PDA

View Full Version : A bit sneaky on refunds for storms.....

A Mickeyfan
08-04-2006, 12:07 PM
Disney has announced....
"Disney allows vacationers to cancel or reschedule if the National Weather Service posts a hurricane warning for Orlando, or for their hometowns, within seven days of their planned arrivals, said Disney spokesman Rick Sylvain."

now read carefully when a warning can go into place......
as per NOAA.gov

"A HURRICANE WARNING issued for your part of the coast indicates that sustained winds of at least 74 mph are expected within 24 hours or less. Once this warning has been issued, your family should be in the process of completing protective actions and deciding the safest location to be during the storm."

So basically Disney is saying they will give you a refund within 7 days of a warning being issued. A warning is issued when the storm is expected to hit within 24 hours.. will Disney refund you if you call them then??? Disney should have at least used the term Watch... here is when the Watch goes up as per NOAA.gov

"A HURRICANE WATCH issued for your part of the coast indicates the possibility that you could experience hurricane conditions within 36 hours. This watch should trigger your family's disaster plan, and protective measures should be initiated, especially those actions that require extra time such as securing a boat, leaving a barrier island, etc."

I am really wondering exactly what Disney means by their statement. I live in SW Fl.. when Katrina hit, it didn't hit me at all...yet my gas stations ran out of gas. Nothing was being trucked down to us at that point. I had to cancel the day prior to arrival. I did get a refund... now does this mean I will not get a refund because it wasn't my hometown... yet we were indirectly affected?????

DisneyMommyMichelle
08-04-2006, 12:12 PM
hmmmmmmmm

Bob P
08-04-2006, 12:57 PM
There is a HUGE difference in meteorological terms between a "Watch" and a "Warning."

Watches indicate there is a possibility the area will be hit.

Warnings indicate a hit is imminent.

Many watches turn into warnings, but many watches are cancelled and go away.

A Mickeyfan
08-04-2006, 05:39 PM
There is a HUGE difference in meteorological terms between a "Watch" and a "Warning."

Watches indicate there is a possibility the area will be hit.

Warnings indicate a hit is imminent.

Many watches turn into warnings, but many watches are cancelled and go away.
Hi Bob.. I see you are from NY. I am from FL... I know there is a difference.. but did you not get my point? Disney may not give you that refund 24 hours prior to arrival... that is the point. I very well know that a watch turns into a warning, I also know that a warning will be issued 24 hours prior to expected hit... My quotes of warning & watches came directly from NOAA.gov...

BCV23
08-04-2006, 05:51 PM
Since 24 hours is within 7 days, I think you would be fine. Seems reasonable and even accomodating to me. :confused3

Sorry if I'm missing something.

A Mickeyfan
08-04-2006, 05:55 PM
Since 24 hours is within 7 days, I think you would be fine. Seems reasonable and even accomodating to me. :confused3

Sorry if I'm missing something.
As long as they allow that 24 hr period..that is what I would question...
also as far as us that live in hurricane prone areas, we end up with no gas if a storm does hit... I am wondering if they will take that into account. I know this happened to me last Labor Day Weekend. There weren't any gas stations in my town that had gas, but we weren't hit ....

CarolA
08-04-2006, 05:57 PM
Technically they didn't HAVE to do anything.

I think this is very generous and LOT nicer then your local airline is going to do or probably a lot of other hotels...

DizGeek
08-04-2006, 06:12 PM
In the past, during big storms (Francis) they offered a full refund if people didnt want to come due to the storm.

triplejoy
08-04-2006, 07:47 PM
The way I read the Disney policy, if the warning takes place on a date that is within 7 days of your arrival date, you have the option of cancelling or changing your reservation without penalty. For example, if your reservation is for Sept. 10th arrival and there is a hurricane warning in your hometown or in Orlando for September 3rd or 4th, you can cancel or change your reservation.

I do not think you have to give Disney 7 days notice of your cancel/change.

Let's all hope this is not needed this year!

mking624
08-04-2006, 07:53 PM
24 hours is within 7 days...so why wouldn't they take that into account? If they specifically state "within 7 days" and mention no catch by saying "excluding the last 24 hours" then they have to honor that. I'm not sure why it's being picked apart. Seems pretty clear to me.

But as Carol said, what they're doing is very generous. Many hotels and airlines don't bother with that and count it as your loss.

A Mickeyfan
08-04-2006, 09:17 PM
In the past, during big storms (Francis) they offered a full refund if people didnt want to come due to the storm.Another thing I was wondering about... they allowed you to cancel even if it was not to hit your area or Orlando... as they allowed me when I could not get the gas to get up there...

A Mickeyfan
08-04-2006, 09:19 PM
Technically they didn't HAVE to do anything.

I think this is very generous and LOT nicer then your local airline is going to do or probably a lot of other hotels...
Correct, they do not. However considering the last few years, many might be a little leary to book. By announcing this, they may think it will help with the fear & therefore people will book...
I just think it seems fishy....Universal's is a no question asked deal.. see what I am saying...

A Mickeyfan
08-04-2006, 09:23 PM
ok question.. when the 5 day projected path is given, you can be on the end of it...for the 5th day yet you cannot cancel your ressie because the warning was not issued yet? I know cones change...trust me I know.. I went thru Charley when it wasn't suppose to hit us, but Tampa... we were at the very very end of the storm warning cone.. yet we go hit head on.. You need more than that notice (24 hours) for your peace of mind to get your house & everything else in order... sorry but 24 hour before landfall, the last thing you will think of is canceling your ressie....People get evacuated before the warnings even go up!!!! Yet Disney is saying that you have to wait for the warning.. That is the point I am trying to make.
Can anyone honestly say that (thoes that have been thru a hurricane) in the last 24 hours, they will remember to cancel their room??? That would be the last thing on my mind. That watch goes up...and boom, your frame of mind goes into overload.... house, insurance papers, valuables, cherrised memories etc...should you leave your home/should you stay. If you wait you may be stuck etc..... not calling Disney....

Instead of waiting for the warning to go up, I would use my 6 day window option to cancel. Even if you aren't hit with it, yet it is near you, chances are something near you would be affected by it..
example... I live on the Gulf coast side of the state, hurricane comes in on the east coast side, goes halfway thru the state (on the bottom), no...I wouldn't have had a warning but a watch... my watch would be over when the winds die down. I cannot get up there due to no gas coming down this end of the state or serious debris on roadways that I need to use to get there.. but they will not refund me???

FantasmicDreams
08-04-2006, 09:29 PM
When do the hurricanes usually stop? Is it likely there could be one at the very end of October or early November?

Talking Hands
08-04-2006, 09:32 PM
As long as they allow that 24 hr period..that is what I would question...
also as far as us that live in hurricane prone areas, we end up with no gas if a storm does hit... I am wondering if they will take that into account. I know this happened to me last Labor Day Weekend. There weren't any gas stations in my town that had gas, but we weren't hit ....
And. I get the tanks filled anytime there is a possibility of a hurricane in the area. Port of Miami was back in business as soon as Katrina cleared out. You need more than a tank of gas to get to Disney from your home. We don't.
Also we don't wait until there is only 24 hours before preparing our home for a hurricane. If we are in the 5 day cone we start preparations. THe very last thing we do is put up the shutters but we usually do that during the watch not the warning. No last minute in this house. And our house survived Andrew.