PDA

View Full Version : Anyone own a pellet stove for heat?

molly2004
08-03-2006, 07:54 AM
Okay, so it might be in bad taste to talk about winter heating during a summer heatwave :sunny: , but the article in the paper about the cost of gas increasing because of the heat has me thinking.

DH and I discussed putting in a pellet stove for heat last winter. We currently have gas. Has anyone done this? Would you recommend it as a cheaper and more effiicent alternative to gas and electric?

What are your thoughts? Should we do it?

Thanks!

MissMichelle
08-03-2006, 08:04 AM
Okay, so it might be in bad taste to talk about winter heating during a summer heatwave :sunny: , but the article in the paper about the cost of gas increasing because of the heat has me thinking.

DH and I discussed putting in a pellet stove for heat last winter. We currently have gas. Has anyone done this? Would you recommend it as a cheaper and more effiicent alternative to gas and electric?

What are your thoughts? Should we do it?

Thanks!

We had our installed last winter (actually around October) and we bought pellets on bulk ($240 a pallet) and the price rose before the end of the winter. Prices in everything are going up, but it was still cheaper then heating with gas.
The cost of start up though was high. The stove cost us $3500, then we had to have it installed. Inspection by fire department had to be done. Just took some time. We also had ordered our stove mid summer and October was the soonest one place could come, the rest were closer to CHRISTMAS! Now living in New England that would have been bad, luckily we had a mild winter.
The one and only thing I don't like is the lack of smell...I LOVE wood stove scent, and this gives off nothing. It burns clean and warms really well though. The room it is in as with any stove (wood, pellet, corn) will be much hotter unless you have volted ceilings or an open floor plan. We don't and our living room gets super hot.

KristinU
08-03-2006, 09:50 AM
We've been starting to research a pellet stove as well. Thanks for the info MissMichelle!

With our house layout I think our only option would be a fireplace insert - anyone with any experience with an insert?

mom2twinz3
08-03-2006, 10:45 AM
We have a fireplace insert. I love it. It almost heats the entire house except for the bedrooms upstairs. We live in the middle of a hardwood forest and get all the free firewood we can use just from deadfall though, so it just takes a bit of work and we can heat very economically.

Good luck!

Mary

lovindonald
08-03-2006, 10:58 AM
My ex had one put into our fireplace years ago. I have not used it in several years since I hate the noise of the blower. Also, I find that the room it is in it HOT and then the rest of the house is fairly cool even with the blower. Then the heat doesn't click on since it is registering warm and the bedrooms are a bit cold. It is cheaper to run with the pellets instead of gas, but I just don't like it. If you get one, I have 2 pallets of unused pellets for sale I would love to get rid of. I am going to put them on ebay or craigslist in the fall when people are looking for them.

luvsmickeymouse
08-03-2006, 07:08 PM
I have a woodstove and it has paid for itself already. This will be our third winter with it. We have propane also but use wood most of the time. It was the best thing I have ever bought. I already have bought my wood for the winter. And the propane tanks are full, so I am ready.