PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Has anyone ever had to cancel their flights?

Lil ole moi
07-30-2006, 01:10 PM
My DBF's car died with no chance of revival! Which means we may have to cancel our trip for this November. We just can't afford a car and a trip.

What happens with my flights that I have booked through Delta? I purchased them June 22. Ideally, if we can't make it this November, we would like to try for the same time next November (2007). Is this something that I can do?

I've been crying all weekend knowing that our trip for this November is probably off. :sad:

Can someone talk me through my options with Delta? Thanks you guys :grouphug:

disneyfreak75
07-30-2006, 01:36 PM
Unfortunately you probably won't be able to cancel the flight free of charge. I would see if they can change the flight date, which is highly likely. There will probably be a charge for this but it should be far less than taking the hit for the flight.

Sorry to hear of the problem with the car. It is always a shame when you have to cancel a trip.

tone.def
07-30-2006, 06:39 PM
Did you buy trip insurance - if so, then no worries! If not, you have to consult what Delta's fees for cancellations are - it could be $50, it could be the entire cost of your flight... Did you check the cancellation and change policies when you booked?

misslissa
07-30-2006, 06:50 PM
:goodvibes I actually cancelled our first trip to Disney. Our flights were booked through Expedia with US Airlines.

There was no charge to cancel them... and it cost $100 per person to rebook through Expedia for full credit within the next year. I tried calling US Airlines and they only charged me $100 total... so I went with them. It was no problem.

I hope you have the same luck! :wizard:

Lil ole moi
07-31-2006, 08:56 AM
I sucked it up last night and made that call to Delta Airline. Here's what I was told:

1. There is a $50 cancellation/reissue fee per ticket.
2. We purchased the tickets June 22, 2006, so we have one year (June 22, 2007) to rebook our flights.
3. If we want to fly in November 2007 (which we do), they will be taking November 2007 bookings towards the latter part of December 2006.
4. Of course, if the cost of the tickets go up, we will be responsible for the difference in ticket prices (but I'm hoping we'll find prices the same or near the same of what we paid).

So all in all, we will be out $100 total for the reissuance of the 2 tickets. Not so bad considering I thought that I might lose every cent of our tickets (over $700). I will start looking at prices again this December up until June 22, 2007 for the best price we can find again (hopefully, it will be around the same price we paid this time).

So all in all, it could have been a whole lot worse. I'm an optimist, so I won't let it get me down (for too long). The initial thought of not being able to take our very first trip together really got me down, but knowing that we'll be there next year makes me happy...think of all the extra planning time!!! :cloud9: