PDA

View Full Version : Mousekeeper Tipping - Rule Of Thumb

brock
08-03-2006, 02:25 PM
What's the rule of thumb to tip an average mousekeeper for a week at POR?

Who else do we tip?

I want to make sure I bring enuf $, so not to use our spending $ :thumbsup2

Thanks

BrianD
08-03-2006, 02:40 PM
I usually tip $5 per day. Some folks say they tip $1 per person in the room, and we have 4, so it's close to the same as what we do.

Other than that, I tip the Valet, when they take the car (about $2) and when they get it for us ($3 - $5), I tip bell services about $20 when they bring our luggage to the room, and when they load it in the car when we're leaving (we have a lot of stuff :)), I tip the room service guy about an additional $5, and I tip about $2 whenever something is delivered, like bedrails, a refridgerator, etc.

I always have to make a trip to the bank before our vacations so that we can load up on ones and fives. (Also, we have to consider coins for the toll roads)

Harambe
08-03-2006, 03:59 PM
I usually tip $5 per day. Some folks say they tip $1 per person in the room, and we have 4, so it's close to the same as what we do.

We do the same. But please remember to tip DAILY rather than weekly, since more than one person may clean your room throughout the week.

chickenskin
08-03-2006, 04:02 PM
We do a dollar per person per day.

JRawkSteady
08-03-2006, 04:05 PM
I Usually tip 1 -2 dollars per person.

misslissa
08-03-2006, 05:17 PM

Other than that, I tip the Valet, when they take the car (about $2) and when they get it for us ($3 - $5), I tip bell services about $20 when they bring our luggage to the room, and when they load it in the car when we're leaving (we have a lot of stuff :)), I tip the room service guy about an additional $5, and I tip about $2 whenever something is delivered, like bedrails, a refridgerator, etc.

I always have to make a trip to the bank before our vacations so that we can load up on ones and fives. (Also, we have to consider coins for the toll roads)

Wow... $20 for bell services??? I feel bad :blush: We've never tipped this much. Is this normal??? All of the other sound about right for us.

BrianD
08-03-2006, 05:34 PM
Wow... $20 for bell services??? I feel bad :blush: We've never tipped this much. Is this normal??? All of the other sound about right for us.

Like I said, we bring a lot of stuff! Others have said about a $1 per bag/item, so we probably tip a little over that, but these guys make beans and most of our guys have been very helpful & friendly (at least at the GF).

clonetothebone
08-03-2006, 05:48 PM
We tip $5 daily for mousekeeping(there are 4 of us), $1 per bag for bell service, and 20% for good service at a restaurant.

A good way to make sure you have the $5 per day is to put it in envelopes before you leave. I went to the bank and got cash the day before we left and printed out envelopes from http://www.themouseforless.com/ and then put them in the safe in the room. Each morning as we were leaving we would just pull out an envelope all ready to go and it made it so much easier. Don't seal the envelopes though in case you want to add to it. We had some good towel "critters" one day when we came back so tipped extra the next day.

hmp2z
08-03-2006, 05:57 PM
Does anyone else split their daily tip? We stay GF RPC, and we give a larger tip in the morning for the morning Mousekeepers, then a smaller tip for the evening (turn-down) Mousekeeper. We used to tip only in the mornings, but we noticed it was a different person each time, and didn't want to stiff the Mousekeepers on the evening shift.
Cheers!
Heather W

MartDM
08-03-2006, 07:56 PM
A good guideline is $2 per person per day; more if you leave the room in an unusual state of disarray or mess. Please do leave the tip daily as the staff may change throughout your stay and you want to make sure the person doing the work gets the tip.

DJ Disney Kid
08-03-2006, 08:09 PM
Check out my thread on the front page here, its got 4 pages full of replies.

brock
08-03-2006, 09:23 PM
Thanks ... I'm the OP. Your "tips" are great! :goofy:

AnninIowa
08-03-2006, 10:17 PM
We tipped 5 every night (there were 2 of us), plus 5 for bellman and 5 at restaurants since we were on the dining plan (since the waitstaff doesn't get their tips until pay day). We just got a bunch of 5's as it meant less bills in the wallet and we didn't have to stand there counting out 1's!

Miandrea
08-03-2006, 11:44 PM
After watching an episode on Oprah "The working poor" (people who work minimum wage jobs and still live under the poverty leave) I always leave $5 a day (one time I was very ill and I left $10) for two of us.

Usually $1 to $2 per day would be really nice.