PDA

View Full Version : Just back from Beach Club....new mug observation

Cathy baby RN
08-02-2006, 11:02 PM
We just got back from a 10 day stay at WDW. 3 days on the dining plan at Pop Century(wanted to try it out) and then 7 days at the Beach Club at the AP rate. When we first got to the Beach Club we bought the refillable mugs that said Yacht Club/Beach Club on them(the ones they've always had). Mid stay I went into the Marketplace and they had replaced those mugs with mugs that said Summer 2006 on them. The others were no longer on the shelf. I don't know if they did this at other resorts or just the Beach Club. Anyone know?
We had a great stay :thumbsup2 .... if anyone has any questions, just ask

Ilovestitch
08-03-2006, 12:17 AM
What design do the new ones have on them??

Cathy baby RN
08-03-2006, 12:54 AM
What design do the new ones have on them??

It is white with a blue background...maybe Mickey at the beach(sorry, can't remember exactly) with a blue lid and handle. It only says SUMMER 2006 on it
with no reference to any resort.

minnie61650
08-03-2006, 05:29 AM
We just got back from a 10 day stay at WDW. 3 days on the dining plan at Pop Century(wanted to try it out) and then 7 days at the Beach Club at the AP rate. When we first got to the Beach Club we bought the refillable mugs that said Yacht Club/Beach Club on them(the ones they've always had). Mid stay I went into the Marketplace and they had replaced those mugs with mugs that said Summer 2006 on them. The others were no longer on the shelf. I don't know if they did this at other resorts or just the Beach Club. Anyone know?
We had a great stay :thumbsup2 .... if anyone has any questions, just ask

That is very interesting.
It sounds like CM's would be able spot guests who are not using the "summer 2006" mugs quite readily.
It may be a new test run to enforce using mugs only during a one time stay.
Since so many guests split their stays I would rather see a universal mug that can be used at any resort during a stay.

Time will tell if this is going to be used at all of the resorts.

stacy6552
08-03-2006, 08:22 AM
OH NO! I know I know, I shouldn't have been hoping to bring my old mugs back, but DARNIT!

Strommie
08-03-2006, 08:58 AM
Hmmm, this sounds quite interesting!

hiwaygal
08-03-2006, 09:01 AM
That is very interesting.
It sounds like CM's would be able spot guests who are not using the "summer 2006" mugs quite readily.
It may be a new test run to enforce using mugs only during a one time stay.
Since so many guests split their stays I would rather see a universal mug that can be used at any resort during a stay.

Time will tell if this is going to be used at all of the resorts.

Actually, that's kind of sad!

For us, the mugs are souvenirs...and I would think, to some extent, it would be cool to get one from all the resorts. If they replace them with "(insert season and year here)" type mugs just because of people abusing the system...well...that would just be really sad. Understandable, but sad.

minnie61650
08-03-2006, 11:28 AM
Actually, that's kind of sad!

For us, the mugs are souvenirs...and I would think, to some extent, it would be cool to get one from all the resorts. If they replace them with "(insert season and year here)" type mugs just because of people abusing the system...well...that would just be really sad. Understandable, but sad.

Yes, it is kinda sad. But I think a mug with the season and year printed on it would be more cost effective and a little less complicated than a length of stay barcode for the resort mugs.

JMHO

Cathy baby RN
08-03-2006, 12:21 PM
OH NO! I know I know, I shouldn't have been hoping to bring my old mugs back, but DARNIT!

Stacy,
As long as you have the Beach Club/Yacht Club mug I think it would be fine. I bet they'll bring those back after summer. One day the shelf was full of those and the next day they were gone! Those,along with the new one, were being used while I was there. In fact, not only those, but I saw people using All Star mugs and an Epcot mug :confused3 while I was standing there!

kmjmom
08-03-2006, 01:46 PM
Last summer the BC ran out of refillable mugs and they had a variety on the shelves. It was sort of a bummer since we wanted them as souvenirs of the BC and ours said DVC on them. :confused3

freediverdude
08-03-2006, 03:09 PM
Yes, my guess is that they ran out of the Beach Club mugs. One stay at Old Key West all they had was a Summer 2003 mug I think it was. They substitute those seasonal mugs when they run out of the regular. Don't worry, it's not a conspiracy to spot people using non-current mugs, lol. :rotfl2:

BrianD
08-03-2006, 03:50 PM
Yeah, a generic Summer 2006 mug is lame. I don't really care about the value of the free refills, I'm not sure I've ever gotten my money's worth out of them anyway. I would usually conveniently "forget" our old mugs anyway - hey, those things start to fade after a bunch of runs through the dishwasher. ;) I just like collecting the mugs from the different resorts, the free soda is just a bonus! :)

Hopefully, this is just a temporary situation. We'll be at BCV next month, so I'll be on the lookout!

newholidayx2
08-03-2006, 05:37 PM
I see it as being easier actually
1 mug that says Summer 2006 for our 3 linked resort stays

DisneyPhD
08-03-2006, 05:44 PM
A: this seems late in the summer to start changing the mug.
B: Other DVC only resorts do this often. OWK and VB don't have "resort only mugs" but often have seasonal ones. I think I remember SSR being this way too. I haven't bought mugs in a while since it is easier just to get pop and keep it in the room with DVC.

I think it is a ran out of the BC ones and is a temporary thing. If they changed the design I would think something different.

jcriket
08-03-2006, 08:15 PM
I think it is a ran out of the BC ones and is a temporary thing. If they changed the design I would think something different.
Most likely this is true because we bought a summer souvenier mug at MGM, this year, and we remarked how much it looked like our refillable mug from BC.

patsal
08-03-2006, 09:14 PM
Those are the same mugs that they had at MGM and a few places in MK. BC may have run out of mugs and there may have been an oversupply of the Summer 2006 mugs. It would be interesting if they did a switch over to using the summer 2006, fall2006, etc. and doing away withthe individual resort mugs. Kind of a drawback though becasue I like the resort mugs as a souvie, and wouldn't find these as appealing!

Dixie Luvr 98
08-03-2006, 09:23 PM
When we stayed at the BoardWalk Inn for the first time in '99, our mugs said "Summer of 1999" on them. It didn't signal a change then. (obviously :))

PortieOwner
08-03-2006, 11:07 PM
Does this mean I cannot bring my WL cups from 1997 along on my next trip???

Stitch1404
08-05-2006, 01:40 PM
We just got back from the Beach Club/Old Key West last night. I totally meant to take a picture of the mugs to ask here if anyone knew what was going on! But anyway, the mugs at OKW and BC were the Summer 2006 mugs. They have blue handles/lids and an orange background and Mickey on them and they say Summer 2006. We were at the Grand Floridian, Wilderness Lodge, Contemporary, Coronado Springs, Port Orleans and Caribbean Beach throughout our stay just to look around and they all still had individual resort mugs. However, Saratoga Springs, which we also visited had the Summer 06 mugs.

daisyduck123
08-05-2006, 02:26 PM
When we stayed at the BoardWalk Inn for the first time in '99, our mugs said "Summer of 1999" on them. It didn't signal a change then. (obviously :))

We have a mug that says "SUMMER 1999". It's got Mickey on a bicycle, Pluto on rollerblades, & Donald on a skateboard. (No characters on Heelys though :rotfl: ).

justplaingoofy
08-05-2006, 02:28 PM
:Pinkbounc uh..uooh...pick me... pick me.. :Pinkbounc

I have an idea!! :idea: Why doesn't Disney make a mug that is good for that current year... say bold numbers across it 2006. Then, they could put different designs on them to pick from. That way if someone has a split stay they could use it..and guests have options...

Personally, I love the mugs with the characters on them, but we are staying at Pop and I think those are REALLY ugly :rolleyes1 (just my personal opinion)

What do you guys think about this?? :confused3

Dixie Luvr 98
08-05-2006, 05:00 PM
We have a mug that says "SUMMER 1999". It's got Mickey on a bicycle, Pluto on rollerblades, & Donald on a skateboard. (No characters on Heelys though :rotfl: ).

That's what ours look like, with a purple lid and handle. Can I take that to mean Disney is encouraging bicycles, rollerblades, and skateboards on property? :rolleyes1

Minniemom97
08-07-2006, 12:30 PM
They must have ran out of the Y&BC mugs. We were there last week and on Thursday or Friday, they had the regular BC mugs back in stock. And yes, the Summer 2006 mugs were the same ones you could buy at MGM for under $5.