PDA

View Full Version : Just back from Poly - thanks to all on this site

wahoolio
08-02-2006, 08:32 PM
We just returned from a 6-night stay at the Polynesian. We had a great stay. The posters in this forum were a great resource in our planning, as was Tikiman's website. Thank you.

I had requested an upper floor room in the Samoa building when I booked through AAA back in January. We received a 2nd floor room in Samoa, overlooking the Volcano pool. Myself, DW, DS (7), DD (6) and DD (3).

I guess I don't really need to knock on wood now that we're back home, but our stay was pretty much flawless. This was our first stay at the Polynesian, and after reading some of Tikiman's (and others') comments here in recent months, I was a little bit concerned that the Poly had perhaps lost some of its luster. Perhaps we were just lucky, but we found the service to be outstanding. I'd recommend the Polynesian to anyone staying at Disney World, particularly if you have young children and you plan to spend a lot of time in the Magic Kingdom park.

BCV23
08-02-2006, 08:42 PM
Glad you had such a great stay. We love the Polynesian too and have had many wonderful vacations there.

Did you dine at Kona or 'Ohana? Did you try anything at the Snack Isle?

wahoolio
08-02-2006, 09:22 PM
A couple of other items of interest which I had not read here and I thought might be of interest:

In our room, over each of the 2 queen beds, there were 2 "tiki" lights on each side of the headboard. All 4 had dimmer switches. This was a great help to the parent who stayed in the room with our two younger children who still nap, as the "babysitting" parent could read, etc. while the kids slept.

We flew on Air Tran -- not a "participating airline" for which check-in is offered at the resort. Moreover, for our discounted tickets, you couldn't select your seats online until at most 24 hours before the scheduled departure. No problem to make sure my family of 5 sat together for our trip down to Orlando, as I simply went online at home the day before our departure. It was only the day before our departure from the Poly that I realized I wouldn't have the same opportunity for our flights home. I went to the Poly concierge desk to explain my problem, and the woman simply asked for my confirmation number. Without further explanation, she went to the Air Tran website, entered my confirmation number, chose seats on both originating and connecting flights for all 5 of us (in the same row on each flight, 5 across) and promptly printed out all 10 boarding passes for me. I gave her a "Mahalo" and I was on my way.

BCV24 -- we ate at Ohana on the evening after we arrived. It was great. I had read mixed reviews of the food, but our experience was very enjoyable. We also ate a breakfast at Kona Cafe midweek. I had booked the ADR pretty much just to try the Tonga Toast, which was ceratinly tasty but nothing to dive off a cliff for.

BCV23
08-02-2006, 09:40 PM
Dimmer switches....yippee!

The GF has those by the beds and that is one thing that I have wished the Polynesian had. Now they do!!!!

Sounds like great service from lobby concierge and with your mahalo it is obvious you've caught the magic of the Polynesian. :sunny:

wideeyes
08-03-2006, 05:37 AM
Nice to see another recomendation for the poly, we are planning to stay there next October for our first ever trip to wdw, I am really looking forward to it. :cloud9:

Tikiman
08-03-2006, 09:40 AM
Glad you had a great time. Sorry if some of my recent postings made you worry. I just report the good and the bad although many think that I never say anything bad about the Polynesian but those who really read what I post know I just try to post any facts I have. I still think it is the best resort there even though we try other resorts every time we go to WDW to see if there is one better.

I just got back from Maui and it is beautiful as ever but the Polynesian has many of the 5 star resorts on Maui beat in many ways.

Aloha

Steve

Disfan3
08-03-2006, 09:43 AM
I am so glad you had a wonderful time. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

:)

4boysmom
08-03-2006, 11:22 AM
We're staying there later this month.

Could you tell how the progress was on Tokelau? That's the bldg I reguested as 1st choice but I don't even know if it'll be open or if the renovations will be done by then. Samoa & Fiji are our 2nd & 3rd choices.

Tikiman
08-03-2006, 11:37 AM
Tokelau closed in July and is not expected to reopen until October.

Go to this link for photos of the progress from a week ago.

http://www.tikiman2001.homestead.com/poly2_55.html

Aloha

Steve

4boysmom
08-03-2006, 11:45 AM
Tikiman,

Thanks so much for your quick response. Of all the times I've visited your site I've never clicked on the "new in 2006" link! I don't know why!

Now to figure out which I prefer ... Samoa seems very nicely situated between the 2 pools (we have 4 children ages 2-13). But the marina-view of Fiji seems interesting too. Oh, what torture it is making these decisions!!

PhilliesFan
08-03-2006, 11:51 AM
We were also just at the Polynesian in July for one week. We stayed in Tahiti building. We didn't have a new room, but I loved the location. There were 10 of us and we had connecting first floor rooms (8 adults and 2 teens). This was our fourth trip to the Polynesian and it just gets better with age; we had no complaints and will definitely go back to the Polynesian next time.

Tikiman
08-03-2006, 11:53 AM
Tikiman,

Thanks so much for your quick response. Of all the times I've visited your site I've never clicked on the "new in 2006" link! I don't know why!

Now to figure out which I prefer ... Samoa seems very nicely situated between the 2 pools (we have 4 children ages 2-13). But the marina-view of Fiji seems interesting too. Oh, what torture it is making these decisions!!

Fiji does have great views but (my opinion only) the view is not worth the walk around the marina to me. When I stayed in Tuvalu I hated to walk around that every time I wanted to jump in the pool or go to the boat launch for the MK. Also I feel with Tokelau closed that Samoa and Rarotonga give you the best location to the pools, beach, Captain Cook’s, the GCH and the bus stop. Again it is just how I feel and there are many that would say Fiji is the best or “No ka oi”

One last thing to keep in mind is that Fiji will have its rooms worked on at some point to have the new headboards and lighting put in. They will do a few rooms at a time so there could be things going on in the rooms areound you.

Aloha

Steve

laughingmama
08-03-2006, 01:24 PM
We flew on Air Tran -- not a "participating airline" for which check-in is offered at the resort.

we're flying Airtran and staying at the Poly -- can you explain this to me? does it mean we don't get Magical express? that they can't take our bags to our room?

wahoolio
08-03-2006, 08:29 PM
we're flying Airtran and staying at the Poly -- can you explain this to me? does it mean we don't get Magical express? that they can't take our bags to our room?

laughingmama -- sorry, I didn't mean to confuse you. It's my understanding that you have access to the Magical Express regardless of the airline you fly, so long as you're staying at a Disney resort. So yes, you'll have the same access we did to ME if you're flying AirTran. And yes, they'll take the bags to your room.

A number of airlines also have an arrangement with Disney where you can check in and get your boarding passes for your return flight home at your resort. This is a service separate from ME. What I was saying was that even though AirTran does not have this arrangement with Disney, the concierge staff at the Poly was so helpful that I essentially got the benefit of the "resort check-in" service, anyway.

Check out the sticky threads posted at the top of the Transportation forum on this site for great summary of information and FAQ re: ME.

JerseyGirl114
08-03-2006, 10:19 PM
This is for all those who were lucky enough to go on your vacation already!

Was the on-going construction/rehab an eyesore? How about the noise? Did it effect you in any way? After seeing Tikiman's pic of the bulldozer on site I couldn't help but ask.

Also - Tikiman - thanks for posting a pic of the seating area at the temporary CC. Love your site too! (And also your travel agent - Lisa is AWESOME!!!) :cheer2:

Tikiman
08-04-2006, 08:56 AM
This is for all those who were lucky enough to go on your vacation already!

Was the on-going construction/rehab an eyesore? How about the noise? Did it effect you in any way? After seeing Tikiman's pic of the bulldozer on site I couldn't help but ask.

Also - Tikiman - thanks for posting a pic of the seating area at the temporary CC. Love your site too! (And also your travel agent - Lisa is AWESOME!!!) :cheer2:

Glad you like the site. I think the heavy equipment is to get to the upper floors for doing the sliding glass doors and the new outside railings. Hopefully when they are done with that there will be no equipment outside. When they are working on the rooms inside you can hardly tell anything is going on.

Yeah Lisa is great. That is why I use her and recommend her. There are many great travel planners out there.