PDA

View Full Version : Refillable mugs while on dining plan?

anneofgreengables
08-01-2006, 12:57 AM
Just discovered refillable mugs at the Resorts forum. Wondering if it's practical to purchase these when on the dining plan, which already provides beverages. We were thinking of using our snacks for breakfast, to save our CS and TS credits for lunch and dinner. I'm thinking the refillable mugs will cover our breakfast beverage, while the dining plan snack credit will cover the fruit, muffin, whatever. Has anyone done this?

aubriee
08-01-2006, 05:36 AM
In May when we used CS at the resort we got bottled water to drink later at the parks, then used our refillable mugs to get a coke to drink with our CS meal. We also used them for hot chocolate or coffee every morning (as well as every night when we came back from the parks).

Fruit and muffins count as a snack, so I don't see any reason why you couldn't get something like that for breakfast then use your mug. FYI-you can also get an entire box of Entimenns donuts for a snack credit. I think they had like eight donuts in the box.

bicker
08-01-2006, 07:49 AM
If you're staying at a moderate or deluxe hotel, your room has a refrigerator. I'd spend the money filling that with soft drinks. You'll probably get more for your money, and it'll be more convenient.

bluejasmine
08-01-2006, 08:43 AM
We buy the mugs each time and use them for breakfast each morning as well as when we come back to go swimming and in the evening.. So we defanitely get our use out of them!

Pedler
08-01-2006, 08:44 AM
We stayed at the WL and used them for morning beverages for us and an afternoon drink when we crashed back at the hotel for a break. We did use some CS credits for breakfast and got bottled water to drink.

I think it depends on how long you are staying to determine if it is a good value or not. For us we were there 7 nights so we did get our moneys worth out of it and it beat standing in line at the Roaring Forks (one of the worlds slowest "fast food" places.).

Bicker has a good point. For us we didn't have a means to go off site to purchase anything and getting groceries delivered would have eliminated any savings if it was just for drinks. The other thing to consider is where you are staying. The fridges at the WL were the small cube sized ones. You really couldn't fit much in there.

LizinSTL
08-01-2006, 09:15 AM
Just discovered refillable mugs at the Resorts forum. Wondering if it's practical to purchase these when on the dining plan, which already provides beverages. We were thinking of using our snacks for breakfast, to save our CS and TS credits for lunch and dinner. I'm thinking the refillable mugs will cover our breakfast beverage, while the dining plan snack credit will cover the fruit, muffin, whatever. Has anyone done this?

We did use the refillable mugs while on the dining plan. When we ate at our resort, we got water as our meal beverage and took it to the parks with us later.

Bev J
08-01-2006, 09:26 AM
If your staying several days then the mugs are still a good deal. We would get coffee, hotchocolate, ice tea in the AM for breakfast and get bottle juice or water to take with us to the parks. We always come back for a swim break in the afternoon and usually fill the mugs several times. When we get back at the end of the evening we fill them again. When you figure drinks are in the $2 range each it quickly adds up. Our kids especially like them they don't have to ask for $ to get a soda they can just go fill up their mug.
Plus you have the mug when you get home for a nice reminder when you have your coffee.

Bev

anneofgreengables
08-01-2006, 12:00 PM
Unfortunately we won't have a refrigerator as we are staying at the All-Star Movies. We are staying seven nights, so the refillable mugs seem like a money saver. Since we are allotting our snack credits for breakfast (to buy fruit or donuts or muffins), we can use our refillable mugs for the beverage to go with them (coffee, hot chocolate). And I like the idea of filling them up with cold drinks when coming back to the hotel for a break/swim. I was just wondering if we needed them since we already had the dining plan, but it looks like it will work to go along with the snack credits.

Debbie Jean
08-01-2006, 12:41 PM
Although we'll have free dining, I'll still purchase mugs since I always like having them as souvenirs :goodvibes One way or the other we usually get our money's worth :thumbsup2

loriandmatt
08-01-2006, 12:48 PM
also will be visiting with free dining. we will be purchasing the mug for DH's coffee each morning and for DS to enjoy a soda/slushy by the pool in the afternoon/evening. will work out to be worth the money and won't "drain" our snack credits.

Golliwobbler
08-01-2006, 08:27 PM
Loriandmatt said the magic word....SLUSHY!!!
We use them in the morning for our "go juice" (my wife and I are useless before the first cup of coffee) which we take to thte park...

Then in the heat of the mid-afternoon, we take a pool break with the kids and get slushies!

Trust me, worth EVERY penny.

beth_cam
08-01-2006, 09:42 PM
I barely got my money's worth out of them but when you consider the fact that I came home with a souvenier on top of it it was worth it. I filled it 4-6 times each trip (different mugs). I would eat breakfast alone and take my CS beverage (chocolate milk or oj for the kids) back to the room. Leftovers in the cooler or the ice bucket.

loriandmatt
08-04-2006, 12:31 PM
HA- had to add a comment to my post above.....i went home and was discussing my day with DH and mentioned about this thread and my contribution to it. DH went quickly over to where we keep the plastic glasses and started taking inventory of our WDW refillable mugs. "Well heck yea we are getting them for this trip. We kind of HAVE to have them from each resort we ever stayed in." He even wants to get them from POR and we are only staying there one night this trip. (could not get 11 nights on the package so we decided to check out a resort we haven't tried yet for that last night of our vaca.) I guess we will be drinking alot that last day to get our money's worth.

and yes, the kids will be ODing on SLUSHIES.

- lori

ReneeA
08-04-2006, 01:07 PM
GEEZ! I didn't get one last year since I didn't think we'd use it...I didn't know you could fill it with slushies...thought it was a pop/coffee kinda thing, and we are water drinkers, especially in the heat. My kids would've went crazy for a slurpee all day.

Now I'm going to have to get one. :sunny:

MickeyDee
08-04-2006, 01:10 PM
That's exactly what we did. Used snack credits for breakfast and used our refillable mugs. It worked out very well!

I was actually kinda hesistant about the mugs, but figured they would be a cool souvenir, if nothing else. Well, they turned out to be the best investment of the trip. We used them for breakfast, refilled them a time or two during afternoon breaks and took them with us to the pool, and then refilled them again most nights when we got back to the resort.

MickeyDee
08-04-2006, 01:11 PM
GEEZ! I didn't get one last year since I didn't think we'd use it...I didn't know you could fill it with slushies...thought it was a pop/coffee kinda thing, and we are water drinkers, especially in the heat. My kids would've went crazy for a slurpee all day.

Now I'm going to have to get one. :sunny:

We drank the heck out of the frozen cokes and frozen blue raspberry drinks at our resort! They were great!

english rose 47
08-04-2006, 01:12 PM
Does anyone take the mugs into the park. I was thinking of filling up to take on bus and into park, also could use for leftover drink at cs meal. Just wondering how cumbersome this would be .We will have a stroller and 2 or 3 backpacks between 5 ofus????

faindrops27
08-04-2006, 01:21 PM
Does anyone have input on Pops slushie machines? I read on a earlier posts. That they are not up and running most times. I will be sad, if they are broken when we are there. Anyone know, or have experience with this. TIA :confused3

faindrops27
08-04-2006, 01:26 PM
Englishrose,
I think that will work out for you just fine. Filling, and taking the mugs in the park, and when. You have CS, pour those leftover drinks if any into the mugs. For someone like me. My son, and I are the only ones going. I will be leaving our mugs in the room. Because, i dont wish to lug a big mug around the park all day. But, if i were you, and had strollers to stash my mugs away. I would do it!! Have a great trip!!

beth_cam
08-04-2006, 02:15 PM
If you have a cup holder on the stroller try to get the mug that will fit in it. I got one at mara but when we went this year i forgot and grabbed the first one I saw which was the big fat one that doesnt fit in anything.

shyjade
08-04-2006, 03:10 PM
So Mara offers 2 different sized refillable mugs? And do they have slushies at Mara...what flavors? (Sorry, this will be my first onsite stay ever!)

Lewisc
08-04-2006, 03:14 PM
So Mara offers 2 different sized refillable mugs? And do they have slushies at Mara...what flavors? (Sorry, this will be my first onsite stay ever!)

I don't remember seeing slushies at Mara last summer. They have two different styles of mugs; regular and a car/travel mug. AFAIK they both hold about the same amount of beverage.

beth_cam
08-04-2006, 03:21 PM
yeah what lewis said. Are the fat one better insulated though? We drove back and forth to the parks so we often took our mug with us and finnished up in the car (Leaving it there) and I cursed it every time. No where to put it while driving.

anneofgreengables
08-04-2006, 03:33 PM
Can you use the mugs for slushies at All-Star Movies?

miss missy
08-04-2006, 06:27 PM
I will get them and have dining too. Every am coffee and hot choc for DD, also I like the idea of getting water if I eat at the resort.

You have to pass the cafe when coming and going, so we all seem to walk in and get a drink. If we are using buses, I learned to leave the mugs in the car and grab them when we get back. Not for laziness, but they are usually closing when we return so we try to get the asap.

Catrin
08-04-2006, 08:01 PM
We got mugs for our four day trip to POR last year.... while on the DDP.

For this trip, they were not worth it. Mainly because our location at POR. We were in the mansions, and mainly used an outside busstop - we didn't go through the main building.

Would I get them again? Yes, I am sure ... great souvenier!
Catrin

Meezers
08-04-2006, 08:07 PM
Totally off topic....

What a GREAT idea...to use snack credits for breakfast! Don't know why I didn't think of it as breakfast is expensive and I really don't like it!

Thanks for the WONDERFUL idea...donuts....good....yum....

irishbosoxfan
08-04-2006, 08:14 PM
I have a couple of questions for people who posted here!

Where can we get the 8pk of donuts?--We will be staying at ASMO
Does ASMO have the slushy machines also?
Can we get milk for DD4 in her cup--she doesn't drink much else.
Will MK and the other parks let you enter if you have your cup with you?

TBGOES2DISNEY
08-04-2006, 11:20 PM
Is it a better value to get the mug or to keep a cooler in your room with drinks? Does Disney want you to buy a mug for each member of your family or can families share the mug? Don't flame me! We're used to sharing drinks, and I want to know what will be cheaper. :)

beth_cam
08-04-2006, 11:29 PM
I read here that you arent supposed to share. I didnt even bother to check it out there. I know a mom who got one for each person in her family. I got it for souvenier value only got one. We filled it maybe 6 times 2 dinners and 4 breakfasts and only filled it once with each meal. I didnt mind that it was useful when we did it.

We also had ddp and a cooler of drinks(dr pepper and sprite) in the room. I just wante the cup. I'd go down to breakfast use the cup for ice and drink my dr pepper from the room then grab hubbie his coke in the cup and return to the room for him to get caffeined up.

Pedler
08-04-2006, 11:35 PM
Is it a better value to get the mug or to keep a cooler in your room with drinks? Does Disney want you to buy a mug for each member of your family or can families share the mug? Don't flame me! We're used to sharing drinks, and I want to know what will be cheaper. :)

You are supposed to get a mug for each member of your family. If you have the ability to get drinks off site and keep them in your room I would think that is a better value and provides more choices. We stayed at the WL last year and did get the mugs for each of us. It worked out well primarily because we didn't have any other options. If were able to get soda and juice to keep in the fridge I probably would have used the in room coffee maker and bypassed the mugs primarily for the long walk it was to get them filled in the morning.

But we took the Magical Express and were "trapped" on property. They worked out fine and were a good value for us but we didn't have any other options.

BTW if you stay at a place that allows slushies then the whole equation changes. We used ours just for coffee, hot chocolate and soda.

PortieOwner
08-05-2006, 12:08 AM
Before we mostly used the mugs for AM coffee. Now the rooms have coffee makers and that's less important (I think we brought our own ground coffee to use last time). Also the hike to a snack bar can be long.

Redwitch
08-05-2006, 10:47 PM
I fill my mug with a last cup of coffee-like-substance on the way to the Disney Bus. On arrival at the park, I quickly rinse it out. I place a paper towel in the mug and close the lid. I then place the mug in a gallon size zip lock bag and place it in my backpack. It is now ready for left over CS beverages or my nightly drink on the way to the room.

I get a minimum of three coffees and one soft drink a day, so for me it is worth it.

english rose 47
08-06-2006, 09:55 AM
I fill my mug with a last cup of coffee-like-substance on the way to the Disney Bus. On arrival at the park, I quickly rinse it out. I place a paper towel in the mug and close the lid. I then place the mug in a gallon size zip lock bag and place it in my backpack. It is now ready for left over CS beverages or my nightly drink on the way to the room.

I get a minimum of three coffees and one soft drink a day, so for me it is worth it.
Thanks to you and all. I like the idea of the ziploc bag and I also had the same idea for leftover lunch drinks and the cup being available when returning at the end of the day. Yes I planned on 1 for each of us

ExPirateShopGirl
08-06-2006, 02:13 PM
You are supposed to get a mug for each member of your family.

Now, where does it say this? Personally, if I had a big family, I wouldn't buy one for everyone unless they specifically asked.

Hang on while I don my fire-retardant jammies :rotfl:

bicker
08-06-2006, 02:26 PM
I don't believe there is a rule about everyone in your party having to get a refillable mug for any one of them to be able to get one. Rather, I believe the only restriction is that you cannot use your refillable mugs to fill other mugs, just to get around the need to pay for extra mugs.

ExPirateShopGirl
08-06-2006, 02:48 PM
I don't believe there is a rule about everyone in your party having to get a refillable mug for any one of them to be able to get one. Rather, I believe the only restriction is that you cannot use your refillable mugs to fill other mugs, just to get around the need to pay for extra mugs.

Not that I would do that, but I don't even see a restriction for that. Personally, I don't have a problem sending my 2 kids to the pool with 1 large refillable mug and the two of them sipping off the same mug. (and for the record, I haven't done this. My kids are too greedy to share :rotfl: )

bicker
08-06-2006, 03:03 PM
Not that I would do that, but I don't even see a restriction for that.Well, I don't see a restriction against filling your Universal Studios souvenir mug either. :) or just drinking directly from the fountains by mouth! http://www.survivinginfidelity.com/images/icons/barf.gif

Personally, I don't have a problem sending my 2 kids to the pool with 1 large refillable mug and the two of them sipping off the same mug. (and for the record, I haven't done this. My kids are too greedy to share :rotfl: )You can consider it a learning experience! :thumbsup2

tmli
08-06-2006, 04:01 PM
When eating CS at the resort I get a bottle of milk as my drink and put it on ice back at the room (no fridge, staying at POP). DS uses it for his morning cereal and I use my refillable mug for soda with my CS meal. One bottle of milk will give him at least two bowls of cereal.

laughingmama
08-06-2006, 07:09 PM
does the Poly have slushies?

ExPirateShopGirl
08-07-2006, 12:38 AM
Well, I don't see a restriction against filling your Universal Studios souvenir mug either. :)

I'm sure if Disney sold them they'd figure out a way
to regulate them if they really wanted to... :goodvibes

Merilyn
08-07-2006, 07:41 AM
I have never gotten the refillable cups. How much are they and where do I get one? I know the price probably goes up but about what price?
Thanks, Merilyn

bicker
08-07-2006, 08:35 AM
They currently cost $11.99 for each.

Pooh Friend
08-07-2006, 03:23 PM
I think the answer depends on how many snacks you plan on using. If you are a big snacker or like ice cream, etc., you should get the mugs. However, many people don't use the snack credits because you get so much food at your meals there is hardly any room for snacks. This is what we found and used snack credits for drinks (mainly water because you can't get bottled water with the mugs). It was also easier because we didn't carry the mugs in and out of the parks with us.

drogerstn
08-07-2006, 06:57 PM
You can purchase around 140 cans of coke for $12; how long will that last you? If just drinking cokes, we'd never stay long enough for this to be a value; plus, as mentioned by others, it is usually more convenient having drinks in our room.

Grab a drink from your cooler when heading to the parks and you don't have to worry about doing something with the mug during the day. If you plan to eat in the food court, you can take drinks from your room and skip buying any with you meal.

laughingmama
08-07-2006, 07:23 PM
how on earth can you get 140 cans of coke for 12$ -- I get about 48 for that price at a good sale.

drogerstn
08-08-2006, 09:43 AM
how on earth can you get 140 cans of coke for 12$ -- I get about 48 for that price at a good sale.

Good catch...I confused 12-pack prices with 6-pack prices. :guilty:

We get name brand cokes for $2 a 12-pack when on sale; off-brands are cheaper. If driving to Orlando, we pack some we have purchased on sale. If flying and purchasing at Wal-Mart or a grocery in Orlando, the prices will probably be closer to your figure.

140... :crazy:

Golliwobbler
08-08-2006, 10:25 AM
We get name brand cokes for $2 a 12-pack when on sale; off-brands are cheaper. If driving to Orlando, we pack some we have purchased on sale. If flying and purchasing at Wal-Mart or a grocery in Orlando, the prices will probably be closer to your figure.

...what is a name brand Coke? Coke is the name brand...

We end up using a mug about 4x per day - once in the morning for coffee, once departing for the parks for kid's juice, once at the mid-day resort pool break for a slushy, and once for evening returning to the parks. This likely gives quite a bit more variety (coffee-juice-slushy-soda) which appeals across our family and is perhaps more healthy than downing soda after soda.

During the day, we also end up doing two things with the mugs fairly regularly - using them to fill up on water/ice in the park from the fountains, and using them (cleaned out!) to keep things dry on rides since they are pretty water tight.

We carry only a rear "fanny-like" hiking pack which has two holders on each side of the main storage area where the mugs fit perfectly (been using the same one for 5 years now, but saw them this weekend again at Walmart). This way, we don't have to carry the extra weight of the cans/water bottles around, have them on hand for whatever need might arise, and honestly it is a bit better for our planet, re-using containers rather than getting new ones or using cans/bottles all the time.

It works VERY well for us. To each their own.

PlutoLuvr
08-08-2006, 10:49 AM
...what is a name brand Coke? Coke is the name brand...

Coke is what southerners say for colas.

In Delaware, we called it soda. In Jacksonville, FL (deep south...borders on Georgia), it's Coke.

Took some getting used to, but it's very, very common in the south :)

mickeymom1
08-08-2006, 11:03 AM
mmmmmm! which resorts have slushies that you can get with the mug? what about the beach club??

drogerstn
08-08-2006, 11:11 AM
...what is a name brand Coke? Coke is the name brand....
coke = soda = pop

"Coke" is name brand; "coke" is generic.

When I was in college, I asked a roomate (from Massachusetts) if he wanted a coke while I was getting myself one. Roomate replied "Yes" and couldn't figure out why my next question was, "What kind do you want?".

bicker
08-08-2006, 11:48 AM
"Coke" is name brand; "coke" is generic.I'm sure Coca-Cola's lawyers would disagree. :rotfl:

ExPirateShopGirl
08-08-2006, 01:46 PM
I'm sure Coca-Cola's lawyers would disagree. :rotfl:

Right you are. The word "Coke" has been a registered wordmark (see registration # 0415755) of the Coca-Cola Company since 1945; although Coca-Cola had been using it in commerce since 1941. It's an arbitrary name (regardless of the fact it's an abbreviation) that arose through use. The word 'coke' cannot be trademarked without stylization because it's the name of a particular type of coal and has been in use longer than the beverage we happen to be discussing. Coke (or coke) is not a generic term in the beverage industry, though it is in the fossil fuel energy industry. The generic term would be 'cola' no matter what we call it. <hic> ;)

rer1972
08-08-2006, 02:02 PM
In May when we used CS at the resort we got bottled water to drink later at the parks, then used our refillable mugs to get a coke to drink with our CS meal. We also used them for hot chocolate or coffee every morning (as well as every night when we came back from the parks).

Fruit and muffins count as a snack, so I don't see any reason why you couldn't get something like that for breakfast then use your mug. FYI-you can also get an entire box of Entimenns donuts for a snack credit. I think they had like eight donuts in the box.

Okay, where did you get the Entimenns? We'll be tent camping at Ft. Wilderness, and the refilable mug with coffee and some Entimenns donuts would be awesome!

drogerstn
08-08-2006, 02:09 PM
Coke is generic in the colloquial sense. :rolleyes:

Do I need to xerox this and fedex it to you? :goodvibes

paulh
08-08-2006, 02:56 PM
How many times have i seen 7/11 mugs being filled at the all stars :rotfl:and 1 bloke trying to fill one of those backpack things.I agree that you dont have to buy for each person.When we first visited in 93 it was a mug for drinks for your lifetime (there were posters on the walls stateing this)But now its length of stay :confused3
Paulh

frayedend
08-08-2006, 03:20 PM
Coke is generic in the colloquial sense. :rolleyes:

Do I need to xerox this and fedex it to you? :goodvibes

Hey, in MA when I was little, coke was "tonic". We say Soda now, don't here tonic anymore.

Either way it's wicked good.

If you get jello on the dining plan and it gets on your face, will they give you extra kleenex ?

paulh
08-08-2006, 03:32 PM
If you get jello ?
We say Jelly and its not as hard as you have over there.I say tomato :rotfl:
Paulh