PDA

View Full Version : Any other Curves for women members here?

Pages : [1] 2

cherylp3
11-02-2001, 04:54 PM
I joined curves for women 2 months ago. I love it. Anyone else a curves member?

Cheryl

holycow
11-02-2001, 07:44 PM
could you explain please?

Holycow

cherylp3
11-03-2001, 07:45 AM
Its a 30 minute work out - there are alternating machines and "recovery" boards which you march on. You change stations ( I think its every 38 seconds ) and go around 3 times.

Their website is www.curvesforwomen.com

Cheryl

danacara
11-03-2001, 11:01 PM
I joined this summer while I was at home. We don't have one nearby while I'm at school. I absolutely LOVED it. I found that I lost markedly more weight when I went to Curves and also walked for a half hour at night. Something about that combination just worked like magic for me. Good luck Cheryl!

danicaw
11-08-2001, 12:42 PM
I have seen then in a local strip mall but it seems so small. I didnt think about them again until now.

So, its a 30 minute workout on a series of machines? Do you go through once or 3 times? Am I confused. Sounds like something I should look into.

Mrs. Potato Head
11-09-2001, 10:10 AM
They are opening one right by my house (I can walk there in about 2 minutes). They open on Monday. It looks very interesting. I am trying to get membership information. I really will consider joining! I have a Golds Gym membership, but this looks so much more personal. Does anyone know about what membership costs, how often you can go, etc.?

danicaw
11-09-2001, 10:28 AM
I called about info. for the Curves in my area.
Its $75 (one time fee) and then $30 a month.
I got the impression thats good for up to 5 - 30 minute workouts a week.

I will be getting more information this afternoon.

Mrs. Potato Head
11-09-2001, 10:40 AM
Thanks Danicaw!
That sound quite reasonable. I have a call in to them, I wish they would call me back soon. I think they must be quite busy getting ready for their opening on Monday.

cherylp3
11-09-2001, 10:49 AM
The curves by me is open Mon-Sat I can go once a day for a 30 minute workout , it is recommended that you go at least 3 times a week.

The workout is 30 minutes long, you go though a circle or loop of machines and recovery boards 3 times. You start slow and cool off slow and finish by stretching.
For more info go to:
http://www.curvesforwomen.com/category.cfm/3

I hope this helps
Cheryl

danicaw
11-09-2001, 11:05 AM
Thanks for more information Cheryl.
I am supposed to go in today for a workout to see if I like it.
And to talk about the program, goals, etc.

They are running a special right now that is no monthly dues through the end of the year.
I asked if there are times when they are busy and you have to wait a while she said the way they have it set up that doesn't happen. If thats is true it sounds good.

Thanks again.

Mrs. Potato Head
11-11-2001, 06:31 PM
I finally talked to someone on Saturday. The pricing, etc. is exactly the same here as what Cheryl posted. The only difference is that ours is not open on Saturdays.

I asked the same question as Danicaw, about having to wait. She told me the same thing, about how it is set up. I don't quite understand that, but I will have to see it. I am going Wednesday afternoon for a trial visit, etc. I will let you know what happens!

danicaw
11-12-2001, 12:13 PM
It was cool.
I got a great workout.

The staff member went through all 3 laps with me and I really enjoyed it.
I talked with hubby over the weekend and I am going to join.

I hope to go tonight after work, sign up and exercise.
It went by quickly. We will see how it goes on my own.

Mrs. Potato Head I hope you enjoy your workout on Wed.
I filled out a medical history form, weighed in, they took my measurements.
We set some goals. They weigh you once a month and take your measurements.

There is a lady from who is a member who lost 80 lbs. She is there big "loser" (get it? it took me a minute:) ) and they have only been open since January.

Let us know what you think about the workout.

Mrs. Potato Head
11-15-2001, 08:03 AM
Well, I went yesterday and I joined! The particulars were exactly as described earlier. I went with a friend and she joined as well. The took our weight, measurements and body fat count (scary!), and gave us a goal to work towards. They will redo all of the above once a month to track progress. We can weigh ourselves as often as we choose.

We were so anxious to start we asked if we could have a first workout while we were still there. (You have to have an appointment for your first workout only). She fit us in!

It really was challanging! A lot of fun! The entire workout took exactly 30 minutes, then we stretched for about 5-7 minutes, and we were out of there!

You will find me at Curves every M-W-F morning! I am looking forward to wonderful results!

danicaw
11-15-2001, 10:26 AM
Congrats Mrs Potato Head.

I joined this week, and have been twice so far, not including my first intro workout, last week.
I plan to go again today and maybe tomorrow.
I really like it.

The time flies by and I keep my heart rate up.
After 2 days I am starting to feel a little sore in my arms. Just a little, but we will see what happens today.

I already have a least favorite machine...the squat machine. Ugh.
But, the others say it gets easier.

Anyway. Glad it went well.

cherylp3
11-15-2001, 11:38 AM
Congrats Mrs. Potato Head! Danica - It does get easier! :) I'd have to agree that the squat machine is akward ( I'm still not used to it. )

Cheryl

nhmomx2
11-15-2001, 12:04 PM
I love Curves! I actually joined in July...didn't get remeasured until October (because I missed about 5 weeks of workouts) and in that time I lost 4", 3lbs, and 4 1/2lbs of BF! Unfortunately, I haven't been going much :( so I'm sure it's back :eek:

It's a great workout. 30 minutes 4/week is all you really need. That 30 minutes is equivelant to 1 1/2 hours in the gym!! Now if only I could get myself back in the game and lose more before Christmas!!

Cheryl which center are you going to? I'm in Windham!

cherylp3
11-15-2001, 04:51 PM
NHMomx2 - I'm at the Dracut curves. They are going to open a new one in Pelham NH soon.

nhmomx2
11-16-2001, 07:55 AM
There is one in Dracut? And where is the one in Pelham going that's where I live!!!

tiffany123
11-16-2001, 08:07 AM
I have a Curves close to me also. I'm in my early 50's, overweight and out of shape. Would I feel out of place at Curves or do women my age belong to Curves?

cherylp3
11-16-2001, 09:14 AM
NHMomx2 - The one in Dracut is on Tennis Plaza Rd its off of Lakeview Ave by the Dracut PD.

Not sure where the Pelham one is but you can get a transfer if it is closer to you than Windham or you can get a travel pass too I think!

Curves has an 800 info # (800) 848-1096 - call and ask!!!

Tiffany - I don't think you'd feel out of place. There are people who join so they can stay toned but most curves members are there to lose weight.

Cheryl

cherylp3
11-16-2001, 10:38 AM
NHMomx2 - I asked for details regarding Pelham, they didn't know. Again check with the 800#

Tiffany - I asked and they said there are a lot of people who are 50 and over who are members!

My checkin I joined 8/16/01 I have lost 9lbs and 9 inches!!

Cheryl

danicaw
11-16-2001, 10:46 AM
I agree with Cherylp3 about the types of members. All ages and sizes. But we are all there to be healthier - so check it out.

I joined on Tuesday, after trying it the Friday before. The location I go it is working on adding a new machine. When I tried it last week it said 36 member needed until new machine.... yesterday it said 18 members. I am suprised at how fast that number has been dropping. I met another newbie last night. We are both slightly sore, but really enjoying the workout.

Its great, you can go at your own pace and judge how hard you are working.
I am curious other Curves members, do you workout beyond the 30 min. session? Should I add on a little cardio at home to help shed some pounds?

cherylp3
11-16-2001, 11:31 AM
Danica - which machine is the new machine??

I don't go beyond my 30 min workout. Sometimes I walk my dog around my condo for extra exercise but nothing major.

Cheryl

Mrs. Potato Head
11-16-2001, 01:10 PM
Tiffany, just go in a check it out! I don't think you would feel out of place at all! I just joined, and did my second workout today. I love it! There were women there of all ages and sizes. Actually, I would say the average age was around 40 or so. There were a couple of women who I would say were at least 60 and quite over weight! It really is quite comfortable!

danicaw
11-16-2001, 03:58 PM
the "new" machine is an Oblique machine. Am I spelling that right.
I don't know if it is actually new or if we just don't have it yet.

I stumbled across the website for the company who makes this equipment last week and now I can't find it. But, it would be neat to see what the whole line up looks like.

tiffany123
11-17-2001, 02:45 PM
Thanks ladies for all the encouragement. Yesterday I called and made an appointment to see what Curves for Women was all about. Ended up signing a 1 year contract and now have to make sure that I keep the committment that I made. Had my initial session yesterday and it seems like a program that will work for me. I will combine it with Weight Watchers and will aim for a new me when I make my first visit in over 11 years to WDW in June.

cherylp3
11-17-2001, 08:00 PM
Congrats Tiffany! Keep us posted on how you like it.

Cheryl

December99
11-19-2001, 12:13 PM
I signed up on Friday evening too. I start my workout tomorrow night!!! I'm actually excited about this....another lady from work is doing it to so I won't be going alone. And the owners were very nice people!!!

cherylp3
11-19-2001, 03:28 PM
December 99 - Glad to hear that you liked it!

Cheryl

wovenwonder
11-19-2001, 03:42 PM
We have one in the area too - it is about a 15 minute drive from my place. I'd like to check it out - but, I just don't know about the drive and all???? I probably would have time 2 or 3 nights/days a week - but, with winter coming along I hate to put out too much money and not get there often enough.

Maybe I will treat myself as a Christmas Gift - and go after the holidays!

Funny story I had to share though.....
This 'Curves for Woman' opened in the mall about 2 years ago - I never heard of it before, and up until about 6 months ago I thought it was some sort of 'breast enhancement' place!! Oh my!!:rolleyes:

cherylp3
11-28-2001, 08:58 AM
Hi Woven - It is recommended that you go at least 3 times a week.

Everyone else, How are you doing?

Cheryl

December99
11-28-2001, 10:37 AM
Last night was my second workout and I'm planning on going every night if I can...sometimes my schedule won't let me do that but if I can go...I'm going!!! I felt better last night working out...was able to push it a little harder...kept my heartrate about mid level which is fine for me...didn't sweat until I stopped!!!!! LOL Now I just have to stop drinking water early enough so I don't have to stop in the middle of my workout to pee!!!!!! ROFL

Mrs. Potato Head
11-28-2001, 02:18 PM
Hi everyone! I am loving Curves! I have been going 3x per week, and am going to try to up it to 4. I even went when we were in Indianapolis over Thanksgiving! Keep up all the hard work!

December99
11-29-2001, 09:54 AM
I wondered how it worked when you are traveling...if you can go somewhere where there is one. I should have asked, I could have gone last week in MN I'm sure!!!

Mrs. Potato Head
11-29-2001, 12:49 PM
December99, you can use any Curves, anywhere. You do have to get a travel pass from your Curves to prove you are a member.

MaryAnnDVC
12-04-2001, 10:54 AM
OK, I'm still a little clueless. Here's a link to a picture on their website, and some info...

http://www.curvesforwomen.com/category.cfm/3

Are a group of women starting their 30 minutes at the same time, and you all move around together? Or are you moving independently?

And has anyone belonged long enough to know if they offer a New Year's Resolution special in January? :D

Mrs. Potato Head
12-04-2001, 01:59 PM
Maryann,
You begin your workout when YOU get there. You can start at any "station" that is open. There is a voice prompt that tells you to change stations, approx. every 30 seconds. You go around the circuit three times, and this takes 30 minutes from the time you start. Within that 1/2 hours many different women can begin and end their workout. You do not have to wait for anyone.

I do not know if they offer any New Years specials. I do believe that each store can offer their own specials since they are franchises. You may want to call your local Curves and ask!

cherylp3
12-05-2001, 10:59 AM
MaryAnn,

Not Yet :D

Yes since each curves is independantly owned they can set their own "specials"

cherylp3
12-05-2001, 11:00 AM
Congrats December 99! I saw the post on the Community board.

Congrats on all your weight loss!!

Cheryl

BuzzMe
12-06-2001, 05:59 PM
I'm so glad I happened to see this thread. I have seen ads for Curves in our local paper and had dismissed it as a "fad". Thanks to all your positive feedback, I will definately check it out. Thanks!

MaryAnnDVC
12-06-2001, 07:35 PM
I saw an ad in our local paper...$99 for two months. :confused:

I'm not sure if I'll even call...I've joined and quit so many programs, I don't think I've got the guts to tell DH I want to try another one. :( Back to the treadmill.

December99
12-10-2001, 10:22 AM
Thanks Cheryl...well I worked out 4 times last week and was so looking forward to today to get here so I can go tonight. With the holidays coming up I'm trying to figure when I can go...only 3 times this week and I think I can make it 4 times next week!!! :) I love it so far...I think it's working because I'm not totally tired when I get to the top of my stairs. And my dh said that he can tell the difference that it is making already. I'm doing well on eating right now too and am focused it, believe it or not, on when I might be able to sneak a work in while I'm at WDW....we'll see about that one. I might just take advantage of sleeping in!!! :D

danicaw
12-11-2001, 06:57 PM
You guys are making me miss Curves even more.
I was on vacation last week and came home with quite the cold + fever. I can't wait until I am feeling better and can go back. I am up for a weigh in.

Maybe by the end of the week.
Enjoy the music for me.

danacara
12-11-2001, 11:09 PM
MaryAnnDVC - thanks for the website link, cause i just looked and a new Curves just opened even closer to me than my current Curves! Only 4.18 miles away! This is great!

December99
12-12-2001, 08:30 AM
Well...I think it's growing on me....last week I worked out 4 times, this week I can only do 3 and next week I can do 4 again. I can't wait to get measured next week...I was really upset because I wasn't seeing any good out of losing weight or working out on my waist but I'm starting to feel it and see it some. I am up to rolling my pants right now 2 times and I'm running out room to roll them anymore which I guess is a very good thing!!!! So we'll see how it goes Tuesday when I get measured!!!

Mrs. Potato Head
12-14-2001, 08:29 AM
I had my first official weight and measurements taken today! I can't believe one whole month has gone by! Anyways, my weight stayed the same (which I am thrilled with, I have been eating waaaaaayyy too much), however, I have LOST 3" AND .76% body fat. I attribute this all to Curves. I am sure without Curves I would have gained weight this past month!

Anyone else care to share?!

danicaw
12-14-2001, 10:13 AM
Congrats Mrs. Potato Head!
I have missed the last 2 weeks at Curves - the first on DCL and this last one recovering from a flu/cold. So, next week I will be overdue for my weigh-in and measurements.

Great job! Congrats on the inches.
I will post after my weigh-in - hears hoping its not all bad:)

cherylp3
12-19-2001, 11:52 AM
I lost 1.75 inches this month. Which brings me to 9 pounds and 10.75 inches lost.

nhmomx2
12-19-2001, 12:18 PM
Cheryl...finally found out about the Pelham, NH Curves...it opens on January 14th! I am hopeful that I can transfer my membership from Windam to Pelham. The commute time alone will be what I would spend working out! I haven't been in weeks and really miss it. With all the running around and the parttime job I had (long story!), I haven't had time...can't wait to go back!!!:D

Mrs. Potato Head
12-20-2001, 06:17 AM
Great job, Cheryl! Keep up the wonderful work!

nhmomx2, I am sure you can transfer your membership. We have several women at ours that transfered here when they opened, from a different location. It is so convenient when it is closer to home!

December99
12-20-2001, 11:34 AM
We should start having a monthly CURVES checkin like we do with the WISH checkin. I had my weight and measurements done on Tuesday and I am happy to report I have lost 9 pounds in the last month, 7 3/4 inches and 6% body fat!!!!! I am so excited! Now we'll see how I do at WDW next week. I'm hoping that I can eat well (as well as expected) and the walking will really help me. I don't think I"m too worried about once we get there...it's the drive in the car and back. I'm trying to purchase healthy snacks for us to take. But I get so darned bored in the car. I did purchase two books and have a mag that I need to catch up on and am going to the library tomorrow to get another book if it's available. So hopefully I will keep plenty busy. Gonna work out tonight and tomorrow and then I'm off until Jan 7!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Nice job you guys!!!!

RaySharpton
12-21-2001, 03:29 AM
Is this a new club? From looking in the mirror, I have a lot of curves...even some that I probably can't see, lol.

Mrs. Potato Head
12-21-2001, 02:19 PM
Oh Ray, fairly new. They are opening new stores all the time. Do keep in mind thought, it is called CURVES FOR WOMEN! Sorry!

LunarLady
12-26-2001, 08:42 AM
You guys :rolleyes:

I was feeling a little depressed this morning because I got on the scales and noticed I'd gained. So in addition to making a new resolve to get on a healthy diet and stick to it, I decided to come over here for some inspiration.

Me and my stupid ideas.

I found this thread and started (skeptically) reading and this "Curves for Women" sounded like it might be fun. Just on a lark, I followed the weblink one of you provided and found one about 4 blocks away. (darnit) Maybe someone's trying to tell me something?

Hmm.....oh what the heck, might as well call. So I did.

I have an appointment at 11:00 and found I could do a workout just to try the thing. The info I got was the initial fee (here in the Lansing, MI area) is $149.00 to join, but they've dropped that back to just $59.00 if you join in your first visit, then it's only $29.00 a month using something called "Check Draft" or you can pay $39.00 a month on a month-to-month basis (which is better for me because I can quit at any time if my schedule goes bananas again like it's been going for the past few months)

See what y'all have talked me into? You make it sound so good and I'm a sucker for new workout ideas. (I have to interject another "You guuuuyss!!) :rolleyes: :)

I'll let ya know how it goes. Wish me luck! Thanks for the info!

Mrs. Potato Head
12-26-2001, 10:04 AM
LunarLady, I sent you answered your PM. Good Luck!!! You will love it!

LunarLady
12-26-2001, 11:54 AM
It was very interesting and you're not on the machines as long as I thought you would be. Boy! They do move quickly there, don't they!

I broke down and signed up. I'll give it a month and really commit myself. (Gee, maybe I shouldn't have worded it that way....I'm committed, being committed...YIKES!) :eek: :eek:

But I do like the fact that there are JUST women there and most of them are like me: overweight, not perfect bodies, not stick thin, etc. I hope I like it!

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I'll let you know how I did on MY one month anniversary and maybe we can encourage more people to support the entreprenuers that started up this business for women only. (Sorry, Ray! I'd love to see someone like you at a facility like that, but I'm sure other women might be uncomfortable and couldn't relax with a guy around):( :(

Pooh93
12-27-2001, 07:40 AM
I am going to go check out curves this morning! Will let you know how I fare out! A friend gave me a 1 mo membership there, so I am going to try it.! Only thing is, ours is not open 7 days a week or very late in the evening. It's kind of strange. Wish me luck!

MaryJ
12-27-2001, 08:35 AM
Just found this thread. I joined at Curves when our local franchise was celebrating their one year anniversary. This just happened to be on 9/11. I'll never forget the day I joined! I haven't been for a couple of weeks as I hurt my back just before Christmas, but hope to make it there today. So far, I've lost 3", but fear I may have gained it all back with eating holiday goodies. I am going to get serious about it after the new year.

Mrs. Potato Head
12-27-2001, 09:25 AM
Pooh93, ours is the same way. Right now they are only open M-F, but are planning on adding Saturday a.m. after the first of the year. Our hours are 8:30 am - 12:30 pm and then 3:30 pm till 7:30 pm. It is kinda strange, but it works for me. I am at home, so as soon as the kids are on the busses, I go first thing. Good luck! You will enjoy it!

MaryJ - Me too, lost 3", but I think I gained them all back just this week!!! We just have to start over, and not worry about the past! It will come off again, plus more!!!

danicaw
12-27-2001, 10:40 AM
I think I mentioned this back in an earlier post. But now the new Oblique machine has arrived.
You sit and pull a bar over from the left. Once in position you grab the two handles on the end of this bar (connected to some major resistance, Ouch!) and twist from side to side. You aren't supposed to use your shoulders only you abs. I am doing a bad job of explaining it, I know.

Yesterday was my first day back after a 1 week vacation and 2 weeks of a yucky cold. It sounds like the new machine came while they were closed over the holiday, cause no one last night new how to use it. The girl who was showing us all really got an oblique workout.

LunarLady
12-27-2001, 11:14 AM
I HATE that oblique machine!

Pooh93
12-27-2001, 03:09 PM
Okay, I went, worked out, sweated profusely and joined!!! I liked it because it's fast, you can talk to people while doing it (which helps with the time thing) and I felt like I got a good work out. Can already feel it in my legs! Am going back tomorrow night. I've decided I'll go on Fri night and Sat morning for sure and then try at least one other night of the week.

Blondie
12-28-2001, 07:55 PM
I'm so glad I found this thread!

I wondered what Curves For Women was all about, now I know!

I think I'll pop on in there next week, and give it a whirl!

From the sounds of it, it reminds me of "Elaine Powers Figure Salon."

Does anyone remember that place? It wasn't set up in a "circuit", but it sounds like it has similar equipment!

Mrs. Potato Head
12-28-2001, 10:50 PM
OMG, Blondie! I used to work at Elaine Powers! That was 24 years ago!!!!! Do you remember Team Time? LOL!!! The equipment is different, but the concept is quite similar! Do you remember those belt machines, that shook you all over the place, and the roller machine that you would lay on?!

It's funny, because I said that Curves does remind me of Elaine Powers! The friend that I go with had no idea what I was talking about!

Blondie
12-29-2001, 11:13 AM
Yep, Elaine Powers goes way, way back! They used to do the measuring as well, but back then, nobody knew anything about measuring body fat, or counting fat grams for that matter!

I did well there, when I went on a regular basis!

The EP I went to was taken over or renamed, (I never knew all the details) "Living Well Lady" or something along those lines. I had stopped going at that point.

I'm looking forward to trying Curves out. Sounds like it's right up my alley, and it's for only 30 minutes!

CathyCanada
01-01-2002, 09:43 PM
I just wanted to say THANKS to you ladies. After a summer/fall of sitting at the computer working and travelling I was very upset to see I had gained 20 lbs and feel lousy. I saw that Curves had opened up in a local strip mall and had no clue what is was until I saw this thread. Well I have an appt at 2:30 tomorrow to try it out. I like the idea it is close by and can go when I want.
I'll let you know how I make out and thanks for the info!
CC

LunarLady
01-02-2002, 08:44 AM
And be careful about the proximity! :D Mine is so close, I can't use weather reasons to get out of going! :D :D :D I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing.

Let us know what you think and how they're dealing with your back problems!

danacara
01-02-2002, 11:00 PM
The oblique machine is definitely the toughest one - unless you count that one where you do butt squats! You all know the one that I mean!
Have you come up with inventive ways to make the running stations more interesting? I do leg lifts, I step up and step down ... lots of fun stuff ...

Mrs. Potato Head
01-03-2002, 08:50 AM
We don't have the oblique machine...yet. We are getting one! I did do it when I went to Curves in Indianapolis over Thanksgiving. That machine was not fun, but I did think the squat one was worse! I hate that one! Everyone does!

At the running stations, I do all sorts of things; kicks, Tae-Bo punches, etc. I really think that you have to, it does get "stale" if you don't. It also perks up your workout!

Good luck, Cathy! Let us know what happens!

MaryJ
01-03-2002, 01:10 PM
it does get "stale" if you don't.

Nothing makes the workout more stale than being the only person in the place! That happened to me before Christmas. Even the woman who worked there was gone. I finished my three circuits and left before she came back.

Mrs. Potato Head
01-03-2002, 02:30 PM
MaryJ, oh my! That would be terrible! One of the things I like most about Curves is talking to everyone! The least amount of woment there has been when I was there was 4. I can not even imagine being the only one there! Boring!!!

CathyCanada
01-03-2002, 05:46 PM
THANK YOU LADIES!! I loved it and joined immediately and LL yep went back again this morning and realized how much of a workout I could get from it! LOL I had a massage scheduled after and my back is fine. May have overdone the hip (getting old sucks!) ;) though. We have 8 machines, (hear the "ownership of being a member already?") and everyone is SO friendly. I like to go at a non-busy time so there are only 2-3 ladies. I told them that I read about Curves on a Disney fan site and they couldn't get over it! :D
Thanks again for letting me know about this!
CC

cherylp3
01-03-2002, 06:33 PM
My curves doesn't have an oblique machine :(

Welcome to Lunar Lady and Webmaster Cathy Canada and Mary J !

I haven't been feeling well so I've been missing curves, hopefully I will get back into the swing of things next week.

Hope everyone is doing well!!

Cheryl

CathyCanada
01-03-2002, 06:44 PM
Hope you are feeling better soon Cheryl, there are so many bugs going around these days! Take care!
CC

danicaw
01-04-2002, 10:32 AM
Ok, I think we need a count of how many of us checked out Cruves and Joined after reading this thread.

I would be one!

I am sure we are up to a half dozen of us by now. :)
Maybe the company would give us some kind of a deal...New members who are active on the DIS get a 30% discount ;)

Who wants to pitch the idea? Anyone?;)

CathyCanada
01-04-2002, 10:30 PM
The owner of the Curves I go to couldn't get over how I learned what Curves was (after thinking it was a lingerie store! LOL)
I know I got a workout yesterday when I am hurting today and couldn't go for more torture! ;)
Looking forward to the morning tho!
CC

Dopeygirl
01-04-2002, 11:54 PM
I have to laugh...I have seen the title of this thread numerous times but thought it was referring to the perfume (by Liz Claiborne, I think)!! I couldn't figure out why a thread about perfume was SOOOOOO long!! I finally gave into my curiosity tonight...definetly NOT perfume but maybe they should sell the perfume to cover up the lovely sweat smell after your workouts! LOL

This does sound great but there isn't one close enough to me to ensure that I'd go. So I guess I'll stick with the treadmill. :(

Thanks for giving me a good laugh!

Pooh93
01-05-2002, 04:42 PM
I just wanted to say that I am glad I joined Curves! I was really tired after work this week and it really did help me to get back some energy in the evenings and get rid of that dull (vacation/holiday) hangover/headache that I get when I take several days off and get out of my routine! I'm really hoping that the exercise with the combination of WW will really get me back to where I used to be.

Nolcrest
01-05-2002, 05:05 PM
I'm a Curves member. I love it. Since joining in August I have lost 23 inches and 16 pounds and 9% body fat (without dieting). I go faithfully M-F. I take the weekend off. Highly recommend it for anyone considering an exercise program.

CathyCanada
01-06-2002, 09:39 AM
Nolcrest's reply made me wonder, how often does everyone go to Curves?
CC

Mrs. Potato Head
01-06-2002, 07:46 PM
I go M-W-F mornings as soon as my DD gets on the bus. She is home on T-TH so it is harder (but not impossible) for me to get there then. I have found that the women that go five days have much better results!

Mrs. Potato Head
01-07-2002, 12:39 PM
Okay, walked into Curves the morning, and guess what is sitting right in the middle of the floor, with gold bows on it? An Oblique Machine. Oh No!!! We can't use it yet because they are waiting for another recovery station, which has not come in yet.

I have used this machine before, so I know what to expect. The other ladies were so excited! All I told them was that the Squat machine would no longer be the one they hate the most!!!

MaryJ
01-08-2002, 07:08 AM
I went back to Curves for the first time yesterday since well before Christmas. No oblique machine yet. However, our Curves is now under new management. I really liked the person who ran it before. Two sisters bought it from her and they just don't seem as friendly. Hope this doesn't mean a drop in membership and an eventual closing!

Going back this afternoon!:)

danicaw
01-08-2002, 10:37 AM
I think I am starting to get the swing of the Oblique Machine.
But yesterday when I walked in they had a new sign on the wall

- 99 New Member needed to get a new Pec Dec -

Our circle of equipment keeps expanding.
Does anyone else have the Pec Dec? What should we expect?

MaryJ
01-08-2002, 02:15 PM
Don't know anything about the Pec Dec, but I'm wondering. Does membership need to reach a certain level to get the Oblique machine, or is it just up to the individual franchise owners?

Any Curves owners out there that know?

danacara
01-08-2002, 08:16 PM
Naah, we've had it since the opening. It has to do with the amount of capital the owner is willing to invest, I think.

LunarLady
01-17-2002, 09:23 AM
YAAAY!!! The Curves thread is back!

First thing I wanna know: CathyCanada! Have you been keeping up on going and have you noticed any improvements in your body? I'd like to know if your obliques have started to come out after two weeks like mind did.

I hope so! Welcome back everybody! I missed my IB and Curves buddies!

Mrs. Potato Head
01-17-2002, 12:46 PM
Hi Curves pals!!! Monday I am starting a 6 weeks challange that our Curves is starting. We will be introduced to the diet program and have to stay on it for six weeks. We will meet every Monday at 12:30 p.m. This will be hard for me, since I am a carb addict but if I can't sacrifice for just 6 weeks, then I have a serious problem!!! (I am trying to talk myself into this!) I am going to try real hard this weekend to cut back, so come Monday, I don't have serious withdrawl!

I hope you are all doing well!

cherylp3
01-17-2002, 01:02 PM
You are braver than I Mrs. Potato Head. - I tried to give up carbs, couldn't do it. :(
I have cut back on carbs although. ( Although we haven't had that challenge yet )

Good Luck!

Cheryl

danicaw
01-17-2002, 01:18 PM
Keep us posted Mrs. Potato Head.

-78 more members til the Pec Dec-

December99
01-17-2002, 01:44 PM
WOW...it's been a bit since I posted here...like a month now. I get measured and weighed again on Monday!!!!! Can't believe I've been there 2 months now. And I still love it!! Glad to see all the new people who have joined us here and have joined CURVES. We don't have an obligue machine yet but someone came from another CURVES and they were talking about it the other night. Sounds icky!!! And I HATE that squat machine!!!! I have bad knees though, and sometimes it just kills my knees...so I do leg lifts while holding on to the machine when I'm in pain. Still works my butt I figure!!!

Now, I'm curious about something - how many of you that are going to CURVES also do other workouts or workout at home on top of it???? I know a lady that is doing CURVES 3 days a week and aeorobics 3 days a week. I would think that that will not give a real accurate count when you go to be measured. Oh well....

Well...good luck and welcome to everyone!!!

CathyCanada
01-17-2002, 04:19 PM
Well I did 3 times last week and 3 times this week and depending on how bad my email box looks in the morning, may go again tomorrow! :)
I was there by myself mid-morning, I love it that way!

16 more days until my first measurement! :D
CC

danicaw
01-17-2002, 04:48 PM
Well, when I joined I figured I would still walk or bike at home while watching TV with hubby, but so far it hasn't happened yet.

WebmasterCathyCanda - you were there by yourself?
WOW! I can't imagine it that empty, must be kind of nice.
Ours has gotten so full since the new year that when I arrive, usually around 5:15, there are only a few empty spots in the rotation, and everybody has at least one neighbor.

CathyCanada
01-17-2002, 05:30 PM
yep, just me and all my friends!!! ;)
This location is only a couple of months old and I know the "right" times to go.
CC

LunarLady
01-17-2002, 07:39 PM
Atta girl, Cathy! Keep up the good work! I know you'll be seeing those results soon!

I've been toying with the idea of going to Curves every other day and doing the treadmill on the "off" days. Even though we seem to get a great workout at Curves, I'm noticing my body not as agile on the stairs and think I should get more cardio into my routine.

Maybe that's a goal to start tomorrow.

But keep at it, Cathy! Congrats for sticking to your schedule!

CathyCanada
01-17-2002, 09:15 PM
LL you are helping keep me motivated you know! :)
Now I am thinking on off-days I can do some of the DanceFIT that I used to teach, I have dozens of videos so.... I'll get back to you on it! LOL
CC

CPM
01-18-2002, 12:48 AM
I just came across this thread! I belong to Curves, and every tme I tell someone they've never heard about it! I've been going for four months, I've only lost 6 lbs! I do love it. I hate that they are closed from 1-3, are the ones near all you guys closed those hours? Also this past two weeks it's so crowded due to seasonal people they are really going to have to stay open longer! But all & all I've belonged to them all & I think Curves is theone I'll stick to, I also bike every night in conjunction with going to Curves 4 times a week.

Pooh93
01-18-2002, 07:46 AM
I was really concerned when I joined about the hours (or lack of, I should say), but so far it has worked out good. I am really liking the workouts and have found alot of women I know belong, so we chit chat and it really makes the 30 minutes fly by! My knees have been bothering me also and I figure it must be the squat machine, so until I get some weight off, I am going to take it easy on that machine.

LunarLady
01-18-2002, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by Pooh93
My knees have been bothering me also and I figure it must be the squat machine, so until I get some weight off, I am going to take it easy on that machine.

:D :D :D Anything to get out of the squats, huh? :p :p :p

Seriously though, I know women who do the squats with bad knees....they just don't crouch down as far. Maybe they just go down about 2-4 in and it'll still help build the thigh muscles. I'm not saying you MUST do the squat machine (talk to the instructor about it) but every machine has a purpose.

Gee.....that's a heck of a motivation to lose weight: if you lose weight then you'll do the squat machine! Oh Yeah! And maybe if I lose enough weight you can brand my butt with a lit cigar! :p :p :p

cherylp3
01-18-2002, 09:48 AM
first - there is an alternate exercise you can do for the squat machine talk to the instructor.

2nd - my weigh in was today. 13.75 Inches and 12.75 Lbs lost total since August 16th 2001.

Cheryl

Pooh93
01-18-2002, 09:53 PM
Lol, Lunarlady! Here, I didn't think anyone would catch on that I was trying to avoid that squat machine!;) I went tonight and talked with the owner and I don't think I've been doing it quite right! Keep up the good work ladies!!! My measurements will be taken in 9 days for the 1st time. Will have to let all of you know if I'm on my way to that hourglass figure! Lol:D

CarolMN
01-19-2002, 11:42 AM
After reading this thread several times over the past two weeks or so, I decided to go and check it out. Joined yesterday. Made it through the first workout even though I am horribly out of shape. I think this is something I can and will do regularly. Looking forward to going again on Monday. Couldn't get there this morning, but I did manage to walk two miles over at the local mall. Am really hoping that the exercise will help me to control my blood sugar (am a diabetic).

cherylp3 - Thanks for starting this thread. And thanks to all of you who've posted. I'll be checking in to see how everyone is doing - and to keep myself motivated. :):):)

Carol

CathyCanada
01-19-2002, 06:46 PM
Congratulations Carol you are on your way! Good luck and keep us informed of your progress!
CC

WDW Poly Princess
01-20-2002, 03:21 PM
I just found this thread today, and checked the website- there is actually a location in my town! I will have to go check it out when all this snow clears up!

CathyCanada
01-20-2002, 07:59 PM
Okay, haven't been to Curves since Thurs. but did go 3 times last week. Tonight did a 45 minute walk with Jim and I WILL go to Curves at least 3 times again. Goal setting, yeah that's it!
CC

Mrs. Potato Head
01-21-2002, 02:22 PM
I have had a heck of a time logging into the DIS! Finally!!! I have really missed the "Curves Women"!!

I started on their 6 week challange today. I will be following the low carb. diet. It is going to be hard for the first two weeks, but I am going to do it! I will weigh in every Monday. After two weeks then I can raise my carb. level, so that will be something to look forward to!

It sounds like you are all doing really well! Keep up the hard work!

CathyCanada
01-21-2002, 03:02 PM
What is that 6-week challenge, Mrs. Potato Head?
I went this morning, so I am happy with myself, oh the discipline! :D
CC

MaryJ
01-21-2002, 04:08 PM
Our Curves was just recently purchased by two sisters, and they just returned from Curves "boot camp" last weekend. When I went this morning I found out that I had been using some of the machines incorrectly! I think I have fallen into bad habits. Also, I found out from them that there are 4 machines that our location does not have. I know one of them is the oblique. I'm going to try to find out what the others are tomorrow. Anyway, I'm glad they went so that they can set me straight!

Mrs. Potato Head
01-21-2002, 07:19 PM
Cathy, the 6 week challange is a diet program. Do you have the Curves book. Permanent Results without Permanent Dieting ? I got mine for free when I joined by giving them names and numbers of three friends. I'm not sure if they sell it or not, but when you do the challange they give you one also. It is a great book!

Anyhow, we are meeting every Monday for six weeks to go over the program. There are three phases. I will be in Phase I for two weeks. That means NO carbs other than the allowed fruits and vegtables. No bread, potatoes, rice, sugar, etc. I have made it through day one. It was not too bad. The biggest problem I will have is that I do not eat beef or pork, so my protein choices are limited. I can get really sick of turkey, chicken and tuna! For me this is a mind set. I AM GOING TO DO IT!!!

Ask at your Curves when they will have the classes. There is no additional charge. The support and motivation is great!

CathyCanada
01-21-2002, 09:06 PM
thanks Mrs. Potato Head, they are offering a free T-shirt to anyone who brings people in but I haven't seen that book there. I will have to ask around. :)
Thanks!
CC

Felicia
01-22-2002, 12:17 AM
My friend joined Curves 2 weeks ago and loves it AND I've been reading all of your posts here and I have an appointment tomorrow at 6pm!!!!!

I CAN'T WAIT!

Thanks and I'll let you know how it goes!!!

Mrs. Potato Head
01-22-2002, 09:41 AM
Good luck Felicia! You should love it, too!

Cathy, if we BRING in a friend we get a tote bag, two friends a t-shirt, and three friends, I can't remember! Anyhow to get the book, you don't have to bring anyone in, just give names!

Felicia
01-22-2002, 09:31 PM
I did it!! I joined!!!

I went tonight, signed up, and worked out! Watch out kids, mom's wearing a bikini this summer!!!!

I LOVED it, it didn't even feel like I was "working out", it was FUN. Yes, I sweat and hurt and I'm sure I'll feel it tomorrow, But I am so happy that I started it today!

Thank you for the good luck, and I'll "report in" soon! Good luck to you all!!

LunarLady
01-23-2002, 10:38 AM
First of all, CONGRATULATIONS Felicia! Great goal of getting into a bikini...keep that though firmly in mind and you'll do it! And an added WAY TO GO! for Cathy! Keep it up babe and you'll be passing Mrs. Potato Head, who's doing so well that I envy her!

Now for the important safety tip:

I found out this morning that the recovery boards are NOT, I REPEAT, NOT! there to keep your aerobic levels up. They are called "recovery" boards for a reason. I was working on the ab machine (Where you keep your arms straight and push down while holding your knees up) and all the lights in the room went out.

Well, actually they didn't go out, that was just my body saying "STOP!!! YOU'RE PASSING OUT! GO TO GROUND!!" I should have known something was wrong when I was struggling so much with the workout this morning and got around 2 times before this happened. (At one point my heart rate was at 180 during the count) But I figured I was just being lazy and pushed myself harder than I usually do and scared the crap out of my instructor.

(I've been here before and know when the "lights go out or dim down" that unconciousness is only about 10 sec away so I just got off the machine and kneeled in front of it until the lights came back up) I think I sweated more during this incident than I have in the past three weeks!

But in the ensuing "What's wrong?" and "What are you doing, are you OK?" I was re-educated about slowing down, not getting an "aerobic workout" on the recovery boards and about how they try to discourage jogging in place and working harder on the boards than on the machines.

This is strictly a STRENGTH TRAINING workout. (Which means I need to get my cardio on the treadmill, not the gym) I also could either be coming down with something or not eating enough.

But I just wanted to pass that along to y'all about the purpose of the recovery boards. I WILL (I promised) take it easier on the recovery boards in the future.

danicaw
01-23-2002, 11:33 AM
Thanks for the reminder LunarLady.

I know I forget often. The music gets going and I can't help myself. Then the heartrate check come around and low and behold I am a wee bit higher than I ought to be.

They occasionaly put reminders on the white boards at our Curves about the "recovery boards" being for recovering.

Oddly the only time I am good about this is right before and after the squat machine ;)
Seriously though, sorry you were reminded in that way. Glad all is well and thanks again for reminding all of us.

danacara
01-23-2002, 12:43 PM
I'm glad you're alive, LL (:) ) but the Curves here advises you to use the platforms aerobically if you're in shape to do so. Lots of people here get in a "mini-step workout" with them. If your heartrate is within your range, might as well jog! My heart rate never even gets to my minimum unless I do that.

Mrs. Potato Head
01-23-2002, 01:14 PM
I am so glad that you are okay!!! That is scary. Also, thanks for the compliment! I am not at the stage where I could be envyed, but thanks! I have a long way to go!!!

Our Curves, also, advises using the recovery stations for aerobic purposes if you are fit to do so. That is why it is so important to monitor your heart rate! I need to work hard to get mine up there, but fortunetly not to the point where I have been ready to pass out! Some of the women go so fast and hard on those things. I really am surprised that I have not seen someone pass out, yet. Let's pray that does not happen!

Felicia, WAY TO GO!!!

CarolMN
01-23-2002, 04:26 PM
Thanks for the info on the recovery stations. I'm glas you are OK, LunarLady!

Today was my 4th workout at Curves. One of the workers talked about the heart rate chart, but I really didn't quite understand. Can someone tell me where you should be on the chart? Is it OK to have a rate in the gray column or even a little bit higher? Should I be "aiming" for the yellow column or ???? I'm assuming if it is too high, you need to take it easy for a little while. Is that right?

Also, where do you all take the count from? Throat, wrist, or ??? I seem to have trouble finding my pulse, unless it's really racing :( . Guess I'll just have to practice.

Anyway, thanks for your help. I like the workouts once I get there. The hardest part is just getting myself into the car to actually go!

Mrs. Potato Head
01-23-2002, 07:03 PM
CarolMN, I am really not sure but I think that as long as you don't go over 90% you are okay. I would ask! As far as your pulse goes, I find mine most easily on my neck, just below my ear. Once you find it, it should be easy to always find. It is hard to find it at first. Also, do not use your thumb to take it, as your thumb has a pulse and you won't get an accurate count. I use my pointer and middle finger.

LunarLady
01-23-2002, 07:16 PM
Carol:

You should be aiming for the "yellow" part of the chart. Since I'm 37 and fall between 35 and 40, my heart rate shouldn't be above 22-21. I typically fall on that during my usual workouts, sometimes higher (right after the ab machines or squat machines).

Like I said before, though, for some reason today it was a struggle (Monday I had no problems) and I should have realized what was going on before I pushed myself harder than necessary. Good thing our bodies will MAKE us stop if we go too far, huh? :D

CarolMN
01-24-2002, 11:07 AM
Thanks Mrs. Potato Head and LunarLady. I did "find" my pulse this morning (LOL) and it was higher than the yellow, but not at the gray level. I think I probably overdid it for the first few workouts - today was my 5th time. Today I made it through two entire cycles before I started counting the stations to see how many were left. :D

I am amazed at how much better I am feeling even though it has only been a week.

Thanks again for everyone's encouragement and information.

CathyCanada
01-25-2002, 07:48 AM
LL what a scare! Thanks for the tip on the recovery boards. After teaching DanceFIT for 10 years, I know how to keep my pulse rate in check, esp for an old babe like me!! ;) LOL

Mrs Potato Head, I asked about the book and we don't have extra copies yet (new location) but they were going to ask the boss because the lady who left before me asked for the same thing! :)

You ladies really do inspire me, I am on my way this morning for my 3rd workout of the week (and 4th if you count the walk) :)

Thank you to you all!
Cathy

Mrs. Potato Head
01-25-2002, 08:44 AM
Cathy, if they can't get the book, let me know and if you want I will be more that happy to send you one. We can buy them for $5.00, and I am fairly sure they have quite a few. Our Curves is new too (opened in November), and I got mine when I signed up.

Don't you all feel good! I have been 3X this week and feel great. Since I started the diet on Monday, I have lost 3.5 lbs. The first two days were pure you know what, but it is getting easier! What I don't understand is how I could eat so much (all protein) and still be losing! Trust me, I am by no means hungry! I certainly am not overdoing it, but sometimes I think I am eating more of what I normally would. I also can not eat lowfat or fat free anything, only real mayo, salad dressing, etc.!!! It tastes so good! This really goes against my way of thinking, but it does work! The weekend is going to be hard, but I will get through it.

Have a wonderful weekend, everyone!!!:)

CathyCanada
01-25-2002, 09:24 PM
Mrs. Potato Head you are so sweet, congrats on your loss!! Keep up the good work!

I went today so that made for 3 times this week and one walk, I am happy with that! now if I can only keep it up! :)
Enjoy the weekend all!
CC

LunarLady
01-26-2002, 11:38 AM
Thanks for the inspiration, guys. Since the incident on Wednesday I've been too embarassed to go back, but I think I will go this afternoon to complete my three workouts this week. I just hated the idea that people would be "keeping and eye" on me while working out. Guess I'll just have to get over it because I love the results too much!

CathyCanada
01-26-2002, 03:06 PM
LL the weirdest thing happened. When I was on the Ab/Back machine (for the 3rd time), I was really pushing it and I also started feeling light-headed. I thought of you and slowed right down. I forgot to mention it to the owner but will on Monday. I think when I came back up I did it too fast, maybe that is it?

Anyway, don't be embarassed, you are doing this for YOU, not anyone else and I am sure you will be extra careful now!

Keep up the good work ladies!! :D
CC

Mrs. Potato Head
01-28-2002, 12:53 PM
Okay ladies, I have just completed week one of the 6 week challange, and was weighed today. I LOST 5 LBS.!!! I am so excited! The diet is still hard, but not quite as now that I know how well it works. One more week on Phase I (since I need to loose more than 20 lbs.), then I will move on to phase II and will be able to add a few carbs. I went 3x last week, and workout hard each time. I feel good! Okay, enough of me!!!

How is everyone else doing? LL don't worry about what anyone else thinks! Do what is good for you. You are doing so well!!!

CathyCanada
01-28-2002, 02:05 PM
I went this afternoon!
CC

CathyCanada
01-30-2002, 09:59 PM
Took the day off. Just wanted to let you know Mrs PotatoHead, I got the last Permanent Results.... book that we had. Looking forward to reading it now! :)
CC

Mrs. Potato Head
01-31-2002, 08:58 AM
Cathy, HAPPY READING!!!

MaryJ
02-01-2002, 09:38 AM
Just wanted to let you guys know that I got measured today. Now keep in mind that I have not measured since November. Anyway, I lost 1 lb. and 5". That makes a total of (again) 1 lb. and 7.75"!!

Now that they holidays and my DH's birthday are behind me, maybe I can work more on the weight. I want to look good in a swimsuit when we go to WDW in July! And please, no candy for Valentine's Day!

CarolMN
02-01-2002, 10:55 AM
How often do you get measured? I joined 1/18/02 and haven't been measured since then. Can you tell that I am anxious for results? :D

Today was my 9th visit. Even if I don't lose weight or inches (and I think/hope that I will), I am feeling so much better that it is definitely worth it just for that.

PS. I'm doing much better at finding my heart rate and much better at keeping it in the yellow. Could that be because the program is working and I getting more fit? :D :D :D

Pooh93
02-02-2002, 05:49 AM
And the results are in......I lost 1/2 inch in my arm, chest(why does that not surprise me! Lol) waist, thigh and hips. Nothing in my stomach yet! I have lost 2.4 lbs. I counted and went to Curves 17 times in January. I think that is pretty good! Hope to start losing more weight as I am going to keep better track of my WW points!

Keep up the good work gals!!!! CarolMN, you get measured once a month on the anniversay date of when you joined. So you should measure on FEb18 or somewhere close. I was actually, a week off, because I should have been measured on Jan 27.

CarolMN
02-02-2002, 10:31 AM
Congratulations, Pooh93! And thanks for the info on measuring. I'm going to ask if they'll measure me a few days earlier than my anniversary date. We're leaving for VB & WDW on 2/14 (YEA!) and I'd like to know how I'm doing. Guess I'll know next week when I try on my WDW clothes. They really should fit better now, right? :D

Today was the first Saturday that I've gone. The Shoreview Curves is open 8 - 11 and I got there at 1 minute after 8. It was already almost full! By 10 minutes after 8, all the spots were taken, and four or five people were waiting. Next week, I think I will plan to either get there a few minutes BEFORE opening or plan to come about 8:35 or so.

I think I am a little spoiled. During the week, I've been going between 6 and 6:30 in the morning and at that time it is only about half full. I like Curves best when it is about half full.

Anyone else have a favorite time to go? Do you like to chat while you work out or do you prefer to concentrate on the workout?

Pooh93
02-02-2002, 11:49 AM
I have to go in the evening as I work during the day, but if I had a choice, I'd be there as early in the day as possible. I got there at 8:35 this morning and the place was packed too! I like it when it's more crowded as I like to talk so the time goes by faster! I also like the music really upbeat, that seems to get me motivated too!

Think of all the great exercise you will get walking around WDW CarolMN!

Mrs. Potato Head
02-02-2002, 12:42 PM
Great job, Ladies!

I had an interesting day at Curves yesterday. I had just been around one time, and the power went off! There were about 10 women there, and nobody wanted to stop! The women working watched her watch and every 30 seconds told us to switch stations! The was no music and only the sunlight. It was so hard to do without the music, but we all finished!

CarolMN
02-04-2002, 11:36 AM
This morning is the first day of my third week. Don't think I have lost any weight yet, but just feeling better makes it worthwhile. Have gotten into a routine of ging to Curves right when it opens and then driving to the Mall for a 3 mile walk. I walk three times around the top level and then three times around the lower level. Hardest part is walking by the Cinnabon shop. It always smells sooooo good. This morning, I saw a HUGE glob of butter ( at least a pound, I think) on top of the dough waiting for the lady to spread on top. It apparently goes on before the cinnamon/sugar mix. Anyway, looking at all that butter kind of made me shudder and I lost my desire to actually eat one. :D They still smell good, though!

Mrs. Potato Head - isn't it time to begin phase II? How did week two of Phase I go? I'm following your progress. Thinking I might try this diet after I return from WDW. Thanks for sharing with us.

Keep up the good work, everyone!

Mrs. Potato Head
02-04-2002, 03:02 PM
Carol, yes, I began phase II today. I got weighed today and lost 4.5 lbs. last week. That is a total of 9.5 lbs. in two weeks! I am thrilled! I know the weight loss will slow down now, but that is okay. Today I ate a piece of rye toast in the a.m. and I just had some melba toast with cream cheese. It was soooo good! I can have up to 60 grams of carbs. a day now. Week two of phase I went well. It really is true, that once the sugars and carbs. are out of your system you don't crave them anymore. There was one day that I did eat 1/2 of a honeydew! It was so good, I couldn't stop. Apparently it did not matter, though. Other than that, I did not cheat at all! Thanks for asking!!! When are you leaving for your trip?

CarolMN
02-04-2002, 03:41 PM
We leave on Valentine's Day for VB. Can't wait for it to get here. Sure hope the weather cooperates. Going to WDW on 2/18 and then home again :( on 2/23. Traveling with my brother's family. Their kids have President's week off from school.

Thanks for the update on the Curves diet. Congratulations on your progress so far. 9.5 in two weeks is just awesome! Hope it continue to go well.

Gotta go finish cleaning the kitchen. I think the floor has long dried (my excuse for taking a DIS break). :D

CathyCanada
02-04-2002, 05:52 PM
Great work, Mrs Potato Head and Carol, you ARE inspiring! :)
I went this morning and get measured and weighed tomorrow, wish me luck!

Ladies I am going to move us to the new WISH sub-board and provide the link when I move it!
See you there!
CC

CathyCanada
02-04-2002, 05:54 PM
Find us at the top of the board or click here (http://198.65.131.237/showthread.php?s=&postid=1327699#post1327699)

Mrs. Potato Head
02-04-2002, 06:46 PM
Good luck, Cathy! I am sure you will do well! Let us know!!!:)

Carol, I am so envious! It is 14 degrees here today. Anything would be better than this bitter cold! I added some carbs today and I feel like I have cheated! I still only had 43 total grams. I am allowed up to 60.

This has become quite a popular thread, hasn't it!!!:D

poohraedopey
02-05-2002, 10:37 AM
Hi everyone I was thinking of joining curves in abotu a month AFTER my trip cant afford it right now and need to work out TIMING with the hubby anyways! LOL! I just found out that ivillage the womens network now has a curves message board if anyone is interested in finding more support there..... http://boards1.ivillage.com/messages/get/fbcurves3.html

Hoping to be able to join you all soon!

I've been losing weight on my own since March 2000 and been up and down in that time. I had a gym but we didnt renew and I gained about half of what I had lost back so I am hoping to join curves and relose what i gained and then some!

Felicia
02-05-2002, 11:51 AM
Well this is the start of week 3 for me! Last week I was home with the kids and the flu, so I didn't get to work out :( I was there last night though and made up for it - sweating the pounds and inches away! I won't be going tonight, but will be there tomorrow. Thanks for the inspiration. You all are doing great!!

CathyCanada
02-06-2002, 12:27 PM
Welcome to our thread poohraedopey!!
And Felicia, glad to hear that you are back at it!!

And I can now say WOOOOOHHOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I lost 3.5 lbs and a total of 3.5" too!! I gained 1/4" on my arms and calves but I think that is just the change to muscle, I can feel a difference. I was preparing myself for the worst, but was pleasantly surprised! :D
Been twice this week and shooting for at least once more!
CC

Mrs. Potato Head
02-06-2002, 07:29 PM
WAY TO GO, CATHY!!!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

danicaw
02-07-2002, 12:08 PM
I havent gone for almost 2 weeks.
I think (an hubby agrees) that I pulled a muscle in my oblique area - hard to discribe (I am sitting here trying to show you guys...its right here on the side, see! :) ). So I have taken some time off from Curves, since I am not sure what I did and what has been upsetting it.
I am doing 45 to 60 minutes of cardio at home but I really am missing Curves.
Plus my monthly weigh in is next week. Would it be nuts for me to go just for the weigh in? Hopefully by then I will not be hurting anymore.

Congrats Cathy. Way to go!
Thank you all for helping me stay motivated.

CathyCanada
02-08-2002, 08:11 AM
Danica,
The obliques run across your abdomen (like an X I think), but I am not sure where it starts. I would go for your measuring/weigh-in and tell them where it hurts and maybe they can help you.

Good luck and good for you for working out at home!
CC

Mrs. Potato Head
02-08-2002, 08:22 AM
Danicaw, I agree with Cathy. Go for your weigh in and talk to them! They may have some stretches, or something that will help you. I salute you for working out at home. I have such a hard time doing that! I find every excuse there is to do something else! Let us know what happens!

noel
02-08-2002, 08:32 AM
HI....just found this thread.

I just went to a Curves in the Milwaukee area for the first time on Wednesday. My friend Tammy went Tuesday, sent me an email raving about it Wed morning at work, so I thought I'd give it a shot. WOW! I love it! We went last night too and are planning on going Sat morning as well.

Until about 5 years ago I was always a size 4-6. Now I'm only finding clothes at Lane Bryant and in the plus size areas of department stores. I'm realizing that if I don't do something soon, even those clothes won't fit me. :(

For the first time in a very long time I actually am excited to work out and look foward to it. Best of all I KNOW I can stay committed to this. I'll be formally joining next week, but am enjoying the free 1 week trial.

I'll keep you all updated on my progress. :)

CarolMN
02-08-2002, 10:28 AM
Welcome to the thread, noel! :)

danicaw - Hope you recover soon. I also think you should go. Even if you don't get weighed and measured, ask them if there is an alternative exercise you can do instead of using the oblique machine. I asked at my Curves which one of the machines was the "famous" obligue machine everyone here was talking about. The answer was that they had one, but got rid of it. Even though it wasn't so stated, I got the impression that they either had a lot of complaints (or possibly injuries from not using it correctly??).

This morning, I came in and noticed that they had rearranged the order of the machines. I was disappointed because they put my two least favorites together. UGH! Oh well, for the first time I didn't have any trouble remembering how many times I'd been around, LOL!

Our Curves is actually getting crowded - there are a few times during the day when 3 or 4 people are waiting for a station to begin their workouts. At least that's what I was told. (No problem at 6 AM so far. :D) BUT, they're expanding sometime this month and adding two more machines. One will be new to us and is supposed to be good for your "butt":) and the other one is the ab/back machine. We already have one of those - I like it because it really does seem to help my stomach muscles. Hopefully the expansion will all be done when I get back from vacation.

Keep up the good work, everyone. I usually reread this whole thread at least twice a week to keep me going. I might have to read it lots of times in a row when I get back from vacation to get me motivated to return. :D :D

Mrs. Potato Head
02-08-2002, 12:27 PM
Welcome, Noel! Keep us posted! You will not regret joining!:)

Carol, a couple of weeks ago, our Curves, too, changed around the machine order! It really threw me off! My least two favorite are next too each other, too! The squat and the oblique. We are going to get a new machine, as soon as there are 44 more new members from referrals. So far I think that there are 18, so 26 to go. I wonder what it will be!:eek:

I wish that ours opened at 6 a.m.! We don't open until 7:30, so I have to wait until my DD gets on the bus at 8:00. If they were open at 6, I could go and be home before my DS leaves for school. That would be great, but it won't happen! They did open at 8:30 and just moved it up to 7:30. I think 6 would be pushing it!

danicaw
02-08-2002, 12:37 PM
Thanks you guys for the encouragement.
I think I will go for my weigh in and talk with them about this crazy pain.

Our location is getting crowded too. I havent had to wait yet, and hope it doesnt come to that since I usually and on a schedule :). We changed order when we added the new machine. Boy did it throw me the first day.

Welcome Noel!

TnRobin
02-08-2002, 01:08 PM
Okay, you have me intrigued. I have an appointment at 4:00.

Please tell me this won't be one of those high pressure, you need to sign up for two years to get this extra special secret discount type sales pitch.. I just want to try the work out for a few months - not sign my life away.

danicaw
02-08-2002, 04:45 PM
Robin, you will get a % off your annual dues if you pay upfront for the year.
I told them that although I liked the workout, I wasn't going to invent money until I had talked to my husband about it. I took the weekend to do that and returned on the following monday to join. They didn't hassle me about wanting some time.

I hope you appointment goes well. Enjoy and let us know what you think.

TnRobin
02-08-2002, 05:16 PM
We I did it. Since we are planning on moving in the (hopefully) near future and there is not a location within 20 miles of my new house, I have signed up for the quarterly. They tell me there has been talk about adding a location in our new town.

I start on Monday after work. Like CC, they were shocked when I told them where I found out about it. The owner want to know if you guys would mind having some of this post displayed on the wall??

CathyCanada
02-08-2002, 06:31 PM
I'm cool with that Robin. Isn't the internet wonderful?? :)
Cathy

Pooh93
02-09-2002, 10:13 AM
That's fine with me TnRobin. I went again this morning. I've been still averaging 4x a week. I really like it as I think it has really helped my stress level, plus the combinations of it and WW is starting to give me results. Three cheers for CURVES!!!:D

CathyCanada
02-09-2002, 02:39 PM
And 3 cheers for YOU Laurie!! 4 times a week!! I want to work up to that, but haven't been able to discipline myself yet. :)
Good for you!
CC

Pooh93
02-10-2002, 04:31 PM
Thanks CC! I hope I can keep this pace up! I'm ready for the weather to turn nice and stay nice so I can start walking outside again, too!

CathyCanada
02-11-2002, 08:46 PM
I went today and got a cramp in my hip. I think I overdid it. :(
I'll take a day off and be back on Wed!
CC

danicaw
02-12-2002, 10:29 AM
I went back to Curves after almost 2 weeks of letting myself rest. Whatever I pulled or strained was feeling better and it was time for my weigh-in. It had been a month and a couple of weeks since my last weigh in. I lost almost 5 lbs! And my body fat % went down a few % points as well. The only place I lost inches was my waist, but I am not complaining.

I spoke with the staff about my muscle pain, and found out that I was going to far from side to side on the Oblique machine (your supposed to twist from the 10 o'clock position to the 2 o'clock, not all the way from side to side).
But I have to say I was hurting a bit when I finished my workout - same place. So I am glad I already have a Doctors appointment next week, maybe she can shead some light.

Thank you guys for your support. I really enjoy the workout I get from Curves and I am so glad I found this thread to encourage me to join and keep going.

TnRobin
02-12-2002, 11:24 AM
Well worked out for the first time yesterday. With the exception of my left calf, I am not in pain. I think I may have stretched wrong on my cool down.

It was fun and the three laps were over more quickly than I anticipated.

cherylp3
02-12-2002, 01:09 PM
Hi everyone, hope everyone is well.

I only managed 1 day last week as I was feeling blah.. went back yesterday, no I am trying to get back in the swing of things. Goal is 3x this week.

Danica: Hope you are ok.

Cheryl

Jiminy102
02-12-2002, 04:44 PM
Well Ladies my Husband found out I had thought of joining a gym and informed me there was a curves much closer than I thought. He handed me the phone and I go in tomorrow nigh. My SIL is going as well so I will let everyone know what I think!!

Mrs. Potato Head
02-13-2002, 10:33 AM
Jiminy102, Let us know what happens and Welcome to Curves!!!

danicaw, I hope you are feeling better! I think that I might just skip that machine all together! It seems like by the time you get on and get going, you can't to very many anyhow. I ususally do situps at home, to target that area.

Cheryl, don't feel bad! It happens, we get busy. My kids are off school all week and I will only get in 2x this week.

Well, I have completed the 3rd week of the 6 week challenge. When I got weighed in on Monday, I lost another 2 lbs.! I am down a total of 11.5 lbs. (in just 3 weeks). The weight loss is slowing, but that is okay. At least it is coming off! Three more weeks, then I will get measured again. I can't wait to see the results!

Keep up all the hard work, ladies!

danicaw
02-13-2002, 11:11 AM
Mrs Potato Head, you are doing wonderfully. Congratulations.
Its very inspiring.

Please keep us posted.

Mrs. Potato Head
02-13-2002, 01:35 PM
Thank you, Danicaw! I hope that I do not sound like I am bragging, because I am not! I do have to admit, I do feel a bit proud about my success, but I sure hope I am not coming across in the wrong way!!!

Jiminy102
02-14-2002, 09:23 AM
Ok Ladies I went to my appointment to check out Curves last night and guess what....................you know it i signed on that dotted line. Signed my life away for the next year and even had my first workout today!! Well I can not go until next week again as I am having a tooth pulled tomorrow. SO I am hoping that on Monday I can go. I really liked it!!

danicaw
02-14-2002, 10:53 AM
Mrs Potato Head...please do not worry about coming across wrong. You are doing a great job, you should be proud of yourself. It helps motivate the rest of us.

Jiminy...welcome to Curves!

Pooh93
02-14-2002, 04:47 PM
Congrats Jiminy on joining Curves! I'm willing to bet you will really like it! I've lost 4.5 lbs in 3 weeks time! I really think the combination of Curves and WW is working! I feel more motivated than I have in a long time about the weight coming off!

And congrats to Mrs. PH also! It's great to hear everyone's successes! Keep up the good workouts!

CathyCanada
02-15-2002, 09:43 AM
Mrs PH you are inspiring to the rest of us and congrats on joining Jiminy, I am sure you will love it like we do! :)
Pooh, great job!!!
CC

TnRobin
02-15-2002, 11:19 AM
Looks like I am going to miss today. I forgot that I promised my sister that I would go with her to try on her wedding dress at the Alterations Place. After that we have Cub Scouts and then Cruise Chat.

Guess that means I will be getting up in the AM to make the first workout tommorrow before everything gets busy. I WILL get my three times in this week. :) :) :) (now if I can just get all that water drank :rolleyes: )

Ouch on the tooth Jiminy. I do hope you heal from it quickly. Spending the weekend with pain is not fun. :(

Pooh93
02-16-2002, 10:28 AM
Don't brag on me too much CC! I turned around and ate about 3 servings of Valentine M&M's! Now why did I do that! :rolleyes: I wish someone had bopped me on the head!I actually felt sick afterwards because I haven't been eating sugar! I still felt "hung over" on Friday, if that makes any sense! I did an extra round at Curves this morning. Hope that helps get rid of it

TnRobin
02-16-2002, 11:22 AM
I am proud of myself. I did make up my missed work out this AM.

I have decided that Curves at 9:00 AM is not for me. I don't know if it is because I haven't been up and around, but I thought the third circuit was never going to end. Although their music selection rocks. B-52s, Janet Jackson and Duran Duran

CathyCanada
02-16-2002, 05:17 PM
Don't be hard on yourself Laurie, confession is good for the soul. :)
And you did any extra workout.

My turn to confess, I ate TWO chocolate bars last night so I went to Curves today which I don't usually do, I always thought Saturdays were busy. Only 6 ladies and 2 were leaving so it was great!!
You guys really do inspire me, I hope you realize that! :D
With thanks,
Cathy

Mrs. Potato Head
02-18-2002, 08:40 AM
Hi everyone! I hope you all had a great weekend! I only got to Curves 2x last week. My kids were off school, and well, no real excuses, I just didn't get there as much as I should have. I went for my weekly weighin today. I lost another 1 1/2 lbs. Can you believe that I was dissapointed! I really wanted to lose at least 2 lbs. I am becoming so obsessed with this! I think I am insane! I should be thrilled with any loss at all! Maybe that one time I missed going kept me from loosing that extra 1/2 lb.! I hope you all have a great week and keep working hard!

CathyCanada
02-25-2002, 04:57 PM
I've been away for 5 days and am really missing Curves, but I have so much work to catch up on, it will have to wait another day.....sigh.....
And with measurement day next week, I better make it a 4x week!! :)
CC

TnRobin
02-25-2002, 07:54 PM
Okay. Who was it that said they took the Oblique machine out of thier Curves??? Well guess where they sent it. Yes to Tennessee. And yes they put it next to the Squat machine. I think I am going to hurt in the AM..

Well last week I only went once. With Matthews Cub Scout Advancement Ceremony I was hopping around all week and did not have a moment to myself. I am actually now looking forward to my workouts. It is time for ME. Afterwards I get that endorphine high too.

Mrs. Potato Head
02-25-2002, 08:36 PM
Hello everyone! Where have we all been?! I did make it to Curves 3x last week, and I am down another 2 lbs. for a grand total of 14.5 lbs. in 5 weeks. Next Monday I will get measured! I can't wait!

TnRobin, our Oblique machine is right next to the squat machine, too! I try to start on the recovery board between them. That way I don't start or end with them in a row.

We need 5 more new referal members and we are getting a new machine. I wonder what it will be:eek: !

Ladies, have a wonderful week!

CathyCanada
02-25-2002, 09:27 PM
Okay, am I crazy? We don't have an oblique machine, but I would really like one? The squat doesn't bother me, all those years of teaching DanceFIT must have been good for something!! :)
I will go tomorrow, yes I will........ :)
Where is everyone else??
CC

MaryJ
02-26-2002, 07:50 AM
I went 4x last week and once so far this week. We don't have the oblique machine either, but the women who own our franchise are thinking about changing locations, and if they do they said we will get more machines. There just isn't enough space for more where we are now. I get measured in about 2 weeks. Let you know then!

Mrs. Potato Head---you are truly an inspiration! Maybe I should give that Curves diet a look. Giving up the carbs would be soooo hard for me though!

Mrs. Potato Head
02-26-2002, 09:12 AM
Thanks MaryJ! If I could do it, ANYONE can! If your locations holds the 6 week challange, do it that way. It really helps a lot to have that weekly meeting and support group! I will tell you, that the first week was pure h*ll! Once you are past that, it really is so easy. I know how hard that is to believe, but it is!!! After the first two weeks, you get one hour on any day you choose to eat whatever you want. It is amazing how my tastes and desires have changed. Yesterday, I took my hour and I had about 3 bites of a brownie. Normally I would have devoured the whole thing! It tasted so sweet, that I couldn not even eat it!

Jiminy102
02-26-2002, 09:27 AM
I went to Curves 4 times last week and once so far this week. We are starting a Spring into Summer COntest that will run from the beggining of March until the end of may. The goal is to see who can loose the most inches. To qualify you have to go 3 times a week every week! So I guess I will have my motivation to keep going. I do really like it!! Everyone is doing so great with Curves. I can;t wait to start seing some results!!!

CarolMN
02-26-2002, 11:41 AM
I'm back from my trip to VB and WDW. Today was the first time back at Curves since 2/13 and it was so hard to get out of bed and go! I just couldn't do it yesterday. But I feel better both physically and mentally for having gone this morning, so maybe tomorrow it won't be so hard. ;) Also hoping that I'll be able to get myself to do the mall walking again, too.

Did lots of walking at WDW, so I didn't gain any weight, thank goodness. Would like to lose 20- 25 pounds before my 50th birthday at the end of June. Assuming that I don't change my eating habits and just do Curves and maybe 2-3 miles of walking every other day, do you think that is possible? Or am I just indulging in some wishful thinking?:D

I'm going to ask about the "6 week challenge". Hope they have it at our CURVES.

danicaw
02-27-2002, 11:10 AM
I am commited to going at least 3x a week.
Those 2 weeks I took off, I realized how much I missed my cardio. So, I am going to try to mix it up a bit and do some days of both & some days of just walking/biking.
My weigh in is coming up next friday. Ugh.

Our location is playing Bingo! Every member has a bingo card on the back of their sign in sheet. Each day a number set is drawn. Staff has to stamp any matches you have and you need to work out and streatch to get that. 2 number sets are drawn on Fridays and if you work out 3x a week you get one freespace, 4x= 2 freespaces.

The prize is a cool black Curves fleece jacket.
Other insentives our location is doing: hanging Hot Air Balloon cut outs from the ceiling with our names on them. You get one once you have lost 1% body fat or 4 lbs in a month period. I don't know what they will do for the additional losses the next months, probably just put up a new balloon. They also put how much you lost, both lbs and % of body fat on the balloon. Last year they attached ribbons to the stars (replaced by the balloons this year) the ribbon was the same lenght as the number of inches you lost. It was a cool way to see how much people were losing.

So, far no word of any 6 week challenge or Spring into Summer. I will keep my ears open though.
Oh, we also have hula hoops. They are sitting the center of the circle for use on the recovery stations. I havent worked up the nerve to try one yet. But, I hear they are great for slimming down the waist.

Robin
02-27-2002, 01:31 PM
OK... I did it! My mother and I went last night and joined. I have my first workout tonight after work. I was kinda worried that it would be more like a gym... you know you walk in and are the ONLY one with a weight problem. It wasn't like that at all.. the other ladies were really nice.

On a side note... I wanted to strangle the owner/manager, she MIGHT be a size 4 and has never had a weight issue in her life. She came off as a royal B&%&% saying that I had made a choice to be fat. That's when I asked her if she ever actually had a weight problem... She said NO, She knew better than that. I still signed up because all the great things I have read here... I'm just hoping that this woman's attitude changes.

CarolMN
02-27-2002, 04:52 PM
Robin -

That owner is really STUPID in addition to being rude and insensitive! IMHO, she's not going to get/keep customers if she continues on in that manner. We're lucky here as the Twin Cities metro area has lots of franchises and I decided NOT to join the first one I visited because it didn't "feel" right. The owner or her staff (not sure which) didn't seem to care if I joined or not. There was another franchise about the same distance from my home so I went there and immediately felt welcome. I hope that the times you are at your Curves there will be someone nicer there.

Anyway, good for you and your mother. You'll both feel better and be healthier for joining. Let us know how things are going.

Carol

Mrs. Potato Head
02-27-2002, 05:36 PM
Robin, that is terrible! How unprofessional! Well, don't let her get you down! I would just totally ignore her whenever you can and enjoy yourself! You and your Mom will have a great time working out together! Keep us informed and welcome!

Robin
02-28-2002, 08:46 AM
Well, I went last night for my first workout. I met a few ladies and they all have the same view on the owner. She stands over you while your working out and points out all your mistakes... not nicely but says "You doing it WRONG again" in a harsh tone. I just kind of blow her off... I'm there to feel better about myself not have someone drag me down.

I really enjoyed the workout and look forward to going back tomorrow. I am going to go Mon, Wed, Fri, and Saturdays.

CarolMN
02-28-2002, 09:32 AM
Glad you enjoyed the workout, Robin. If you can get into a routine of going at approximately the same time of day, you'll soon make lots of nice "workout" buddies.

As rotten as that owner is, try to listen to what she is saying about "doing it wrong". You won't get the full benefit of the exercise if you aren't doing it correctly and you may even hurt yourself. I was using a couple of the machines incorrectly (that "squat" machine comes to mind immediatley, UGH!) and until someone pointed it out I sure wasted a lot of effort and got nothing in return.

Mrs. Potato Head - I asked about the diet today. The person I asked didn't know anything about it except that there was a book. She let me look it over and then read parts of it to a bunch of us while we were working out. I didn't have my wallet with me this morning, but am thinking about getting it tomorrow and reading it over the weekend. How did you decide to give it a try, if you don't mind my asking?

danicaw - That Bingo thing sounds like fun. We're doing some kind of "birthday" thing. In your birthday month, you get a chance a a raffle for every time you work out. Not sure what the prize is. My birthday isn't until June so not much immediate incentive there for me. Guess I'll have to be satisfied with feeling better and losing some weight. Darn! :D :D

Hope everyone has a great day!

CathyCanada
02-28-2002, 11:36 AM
Robin, what a shame that the owner made such rude comments to you. I mentioned it to our owner today and she just shook her head. But good for you for sticking to it!!! :)

Have any of you ladies gone twice in one day, early am and early evening? Not doing a "burn" workout, just easy reps? Just wondered......
CC

Mrs. Potato Head
02-28-2002, 02:25 PM
Danicaw, somehow I missed your last post! At our location when you workout 3x or more a week, we fill out a raffle ticket and on Saturday one name is drawn. That person wins a t-shirt or a tote bag. The jar is emptied and we start over with the new week. I have not won yet! We also have the balloons on the wall! The hula-hoops sound like fun! It is great exercise! I actually have one down my basement, buy my DD has taken it over. Good luck on your weigh in Friday!

CarolMN, I got the book free when I joined for giving them names of three friends. About a month after opening they held their first 6 week challange, but it fill up so fast, I could not get in. I don't think I was quite ready for that commitment yet, anyhow. Diane (the owner) started another one the end of January. I signed up, and was on my way. We meet every Monday for 1/2 hour at 12:30. It is like a WW meeting. I really have enjoyed it. This past Monday was our last meeting. I will miss them. She is going to start another one in April. I would get the book. It is informative and explains a lot of things. I do have to say that as far as the diet goes, the book (and our owner) are quite vague. I have had to figure out a lot on my own (the Atkins website helped a lot), but the support is wonderful! I would not hesitate to sign up for the challange should you location have one. I just figured I would give it six weeks and see what happens. I couldn't be happier with the results! Iwill get my 6 week mesurements on Monday, so this will show the true results. I still want to lose about another 15-20 lbs. Diane said she would continue to weigh us in and keep a weekly record of our progress. This will help a lot.

Cathy, I have never gone twice in one day, but I have thought about it! Actually, we are discouraged from doing this at our location. I don't think they would make you go home, but I would ask about their policy. I think they feel that it may be too much for one day. I don't know.

Everyone have a great rest of the week and weekend! Keep up all the good hard work! Have fun!

Robin
03-01-2002, 09:29 AM
Wierd. I am actually looking forward to going tonight. It gives me a great sense of accomplishment! AND... It's 30 minutes for me, NO kids and NO work!

TnRobin
03-01-2002, 05:32 PM
3x this week - YAH

Seems like we are running a promotion too this month. It has something to do with Food for the Hungry. Workout 3X a week, lose 5 lbs or 5 inches, and bring in canned foods - get a free t-shirt.

Pooh93
03-03-2002, 08:52 AM
Ours is running a similar promotion. Only if they get 25 new members, they will purchase a new machine. Also, if the individual joining brings in $50 groceries, they will waive the joining fee.

CathyCanada
03-03-2002, 11:19 AM
3 times for me too!!! YAY! I get measured next week so I need all the help I can get!! ;)
CC

Jiminy102
03-03-2002, 12:52 PM
WOOOHOOOO!!!! I made it there 4 times this past week!!! YAY!! I wish ours was doing some sort of promotion for feeding the hungry!! I work with the homeless and love it when places do worth while things like collecting food or personnal care items or even fast food certificates for the homeless or hungry!!! Keep up the great work Ladies!!!

CathyCanada
03-03-2002, 09:46 PM
Congrats Jiminy!! Why don't you suggest it to the owner? We have a bin for the Food Bank at ours.
CC

Mrs. Potato Head
03-04-2002, 09:00 AM
Hello Everyone! It sounds like you are all doing great! Keep it up!

Our Curves is also doing a Food Bank donation promo. I do know that new members will have their sign up fee waived ($59.00) if they bring in two full bags of food. I am not sure if there will be any incentive for current members. This will run the week of March 11-15.

Well, I had my 6 week challenge measurements, etc. taken this morning. I am down a total of 15.5 lbs., and have lost a total of 9.75", and 2.3% body fat. , which is around 9 lbs. of body fat! I am thrilled! I am going to try my hardest to keep this up for another two months. I would like to lose another 15 lbs. by June. The weight loss has slowed down, but it is still coming off. I guess slow is better than none at all (or gaining!).

We also got a new machine. That was a surprise this morning! I do not know what it is called but it is for the chest area. It is hard! And again, they moved the machines around, that really throws me off!

Have a wonderful week!

CathyCanada
03-04-2002, 11:59 AM
Congrats Mrs PH!! You really are an inspiration to me!! Keep up the good work!
CC

danicaw
03-04-2002, 12:42 PM
Great job Mrs PH!

CarolMN
03-04-2002, 02:16 PM
Congratulations, Mrs PH! Great job. That's wonderful news and you have every right to be very proud of yourself. Keep up the good work, yourself! :)

Thank you for sharing your experience. It's part of what inspired me to give the Curves diet a try, too. I started Phase I this morning. Am determined to make it through the week no matter what and even if I only lose half as much as you, I will be thrilled. Read the book over the weekend. The part about raising metabolism and those "starvation hormones" really made sense to me. Hope I don't have too many of them to get rid of! :D :D

TnRobin
03-05-2002, 11:15 AM
Well got measured yeasterday for the March Challenge (it is just a 4 days shy of my month mark). I have lost 6.75 inches, but have gained 2 pounds. ( I blame the weight on the 4 b-day parties at the office this month). But hey I am in it to make my clothes fit better so the inches are what counts.

CarolMN
03-05-2002, 12:03 PM
Congrats, TnRobin! Don't worry about those two pounds. I bet they are muscle and you have actually lost body fat (which has temporarily been replaced by water). According to the Curves book, those muscle pounds are good - they take more calories to maintain than fat and "raise your metabolism". You'll probably see a weight decrease very soon as your body gets rid of that extra water.

And you're right - if your clothes fit better and you feel better, who cares what the scale says. Keep up the good work!

Mrs. Potato Head
03-05-2002, 02:14 PM
TnRobin, that is AWESOME! You are doing wonderful! Doesn't it feel good! Keep up the good work. Those extra lbs. will be gone in no time. I agree, it is the inches that count! Great job!

Robin
03-05-2002, 04:28 PM
I went again last night. This time I really enjoyed it... I was still the youngest in there, but only by about 5 years.. the other times it has been by at least 20.

I am going Mon, Wed, Fri ..... I think I might do the treadmill thing on Tues and Thurs.

danicaw
03-06-2002, 06:31 PM
Great Job Robin! almost 7 inches, thats awesome!

MaryJ
03-06-2002, 06:42 PM
Well, I weighed and measured on Monday and had actually gained inches :( but I attribute that to 1) a padded bra and 2) a different person was measuring me than before. However, I did lose 2% body fat, and that is a first for me!:D I've decided to take the Food for Friends Challenge and make it my goal to lose 5 lbs. this month. This will be difficult because I'm going with my DH to Key West next week, and it seems all we do there is eat. But, I'm hoping if I eat smart, it won't matter all that much.

I just want to say that all of you are such an inspiration. I love the ladies at my local Curves, but hearing about how everyone here is doing, just makes it so much better for me. Thanks everyone!

Now if they'd just put in a Curves at WDW.......

ohiominnie
03-06-2002, 06:50 PM
Man, all this talk about Curves. I've never heard of it until checking this board!! Now I want one by me. There are a few in the general area, but they are all about 30-40 minutes away. I know that would lose it's novelty VERY quickly!!

Maybe someday....

CathyCanada
03-07-2002, 02:36 PM
TNRobin, that is awesome!!! And as for the pounds, muscle weighs more! Good for you all!!

I was measured on Tues. and was disappointed that I only lost a total of 1 1/4" and gained 1/2 lb but I attributed it to being away for 5 days. :(

The funniest thing is I have lost 2 1/2" off my chest!! My DH says "oh that figures!!" LOL
CC

TnRobin
03-08-2002, 07:30 AM
Well they are starting another 6 week challenge. The intro is next Tuesday with the diet begining the next monday. I am thinking about doing this challenge. I am considering the low-cal option not the low carb version (Last time I did a low carb diet I about passed out driving home one day from low blood sugar) Anyone try the low-cal version?????

Jiminy102
03-08-2002, 08:36 AM
Well done ladies!!!!! I have had a couple days this week where I ate out and know I overdid the points so my goal was to go to Curves all 6 days that they are open!! So far so good. I have been there Monday thru yesterday and plan to go after work today and tomorrow morning. I usually go Saturday mornings so that should not be to hard!! Well I got my measurements because of the spring into summer contset that started this week. I have only been going 3 weeks and have lost (I think this is right)

1 1/2 inches form the bust
1 inch abdomen
3/4 inch somewhere else Waist maybe
1/2 or 1/4 off my arms.
Nothing off leg or thigh!!!! Oh and there scale says I lost 5 pounds!!

My weigh in that I report to the WISHers was this morning and the scale says I gained .25....with everything I have been eating and the possibility that it is muscle I can live with this and am actually very happy!!!

Mrs. Potato Head
03-08-2002, 10:05 AM
TnRobin, there were several women in our challenge that did the low cal version of the diet, but they ended up not sticking to it. You still have to severly restrict your carbs and I think they were not getting enought to eat. It may be worth a try though. With the low carb version, you have to always keep string cheese, or something of the sort with you. You need to eat often, the first two weeks are really hard, but it gets so much easier. Good luck on which ever way you choose! You can do it!

Jiminy102 - WAY TO GO!!!

CarolMN
03-08-2002, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by TnRobin
Well they are starting another 6 week challenge. The intro is next Tuesday with the diet begining the next monday. I am thinking about doing this challenge. I am considering the low-cal option not the low carb version (Last time I did a low carb diet I about passed out driving home one day from low blood sugar) Anyone try the low-cal version?????

I started the low-cal version last Monday. After I read the book, it seemed that the low-cal version would work better for me than the low-carb. Plus, I am a diabetic so I have to watch my blood sugar all the time and carbs are part of the equation for that.

Actually, even the low-cal version limits carbs. That was the hardest part for me to get used to (still working on it). My weakness is bread, pasta and Girl Scout Cookies! So far it looks like I've lost about 4 pounds. Have gone to Curves every day so far this week and really tried to work the machines hard (and actually use the recovery stations to recover). I'm hoping to build some muscle and lose lots of fat. One thing I noticed is that I'm not as hungry with this diet. Something about lower carbs, frequent small meals, all that water and exercise seems to be suppressing my appetite. My blood sugar has been really good too. That's a bonus! Happy about that! :D

Hope you decide to go for it. The only advice that I have for you is to read the book - it really helps explain what is happening and for me, it provided some motivation. I especially like the part about not having to "diet" every day for the rest of my life.

GOOD LUCK!

Jiminy102
03-09-2002, 03:01 PM
I did it I did it!!!! I made it to Curves all 6 days they are open this week!!! I know I can not go one day next week so I am aiming for 5 days this coming week!!!

CathyCanada
03-09-2002, 06:03 PM
Jiminy, you rock!!!!! :D

And Carol, I feel your pain, I need my bread and pasta!!!
CC

TnRobin
03-10-2002, 07:39 AM
Okay, they let me check out the Curves Diet Book. I have looked at it and know that I will not be able to handle the almost no carbs. I think I will still do the 6 week challenge so that I can have the support group, but I am going to do the only diet that I have been successful on - the Hilton Head Metabolism Diet. (The leader says other women will join the challenge for the support).

Hiliton Head is really just eating the way we know we should. There are 4 well balanced meals a day which include all food groups - yes even pasta once a week. Only 1 1/2 cups of pasta but it is better than none. It's basis is low fat, low sugar, low sodium and moderate exercise - 30 minutes a day. Gee I wonder how I will get 30 minutes of exercise??? ;) It focuses on Complex carb and eliminating those simple carbs.

Wish me the strenght to break the caffiene habit. Coke is my downfall and my doctor took me off nutra-sweet about 6 years ago.

Jiminy102
03-10-2002, 08:32 AM
Good Luck Robin And Carol!! Let us know how you do!!!

Mrs. Potato Head
03-10-2002, 05:36 PM
Robin, you can do it! I have been addicted to Diet Coke for a very long time. Since I have started this diet I am on, and I am drinking at least 70 oz. of water a day, I have drastically cut back on my Diet Coke, and coffee, too! I was drinking 3-4 cups of coffee a day, and at least 3 cans of pop a day. Now I am only drinking 1-2 cups of coffee a week, yes, a week! My pop is down to 3-4 cans a week! DRINK THAT WATER!!!!! Good luck and keep us posted!

danicaw
03-12-2002, 11:38 AM
I weighed in yesterday.
According to my curves file, since joining in November I have lost 9 lbs. And I am within an inch of having lost a foot.

(Do other locations put your name on foot cutout and put them on the walls once you have lost a foot?)

But, we are still having scale issues. We are on our 3rd scale. The first one people were complaining it was light.
I personally don't care if it is light or heavy, I am intersted in a consistent reading to show ups and downs. Anyway we got a new scale. Scale number 2 is cool, but very light weight and gets moved around a lot and usually by accident. Apparently it has been out of balance almost since the begining due to all the moving around and scooting around. So, a new big, super, duper scale is on its way.
I am enjoying the workout and love to see the inches disappear, but I am not worrying about the lbs lost until we get this scale thing worked out. My scale at home has always been good and I used that for my sunday weigh-ins. Which shows a 5 lb loss since the begining of the year. Anyway. I feel good, Thanks to all who encouraged us in our joining Curves and this thread for its weekly enouragement. :D

Mrs. Potato Head
03-13-2002, 10:13 AM
Great job, danicaw! You must feel great! I know what you mean about the scales. While ours has not broke, yet, it seems like they are always adjusting it. Some women have a fit if it is not balanced perfectly in the center. I say just leave it alone, so we always have a consistant reading!

Our locations is do a food drive promo. For new members they are waiving the joining fee. For existing members, for each bag of food we bring in, we get 5 raffle tickets for a drawing to win a t-shirt, I think. Really, no big deal!

I am still on their diet. I can not believe I am still doing it! Yesterday, I cheated and had nonfat frozen chocolate yogurt (can you believe that is cheating?!). It was so good! When I went today and got weighed I still lost another pound, so it couldn't have been that bad!
I am down a total of 17.5 lbs. in 7 1/2 weeks. I guess that is why I have been able to stick to it!

danicaw
03-13-2002, 10:30 AM
Great job Mrs. PH!

:)

December99
03-14-2002, 08:14 AM
I am so excited!!!! I started back on Monday after not being able to go for 5 weeks because of my wrist and we decided that I would basically "start" over with my measurements - I wasn't able to work out at all prior to starting back and really was not watching my WW!!! I can't believe what happened!!!!!!

Now mind you, I had not measured and weighed since 2 months ago....I lost 10 1/2 pounds of body fat and 3 1/2 inches and 3 pounds!!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: We were laughing so hard (the owner and I) that I can't be an advertisement....telling people that I did it without working out!!!!! ROFL It was such a stitch.... so my total in 4 months is 3 pounds off (although I've lost a total of 18 now on WW), 14.3 pounds of body fat and 10 1/2 inches!!!!!! This was the motivation that I had lost....I was so excited when we were done!!! And I had just started my period and had a donut for breakfast...so I think it would have been a little better if those two things weren't have been mixed in the equation. But I'm happy and I love CURVES.

She told us last night that she is expanding, the space next to us is going out of business so she bought it and will take out part of the wall and be able to add more equipment - she said one that does somethign with your legs and the oblique machine are the ones she's interested in getting....we should have it in about a month!!!!!

CathyCanada
03-14-2002, 09:53 AM
Welcome back Chris! And great job at not working at it, but still losing it!! LOL
I have been sick all week and not up to working out. The only good thing is I have lost 2 lbs because of not eating. :)
CC

glo
03-14-2002, 08:54 PM
Ok, You guys talked me into it, and I dragged my 11 year old to join with me. I can not wait you all seem to have such positive outvme. I can not wait to start tomorrw. I am looking forward to it for a while.
Thank all

CathyCanada
03-14-2002, 10:31 PM
That's great glo!!! Let us know how you make out!
CC

Mrs. Potato Head
03-15-2002, 06:58 AM
December99, that is wonderful! Doesn't it feel so good!

Cathy, I hope you are feeling better!

Glo, welcome to Curves! You will love it! That is great they let your DD join with you. Our will not allow anyone under 16. You guys will really enjoy it together! Keep us posted!

disykat
03-15-2002, 05:39 PM
I joined last Friday. I'll go today for my 5th workout. I'm really enjoying it so far. I was excited when I saw Cathy's post on the CB that you all were posting over here. I'm not feeling very motivated lately about my diet, so I'm hoping exercise will help get me heading downward on the scale.

Ours is brand new and the people are friendly. The only part that bugs me is that the owners don't seem to know a whole lot about exercise. I don't think they are people that have done much exercise in the past and are just learning with the rest of us. While that is much better than having some snootty lady like someone (I can't remember who) was talking about I do have a few questions.

Am I supposed to breathe in or out on when I'm exerting the most effort on the machines?

When do the sit up machine where you keep your arms straight, I don't feel much more than the fact that I'm squeezing my abs trying to feel something. Is there something I should be doing?

If anyone has any little tips they've heard that really helped their workout, let me know. I sort of feel like I'm on my own. Thanks!

Mrs. Potato Head
03-15-2002, 10:51 PM
Disykat, Welcome to the Curves thread! I am glad you are enjoying it! Checkout this website and it will tell you a lot about breathing.
http://www.ivillage.com/diet/experts/fitfriday/qas/0,5090,253474_5469,00.html

Breathing is tricky, but important to do right. This will help a lot.

As far as the ab machine goes, personally, I feel is it useless. I am tall, 5'8" and I do not feel that I can bend over far enough for it to do anything. I do sit ups when I stretch and at home.

One thing you do want to do is work the machines as hard as you can, and use the recovery boards to recover, not to get an aerobic workout! You should feel burning and be quite ready to get off the machine when you are prompted to.

disykat
03-16-2002, 01:48 AM
Thanks so much for that link! It explained exactly what I needed to know. I knew enough to breathe but it always really bugged me that I was probably doing it wrong - now I'll be able to figure it out. I printed it so that I can remember.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that doesn't really feel the ab machine. I flexed my feet and legs while doing it tonight and it seemed to make a difference in the ab area. I know what you mean about being tall though - I'm not as tall, but I must have long arms because if I keep them straight I can't get much range of motion in.

glo
03-16-2002, 08:40 AM
I did it...I did it. I am achy, but I feel awesome!!!! I loved the atmosphere and the workout ...I think I will be able to stick to this. My DD had some trouble as she is a bit short for some of the machines, but they accomodated her and helped. I am so happy I read this thread and was encouraged to try this!!!!

Shocker was my measurements...I have lost 63 lbs and I still have a 40 inch waste...OMG :eek: Either she measured it wrong, or I had a 60 inch waiste before..They almost had to scrape me off the floor!!! I guess I will never have Barbie's measurments...lol

CathyCanada
03-17-2002, 09:13 AM
Glo, don't worry about the weight, it came off my chest first (2 1/2" much to my DH's chagrin!). It will come in time!
Hang in there! :D
CC

laurenk
03-19-2002, 06:10 AM
I start my first day at Curves this morning. You have all really inspired me!!! I hope I can hang in there. Between that and WW I better be invisiable soon;)

glo
03-19-2002, 12:34 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: OMG CC!!!!!
If it comes of there for my, I will be non exsistant...YIKE!!!!
The made a mistake measuring me and I have a 35 inch waist and 40 inch waist..Yikes still a long way to go...

Welcome Laurenk I just started also, today will be my third visit. Does anyone else do anything else in combination with Curves? I also walk 2 miles a day. I can not wait til I get measured.

Thanks for the encouragement CC...I need it!!

laurenk
03-19-2002, 01:22 PM
Well, I started, and survived;) I really enjoyed it. The time flew by. They forgot to take my body fat measurement:eek: That wonderful experience will be done tommorrow.

Glo- That was a pretty big mistake! They would of had to scrape me off the floor too.

CC- It is my dream to lose inches in my bust. The lady at Curves actually suggested surgery, what's up with that?

danicaw
03-19-2002, 06:05 PM
glo - I bike and do Curves.
I have a recumbant exercise bike at home and when ever I sit to watch TV I ride. I try to do about 30 min. on days I go to Curves and 45-60 on days I don't . I take 1-2 days off a week.

But with this weeks "challenge" I am going to curves everyday instead of my usual M-W-F.

CathyCanada
03-21-2002, 08:01 PM
Lauren, the nerve of her!! :) Not that I am big chested or anything, when I gained weight it went there and my stomach. Had the flu and wasn't feeling up to going for a week and have been 3 times this week and hope to do 4. Lost a couple of lbs and only 11 days to next measurement!

Keep up the good work ladies!!!
CC

Jiminy102
03-21-2002, 08:07 PM
I made it 5 days last week and 3 days so far this week with plans to go again on Saturday!! I did something to my knee so I took it easy today and it does not feel to bad. Only a little sore mostly on the stairs!!! Keep up the great work ladies!!!

glo
03-22-2002, 11:16 AM
I have gone three days this week, and I plan on doing today and tomorrow too. I gained four pounds according to my bathroom scale, so I am bumming. Trying to convince myself that it is muscle...yeah right :rolleyes: Anyway, can someone tell me how often you get measured?

CathyCanada
03-22-2002, 11:50 AM
Glo it could be muscle and good for you! We get measured once a month on our anniversary date.

And Jiminy, don't overdo it with that knee! Take care
CC

Jiminy102
03-22-2002, 12:45 PM
Don't worry Cathy I will not overdo it!! If I don't go for a few days when it is my normal time to go I am afraid that I will have a hard time getting back into the swing of things!! I am not going tonight but I am going tomorow but I will take it easy. Promise!!

CathyCanada
03-22-2002, 05:43 PM
Good, be careful!! (said in my best Mother's voice!) ;)
CC

Jiminy102
03-22-2002, 07:37 PM
YES 'EM....lol

glo
03-22-2002, 09:00 PM
So far 4 days out of 5, I have made it to Curves. On Sat it is a mad house there. It is only opened for 3 hours and everyone tries to get it in early, but I want to getin there. Still have not budged from the 4 pounds I have gained, but I will listen to CC and say it is muscle...that sounds good to me...yup..sounds awesome. I have 3 more weeks before my first check in....

Jiminy102
03-23-2002, 11:28 AM
Ok Mamma Cathy!! I am back from Curves and am doing fine!! I did not overdo it and injure myself or anything!

CathyCanada
03-23-2002, 05:26 PM
Good girl, Jiminy!! :D You done me proud! ;)
I went today too, 4 times this week, woohoo!!!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
CC

Pooh93
03-24-2002, 08:33 AM
I still love Curves, but my pace fell off for a couple weeks due to being sick and my DH has taken a new job. (which is a good thing) However, he is working evenings and that messed me up with the kids. However, my wonderful father has come through again and has been letting me drop them off there while I go exercise. Hopefully, this week, I'll get back into the 3-4x a week routine. I really did miss it.

Mrs. Potato Head
03-24-2002, 06:38 PM
Well, I went to Curves 4 times last week. I was really hoping for 5, but it didn't happen! I did lots of situps, too! I had a great week with my diet, until tonight when I gave in to a chocolate craving. I was afraid that if I didn't I would really blow it! I wasted 19 carbs on a chocolate/almond bar (small one). I'm so glad I did. It was not at all what I was expecting, and did not taste nearly as good as I once would have thought! Now I know the next time I feel like this, it is so not worth it!!! I am really looking forward to Curves in the morning, now!

glo
03-24-2002, 10:15 PM
Pooh I just started and I love it. Getting back into it is always hard after you have stopped. You can do it, you sure have the right attitude.

Mrs. Potato head good for you. You did better than I did. I got there only 4 times. I tried Sat, but at my curves they are only open 8:30 am to 10 am. Can you believe that? Anyway, I'll know better next time!! Thanks for sharing the candybar stpry as I am having one heck of a chocolate craving right now... :)