PDA

View Full Version : Disney Gift Cards ???????????

car1971
08-05-2006, 10:03 PM
Hi. I am looking for anyone with any experience with the new Disney Gift Cards. I have read that they can be used at participating places in Disney World. I am wondering if anyone knows specifically where they can or cant be used. I was hoping to start buying some before our trip. I would love Disney Dollars but dont have a store near us and dont feel comfortable sending money to some address to get some. I was hoping these cards would be just like the DDs. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks

WDWorBUST
08-06-2006, 08:39 AM
I believe they can be used almost everywhere. The only place we found that didn't take them was the resort (and it was Disney). I'm not sure why they did it that way, but I sure wish I had know in advance. We had charged to the room with the intention of using the gift card to pay off the balance and then found they didn't take it. We HAD to go spend more money in the gift shop our last day to use it :rotfl:

caribear
08-06-2006, 09:18 AM
The Disney Gift Cards can be used everywhere.....dining, merchadise....etc... When you use the card there will be a "remaining balance" amount at the end of your receipt, so you will always know how much money is left on the card. I know the Disney Dollars are more "fun," but the gift cards are much easier to carry around and keep track of.

isyt
08-06-2006, 10:10 AM
I was able to use everywhere except the front desk. I was told that they would have accepted Disney Dollars.

car1971
08-06-2006, 10:41 AM
Thanks for the help. Just wanted to make sure they could be used most everywhere. Glad to know they cant be used at the resort desk, now I will know what to expect or not to expect. :goodvibes I think they will be great for the kids to have their spending money on them.

azgal81
08-06-2006, 01:07 PM
They can't be used at the front desk of the resorts because the computers aren't set up to accept them yet. They are hoping to have that complete by the end of the year. Check out the disney gift card homepage I'm sure they will update that as needed. http://disney.go.com/disneygiftcard/index.html

mydogisbo
10-23-2006, 08:33 PM
I found this thread in a search, but have a more specific question I haven't found the answer to ~~Yet~~

Can these be used in all of the World Showcase shops? Specifically Japan? I've got my heart set on my sons picking pearls & having them set for my birthday & I'd like to use a gift card toward it.

Thanks!!!

isyt
10-23-2006, 09:03 PM
I believe you can. I did use it at the other gift shop in Japan, not the pearl stand. They should take it though.

rainy~daze
10-23-2006, 09:09 PM
I am really hoping with this system upgrade they are doing right now, they would be able to take the gift cards at the front desk. I wonder if once they can accept them at the front desk, if you can use them to make payments on a regular reservation thru CRO or online.

kurt90
10-23-2006, 09:24 PM
I bought 4 in June, one for each member of my family (including me) - and they were great! They are good at WDW, DLR, DCL, disney stores, and disneyshopping.com. They are good almost everywhere at WDW.

mydogisbo
10-24-2006, 07:58 AM
Thank you for the information!

mydogisbo
10-24-2006, 12:11 PM
I emailed DisneyGiftCard.com last night with my questions, including asking if there was any chance that the front desk would be able to accept the gift card by the time of my trip in January--this is the response:

As of October 24, The Disney Gift Card is now being accepted for front desk charges at the hotels of the Walt Disney World Resort. :Pinkbounc

If anyone is there or going in the near future to verify this that would be great!

Using them at the front desk would be so much easier than worrying about carrying around multiple gift cards with balances in the parks!

WillCAD
10-24-2006, 12:19 PM
Thanks for the info Sarah! They seem to be a bit ahead of schedule, since the year isn't over yet.

I played it safe with my card; I put my food and souvenier budget on it, but saved my room balance with Disney Dollars, since my next trip is planned for early December and I didn't know if they would take the gift cards by then.

Everybody also keep in mind that the Disney gift cards can be replaced if you lose them, just like a room key or park pass, as long as you have the original purchase reciept (not a reciept from a reload).

Soccer Princess
10-24-2006, 04:30 PM
That's great. So could they also be used for a package payment and/or deposit over the phone since it needs to be paid 45 days out? I guess just read them the GC # instead of a CC #?

AdventureGuru
10-24-2006, 04:35 PM
we used them on our last trip (sept 2006) they were awsome...we could use them at carts, dining, I think we just used it as free money for incidentals....it was worth it and we are slowly saving more up for our next trip!

PS just check with cart vendors before making your purchase....I've heard that some carts dont take them...but I didnt have a problem

mydogisbo
10-24-2006, 04:56 PM
I'm not sure Soccer Princess--you could check the website disneygiftcard.com & if the answer isn't there email them--they got back to me in less than 12 hours.

I'm really hoping someone who goes in the next week or so can verify being able to use them at the desk. I'm sure the CM who replied to my question is correct, but you never know when there is a delay on site.

pezheadmeg
10-24-2006, 06:37 PM
I'll have an answer to the resort pay up in about two weeks. I have the gift card, but I'll be purchasing Disney dollars to allot my daily budget.

mydogisbo
10-25-2006, 04:15 PM
Excellent Pezheadmeg--please let us know what you find out. & have a magical birthday trip!

3darlings
10-25-2006, 08:47 PM
When I called today to confirm our reservations for next week, the CM said that the front desks are now taking gift cards. On a side note, they seem to be having alot of problems with the new system. It took forever and our reservation was messed up. He said they are having trouble.

mydogisbo
10-25-2006, 09:51 PM
Great--thank you for the update.

I'm assuming that if the front desk can accept the gift cards, then I can charge meals & purchases to my room & in the middle of my week go up & pay it down with my gift cards. Then repeat this at the end of the week. Anybody know if this is true, or if I'm way off??

Thanks!

Liz
10-25-2006, 11:36 PM
I had quite a bit of trouble getting my gift cards! I hope they are easier to use than they were to receive!!

I ordered them online and had them sent to my work address instead of home since no one would be here to receive and sign for them. A few days later I ended up with a notice on my door at home that a package from "Guest Services" had attempted to be delivered and they would try again the following day (again when nobody would be home).

I called Guest Services and after being on hold about 10 min. I got cut off. So I e-mailed them and they said this was a "problem they were trying to correct" so obviously my situation wasn't unique. They contacted UPS and gave them the correct delivery address and I thought all was taken care of!

When it was delivered to my work address it had some guy's name on the package! Have no idea who this guy is but the only way the people at work knew it was supposed to go to me is because the new address sticker didn't quite cover the old one and they could see my name on the old delivery label.

I e-mailed Guest Services again saying I planned on ordering more gift cards but was really hesitant and they said feel free to call them when I place my next order to verify they were being sent to the correct name and address.

Sorry to be so long winded. I guess I'm still a bit irritated with the whole ordeal.

BethR
10-26-2006, 06:47 AM
Liz, did you have to sign for the package because the gift cards were worth over a particular amount of money?

Because when I ordered mine this summer - 2 $25 ones, ordered separately - they came in the regular US Mail.

Liz
10-26-2006, 09:20 AM
Liz, did you have to sign for the package because the gift cards were worth over a particular amount of money?

Because when I ordered mine this summer - 2 $25 ones, ordered separately - they came in the regular US Mail.

I don't know if it was due to the amount of the cards. I just assumed they did that with all orders since these are my first ones. I had two $50 cards in my package.

kenika
10-26-2006, 09:51 AM
I had a similar experience, I order a $500.00 gift card, and had it shipped to my work address. Since the bill to and ship to were different, they called me to verify the address. I did receive it promptly but that was kinda the point, it was a surprise and didn't want it to come to my home, and then we have a message to call guest relations at Disney. I know it is added security but if the name matches up and credit card info is correct I don't see doing this, what's the point of doing it online if you have to follow up with a phone call?

Kenika

WillCAD
10-26-2006, 12:09 PM
I had a similar experience, I order a $500.00 gift card, and had it shipped to my work address. Since the bill to and ship to were different, they called me to verify the address. I did receive it promptly but that was kinda the point, it was a surprise and didn't want it to come to my home, and then we have a message to call guest relations at Disney. I know it is added security but if the name matches up and credit card info is correct I don't see doing this, what's the point of doing it online if you have to follow up with a phone call?

Kenika

I guess they were just being super extra careful. These gift cards are still quite new to Disney and maybe they're still feeling their way through it a little.

mydogisbo
11-09-2006, 08:34 AM
Hi again!

Has anyone used their gift cards at the front desk yet?

Thanks!