PDA

View Full Version : Is Poly Luau Worth It?

gottaluvdis
08-03-2006, 12:20 PM
We're thinking about taking in the Poly Luau show when we are at WDW in a few weeks (if we can get in). The cost for 3 of us will be just over $125.00. DD9 is a fairly picky eater. I know we are mostly paying for the show and not the food, but can anyone shed some light on if the show and food combined is worth it? I'd love to hear all opinions. Also, if anyone has suggestions for another dinner show (at WDW), I'd love to hear them. We're trying to figure out whether to put this on our schedule or not.

Thanks! :sunny:

gris gris
08-03-2006, 01:17 PM
I am a very picky eater and did not eat my meal - I can't even remember what it was but it was something exotic looking. I drank the drinks though (they were included!). DH & I did not really enjoy it - we wanted to go because we went when we were kids and it seemed so magical. As adults, we really felt like we should have spent our money somewhere else.

Do they have food choices for kids?

ChrisLei
08-03-2006, 01:20 PM
I say it is totally worth it! My family and I went last November and my two children are EXTREMELY picky eaters (I have a 7 year old daughter and 3 year old son). They give a Mickey boxed dinner for the kids and can I say they ate EVERYTHING in the box. DH and I were shocked. They even picked off of the food that was brought out for us.
We thought the show was very nice. My daughter was especially excited since the main characters name was Leilani just like her.
I say it is totally worth it!

lovetheparks
08-03-2006, 02:16 PM
We had 15+ of us last year for our Grandparent's 50th and we all enjoyed it very much. I am pretty picky but the food was very good and there was plenty of it to go around.

DVC Sadie
08-03-2006, 03:25 PM
For us it was not worth it at all. The food was just okay and the show left a lot to be desired. This is one area that people either love it or hate it depending on what they expect.

DisneyBrat
08-03-2006, 08:00 PM
We have never been to Poly Luau but have been to SeaWorld Luau. Ohana's has GREAT food and fun games for the kids too. The food is out of this world. Even our picky eater liked it!!! Ohana's can make the kids a hotdog or mac and cheese too. Luau's are cool to see the show but if this particular luau isn't getting good reveiws SAVE the money and eat at Ohana's BOOK asap because they are hard to get ressies

Lew

HopperFan
08-03-2006, 08:25 PM
DSis went thinking her three DD would enjoy. Very dissappointed. Said food was bad, thank goodness for drinks. Entertainment okay, but the girls would have enjoyed more if characters had been there. She just said they did not get anywhere near their monies worth.....no one was WOWed not even kids.

Now Sis-in-law was in charge of a business fun dinner for a group, and decided on Sea World Luau. Said it was wonderful and a big success for her at work.

Pinkprincessmom
08-03-2006, 08:47 PM
We went to the Luau in April - and my DW and I disagreed on our opinions of the event. We both thought the food was pretty good - especially the fresh pineapple and bread. Our DD6 got the chicken tenders, and ended up getting a second order.

I guess where we disagree is the entertainment. DW and DD both enjoyed it, but I wasn't too impressed. The singing and dancing were fine - it was hard for me to hear the dialog when they were talking. The highlight of the show was the guy that twirled the fire - but that was at the end and lasted about 10 minutes.

Also, they told us to get there 60 minutes early to pick up our tickets, and the earlier show wasn't done yet. There wasn't really anyone there to greet us that early (DW and I had to go back to the entrance to get the leis.

Finally, they take a picture when you are going in, then bring a picture package to you that includes a couple 5x7, wallets, and keychains. I don't remember how much it was, but seems like it was around $40-$50. They don't tell you when they take your picture that you'll have to pay, so if you're not interested, just skip it.

Hope this helps.

oops - just noticed I was logged in under DW's account - this was written by PinkPrincessDad

Jennyvelaz
08-03-2006, 09:10 PM
No, not at all! Family of four (at the time)...I agree with Ohana's. Better service, food, and the surroundings are more interactive than the high priced, waste of money show!

OceanAnnie
08-03-2006, 09:17 PM
It was "ok". We did it once and that was enough for us.

Luv2trav
08-03-2006, 09:18 PM
Luau-No not at all worth the money. Show was cheesy in my opinion.

Ohana-Loved every bit of it!!

Maybelle
08-03-2006, 11:47 PM
We (DH, DD-9, and myself) went last summer. It was DD's pick between that and the Hoop-Dee-Do, and she was going through this luau phase.

We used our dining credits to go, so I wasn't exactly thinking about the price, but that being said...we all loved it!

We had pork ribs, chicken, awesome bread, fresh fruit, and we loved the dessert, although I can't remember at the moment what it was, and I know a lot of people aren't that thrilled with it.

The show itself was a little cheesy as far as the story goes, but the hula dancing and fire dancing was really great, and DD loved it. Also they had a chance at the beginning when people from the audience could come to the front and learn some hula moves. DD enjoyed this too.

Overall, we had a great night, and left very full!!! If we had had to pay the money out of pocket though, instead of doing it on the dining plan, I'm not sure we would have sprung for it. I'd love to go back again just for the bread!!!

~Kathie
08-04-2006, 12:20 AM
We went many years ago and my daughter who was a very picky eater didn't eat a thing. It's nice to see that they added kid's meals.

The show was okay for same reasons other's stated. When we went Mickey & Minnie, Goofy and Donald made an appearance. Shows you how long ago it was.

I've been to the Hoop De Doo Review also that was more recent. If I had to pick......I'd pick Hoop De Doo over the Luau.

gottaluvdis
08-04-2006, 11:22 AM
Thank you all so much for your reviews! This really helps us out. I may consider Ohana's instead, or the Hoop De Doo Review. I also asked DD which she wanted and she chose the luau (her birthday party last year was a luau theme as well). Sadly, she thinks she's too old for character dining (I know, hard to believe!) but she's excited for a show-type of meal. I think the price is steep, but DD will definitely eat regular kids food, so she'd be fine with the box meal. I just don't know if $25 for her to eat a box meal is worth it. We'll be at Typhoon Lagoon that day and would have to check into the hotel, change, and get over to the Poly for the 5:15 show, which is also causing me a little stress, especially if we have to be there an hour early (we're staying at Coronado Springs). We'll drive our rental car to save some time. I may look further into just having a meal at Ohana's if they have space. Thanks again!

ToontownPrincess
08-04-2006, 01:09 PM
I'm curious about this too. Alot of people replying have gone with children. I'm wondering if there are any young couples (20'-30's) that have either loved or hated the laua. I've been wanting to go but was wondering if it's any good.

pamlet
08-04-2006, 01:30 PM
I think it's like anything in life .... everyone has different tastes...

That said we had a great time... Dh, DS 21, DS 16, myself.... we went last year (May 2005)...

We thought the food was good - I LOVED the ribs for some reason ... not my usual.. something about the sauce on them I enjoyed. We joke that my younger son ate about 4 whole chickens... laugh.... AND he and I LOVED the dessert... tho' some don't. As other's have said the free drinks are nice... they're still teasing me about how "Happy" I was on the ride back to our condo... :o

The show at times dragged ... but was fun .. the fire dancing was very cool per the boys...

I'd rank it as one of those evenings we'll be talking about when hubby and I are 80... and the kids are saying ... you should have seen Grandma acting silly... :blush:

Rebeccapaige!
08-05-2006, 01:29 AM
HI, count us in for a WE loved the luau!! i have been to the luau nearly everytime we have been to disney since I was a child! for the person wanting to know ages, I am 28 I was 26 when we went in feb. 2005. We enjoyed the food, I remember reading reviews and thinking maybe the luau had gone bad, it had been a big break since my previous disney trip in 2005. anyhow I was very pleased, the pictures I bought were $30 for the package, we got keychains and magnets, wallets etc. etc. actually I found that package to be one of the better deals. I mean I was paying how much for one 5x7 in teh parks for other pictures you know. my youngest dd almost 3 at the time ate a kids meal. my older dd almost 5 is more adventuresome, and while she ordered a kids meal, she ended up eating off the chicken etc, she loved the chicken !! My grandparents went with us and they also enjoyed it! it was fun we all dressed Hawaiian I have great photo memories with my grandparents, one of the highlights for me! that being said, we also went to ohana's!! we loved that also and will do that again!! I would do the luau again in a heartbeat, but they doing this treasure hunt thing we want to try so we're going to try that this year! My 5 year old dd LOVED the steak at ohana's. the only thing is our seats were not in front of the cooking area at ohana's so we didn't have that entertainment to watch. If it were up to me i'd do both places! we did love the luau show and the food! Have fun!!!
Becky, Paige and Hailey
we all loved the luau
POR Feb. 2005
POP or CSR Feb. 2007

gottaluvdis
08-06-2006, 08:25 PM
Thanks again for the opinions. I booked us for dinner at Ohana's instead, mostly because it's about 1/2 the price, and the food has been rated excellent. They also interact with you and have kids games. I showed DD9 pictures of Ohanas and the menu, and DH really liked the menu too. We're going on Sunday rather than Friday, and dining early enough that we can go to one of the parks for a show after. The timing works better for us. Maybe we'll get to the Luau during another visit.

savannah2l
08-06-2006, 08:58 PM
I was trying to decide if I wanted to make ressie's for the luau, but from what I am hearing I think we will go to Ohana's instead. DH, DS16, DD14, and DD10 will love it. :woohoo:

Thanks for all the info. :thanks: This will be our first trip to WDW. :jumping1: June 2007 can't get here fast enough. :dancer:
:banana: :banana: