PDA

View Full Version : SOG and lack of "Disney" theming?

Family Fun Mom
08-04-2006, 11:56 AM
Many people say they missed the "Disney" feel at the SOG. We are considering a stay there in 2007 and I really would like to know exactly what's missing as far as "feel". We stayed at POR in 2005 and LOVED it, we loved nearly everything about it. However, we are a family of five and the kids are getting bigger. Staying in one tiny room with double beds and a cot on the floor (trundle bed) isn't very appealing. Deluxe rates are waaaaaaaaay out of our price range, so it's POR or SOG for us.

We will have our car, so bus service isn't a huge issue. We loved the dining plan, but it isn't a deal breaker for us (we were considering not getting it anyway because we don't really want to spend all that time sitting inside restaurants, we want to play!). Our kids can have a blast in any pool as long as it has water.

What exactly will I miss? Please be as specific as possible. Is it really that important when mostly you just sleep in the room?

Thank you soooooooo much :goodvibes :goodvibes :goodvibes

tinkerbell1967
08-04-2006, 12:30 PM
I think what they are saying is that the resort does not have the typical Disney theming as far as decoration and themes. It is a great resort, we loved staying at SOG but that was the one thing missing, just the theming and the decorations. Everything else I liked, the transportation and the workers were wonderful!

Texa
08-04-2006, 02:54 PM
We were just there in June and I didn't notice any lack of themeing. You can hear the fireworks at night. Twice we saw the fireworks from the bus as we were returning into the resort. There is a huge Mickey in the Lobby and once we had characters come visit in the lobby. The PX is full of Disney merchandise. The main pool is shaped like Mickey's head. I've stayed at several Disney resorts and I'm always puzzled when people comment on the lack of themeing. You are so obviously at the MK area of DisneyWorld! I would think of it as Country Cottage themeing. But that is just me.

pixiepower1971
08-04-2006, 03:03 PM
The only resorts that have Disney theming, IMO, are the value resorts.
SOG is a very nice resort. We stay there a few times a year. My kids love to stay other places but they know that SOG gives us the most room and costs less $$. That means $$$ for more trips or things in the park.

With 5 people...I would go with SOG in a instant over POR. So much more comfortable.

You will miss
no Mickey soap/shampoo
no Disney TV
no resort tv
no KTTW(no charging to the room)
no Stitch wake up call

but you get
queen beds, a nice daybed/twin bed,bus service to TTC every 15 mins on the nose,typically very nice employees and very clean rooms.

PM if you have any other questions

Piglet4Ever
08-04-2006, 03:21 PM
We stayed at SOG for the first time last year and loved it. We had stayed at POR a few yrs before and thought we would miss the "Disney" feel but we didn't in the least. We are staying at SOG again this year and can't wait. The room size is awesome, we loved walking around the resort, and we walked over to the Poly everyday for one thing or another, so that was awesome. :thumbsup2

stm61
08-04-2006, 05:16 PM
depending on your rank and the time of year you go, it may be cheaper to stay at POR. I'm E6 and go the wk of Labor Day. The resort prices basically are the same, plus I get free dining at POR. You're driving, so you don't have to depend on the buses, but it now costs about $10 a day to park at SOG. We also have 5 and have to stay at POR. The rms are a little smaller, but we only use them to sleep. The size difference doesn't make a difference to us, we're not spending enough time in the rm to really notice. The restaurants aren't that great either, though they are cheaper.

bayoutinksmom
08-04-2006, 06:12 PM
depending on your rank and the time of year you go, it may be cheaper to stay at POR. I'm E6 and go the wk of Labor Day. The resort prices basically are the same, plus I get free dining at POR. You're driving, so you don't have to depend on the buses, but it now costs about $10 a day to park at SOG. We also have 5 and have to stay at POR. The rms are a little smaller, but we only use them to sleep. The size difference doesn't make a difference to us, we're not spending enough time in the rm to really notice. The restaurants aren't that great either, though they are cheaper.

According to SOG it is 5 dollars per day to park.

badblackpug
08-04-2006, 06:43 PM
Did you consider a family suite at ASMu - definitely Disney themed!!

Family Fun Mom
08-04-2006, 07:51 PM
depending on your rank and the time of year you go, it may be cheaper to stay at POR. I'm E6 and go the wk of Labor Day. The resort prices basically are the same, plus I get free dining at POR.

That's exactly what happened last year. We had SOG booked, then Disney announced the free dining and we switched. I really loved POR, but I have to admit we were cramped. That was last year. The kids have grown quite a bit since then and we have one more year to go until our next Disney trip. They're just going to get bigger. Double beds do not work for us. The queen beds at SOG are the biggest draw at the moment.

My hubby is E-5. You really can't beat that rate. We plan to go in November (2007). Free dining is long gone by then.

Family Fun Mom
08-04-2006, 07:54 PM
Thanks everyone :thumbsup2

I'm grateful for your honest insight. We still have time to decide but I'm pretty sure we are going to give SOG a try in 2007 :banana: :banana: :banana:

It looks so beautiful, I'm really excited :)

AllthingsPiglet
08-04-2006, 08:04 PM
I am not sure i this will be much help but you might want to read what "The Unofficial Guide" for Walt Disney World has to say about S.O.G. I have never stayed there but the guide rated it as one of the best deals in or out of the World based on how nice it is and what a great deal it can be. Always made me wish I could stay there!!
If it's true that it is a wonderful and affordable hotel I would take that any day. You'll get all the theming you need from your days in the parks I hope!

lost*in*cyberspace
08-04-2006, 10:11 PM
I am always puzzled by comments that people don't like SOG because there is no Disney theming. No stuff like Mickey soap? Are you serious? Bring your own and save $$$$. And what is the big deal about charging to one's room? Isn't it just as easy to pull out a credit card as a room key?

The Dining Plan is of no interest to me and my family, we just don't eat that much and wouldn't want to eat all our meals at Disney anyway, so that's not a plus to us.

I personally would rather have a big, comfortable, peaceful room at a bargain price than have a Disney decorated room at 3 times the price.

I have never stayed there but the guide rated it as one of the best deals in or out of the World based on how nice it is and what a great deal it can be.

That is absolutely correct.

Junebugwv
08-04-2006, 10:15 PM
I've been to SOG twice and POFQ 5 times and I really understand what you are asking. The theming at the Port Orleans resorts is very nice and when it is just me and my 2 boys going, I like staying there. But when my dh joins us, we stay at SOG. The size of the rooms, the 2 queen beds and the sofa sleeper (it is NOT a pull-out) is great. We pay the top price for the SOG room and still think it is worth it.

I think you will get enough of the Disney theme at the parks to make up for the rooms at SOG. I actually like the theme of the resort. If they had a slide at the pool, it would be perfect.

DisneyBrat
08-04-2006, 10:32 PM
We were fortunate to stay at the Contemporary in 2004, while SOG was being refurbished. :banana: ONCE IN A LIFE TIME 10 days at the contemporary for 99 bucks a night. :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: As far as theming goes I would have been SICK :crazy: if I payed 250 a night for that room at the Contemporary. Tacky decor and dark colors,but none the less it WAS the Contemporary!!!! :lovestruc One day when hubby retires were going to the Tower or GF LOL :) I figure then our 3 teens will be out of the nest and we can actually afford that..... :Pinkbounc ahhhh wishes can come true I keep telling myself.... pixiedust: pixiedust: pixiedust:

Just spoke with SOG 3 days ago and they told me $5 for parking :woohoo:

I also read in Unofficial Guide tonight that SOG is #2 on the list of best deals. Sorry I don't remember what the #1 was.

Disney Davo
08-05-2006, 10:27 AM
Last trip we statyed at SOG first week in June 06. Big rooms are the only thing going for the resort. Payed $115 a night. I just booked a MOD at the CBR for $94. I have 4 problems with SOG, 1. Advertised as compareable to a Deluxe, ( not even close) 2. Customer service 3. Transpertation to parks was horrible 4. Pool is boring for kids compared to a Value, Mod, or Deluxe.

bayoutinksmom
08-05-2006, 02:07 PM
Last trip we statyed at SOG first week in June 06. Big rooms are the only thing going for the resort. Payed $115 a night. I just booked a MOD at the CBR for $94. I have 4 problems with SOG, 1. Advertised as compareable to a Deluxe, ( not even close) 2. Customer service 3. Transpertation to parks was horrible 4. Pool is boring for kids compared to a Value, Mod, or Deluxe.

What deluxes have you stayed in? Please do not speak for all children. My daughter loved the kiddie pool at SOG and so did the other 6 children that were vacationing in our group.

Skatermom23
08-05-2006, 02:24 PM

We stayed at the CR SOG and the rooms at SOG are nicer. From what I understand the other deluxe hotels have smaller rooms. To the OP, I am somewhat a resort snob :rolleyes: and I loved SOG. The only thing missing was the disney atmosphere and honestly after hitting the parks commando style like we did, the only think we wanted when we got back to the hotel was a nice clean room!
We also never had a bus issue either. The pools was nice but even then we went to the water parks so that wasn't an issue either. Just don't get what some folks complain about...

Disney Davo
08-05-2006, 09:00 PM
Only visited the Deluxes for lunch and occasional walk around just to see what they offered. In my opinion the MODs offer so much more than the SOG other than room size and what I have seen from the deluxes I like them even better than the MODs. Yes the room size is excellent, we had a pool side room where my kids could come and go and they did have fun but told me they liked the POR better which we statyed at in March. I have stayed at other DOD/GOV resorts the Dragon Hill Korea and the Halekos Hawaii and I think those ones are nicer then the SOG. All the Disneys are themed and we like that. Would I stay there again? No, if there were no rooms at a Disney run resort I would stay off site for even less money and drive to the parks, we justed hated SOG transportation. I know of one resort offsite that offers DOD/GOV a 2 bedroom condo for $100 a night.

lost*in*cyberspace
08-06-2006, 02:35 PM
we justed hated SOG transportation.

Then why use it? It's a cinch to walk across the street to the Poly and take the monorail or walk less than 5 minutes more to the TTC.

GJM
08-08-2006, 10:24 AM
We also love SOG, I remember the first time staying it was just DH and myself we didn't know what it be liked there and we loved it.

I have never had a problem with the transportation, have walked to Poly and got the monorail, love the room size, no problem with customer service, DS loves the pool. We don't need the Disney theme 24/7 - after being in the park all day it was nice to go back to SOG and relax by the pool that never seems to be overcrowded.

Enjoy

noreinsguy
10-17-2006, 02:11 PM
For lots of good info on the SOG resort see some of the post from the "SOG questions" thread. Just search for it in the resorts board.

My stay there this year was top notch fun. :thumbsup2

PPFQP
10-17-2006, 03:30 PM
We've stayed at SOG twice, once for a week in 2000 and once for 10 days in 2001. It was before the refurbishment/expansion, so I know some things have changed.

We found it to be a wonderful, wonderful stay. It is a lovely resort, with a very calm, peaceful atmosphere. We actually liked escaping the "Disney" theming when we returned to the hotel from the parks; it felt like an oasis amidst the hubbub.

The transportation is different from the Disney resorts, but still very functional. As an alternative, you can use the Disney transportation options from the Poly. It's a quick, enjoyable walk from SOG to the Poly.

My dh is no longer military, but if we had a chance, we'd definitely stay there again! I think you will be very happy there; it's a great benefit for military families, who deserve all the perks they can get.

JLH
10-18-2006, 07:54 AM
We LOVED SOG - one additional perk not mentioned that the mods dont have is the balconies! Also the huge room has the sofa/tables area that is large and room service is great. (another thing that mods do not have)

I cant wait to stay there again - and I do think it is very comparable to a deluxe. IMHO

We also found the buses to be great and on schedule (you do need to know the schedule, which they will give you)

Texa
10-18-2006, 10:54 AM
We did a split between SOG and Boardwalk in June 2006. I prefer Sog's transportation hands down. You knew exactly when the buses would show up and they were always right on the nose. To each his own.

LisaG
10-18-2006, 12:24 PM
We stayed at SOG last October and LOVED it! The renovations have made it absolutely beautiful! The rooms are huge and the baths are private. I didn't like the draw-curtain in the vanity area of POFQ. We have also stayed at the Poly and would say SOG's rooms are nicer! The only complaint would be the pool. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles like the disney resort pools. My girls love the waterslide at the poly and POFQ.

We are going back to SOG this December and can't wait! :yay:

Navy Disney Fan
10-18-2006, 02:18 PM
The SOG is by far the best value for the money. Military families (at least the one's that I know, I am USN 20 years active) appreciate a good bargain when they have one. NO TAX and room sizes comparable to deluxes can not be beat. I have used SOG three times and will always use it again and again when it is available. In addition, when they are full they offer you alternates are a reduced rate. The have a PX that offers tax free items and again the price is better than what you pay in the park. :moped: The person that complained about the size and transportation should look elsewhere and I assure you there is many others in line that will appreciate the SOG with their families. pirate:

ntsammy5
10-18-2006, 02:27 PM
Only visited the Deluxes for lunch and occasional walk around just to see what they offered. I have stayed at other DOD/GOV resorts the Dragon Hill Korea and the Halekos Hawaii and I think those ones are nicer then the SOG. All the Disneys are themed and we like that.....

I assume you mean the Hale Koa on Waikiki. Been there and it is great, but the rooms don't compare to SOG. Restaurants are far better however, and the location can't be beat, but that's not a fair comparison.

IMHO, SOG is one of the best places to stay in all WDW. Have stayed at CR, Poly, AKL, and WL to mention a few and we keep coming back to SOG.

I disagree with OP on several points, most notably the transportation. The transportation at SOG beats all the other resorts we've stayed at. To the TTC for EPCOT & MK is great and dedicated buses to other parks is great. As for theming, I don't find that important, but again IMHO I believe the Value Resorts beat everyone on that. SOG also has the Evergreen, which is one of my favorite sports bars anyplace.

The rooms are huge and the service is great. I love it there and highly recommend it to anyone! One point I can't dispute is a comparison to the Moderates. Haven't stayed in one for years, so can't make a comparison.

Just wish the Shades had the free DDP. That would be perfect!

:dance3: :dance3: :dance3:

mog
10-18-2006, 09:36 PM

Just wish the Shades had the free DDP. That would be perfect!

:dance3: :dance3: :dance3:

Shoot, I'd be willing to pay for it - even if it isn't free, I'd just be thrilled to have the option!

HollyJoy
10-18-2006, 10:05 PM
There are no Disney Decorations (no hidden Mickey's, themed bedding, wallpaper, etc...) except for the Mickey Head pool (since this resort used to be the Disney Inn when owned by Disney).

We stayed at SOG two years ago, and this was the one thing that worried me about the resort. I thought my girls would be disappointed with the lack of Disney Decor. However I found that I was dead wrong! The resort is so nice that it doesn't really matter! Plus, you are in the parks all day, and I found it rather nice to come back to something not so themed. The staff was nice, the rooms are HUGE, and it has it's own buses! Can't beat that. You'll enjoy it and won't miss that 'Disney feel' at all :)

traviesojmt
10-19-2006, 06:14 AM
Our family of 4 did a split stay at SOG and AKL in July of 2005. We got amazingly great overflow rates to stay at the AKL. In the end, my DH and I decided we would actually choose SOG over AKL if the decision came again. The rooms at SOG were huge, way bigger than our rooms at AKL. We found the pool and staff to be great. We never had any problems with transportation. On the occasions that we chose to go to the Poly to take the Monorail, SOG staff would drive us to the edge of the property in a cart. We did not try any of the restaurants at the SOG and the free dining was the deciding factor on us staying at the POFQ this year. I would personally recommend the SOG to anyone.

ntsammy5
10-19-2006, 06:50 AM
Shoot, I'd be willing to pay for it - even if it isn't free, I'd just be thrilled to have the option!

You're right of course!

SusanMomOf2
10-19-2006, 11:50 PM
I absolutely love SOG. I can't compare it to other resorts from experience, but having stayed at SOG last July and returning next month, I'll tell you what I love about it.

I love being around other military families young and old. The resort is beautiful, has 2 pools, a jacuzzi, and a golf course. The rooms are humongus and beautiful. There were busses at least every 15 minutes to take you where you needed to go, and we really enjoyed the free rides. I can't think of a better place to stay and especially at the rates they offer... WOW. The only reason I'd ever stay at another resort is just to experience it, but in general, I'm a lifer with SOG.

AKLRULZ
10-20-2006, 04:20 AM
It's a lovely resort - feels like a Hyatt or Hilton. Rooms are well appointed and huge. Bathroom set up is great.

However, it's absolutely sterile when compared to the other Disney Deluxe resorts such as Animal Kingdom Lodge, YC/BC, WL, Poly, GF. There is no real theme carried out, the merchandise in the store is "off brand" and not officially licensed (at least it was in Oct 2004 when I last stayed there), there are no "Diseny touches" anywhere but the pool area - it's just a plain but very nice resort that happens to be in a fabulous location. The transportation is efficient but just okay. Loved the parking garage so the car was always shielded from the sun, though.

It was nice, it just wasn't grand and we felt cheated from a Disney resort experience. We'll always pay more to feel like we're at Disney.

I am thrilled this resort exists, though - I love to see military families have an option such as this and I'm very appreciative of the resort and what has been done with it.

tinkerbell1953
10-20-2006, 02:05 PM
My mom, aunt & I just got back from staying a SOG. We loved it. The price is right, the buses were always on time, buffet breakfast was good and the rooms are large. I like how it has lodge feel to it. I think it is a good choice. :thumbsup2

ougrad86
10-21-2006, 08:12 PM
I loved SOG and didn't feel cheated at all :goodvibes . We were surrounded by the mouse at the parks, didn't need him to come back to the hotel with us.
The rooms were huge, altho their were only 3 of us. Clean and well-appointed, with a nice view off the balcony. We didn't have a car the whole time there, since it is much nicer not to have to trudge back and forth through parking lots. Bus service, except for one instance, was on time.
We didn't try the pools - in the park from opening to closing, we never had time, but they looked nice.
And there was a big Mickey statue in the lobby. I took a picture of DS next to it ::MickeyMo :earsboy: .
It was big, quiet and had a great little store with a little bit of everything. Discount tickets and decent restaurants. Small frig in every room. Queen size beds. All the CS people we dealt with were very friendly (I don't think they are Disney?) We will stay there for as long as we are eligible :) .