PDA

View Full Version : Gas Prices up again!!

lnh'smom
08-03-2006, 02:46 PM
Gas prices went up from $2.94 to $3.19 today. It is supposed to be due to hurricane Chris. You know, the one that hasn't hit yet. Anyone else's gas prices up in their towns? just curious :sad2:

4formickey
08-03-2006, 02:50 PM
we have been paying $3.15 to $3.25 since july 4th. :moped:

nlugo
08-03-2006, 02:51 PM
Ours went up .10 more a gallon. Don't you love the price gauging? Do they even need an excuse anymore?

motofox4
08-03-2006, 02:54 PM
i got gas this morning on my way in to work and it was $2.87/gallon

OhioTony
08-03-2006, 02:55 PM
:furious: Gas was $2.99 this morning. Now it's $3.15!
I assumed it was due to the Isreal thing :confused3 but it's because of a Hurricane that hasn't even arrived yet? :furious: :furious: :furious:
So if the Hurricane comes and goes with no damage to the oil companies do you think they will give us a refund? :rotfl2:

Savsmommy
08-03-2006, 03:01 PM
Gas is $3.03 here :sad2:

tripletots
08-03-2006, 03:03 PM
Our gas prices went from 2.99 last week down to 2.80 today at our local WaWa. Our Sheetz and Exxon is 2.86. I am in Richmond, Va.

lnh'smom
08-03-2006, 03:04 PM
:furious: Gas was $2.99 this morning. Now it's $3.15!
I assumed it was due to the Isreal thing :confused3 but it's because of a Hurricane that hasn't even arrived yet? :furious: :furious: :furious:
So if the Hurricane comes and goes with no damage to the oil companies do you think they will give us a refund? :rotfl2:

Oh, I am sure that it has to do with Isreal too. The hurricane was just the first excuse I heard. I'm sure they will give us a refund. Just be sure you don't spend it all in one place! ;)

lnh'smom
08-03-2006, 03:05 PM
Our gas prices went from 2.99 last week down to 2.80 today at our local WaWa. Our Sheetz and Exxon is 2.86. I am in Richmond, Va.

I wish I was in Richmond too! :thumbsup2

lnh'smom
08-03-2006, 03:06 PM
we have been paying $3.15 to $3.25 since july 4th. :moped:

That is awful. I really hope your gas prices don't go up $.10-$.20/gal today! :rolleyes:

mozzman
08-03-2006, 03:09 PM
i am from england and our price per litre not gallon is $1.86 :furious: come to our wonderful country but bring a bycycle :rotfl2:

Caitsmama
08-03-2006, 03:16 PM

2.80!! Oh, how i would WISH for that!!!! (Sad isn't it?!) :sad2: We have also been paying over 3.00 a gallon for MONTHS.. it is just really out of control, i am getting sick of it.. I more companies would come up with hybrid cars or something else to "fuel" cars on.. There HAS to be something!! :confused3

Harvest02
08-03-2006, 04:22 PM
Gas prices went up from $2.94 to $3.19 today. It is supposed to be due to hurricane Chris. You know, the one that hasn't hit yet. Anyone else's gas prices up in their towns? just curious :sad2:

I live in Westfield, IN and ours went up today too! It was $2.96 a gallon this morning and I went to get my hair cut this afternoon and saw it went up to $3.19 a gallon! What gives??? I don't get it. Oil prices actually went DOWN today because the tropical storm is not suppose to develop into anything. I was wondering if it went up everywhere else too, or just here in Indiana because of the Nascar racing being in town. But, apparently, it has gone up everywhere? Great, now the oil companies can make even MORE money!!!! It is making me really angry! And I have to drive to Chicago tommorrow too! BUMMER!!!!

kydisneyfans
08-03-2006, 04:22 PM
2.73 in Lexington this morning, now 3.09. I hope everything doesn't jump 15% in one day, my 3% raise won't cover it. This insanity has got to stop.

loveswdw
08-03-2006, 04:23 PM
$3.19 today here in the Bluegrass state

disneysteve
08-03-2006, 05:10 PM
Gas prices make no sense at all. Here in NJ, prices have been slowly dropping over the past couple of weeks. I filled up for $2.90 this morning, which is down 2 cents from a few days ago and 10-12 cents from 2 weeks ago.

DVC Sadie
08-03-2006, 05:46 PM
The highest we ever paid for gas was after Katrina and we ended up paying 3.79 a gallon. The prices slowly lowered over time and became steady at about 2.89 or so per gallon. We just filled up the other day at 3.29 per gallon.

I think why there is such variances from state to state is how the states tax the gas per gallon. We are always so surprised when we go to Maryland and the gas up there is so much less then what we pay down here and believe me our roads are nowhere near in the same condition.

donnabc
08-03-2006, 05:58 PM
Buy gas just about every day (I work for hospice and drive a LOT)...yesterday was $2.98...and I was steamed...today it is $3.03! Funny how the government can step in and regulate things that DON'T need it but are no where to be seen in helping us regular folks deal with such absurd price gouging!
Perhaps things will get better in a couple years if we elect a president that DOESN't have such close ties to oil companies

tabrizia
08-03-2006, 06:02 PM
Dang I would kill for gas prices under $3, we have been around $3.15 - 3.25 for months now.

Of course I would also kill for gas prices to go back to where they were 10 years ago when I was 18 and they were 92 cents a gallon, but I can keep dreaming I guess. As long as they stay under $3.50 I am happy at this point in time.

highland3
08-03-2006, 06:05 PM
We're seeing the prices rise north of the border too! We're at $1.09... per litre. I think that works out to about $3.30 per gallon.

Is is a long weekend anywhere in the U.S.A.? It's a long weekend in Ontario... so that's a sure sign prices will rise at the pumps! :moped:

ADisneygirl
08-03-2006, 06:16 PM
Gas on the west coast of Florida where I live is in the $2.85 - $2.95 a gallon range. Hess sells it the cheapest for $2.85. I just returned home yesterday from Jacksonville, and gas there was $3.12 a gallon. :confused3

dvcgirl
08-03-2006, 06:20 PM
Gas prices make no sense at all. Here in NJ, prices have been slowly dropping over the past couple of weeks. I filled up for $2.90 this morning, which is down 2 cents from a few days ago and 10-12 cents from 2 weeks ago.

Here, I see them heading back up again. And yet I see a greater gap between gas stations. The ones closest to me are $2.95 and yet less than a mile away I saw $2.83 today.

We're all just going to have to get used to this kind of thing moving forward I'm afraid. When the world's supply is just a hair above demand, and little blip on the horizon whether it be weather related, war-related or terrorism-related...it's going to cause prices to spike.

More and more experts are on board in saying that the end of cheap oil has arrived. And unfortunately, many don't see us going back down into the low 2 dollar range....rather steadily up if demand continues at the pace it's going now. Ironically, the only event that would really slow demand at this point is a world-wide recession. Unfortunately, that will only buy us so much time.

Ten years from now (I hope it's that far away anyway), we'll be looking back and saying..."man, remember when gas was only $3.00 a gallon."

lnh'smom
08-03-2006, 07:01 PM
I live in Westfield, IN and ours went up today too! It was $2.96 a gallon this morning and I went to get my hair cut this afternoon and saw it went up to $3.19 a gallon! What gives??? I don't get it. Oil prices actually went DOWN today because the tropical storm is not suppose to develop into anything. I was wondering if it went up everywhere else too, or just here in Indiana because of the Nascar racing being in town. But, apparently, it has gone up everywhere? Great, now the oil companies can make even MORE money!!!! It is making me really angry! And I have to drive to Chicago tommorrow too! BUMMER!!!!

You know, I never thought about the race in Indy this weekend. I am sure that has something to do with it. I am not sure exactly where Westfield is. I live in Fort Wayne, about 1hr 45mins north of Indy so I don't think ours should have gone up! :furious: :furious:

munchkin bunchkin
08-03-2006, 07:23 PM
We are at $3.29 /gal here, dropped.03 in 2 days... guess that means I'll get around 6 "dribbles" for $20! :rotfl:

DVC Sadie
08-03-2006, 07:23 PM
Buy gas just about every day (I work for hospice and drive a LOT)...yesterday was $2.98...and I was steamed...today it is $3.03! Funny how the government can step in and regulate things that DON'T need it but are no where to be seen in helping us regular folks deal with such absurd price gouging!
Perhaps things will get better in a couple years if we elect a president that DOESN't have such close ties to oil companies

Unfortunately, neither the president or congress has anuthing to do with gas prices since it is a traded commodity. Supply and demand is what regulates the cost of gas, plus conflicts and tropical storms. I hate the increases and I only wish it was the government who controlled the price of gas.

Maybe rationing gas would lower the cost but I don't see too many Americans willing to drive less or car pool more in order to use less gas.

debabe723
08-03-2006, 07:25 PM
Our gas actually went down this morning. I paid $2.95 yesterday morning and it was $2.91 this morning (plus I get a 3 cent a gallon discount if I use my Safeway Club Card so it would be $2.88). Makes no sense but I'm not complaining.

kmjmom
08-03-2006, 07:29 PM
It's impossible!! I thought I got a "bargain" today when I found a station with 3.19 a gallon. I passed two at 3.29. I can't understand why it must vary so much from state to state! It's all USA. :confused3

dvcgirl
08-03-2006, 08:05 PM
It's impossible!! I thought I got a "bargain" today when I found a station with 3.19 a gallon. I passed two at 3.29. I can't understand why it must vary so much from state to state! It's all USA. :confused3

Prices vary so much from state to state for several reasons...one being taxes. States all charge different amounts for tax on gas. Another factor is distance from refineries. The further away you are from a refinery, the more expensive the gas. Also, strict environmental programs (like California has) require gas that costs more to produce....which is why it's so expensive there.

disneysteve
08-03-2006, 08:07 PM
I see a greater gap between gas stations. The ones closest to me are $2.95 and yet less than a mile away I saw $2.83 today.
That's nothing. On one road I take to work, there are 5 stations in about a half mile stretch. This morning, the gap between the cheapest and the most expensive was 29 cents/gallon. Guess which one I went to :teeth: .

LoriKay
08-03-2006, 08:25 PM
This morning it was $2.84 and tonight it's up to $2.99.

deltachi8
08-03-2006, 08:32 PM
Government control of gas proces would insure inefficiency in the market and no incentive for the private sector to invest in alternate technologies.

PaulaSue
08-03-2006, 08:43 PM
Wow I thought ours was high. IT jumped 10 cents since yesterday to $2.99 for the cheapest grade. :confused3

dvcgirl
08-03-2006, 09:01 PM

There definitely was some price gouging right around hurricane Katrina...a year ago. However, what you are seeing now isn't price gouging....it's supply and demand at work.

Bush has next to nothing to do with the price of oil, well, except of course for involving us in a war that is leading to the further destabilization of the middle east. There is such a narrow margin between the amount of oil that the world actually produces and what the world acutally uses that any slight problem in the oil market causes the price of crude futures to rise. However, the reason that any skirmish, storm or terrorist strike rattles the markets is because of that narrow margin between supply and demand.

We all need to get used to these prices....there's only the smallest projected dip in average price projected in 2007. The average price project for 2006 was $2.67 from the EIA (energy information administration), but they also forecast that prices would peak in May and then descend through the summer with the normal spikes over the holiday weekends. That hasn't happened. Prices are projected to average $2.60 in 2007....I'll believe that when I see it. We've always had the gas spikes in the summer...and then we'd head way back down. We aren't likely to see than anymore.

Oh well, my point is that we could elect Al Gore in 2008, and it would have no effect at all on oil prices....

denecarter
08-03-2006, 10:09 PM
Maybe rationing gas would lower the cost but I don't see too many Americans willing to drive less or car pool more in order to use less gas.

I'm about to start a new school year in a new district. I'm actually taking a big pay cut ($4000-5000 range). BUT, my new school is 3/10 of a mile from my house (instead of 32 miles).

Were gas prices the only reason I switched? Nope. Going from inner-city to suburban and the 1 hr 45 min former commuting time I'll get back in my day are also important reasons. I had calculated my per day pay difference... IF gas was $2.00 gal, I was only making $5.31 per day more working in Fort Worth (with the 1 hr 45 min total commute time). I decided it wasn't worth it.

I hate the price of gas going up... but the more it does, the happier I am that I'm not commuting anymore! This teacher will be WALKING to school!

BTW... I filled up at $2.89 yesterday... didn't notice it today.

dvcgirl
08-04-2006, 05:56 AM
Unfortunately, neither the president or congress has anuthing to do with gas prices since it is a traded commodity. Supply and demand is what regulates the cost of gas, plus conflicts and tropical storms. I hate the increases and I only wish it was the government who controlled the price of gas.

Rationing may not do it, but $5 a gallon gas will sure put a dent in people's budgets and make them drive less. American's big fat wake up call on energy use is closer than any of us would like to think it is. Ultimately, say 20 years from now, I think that we'll all be better off because of the changes that lie ahead. However, the pain that we're all going to endure for being so oil dependent won't be particularly fun.

mzlee
08-04-2006, 09:40 AM
Gas was $2.97 yesterday and $3.19 today.

Grumpy's Gal
08-04-2006, 09:42 AM
we went to dinner last night and it was 2.86 and when we came back from dinner it was 3.09.

motofox4
08-04-2006, 10:09 AM
gas here went down $.02 since yesterday... :Pinkbounc

jpeppers
08-04-2006, 10:15 AM
Gas is at $2.94 where I live in Washington state. It has actually recently been dropping.

kristin1724
08-04-2006, 11:20 AM
I live in Central Illinois (2.5 hours from St. Louis). Our gas prices went up at least 20 cents yesterday and the gas stations are blaming Tropical Storm Chris (which I heard was breaking up) and for the storms that St. Louis had two weeks ago!

DVC Sadie
08-04-2006, 12:59 PM
I'm about to start a new school year in a new district. I'm actually taking a big pay cut ($4000-5000 range). BUT, my new school is 3/10 of a mile from my house (instead of 32 miles).

Were gas prices the only reason I switched? Nope. Going from inner-city to suburban and the 1 hr 45 min former commuting time I'll get back in my day are also important reasons. I had calculated my per day pay difference... IF gas was $2.00 gal, I was only making $5.31 per day more working in Fort Worth (with the 1 hr 45 min total commute time). I decided it wasn't worth it.

I hate the price of gas going up... but the more it does, the happier I am that I'm not commuting anymore! This teacher will be WALKING to school!

BTW... I filled up at $2.89 yesterday... didn't notice it today.

I have to applaud you for doing something positive to change your situation. :thumbsup2 Walking to work, if need be is a great way to save both money and energy. I bet a lot of families will be doing the same thing in the near future.

jmminarik
08-04-2006, 01:13 PM
The further away you are from a refinery, the more expensive the gas.

Not necessarily. I get gas much cheaper in the boonies of PA than I do in Philly. Oddly, I found the same thing back in the day when Philly actually had major breweries. Apparantly both Brewers and Refiners have varying rates on what they charge their vendors based on what they believe the local market will tolerate.

-Joe

jmminarik
08-04-2006, 01:15 PM
Walking to work, if need be is a great way to save both money and energy. I bet a lot of families will be doing the same thing in the near future.

Impossible with the suburban sprawl that is most of the country. Now, if you can get people to move back into the cities AND all new suburban development to me more like the conceptual E.P.C.O.T, you gotta bullseye.

-Joe

dvcgirl
08-04-2006, 01:20 PM
Impossible with the suburban sprawl that is most of the country. Now, if you can get people to move back into the cities AND all new suburban development to me more like the conceptual E.P.C.O.T, you gotta bullseye.

-Joe

This is the problem. With suburban sprawl we have seen many folks move out to the boonies for those larger homes on more land. Sure, they'd have to commute, but it was worth it to them. Going forward this may not be the case. A lot of people didn't take into account that fuel prices would skyrocket and far outpace inflation. Will we see a migration back to the cities? Time will tell I suppose, but most of our cities seem awfully crowded to begin with....hard to imagine them filling up any further.

4formickey
08-04-2006, 03:04 PM
Let's see the oil companies take home 10 million or was that billion profit for the last quarter and we blame whom? We all talk about walmart and their wages but they give back to the community and help those in need.The way does the pump price goes up for the gas that is already at the station? The market are trading for next month delivery not for last week delivery. As one poster said what ever the market can bear. Just think if they ever produce a full size car that will get 50 mpg in the city. We can send a spaceship to mars and get it to send back pictures but we will not improve our mpg for cars. :moped:

jaycat
08-04-2006, 03:26 PM
The highest priced gas, was $3.11, the lowest was $2.98! Insaneness! :furious: