PDA

View Full Version : Donald's Breakfastasaurus

ks12066
07-28-2006, 06:40 AM
Ihave just returned from DD Adventure at WDW. We ate at Donald's in AK and it was horrible. The food was marginal at best and we felt so rushed by the people handling the characters. We would never do that again. We got much better character interaction at Epcot at the character connection. Don't waste your time or money eating here. :guilty: :guilty:

mumeof3
07-28-2006, 08:25 AM
Ihave just returned from DD Adventure at WDW. We ate at Donald's in AK and it was horrible. The food was marginal at best and we felt so rushed by the people handling the characters. We would never do that again. We got much better character interaction at Epcot at the character connection. Don't waste your time or money eating here. :guilty: :guilty:

yikes we have ADR's here :smooth:

matt&jakesmom
07-28-2006, 10:33 AM
I have an ADR planned at the end of August. Just like any of the restaurants some people like a particular one and others don't. I take all opinions and reviews with a grain of salt. I am still going to keep ours since we have never been there before. :)

Denise Thies
07-28-2006, 11:10 AM
Glas I read this one I am not going - glad I found out before its too late.

kvogel11202
07-28-2006, 11:52 AM
We ate here and found the food to be fine- it's a buffet, and had great interaction with the characters. I'm surprised you disliked it so much. It really stinks when you don't enjoy these things!

MickeyNicki
07-28-2006, 01:16 PM
Do you think it was bad because it was too busy or too late in the morning? We are going in October at 8:05 am....I hope the food is fresh at that time of the day and hopefully the characters will get to spend some time with my 2 nieces

zookeeper
07-28-2006, 01:33 PM
We have an ADR there at the end of August. I've read more than a few posts complaining about this meal, but I figure we'll take our chances. Honestly, I don't understand how you can screw up a breakfast buffet :confused3 . As long as my kids are in the same room as the characters they'll be happy.

lovesdumbo
07-28-2006, 01:51 PM
I went with my DD in May. We had a later ADR (10:30). I thought the food was fine. Not great like CP but fine. Lots of nice fruit and donuts along with the standard scrambled eggs sort of things. I don't have it on my list to go in Aug (we're doing CP and 1900 Park Fare for breakfast) but I can see us doing it again.

1000th happy haunt
07-28-2006, 01:59 PM
We ate there in January. The food was fine and interaction with the characters was great. I even had all the characters sign a birthday card for a friend.

frozone
07-28-2006, 02:54 PM
It's a basic breakfast buffet. If you're expecting more than eggs, bacon, waffels and such, I guess you'll be disapointed.

We had a great breakfast there, with good character interaction. Some of our best character pics of the trip.

HunnyPots
07-28-2006, 07:32 PM
I agree with the OP. We had a great experience there in 2003 but a really lousy one in 2004 so we haven't returned. If you want a really good breakfast buffet with much better character interaction, try Crystal Palace at MK. Beautiful restaurant and lots of variety on the buffet, too.

ks12066
07-29-2006, 10:33 AM
Do you think it was bad because it was too busy or too late in the morning? We are going in October at 8:05 am....I hope the food is fresh at that time of the day and hopefully the characters will get to spend some time with my 2 nieces
We had an 8:00 ressie. I think they wanted to push too many people through in a short amount of time.

Rudy6
07-29-2006, 03:55 PM
Sorry to hear that it was bad. We have been there three times, with a fourth time coming up next month. The first time was in July - the place was busy, but had great character interaction. Got to stay as long as we wanted to stay. In fact, I remember the second seating starting to come in and no one rushed us out. I thought the food was good. I cannot recall the month of the second time, but it was a blast. The waiter was always joking around. It had to be the last seating, because they were converting it into a McDonalds at the end of our meal, but no rush. Again, great character interaction. Likewise, good food. The last time was in October. The place was maybe half full. Characters good, food good, and absolutely no rush. I like the place a lot.

dawgfan
07-29-2006, 05:29 PM
Enjoyed the review

jenr812
08-01-2006, 09:50 PM
We went last July and were very disappointed as well. The food was decent and the selection was good. But the character interaction was horribly rushed!!!! Crystal Palace's breakfast was much better - more organized, nicer atmosphere, excellent character interaction, better food, extremely helpful staff... Can't wait to return!

gottalovethem
08-01-2006, 10:05 PM
I enjoyed it better than some of the other breakfast character meals. I thought there were lots of choices of foods and my kids were thrilled to have fruit and donuts. The staff was nice and love doting on my kids. I think one of the dishes was way too salty, but otherwise I rather enjoyed the meal.

It's tough, as I know everyone has a difference experience. It was a great way for us to see some of the classic characters.

Disney owl
08-02-2006, 07:10 AM
This breakfast was our first ever at WDW & holds a special place in our memories. We would def do it again

crazy4dizney
08-02-2006, 09:34 AM
O.k food , very expensive , rushed service , That sums it up... ;)

otter215
08-02-2006, 07:13 PM
I have heard that the motto, "Love and shove," is how many of the character attendants describe dining, but, at AK, it is referred to as "shove and shove.' With that said, there is never an excuse for a cast member to rush you or make you feel unwelcome. It is great that many of you have had a good experience.

Fairy_Tale_Bride
08-03-2006, 03:29 AM
I thought the food was very good, but it was so hot in there! It was like there was no A/C and there were too many people there for that small of an area to get food. The characters were all great, but they went around once and were gone. It was time for you to get out and go! The checking in experience was awful! The staff was screaming, angry, and yelling. We were all irritated, hot, and sweaty. Not a sit down and enjoy yourself experience at all.

IluvDonald!
08-03-2006, 06:04 PM
Unless something has changed from our last visit in 2004, if you tell a cast member that you didn't have enough time for pics/autographs, etc with the character, they will usually accomodate you and make it right. That happened to us at donald's breakfast in 2004 and they certainly gave us another opportunity for pics & autographs.

I posted in another thread, that I make my ADP's based on what our dd(11) would like in terms of atmosphere, fun, variety, etc. Sometimes we might get a bad meal, but the overall experiences have been wonderful. To me, I'd rather see my daughter's face light up in a beautiful smile than worry that the buffet was only mediocre, so I guess that's what I'm paying for when I make the ADR's.

misspickle
08-09-2006, 03:47 AM
lolol i booked there for my son might cancel thats a few bad reviews i've read

aubriee
08-09-2006, 08:45 AM
I'm sorry you had a bad experience there. We've always had good food, excellent service, and plenty of time with the characters. In fact this past January after we took pictures with Goofy (my GD alone, then both of us) she started to sit back down and he grabbed her hand, pulled her back up, and danced around with her a little doing the twist.

Boardwalk Tigger
08-09-2006, 09:50 AM
:wizard: :wizard: We were there this past December ( Christmas week) and it wasn' t crowded,
they had very good food and there was no rush by the characters. Our waiter did some magic tricks for us . Had a great time. We were there around 10am or so. :wizard:

sunny_
08-11-2006, 09:42 PM
I see very mixed reviews. We have adr's for here in September. We've never tried this character breakfast before. I hope we can come back from our trip with a good review!! *fingers crossed*

nluvwithmickey
08-12-2006, 06:23 AM
This breakfast was our first ever at WDW & holds a special place in our memories. We would def do it again

Same here. We are looking forward to giving it another try this fall. Since we have a late seating we may hopefully not feel too rushed.

imageid
08-12-2006, 08:45 PM
I have to agree. We were there in June. The food was a basic breakfast buffet. We enjoyed our meal, but the character interaction was very rushed, we had a 10:30 ADR. Other character meals were definatley better. We will not go back.

Goobergal99
08-12-2006, 09:10 PM
We did this one twice and although we loved the theming, the characters did seem rushed.

DD just had to see Donald though because the year previsouly we were in line to see him, told one more family (which was us) and some rude ppl jumped in front of us and pushed DD out of the way so she never got a picture with him. I swear my DH would have knocked that kids dad out if I hadn't pulled him away. she was just crushed :sad2:

loulipsky
08-15-2006, 11:04 AM
We are returning to Donald's Breakfastosaurus AGAIN for my (DM) birthday on Aug 211 Eaten there every trip since ot opened and my (now) teenagers love it and insist on going there. We have always had great experience with CMs and characters. Donald is my absolute favorite and this is one of the few places to see him!

PortieOwner
08-15-2006, 03:33 PM
I thought it was decent but we won't go there the next trip. My wife didn't like the 1950s ambiance of the place. I thought the food was very good, and the characters were a bit rushed there.

Portie

minnieluvzmickey
08-15-2006, 08:59 PM
We are going to try it in Oct. at 8:00. My main reason for booking this place is to get right on Everest at 9:00 so rushing will be fine for us.

dianemb
08-16-2006, 07:46 AM
We've been here twice and loved it both times. Have another ADR for December. We thought the interaction was GREAT and really liked the food and thought it had the right amount of choices. I really don't let posts change my ADR's, just take them as suggestions. Everyone is different and plenty of people like it too!!!!;) :) ;) :) ;)

MomofCKJ
08-16-2006, 07:57 AM
I called this week and got an 8am breakfast there purely to get us to Everest early. We have several other character meals earlier in our week so I am not worried about character interaction. We really want to get on Everest early. And I am sure breakfast will beat the in room bagels, breakfast bars we are planning on for most of the week!

Sorry to hear your experience was not as good as you had hoped for.

Allyson

kmthompson77
08-17-2006, 01:45 AM
We took our trip to WDW in May and I thought it was great. We got some great pictures of the kids with the characters and we all thought the food was really good with lots of variety. I have small children and when they will sit up and eat their meal then it is a good day, and after that experience my friends, it was a great day!!!!! :)

BuzzBelleMom
08-17-2006, 08:37 AM
We are going to try it in Oct. at 8:00. My main reason for booking this place is to get right on Everest at 9:00 so rushing will be fine for us.

We are going in November and I did the same exact thing! DH wants to go on Everest as soon as we wipe off two pairs of sticky hands! He is probably hoping interaction with Donald & friends keeps DD & DS from freaking out about the ride.

ks12066
08-17-2006, 07:33 PM
We are here for this same reason. They will not let you past the rope there where the restaurant is until after the park opens. My husband made a mad dash along with everyone else and got us fastpasses. The fastpases were for after 11:00 and the line wait was 45 minutes. THis was in July.

3DisneyKids
08-17-2006, 11:10 PM
I have posted this elsewhere, but we ate here in May in it was awful. The food and service both were just terrible. First, we waited over 20 minutes for our ADR--and there were empty tables everywhere. Once seated, we had to wait another ten or so minutes...finally, I went up to someone and asked if we could just go up to the buffet (which we did). Once our server arrived, he was very friendly and apologetic, which was appreciated.

Each character came to our table, of course, but they spent very little time there--again, the place was pretty empty, so I'm not sure why we didn't get more interaction.

This is on our "never again" list--unless, of course, their breakfast switches to the quality of Crystal Palace.

For those who have had a good experience, I am glad for you--hopefully those who have ADRs will also have a good time.

Deb's site (allearsnet) has tons of reviews...and this restaurant is consistently blasted.

matlock42373
08-18-2006, 04:58 AM
We have been there for an early ADR and enjoyed it. The food was hot and fresh and buffet was being cleaned constantly. Character interactment was short but if you are expecting to have more than a minute or two with them you aren't realizing the scope of what they need to accomplish for each sitting. Especially if there are other folks who are not practicing proper character etiquette.

purpliequeen
08-20-2006, 09:57 AM
Hmmm... I've been reading the disboards for a while and this always is an iffy breakfast buffet. Some people come back posting that they love it, others post that it was a waste. I think it really depends on when you go, your party, what you're expecting, I mean it's all relative.

I know now that a lot of people are doing what was previously mentioned- fast passes for EE, which is smart. If you're going for a reason like this, then Donald's can't be beat. However, all the good food reviews seem to happen when the restaurant opens and everything is fresh. When people reviewed a later breakfast time- around 10am, I've read that the food is old and mildly warm.

If the restaurant is less crowded, the characters have been known to be great. But lately reviews have stated that the character handlers are slipping.

As you can see, this restaurant is very hard to judge whether it's good or not. We had no problems with it but we went in expecting the worst so we could be pleasantly surprised. We won't go back- I'm older now and not that impressed with character meals in general. Don't let one bad review make you all of a sudden switch restaurants, take everything on the disboards as a grain of salt.

Brianne
08-20-2006, 01:40 PM
We ate there this morning for the same reason many on here have stated--we wanted the advantage for EE. :thumbsup2

The food's fine---your typical breakfast buffet. Although I do have to say that I don't really like the placement of the cold items since it's right in the middle of one of the dining rooms as opposed to where the hot food is located. However, that's a personal preference.

The area is chaotic. CMs are running around, yelling out names, herding people through to have their photos taken before the meal. The restaurant is very noisy, especially when they start blasting that moldy oldy "Celebration" song. :rotfl:

The character interaction is disorganized. Goofy managed to miss a couple tables--ours & the one next to it, if not a couple more. Luckily either someone said something or the handler realized what happened because he did come back & the handler apologized for the mistake.

The one thing that really ticked us off though was the picture package. The CM that came around with it had a very thick accent---I don't fault him for that one bit; however, it was very hard to hear in there as well. I felt bad for having to ask him to repeat the price a few times. :blush:

I couldn't believe they were trying to charge $31.95 for this package though! If I understood correctly, all that was in it was a 5x7 (or did he say 5x8? I couldn't hear him!) & some wallets, and a signed picture of the characters. My DH asked if we could just buy the one large one---we were willing to pay $16-17 for it because it did turn out well, but we didn't want to pay almost $32 for what we didn't need. Nope! All or nothing. So we took nothing. Breakfast was about $100 after tax, tip & using our DDE card---at that amount, it should've been like CRT with the pictures included. :sad2:

All in all, was it worth it? Yes, only because EE was a :thumbsup2 . I don't know if I'd give it a third attempt though. (our first visit wasn't great either, but I believe in second chances!)

BuzzBelleMom
08-20-2006, 04:39 PM
We ate there this morning for the same reason many on here have stated--we wanted the advantage for EE. :thumbsup2

The one thing that really ticked us off though was the picture package. The CM that came around with it had a very thick accent---I don't fault him for that one bit; however, it was very hard to hear in there as well. I felt bad for having to ask him to repeat the price a few times. :blush:

I couldn't believe they were trying to charge $31.95 for this package though! If I understood correctly, all that was in it was a 5x7 (or did he say 5x8? I couldn't hear him!) & some wallets, and a signed picture of the characters. My DH asked if we could just buy the one large one---we were willing to pay $16-17 for it because it did turn out well, but we didn't want to pay almost $32 for what we didn't need. Nope! All or nothing. So we took nothing. Breakfast was about $100 after tax, tip & using our DDE card---at that amount, it should've been like CRT with the pictures included. :sad2:

Can you still take your own photos? Is the package of guests with all three characters?

DH willl absolutely refuse to fork over that much money for photos.

Brianne
08-20-2006, 06:02 PM
Can you still take your own photos? Is the package of guests with all three characters?

DH willl absolutely refuse to fork over that much money for photos.

Yes, you can take your own photos with the characters---that's never changed. I can only imagine the riots that would ensue if they started charging for that beyond the meal!

This is a photo they take outside in front of an AK logo, no characters. Which, to us, makes it worth even less. I can understand why they used to charge & why they now include the photos with the CRT meal because you are posing with Cinderella. Donald's though, there's no characters. Just your family & a logo background.

Hope that helped explain things a little. :)

BuzzBelleMom
08-20-2006, 06:53 PM
$31 for a picture with the AK Logo?! They have got to be out of their minds.

Thanks for letting me know. I think we will try to skip that little shoot. Or is that not even a possiblity?

Brianne
08-20-2006, 08:48 PM
$31 for a picture with the AK Logo?! They have got to be out of their minds.

Thanks for letting me know. I think we will try to skip that little shoot. Or is that not even a possiblity?

I think you can maneuver yourself out of it if you plan for it. ;) Just have one person go up to the podium to check in while everyone else stays as far from it as possible.

DH wasn't thinking, so we got trapped on the ramp leading to the photo op---another family waiting in line got called to be seated before the photo could be taken. We had a bit of a laugh that they were able to avoid it in the end. :teeth:

Minniespal
08-21-2006, 03:37 AM
Sorry about your bad experience at Donald's.

BuzzBelleMom
08-21-2006, 08:53 AM
I think you can maneuver yourself out of it if you plan for it. ;) Just have one person go up to the podium to check in while everyone else stays as far from it as possible.

DH wasn't thinking, so we got trapped on the ramp leading to the photo op---another family waiting in line got called to be seated before the photo could be taken. We had a bit of a laugh that they were able to avoid it in the end. :teeth:

Ooooh, that makes me feel devious. When I told DH about it just being with the logo, he gave me the 'we have a camera that works just fine' look. We have 8am ressies, so maybe they will not have the camera turned on yet!

Thanks for the heads up!