PDA

View Full Version : Which is cheaper to run? Inspired by the outrageous cost of electricity.

luvdzne
08-04-2006, 02:38 PM
Do you think it is cheaper to run 5 fans in the house or turn on the central air? I have been running the air for weeks now with the hot weather. Yesterday was beautiful so I opened the house up. Today it is back to being hot again. DH says to turn on the air, but I told him I would just turn the fans on. He says it probably takes more electricity to run all the fans as it does to turn the air on. Which do you think takes more electricity?

mikesmom
08-04-2006, 03:17 PM
It takes more electricity for the air conditioner. Fans are good. For every degree you can change on the air conditioner you can get 1-2% off the electric bill. So, if you can run the air at 78 degrees instead of 72 degrees you will probably shave 10% off your bill.

Also unless you got a really good cool snap for more than a few hours, DON'T open your windows. Air conditioners are designed to remove humidity as well as heat. The air outside is humid so the air conditioner will have to work that much harder to remove the humidity once you turn it back on.

Another way to save is to avoid using any appliance that generates heat. Particularly avoid them during peak times. So if you can avoid (or cut down) using the dishwasher, stove, washing machines and dryers, hair dryers and irons between 10 AM and 8 PM, you can lower the bill.

This is probably more info than you needed. I do PR for a power company in the Southwest and we just did a long energy savings article for the website. Your local energy company probably has some tips posted also. If not, the utility that I know has tips posted is called Stillwater Power in Stillwater, Oklahoma. stillwaterpower dot com.

luvdzne
08-04-2006, 04:08 PM
It takes more electricity for the air conditioner. Fans are good. For every degree you can change on the air conditioner you can get 1-2% off the electric bill. So, if you can run the air at 78 degrees instead of 72 degrees you will probably shave 10% off your bill.

Also unless you got a really good cool snap for more than a few hours, DON'T open your windows. Air conditioners are designed to remove humidity as well as heat. The air outside is humid so the air conditioner will have to work that much harder to remove the humidity once you turn it back on.

Another way to save is to avoid using any appliance that generates heat. Particularly avoid them during peak times. So if you can avoid (or cut down) using the dishwasher, stove, washing machines and dryers, hair dryers and irons between 10 AM and 8 PM, you can lower the bill.

This is probably more info than you needed. I do PR for a power company in the Southwest and we just did a long energy savings article for the website. Your local energy company probably has some tips posted also. If not, the utility that I know has tips posted is called Stillwater Power in Stillwater, Oklahoma. stillwaterpower dot com.

Thanks for the great info! :wave:
Off to turn off the dryer till tonight! :)