PDA

View Full Version : Anyone With an Ebay Acct. Watch Out/ Big Scam

antree
08-04-2006, 11:59 PM
I just found out today, that someone got a hold of my password on Ebay and tried to sell a 4x4 TRACTOR CAT.
I have no clue how they got my password, I do not respond to the emails that ask me for information because something is wrong with my ebay acct.
I know all about that scam and I don't reply. But Ebay emailed me today and said that they cancelled the auction because it was listed without my knowledge. How did they know, that it was a scam? I received an email from someone who saw the auction and they asked me "how did this scammer get my information?' How did he know the auction was a scam? I didn't see it today when I was on my account, and tonight when I tried to sign on the scammer changed my password. So Ebay has my account frozen until they can prove I am on it and not the scammers. :badpc: So everyone be carefully someone is out there right now getting our information.

dementia412
08-05-2006, 12:16 AM
Don't wanna sound mean or uncaring, but when you found out about it why didn't you immediatly change your password? Or did you now know about it untill night, and that was when you tried to log in?
Sounds to me that the emails you got saying you'd been scammed might be the scam. :confused3

briannesmom
08-05-2006, 08:48 AM
But Ebay emailed me today and said that they cancelled the auction because it was listed without my knowledge. How did they know, that it was a scam?

Someone probably reported the auction. The auctions on hijacked accounts are usually pretty easy to spot. When I was looking on ebay to buy an embroidery machine half the ones I looked at (and reported) were from hijacked accounts. A huge red flag is the listing might say "Do not bid on this item contact me at (email address)" or "Do not use ask seller a question contact me at (email address) or your bid will be cancelled".

Hopefully ebay can resolve this quickly for you.

Good luck,
Amy

jenr812
08-05-2006, 08:58 AM
I just posted a thread on the community board the other day about my ebay account being hacked. http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1184866 So scary and frustrating and VIOLATING!! I am sorry it happened to you!

lost*in*cyberspace
08-05-2006, 09:11 AM
Hijacked accounts have been a major problem on eBay for about 2 years. As someone already posted, it's likely someone spotted the auction and reported it to eBay (they are usually obvious).

Hijacked accounts are hacked or the result of someone responding to one of the hundreds of phishing emails and providing their password to these thieves.

Don't wanna sound mean or uncaring, but when you found out about it why didn't you immediatly change your password?

OP mentioned that the password was changed by the hijacker. Thus, OP could not change the password because it would be impossible to log into the account.

antree
08-05-2006, 09:28 AM
I can not believe that they can Hijack the accounts like this. I did go in and change my passwordas soon as I found out. I wasn't on ebay all night, the scam must have happened sometime in the afternoon after I was off it. I got on my email late last night and I had all this email from ebay. At first I thought that was the scam, so I went to Ebay's page and there were the emails again. I couldn't believe what was happening. So I changed my password to Ebay and my personal email account password. Ebay still has my account frozen until they can prove it is me. I was able to change the account through forgot password. I have to contact them today. I haven't used Ebay in anout a year, I just started selling again this pass week and then this happened. :furious:

mtblujeans
08-05-2006, 09:45 AM
Someone probably reported the auction. The auctions on hijacked accounts are usually pretty easy to spot. When I was looking on ebay to buy an embroidery machine half the ones I looked at (and reported) were from hijacked accounts. A huge red flag is the listing might say "Do not bid on this item contact me at (email address)" or "Do not use ask seller a question contact me at (email address) or your bid will be cancelled".

Hopefully ebay can resolve this quickly for you.

Good luck,
AmyI didn't know any of this.....this thread is a real education for me! :guilty:

wendyl
08-05-2006, 02:10 PM
I can not believe that they can Hijack the accounts like this. I did go in and change my passwordas soon as I found out. I wasn't on ebay all night, the scam must have happened sometime in the afternoon after I was off it. I got on my email late last night and I had all this email from ebay. At first I thought that was the scam, so I went to Ebay's page and there were the emails again. I couldn't believe what was happening. So I changed my password to Ebay and my personal email account password. Ebay still has my account frozen until they can prove it is me. I was able to change the account through forgot password. I have to contact them today. I haven't used Ebay in anout a year, I just started selling again this pass week and then this happened. :furious:

I'm so sorry this has happened to you. I'm trying to figure out what might have happened so we can all watch out for similar circumstances---but I'm having trouble with the timeline and the details. When did you get the email from Ebay telling you an auction was being removed because they thought it was a scam? When did you change your password, and then when were you not able to log on because scammers changed your password?

It sounds like from your first post that you were able to log into your account using your old information during the day, and that you thought the scam must have happened in the afternoon, and then it wasn't until later that evening that someone had changed your account. But your 2nd post said late last night was when you got those emails from Ebay, and you were still able to log into your account to verify that those same emails were in your Ebay 'Mymessages'--and that you then changed your password. So, when did you attempt to log in and find out the scammers had changed your password?

lost*in*cyberspace
08-05-2006, 02:38 PM
I haven't used Ebay in anout a year, I just started selling again this pass week and then this happened.

Hijackers usually target ebay accounts which have been dormant for a while, hoping that the owner will not notice, at least until they can scam as many people as possible.

dementia412
08-05-2006, 07:24 PM
Sorry about that... I was confused by the first post, and had thought the OP had logged in earlier and for some reason didn't change it then.

My AOL was hacked once long long ago, and I was kicked off for illegal activity. I had no internet knowledge at the time. The next time someone tried that stuff a couple years ago I had to go through the proving I'm me stuff... ack! So enjoyable.

Good luck getting it all handled.

antree
08-05-2006, 09:58 PM
I know I was making it confusing. I was on Ebay early that morning and at that time my account was fine, but some time that afternoon my acct was attack without me knowning it. Later that night I get on my email and notice all the ebay mail. I try to get on Ebay and my password wouldn't work. So I went to forgotton password so I can change it, thankfully I was able to do that.
I talked to Ebay today, and everything is straighten out. I spoke with live chat, then they called me to make sure it was me. They said someone just looking through Ebay contacted them and told them that the auction looked fishy. Because the auction said payment must be made by Western Union, and not to contact them through ebay, to use an email address that was listed in the auction, and if any questions were submitted through ebay then all bids would be cancelled. So Ebay knew there was something wrong and they cancelled the auction and they were the ones that changed my password, so the hackers couldn't get back in.
Ebay got everthing done quickly when they found out.
Ebay says that even though you are on an Ebay site if you click on a link in an auction it will redirect you off of Ebay and when it tells you to sign in again that is when the hackers get your info. So there are many ways they can get our information. Ebay says we all should download their tool bar, it is free and if you ever get redirected off of Ebay it will let you know, before you put your information in.
So I will be downloading that tool bar after this.

wendyl
08-05-2006, 11:15 PM
I know I was making it confusing. I was on Ebay early that morning and at that time my account was fine, but some time that afternoon my acct was attack without me knowning it. Later that night I get on my email and notice all the ebay mail. I try to get on Ebay and my password wouldn't work. So I went to forgotton password so I can change it, thankfully I was able to do that.
I talked to Ebay today, and everything is straighten out. I spoke with live chat, then they called me to make sure it was me. They said someone just looking through Ebay contacted them and told them that the auction looked fishy. Because the auction said payment must be made by Western Union, and not to contact them through ebay, to use an email address that was listed in the auction, and if any questions were submitted through ebay then all bids would be cancelled. So Ebay knew there was something wrong and they cancelled the auction and they were the ones that changed my password, so the hackers couldn't get back in.
Ebay got everthing done quickly when they found out.
Ebay says that even though you are on an Ebay site if you click on a link in an auction it will redirect you off of Ebay and when it tells you to sign in again that is when the hackers get your info. So there are many ways they can get our information. Ebay says we all should download their tool bar, it is free and if you ever get redirected off of Ebay it will let you know, before you put your information in.
So I will be downloading that tool bar after this.

Makes sense now. So glad they got it all worked out for you!!!