PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about the Swan

kaylajr
08-03-2006, 01:12 PM
What you like
what you don't

We thought we were staying at the Dolphin but had to change our dates so we will be at the Swan in Feb

tell me all you can

thanks

Tikiman
08-03-2006, 02:23 PM
I would like to get some opinions also. We are staying there in December. We tried the Dolphin and did not like it much at all but that is a whole other long story.

Leota
08-03-2006, 04:16 PM
The Swan & Dolphin are our favorite resorts at WDW. We have tried all different Disney resorts & these are it for us. We will probably only stay there and Animal Kingdom Lodge on future visits.

What I love about the Swan -
Location - Best location in all of Disney for us. Walking distance to our favorites Park (Epcot) wonderful dining at the resorts & surrounding area. Views of Epcot & MGM from our rooms/balconies
Service - The best service we've had at Disney in years. Every request is promptly addresses & followed up.
Amenities - From the Heavenly Beds to the Grotto, everything is Top Notch. As well as the unbeatable comfort of the Heavenly Beds, the standard toiletries are wonderful, much better than the Mickey Wrapped Ivory soad. Plus, your TV has a channel with the local weather as well as pay per view movies & games.
Size - As much as we love the convienence of the Dolphin, the intimate size of the Swan is very appealing. We also love the atmosphere of the Swan & Dolphin. I like the Clean, bright rooms & modern whimsy. I've sort of outgrown the 100 ft tall Dalmation stage of my life at this point tho - your mileage may vary.

All you can do is give it a try & see if you like it. We've tried other resorts that other people love & found them not to our taste. Evene so, I never regretted trying them for myself.

Mephistoles
08-03-2006, 04:23 PM
We are going to be leaving soon (in about 2 weeks) for our WDW trip and will be staying at the Swan. I am soooooo looking forward to it :)

ILVPOOH
08-03-2006, 04:24 PM
I also love the Swan.

The location is great and the transportation is wonderful. I went in March and there was never anyone on the buses. There were always empty seats. Taking the boat to MGM and Epcot was nice too. The bus does go to the Swan first and then the Dolphin.

I also like the beach and the Grotto pool.

I like that the Swan is smaller than the Dolphin. It just seemed quieter.

Oh and the Heavenly Beds. I can't say enough about them. It was the most comfortable bed I ever slept in. My kids even commented on how nice the beds were. I asked them what the liked about the vacation and they mentioned the beds.

DisneyFans4
08-03-2006, 05:58 PM
Hi Steve---As you know I absolutely love the Swan and will be back in 3 days!!!! The views are awesome at the Epcot resorts. I never had better views of Disney until I stayed at the Swan. The Swan is smaller than the Dolphin and alot more quiet and intimate. A place I think you and Tara would enjoy. At night you can just hop over to the Boardwalk and enjoy all the nightly activities there. I love the fact that if I miss the boat or don't want to wait that I can walk to Epcot or MGM.

kaylajr
08-04-2006, 06:38 AM
Which hotel has the Queen beds the Dolphin or the Swan??

Leota
08-04-2006, 06:53 AM
Which hotel has the Queen beds the Dolphin or the Swan??

The Swan.
But the Dolphin Doubles seem bigger than the standard doubles to me for some reason..... :confused3

kaylajr
08-04-2006, 07:14 AM
The Swan.
But the Dolphin Doubles seem bigger than the standard doubles to me for some reason..... :confused3
Oh that is Good since it is the Swan we will be at in Feb

DisneyFans4
08-04-2006, 08:43 AM
And they have the heavenly beds which are absolutely wonderful! The only beds I have ever had a good night's sleep while in Disney.

Tikiman
08-04-2006, 10:20 AM
Well I think I like the fact that the Swan sounds like it wonít be the mad house that the Dolphin was. I am not very excited about talking that boat again. I liked being at the Yacht Club and having half the walk to Epcot. Tell me that the Swan rooms are not smaller than the Dolphin!!! We would never get a crib in the Dolphin room it was so small. I hope a get a better view than we had at the Dolphin. Sounds like it might have more rooms with better views. We just got back from Maui and being vacation owners of Starwood properties we stay in Heavenly beds all the time. In fact we stayed in two different Westin Resorts and a Sheraton in Maui and the beds are great but I still think the new Polynesian bed is more comfortable but I would take either. Everyone who was on the trip wants to buy the heavenly shower head!!!

Thanks for the info.

Aloha

Steve

DisneyFans4
08-04-2006, 10:50 AM
Hi Steve-I've never stayed at the Dolphin so I don't know whether the rooms are of the same size. We're usually in a suite at the Swan so it's very spacious. My boys are now teenagers so they need their own room and bathroom, makes things alot easier. Maybe a junior suite for you, Tara and the baby would be a good choice.

The walk to Epcot from the Swan is really not that bad and we've done it alot if we missed the boat or didn't want to wait for it. Believe it or not, by the time the boat does come and makes all it's stops before getting to Epcot you can get there faster on foot.

2 more days to go!!!!!

Tikiman
08-04-2006, 10:57 AM
Hi Steve-I've never stayed at the Dolphin so I don't know whether the rooms are of the same size. We're usually in a suite at the Swan so it's very spacious. My boys are now teenagers so they need their own room and bathroom, makes things alot easier. Maybe a junior suite for you, Tara and the baby would be a good choice.

The walk to Epcot from the Swan is really not that bad and we've done it alot if we missed the boat or didn't want to wait for it. Believe it or not, by the time the boat does come and makes all it's stops before getting to Epcot you can get there faster on foot.

2 more days to go!!!!!

We are using Starwood points to book so I donít think they will give us a suite. Sounds great though.

I know many donít mind the walk from the Swan/ Dolphin area but it is twice what we walked from the Yacht Club and when we were at the Dolphin you had to walk around those ponds they had around the building instead of a straight shot (that sounds whiny, doesnít it). I guess I was just not use to that much of a walk from the parks to the resort especially staying at the Polynesian we get to Epcot fast with little walk. It rained on us also and that makes the walk seem unbearable since there is no cover and it is hard to enjoy the surroundings when you just want to get to your room. We did walk most of the time though since waiting for the boat took a long time and once you were on it they made stops at the YC than the Boardwalk than the International Gateway and it was faster to walk than to take the boat so I agree 100% with you on that.

Thanks for the suite info. Do you have any photos?

jwfla422
08-04-2006, 11:47 AM
We are using Starwood points to book so I donít think they will give us a suite. Sounds great though.

I know many donít mind the walk from the Swan/ Dolphin area but it is twice what we walked from the Yacht Club and when we were at the Dolphin you had to walk around those ponds they had around the building instead of a straight shot (that sounds whiny, doesnít it). I guess I was just not use to that much of a walk from the parks to the resort especially staying at the Polynesian we get to Epcot fast with little walk. It rained on us also and that makes the walk seem unbearable since there is no cover and it is hard to enjoy the surroundings when you just want to get to your room. We did walk most of the time though since waiting for the boat took a long time and once you were on it they made stops at the YC than the Boardwalk than the International Gateway and it was faster to walk than to take the boat so I agree 100% with you on that.

Thanks for the suite info. Do you have any photos?

It's not whiny at all, we've stayed at both the S/D many times (the Swan more), and honestly it seems like a longer walk to/from your room at the Dolphin if you walk to/from Epcot because you have to go around the lakes and once in the resort the walk can be really long depending on where your room is located.

The Swan is actually easier to navigate once in there, the rooms are pretty convenient and mostly closer to the exits (even if you're at the end of a hallway). Once out you just walk over the bridge and you're almost to the YC.

Although we like both resorts we do prefer the Swan because it is smaller, easier to navigate and it has more of an "intimate" feel to it. Some people prefer the liveliness of the Dolphin over that (but we like the "laid back" feeling of the Swan) especially after coming back from the parks in the afternoon. It's a nice escape! We have also gotten to know some of the CM's a the Swan so it's nice to go back to a place where people know you, kinda has that "fuzzy" feeling. :goodvibes

If you want to see photos of a King Executive Suite at the Swan you can click on my link below. We did enjoy the roominess but it was actually big for us! I kept losing things, LOL!! Our favorite rooms at the Swan are definitely the studio rooms, they're perfect for us and they have the best views in WDW!! :thumbsup2

Tikiman
08-04-2006, 12:22 PM
Yeah our room at the Dolphin was down 4 different hallways so it was hard to remember which one to turn down each time.

I like the sound of the Swan already. The Studio looks like a good size. The Dolphin room was small and would be too small with a crib. They also tried to put too much furniture in the room. You could hardly get to the sliding glass door past the furniture. Add in a crib and you would not be able to walk. I guess we are spoiled by the Polynesian room size. We got the suite at the AKL and it was perfect because the standard rooms there are a little to small also. Sometimes we get upgraded because of our Starwood status but we donít count on it and we were not at the Dolphin. Any one have photos of the standard rooms at the Swan?

DisneyFans4
08-04-2006, 02:00 PM
There is a different route to Epcot from the Swan, or at least it's the one I take. We go over the bridge onto the Boardwalk and go through that and then onto International Gateway. Don't know if it's the same distance or if one is longer or shorter.

I prefer the Swan because it is more quieter. The only thing I wish is that the Swan would get their own laundry room because I have to go to the Dolphin to do that and it can be a pain. I use my son's rolling duffel bag as my laundry bag so that makes things easier.

Blondie
08-04-2006, 02:11 PM
That's the route we take when walking, whether we're staying at the Swan or Dolphin.

When it's just my hubby and me, I prefer the Swan. When our teen boys come along with us, the Dolphin.

DisneyFans4
08-04-2006, 02:39 PM
Blondie-So is Tikiman taking the longer route along the lakes to get to Epcot or is our way shorter or equal in distance. It never seems like a long walk to me but maybe that's just me.

Leota
08-05-2006, 06:59 AM
My 17 yo swears the Boardwalk route is shorter too. I'll have to time it next trip. Neither way seems long to me at all.

Blondie
08-05-2006, 10:15 AM
It seems like the Boarwalk route is shorter. :confused3

FeeFeeWhite
08-27-2006, 03:31 PM
JWFLA422 how did you have a "heavenly bed" in the parlor area. I thought they only had pull-outs?

Does anyone know?

DisneyFans4
08-27-2006, 03:41 PM
I just returned from the Swan and we were given the grand suite which was wonderful!! We didn't use it but our parlor area had a queen heavenly bed in it. I actually used it as a sitting area because it was right next to a balcony and I would open up the blinds and the sliding glass door and just lay there and look at my beautiful Epcot view and listening to the people going by and the Friendship boats going back and forth, absolutely beautiful!!!! This suite is on the east wing and has the most beautiful views!!!

Magic2000
08-27-2006, 06:53 PM
We stayed at the Swan a few years ago, and really enjoyed our stay!! In looking at the pictures posted, I'm just realizing we must have been upgraded to a Studio, because that was exactly how our room looked! It was very spacious!

The walk to Epcot was really not bad at all, and we walked back from MGM one night. We didn't realize it at the time we booked, but the Swan is the first pick up and drop off for bus service. Service was great at the Swan!

We'll be back at the Swan Nov 29 - Dec 3 - can't wait!!! Hey Tikiman, when will yall be at the Swan???

DisneyFans4
08-27-2006, 07:02 PM
We didn't realize it at the time we booked, but the Swan is the first pick up and drop off for bus service. Service was great at the Swan!

It's why I love the Swan because Epcot is my favorite park and we can just walk over. Yes, it was great that the Swan is the first bus stop. I think sometimes Boardwalk is but it depends on where the bus is going. At times the bus was pretty full when it got to the Swan and I found out they were Boardwalk guests and then sometimes when the bus got to the Swan it was empty so you knew we were the first stop so I think it depends on where the bus was going.

I can't believe I've been home one week already....I wish I was back at the Swan!!!!!

masonjar
08-27-2006, 07:37 PM
We have been looking at the Swan or Dolphin for our trip next summer. Are the pools between both resorts? If we were going to spend quite a bit of time at the pools, which of the two would be better?

We have stayed at POP and at POFQ twice. We are one of the odd families who think its easier to drive to the parks rather than take the bus. It is my understanding to park at the Swan/Dolphin you must pay $8 a night. What about parking at the parks...do you have to pay or do you get to park free?

DisneyFans4
08-27-2006, 07:46 PM
Yes, the pool is huge and shared by both hotels. Each hotel also has their own quiet pool which is also very nice and right next to the quiet pool at the Swan is the Splash Grill.

We didn't rent a car and relied on Disney transportation but I thought I heard valet parking at the hotel was $14 but don't quote me on that. I think if your a Disney resort guest you don't have to pay for parking in the parks. I think you are given something you put in your window but double check that too.

We just got back from the Swan last week and I'M already going through withdrawals.....

Poly Pal
08-27-2006, 07:57 PM
We really liked the Swan and thought it to be a very good value for a Deluxe resort on property. Not as elaboratley themed as the Polynesian, but still quite nice.

Tikiman needs a crib?!! Where have I been? CONGRATULATIONS ;)

masonjar
08-27-2006, 07:58 PM
When checking in at Disney resorts, we have always received a resort map. Does anyone have a good resort map they could post or know where I could view one? The few I have seen haven't been very helpful.

Mephistoles
08-29-2006, 09:33 PM
Yes, the pool is huge and shared by both hotels. Each hotel also has their own quiet pool which is also very nice and right next to the quiet pool at the Swan is the Splash Grill.

We didn't rent a car and relied on Disney transportation but I thought I heard valet parking at the hotel was $14 but don't quote me on that. I think if your a Disney resort guest you don't have to pay for parking in the parks. I think you are given something you put in your window but double check that too.

We just got back from the Swan last week and I'M already going through withdrawals.....
I just got back from the Swan on the 27th of this month and I, too, am having withdrawal...sigh sigh.
I would definitely stay there again without a doubt

DisneyFans4
08-30-2006, 09:26 AM
I just got back from the Swan on the 27th of this month and I, too, am having withdrawal...sigh sigh.
I would definitely stay there again without a doubt

How were the crowds when you were there? During our first week it wasn't bad at all but during the second you could see a huge difference. We left on the 18th.

jwfla422
08-30-2006, 11:15 AM
JWFLA422 how did you have a "heavenly bed" in the parlor area. I thought they only had pull-outs?

Does anyone know?

We just "rate"... :rotfl2: ...just kidding!! But really, from speaking with other people who have stayed in the Swan suites, most of the palors have beds in them in addition to the pull-out sofa, the room is huge, they can sure fit one in there without a problem. Someone else I knew had a king bed in the palor! I believe we had a full or a queen. Seems like there would be a big empty space in there without that extra bed. We also had a pullout in the studio room as well.

TIKIMAN-if you look at the Swan Executive Suite photos link below, we had a regular king room which had the connecting door to the palor/suite (see photos 8, 9 & 10). This king room is just a like a regular sized room except it had a pull-out and some of the kings have a chair instead. The queens usually have a chair. Even with a pullout you can push it down to the wall and make room for a crib by the window or in the corner.

When we stayed at the Swan in the regular rooms 5 years ago, my dd was in a crib and we put her in the corner area of the room without a problem. I know the furniture layout is different now since they remodeled but there should still be room by the window/slider area for a crib. There's plenty of room by the desk too, if you look at my photo #10, the connecting door is open, normally that door is closed so you can actually put the crib along there as well.

Mephistoles
08-30-2006, 08:18 PM
How were the crowds when you were there? During our first week it wasn't bad at all but during the second you could see a huge difference. We left on the 18th.
It seemed crowded but I must say that I don't think that we waited more than 20 minutes for popular rides (when we didn't Fast Pass...and we only did that maybe 5 or 6 times TOPS).
I think that my 4 year old son was a bit overwhelmed by the crowds but he gradually came around.