PDA

View Full Version : Any eBay sellers stop accepting Paypal?

MosMom
08-04-2006, 02:56 PM
I am considering only accepting money orders. There are too many ways for sellers to be scammed and Paypal fees seem so high. I don't think my NPB rate will go up with MO as I always had quite a few with Paypal only as well.

If I said that it had to be mailed within 3 days, I don't think it would be that bad. It would help keep costs down and make me less at risk for fraud.

I sell kids clothes mainly and a lot of people have had problems with people replacing damaged clothes with new clothes and then photographing the damaged clothes for a refund. Paypal then automatically refunds the money.

Paypal never used to refund for anything but items that never arrived.

Anyway, has anyone else gone back to only accepting money order?

Nynaeve
08-04-2006, 03:12 PM
We try to avoid Paypal is well. The fees can get steep, and it annoys us that we don't have the cash after selling to buy things in stores here, it's stuck in the paypal account instead. We've never had any problems with people trying to cheat us though, that's a nasty thing those people do. :sad2:

The last few auctions we did, we accepted Paypal and MO, but we offered free shipping (and free insurance) if the buyer payed with a MO. No one took the deal, they all paid with Paypal. My sister says that she won't even bid on an item that she's interested in if the seller does not have Paypal, she uses it that much. So, we just keep offering Paypal as a payment choice to avoid that, and hope they choose not to pay with it.

I'm curious to see what others have to say too, we havn't really sold much on eBay recently because of this.

dbogen
08-04-2006, 03:16 PM
I am an infrequent buyer, but a frequent looker. I wont even look at an auction if it only accepts paypal. I don't have it, and after some of the stories here I don't think I want it either. It wouldn't stop me from buying.

Deanna :cat: :bored:

debster812
08-04-2006, 03:24 PM
I'm another buyer (haven't screwed up the courage to sell yet) who does NOT have PayPal. After having my debit card number swiped not once, but twice, DH and I are VERY VERY careful with accounts, and money.

Anthony1971
08-04-2006, 03:27 PM
PayPal does not protect the buyer... Read on about the Buyer protection there is a 25.00 fee and whatever is left the buyer gets providing there is money in the sellers acct, if there is no money you are only covered to a specified amount and only a percentage... I ahve no expereince with damage or different then stated.
PayPal to me.. Does nothing for the buyer or seller BUT it does allow you to accept and use credit cards which is enough to allow a LOT more people to but something they may not have..... so it is needed
But again I do not like it for either..........

Plantlady
08-04-2006, 03:53 PM
I do NOT accept paypal. Years ago, someone paid me with a stolen credit card, and about a year later, it was reported stolen. (I imagine it was more of a relationship ending type of stolen credit card, since it took a year to report)

Anyway, Paypal sided with them, since I couldn't prove I shipped it (I was new to ebay, and wasn't keeping my recipts for a year). I pointed out that I got possitive feedback, that they were happy with the item, but that wasn't proof enough.

Well, I felt that that paypal should cover that loss, not me, the seller, so, I stopped using them. I only accept MO and checks at this point. I do experience people being late sending them to me, since it's inconvient for them. I try to be patient with them.

However, I must admit, when I buy a product, I do prefer the convience of paypal.

MosMom
08-04-2006, 03:55 PM
Plantlady,

Do you find only accepting MO's limits your sales or do you have no problem?

taraprather
08-04-2006, 03:58 PM
I am a seller and a buyer and I stopped using paypal! They screwed me! check out paypalwarning dot com. They held onto $2500.00 of my money for 180 days, I just got it back after 6 long months 2 days ago! PAYPAL SUCKS...
now mind you, I've had paypal for over 5 years before this happened and I never had any sort of problem with them. Stay away from paypal!

lost*in*cyberspace
08-04-2006, 04:06 PM
I've been an eBay buyer and seller for 9 1/2 years and a PayPal user for over 6 years and have never had a problem with PayPal. As a seller, you are protected if you read, understand and follow PayPal's rules for Seller Protection. It's not that hard to do. Most complaints from sellers I have heard usually arise because the seller failed to follow the rules.

PayPal does not protect the buyer... Read on about the Buyer protection there is a 25.00 fee and whatever is left the buyer gets providing there is money in the sellers acct,

You are mistaken, read the policy again. There is NO fee for PayPal Buyer Protection (you are confusing this with eBay buyer protection, which does charge a $25.00 fee). As long as you fund your PayPal purchase with a CREDIT CARD, you are fully protected if you do not receive the item from the seller and he/she cannot prove delivery. It doesn't matter if the seller has money in his PayPal account or not (this only matters if you funded your PayPal payment with a PayPal balance or from your bank account), you will get a complete refund, including shipping.

As for the cost of PayPal fees, how much does it cost to drive to the bank to deposit checks? Or fees when some deadbeat bounces a check to you? Just add a small handling charge to every auction to cover this (and no, don't ever state in your auctions that you charge for using PayPal).

As a buyer, I won't even look at auctions where sellers don't accept PayPal. With so many scammers on eBay these days, paying via credit card is the only safe way to go.

tarheelmjfan
08-04-2006, 04:09 PM
We've recently started selling, but I've been buying for a while. A few months ago I bid on an item, w/o noticing they only accepted personal checks & money orders. I wasn't happy with myself for not reading the terms better. Needless to say, it's a mistake I won't repeat. So no, I wouldn't buy from anyone who didn't offer Paypal as an option. I don't really like going the check route, because it slows down the process so much. I definitely wouldn't go through the hassle of getting a money order just to purchase something on eBay, unless it was a really expensive item at a great price. It seems that most people prefer using Paypal. All our buyers so far (about 60) have paid through Paypal. Noone has even asked to pay with anything else. Whatever you decide to do, I hope you have good luck with it. :wizard:

aynt79
08-04-2006, 04:14 PM
I buy and sell on Ebay once in awhile. I usually accepted only Paypal because I don't want to deal with waiting for payment in the mail and then for it to clear before shipping the stuff out. But I don't sell very much, so if the fees aren't worth it I won't bother to sell the item.

As a buyer, I won't even bid on an item if they don't accept paypal (or maybe bidpay). I don't want to wait the time it takes for my personal check to get the seller and then however long it takes to clear before the item even gets shipped, nor do I want to bother to go out and have to get a money order and then mail it. I love the convienence of clicking a button and the money being instantly sent.

Plantlady
08-04-2006, 04:17 PM
Plantlady,

I typically have no problem selling my items. I assume that they might of sold for more, if I would accept paypal.

babiesX2
08-04-2006, 05:09 PM
I read some of the stories on PayPalwarning.com :earseek: I've read stories on here that make me nervous, but sheesh! Some of the stories there are horrendous! Craziness! :crazy:

Dh and I had decided the other day that eBay is more of a headache for such little profit. After reading at that site, I feel really confident we made the right decision.

CarolA
08-04-2006, 05:12 PM
Paypal protects NO ONE BUT PAYPAL!!!!

I tried to pay a vendor with a credit card via Paypal. They wouldn't let me for "My preotection" YEAH RIGHT!

A Mickeyfan
08-04-2006, 05:15 PM
PayPal does not protect the buyer... Read on about the Buyer protection there is a 25.00 fee and whatever is left the buyer gets providing there is money in the sellers acct, if there is no money you are only covered to a specified amount and only a percentage... I ahve no expereince with damage or different then stated.
PayPal to me.. Does nothing for the buyer or seller BUT it does allow you to accept and use credit cards which is enough to allow a LOT more people to but something they may not have..... so it is needed
But again I do not like it for either..........
I was burned by a seller & Pay-pal didn't help me.. why, just as you said, under $25.. even though it was over $25 with the shipping. I had to call my credit card company to have them credit me & they in turn charged back Pay-Pal. Pay-Pal had the nerve to email me & tell me that if I do that again, they will not allow me to use them anymore!! The seller that burned me also was no longer a seller on ebay so they couldn't help me either..

Toby'sFriend
08-04-2006, 05:26 PM
Well - personally I won't intentionally bid on an auction that only accepts money orders. I will bid on one that accepts a personal check, even if they want to wait a couple of days to make sure the check clears, that is ok with me.

It is just to much of a PITA factor to go out and buy a Money Order and mail it. Personal checks I can just go to my online bill paying service and put one in.

That might be something that you want to consider.

lost*in*cyberspace
08-04-2006, 10:02 PM
I tried to pay a vendor with a credit card via Paypal. They wouldn't let me for "My preotection" YEAH RIGHT!

You should be thanking PayPal, not complaining. There was obviously a problem with that particular seller and they could have saved you from losing money.

texasthree
08-04-2006, 10:11 PM
I dont bid on auctions that do not accept paypal. I find that to be very very few auctions.

Let me make sure I understand this all correctly.....if a buyer claims the item was not as described or not received, paypal takes the money from your account and gives it to them? What it there is no money in your account? I have been selling/buying on ebay and using paypal for years with no problems.

va32h
08-04-2006, 10:19 PM
I have never had any problems with paypal as a buyer or a seller on ebay, and I've been buying on ebay for 9 years and selling for three.

I would not bid on an auction in which the seller only accepted money orders. I shop online for convenience, and having to go out to the post office or grocery store to buy a money order defeats the purpose.

I would also be distrustful of a seller of high dollar items who only accepted money orders. That is one of the hallmarks of an online sales scam - that the seller only takes money orders or wire transfers.

cats mom
08-04-2006, 11:39 PM
My opinion only of course, but I do think not offering paypal as an option will hurt your sales.
I pay for almost every online purchase I make with my CC. Just gives me an extra layer of protection, so you'd have to have something I didn't think I could find from another seller AND at a really good price for me to bid and deal with the hassle of sending a MO. I would certainly never do it on a high ticket item.

I don't love paypal either, but it sure is convenient.

ducklite
08-05-2006, 06:45 AM
I buy on E-Bay every now and then, generally only from people with lots of good feedback, or people I know (animal shelters who use auctions as fund raisers) and won't bid on anything I can pay by Pay Pal. I jsut can't be bothered to go and find a place to buy a money order, wait in line for it, then mail it.

Anne

nbodyhome
08-05-2006, 07:30 AM
If I sold something on Ebay again, I'd never take Paypal - too many horror stories. There is a guy who sells chocodiles who it looks like only takes credit cards through Paypal - I might use that (in that instance), unless I can find out if he accepts checks. I do not trust Paypal.

I used to sell a lot more on Ebay (years ago, back when it seemed that nearly everyone was being honest) and it was better back then - Paypal too.

OceanAnnie
08-05-2006, 07:33 AM
I've only bought one thing by M.O. on ebay and that was by mistake. I didn't read the payment terms. I completed the sale as specified. But it was a lesson learned for me. Too much trouble! Now, I won't even look at an item that is M.O. only.

I don't like M.O. as a buyer or a seller. It's very inconvenient as a buyer (to me). And as a seller, I've had problems with people telling me they have sent a M.O., when in fact they have not. And then you get the, "I'll resend the M.O.". More b.s.. I don't like that kind of waiting game. That was my experience.

I like Paypal.

mamalle
08-05-2006, 07:35 AM
I will not bid on something without paypal- I have had to use their services in the past and have never had a issue. so it takes a few days to transfer over oh well. I also always offer it with my auctions. its so much easier.

DBarber600
08-05-2006, 08:03 AM
I'm very surprised at what I am reading about Paypal! We use it for ebay and love it. There have been several times that we have had fees refunded due to nonpaying bidders or purchase price refunded as we've had a one or two cases where our purchased item didn't ship. Also, people tend to overpay on shipping with us ... alot. Paypal is the easiest way to refund their overpayment as it is instantaneous.

I hate to use our CC and frequently use the Paypal CC (as there is always money in our account) to purchase through online stores, not ebay, without a problem. And, DH simply electronically transfers money from our Paypal account to our savings account several times per week so I am confused as to how one wouldn't be able to access their money.

lost*in*cyberspace
08-05-2006, 09:26 AM
Let me make sure I understand this all correctly.....if a buyer claims the item was not as described or not received, paypal takes the money from your account and gives it to them? What it there is no money in your account?

That's not exactly how it works. You are talking about 2 separate issues, an item not received claim and an item significantly not as described claim.

All sellers need to follow the Seller Protection policy, which requires items be shipped with an online verifiable delivery confirmation. If you are shipping via USPS, that means sending items with delivery confirmation and signature required for any item with a value of $250 or more. If a buyer files a claim for an item not received and you can prove delivery, you will win every time.

NEVER accept PayPal for a local pick up. Even if you have a signed receipt that the item was picked up and the buyer files a not received claim, you will lose. Ridiculous, right?

An item not as described is different. Not all sellers are eligible to provide this coverage (based on feedback rating). If PayPal rules against a seller in this type of claim, or a not received claim, they do take the money from your PayPal account and refund the buyer.

If there is not money in your account, you will owe PayPal. You can rest assured that they will pursue you for this if you do not pay them.

tarheelmjfan
08-05-2006, 09:43 AM
I've never used a money order to pay for anything. If I used my debit card to purchase the money order, would I have any protection? (Our DC is through Wachovia & gives us the same protection as a CC.) If not, I wouldn't purchase anything with a MO. If so, I don't see why purchasing an expensive item would be a problem. Please, enlighten me. :)

cats mom
08-05-2006, 10:21 AM
A MO can be purchased with cash, debit card, or traveler's check only.
I don't really know the answer to having any extra protection if you purchased with a debit card, but I don't think so. Maybe yours is different though. :confused3

Some money order services may have the option to stop payment if problems arise before the payment is cashed, but after it is cashed you are tough out of luck.

If I'm buying something from someone who has been a long time e-bayer and they have a lot of positive feedback, I might feel a bit more secure, but with all the threads about people's accounts being hi-jacked lately, maybe I shouldn't.
I just don't think you have much recourse if you pay with a MO and then never receive your item or have problems with it. Thus why I would never use a MO for a big ticket item.

Good information on Paypal protection lost*in*cyberspace!

I had no idea about the local pick-up thing. I have a couple of auctions for event tickets up right now where I offered a pick-up option to save the buyer shipping costs. I will be sure to specify that paypal cannot be used if they choose to pick-up. Thank you!

NY Disney fan
08-05-2006, 10:31 AM
There is a guy who sells chocodiles

LOL!! I had to go to ebay immediately to see this...ROTFL!! :rotfl2:

disneychrista
08-05-2006, 10:36 AM
There is a guy who sells chocodiles.

Chocodiles, you mean the hostess snack cake chocodiles? OMG. I used to love those as a kid. Would buy them on eBay but that it too funny.

tarheelmjfan
08-05-2006, 10:36 AM
A MO can be purchased with cash, debit card, or traveler's check only.
I don't really know the answer to having any extra protection if you purchased with a debit card, but I don't think so. Maybe yours is different though. :confused3

Thanks for the info. :) Our Wachovia debit card does have buyer protection. We've had to dispute a couple more expensive purchases. One was considered fraud, because the company charged us an additional $1200 for an item w/o our approval. Obviously, they wouldn't have gotten approval, if they'd asked. The other was for an item that never arrived, & no tracking info. was provided. After reporting it, our money was refunded on both in less than a week. It may be different, when purchasing MOs though.

ETA: I apologize to the OP. I don't mean to hijack your thread. Hopefully, this info will help others who have questions about paying with or receiving MOs.

~Kathie
08-05-2006, 10:46 AM
As a seller, I only accept PayPal. I stopped taking personal checks a long time ago after several bounced. Money orders have too long a turnaround time.

As I buyer I prefer to use PayPal especially for larger items so I can use my CC. I've had a couple of incidents in the past where I never received my item and I was able to get my $$ back by filing a chargeback.

Anyone who uses a Credit card check the CC terms of your company. If you file a chargeback with Washington Mutal that item must have been purchased within 100 miles of your home or be one of their credit cards in order for you to dispute the charge. Good thing the CC I used was the PayPal CC (not the debit card where the funds come from your PayPal account). Washington Mutal is the bank for the PayPal CC. Otherwise.......I would have been stuck for $100!!

I did file a chargeback and then filed fraud charges with the sellers State Attourney General. They literally called her and told her to pay me back or they were going to take her to court. Since I was granted the chargeback, she paid PayPal. Sh claimed PayPal and ebay never notified her about the dispute. Yeah right.

Now I use my AMEX for every purchase and pay through PayPal.

HeatherFeather
08-05-2006, 10:52 AM
Speaking as mainly a buyer, I will most usually not even consider buying from a seller that doesn't take Paypal. I might buy from someone that takes a personal check, but only if it is something that is hard to find and infrequently listed on Ebay. Buying a money order and sending it in the mail is both a hassle and extra cost to me....price of money order, gas to drive and buy it, stamp to send it.

I don't like that Paypal is essentially a monopoly and eats away at seller's profits, the cost of which is often passed on to me the buyer. However, I see it as a necessary evil for the sake of convenience and the fact that I am protected when I pay via credit card.

Laurajean1014
08-05-2006, 11:57 AM
Plantlady,

I buy and sell and I will not bid on a MO auction if similar items are up for auction from sellers that are.

I have had more problems buying good products then selling (todate). But I do think Paypal is convenient.

LoriZH
08-05-2006, 12:25 PM
didn't read the entire thread, but wanted to chime in as a frequent Ebay buyer (very little selling) and I won't buy from a seller if they don't use Paypal, for the convenience purposes only.

I think that if you are uncomfortable then don't use it, but you may be turning off some buyers. It's so hard these days with Ebay and all the fees in order to make a buck, that's why I don't sell much. It's mainly due to all the companies and the stores, it's no longer a "mom and pop" type of auction house, it's all about making the bucks for ebay. I long for the days when it was just regular people like us buying and selling.

NewEnglandDisney
08-05-2006, 01:13 PM
...and it annoys us that we don't have the cash after selling to buy things in stores here, it's stuck in the paypal account instead.

PayPal now has a very convenient debt card. You have to be a member for three months, but I believe that is the only requirement.

You can then use it to get cash at an ATM (PayPal charges $1, in addition to any fees the ATM takes), but if you use it as a MasterCard (i.e. use it to pay for purchases at the store and signing your name instead of using the PIN) you get 1% cash back instantly.

Last month I used it to pay the cable bill - $100/mo - and it was nice to get that 1% credited back instantly.

NED

bicker
08-05-2006, 01:34 PM
I've had such middling experiences on eBay, and have heard such horror stories, that I won't consider bidding on any auction where the sellers doesn't directly accept credit cards -- forget about PayPal. The buyers protection is just too valuable to give up.

grlpwrd
08-06-2006, 02:02 PM
Well, PayPal actually offers limited protection because of certain restrictions.

I still offer payment via PayPal, USPS money order, checks, and BidPay (Western Union). 90% of my business is with PayPal.

I accept only USPS money orders because I cash them in right at the post office - no wait, no fuss.

EnnEss
08-06-2006, 02:09 PM
I would never buy from someone that doesn't take paypal. There are scams out there, but be careful and use common sense, even then I know things can go wrong, but thats how life is.

If a seller doesnt have paypal I do not have the time to go to the bank, when its open, and get a money order. I don't own cheques and the hassle of getting money orders then mailing them is too much. It may seem lazy but my time is more valuable than that.

Ive used it to sell as well, i never found the fees too much. It just gets worked into the price really.

bicker
08-06-2006, 02:10 PM
What I meant is that PayPal won't reverse a charge within 180 days of the charge, if I'm dissatisfied for any reason. PayPal is beholden first to the seller; credit cards place a lot more priority on satisfying card holders.

DizzKneeGeek
08-06-2006, 02:56 PM
check out paypalwarning dot com.
i hope everybody realizes that this site is just one big advertisment for another merchant company. i'm not saying that people havent had problems with paypal(i havent), but i would take all of the unsubstantiated stories on that site with about 9 grains of salt if i were you. IMO

Kay7979
08-06-2006, 08:06 PM
We are one of the real life horror stories of Paypal, so I assure there are some that are real. We had used them briefly a few years ago and had a minor problem, then heard a few other people's problems, and stopped using them. Then I read one of the threads here on the Disboards where buyers said they wouldn't buy items if sellers didn't take Paypal and they thought it protected them etc. etc. So we started using Paypal again, figuring maybe we would be getting more bids and higher prices if we did.

A few months later we had a huge problem with Paypal and once we extricated ourselves we closed our account and that was the end of Paypal forever. I don't see any difference in our sales. We sell antiques and collectibles and some higher end items as well as $20 +/- things, so I don't know if the type of merchandise you sell makes a difference. All I know is our buyers have no problem sending personal check, bank draft or money order. Since 1998 we have had only one check bounce and the buyer repaid us. I agree that Paypal is convenient, but it's not worth the convenience if you have problems.

Here's what happened: after we had transferred the buyers funds from our Paypal account to our bank account (nearly $2500) and mailed the item the following day, we got a notice that our account had been frozen and we were showing a minus $2500 balance in our account. Try to find a human being at Paypal who will talk to you on the phone and explain anything. You get endless impersonal email form letters and weeks of delays. We eventually learned that they were investigating the buyer for possible fraudulent payment. He was a repeat customer and this was very unlikely. His account was frozen,too. The customer stayed in touch with us and was a nervous wreck. We all were. I even talked to his bank, by his permission and they said there was no problem with his payment and they would be happy to discuss this with Paypal. I can't begin to tell you the hours I spent on hold with Paypal and the runaround I got, the endless emails from people whom you are not able to call and talk to directly. It was like being arrested in a third world country and thrown in jail with no way to get any answers or justice. We eventually threatened to sue Paypal. After a few months they finished their supposed investigation, decided there had been no fraud, and GET THIS, they refunded the BUYER our payment.

These people are just too stupid an incompetent to live. We spent another couple months with further threats to sue, emailing them that since they had refunded the money to the WRONG party, they should repay us under their seller protection plan, as this was entirely their own error. Eventually we got our money refunded by Paypal. Once it was safely transferred, I closed the account. I wouldn't deal with them again under any circumstances. I was sorry when Bidpay closed down as they were a good alternative. If anyone wants to use them, that's fine, but it has made no discernible difference in our business without them, except we are saving a lot of money in fees.

NewEnglandDisney
08-06-2006, 08:46 PM
What I meant is that PayPal won't reverse a charge within 180 days of the charge, if I'm dissatisfied for any reason. PayPal is beholden first to the seller; credit cards place a lot more priority on satisfying card holders.

If you use your credit card (as opposed to bank account) to fund the PayPal purchase, you retain that protection.

You just call your credit card company and do a chargeback to PayPal. I had to do it once.

Using a credit card through PayPal is just as safe as anything else - actually more safe than actually handing your card number over to a seller.

NED

dawnball
08-06-2006, 09:43 PM
From the point of view of a buyer - I prefer direct CC payments, but paypal is acceptable, since it only knows about my AmEx anyway. It costs me $5-6 to get an unscheduled money order in the mail, plus my time. Then I have the added wait time for the money order to arrive and be cashed and I have significantly less protection as a buyer. Paying by AmEx costs me nothing, and I can do it immediately after the auction closes. I've never had a problem with AmEx's protection.

That said, for small items that I'm not in a rush for - I'd be willing to pay by money order, as long as the seller is also willing to wait for it to be convenient for me to obtain the money order.

grlpwrd
08-06-2006, 11:12 PM
We are one of the real life horror stories of Paypal, so I assure there are some that are real. We had used them briefly a few years ago and had a minor problem, then heard a few other people's problems, and stopped using them. Then I read one of the threads here on the Disboards where buyers said they wouldn't buy items if sellers didn't take Paypal and they thought it protected them etc. etc. So we started using Paypal again, figuring maybe we would be getting more bids and higher prices if we did.

A few months later we had a huge problem with Paypal and once we extricated ourselves we closed our account and that was the end of Paypal forever. I don't see any difference in our sales. We sell antiques and collectibles and some higher end items as well as $20 +/- things, so I don't know if the type of merchandise you sell makes a difference. All I know is our buyers have no problem sending personal check, bank draft or money order. Since 1998 we have had only one check bounce and the buyer repaid us. I agree that Paypal is convenient, but it's not worth the convenience if you have problems.

Here's what happened: after we had transferred the buyers funds from our Paypal account to our bank account (nearly $2500) and mailed the item the following day, we got a notice that our account had been frozen and we were showing a minus $2500 balance in our account. Try to find a human being at Paypal who will talk to you on the phone and explain anything. You get endless impersonal email form letters and weeks of delays. We eventually learned that they were investigating the buyer for possible fraudulent payment. He was a repeat customer and this was very unlikely. His account was frozen,too. The customer stayed in touch with us and was a nervous wreck. We all were. I even talked to his bank, by his permission and they said there was no problem with his payment and they would be happy to discuss this with Paypal. I can't begin to tell you the hours I spent on hold with Paypal and the runaround I got, the endless emails from people whom you are not able to call and talk to directly. It was like being arrested in a third world country and thrown in jail with no way to get any answers or justice. We eventually threatened to sue Paypal. After a few months they finished their supposed investigation, decided there had been no fraud, and GET THIS, they refunded the BUYER our payment.

These people are just too stupid an incompetent to live. We spent another couple months with further threats to sue, emailing them that since they had refunded the money to the WRONG party, they should repay us under their seller protection plan, as this was entirely their own error. Eventually we got our money refunded by Paypal. Once it was safely transferred, I closed the account. I wouldn't deal with them again under any circumstances. I was sorry when Bidpay closed down as they were a good alternative. If anyone wants to use them, that's fine, but it has made no discernible difference in our business without them, except we are saving a lot of money in fees.

Geez, that is horrible.

BTW Bidpay is now operable on ebay. The word on the ebay community forums is that it still basically sucks :crazy: (I agree, but it's good for my international buyers) and that Google Checkout might be a good competitor to PayPal. I hope so...

IDoDis
08-06-2006, 11:30 PM
I've been selling and buying on ebay for nearly 8 years. I was there before Paypal existed and we all had to use money orders or checks. When Paypal came to be, I was leary, but ended up signing on as it became more popular. The service used to be free. Compared to the snail may way of getting paid, this way is much better.

Although I think their fees are ridiulously high and unfair, I continue to use them because it is "the ebay way." I've never been burned by Paypal in my thousand ++ transactions. A coworker of mine, however, had her identity stolen when she mailed a personal check to an ebay seller who never sent her item to boot. She had no recourse since she paid with a check. So never send a personal check! Money orders yes, checks -- no!

One time I transferred some funds to my DH's account, only I typed in the wrong email address (left off a number). The money went to someone else's account. I called Paypal and they said not to worry. They contacted the other person and she sent the money back. Paypal didn't charge us any fees. This has happened to me twice (sending the money to the wrong person, but it was the same person both times!!). The human (yes, human) I spoke to was very friendly and reassuring.

I know there are tons of horror stories and you can read them all over the internet, but for every upset customer, there are 100 happy ones. Unfortunately, you don't ever read those stories because people only want to hear the bad stuff. Same for any product you decide to buy and google to see the consumer complaints. I know it's not perfect, but I won't buy from a seller who doesn't accept Paypal, and I only accept Paypal from my buyers.

PatMcDuck
08-06-2006, 11:33 PM
I am a seller/buyer on ebay. I use paypal, and most buyers use it too. I like it, $$ comes fast, so I can ship items right out, etc. I have waited for weeks for people to send money orders.

BUT, I have been in a couple of situations where Paypal sided with my unreasonable buyers, and that made me mad. (I submitted proof of my side of the issue, they "fought" for me with the buyers credit card co, but caved in the end) Basically, they can and do refund unhappy buyers AND let them keep the item. Another argument I had with a buyer, over a so called broken item went on and on, because I agreed to send return postage $$, but would not return the item $$ until I got it back. The buyer wanted it ALL up front. I said, you can't call a store, get credit, and tell them you will return the item in a week or so....... Forget the point that the item was working when shipped. Finally we "settled" for me sending $$ to "repair" the item. ARGHHH. When I get these situations I sometimes take a month off Ebay to regroup.

fivefordisney
08-06-2006, 11:52 PM
I never bid unless I can use Paypal. Admittedly, it is pure convenience. Paypal is easy and quick, and I have never had a problem. I think using the credit card through Paypal seems pretty safe.

I really would never bid on something that required me to get a money order. It is just too much of a pain... I have three kids and a job. The thought of adding an extra errand to my already crammed and crazy schedule is beyond me.

I'd try to stick it out with Paypal, IMVHO... Good luck.

DMRick
08-06-2006, 11:53 PM
I can't imagine not using Paypal. I want my sale finished asap, and since over 95% pay with Paypal, I get my wish. It's much cheaper than what a credit card would cost me, with no monthly fees. I have put a few high priced items up without Paypal, and got complaints...people wanted to use their cc to pay, to give them protection. Myself, I love PP.

nurseypoo5
08-07-2006, 12:04 AM
Just to tell you, i have NOT read all the responses, but i can say for me, I DO NOT BUY FROM SELLERS WHO DO NOT ACCEPT PAYPAL. I capped that so its not missed lol.

Its just to much trouble to go to the post office and mail off a money order and risk it getting lost in the mail and having to keep up with my reciept etc. Not when i can buy what i need with a click of my mouse.

Just giving my opinion.

DizzKneeGeek
08-07-2006, 12:59 AM
We are one of the real life horror stories of Paypal, so I assure there are some that are real.
I'm sure your story is real and I'm sorry you went throught it. I'm also sure that there are many others who have had problems with paypal. The point I was trying to make was that I find it suspect of this paypalwarning website that it is nothing more than an advertisement for another merchant company looking for business. If this paypalwarning site was purely for informational purposes, rather than selling a product; I'd have more faith in it.

IDoDis
08-07-2006, 04:35 PM
There was a story in our newspaper just this morning about a man who sold a car on ebay. Someone in who was supposedly in Canada, purchased the vehicle and sent a cashier's check to cover the selling price, plus money to have the car transported back to Canada. When the seller went to the bank to cash the check and use some of those funds to have money wired to the transport company, he found it it was a fake cashier's check. Had the bank not found this out, the man would have deposited his funds, but also taken out a few thousand of that money for transport fees and wired it to Canada. By the time the bank would have discoverd that the cashier's check was a fake, the ebay seller would have been out the few grand that he had paid to the transport company (which was a fraud).

The police said they are seeing more and more fraud with cashier's checks that are fake, but are made to look just like a money order from the PO or a cashier's check from the bank due to computer programs that can make these look like the real thing to the naked eye. They are advising now that people wait a week for the cashier's check to clear before mailing out sold goods. So, it's as bad as waiting for personal check to clear. For me, that leaves out any possiblity of accepting either personal checks or cashier's checks from buyers. Also, as a buyer, I will not send a personal check because of the identity theft risk.

mamaprincess
08-08-2006, 09:32 AM
I don't bid on items that don't accept paypal and I am a frequent ebayer and use paypal on other sites. I also sell on my own site using paypal and have not had a problem either way. I wonder if some of the horror stories out there are from the competition?