting 1 October 2006. The highest, Category 3 (officers who are majors or higher) will pay $111.00 for the same room.

A bargain for any rank.

ftwildernessguy
08-10-2006, 08:37 AM
There is a difference in rates between ranks, but I wouldn't call it dramatic. For example, those in Category 1 (enlisted soldiers with the rank of private through sergeant, E-1 through E-5), will pay $80.00 a night for a standard room starting 1 October 2006. The highest, Category 3 (officers who are majors or higher) will pay $111.00 for the same room.

A bargain for any rank.

Perhaps not drastic as I said, but that is a 28% difference, or about 150 bucks for a 5 night stay. I still think that is substantial, considering what some people will do to cut corners for a Disney vacation. Now, considering the rooms at SOG are some of the largest on property, it is a pretty good value for members of the armed forces.