PDA

View Full Version : AAA discount questions... how to book

GoinToDisney
08-02-2006, 06:01 PM
I thought I'd ask you budget inded folks how to go about booking my trip, since you probably know the best deals and know about the extra fees. We are going nov 28 to dec 4 and want to stay at PopC or All Star Mov.

I just signed up for AAA (South Jersey), and I tried to book online, but the site for anything related to Disney info is not responding. So I was thinking I would call AAA and book by phone, but then I heard there is a fee for using this service. Is that true? Also that these agents aren't always very good, so who do you call?

Also we would like to book hotel, hopper tix and dining if there is a discount on everything, but just hotel if the discount is only applied to the hotel. Does anyone know how these discounts work?

Is there financing through AAA or do you pay with a credit card? I also signed up for Disney Visa and am waiting on my card. Ideally, I would like to pay with it, but I am afraid to wait to book it.

Srry, I know this is long and rambling. Any help would be greatly appreciated, as this is all new to me.

Fire14
08-02-2006, 06:05 PM
I have no idea on pkgs. But for a room only ressie you can call WDW direct and book a room only AAA rate if it's aval. Have AAA card handy and they asked me for number.

GoinToDisney
08-02-2006, 08:55 PM
Anyone else?

Kaa
08-02-2006, 09:03 PM
The packages with the AAA discount have to be booked through AAA Travel. As Fire14 advised, you can book the room-only reservation directly through Disney (or with any travel agent) with your AAA member number.

maddhatir
08-02-2006, 09:58 PM
I thought I'd ask you budget inded folks how to go about booking my trip, since you probably know the best deals and know about the extra fees. We are going nov 28 to dec 4 and want to stay at PopC or All Star Mov.

I just signed up for AAA (South Jersey), and I tried to book online, but the site for anything related to Disney info is not responding. So I was thinking I would call AAA and book by phone, but then I heard there is a fee for using this service. Is that true? Also that these agents aren't always very good, so who do you call?

Also we would like to book hotel, hopper tix and dining if there is a discount on everything, but just hotel if the discount is only applied to the hotel. Does anyone know how these discounts work?

Is there financing through AAA or do you pay with a credit card? I also signed up for Disney Visa and am waiting on my card. Ideally, I would like to pay with it, but I am afraid to wait to book it.

Srry, I know this is long and rambling. Any help would be greatly appreciated, as this is all new to me.

SJ AAA member here! :banana:

i used to book my own disney vacations (yes- i am anal) BUT this year i decided to book w/ AAA to get the discount.

months ago i went to AAA- just to sit down w/ the TA (had to be face to face...the type A in me) told her EXACTLY what i wanted. (resort, hopper for 8 days, and the dining plan- which was NOT free when i booked) i was already armed with exactly everything i wanted- i went onto the disney site and went thru the motions of booking a pkg- and printed out the price (but did not go as far as to book w/ disney- just got the price for comparison)

when you book a pgk w/ AAA- your room is the only thing that is discounted- your entire pkg is not.

there is no charge to use a AAA TA- only your membership.

i did have to make sure i called my TA when i heard about free dining. she would not have just done that for me. she has to add that to my ressies, not a big deal.

so- i am not really saving that much (about 100.00) booking thru AAA w/ free dining, but oh well. its always good to go with the best price. 100.00 bucks is a 100.00 bucks.

i went to the voorhees office.

GoinToDisney
08-02-2006, 11:08 PM
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! This is exactly the info I needed!!! I am anal too, and I always do everything myself, spending hours on the computer with thousands of notes comparing every price I can. I just want to be as prepared as possible when I talk to the TA.

I am about 5 minutes form Voorhees, so I think I will have to just go in person, and make sure the TA is doing everything right! :thumbsup2 Plus I am a visual person, so it is better than just hearing #'s over the phone. Thanks again!!

my3kids
08-03-2006, 06:47 AM
For room only I have always called AAA directly. The AAA rate rooms go fairly quickly so always try to ask for it as soon as you know you are going. If you want a AAA package where the room is at the discounted rate bt other things are the same price as Disney you need to call the AAA travel place or book online if it is working. I booked a package for DL with an agent and she has been very efficient. I'v had to call her back a few times and she is always good.

maddhatir
08-03-2006, 08:37 AM
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! This is exactly the info I needed!!! I am anal too, and I always do everything myself, spending hours on the computer with thousands of notes comparing every price I can. I just want to be as prepared as possible when I talk to the TA.

I am about 5 minutes form Voorhees, so I think I will have to just go in person, and make sure the TA is doing everything right! :thumbsup2 Plus I am a visual person, so it is better than just hearing #'s over the phone. Thanks again!!

good luck! let us know how you make out! :goodvibes

i am in marlton- if you dont mind me asking- what town do you live in?

GoinToDisney
08-03-2006, 09:31 AM
I'm in Stratford. I'll let you know how it goes! :)

Lewisc
08-03-2006, 10:44 AM
You don't have to book through your local AAA TA. ASK. Some offices charge fees and/or have extra cancellation charges. Others have the exact same terms as if you booked directly with Disney.

I Love Pluto
08-03-2006, 12:45 PM
We just came back from WDW 2 weeks ago. Our entire trip was arranged by a TA from AAA. Everything was as promised. She was GREAT! :cheer2:

So - no problems with AAA here. And yes - things were a few hundred cheaper than if I had not booked the package. AAA - I will use them again and again. :cool1:

princesspumpkin
08-03-2006, 12:50 PM
I'm in Stratford. I'll let you know how it goes! :)

Hi Stratford, Erial here! :wave2: I have used Voorhees AAA myself! I've also booked online at AAASJ. No problem either way.

marshallandcartersmo
08-03-2006, 01:18 PM
Hope you don't mind me asking a little OT question............is it worth it to get AAA just to get the WDW discount? We are a family of 4 (2 DS's under 6), don't really need AAA as I have roadside assistance through my car, but if it would save me big bucks I could just buy AAA to get the discount. How much is AAA a year vs. how much the discount would be? thanks!

GoinToDisney
08-03-2006, 02:42 PM
Okay, I just called the hotline and booked over the phone. Dh talked me into it because we are going out of town today and I really wanted to book asap. I saved $125 not counting whatever taxes would be added to the disney price. This was on a value hotel. I got room, hopper tix, and dining for Nov. 28 through Dec 4!!! I am so excited. :cool1: :cheer2:

We only got our membership for the discount and it cost $56, so still a savings. Plus there are tons of other discounts.

Ok I am leaving for a few days. Thanks to al who helped!

maddhatir
08-03-2006, 02:48 PM
Okay, I just called the hotline and booked over the phone. Dh talked me into it because we are going out of town today and I really wanted to book asap. I saved $125 not counting whatever taxes would be added to the disney price. This was on a value hotel. I got room, hopper tix, and dining for Nov. 28 through Dec 4!!! I am so excited. :cool1: :cheer2:

We only got our membership for the discount and it cost $56, so still a savings. Plus there are tons of other discounts.

Ok I am leaving for a few days. Thanks to al who helped!

yay!
:wave2:

dd316
08-03-2006, 02:53 PM
I'm in Lindenwold, nice to see all the locals. :thumbsup2

I booked my rooms (DW and I are going with my in-laws, separate rooms) through Disney. They gave me the AAA discount price and just said to make sure I bring my AAA card when I check in. We're staying at POP and between both rooms we're saving almost $250! I signed up for AAA mainly for this discount and it's more than paying for itself already!

One thing I did notice in the Florida book I ordered through them, I saw a little blurb about a AAA member rest area in Disneyworld and getting special food coupons and such. Does anyone know if you have to book your vacation through AAA or is this available to any AAA member? I'll probably end up calling to see what they say, it wasn't specified in the book.

AAA = :sunny:

MarySB
11-01-2006, 08:01 PM
Be careful re AAA "Discount Rates". I reserved a room last March for the 20% off rooms from Dec.4-9. I went in yesterday to convert it to a package at the "AAA Discount Rate" and it came out to $200 MORE than on the Disney website. Same date, same tickets, same dining plan. I called them today and got a major runaround. The TA I worked with said she "didn't know why" it was more and that I was the THIRD client who had had that difficulty. If that was the case. you would think THEY would find out WHY. But all they care about is getting their commission. When I really pressed them for the reason, they said I was getting some "perks" like free parking (can't use it because we are using Disney Transportation) and discounts on meals (can't use it because we are on the dining plan---which THEY sold me!) I now have a complaint lodged with the BBB. Don't make the same mistake I did in believing that a AAA Discount Rate means you are actually getting a discount. You're not!

BethR
11-01-2006, 08:20 PM
Mary, I know that you are very upset about what has happened to you since you have bumped up a number of old AAAs threads with this information.

Unfortunately something was wrong the pricing that you got from your AAA. That does not mean that anyone who books through AAA does not get a discount. That is simply not true.

I hope that you get your problem resolved to your satisfaction.

DarlingDumbo
11-06-2006, 06:15 PM
Thanks Mod I was about to say the same thing.