PDA

View Full Version : Southwest Assigned Seating Poll

MrShiny
08-03-2006, 06:12 AM
If you are a Rapid Rewards member, you can vote in a poll about assigned seating on Southwest until August 11:

http://www.southwest.com/rapid_rewards/rr_survey.html?src=rreu060803

They state if they decide to go to assigned seating, it will not be until 2008.

tmt martins
08-03-2006, 07:09 AM
I did all three of ours today

NO TO ASSIGNED SEATING

richs52
08-03-2006, 07:44 AM
I voted YES to assigned seating.

sandy6879
08-03-2006, 08:27 AM
I voted YES as well - having children makes me crazy about wanting to make sure we sit together. ON vacation, I made darn sure we were back in our hotel room 24 hours before the flight so I could check in for the flight.

debabe723
08-03-2006, 08:28 AM
Just voted NO. Seems whenever DS and I fly on an airline other than Southwest, we get put in separate rows and have to beg other passengers to switch with us. I like being in charge of where I sit. Thanks for the link.

MyGoofy26
08-03-2006, 08:57 AM
I voted no (except the only get to choose 24 hours before option) But really, I think the assigned seating slows things WAY down. I was amazed at how quickly we boarded and took off the first time I flew Southwest.

mom2of2
08-03-2006, 09:03 AM
voted NO for everything

nuke
08-03-2006, 09:13 AM
Another No vote from me and my family.

pearlieq
08-03-2006, 09:21 AM
I think I'm going to be another No vote.

There are plenty of airlines that offer assigned seats. The one thing I kind of like about Southwest is that I can buy my ticket 2 days before the flight and still have a chance at a good seat, whereas on other airlines you're pretty much guaranteed a seat in the lav.

tabrizia
08-03-2006, 09:26 AM
I voted ambilivant. In other words, I'd deal with assigned seating, but if it isn't there I am just as happy.

MyGoofy26
08-03-2006, 09:34 AM
I think I'm going to be another No vote.

There are plenty of airlines that offer assigned seats. The one thing I kind of like about Southwest is that I can buy my ticket 2 days before the flight and still have a chance at a good seat, whereas on other airlines you're pretty much guaranteed a seat in the lav.

Yep yep. And as much as I 'rebuy' my seats everytime they go onsale. . . it'd be such a pain to keep picking seats over and over. Most airlines that allow you to choose your own seat, it's tough to get something together even a couple months before - people booking the window and aisle so that "hopefully" no one will split the middle. And I like not having to analyze who I want to sit by based on a dot on the screen - we all know WHO you get stuck by can be as much a factor on how good of a flight it was as WHERE you got stuck.

Karenj2
08-03-2006, 09:40 AM
I also got the email, but I've never flown southwest yet, so I'm not going to fill out the survey.

It's interesting reading your responses, though.

ducklite
08-03-2006, 09:44 AM
Do all you "No's" all book SW because of price or seating? If another carrier that offered assigned seats was less expensive, would you book them instead?

Anne

mking624
08-03-2006, 09:52 AM
I voted "no". I actually prefer the way it is now. We've never been a fan of assigned seating, no matter what the airline. From everything I've seen on various websites and message boards, it seems that the people who don't want it are those who are frequent flyers with SWA.

gottaluvdis
08-03-2006, 10:02 AM
Thanks for the link. I forwarded it to all travellers in my company. There has been much discussion of this since it was announced that SW did this as a trial on San Diego flights last month. The overwhelming sentiment from our travellers has been "NO" to assigned seats.

azgal81
08-03-2006, 10:15 AM
No assigned seating for me either. I like it how it is. Getting into the A group is not that difficult. I usually book them because its cheaper then other airlines and the no assigned seating is just a benefit.

salmoneous
08-03-2006, 10:17 AM
Do all you "No's" all book SW because of price or seating? If another carrier that offered assigned seats was less expensive, would you book them instead?Anne SW gives me two things I really like - better service and better seating. I'm willing to pay a little more for each. Today, I'd probably pay 10% more for a SW flight than an identical legacy flight. If they switch to assigned seats, I might only pay 5% more.

DMRick
08-03-2006, 10:24 AM
I voted no..I like how quickly we load compared to other airlines, and we have had our seats switched so much, and had to plead with others to switch on the assigned seating planes, that I find I like the control I have over my seating on SW. If they went to assigned seating, then I would book only according to price with the "other" guys who already offer assigned seating, instead of sticking to SW whenever possible.

MyGoofy26
08-03-2006, 10:43 AM
Do all you "No's" all book SW because of price or seating? If another carrier that offered assigned seats was less expensive, would you book them instead?

Anne

There are really three things about Southwest that gives them the advantage, for me. Price? Heck yeah. But if you're patient, you can usually find great fares ($120 or less nostop round trip) out of Pittsburgh so really my preference isn't based a lot on that. Seating? Yep - I love being able to check in 24 hours early to get my A group and then hop into the first seat that looks good rather than stand in the aisle of a plane while 15 people in front of me look at their ticket, look at the row, look at the ticket, look at the row until they make it to the back of the plane. And the third is flexibility. I LOVE being able to buy a ticket full price and know that when it goes on sale, it'll take me about 30 seconds to cancel my flight and rebook at the cheaper flight and not lose a penny. I haven't seen a legacy airline be this flexible with changing flights and offering the credit. Southwest has totally taken away that "should I book or should I wait?" stress away.

tmt martins
08-03-2006, 11:08 AM

Anne

I book due to the price and then get to choose my seats by getting the A's

The problem I see is that if they are assigning seats and they only have middles avail then I will just book another flight right then and there.

Others give discounts as well but then they won't assign seats for their cheaper fairs until you check-in ( airtran)

For long term planned trips it doesn't really matter as I'm ussaully booked when they open the dates and check-in right at the 24hr mark (cellphone).
But for the last minute trips is where the assigned seats become a problem.

KAREN8130
08-03-2006, 01:28 PM
I voted NO,Now I have to go and vote NO for my husband

bumpysheep
08-03-2006, 01:46 PM
Me and my family memebrs just voted NO, NO, NO.

Thanks for the post, we had no idea!

cats mom
08-03-2006, 02:13 PM

Anne

Depends on how much less expensive.
If it was a significant difference I'd go with the other airline.
If the fares were close I'd stick with SW even if it meant paying a bit more.

I have to admit I was concerned about the whole open seating thing the 1st time we booked a SW flight, but many trips later I much prefer it!

Gotta go find our RR#'s and vote NO

Anne34
08-03-2006, 04:08 PM
I voted YES!! Much less stress trying to get a family of five together than having to get a A ticket 24 hours before. We brought our laptop with last time so we could get the A group for our flight home. What a pain in the butt!!

jcemom
08-03-2006, 07:07 PM
There are really three things about Southwest that gives them the advantage, for me. Price? Heck yeah. But if you're patient, you can usually find great fares ($120 or less nostop round trip) out of Pittsburgh so really my preference isn't based a lot on that. Seating? Yep - I love being able to check in 24 hours early to get my A group and then hop into the first seat that looks good rather than stand in the aisle of a plane while 15 people in front of me look at their ticket, look at the row, look at the ticket, look at the row until they make it to the back of the plane. And the third is flexibility. I LOVE being able to buy a ticket full price and know that when it goes on sale, it'll take me about 30 seconds to cancel my flight and rebook at the cheaper flight and not lose a penny. I haven't seen a legacy airline be this flexible with changing flights and offering the credit. Southwest has totally taken away that "should I book or should I wait?" stress away.Ditto for me.

I voted NO.

DVC Sadie
08-03-2006, 07:11 PM
We voted no for the both of us. We only fly SW to Orlando since they are the only ones who offer a non-stop flight from NOLA. Now that Delta flies non-stop to Orlando from Gulfport/Biloxi we use that airline.

mrsstats
08-03-2006, 07:53 PM
I voted yes to assigned seating. I just like to know my seat before hand. To the previous poster, if I had the choice to fly on another airline for the same price or close to it, I would pick the assigned seating. However, from Long Island, we dont have much choice as nothing except Southwest flys direct to alot of the locations we want.

Bibbidy Bobbidy Boo
08-05-2006, 03:17 PM
I must say, I'm so surprised to see all the no's!! Am I the only one, who, having gotten an A pass, and standing for a long while to be practically first in line, has been thwarted by entire families with not so little children, preboarding, and taking all the seats in the front? And then, when it's my turn to board, with my one carry on , I have to wait while they all rearrange, and stow all the extra carry on stuff, that SW shouldn't allow on, before I slip quickly into my seat and stow my bag at my feet.

I would say No, only if they changed the rule that if they are going to allow families with small children to board first, then they make them sit in the back of the plane, because, with what I have seen, if they need extra time to board, that means they need extra time to deplane, and it holds up everyone else who could get off quickly. Or, as an alternative, ask these same people who have preboarded to remain in their seats until everyone else has deplaned. And yes, I have children, but when traveling with them when they were small, was always conscious of moving into our seats quickly, to get out of the way of traffice. These days, people don't seem to care that they are holding everyone else up. People are just so rude and inconsiderate, these days, I've found!

While I'm venting and dreaming, if I were in charge, I would also have the boarding attendants announce that before entering the jetway to board, everyone remove any outer clothing they want to now, so that they are not holding everyone up whlle taking their sweet time in the middle of the aisle, removing their jacket, adjusting their overhead bags, and other carryons. And the same with deplaning. Why can't people wait till they get off the plane to put on their coats!!

Ahh- I feel better now! Thanks for letting me vent! I wonder if I'm the only one who's bothered by these things when flying?

Bibbidy Bobbidy Boo
08-05-2006, 03:18 PM
Can anyone tell me how to get rid of all the gibberish under my signature?!!!

mking624
08-05-2006, 03:35 PM
Man I'll take the back of the plane any day. No one ever goes back there and I find it muchmore peaceful than the front. EVERYONE always tries to get front seats...while I just happily move my way to the back and take a window seat (and I have been given a C boarding pass as well and never had problems being away from those I traveling with).

jjan
08-05-2006, 06:30 PM
Hi Bibbidy Bobbidy Boo...

Just go up to the dark blue line across the top of your screen and click on User CP and then click on Edit Signature and just erase the extra part. I also wanted to say HI :wave2: since I am in Dover too. What a small world :goodvibes

MyGoofy26
08-05-2006, 09:14 PM
I must say, I'm so surprised to see all the no's!! Am I the only one, who, having gotten an A pass, and standing for a long while to be practically first in line, has been thwarted by entire families with not so little children, preboarding, and taking all the seats in the front?

I think I've been lucky, I haven't had that happen. The Orlando flights I've been on won't allow preboarding for families with small children because of the sheer number of them - it would defeat the purpose. The only other flights I've been on have been Vegas flights and not too many families headed there. :teeth:

jcemom
08-06-2006, 12:19 PM
I said no because I've found Southwest to have the most efficient boarding process, just the way it is. When DD is with us we get to preboard, but we've gone without her and no preboard also. We've always had either an A or B boarding pass. The thing is, on all those other airlines WITH assigned seating, those with mobility problems and families with small children STILL get to preboard. No? That's the way I remember it, anyway. And, not to say Southwest would do it, but with other airlines there have been quite a few times I've had assigned seats only to have them change it on me anyway. I'd choose all our seats together, only to find out they moved us and we were no longer together. What a pain.

DMRick
08-06-2006, 06:49 PM
Every trip (1/2 dozen or so a year) has had preboarding with the kids, including leaving Orlando, but as long as we've had an A, it doesn't matter. We can sit until the A's are done, if we want and still get a good seat. We are lucky that out plane loads from front and back form Albany, so we are usually in the emergency exit seats, before the kids have finished loading. Even if we ended up in the back, it doesn't matter, because we have luggage, and we just stay seated until it's clear, since we have to wait at the luggage area anyway.
I must say, I'm so surprised to see all the no's!! Am I the only one, who, having gotten an A pass, and standing for a long while to be practically first in line, has been thwarted by entire families with not so little children, preboarding, and taking all the seats in the front?

teamagic
08-06-2006, 10:40 PM
Voted NO and everyone in my family has voted no also. I have two small children and it is never a problem getting seats together.