PDA

View Full Version : GF or Poly pool for 4 yo with autism?

thumpersfriend
08-01-2006, 11:39 AM
Hi, I have already booked the Poly for April l5-21 next spring. This summer my dgd has discovered swimming and water and loves it. I have a feeling that alot of the vacation will be at the pool now. Question is, which pool would you consider to be better for a 4 y.o. child with autism. The Poly pool is beautiful but gets very busy. Is the GF pool nice also but less busy? What is the difference in the slides? Thanks for any opinions.

dsmom
08-01-2006, 12:01 PM
I have a seven year old autistic son who also LOVES the water. We have been to both the Poly and the GF with him and he loved both pools. When we were there the poly was always busier than the Gf pools. He also loved SAB at the yacht and BC but it was a little hard to keep an eye on him there. The GF pool was the most manageable for us and it was also beautiful. He also loved the pool and the slide at CSR. He has been to every resort and every pool and loved them all :love: so I don't think you will go wrong which ever one you decide on.

thumpersfriend
08-01-2006, 12:08 PM
dsmom, thanks for your reply. I really want to be at a pool that is a little less busy and GF sounds pretty good as well as the Poly. How is the slide compared to the Poly? Is is less scarey? Shorter? I would like a fairly tame slide for her also.

Sammie
08-01-2006, 12:17 PM
I would not consider either slide tame. Both have enclosures or semi enclosures, and empty into water she will need to be able to swim out of, not stand in. You will not be able to go down together or catch her.

Here is a photo of the slide at the Grand Floridian.

http://www.allearsnet.com/acc/gf23.jpg

disneyfan67
08-01-2006, 12:27 PM
I have twin boys and one is highly autistic and my other son seems to have it but not nearly as bad. On our first trip in 10/02 my boys had just turned 5 and went to WDW for the first time. We stayed at the Polynesian and they both loved the pool. I think it was the best part of the trip for them and I couldn't get them out of the water. LOL! Later in the day or at night the crowds are gone and the pool is peacefull. This is were my family would wind down after a day in the parks.

The volcano pool was perfect because of the zero entry feature and they didn't stray too far from that area. It took them only a few minutes to warm up to pool and then it was their favorite spot. The quiet pool is an older pool that dates back to the 70's when they all had diving boards and deep ends that were over 6ft or deeper. There's no diving board or slide at the quiet pool, but I know that years ago they did. You don't see pools like that anymore and my kids didn't enjoy that one too much and there wasn't much for them to do. It's meant for adults or big teens and fairly boring, IMO. We tried it once and it wasn't for them. The Volcano pool is perfect for kids and the deepest it gets is about a little over 4ft something. I'm not sure of the actual number but that's pretty close. I wouldn't even worry about the slide at the Volcano pool because it's pretty intense for some and not for little chidren who scare easy. I would avoid it and not even think about it til they get older. My 13 year old niece did it once and she didn't like how fast it was.

You have two pools at the GF and the newest pool was constructed around the time the Volcano pool was being built. Go to allears.net and you can see photos of both pools being built around 2000/2001. It's very simular and has a zero entry as well with a neat looking slide that is encased by a rock/cliff style wall. It also has a slide and it's kind of built into the rock/cliff wall. It seems popular with kids as well. I probably would avoid that as well. The GF has a secondary pool that is huge and very pretty, but with no special theming. It reminds me more of an adult style pool as well and seems very relaxing. I have never been it but I have seen both pools during a walking tour and like the zero entry one a lot better. I think your kids will too, IMO. I hope that I was able to help.

http://www.allearsnet.com/acc/gf21.jpg

zero entry at the GF.

http://www.allearsnet.com/acc/gf26.jpg

The other pool at the GF

http://www.allearsnet.com/acc/polypool3.jpg

Volcano pool at the Poly

thumpersfriend
08-01-2006, 12:36 PM
Thank you so much for the pictures. Maybe I worry too much about the pools, they both look nice. I just remember how busy the Poly pool was last year at the same time. But the transportation is so good at the Poly. You are probably right about the slides, it would be too much for her. Any other opinions out there?

kaysmommie
08-01-2006, 12:38 PM
The slide at Poly is enclosed. My DD6 is a bit scared of it. The one st GF looks better for my DD as it isn't actually enclosed. Both pools are great though. Do whatever your child will feel most comfortable with.

dsmom
08-01-2006, 01:31 PM
My son is pretty much a dare-devil and liked both slides- like I said- but I believe the GF slide was a bit tamer. He did love the zero entry pool at the GF also. Just FYI - but the pool slides at CSR and POFQ were both much tamer than the Poly and the GF ones and he would not go near the one at SAB yet! The pool slide at the WL is so tame that even I did it :rolleyes1 Even with out the slide my son loved the GF pools very much.

BrianD
08-01-2006, 01:37 PM
Just another vote for the GF. The pools there are generally less crowded than the Volcano pool at the Poly, and the slide at the GF pool is more tame (& open) than the at the Poly.

We have a special needs son with multiple handicaps, including autism. We always feel like we get the absolute finest service & treatment when we are at the GF.

thumpersfriend
08-01-2006, 01:38 PM
The main focus for me though is how busy the pools are. I guess it would be a trade off for GF and Poly. I hear the transportation is better at the Poly but a really busy pool would not work for my granddaughter either. Last year when I went without my granddaughter, the Poly was so packed it was standing room only basically at the volcano pool. When we looked at the GF one day, there was practically nobody in the pool. Wondering if that is the norm for the GF pool? The 2nd pool seemed to be alot bigger also, is that right? What would you all do?

heatherlynn444
08-01-2006, 05:06 PM
if you go to the GF FAQ thread Janet who is currently in Disney videotaped herself going down the GF slide, it is on the last page of posts for the day, check it out! i love the GF pools, especially the zero entry and the quiet pool is HUGE

Deb & Bill
08-01-2006, 09:02 PM
When we stayed at the GF, I thought the themed pool was extremely busy, very crowded and I left it right away to go back to the leisure pool. That pool never seemed as crowded during the day.

Nik's Mom
08-01-2006, 09:40 PM
We've never been to GF, but have stayed at Poly with our autistic ds (he was 4 at the time. He loved the pool, and didn't seem too bothered by the people. Transportation at the Poly was the best! :thumbsup2 Monorail to MK and Epcot, you can't beat it! :sunny:

Diehl2229
08-01-2006, 10:43 PM
I have two Autistic children ages 9 and 12. My daughter 12 loves water slides and I know she will be fine with the Poly pool. I have read many reviews that the GF is not really a kid orientated resort. We will be at the Poly on Saturday so I will let you know how it goes :thumbsup2

heatherlynn444
08-02-2006, 09:24 AM
just to clear this up...i like the poly but i LOVE the GF, and it is a very kid friendly resort. the conceirgre lounge area even has kid sized furniture! there are kids all over the place there, running through the lobby, at the pools, etc. i dont think the waterslide was made for adults! lol. sorry for butting in, but a lot of ppl think the GF is "stuffy" and it is not so, it is just a wonderfully themed place. but i hope you have a great time at the Poly, it would be my second choice :)

BrianD
08-02-2006, 09:28 AM
just to clear this up...i like the poly but i LOVE the GF, and it is a very kid friendly resort. the conceirgre lounge area even has kid sized furniture! there are kids all over the place there, running through the lobby, at the pools, etc. i dont think the waterslide was made for adults! lol. sorry for butting in, but a lot of ppl think the GF is "stuffy" and it is not so, it is just a wonderfully themed place. but i hope you have a great time at the Poly, it would be my second choice :)

I agree completely! On two different occassions, CMs there have given my children a free pin, and that has never happend to us at any other resort. Just because it looks really nice doesn't make it non-kid friendly.

thumpersfriend
08-02-2006, 11:09 AM
Thank you for your honest opinions. I am leaning toward the GF mostly because of the pools and it has a hot tub. ONe question, do all the rooms have a balcony. That is the only request my adult children requested ,and at the Poly you cannot be guaranteed one. Thanks.