PDA

View Full Version : Just back from Pop! Any questions?

*NikkiBell*
08-02-2006, 09:10 AM
I just spent a week at Pop. If you have any questions, please let me know! :thumbsup2

LadyOmega
08-02-2006, 10:32 AM
Hi NikkiBell,
Yup I have a question. We are trying to decide whether to use the buses or drive around to the parks on our trip in Oct. So, if you used the bus service, could you tell me how long it took you to get to the major parks? I really would like to know how long it took to get to MK. Thanks if your able to answer this!!

*NikkiBell*
08-02-2006, 10:44 AM
The buses were fantastic. I prefer using Disney transportation over driving so we don't have to deal with the parking lots, trams, long walks to the car, etc.

It took 13 - 15 minutes to get to MK as that is the farthest away. MGM and Epcot took 10 minutes and under.

hercamore
08-02-2006, 10:54 AM
Did you eat in the food court? What did you like?

herc.

*NikkiBell*
08-02-2006, 11:11 AM
The food court is decent. They have different things including pasta, burgers, hot dogs, cheese fries, baked goods (including tie-dyed cheesecake for the 1960's!), and even lo meins.

ILVPOOH
08-02-2006, 11:55 AM
Hi NikkiBell,

We are going the last week in August. Is there any shade (umbrellas) by the pool?

Also how is the parking lot. We have a large SUV that we like to park away from other cars. Were all the spots filled up, or will we be able to find some empty spots way in the back. I think most people try to park closer.

Thanks!

KimWDW
08-02-2006, 12:11 PM
What building were you in? What did you like/dislike about the building/location? Did you request that building? Did you get what you requested?

Thanks. :)

natenapril
08-02-2006, 12:19 PM
How far were you from the main building?
Was it easy for your kids (if you have any) walking to and from your building?
How was the shopping @ POP(ie Tshirts for the kiddos etc)?
Did you like your room?
Was there an area or building you would reccommend over the another?
Would you stay there again?

Hoping to stay there next year!!!!! :banana:

LadyOmega
08-02-2006, 12:21 PM
The buses were fantastic. I prefer using Disney transportation over driving so we don't have to deal with the parking lots, trams, long walks to the car, etc.

It took 13 - 15 minutes to get to MK as that is the farthest away. MGM and Epcot took 10 minutes and under.

Thanks Nikki!! I agree, I've always preferred the bus/monorail service as well, but as this is the first time we've stayed at a value resort, the bus horror stories started to scare me!! You've made me feel a bit better. :cloud9:

ZPT1022
08-02-2006, 12:44 PM
Hi NikkiBell,

We are going the last week in August. Is there any shade (umbrellas) by the pool?

Also how is the parking lot. We have a large SUV that we like to park away from other cars. Were all the spots filled up, or will we be able to find some empty spots way in the back. I think most people try to park closer.

Thanks!

I'm not NikkiBell but when we were there last year there were some spots way at the end- I wouldn't count on being close by or anything but you should be okay. There was one person last year who did the whole I'll park in the middle of two spots so no one will be near my car thing. We walked by and DH made a comment, and funny enough we kept hearing people walk by and make comments about it. Oh and you'll be there the same time we will-it's getting close!! We're getting so antsy about it- how about you?

Becky

ZPT1022
08-02-2006, 12:55 PM
Hi NikkiBell,
Yup I have a question. We are trying to decide whether to use the buses or drive around to the parks on our trip in Oct. So, if you used the bus service, could you tell me how long it took you to get to the major parks? I really would like to know how long it took to get to MK. Thanks if your able to answer this!!
I'm not NikkiBell, but I wanted to throw this out there- we've always been huge fans of WDW transportation in the past, when it was just DH and I and then when it was just DH,myself and DD. Now that there are five of us, and we need two strollers, a diaper bag, and a partride in a pear tree (just about!) plus wrangle three kids, last year for the first time we found it to be easier to take our car to the parks. We had driven down so our car was right there and it was easy though. This year the twins will be two and DD will be five so I don't know- we may try the bus once or twice but holding a stroller on a bus stinks. It also stunk for the person stuck holding the twins. I guess take your party into consideration is what I'm trying to say. OH, and it was nice to be able to drive to another resort- say to just drive to Wilderness Lodge for dinner and not have to do the whole shuffle of bus to MK then wait and get another bus or boat. Just to keep that in mind if you do have a car with you. We love Pop though! DH and oldest DD didn't want to go anywhere else this trip!!!!

LadyOmega
08-02-2006, 01:08 PM
I'm not NikkiBell, but I wanted to throw this out there- we've always been huge fans of WDW transportation in the past, when it was just DH and I and then when it was just DH,myself and DD. Now that there are five of us, and we need two strollers, a diaper bag, and a partride in a pear tree (just about!) plus wrangle three kids, last year for the first time we found it to be easier to take our car to the parks. We had driven down so our car was right there and it was easy though. This year the twins will be two and DD will be five so I don't know- we may try the bus once or twice but holding a stroller on a bus stinks. It also stunk for the person stuck holding the twins. I guess take your party into consideration is what I'm trying to say. OH, and it was nice to be able to drive to another resort- say to just drive to Wilderness Lodge for dinner and not have to do the whole shuffle of bus to MK then wait and get another bus or boat. Just to keep that in mind if you do have a car with you. We love Pop though! DH and oldest DD didn't want to go anywhere else this trip!!!!

Thanks for the advice. We always prefer WDW transportation, but I just didn't know how long it took from POP, since we've never stayed there. Time was my main concern, and we will have 4 adults and 1 teen, so luckily we don't have to worry about the kiddy stuff. :thumbsup2

ILVPOOH
08-02-2006, 01:10 PM
I'm not NikkiBell but when we were there last year there were some spots way at the end- I wouldn't count on being close by or anything but you should be okay. There was one person last year who did the whole I'll park in the middle of two spots so no one will be near my car thing. We walked by and DH made a comment, and funny enough we kept hearing people walk by and make comments about it. Oh and you'll be there the same time we will-it's getting close!! We're getting so antsy about it- how about you?

Becky
We are very excited about going (FREE DINING!). We also don't like it when someone takes up 2 parking spots. Normally my husband will drop us off and then he parks as far away as he can so that he doesn't get any dings. We like using Disney transportation. After driving from NJ, we don't feel like driving around while on vacation. I'm a little concerned about the heat, but we will just take it easy and make sure to swim every afternoon. See you by the pool! :wave:

bluejasmine
08-02-2006, 01:16 PM
I know you said the buses were great but how were they timely as far as did you have to wait a good while for a bus to come to the parks to pick you up? Ive heard horror stories about the POP buses taking forever to pick you up..I hope those were exceptions..lol

Stitch's Greatest Fa
08-02-2006, 03:27 PM
We stayed at POr last year and whilst we always seemed to wait for buses, there seemed to be Pop buses about every 5 minutes.

TenThousandVolts
08-02-2006, 03:34 PM
sounds great- thanks for the info-
what is the best section

*NikkiBell*
08-02-2006, 03:49 PM
Hi NikkiBell,

Thanks!

There are no umbrellas by the pool, but the sun shifts during the day and there are plenty of nice areas. I prefer the bowling pin pool in the 1950's section over the main pool (Hippy Dippy Pool) because it is longer and quieter.

The parking lot is very large so you should not have a problem.

*NikkiBell*
08-02-2006, 03:52 PM
What building were you in? What did you like/dislike about the building/location? Did you request that building? Did you get what you requested?

Thanks. :)

I have stayed at Pop twice before - once this past week and also in 2004. This time I was in the 1970's section as I requested a building close to the main building. It was okay, but I much rather be in the 1950's section. It was much closer there when I stayed in Building A of the 1950's in 2004. The 1950's section also has its own pool which is a plus.

*NikkiBell*
08-02-2006, 03:58 PM
How far were you from the main building?
Was it easy for your kids (if you have any) walking to and from your building?
How was the shopping @ POP(ie Tshirts for the kiddos etc)?
Did you like your room?
Was there an area or building you would reccommend over the another?
Would you stay there again?

Hoping to stay there next year!!!!! :banana:

I was about 2-3 minutes from the main building, in the 1970's section. Getting there was easy. :)

I loved the shop at Pop. It is quite large and has everything you could ever imagine from t-shirts to pins to sunglasses to toys.

I liked my room, but would prefer the 1950's section. It felt homier to me there when I stayed in it during our 2004 trip. It also has its own pool in the shape of a bowling pin and Lady and the Tramp as icons. All rooms have two queen beds or one king. There is also a small square table and two chairs, television in an armoir (with shelves and drawers), a nightstand, vanity area, and bathroom with tub/shower and toilet. The rooms are very comfortable and if I was staying at a value, I'd stay there over the All-Stars in a heartbeat.

GaDisneyFan
08-02-2006, 04:02 PM
Hello..I have stayed at POP several times and we are leaving tonight to go back and be there through August 8...I usually swim in the Bowling pool and as far as I can remember there are tables with umbrellas by the pool and a few by the Hippy Dippy pool but the chaise lounges do not have umbrellas over them..but if you don't mind sitting up in a chair then shade is available...Have fun everyone:)

*NikkiBell*
08-02-2006, 04:03 PM
I know you said the buses were great but how were they timely as far as did you have to wait a good while for a bus to come to the parks to pick you up? Ive heard horror stories about the POP buses taking forever to pick you up..I hope those were exceptions..lol

Everytime I went to a Pop bus stop there was a bus already there or just pulling in except for one time. This one time was on the way back from Magic Kingdom and I waited about 5 minutes for a bus. It was great! :)

ZPT1022
08-02-2006, 10:40 PM
Thanks for the advice. We always prefer WDW transportation, but I just didn't know how long it took from POP, since we've never stayed there. Time was my main concern, and we will have 4 adults and 1 teen, so luckily we don't have to worry about the kiddy stuff. :thumbsup2

You should be good to go then!! We didn't have any problems with the busses themselves, and actually a very nice man, who didn't even speak English (too bad, I wanted him to know how much it meant to me) gave up his seat to me AND he held BOTH of my strollers so I could sit down and help DH with the kids. How nice is that? I kind of wanted to hug him but didn't want to freak him out :p

BlindTyldak
08-02-2006, 10:43 PM
We've heard a lot about the turbo toilets there, are they really loud enough to wake the dead, are they just annoying if you can't sleep, or were they not an issue at all? Thanks in advance. :)

ZPT1022
08-02-2006, 10:48 PM
We are very excited about going (FREE DINING!). We also don't like it when someone takes up 2 parking spots. Normally my husband will drop us off and then he parks as far away as he can so that he doesn't get any dings. We like using Disney transportation. After driving from NJ, we don't feel like driving around while on vacation. I'm a little concerned about the heat, but we will just take it easy and make sure to swim every afternoon. See you by the pool! :wave:
We lucked into the free dining too! Can't beat that! I'll gladly give up my small AAA discount to get free dining for three people (the twins are two and don't get to be on the dining plan :sad2: ) I hear you on the dings on the car- we live in a condo and our neighbors are brutal. WDW is nothing by comparison. ;) I hear you on the driving thing, we're driving from CT :scared1: I think I may be prematurely gray by the time we get there. As to the heat- are you having the same heat wave we are this week? 104 but with a feels like temp. of 110 + :crazy2: We've decided to consider it good practice for WDW in August! Maybe we'll see you there- look for a tall Dad, an average Mom, and three crazy kids. LOL :wave:

letsgoagainsoon
08-02-2006, 10:57 PM
We've heard a lot about the turbo toilets there, are they really loud enough to wake the dead, are they just annoying if you can't sleep, or were they not an issue at all? Thanks in advance. :)
I had heard about these too, but when we were there last year I never heard a toilet flush. Maybe we were just asleep as soon as we hit the pillows... :teeth:

ILVPOOH
08-03-2006, 06:55 AM
We lucked into the free dining too! Can't beat that! I'll gladly give up my small AAA discount to get free dining for three people (the twins are two and don't get to be on the dining plan :sad2: ) I hear you on the dings on the car- we live in a condo and our neighbors are brutal. WDW is nothing by comparison. ;) I hear you on the driving thing, we're driving from CT :scared1: I think I may be prematurely gray by the time we get there. As to the heat- are you having the same heat wave we are this week? 104 but with a feels like temp. of 110 + :crazy2: We've decided to consider it good practice for WDW in August! Maybe we'll see you there- look for a tall Dad, an average Mom, and three crazy kids. LOL :wave:
We also are having a heat wave this week in NJ. Temps are real high. I see that you have twins too. I have twin boys, age 9. Driving isn't too bad with the children. Do you have a DVD player in your car? That kept the children entertained. Although at 2 years old I don't think my kids watched movies. have fun! :cool1:

winterman
08-03-2006, 07:17 AM
All rooms have two queen beds or one king. There is also a small square table and two chairs, television in an armoir (with shelves and drawers), a nightstand, vanity area, and bathroom with tub/shower and toilet. The rooms are very comfortable and if I was staying at a value, I'd stay there over the All-Stars in a heartbeat.

The rooms do not have queen sized beds, they are full sized.

:cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

Wigit12
08-03-2006, 08:00 AM
Are there hair dryers in the rooms?

Carol1973
08-03-2006, 08:09 AM
Are there hair dryers in the rooms?

Yes, there are hair dryers. I just went back and looked at a picture from my room last September to be sure.

Tracey1974
08-03-2006, 08:11 AM
We are thinking of staying there pre and post cruise in Dec for a few days- which building(s) or sections are easiest to get to the busses and food court without being a preferred room?

Wigit12
08-03-2006, 08:18 AM
Yes, there are hair dryers. I just went back and looked at a picture from my room last September to be sure.

Thanks!!
I couldn't find listed anywhere and had never stayed in a value before.
This is one thing a girl has got to know!!

DonnaW
08-03-2006, 08:52 AM
:wave: We stayed at POP for 8 nites last May, and had a great time! We had our own car, and had no problems with parking in the lots at the resort. We did use Disney transportation the majority of the time, again, with no real issues. We were in the 70's section, in the building with the big wheel, and thought it was a super location, as far as being close to the bus stop, main building, pool area, parking area, etc. Loved the gift shop, food court, pools and most especially, the lake at POP. The walls *are* thin, so we brought a white noise machine, which really helped quite a bit. In my opinion, and I have stayed at All Star Movies and All Star Music, the other value resorts just can't compare to POP! For more details, and some pix, too, see my trip report link! Have a wonderful vacation...I'm jealous of anyone heading there soon!!!! :cool1:

*NikkiBell*
08-03-2006, 09:20 AM
Yes, there are hair dryers and I truly thought they were queen sized beds; they sure do appear that way. In any event, you'll know that they are semi-large beds that can hold two people if need be.

I prefer the 1950's section over the 1970's and I have stayed in both. The 1950's section has more of a community feel as it is more closed off from the other sections and surrounds its own pool. We stayed in Building A of this section and it was a 2 minute walk to the main building where the buses are, etc.

dawna_521
08-03-2006, 11:05 AM
Is there a clothesline type thing in the rooms to hang up wet clothes/towels/bathing suits? If so, how much can you hang on it and do you think I should bring a length of rope with me to hang up more stuff. If I do bring some more rope, is there someplace I could string it? TIA

ZPT1022
08-03-2006, 12:06 PM
We also are having a heat wave this week in NJ. Temps are real high. I see that you have twins too. I have twin boys, age 9. Driving isn't too bad with the children. Do you have a DVD player in your car? That kept the children entertained. Although at 2 years old I don't think my kids watched movies. have fun! :cool1:

Neat to find another twin mom! We drove last year, when the kids were 4, 14 months and 14 months, and yet again we stayed at Pop. We made it in one piece. We drove straight through, which is probably the worst part of it. We'll drive straight through on the way down this time, and we do have the option to stop overnight on the way home if we need or want to. We don't have the DVD player in hand yet but we convinced MIL that that was what all three kids wanted as a combo birthday gift. We drive to Rochester, NY to visit family a few times a year so it will be nice to have for that too. The five year old will definitely watch, and the twins might just because there isn't much else to do. We bought a few new movies for them that we're hiding in the vacation box, and they don't get to see them until we're on our way. Hopefully it will help.

4chitlins
08-03-2006, 05:16 PM
We are having the heat wave too and it's brutal.I also have 9 year old twins. We are going to be staying at Pop Sept 30-Oct.9 Just reading all this info is such a huge help.
Thank goodness we are not driving though cause I doubt we would all make it without killing each other

*NikkiBell*
08-03-2006, 11:09 PM
There is room out on the balcony in front of your room to hang things which many people do along with using the arm of the tub or shower curtain pole. I wouldn't bring any string if I were you.

disneyde
08-04-2006, 12:02 AM
We've been having a heat wave here too. I took my two girls to the zoo wed. in the MIDDLE of the day to practice for florida....I figure the middle of the day here has to be worse than morning and evening at WDW.....I think we held up pretty well.. I used an older model mac double which I got off ebay a few years ago... it doesn't fold like an umbrella but it holds the combined weight of my two girls well....and I was suprised that even with the option to ride my 5 year old walked which was good.......the three year old fell asleep in the car and first time every she fought me when I carried her into the house.....since she was struggling I just laid her on the kitchen floor on top of a beach towel and she was back to sleep instantly......slept for an hour or better.....if we hadn't needed to get home I'm sure she would have slept in the stroller....she had had a really early day.......so, I'm thinking that was pretty good practice....although our zoo is no AK...LOL... :rotfl: .

hamlet35_2000
08-04-2006, 12:16 AM

We just got back, and we had a car with us, and we used it most of the time unless we were going to the MK. The only time we had problems with the POP busses was at the MK where there was a line that I did not want to get into. The good thing though was that they kept bringing buses to get the line down, and sometimes loading two at once...but it still took I think 6 buses before I would get into the line and battle for seats...so the lines at park closing can be long, but they tend to bring more buses quickly.

As a comparision, when we stayed at the Wilderness Lodge for the last part of our trip, we never used our car, and never waited for than five minutes for a bus going to a park or coming from a park...

hamlet35_2000
08-04-2006, 12:20 AM
There are no umbrellas by the pool, but the sun shifts during the day and there are plenty of nice areas. I prefer the bowling pin pool in the 1950's section over the main pool (Hippy Dippy Pool) because it is longer and quieter.

The parking lot is very large so you should not have a problem.

I agree with NikkiBell that parking was never a problem, but I do have to disagree about the quietness of the pool...the only time I ever saw that pool was quiet was at 7:00 in the morning or when they closed it for the a ligtning storm...otherwise it was like a scene from Beach Blanket Bingo at the pool.

hamlet35_2000
08-04-2006, 12:23 AM

They are loud. My boyfriend got used to them, but they would wake me up occassionaly in the middle of the night. More annoying than anything, but enough to make me never stay there again.

DISUNC
08-04-2006, 05:11 AM
I too just got back from a 10 day stay at the POP! Too bad I missed you Nikkibell.

We were in the 50's first floor poolside, near the Lady icon.

I stayed at the POP 3 times. We really like it there.

It all depends on which room you get. Some rooms I heard the toilets flush...some rooms Nothing. Some rooms the A/C works much better than others. You can also tell this by which windows have condensation & which don't. My room was set a 68...BUT it was more like 74! Our Entermanns doughnuts melted. They wouldn't melt if it was really 68. We had a fan to for white noise & blow the air around. We were right on the first floor poolside this time and WW3 could have broke out & we didn't hear a thing, at any time. This room was VERY QUIET!

All rooms do have Hair Dryers...albeit thay are NOT to Powerful.

I rented a SUV this time (went to off property a few days) and it was tough parking between the lines at the POP. There is parking but the spaces are rather small. Had to squeeze in if some car was next too mine. BE CAREFUL OPENING THE DOORS!

All the Pools have tables with Umbrellas!

ILVPOOH
08-04-2006, 05:51 AM
DISUNC,

You said that the parking spots are small. I thought they would be. Was the lot usually filled up, or were there some empty spots far away in the back lots that we can park the truck away from other cars?

DISUNC
08-04-2006, 06:14 AM
DISUNC,

You said that the parking spots are small. I thought they would be. Was the lot usually filled up, or were there some empty spots far away in the back lots that we can park the truck away from other cars?

Never had a problem finding a spot close by. Did alot of EMH at nights too...got back at 2:30am. There were empty spots father away, if you want to keep your car "scratch proof'

britt54311
08-04-2006, 11:04 AM
subscribing

michellelovesthemous
08-10-2006, 03:41 PM
I keep hearing about it and I'm wondering what it is and if it's really good as it sounds like something my pizza eating DD8 will loooooove!!! :goodvibes

*NikkiBell*
08-15-2006, 05:47 PM
You also have to keep in mind what your expectations are for where you are staying. Pop Century is a VALUE resort, so you can't expect luxurious amenities and 100% quiet surroundings. It attracts a large group of families with children.

We never had trouble with the pools although we did go most of the time after dinner or after the parks closed.

winterman
08-16-2006, 01:47 PM
Is there a clothesline type thing in the rooms to hang up wet clothes/towels/bathing suits? If so, how much can you hang on it and do you think I should bring a length of rope with me to hang up more stuff. If I do bring some more rope, is there someplace I could string it? TIA

I'm quite sure that I remember a clothes line in the tub. Its the kind that you pull out and hook on the other end of the tub. I put things there till they stop dripping and then hang them in the closet area.

:cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

jjarman
08-16-2006, 02:22 PM
We stayed at Pop 2 years ago and are staying there again March, 2007. I had heard before our last trip that there is a "governor" on the AC that will only allow you to set it so low. I know it is March butwe like it cool at night. I got maintenance to set the thermostat lower for us but wondered if you still have to do this.