PDA

View Full Version : Lose $300 for my sanity or book package with AAA for dining?

PolyAddict
08-01-2006, 04:06 PM
I am stuck between a rock and a hard place. :guilty:

We currently have a AAA rate on Poly GV ressie booked through CRO. :cheer2:

I have been crunching numbers since January regarding the dining plan vs room only. :surfweb:

I am also an AP rate hold out. Which I feel probably won't happen this year due to this past summer discounts. :teacher:

I can switch right now for about $300 less than my calculations for room only vs OOP dining. :dance3:

I just don't like the restrictions of the package, cancellation fees, payment due 45 days before, losing some control of my own, etc. :badpc:

Natalya
08-01-2006, 04:11 PM
I am stuck in that same spot.

We ended up just sticking with the room only reservation (with MYW tickets) through CRO. If payment wasn't due 45 days before I probably would go with AAA for the dining plan. But the reduction of stress is worth the extra OOP money that we will have to pay for our meals. My kids are funny, sometimes they eat a ton and sometimes they don't. My husband and I don't generally eat desserts and if we do we split it. So, I don't feel like I'm missing out too too much.

Although...if I had the money upfront (45 days before) I would book the dining plan through AAA in a heart beat. We just won't have the money until 2 weeks before our trip so I didn't want to stress about what would happen if we were a little short at the 45 day deadline.

teacher31
08-01-2006, 04:58 PM
If it helps - I heard you can add on dining up to 5 days before your arrival. Just a thought.

Bibbidi
08-01-2006, 06:51 PM
I've been in that same boat both last summer and now again that I'm planning for next year. I've run the numbers several times. What I came up with was that in our case, booking POR w/dining plan and upgrading two of the one day tickets to 5 day hoppers (DH and one DD have leftover tickets) is essentially the same price as booking a AAA discounted room and the dining plan. Now that I've changed to the Contemporary, the discount would be enough ($241) that booking through AAA might be worth the hassle. However, our trip dates may need to be flexible due to an illness in the family and therefore, I'm sticking with room-only, holding out for an AP discount and planning on less food. I'm sure that didn't help. :confused3

One thing I did do was create an excel spreadsheet of the restaurants we'd want to try and the approximate cost per meal. I'd have to spend $1000 OOP on food for 2 adults, 2 kids (5 and 3) for me to break even with a package at the Contemporary versus AP room only ressie, food OOP.

PolyAddict
08-01-2006, 07:20 PM
Natalya- Why do we torture ourselves this way? We also scrimp and save to the last minute. We don't use credit cards.

teacher31-I can't add it and get the discount on the room. AAA rooms go very quickly.

Bibbidi-I did the spreadsheet thing too. I figured based on what I thought we would eat and I came up with $1400 for 2 adults 3 kids with one sit down each day and 1 counter service each day including one sit down breakfast.

krissyh
08-01-2006, 07:37 PM
Last year my problem was the "complications" as well. I didn't like the paying 45 days out since I couldn't figure out a great reason for it - other than them earning interest on my money, the non-refundable $200 since we were going from NY in Feb.
In the end, I booked the package. It was kind of nice to go there knowing it was all paid off, including meals, when we got there. And we'll never go without the DDP again.