PDA

View Full Version : I got my electric bill today

punkin
08-03-2006, 01:48 PM
It doesn't even include our recent heat wave (which still hasn't broken) but it is almost twice what I paid last month. Ouch. It's like death by a million pin-pricks with everything going up through the roof.

DVC Sadie
08-03-2006, 01:54 PM
I hear you! :thumbsup2 We haven't received our bill for the month yet but I am already dreading it.

DisneyGirl4188
08-03-2006, 02:07 PM
Mine was through the roof!

I can't wait until winter, but then again I dread buying propane. :guilty:

Princess89
08-03-2006, 02:11 PM
I almost died when I saw mine, and as OP said it doesn't even include the recent heat wave.

budbeerlady
08-03-2006, 02:18 PM
Mine was 30% higher than the previous two months. I just got it last week before the heat wave, I deceided screw it, I am going to be broke I might as well be cool and I turned the air lower! Next month might be $150 but I have had it. If I am going to be broke, then I am going to be really broke!

sorul82?
08-03-2006, 02:21 PM
eeeks!

dizcrazy
08-03-2006, 02:23 PM
my bill was sky high too - i just keep up with these bills. :confused3

Golf4food
08-03-2006, 02:29 PM
My bill was 34% higher than the average that I budget for, and just under 20% higher than last month. Of course, this is Florida and it's been hot and humid...

One advantage of hurricanes that people don't talk about much: When a hurricane knocks out electricity for a week, your electric bill goes down the next month! :lmao: :rotfl2:

Caitsmama
08-03-2006, 02:31 PM
I am dreading mine here at the shop.. i have had to have the AC running for about 2 weeks now, day and night- of course i turn it down to low and enconomic setting at night.. but ugh, this 100 degree weather now is killing me.. I am DREADING the bill!!!

bradleysnana
08-03-2006, 02:33 PM
duplicate post

bradleysnana
08-03-2006, 02:34 PM
Ours was the highest it has ever been by almost $100.00. And the really bad thing is that it is this high and I am still hot!!

Belle5
08-03-2006, 02:46 PM
Wow! I guess perspective is everything! My electric bill was $650. Talked to GF with much smaller house--hers was $690. Another friend (Miss Frugal) had an $850 bill. Another friend had a $950 bill.

This time last year our bill was about $400. I didn't know the $100 electric bill still existed!

budbeerlady
08-03-2006, 03:06 PM
Wow! I guess perspective is everything! My electric bill was $650. Talked to GF with much smaller house--hers was $690. Another friend (Miss Frugal) had an $850 bill. Another friend had a $950 bill.

This time last year our bill was about $400. I didn't know the $100 electric bill still existed!

I think I would faint if I got that bill. We have a little 1850 sq foot ranch, and everything is electric except our heat. The first year in our home the average was 35-55 a month. It has slowly been creeping up and this last one was $101 and change. I had figured $65 -70 like June was. Maybe I will stop whinning about my $100.

azgal81
08-03-2006, 03:14 PM
I am on the yearly average plan it works great because there are never any surprises when I see the bill because I already know how much it will cost me each month.

I always hated the summer A/C bill and was always scared to open it!

taximomfor4
08-03-2006, 03:18 PM

Wow. Sometimes I am glad we lived stuffed into a little house, lol. We are in 1200 sq feet. There are 6 of us. No basement, no upstairs. No central air.

for us, a HIGH electric bill is $180. We have a window a/c unit we bought last summer, and have been running it quite a bit the past few days so I guess I can look forward to some sticker shock too (on a lesser scale, of course, lol).

Caitsmama
08-03-2006, 03:20 PM

Holy Cow!! WHAT is exactly being run for all bills like that?? I would seriously have issues if a bill EVER came in to my house like that!! (My house is about 1800 sq. feet) .. :scared1:

lnh'smom
08-03-2006, 03:21 PM
I am on the yearly average plan it works great because there are never any surprises when I see the bill because I already know how much it will cost me each month.

We are on the budget plan too. I like never having the surprise too. however I hate it when you are behind and on your anniversary month, you get a bill for a couple hundred dollars to catch up! :furious:

Chicago526
08-03-2006, 03:22 PM
I guess our central AC being kaput is a blessing in disguise. We've only been running our two window units (one in the tv room the other in the bedroom) so our bill was only $75. :duck:

But, we have to pay $4000 to $6000 to replace said AC and furnace next spring...maybe a $300 electric bill isn't such a bad deal!

Hotdoggie1977
08-03-2006, 03:47 PM
I would die if my bill was $900. We have a decent size hosue and last month was only $93.

of the seas
08-03-2006, 04:08 PM
Same with us. We have a 2 story house with den and breakfast area and ours was $75. I was freaking at that! I guess it's not so bad compared to others. We have central air and I try to keep it at 79 during the day and 76 at night(our room is the hottest room in the house of course!) But these last 100 degree days, I've kept it cooler.

Dislifer
08-03-2006, 04:11 PM
Another thing that really ups the bill is a dehumidifier. I use mine and WOW! you can sure tell on the electric bill!

happybratpack
08-03-2006, 04:12 PM
Got mine yesterday, I about died. $502!!! That's about $120 more than my highest previously.

I hope hope hope I get a good tax refund this year so I can replace my AC unit. That should help a lot, but just have to make it through this summer!

Harvest02
08-03-2006, 04:16 PM
We have not gotten ours yet but I am afraid to know what it is going to be! Last month it was around $100, but with our air conditioning running so much, I am not sure.... :confused3

drgnfly30
08-03-2006, 04:19 PM
I'm on a budget plan so no big shocker when I opened mine... However that being said, thanks to an approved increase a couple months back (that was estimated to be 50-62% on average), my bill increaed 76% !!! and my whole house runs on electric!

I thought I had it bad but I was talking to a friend yesterday who has propane for almost everything in her house.. she locked in at $400 a month for her budget plan plus a $50-60 electric bill!!! Yikes!

kydisneyfans
08-03-2006, 04:20 PM
$87.00 here last month-we keep the upstairs at 70, downstairs at 72. Our bills topped around 120 last summer. Our November bill was just over 9.00, and we were home everyday.

punkin
08-03-2006, 04:25 PM
I would die if my bill was $900. We have a decent size hosue and last month was only $93.

I would die as well. I can't believe I'm complaining over a lousy $150, but the month before it was "only" $69.

Laurajean1014
08-03-2006, 04:27 PM
My electric bill is ranging about $400 a month.

leaannk
08-03-2006, 04:47 PM
Just got my bill for last month -- $375. And that is after just spending $2700 for a new outside unit. I think our highest last summer was just over $500. Our house is approx 3100 sf and 2 stories. I feel sorry for ya'll who are experiencing the heat wave. It's always HOT in Houston.

disneysteve
08-03-2006, 05:12 PM
I didn't know the $100 electric bill still existed!
Our July bill was $135.28. That's typical for this time of year. So no big deal here.

shoes99
08-03-2006, 05:35 PM
I live in Central New Jersey and it is still hot now at 98 degrees. I got my electric bill in the mail today. $267.98....ouch
We cook and heat with gas, so this is primarily the central AC and the basement dehumidifier.

DVC Sadie
08-03-2006, 05:38 PM
I feel blessed if our electric bill is less than 500.00 but as I stated previously we haven't yet received it. Keeping my fingers crossed here. :teeth:

Tinkerbelle32
08-03-2006, 05:50 PM
Got mine today. It was $149. Not too bad with the heat wave and all. We keep our house set at about 78 or 79. No complaints from me.

TDC Nala
08-03-2006, 05:56 PM
Last month's was $33.32.

This one may be a little higher because I have actually had to run the AC.

njcarita
08-03-2006, 06:17 PM
mine was a little over $200 -- but we have a pool pump , central air and a dehumidifer in the basment.

we heat and cookl with gas

Am_I_There_Yet
08-03-2006, 06:20 PM
My electricity bill is $350 YEAR 'ROUND! And I have natural gas appliances! :sunny:

ETA: This is for a 2,300 square foot house too. :sad2:

I'm used to it. I live in Hell... I mean, Houston. It's always hot here.

texasthree
08-03-2006, 06:24 PM
You fellow texans are scaring me! I havent got my bill yet but if its $500 or more I am going to faint. Our electricity just went down from 17.6 cents to 12.6 cents this month. With the decrease in price and increase in hot weather I was expecting about the same. I hope thats the case.

ines248
08-03-2006, 06:28 PM
Is budged billing a bad thing to request to the electric compnay if you don`t have the full 500.00 dollars for this expensive and very hot month?

Does the electric company charges a finance fee or any other fee, for using 12 months budget billing?

Am_I_There_Yet
08-03-2006, 06:31 PM
Is budged billing a bad thing to request to the electric compnay if you don`t have the full 500.00 dollars for this expensive and very hot month?

Does the electric company charges a finance fee or any other fee, for using 12 months budget billing?

I'm on balanced billing and I prefer it. I'd rather be able to budget the amount in year-'round, than pass out when I see the summer bill.

I don't believe our electric company charges a fee for it, and they do re-average it every six months.

makinorlando
08-03-2006, 06:34 PM
I am on a budget (Progress Energy - Florida) and they don't charge anything extra, however, I think they look at it every three months to see if there has been a drastic change. I had to be in the houe for close to one year, so they could see the trends in my usage before they would put me on the budget.

My last three months have been about $250 for a 1 story 2200 sq ft, no basement house, AC is always on about 78, and I run the pool pump approx 6 hrs per day (I have been adjusting the time downward this year and the water quality is still good - I got a new more powerful, energy efficient pump in the spring). Everything in my house is electric.

Wow - $500, $690... YIKES!

ADisneygirl
08-03-2006, 06:39 PM
My electric bill has skyrocketed this summer. It says I am using way more killowatt hours this summer than last, but I am not doing anything different. :confused3 Actually, we keep it WARMER in here because the bills are so high. I used to keep the C/A on 75, but now I keep it 79 or 80. Maybe my unit is getting old and not working as well. I am scared to open the bill I just got today since last months bill was $375. (and I have a small house)

ADisneygirl
08-03-2006, 06:46 PM

I wonder if the electric co. will do this? Start the average billing including that months bill that is so high? I would like this. Does anyone who has budget billing know the answer? Do they start with the next month billed or the month we are in?

pweyl36
08-03-2006, 06:49 PM

same here,we are on a payment plan so our bill ranges about $150-200 a month.

mamalle
08-03-2006, 06:53 PM
FPL here and higher than its ever been with lower watts used go figure...

MaMa3Princess
08-03-2006, 06:57 PM
YES, I called the electric company and ask for the meter to be re-read because our bill went up by 100!! it was 279. when last year at this time it was 140. I am with every one that I feel as if our life is being slowly squeeezeeeddd out by all these increases gas, food, utilities but Atlast no pay raise!!!

gouodux
08-03-2006, 07:04 PM
Wow, we thought our bill was high. Average house, 2800 sq ft, pool, and the Arizona heat put our bill at $453 this past month. That is the highest we've had in our eight years here. $900 is just crazy.

nordkin
08-03-2006, 07:24 PM
YES, I called the electric company and ask for the meter to be re-read because our bill went up by 100!! it was 279. when last year at this time it was 140. I am with every one that I feel as if our life is being slowly squeeezeeeddd out by all these increases gas, food, utilities but Atlast no pay raise!!!

I work for an electric company and supervise the employees who field check the high bill complaints. Every year the number of high bill complaints sky rockets in the summer and 99.999% of the time the meter was read correctly and there is a problem in the house with an appliance, usually heating or cooling, that is causing the high consumption. If you are in doubt about the meter reading, why not read it yourself. It is very easy to do and you willl have your answer about whether it was read incorrectly or not right away. Another thing to remember is most of the electric companies are going to automated meters that are read via a radio signal and a human does not physically walk up to the meter and read it. The readings from these meters are far more accurate than a human reading it.

I guess what I am trying to say is just because your bill went up does not mean the meter was not read correctly. Unless yo have them put the bill in dispute the bill is still due on time and if you don't pay it you will incur late fees. Sometimes it takes several days for them to check your reading and have the paperwork processed so I advise everyone to pay the bill and if it needs to be adjusted because of a bad reading, you will have a credit on your account. Don't risk being turned off for non payment because you are waiting for a check reading to be done.

mattnday
08-03-2006, 07:41 PM
OMG - I was crying over a $300 electric bill. Maybe everything isn't the most expensive in California. We too have a large 2 story home and have been running our air almost nonstop with the 6 week heatwave that just subsided.

lnh'smom
08-03-2006, 08:31 PM
Another thing that really ups the bill is a dehumidifier. I use mine and WOW! you can sure tell on the electric bill!

Not to be stupid or anything, oh wait! Too late! ;) But what does the dehumidifier have to do with having a larger bill? Is it because it is one more thing running? My husband takes care of all that "stuff". I know I should know about everything too, but I don't. :blush:

minnie1928
08-03-2006, 08:59 PM
I haven't gotten my bill yet, but I've been trying to make some changes that will hopefully help. I bumped my A/C up another degree (80 when not at home, 78 when home). Went and invested in flourescent bulbs (I never noticed how much heat comes off a standard bulb before!). Also, I've started turning things off at the power strip, so no residual electricity is powering the tv, pc, etc. when they are "off". We'll see what my bill ends up at...

runwad
08-03-2006, 09:25 PM
I don't run my dehumidifier when my air is on, why do you??? My mom always told me you don't need it cause the air conditioning takes the humidity out of the house and truthfully our basement is fine w/o it with the ac on. Got my bill today and was quite pleased only $93 I can live with that. The city I live in has it's own utility company so we always have cheap electric hope it continues :cool1: Oh and we have a 2400 sq ft house and keep the air at 74 daytime and down to 70 at night to get the upstairs cool.

bettyann29
08-03-2006, 09:45 PM
I truly know how you feel.. The month before last was over $400 and then last months was $476!! Im afraid to see my bill for July as it was so hot and Im here in Texas.. I should get my next bill any day now and Im afraid to see it.. I did watch things this past month.. I turned the air up so its not so cold in the house.. I keep the front door closed (I liked keeping it open because I have a glass door too and I like to see the cars and stuff).. I have a bay window in my living room and I always liked to keep it open to let the daylight in but I have kept it closed for the past month until the sun goes down and then I open it up.. I have been watching the lights too.. so we'll see how my efforts pay off when I get it..

2angelsinheaven
08-04-2006, 03:46 AM
Ours was outrageous as well this month. We live in a condo thats only 729sq. feet and there are only two of us, no washer/dryer, etc. We had been getting bills for 65-70 bucks for the past four months since we moved in which I thought was great. Well then I get one for $400, turns out no one read our meter due to it being locked and the manager was not here. So I ended up having to back pay all those months. Still can't figure how in the world we use 160-170 bucks worth of electric since in our house which was about 1600sq feet with four of us and the washer/dryer going all day was the same about $175 a month. Clueless.

What makes it worse is our electric company charges you a certain amount for each kilowat you use it's .10 for each one under 1,000 a month, .12 for each one if you go over 1,000 a month, well since they lumped all our usage into one month we paid .12 for all of our usage rather than in we had been billed correctly each month it would have been .10, a difference of $60. I talked to several people at the electric company and they'll do nothing about it. UGH!

aubriee
08-04-2006, 04:17 AM

I hear you. One of the drawbacks of living in Texas. I received mine three days ago and was glad I was sitting down when I opened it. I've never had an electric bill this high. I have friends and coworkers who say they are keeping their thermostats up to 78 degrees. Sorry I can't handle that. Mine is sat at 73 degrees and I'll just have to pay it. I do try to keep lights off as much as possible and use the dryer as little as possible. I don't think it's possible for anyone in Texas to have an electric bill less than $300.00 though at this time of year. Most of the people I know are complaining about $400.00-$850.00 electric bills. Due to the heat and no rain our city is only allowing us to water our yards twice a week, so when I get a chance I let my sprinkler system go around at least two cycles. Of course it runs on electricity. I still haven't gotten my water bill yet, but I know it's going to be over $150.00. So, between my water bill and electric bill there's no daylight in sight.

I am considering switching from TXU to Reliance or Streams, but for some reason every one around here uses TXU and I'm a little leary of changing.

Dislifer
08-04-2006, 04:54 AM
Not to be stupid or anything, oh wait! Too late! ;) But what does the dehumidifier have to do with having a larger bill? Is it because it is one more thing running? My husband takes care of all that "stuff". I know I should know about everything too, but I don't. :blush:

My basement is very damp, I end up emptying the dehumidifier twice a day! To answer your question: You're right, it is one more thing running and I really notice this on the electric bill! It must use a lot (???)

nbodyhome
08-04-2006, 05:51 AM
I'd mentioned our power bill last month, when it went up to $225! I am home all day and don't use much air (but we do in the evening/night because my husband really wants it on). It was about the same this month, even though I try closing the blinds to help keep the heat out (it doesn't totally help, I wish we had curtains). We do have huge windows in the living room.

I can't wait until it cools down - back in January we had a $97 power bill, I prefer that. :)

marcyinPA
08-04-2006, 09:31 AM

You aren't kidding! Ours runs constantly in the summer, and our bill is going to be through the roof (I haven't received it yet... :scared1: ) If we don't use it though, everything in the basement gets damp and mildewy....

Add that to the 4 window a.c. units we have, and well, our electric company is loving us right now!

marcyinPA
08-04-2006, 09:35 AM
I don't run my dehumidifier when my air is on, why do you??? My mom always told me you don't need it cause the air conditioning takes the humidity out of the house and truthfully our basement is fine w/o it with the ac on. Got my bill today and was quite pleased only $93 I can live with that. The city I live in has it's own utility company so we always have cheap electric hope it continues :cool1: Oh and we have a 2400 sq ft house and keep the air at 74 daytime and down to 70 at night to get the upstairs cool.

We don't have central air. We only have window units. Our basement is very damp in the summer, but fine in the winter when our furnace is running. We live in a very old home though, built in 1910....Without a dehumidifier, everything in our basement gets mildewy.

Caitsmama
08-04-2006, 10:15 AM
Wow.. After reading about all these super high bills.. It really makes me scared! People should NOT have to choose b/t staying cool/warm, and feeding their family! And let me tell ya, if my bill EVER came in at 300+ a mo. There would be a serious issue in my house! It is really really sad, it just seems everything is getting to be so crazy, It really makes me want to scream. And they wonder why more parents CAN'T afford to stay home with their kids if they choose to! ( I know.. OT.. but yet related.. and feeling the need to vent!!!)
I am just so sick of all this rising price *junk*......................

When when when will it END???

Abbie
08-04-2006, 10:32 AM
Here in Maryland, our local electric company announced a 72% increase in electric bills, starting July 1st. The governor and state assembly have been arguing back and forth on how to make the increase more palatable (phasing it in) but the bottom line is electric bills will almost DOUBLE in the coming months. Ours is already about $300 in the summer so I'm dreading what the next month's bill will bring. And I echo whoever said that you shouldn't have to choose between electricity and food and I'm sure many in our state will have to do just that! What really confuses me though is how come there is such a drastic variance in electric rates around the country? How can some bills be $30 and some $900?? That can't possibly be just due to house size and electric consumption!

dvcgirl
08-04-2006, 10:43 AM
Wow.. After reading about all these super high bills.. It really makes me scared! People should NOT have to choose b/t staying cool/warm, and feeding their family! And let me tell ya, if my bill EVER came in at 300+ a mo. There would be a serious issue in my house! It is really really sad, it just seems everything is getting to be so crazy, It really makes me want to scream. And they wonder why more parents CAN'T afford to stay home with their kids if they choose to! ( I know.. OT.. but yet related.. and feeling the need to vent!!!)
I am just so sick of all this rising price *junk*......................

When when when will it END???

Well, I hate the be the messenger, but I don't think it will end. Florida Power and Light is running radio and TV ads down here in Florida basically explaining to customers that their electric bills are going up because gas prices are up. And since gasoline prices are forecast to *average* $2.60 all the way through 2007 (and I think the average will be higher), don't expect utility bills to come down. In fact, I'd expect the exact opposite....they'll go up....not in a straight line, they'll be dips and rises, just like a stock market chart.

If you do any reading about global oil markets you'll find that we're entering new territory in our big ole' world. We are as close as we've ever been to actually needing more oil than the world oil producers can come up with. And so what happens in that instance? Prices go up. At some point, the price will reach a certain level that folks will pull back on their use of gas, and then prices may come down....for awhile, before heading back up again.

Kay1
08-04-2006, 11:25 AM
Will it though? Will people cutting back on gas cause a drop in price? I'm not sure, because unless I'm wrong (whcih happens), oil is fungible, and consumers in Chindia will continue to buy. Who knows? We'll just have to see.

Speaking of FPL, I recently bought some of their stock and it's the best stock I have. A lot of people don't realize it but they're actually two different companies. One, the utility we're used to, and the other which is focused on alternitive energy. I think they're waiting for investment-friendly legislation to expand.

We use Progress Energy and our bill for a one-story a little less than 2,000 square feet, was almost $300 this month, but we were out of town five of those days.

dvcgirl
08-04-2006, 11:47 AM
Will it though? Will people cutting back on gas cause a drop in price? I'm not sure, because unless I'm wrong (whcih happens), oil is fungible, and consumers in Chindia will continue to buy. Who knows? We'll just have to see.

Speaking of FPL, I recently bought some of their stock and it's the best stock I have. A lot of people don't realize it but they're actually two different companies. One, the utility we're used to, and the other which is focused on alternitive energy. I think they're waiting for investment-friendly legislation to expand.

We use Progress Energy and our bill for a one-story a little less than 2,000 square feet, was almost $300 this month, but we were out of town five of those days.

Well, demand would have to drop significantly. Prices in the $100 per barrel range may do that, for awhile anyway. Growth in China and India may offset that though....if it continues at its current pace....which is incredible. Ultimately, we all need to ask ourselves....are we willing to drive a whole lot less than we do now? Give up a car? Carpool? Take mass transit? This is where we're heading.....

There are so many factors at play in the oil market, which is why it's so interesing to follow. The Saudis have actually dropped production by a couple of hundred thousand barrels a day. This is always a big deal. Since they are so secretive, they leave it to outside experts to try and figure out what's up.

A number of factors could be at play. They could be slowing production ever so slightly to keep prices high, and develop $70 oil as a new bottom. They could be experiencing the beginning of decline (the absolute worst case scenario), or they're beginning to see that they're hauling up more and more darker crude....not the optimal sweet stuff. Dark crude isn't as easy to unload because it requires much more processing at refineries making it less than ideal. Again, that wouldn't be good news either. This may be what is happening though as they are putting billions into refineries in SA. .And yet the Saudis say that demand is down slightly, which is why they've pulled back.

All that I know, is that all of this points to higher prices. Not a good thing.

ines248
08-04-2006, 12:33 PM
Thanks to all of u who replied to my question!
I think that budged billing is a good thing to have, but in the future just in case they start to make new or hidden fees for using budged billing please let me know!

I have a 1850 SQ house, pool,etc, and I will prefer to have budged billing as long as they (electric company) don`t add fees to it than to have an expensive and not heartlhy heart attack after I see my July or August electric bills.Also, not to worry about paying the full amount for it, if I have or I don`t have the $$$ is great!!
Peace of mind STILL is the best thing 4 me!

I am going to tell my 19 year old DD who just signed her 2nd year lease, to go for 12 months budged billing, too because there are no fees!

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge!

DVC Sadie
08-04-2006, 12:53 PM
Well, demand would have to drop significantly. Prices in the $100 per barrel range may do that, for awhile anyway. Growth in China and India may offset that though....if it continues at its current pace....which is incredible. Ultimately, we all need to ask ourselves....are we willing to drive a whole lot less than we do now? Give up a car? Carpool? Take mass transit? This is where we're heading.....

There are so many factors at play in the oil market, which is why it's so interesing to follow. The Saudis have actually dropped production by a couple of hundred thousand barrels a day. This is always a big deal. Since they are so secretive, they leave it to outside experts to try and figure out what's up.

A number of factors could be at play. They could be slowing production ever so slightly to keep prices high, and develop $70 oil as a new bottom. They could be experiencing the beginning of decline (the absolute worst case scenario), or they're beginning to see that they're hauling up more and more darker crude....not the optimal sweet stuff. Dark crude isn't as easy to unload because it requires much more processing at refineries making it less than ideal. Again, that wouldn't be good news either. This may be what is happening though as they are putting billions into refineries in SA. .And yet the Saudis say that demand is down slightly, which is why they've pulled back.

All that I know, is that all of this points to higher prices. Not a good thing.

I think you hit the nail on the head with your post. Unless we as a country deceide to cut out our fuel consumption, which we haven't been able to do as of yet, the increases are going to continue or skyrocket in some areas of the country.

Even with the higher prices of both gas and oil/propane we consumed more energy this year then last year.

Unless we are willing to cut our consumption by a significant amount by using mass transit or car pooling etc., we will still be feeling the pain next year and there after.

I wish someone knew the answers on how we can cut our bills! Between the increases of energy costs for our homes, cars and everything else something is gonna have to give. I don't see how a lot of people are going to be able to choose between food, medicine, medical insurance or heating/cooling their home.

Caitsmama
08-04-2006, 12:54 PM
Well, on the gas idea, (OT for a moment) we did give up one car, We now share a car.. And my dh takes the bus from our lil' town to the city to work and back. And on "ozone alert" days, (above 90 or so) the bus is free. Also, We have significantly cut down our "leisure" driving, I am starting to do more online shopping, because if you can get a free shipping sale, it beats the heck out of spending gas to get to the mall or whatever! Right?

I really think sometimes that we were stupid for ever buying a home, and should have stayed in the apartment with the utilities included!!

Belle5
08-04-2006, 02:45 PM
What really confuses me though is how come there is such a drastic variance in electric rates around the country? How can some bills be $30 and some $900?? That can't possibly be just due to house size and electric consumption!

I would like to know the answer to that myself! Why is it that everyone from Texas has $400 plus bills when others with hot climates (Florida, Arizona, etc) have bills that are significantly smaller. We keep our house on 77-78 degrees in case anyone is interested and we had the $650 bill mentioned earlier in this thread.

Carrie Ellis
08-04-2006, 03:36 PM
Well I am from TX but we live in GA. The last 2 months my bill has been around $400. We have about a 2900 sq ft house, a pool w/ a pump and a pond that has a pump. We do have 4 kids so alot of washing! Before the summer increase my electicity bill was running $175. So, this has been a shocker.

My parents in TX (just the 2 of them) have been having $300-$400 bills.

ckmommy
08-04-2006, 03:58 PM
I would like to know the answer to that myself! Why is it that everyone from Texas has $400 plus bills when others with hot climates (Florida, Arizona, etc) have bills that are significantly smaller. We keep our house on 77-78 degrees in case anyone is interested and we had the $650 bill mentioned earlier in this thread.

Good question Belle5!! We have a 2800 sf house and a pool. Our bill was $456. We decided to raise the temp in the house from 78 to 79 and cut the pool circulation time. Maybe that will help.

mjbaby
08-04-2006, 04:00 PM
... consumers in Chindia will continue to buy.

Is this a contraction of China and India?

My, how totally offensive and racist. Yikes.

Kay1
08-04-2006, 04:35 PM
Oh, my goodness. I'm sorry I offended you, mjbaby. I think it's a commonly used expression and I don't believe it's meant to be racist. I certainly did not mean it in a racist way and never thought of it as racist. Actually, I just looked it up on wikipedia and it's there. :confused3

bettyann29
08-04-2006, 04:36 PM
:sad2: I just got my new electric bill today.. $529!!! ugh..

dvcgirl
08-04-2006, 04:44 PM
Is this a contraction of China and India?

My, how totally offensive and racist. Yikes.

I'm sure that Kay1 didn't mean it that way......Chindia is a commonly used term used in economic circles when referring to the economic boom occuring in those two countries. I've seen it in many, many article and books.....

mom2my3kids
08-04-2006, 04:52 PM
Mine was 105.00 last month.

bettyann29
08-04-2006, 04:56 PM
Mine was 105.00 last month.

:worship:

mjbaby
08-04-2006, 04:57 PM
Oh, my goodness. I'm sorry I offended you, mjbaby. I think it's a commonly used expression and I don't believe it's meant to be racist. I certainly did not mean it in a racist way and never thought of it as racist. Actually, I just looked it up on wikipedia and it's there. :confused3

Oh, I didn't think you were using the term in an attempt to be racist or offensive and I understand why it could be thought of as fairly benign.

You're right that the term is, in fact, listed in Wikipedia. And Wikipedia also explains at length why there is opposition to the word and the ways in which it is innapropriate even in its intended meaning.

ETA: So, no worries, Kay1. The expression seems to have slipped into common usage without an accompanying understanding of why it could be offensive to Indian or Chinese persons. These things happen linguistically all the time, unfortunately.

Kay1
08-04-2006, 05:00 PM
Thank you, DVCGirl and mjbaby, for assuring me that I don't come off as a racist. I assure you, I am not.

:wave2:

disneysteve
08-04-2006, 05:12 PM
Even with the higher prices of both gas and oil/propane we consumed more energy this year then last year.
I was talking about this the other day, during our stretch of 9 days over 90 and several over 95. A few of the local utilities set all-time usage records. Why more this year than previous years. One could say that logically, as more and more old inefficient AC units get replaced with new high efficiency units, usage would go down. I often read of new stores and buildings incorporating all types of energy saving aspects so they are more efficient than older buildings. Stuff like that. It would seem that with each passing year, we should be more efficient. But that doesn't seem to translate to less power usage overall. The usage continues to climb.

disneysteve
08-04-2006, 05:12 PM
duplicate post

dvcgirl
08-04-2006, 05:22 PM
I was talking about this the other day, during our stretch of 9 days over 90 and several over 95. A few of the local utilities set all-time usage records. Why more this year than previous years. One could say that logically, as more and more old inefficient AC units get replaced with new high efficiency units, usage would go down. I often read of new stores and buildings incorporating all types of energy saving aspects so they are more efficient than older buildings. Stuff like that. It would seem that with each passing year, we should be more efficient. But that doesn't seem to translate to less power usage overall. The usage continues to climb.

Well, for one I think that more and more people today have AC. We didn't have it when I was a kid growing up, but my parents added it to their home later. Also, our population continues to climb....so that will have an effect.

DVC Sadie
08-04-2006, 07:30 PM
Well, for one I think that more and more people today have AC. We didn't have it when I was a kid growing up, but my parents added it to their home later. Also, our population continues to climb....so that will have an effect.

I know in our area the prices are increasing because the power company lost a lot of their buildings and we were notified that our rates would be going up over 70% to help defray their costs of rebuilding.

I am not usually considered dense but I just can't figure out how we are using more energy this year then last year, especially in this area where more than half of the homes were demolished from last years hurricane. :confused3

ETA: Sorry I thought I was quoting disneysteve. I should not post while taking pain killers. Apology to all. :blush:

DVCisME
08-04-2006, 07:32 PM
My bill more than doubled! We did nothing different, between that and gas when do we get a break!

DaisyD
08-04-2006, 08:58 PM
Our is usually around $350. It was $700 this month. Can't wait to see what it is after the heat wave! LOL!

disneysteve
08-04-2006, 09:08 PM
I just got off the phone with my next door neighbor. He called to ask me about when we replaced our heater and air conditioner a few years ago. His are on their last legs and he's ready to bite the bullet and replace them. I mentioned that we saw big drops in our utility bills, on the order of 40-50%. I told him that our July electric bill was $135 and we keep our AC on 74. He said the best his could do the past week, no matter what he set it on, was to get the house temp down to 81. His bill last month was more than double ours, and our house is bigger. He said I had talked him into it and now he was sure he had to replace his units.

This is a perfect example of what I questioned above. If new homes have high efficiency AC and older homes are gradually replacing their inefficient units with high efficiency units, why is energy usage climbing. Shouldn't it be leveling off or maybe even dropping? I know the growing population is a factor and their are just more houses and more buildings, so I guess that's the problem. Even though they may be more efficient, there are just more of them.

DaisyD
08-04-2006, 09:33 PM
We replaced our heat pump and furnace last year with a high efficiency system. All new energy efficient windows went on two years ago. Our bill dropped by about $200 a month. Instead of $550 we were paying $350. Now with this lovely increase we are paying $700. We do not and never will skimp onm A/C. We keep it around 68 in the summer and 70-72 in the winter.

TDC Nala
08-04-2006, 11:55 PM
How can some bills be $30 and some $900?? That can't possibly be just due to house size and electric consumption!

Possibly mine is around 30 because I am one person in a small condo who is rarely home and I don't run the AC when I am, or the heater, unless the temperatures become extreme.

I don't have any idea what it costs to heat, cool or power a household.

faindrops27
08-05-2006, 01:36 AM
I assume my electric bill with the recent heatwave, and constant ac usage. Being around 450 for this month. Oh, how. I would love to move, somewhere, anywhere. To be able to have an 100 or 200 dollar electric bill. :lmao: :goodvibes

Goobergal99
08-05-2006, 02:41 AM
oh my god I just checked ours was $167 for a two bedroom apt!! :crazy2:

minnie1928
08-05-2006, 06:39 AM
I'm wondering how much kwh rates differ from area to area. I live in S. Central PA and my bill rate worked out to be .0904/kwh. My bill actually wasn't bad, and it ran 6/29 to 7/28. My bill went from 112.35 to 163.77.

DVC Sadie
08-05-2006, 07:47 AM
I just got off the phone with my next door neighbor. He called to ask me about when we replaced our heater and air conditioner a few years ago. His are on their last legs and he's ready to bite the bullet and replace them. I mentioned that we saw big drops in our utility bills, on the order of 40-50%. I told him that our July electric bill was $135 and we keep our AC on 74. He said the best his could do the past week, no matter what he set it on, was to get the house temp down to 81. His bill last month was more than double ours, and our house is bigger. He said I had talked him into it and now he was sure he had to replace his units.

This is a perfect example of what I questioned above. If new homes have high efficiency AC and older homes are gradually replacing their inefficient units with high efficiency units, why is energy usage climbing. Shouldn't it be leveling off or maybe even dropping? I know the growing population is a factor and their are just more houses and more buildings, so I guess that's the problem. Even though they may be more efficient, there are just more of them.

I, too, question why the energy use is climbing. Some of all this doesn/t make sense. In this area there are less people, buildings, and homes. The new pricing has not gone into effect as of yet.

dvcgirl
08-05-2006, 08:40 AM
I, too, question why the energy use is climbing. Some of all this doesn/t make sense. In this area there are less people, buildings, and homes. The new pricing has not gone into effect as of yet.

Well, all this talk of electricity inspired me to pull a bill out from last July to compare. We have OUC (Orlando Utility Commission) and the charge per kilowatt hour of useage went up by 21.9% in one year. Quite a jump.

dvcgirl
08-05-2006, 08:43 AM
I'm wondering how much kwh rates differ from area to area. I live in S. Central PA and my bill rate worked out to be .0904/kwh. My bill actually wasn't bad, and it ran 6/29 to 7/28. My bill went from 112.35 to 163.77.

We have two rates.... .09295 for the first 1000 KWH used.

And then 0.11295 for anything above that.

We have a hair under 3,000 sq ft and our usage is almost right at 3,000 kwh for this July and last July.

minnie1928
08-05-2006, 08:52 AM
We have two rates.... .09295 for the first 1000 KWH used.

And then 0.11295 for anything above that.

We have a hair under 3,000 sq ft and our usage is almost right at 3,000 kwh for this July and last July.

Wow! We have 4000 sq ft and our usage was 1811 this month. What a difference! Of course I'm not in FL, but we still run in the 90's during the day. Except during the last week when it was 100+ :rolleyes1

DVC Sadie
08-05-2006, 09:13 AM
Well, all this talk of electricity inspired me to pull a bill out from last July to compare. We have OUC (Orlando Utility Commission) and the charge per kilowatt hour of useage went up by 21.9% in one year. Quite a jump.

Thanks for pulling that up dvcgirl. We don't have our last years bills :rotfl2: so I had nothing to compare except just knowing it had increased. Ours have probably have gone up around the same as yours and soon ours will rise another 70%.

Who knows, with all the increases, and not just electric, we may just up and sell everything and move in a couple of years.

dvcgirl
08-05-2006, 09:34 AM
Wow! We have 4000 sq ft and our usage was 1811 this month. What a difference! Of course I'm not in FL, but we still run in the 90's during the day. Except during the last week when it was 100+ :rolleyes1

Yeah, well....we have an older home....about 16 years old and it's definitely not the most energy efficient. We have single pane windows for one. We thought about replacing them, but we're not sure how long we'll be here and so we don't want to make that investment. We have vaulted ceilings everywhere. I'm sure insulation isn't great. We also have a pool and so the pump is running at least 6 hours a day. However, we keep the AC at 78 during the day and 73 at night...not too crazy. We also use ceiling fans to keep us cool.

neatokimmo
08-05-2006, 09:46 AM
I noticed a big drop in my power bill when I bought new windows and they weren't even expensive windows, generic white ones from THD.

When I lived in FL, our bills were insane and the house was hot. It was because at one point the previous owners had let the filter get too dirty and let dust get into the guts of the cooling system. I paid $100 to someone to tune it up and my power bill dropped $75 a month. All because of dust!

I am on the budget plan and its just $62 a month in East TN. It would be much lower but I work from home a lot and like it cool in the summer. I think I would pass out if I got a bill even for $200 here....$900 is mind blowing!

Kim

mjbaby
08-05-2006, 07:43 PM
I just dug my bill out that covers the period up to June 21 (so, this latest heatwave isn't on it, nor will it likely be on my next bill). The total: $69.71.

Don't hate me! (Just to make you feel better, we use oil heat, which is going to be icky this year - and we live in a old, leaky house. BUT, we're going to biodiesel so hopefully we won't have to, you know, sell a kid on ebay or something.) We don't have central air, so that's a big part of it. And a chunk of that bill is off-peak usage. This last heatwave we did run our two (new) window ACs during the afternoon and at bedtime so I wonder what that'll do. Other than that, the only electric we use is for lights, laundry, cooking, the fridge and water heater. I've been experimenting with a solar cooker - which is cool! - and now that the humidity's broken a bit have hung some laundry.

Brer Rabbit
08-07-2006, 06:46 AM
dreadful heat wave here the last 2 months, just got our bill, it was 300.00 :( 2400 sq ft along with lights in 2 other buildings where DW raises exotic birds

Harvest02
08-11-2006, 07:42 AM
We have not received our electric bill yet for July, but just went on Duke Energy's website to check. After reading all the posts on how high electric bills are, I was really scared to know what ours was going to be! Even with having our air on since it has been so hot, it was only $20 more than this time last year(about $146.00 for the bill). We have a 3 year old home with about 1800 square feet total plus another 650 in the basement. I didn't think that was too bad considering what everyone else was paying! We do have a programmable thermostat, so I think that has helped out a lot! Guess we got lucky!!! :sunny:

Disneefun
08-11-2006, 08:24 AM
We just got ours for July and it was $132. Looked back at Quicken and it was about $20 more than last year at the same time, but the kicker is that, according to last year's bill, we used less electricity this month than this time last year. (I expected that b/c we have been much more conscientious about usage and made some energy efficient changes.)

So, we used less but paid more. Thank you for the price increases. :rolleyes:

holbear
08-11-2006, 10:50 AM
Here in Maryland, our local electric company announced a 72% increase in electric bills, starting July 1st. The governor and state assembly have been arguing back and forth on how to make the increase more palatable (phasing it in) but the bottom line is electric bills will almost DOUBLE in the coming months. Ours is already about $300 in the summer so I'm dreading what the next month's bill will bring. And I echo whoever said that you shouldn't have to choose between electricity and food and I'm sure many in our state will have to do just that! What really confuses me though is how come there is such a drastic variance in electric rates around the country? How can some bills be $30 and some $900?? That can't possibly be just due to house size and electric consumption!

Another Marylander here.. YES! The price hike is absolutely horrible!! Our bill last month was $450. And it will probably be around that for the rest of the summer as well.

pjlla
08-11-2006, 05:11 PM
Just chiming in.... I know that NH is known for high electric rates, but NOTHING compared to you folks in TX.... YIKES! My most recent electric bill was $193. Up from $165 the previous month. We run the pool pump about 12/hrs day, the hot tub is on continuously unless we are away (which we were the beginning of July), I hang all of my laundry this time of year. Our hot water is oil. We don't have central air, but we have three window units in the bedrooms. They are ONLY run at night, usually for about 12 hours (8p to 8a), and then only when necessary (usually every night in July and several in August). I use flourescent bulbs in many of my fixtures. I rarely use the oven in the summer. I only run the dehumidifier about 1-2 days/week (although it would be helpful to run it more). Aside from shutting down the hot tub, reducing the pool pump time (which I will do in cooler weather), and sleeping without the A/C (not a great option) I don't know what else I can do!! I have even been known to empty my extra fridge in the freezer for a few months in the summer and unplug it, to save on the electric bill. If I am home alone I will usually turn off EVERYTHING! When we go away for even a full day, I unplug all of the automatic nightlights and shut down the computer.

When it is hot during the summer we close the windows and draw the blinds to keep the house cooler, but it has been known to top out at 90+ in the kitchen! But I refuse to pay for more air conditioning! I would LOVE to consider going to some sort of solar electricity, but the start-up costs are prohibitive. And don't even get me started on our oil bill this winter!!.......................P

Belle5
08-11-2006, 10:40 PM
And don't even get me started on our oil bill this winter!!.......................P

Just curious...what do all you folks in the northeast pay for gas bills or oil bills in the winter? Ours may be $650 in the summer-- but our bills do go down in the winter. As long as we don't run our gas logs too much our gas bill isn't all that bad. I think we pay $350-$400 for gas and electric combined in the winter. The problem with Texas is our "summer" is wayyyy too long and our "winter" too short!

texasthree
08-11-2006, 10:51 PM
Well I got my bill today and it was $499. I had to lay on the couch for a few minutes after opening it! :crazy:

Now my husband and I just cant figure it out though since its hundreds more than last month. Well, we went out tonight and read the meter. It reads 18308 kwh yet our bill says (10 days ago) it read 18654. I think we have a problem??
I called cpl and they are going to charge us $17 to reread our meter. WTH? I guess I can pay the $500 and next month our bill should be hardly anything since they totally screwed up this reading. In texas we have a choice in electric companies so as soon as this is cleared up I am switching to a cheaper company. 2 cents is a lot when your talking about 1000's of KWH.

POOHDRMR
08-11-2006, 11:08 PM
I'm in Long Island NY and last year my oil bills were 200 for the first fill up at end of Sept and then they came 3 times from Nov -Feb for over 450 each time.I only have oil heat and I use electric hot water. I am budgeted for electric for 260 a month and always being adjusted up.We are thinking about relocating to NC if a job opp comes up and I have wondered what our savings would be.

Belle5
08-16-2006, 03:51 PM
Well, it gets worse. After having a $650 bill last month we did a bunch of things to our house to make it more energy efficient. (Installed attic fan, turned up the temp, etc...) The new bill came today: $717 !!!! How is that for awful? We were really hopeful that after all the effort we made we might see a bill back down around $450.

MommyMouse
08-16-2006, 08:46 PM
My bill was 34% higher than the average that I budget for, and just under 20% higher than last month. Of course, this is Florida and it's been hot and humid...

One advantage of hurricanes that people don't talk about much: When a hurricane knocks out electricity for a week, your electric bill goes down the next month! :lmao: :rotfl2:

Amen to that! Our bill keeps climbing. We are approaching the $600 mark :scared1: We have 2 a/c units which doesn't help and the pool pump runs longer in the summer, but it really is hard to justify. Maybe turning the A/C down lower in the night to help ward off the hot flashes is the culprit :rolleyes1

2Poodles
08-16-2006, 10:23 PM
I just received my electric bill yesterday which included the last heat wave. The bill was $135 higher than the month before. I'm on a budget plan all year with the electric company. We put in new Anderson windows, brand new high efficiency heat pump and high efficiency furnace and still the bill was extremely high. I guess my budget amount will be going up and up.

mickeyfan2
08-17-2006, 06:44 AM
We cool to 70 and survived a heat wave and our bill was only $157. That was about $10 more than the month before. I can live with that.

deltachi8
08-17-2006, 09:10 AM
Mine is usually about $30. a month. Of course I have a msall apartment and dont use air conditioning.

punkin
08-17-2006, 09:24 AM
Mine is usually about $30. a month. Of course I have a msall apartment and dont use air conditioning.

If I lived in Tonawanda, I wouldn't use air conditioning either. When I lived in Long Island (in a beach town), the cool breezes made air conditioning unneeded for 95% of the summer. In Maryland (at least where I am in the former swamps) the heat and humidity are oppressive, and even I (who hate air conditioning) have capitulated.