View Full Version : Hurricane Policy - WDW Travel Company

08-03-2006, 02:05 PM
I was surfing the DW website and found this . . .

Hurricane Policy FAQ
From June 1 to November 30, 2006, in the event a hurricane warning is issued by the National Hurricane Center for the Orlando area or for the guest's place of residence within 7 days before the scheduled arrival date, the guest may call in advance to reschedule or cancel their Walt Disney Travel Co. Magic Your Way vacation package without any cancellation or change fees imposed by Disney. This temporary policy also applies to most Walt Disney World Resort room-only reservations booked directly with Disney, as well as reservations at Disney's Vero Beach Resort or Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort in the event a hurricane warning is issued for those destinations.

Is this new? I had not heard of any policy before. Of course, there are lots of restrictions that apply. But, it is good to know something exists.

08-03-2006, 03:22 PM
I'm guessing that is new. They do say it is a temporary policy, so they've probably just put it in place to help prevent guests from being afraid to book.

08-03-2006, 03:26 PM
Hey Tigger...

where did you find this...

08-03-2006, 03:28 PM
Here is the link . . .


I saw it on their home page. :)

08-03-2006, 03:54 PM
Well that's nice to know you can at least get your money back for the room/package. Now as for getting $ back from the airlines if you opted out of travel insurance is another thing. :stir:

08-03-2006, 04:20 PM
For what it's worth, last year I had a trip scheduled for 2 weeks after Hurricane Katrina. I live in New Orleans. Needless to say, I was homeless at that time and both Disney and my airline gave me a full credit without any problem. Maybe it was a special circumstance thing, but in situations like that I think both Disney and airlines will work with you.

08-03-2006, 05:34 PM
Last September I was supposed to join my husband for a long weekend at the Yacht Club after he concluded a conference in Orlando. I was supposed to fly in on a Thursday, but by Tuesday it looked like Hurricane Rita was headed right for Houston. When I called Disney Reservations and told them I had to cancel the package because we didn't want to leave our kids when Rita struck, the reservationist put me on hold, and then told me she had spoken with her manager who gave her permission to refund the entire amount. I had not even mentioned my deposit and they were more than happy to give me the entire amount back. The reservationist said, "Please be safe and I hope we can book a trip for you in the near future." I remember thinking, that is Disney at it's best.

08-03-2006, 06:00 PM
That's good news 'cause we're going in September.