PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about turn down service!

PrincessV
08-03-2006, 10:02 AM
Okay, I've seen a few references to turn down service, but I'm more than a little confused as to how this works and what you get from it. :confused3
Is it available to anyone at the Poly, or just concierge rooms? What are the benefits, other than folding over the covers?

Steffi
08-03-2006, 10:32 AM
It's available at all deluxe resorts. If you're not staying concierge, you just have to call mousekeeping and request it. From our experience, it involves turning down the blankets, a few chocolates on your pillow, and fresh towels occasionally.

Mom3girls
08-03-2006, 10:48 AM
Does anyone know around what time of day they do this at the Poly? I want to make sure to leave a tip for this service. Would you tip the $1-2 per person that I tip regular mousekeeping for turn down service? TIA :confused3

utilidor
08-03-2006, 10:50 AM
Usually late afternoon, early evening. There will be chocolates and fresh towels, sometimes towel animals.

Steffi
08-03-2006, 11:14 AM
Here is a picture of our turn-down at WL:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a279/Dixon33510/smallturndown.jpg

PrincessV
08-03-2006, 12:09 PM
If only I'd known! FINALLY, this may be my towel-animal dreams realized! ;) (Really, after 25+ stays at the World, I've yet to see a towel animal. :confused3 )

Thanks for the info. I'll echo Mom3girls - is there a standard time of day this happens? Or do we schedule a time frame?

Steffi
08-03-2006, 12:58 PM
I don't know when they sneak in and do the turn-down. I'd guess between 4:00 and 6:00, but I'm not really sure.

Caitsmama
08-03-2006, 01:15 PM
We had it at the BC.. It had been anywhere from about 3pm til 8pm.. Weird.. every day was sometimes a different time..Sometimes we were already in the room, and the beds were a mess... and we told her not to bother , but they always gave us a handfull of chocolates either way! Which my dd loved! LOL And, yes, the coveted towel animals too!
bTW, we were conciege all times, so i am not sure about any other rooms..

mlwear
08-03-2006, 01:25 PM
Last year turn down magically happened each night after we left for dinner :thumbsup2 . Our usual dinner time was around 5:30 give or take. I love it as we shower right before dinner and with turndown our wet towels are taken away and replenished with new for the morning. Our trash was always emptied as well. If it was just turning down the sheet and a few chocolates, I probably wouldn't bother, but it is a freshened up room. :goodvibes We didn't get any towel animals during turn down. Just wanted to add that so no one got their hopes up too high. The kids stuffed animals though were usually arranged neatly on the bed, though. :thumbsup2

PrinceGoofy
08-03-2006, 01:50 PM
I've been leaving an envelope for Mousekeeping in the morning. Does this take care of it or do you need to leave something in the afternoon also?

Thanks

utilidor
08-03-2006, 02:17 PM
Re: tip - it sometimes is different staff, so we usually tip twice. The turndown is 1-2 and the AM tip is 4-5.

Note - while turndown may be automatic on concierge at the deluxes, I don't recall turndown at BC, BW or Yacht in standard rooms. It was automatic in all the rooms at GF, and we got it at BW on concierge.

utilidor
08-03-2006, 02:19 PM
Oh - and there is no set time, just like there's no set time for housekeeping. As others have said, I recall having it as late as 8-830. My guess is that they target 6-7PM as that's when most people are out at dinner.

mousette
08-03-2006, 02:51 PM
You can request a specific time for turn down, last year we requested between 6 - 7pm at the GF and it was always done.

It is lovely, fresh towels, curtains are closed, lights dimmed and covers turned down with a choccie and a message card with the following days weather forecast.

Grandmouse
08-04-2006, 11:52 AM
Just returned from 5 nights at the BC and we did not have turn-down service once (I wasn't aware you needed to ask for it.) In fact, we hardly had any mousekeeping at all. Every day it was a struggle to get enough towels for five, (they always only left enough for 4). The first night, we asked for the extra pillow for the daybed, and the next morning they took it, never to return it. A pillow on one of the beds was an old dirty one that another guest had left behind. I'm not sure how someone missed that when they put a pillowcase on it. We never had a towel animal, although it was obvious there were small children in the room. The first morning we used the coffee packet and it was never replaced, neither was the soap or shampoo. Most days we arrived back at our room between 3:30 and 5 p.m., and mousekeeping had not been there yet.

We have stayed at many other DW resorts and have never had a lack of mousekeeping like this. We did complain to the manager, and received a verbal "sorry." Considering what we paid for that room, it definitely was not worth the money and I would probably not want to stay there again.

We were there for our family reunion (50+) and most family members stayed at CBR, Jamaica #45. Their mousekeeping was exceptional.

Darian
08-04-2006, 01:00 PM
Just returned from 5 nights at the BC and we did not have turn-down service once (I wasn't aware you needed to ask for it.) In fact, we hardly had any mousekeeping at all. Every day it was a struggle to get enough towels for five, (they always only left enough for 4). The first night, we asked for the extra pillow for the daybed, and the next morning they took it, never to return it. A pillow on one of the beds was an old dirty one that another guest had left behind. I'm not sure how someone missed that when they put a pillowcase on it. We never had a towel animal, although it was obvious there were small children in the room. The first morning we used the coffee packet and it was never replaced, neither was the soap or shampoo. Most days we arrived back at our room between 3:30 and 5 p.m., and mousekeeping had not been there yet.

We have stayed at many other DW resorts and have never had a lack of mousekeeping like this. We did complain to the manager, and received a verbal "sorry." Considering what we paid for that room, it definitely was not worth the money and I would probably not want to stay there again.

We were there for our family reunion (50+) and most family members stayed at CBR, Jamaica #45. Their mousekeeping was exceptional.

Sorry about your experience at the BC. We stayed there concierge last time and had a wonderful time. The room was spotless. I wonder if they have been letting things slide?

But about turn down service, thats when they put those little chocolates on your pillow and corn flakes in your bed! :rotfl2:

Cool-Beans
08-04-2006, 01:16 PM
They turn the covers down, leave something (mint on pillow), turn on a light, and give you clean towels. Sometimes they turn the TV on very low, too. A lot of times, you'll get towel animals or they do something cute with stuffed animals...but not always.

The "mint" on the pillow is often themed to the resort (e.g. at Boardwalk Inn you get taffy.) And they usually leave a little piece of paper themed to the hotel, too.

I kind of liked turn-down when I traveled for business. The room seems less lonely, warmer. But I wouldn't pay for it, that's for sure. And when there are other people with me, I couldn't care less.

I've heard conflicting reports about whether it is available for all "deluxe" guests or just concierge. But, if you want new towels, all you have to do is call housekeeping - anyone can get fresh towels. :)