PDA

View Full Version : Sizzlefest 2006....*New 9/25 DONE*

Yzma and Kronk
07-26-2006, 09:31 PM
Forword:

Our last trip to Walt Disney World was way back in the year 1928.

I know. WDW wasn’t WDW then. It was really swampland in Florida. 1928 was the year that Walt’s first cartoon “Steamboat Willie” was released!

It was actually ONLY 2 years, 9 months and 4 days since I walked through those magical gates and gazed down Main Street USA at that wonderful, majestic castle.

It only felt like 78 years since I last heard the words,

“Welcome aboard the Walt Disney World Express Monorail. Our highway in the sky to the Magic Kingdom. For those of you standing, please hold on to the handrails throughout our journey and stay clear of the doors. For the comfort of others, no smoking please”

Heavy sigh!

When you live with the Anti-Disney (DH), 78 years isn’t long enough for him between trips to the World. It took much convincing that we had to go back to the World. NOW!

To all you Anti-Disney types (if you are reading this, sorry your not!) Know this: When you are up against a “Disney-holic” – you’ll lose! Don’t fight it. It’s inevitable that your hard earned dollars will be flying out of your wallet just like the feeling you’ll get on Soarin’. Just accept your fate and hopefully a little pixie dust will find you.

So, I got the “go ahead” to start my “over-the-top, obsessive, type-A, spread sheet making planning for our Summer trip to the World.

Did I say summer?

Yikes!

It's gonna be HOT HOT HOT. Who cares....I'm Canadian. I hate winter. If it's too hot, I'll just remember how I felt mid-January during a nice icey Northern blizzard. That should do it! Or, just bring my squeezy fan. No worries!

Let the games begin! Wooty-tooty!

I hit the boards……heavily! I actually ventured off the Community Board for the first time in a long time. There were too many fond memories on those Trip Planners. I now had so much to learn……ADR’s (where did PS’s go?), the new dining plan, magic hours and how to maximize those refillable resort cups. Oh ya, I already learned that from Zzub’s TR!

It felt good to check out the Theme Park and Resort Boards after so long. Great to see the “Swan/Dolphin Cheerleaders” were still going strong!

While Board hitting, guess what happened? A whole new crop of TR's (Trip Reports) caught my interest. I got really excited. And through them I ran into a really crazy bunch of Vikings along the way. Bonus!
Obsessive planning and Disney related fun, fun, fun!

So this Trip Report (my first) is dedicated to all those who wrote before me. I apologize to them, great writers they are - I am not, but I am going to give it a go.
Delswife and The Zurg’s were my first TR reads, and most recently Happyhaunts and Zzub! Excellent story telling – I must say! And also to the Maelstromers, a most excellent group of DIS friends. Without them, I’m sure I wouldn’t attempt this undertaking. But, they are a very kind and welcoming bunch of Vikings. I know they will guide me through this Maelstrom, until it becomes……..a fastpast.

So,

“We’re visiting a laughing place.
Everybody’s got a laughing place
A laughing place to go.
We’ve found one that’s filled with fun
And you’ll find yours we know.
Everybody’s got a laughing place
A laughing place to go
Take a frown, turn it upside down
And you’ll find yours we say we think.”

FSUMARCHIEF
07-26-2006, 09:44 PM
Great start YAK! Looking forward to the rest! Glad y'all got home safe!

Blessings!
MarkyMark

sheridac
07-26-2006, 09:46 PM
YAK!!!!

You are soooo right. Maelstrom is a happy, laughing place!!!

Edited to add:

Crap Mark!!! You thread hog!!! :teeth:

All Aboard!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2infinity&B-ond
07-26-2006, 09:56 PM
YAkkitty YAK I can't wait to hear all about your trip!!!!

Great first installment!!!!

HaleyB
07-26-2006, 09:57 PM
Boo
I wanted to be first.

Great intro Yak!

I think I may have once written a TR... a long time ago... :rotfl2: I really do need to finish that baby up. It is almost time for a pre-trip report.

Oh how rude. I am talking about myself. Again. Sorry.

Love the start, Yak. It must be hard being married to anti-disney. 78 years is a long time...

pongoperdigirl
07-26-2006, 09:59 PM
YAK....great start. I can't wait to hear more!!

And see some pics of Mr. Pluto pants!!

J and R's mom
07-26-2006, 10:38 PM
Forword:

“Welcome aboard the Walt Disney World Express Monorail. Our highway in the sky to the Magic Kingdom. For those of you standing, please hold on to the handrails throughout our journey and stay clear of the doors. For the comfort of others, no smoking please”

Great! Now you have me wanting to go ride the monorail again...and I have several MONTHS to go...But I SOOOO know what you mean!

When you live with the Anti-Disney (DH), 78 years isn’t long enough for him between trips to the World. It took much convincing that we had to go back to the World. NOW!

To all you Anti-Disney types (if you are reading this, sorry your not!) Know this: When you are up against a “Disney-holic” – you’ll lose! Don’t fight it. It’s inevitable that your hard earned dollars will be flying out of your wallet just like the feeling you’ll get on Soarin’. Just accept your fate and hopefully a little pixie dust will find you.

:lmao: Yep. They better just accept it...or choose a life of misery...since we Disney-holics will be going anyway....

GREAT START. Can't wait for more! popcorn::

Backstage_Gal
07-27-2006, 12:15 AM
Great start YAK, you are a very good writer, no need to worry, you are very entertaining. Looking forward to all the Plutopants adventures (and your
adventures too, of course)!

Grammyof2
07-27-2006, 07:34 AM
YAK - What a pleasant surprise!!!! Went to the TR board and lo and behold, a trip report. What an odd occurrance. :teeth:

Great start :banana: :banana:

I hadn't realized you went anywhere, were you missing :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

fizz13
07-27-2006, 07:54 AM
I just know this is gonna be good, :sunny:

nicolemarie
07-27-2006, 09:08 AM
My son hung his Canadian flag on his bedside table and I think of you every time I see it!!

Can't wait to hear about your trip - you're off to a great start!! :sunny:

NM

GADISNEYGIRL
07-27-2006, 09:16 AM
YAK!! Great start! Please tell me you're planning to include the GA mini-meet... cause... umm... none of us ever did a mini-trippie on it! :sad2:

As for my son's Canadian flag, I finally removed it from our kitchen table LAST night... yes, 3 weeks, or however long, since he received it. He likes to sit and wave it while he's supposed to be eating. And sometimes he sings, "God bless the USA". :lmao: I think Mark has been trying to teach him O Canada, though...

Can't wait to hear if the kids love love loved!!! Expedition Everest!

BTW~Do ya need a PM? :teeth:

Master Gracie
07-27-2006, 10:16 AM
Great start YAK!

I know you will be right in there with the best of 'em. I mean, come on...your TR doesn't have to work much to be better than Mel's.

Looking forward to more.

Yzma and Kronk
07-27-2006, 10:23 AM
Thanks everyone!

I was so reluctant to do a TR.

Part two will be up this afternoon. Off to the rink right now - DS is skating this week.

Rhonda - yes, part three will include the mini-meet!!

Stay tuned, and thanks again!

GeorgiaAristocat
07-27-2006, 01:12 PM
YAK!

What a great start to your trippie! I hope you all found your laughing place? Where is yours?

(My son's is right there on his tender little tummy. He giggles, then belly laughs. I think my kiddos' belly laughs might be my laughing place. I can't help but grin and giggle when I hear them. But Disney runs a close second! :teeth: And then, the Maelstrom is right up there, too!)

Amy

Minnie
07-27-2006, 03:23 PM
Yak is back woohoo!!!!!!!!!

Did plutopants find his way to you okay????? I was nervous leaving the little guy all by himself :lmao: :rotfl2: :rotfl:

Shelby5514
07-27-2006, 03:40 PM
All buckled in and ready for a great trippie! :cheer2:

monymony3471
07-27-2006, 03:57 PM
Coming aboard. I want to see how you beat the heat.

latoberg
07-27-2006, 04:25 PM
My effort to convert my Disney apathetic wife has resulted in her becoming a Disneyholic.

Bring on the story

kpk89
07-27-2006, 04:46 PM

YAK, this made me laugh. For itself, and because it reminded my of my Grammie. (not Grammyof2, my real Grammie, bless her soul). She was Protestant and my Grampa Catholic and she used to say (in a joking way) "Darn Catholics always get their way."

Giddyup! Afternoon is almost over, and you promised. Skaters, change directions!

Yzma and Kronk
07-27-2006, 05:08 PM
“In ev’ry job that must be done
There is an element of fun
You find the fun and snap!
The job’s a game

And ev’ry task you undertake
Becomes a piece of cake
A lark! A spree!
It’s very clear to me…..”

The dates are set. It’s going to be a Sizzlefest! July was chosen because a few years ago we spent DS’s birthday at the World. DD announced that someday she’d like to celebrate with Mickey and the gang. So July it was. Plus, we wouldn’t have to take the kids out of school…….bahahaha….not that that would matter! It’s Disney after all.

First, the cast:

DH – The Anti-Disney. Went to Disney the first year it opened (lucky him!). Has been back with me about 7 times. To him, it’s purely “Been there, done that!” Workaholic. Will definitely bring his cell and take work calls standing in line! This is a good thing…..keeps him distracted from the long lines. Like bubbles for little ones! Works way too hard, but desperately needs family time. So he’ll tolerate it like the great Dad/Husband he is! Plus, it’s his birthday in July too! Imagine that, the AD (Anti-Disney) celebrating his Birthday at the House of Mouse.

Me – Worked for 18 years in the airline industry (no, not at the airport or inflight - I was an Airline Suit!), now SHM. Disneyholic. Loves the World. Obsessive planner. Tour Guide extraordinaire – Julie McCoy, Jr.

DD11 – Birthday Girl. Takes after her Mommy. Loves Disney. Guaranteed she’ll work at Epcot one day!

DS8 – Likes Disney. Likes, not loves Disney….yet. It would be better if Pokemon or Mario were there. Star Wars will do, but no characters please! Wants to bring his Nintendo DS for passing the time in line…..is that allowed? Ya, right! Now over 52 inches so can ride everything.

So, "Julie McCoy, Jr." and family are on their way to the World.

Aside: Julie McCoy was the Tour Director on a little show from the 1970’s called “The Love Boat” She was the ultimate Tour Guide…..just like Isaac was the ultimate bartender!

As we all know when undertaking such a trip, you just can’t pack a few things and go. There are plans to make and things to take.

So for me it starts with my extra-large LLBean bag. It sits in the closet and if I come across anything I’ll need at the world, in it goes. Most of these items come from ideas and tips from other DIS’ers:

Things like:

- 99 cent throw away ponchos – I hate to get wet and hate to carry wet ponchos around. Besides Disney get’s enough of our money to pay for nice Mickey ones. If you need a mickey one, ask the CM for those "free" stickers they give out and slap one on your 99 cent poncho. Same thing!

- Pipe cleaners. Real cheap from the dollar store. The best “keep the kids from fighting and being bored in the car” things made. You can even substitute them for cell phones in long lines…

- Squeeze fans – absolute must from May-September. And you can buy them at Wal-Mart, real cheap

- Mini fans – picked up some Disney ones in the sale bins at the Disney Store a while back.

- Ziploc bags – 101 uses for these. I brought the jumbo 21/2 gallon ones to put all our stuff in on the wet rides. Boy were people jealous!

- Dollar store glow sticks. Instead of buying expensive Disney ones during fireworks, illuminations and Fantasmic. Plus, they are cheap and kids love them. Spread the glow to stranger kids. See what happens!

- Mini M&M tubes for quarters and pennies for pressed pennies. You’ll know what I mean when you have a Ziploc bag of quarters explode all over a shop floor right after a parade!

- More zippy bags. Again 101 uses! Do not use for quarter and penny storage....see above. Perhaps a wet washcloth with ice-cubes to cool off in line. Keeps the Cell cool and dry too!

- Small note pad for taking notes for your TR

- Mousekeeping “tip” envelopes. Get the kids to decorate them. Leave them for Mousekeeping and just maybe an extra special surprise will come your way made from face cloths!

- Fanny pack! Sorry I’m a traditionalist. Can’t leave home without it! And you never know when you have the urge to Zzub. (Sorry, inside joke – but I’m sure you can figure it out…)

First I make my spreadsheet listing the days we will be in the World. Check park hours. Check extra magic hours. Figure out where I want to dine. Make ADR’s Slot in park visits according to ADR’s. Make rough plan. Check difficult to book items and when they can be booked. For us it was “Breathless” for Illumination’s Cruise. For you it could be a Princess Breakfast. Mark that date on the calendar. Read, read, read. Re-read the stuff you already know. Spend too much time on the Boards. Second guess yourself. Talk to 407-WDISNEY 3 times per day. Become friends with 407 CM’s. Learn about their families. Print off menu’s of potential restaurants. Change ADR’s. Show ADR’s to AD. Second guess his “I don’t really care where we go (s)”

And so it goes for months before departure….

The kids and I will drive down, and take the opportunity to stop by and visit good friends in Georgia. We used to live there, so it still feels like home.

AD finds that he can’t take more than 1 week from work, so he’ll fly and meet us at the World. I start obsessively watching the Southwest “Ding” fares.

A few days before leaving, I get out my stash of 2 ½ gallon Ziplocs to pack. For my fellow Canadians, I have yet to find these here, so next time your are in the U.S. pick up a box or two, you won’t be sorry!

I take out 10 shirts, 10 shorts, 10 undies, and 10 socks for each of the kids and pack a set into each zippy bag. Number them by day according to where you’ll be at the Parks. Example: Star Wars T-shirt at MGM, etc. (I don’t really do this, but have heard from a DISer friend, who shall remain nameless….is into colour co-ordinating the zippy-pack for the kids…..hee-hee) Fold them nice, then roll them up and squeeze out all the air. Each day, give them a bag. Saves time and aggravation in the morning. At the end of the day put the dirties back in the zippy and viola! Packing made simple!

The date is rapidly approaching.

So much to do, and this is what I’m beginning to feel:

(Cinder) Mommyrelly, Mommyrelly
Night and day it’s Mommyrelly
Make the fire, fix the breakfast
Wash the dishes, do the mopping

And the sweeping and the dusting
They always keep her hopping

We are driving so got to get the car all tuned up and ready. We’re having company right after we get back (who planned that???) so house needs to be fairly clean before we leave. Get the lights on timers. Neighbours to look after the house. Cancel the paper. Pet's in kennel's (whoops we don't have any pets...) Plus all the regular stuff that goes on.

Where is AD you say? On his Cell, of course! Mommy get's to do all the prep. After all it was my idea....

Yikes,

She goes around in circles
Till she’s very very dizzy
Still they holler

Mommyrella!!!

No worries, we’ll be in the world soon.

Up next: The Long and Winding Road.

ZZUB
07-27-2006, 06:34 PM
Hey YAk! You're off to a scintilating start. I agree with MasterG (which scares me); it's not hard to write better than Mel. Vomit on the page and you've succeeded.
:moped:

sheridac
07-27-2006, 07:02 PM
Fanny pack! Sorry I’m a traditionalist. Can’t leave home without it! And you never know when you have the urge to Zzub. (Sorry, inside joke – but I’m sure you can figure it out…)

YAK!!!

EEEEKKK!!!!

PLEASE tell me you didn't WEAR it???? It was just for potential zzubbing, right??

Please???

AshClan
07-27-2006, 08:18 PM
Great start YAK. Can't wait to hear how the ride went, and I'm glad SOMEONE is going to report on the mini-meet! Keep up the good work! :thumbsup2

Backstage_Gal
07-27-2006, 08:19 PM
YAK, you are really funny and gifted. Can't wait for the next part.

HaleyB
07-27-2006, 08:43 PM
I admit it.

I color coordinate my kids.
Sometimes.

Max objects to pink and purple.
But contrasting colors are ok.
Just no clashing colors.

I have a scrapbook page to think of, and red shirts are a total pain to work around. Unless everyone is in red.

I heart ziplocks.

:moped: Love the report so far.

NAB
07-27-2006, 09:49 PM
Yak great start. Want to know if thinking of our cold winter works. We are heading down in August. Good tips so far. Can't wait to here more.

jamal
07-27-2006, 11:29 PM
Excellent start, YAK! I think our pre-trip shopping lists are pretty similar, except for the fanny pack!

Keep it coming!

Jamal

Yzma and Kronk
07-27-2006, 11:42 PM
“Do ya need a break from modern livin?
Do ya long to shed your weary load?
If your nerves are raw
And your brain is fried
Just grab a friend and take a ride
Together upon the open road.

Every day another new adventure
Every mile another new zip code
And the cares we had are gone for good
I’ve got no strings on me
I’m feelin’ fancy-free
How wonderful to be
On the open road!”
(A Goofy Movie)

Sorry, we’re not at the World yet, but since we didn’t fly I can’t do the “went to the airport, had a couple of drinks, fell asleep and we were in Orlando” It took a bit longer than that and without the drinks!

Before I start I want to point out that I love music. Especially oldies. I still have my collection of 156 albums in milk crates in the basement. Sorry AD – I’m not getting rid of them! I love to impart my obscure trivial knowledge of music by way of a bizarre form of “Music Appreciation” to my children. In the car. Captive audience!! And I control the station/CD ! I truly believe it’ll make them “real cool” one day. Either that or crack Trivial Pursuit players.

So my “tune-age” selections for the first 5 km’s (miles) were:

“On the Road Again” by Willie
“Georgia on my Mind” by Ray

Since we were doing both that day.

We set off at 8:50am on Sunday July 9th.

I apologize that this part may be somewhat boring but I did take time to write it all down. Those who drive may be interested, so here is the “by the numbers” version:

8:50am – 10:25 – our house to the U.S. Boarder
10:25 – 10:40 – Duty Free
• All Canadians must stop at Duty Free – cheap stuff! By cheap I mean inexpensive. Plus I had to pick up a small portion of Mommy “medicine” Have a Coke and a Smile at the end of the day…..I always say!

10:40 – 12:55 – Gas stop ($2.89/gal)
• This was at our most favourite station in Pennsylvania. Sheetz Gas Station. That’s just too funny to us. Say it out loud. Sheetz. We giggle every time we go there. It’s actually a real name. Steve Sheetz is the president. Really. I read it on the bathroom wall!

2:10pm – passed by Pittsburg, PA
• Major construction. But it’s Sunday. We sailed right through! “Whoopty-Doo Basil” DS’s comment for the day. He was watching Austin Powers!

2:45p – 3pm – Potty Break somewhere in West Virginia
• “Almost Heaven, West Virginia……Blue Ridge Mountains”…..Thanks John!
• Picked up essential non-Canadian travel items: Hostess Orange Cupcakes, Good and Plenty Candy, and Fruit Stripe gum!

4:50p – 4:55 – Close to Summersville, WV – our favourite lookout
• Watch for it. It’s on the left side. About 5 miles on US-19 – the bi-pass to Beckley. Good for a quick 5 minute stretch….and very beautiful!
• Passed through Powell Mountain, WV. 2,276ft elevation.

6:10p – 7:10p – dinner stop at Beckley, WV
7:10p – 9:30p – Stop for the night – Jonesville, North Carolina.

Total Time: 12hours, 40 minutes.
Cost of Gas: $64.12
Total Amount of kiddie arguments: 2 (minor ones)
Total times DS said, “Are we there yet” : 4
Total amount of road kill: I won’t say. Aren’t those scoopy-up guys supposed to work on Sunday??
Total ounces of Coke Zero drank: 85…..hey we were in The States. You can have a Coke for breakfast if you want! Don’t try this in Canada…..or you’ll be haunted by the ghost of Tim Horton!

Places I would have visited if we had time to stop…..but we were on our way to the World.

• Dry Tavern, PA - 10 miles from Waynesburg, PA Nevermind!
• Gassaway, WV – off 1-79 – What kind of place is this???? Sometimes I need a little some of this….
• Whippoorwill Road – near Summersville, WV. Who is Will? And why did they do that to him???

We crossed the Western Hemisphere’s Longest Arch Bridge near Summersville, WV. Traveled through two tunnels – East River Mountain Tunnel (about 2 km’s long) dividing West Virginia and Virginia. The Big Walker Mountain Tunnel (1.3km’s) in Virginia.

Monday July 10th

We left Jonesville, NC at 7:50am, after gassing up the car.

Interesting spot on the way:

• North Carolina’s Auto Racing Hall of Fame. Ex36 off I-77 at Mooresville, NC. Fer y’all Nazz Car fans

9:55 am – crossed into South Carolina “Smiling Faces. Beautiful Places”
11:15am – crossed into Georgia “on my mind”
12:30 pm – Arrived at our Georgia destination.

Total KM’s 1,580.0
Gas: $83.59

At this point we stayed a few days in Georgia catching up with friends.

Up next: Georgia DIS Mini-meet

Yzma and Kronk
07-27-2006, 11:56 PM
I know you’re asking: “Are we there yet?”

No, not yet because first we have to make a DISney diversion!

Let’s see I left y’all back in Georgia.

We left Atlanta at 10:30am for Macon, GA as something special was happening that day.

As mentioned in my forword and in my quest for new knowledge and spending way too much time on the Boards, I ran into a bunch of Vikings. Some of which live in Georgia. Many of which live in Georgia. Of some of which live very near each other. I wondered if any of these DISer’s lived near I-75. They did. So the “Sonny’s Mini-meet was a go.

Enroute, I received a surprise telephone call from FRICKLES. She apologized and said she was sorry she couldn’t make it to the lunch, but she would be calling us during lunch to say “hay”.

I am going to attempt to do this mini-TR for y’all from a true Suthern perspective. After all I did live there for four years. I actually ate fried okra, grits and drank Sweet Tea!

So, this is how it went: (insert your best Jimmy Carter accent here - and btw I mean absolutely no disrespect to anyone from the South. I LOVE IT there and hope to return to live again someday!)

So........

Me and my kin was gonna meet up with three families of Maelstomers in Macon, GA

The meetin time was set at 12:30pm.

There was gonna be FSUMARCHIEF and his wife GADISNEYGIRL, plus their darlin’ baby boy, Wesley. GeorgiaAristocat, nicolemarie and her two+one adorable childrens and me, Yzma and Kronk, and my two chillin’s. With teleconferencing by JAMAL and FRICKLES, and thoughts of sheridac!

GAKitty was able to git away from her awfis for a spell as did FSUMARCHIEF. GADISNEYGIRL and nicolemarie arrived right smartly and we waz all together at the good ‘ol time of 12:30pm I recognized them from the git go by the pictures on the DIS, but me, I plum didn’t know how to do put myself up on the cum-puter. I spect that they’all figure me out right smartly. Cuz I look lack I’m from the Nawth. I spect the little red maple leaf flags gave it away!

We set down and proceeded to have a good ‘ol time. Introdukshuns were done. Pleasantries exchanged and I bileve thar waz a lil huggin in honor of our dear friend Sher! We was bound to git up to no good in the hour or so we was there!
We whooped it up, jess the way the ‘ol boys do it. It was right fun gittin to know those f-eye-n DISer’s. They was all so sweet.

There was talk of Football , the Dawgs and sum uthur team from Floreeda, waz it?, local politic’s , and a touch of religion on a count of FSUMARCHIEF being in the bidness of pastorin’ We talked of ourselves and where wez come frum. Of course we talked our bestest topic - Disney. And our pal’s that culdn’t be thar, the Maelstromers.
They’all culdn’t believe I was Nawthun. I felt like a real true Suthern girl. Exceptin’ I drank UNSWEET tea. Gasp! But it was OK., that dear sweet GADISNEYGIRL joined me with unsweet so as I wuldn’t git tofeelin out of place.

We had some good ol times at Sonny’s Bobbycue eatin pulled pork, and other fixin’s. We et and et. Tawked and tawked. Until we was plum wore out. I brang the chilin’s a little piece of Canader. Maple Syrups, flags and smarties. Nicolemarie brought each of us ladies a n-eye-ce gift too. Very dear of her!

The phone rang and glory be, it was FRICKLES! We’all chatted with her for a spell. Then JAMI was on the phone. Good to hear her lovely voice too! It wuz all so n-eye-c
Amy done mean’t to call Sher, but alas didn’t brang her number. You waz thought uf, girl!

Then Mark said, “I reckin jew best git er goin to the World. Ifin it was me, I’d be thar already”

So that ended our Mini Meet.

Pictures were taken for the memory book and posted in my absence. No, I’m not really that tall 5’7” – I think ya’ll are kind of short!! But I do agree, Nicolemarie – big purse!

Here is the link if anyone wants to check it out:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1120233&page=371&pp=15

It was so nice to meet everyone in person. It’s funny how you become cyber-friends and find you have so much in common. Then you meet in person and it’s like we’ve know each other for a long while. Very nice group of new friends. I so look forward to continuing in October!!

NEXT UP: We finally get to The World.

sheridac
07-28-2006, 06:57 AM
OMG YAK!!!!!!
10:40 – 12:55 – Gas stop ($2.89/gal)
• This was at our most favourite station in Pennsylvania. Sheetz Gas Station. That’s just too funny to us. Say it out loud. Sheetz. We giggle every time we go there. It’s actually a real name. Steve Sheetz is the president. Really. I read it on the bathroom wall!

I laugh out loud EVERY time I see one of these too!!! We are warped!!! :teeth:

Pleasantries exchanged and I bileve thar waz a lil huggin in honor of our dear friend Sher!
Amy done mean’t to call Sher, but alas didn’t brang her number. You waz thought uf, girl!

Aaaww!!! Girl! You are soooo sweet!!!!! Y'all are! :teeth:

monymony3471
07-28-2006, 07:29 AM
I love this. When you went into your description of your dis meet, I read it like I heard whoopie goldberg was surmising it from one of her past movies. Toooooo Funnnnnny! Toooooo gooooood!

Ok, you baited me. Can't wait for more. We're driving down from Michigan on Thanksgiving. Done it before and I can totally relate. Except your route is a little different.

Grammyof2
07-28-2006, 07:46 AM
Who stole YAK? She can't be a Maelstromer. Except for Rhonda, they don't do trippies in a timely fashion. :teeth:

Since I am a wee bit southern myself, WV born, I have been to most of the places you mentioned. Beautiful countryside. But when in the south, you must drink sweet tea. It is a must.

With you all the way on the music. My kids and grandkids know ALOT about all kinds of music. Albums and 45 collection out the wahzoo. I even have a 1958 Jukebox in my diningroom that spins 45's. No new stuff on there :rotfl:

Loving the report!!!!!!! :dance3: :dance3: :dance3:

AshClan
07-28-2006, 08:16 AM
Thanks for the mini-meet report! I'm happy that we FINALLY got some details!

Oh, and the music....my dad indoctrinated all 4 of us at a very early age. Stones, Beatles, Joplin, Clapton, plus some random Broadway stuff (60's Broadway, though...Hair and JC Superstar) and some Irish music, too! It provides such rich memories. For a lifetime. And, as you said, it really gives the kids a leg-up on the trivia contests!!!

Can't wait to hear more.

LaLa
07-28-2006, 10:25 AM
Things like:

- 99 cent throw away ponchos – I hate to get wet and hate to carry wet ponchos around. Besides Disney get’s enough of our money to pay for nice Mickey ones. If you need a mickey one, ask the CM for those "free" stickers they give out and slap one on your 99 cent poncho. Same thing!

- Pipe cleaners. Real cheap from the dollar store. The best “keep the kids from fighting and being bored in the car” things made. You can even substitute them for cell phones in long lines…

- Squeeze fans – absolute must from May-September. And you can buy them at Wal-Mart, real cheap

- Mini fans – picked up some Disney ones in the sale bins at the Disney Store a while back.

- Ziploc bags – 101 uses for these. I brought the jumbo 21/2 gallon ones to put all our stuff in on the wet rides. Boy were people jealous!

- Dollar store glow sticks. Instead of buying expensive Disney ones during fireworks, illuminations and Fantasmic. Plus, they are cheap and kids love them. Spread the glow to stranger kids. See what happens!

- Mini M&M tubes for quarters and pennies for pressed pennies. You’ll know what I mean when you have a Ziploc bag of quarters explode all over a shop floor right after a parade!

- More zippy bags. Again 101 uses! Do not use for quarter and penny storage....see above. Perhaps a wet washcloth with ice-cubes to cool off in line. Keeps the Cell cool and dry too!

- Small note pad for taking notes for your TR

- Mousekeeping “tip” envelopes. Get the kids to decorate them. Leave them for Mousekeeping and just maybe an extra special surprise will come your way made from face cloths!

- Fanny pack! Sorry I’m a traditionalist. Can’t leave home without it! And you never know when you have the urge to Zzub. (Sorry, inside joke – but I’m sure you can figure it out…)

Okay, now this is just scary.

We are SO Borg!

I always load up on the Dollar store glow sticks and let the kids give a couple of extras out to kids around them. They think it's cool. I gotta say the poncho thing made me laugh. Although we've never tried the pipe cleaners. Hmmm. Must be a Yankee thing.

Speaking of which, I really liked the Southern drawl blow by blow on the Mini Meet. It cracked me up. But I gotta say I'm a little disappointed that you left out some of the biggies. You know, the phrases that are unmistakably Southern. Like fixinto. Or over yunder. Jeetchet? Wadjuwant? And my all time personal favorite...it's rainin' harder'n a cow peein' on a flat red river rock. In case there's any confusion about what any of those mean, just ask ZZUB. He can tell ya. He's a Redneck too.

I just found your report and I'm loving it. You're doing a great job, YakkityYakDon'tTalkBack. Keep it up. I'm really looking forward to hearing more.

La2

GeorgiaAristocat
07-28-2006, 05:14 PM
YAK -
Rhonda and NicoleMarie have accents to.

Almost as strong as your blow-by-blow.

Which was hilarious.

I was fixin' to tell everyone about it, but I just knew you were better at the story-tellin' than I am.

Really enjoying the report, can't wait to see how the kids liked EE and the adventures of plutopants!

javamom
07-28-2006, 07:54 PM
Yak! Loved, loved, loved, your Suthern! I had such fun reading that, I think I used a Scarlet O'Hara tempered with a little Golden Girls....lol

Fun, can't wait to read more!
:thumbsup2

lauren_elizabeth
07-29-2006, 01:52 PM
I think this is my new favorite trip report! :cool1: :thumbsup2

Lil' Grumpy
07-30-2006, 10:56 PM
:blush: ...ok, just wanta you to know i read your "begging" over on
ms [me{l} secret code for gary?]...ha! i'm so glad..*** i wouldn"t
miss it..i'm just way behind! oh, boy,can't wait til i get to sit back
and read all your news! me> :happytv: ! thanks a bunch! :)

*and knowing all the great input you have given on the ms board,
well i'm expecting a great one! [no pressure :rolleyes1 ]..but i
know great insights when i see 'em! :hippie:

Yzma and Kronk
07-31-2006, 05:11 PM
DAY 1 – We finally arrive in The World

Are we there yet?
Are we there yet?
Look Elmo, another farm!

No, sorry dear(s) not yet……

We left Sonny’s and the Georgia mini-meet around 2:15pm happy that we just made some new friends. This is a very good thing. You can never have enough!
Hot snot!

Since I know you are anxious to get to The World, I’ll quickly go over “highlights” of the rest of the road trip:

• Saw an actual Georgia Peach tree around exit 142 on I-75. This is momentous because we currently live in one of the best peach growing areas of North America. But not Georgia. It’s the Peach State. When we moved there I was very happy. I love Peaches. But sadly, I think in the whole 4 years I think I saw maybe one Georgia “real” peach! (They are in the southern part of the State – who knew??) For a while I wondered why Georgia wasn’t the boiled peanut state. Or the chicken-fried-steak State.
• Montezuma, GA at exit 127. Huh??? I’ve been to Mexico, thanks. Don’t need to re-visit that revenge!!
• Barney, GA exit 29. “I love you…..you love me”
• A few more “whoopty doo, Basil’s” from DS
• Suwannee River, Florida, exit 439. Because we were “way down upon the…..”
• Florida Tolls: Don’t remember where because we were getting close and all focus now was on the Disney signs! Paid out $2.50 once, and then for no apparent reason, another 50 cents. I just think the State of Florida is preparing us for Disney. Welcome to Florida. “We’ll be happy to lighten the load. Deposit 50 cents, please”
• WE ARE AT THE WORLD!!!

“What’s this? What’s this?
There’s color everywhere
What’s this?
There’s white things in the air
What’s this?
I can’t believe my eyes
I must be dreaming
Wake up Jack (DS…) this isn’t fair
What’s this?

The streets are lined with
Little creatures laughing
Everybody seems so happy
Have I possibly gone daffy?
What is this?

(What’s this? Nightmare Before Christmas)

What an appropriate song for our first impression of The Pop Century Hotel!

I am both excited and extremely apprehensive.
I am staying at a value…….gasp!

Don’t get me wrong (or stop reading, please) I am absolutely not a snob. I wear a fanny pack (see previous chapter) But admittedly a bit of a resort snob. Have only stayed at Deluxes. Ever.

This comes from the fact that I used to travel a fair bit in my past and stayed at many very nice hotels. The four diamond types. On someone else’s dime. I got used to it! However, I don’t get to go to luxurious hotels that are company paid anymore. Reality check. Big time. We needed two extra hotel nights – so POP it was!

We walked into the expansive lobby and I immediately think, “Wow the line up to check in is really short!!” You really get a strange perspective of things when you are a board regular!

I was impressed. It didn’t have the WOW factor of the Grand Floridian or Animal Kingdom Lodge, but it certainly isn’t the Motel 6.

Our CM, Francisco checked us in and then asked me to wait. He had a package for us.

It was Plutopants!

If you have read 1000th Happyhaunts current TR, then you know who Plutopants is. See her bit about riding/not riding Maelstrom in Norway.

Plutopants is a little Pluto Viking. He travels with DIS’ers around The World. He has his own passport and has been to The World many times. It was my turn to show him around and another DIS’er – Minnie dropped him at POP for me.

DD was so excited to get him that she opened the box right there.

So now we had to explain to Francisco why we had this Pluto-in-a-box. My explanation was gathering a crowd of CM’s . Francisco and another CM Alvin graciously welcomed Plutopants to the POP by way of a photo. (please someone PM with explicit instructions on how to post pictures and I'll post some....thanks!)

My park passes from Ticketmania (excellent service – highly recommend) were also waiting for me at check in.

Now we are fast friends with Alvin and Francisco and because of them we experienced our first bit of Disney Magic. Alvin presented the kids with a very special “POP” gift to remember our stay. Thanks guys!

Since it was now about 8pm we decided to grab a quick bite and head for the Hippy Dippy Pool. First, upon entering our room we immediately turned on the dedicated Disney channel. A must for those staying on property. They shouldn’t even bother with any other channels on the TV. This year we got to hear over and over and over and over the “Top 7 Must See’s at Disney” as told to us by Stacey. She really did become part of the family, in a weird sort of way.

Looked around the hotel. Very impressed with the theming. Disney is so great at this and since I’m a child of the sixties, I can relate to everything there!

Went to the Hippy Dippy pool. Far out, man! (I just love saying Hippy Dippy…..if they had a Hippy Dippy at Sheetz, I’d never stop laughing!) I had a well deserved “hippy dippy” drink on a job well done – solo Mommy driving to The World.

Up next: Breakfast with Mickey……REAL early!

Minnie
07-31-2006, 05:37 PM
Woohoo!!!!!!! Another great Plutopants exchange! Could have only been better had we been able to meet up for another Viking Mini-Meet. My DS had fun with him I’m glad your DD did too!

We stayed at the Pop in May and it was also this deluxe girl’s first trip to a value. I was pleasantly surprised at how we enjoyed our stay, I hope you all were too!!!!!!!!

sheridac
07-31-2006, 06:56 PM
I wear a fanny pack

YAK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're KILLING me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lil' Grumpy
07-31-2006, 09:19 PM
wing dingy..it's great!, ms. imp-a-her is groovy .. :thumbsup2 .hey, i know
some of the roads you travel down. my goody, you sure are the orgainized
one? [never expected that from me]. what's up with the sheetz stations?
can't a guy make a living selling gas ? is his the cheapest, is what you
trying to say? or is it something bout his restrooms..what with these
thingys & women? [should i ask zzub?]

i understand your husband feelings *** i'm the same way! por lil wallet.
2 things, if you can't beat 'em, join them..and by now it should be
evident that the real reason i visited the dis boards, isn't for the love of
disney...oh noo :sad2: ...it just, i'm sorta a character that like to pick up
hotties..that's why if you ever see me, there's a $$$ bill hanging out.

:smokin: well, since no lil bunnies are going to pick me up, a guy must
compensate? :lmao: by the way, no need to share this info where my
lil miss cutie pie can read it..so no writing on the bathroom walls or
the monorails [heard some subsutite them for!?].. :moped:

* ahhhh...we wish one of our children was born during july...to throw pool
parties... we been celebrating jordan's half birthdays.

i'm so gald your writing and can't ait to see yor pics! me> :wizard:
and the way my wifey see me?> :donald:

NAB
07-31-2006, 10:51 PM
Yak you are brave to drive down my yourself don't know if I could do it. I would be scared I would get lost. We are driving down at the end of August. I figure it will take us three days? Maybe longer depending how often we stop plus we are towing a trailer.

GeorgiaAristocat
08-01-2006, 09:27 AM
• Saw an actual Georgia Peach tree around exit 142 on I-75.
Yes, well familiar with that - there is an entire Peach packing plant 5 miles off the interstate - Lane Packing. You can buy whole crates of real Georgia peaches. And peach cobbler. Peach ice cream. Peach candy. Peach Jam. Peach syrup . . .

Great story - and of course you deserved a mommy drink at the Hippy Dippy pool!

Yzma and Kronk
08-01-2006, 09:34 AM
Thanks everyone for reading and responding to my little TR!

Minnie - yes, it was too bad we couldn't have met up at the Hippy-dippy ( :lmao: ) BTW - Pluto is on his way to Iowa this week, to spend time with our recently recouperated friend at the Poly!

NAB - you can do it in two days if you push it. On the way back we did 15 hours, then 7 the next day. I would recommend the BUF I-79/77/95/4 route instead of 75 at this time of year. It's probably about 2 hours faster and nicer scenery. PM me if you need any more info on the drive.

Lil Grumpy - Hey! :wave: Thanks for reading.....and you make perfect sense to me. You da man!

Amy - I was getting a little worried about those Peaches. You see them, but you don't!

Thanks everyone.
I'll try to get a new chapter up this evening.

cjhinch
08-01-2006, 09:50 AM
I think I am hooked...........you are a wonderful writer!! I don't know what you were worried about. Loved reading about your trip down to Florida....I live in WV, so I really enjoyed hearing you talk about all of your stops here!! Too bad I didn't find you sooner........we could have had our own 'mini-meet'! LOL

Can't wait to read more of your report!

NAB
08-01-2006, 10:11 PM
Thanks for the info. You were about to go to page to two so I had to bump you up while waiting for more. :)

NAB
08-03-2006, 09:36 PM
Just bumping you back to page one...... :)

Minnie
08-04-2006, 09:25 AM
Yak - Come on girl times a wasting! Get on with the details :teeth:

Grammyof2
08-04-2006, 09:29 AM
YAK - I am coming to Canada Monday. Need a doppler weather report :rotfl:

True Maelstrom fashion, slllooooowww and steady. :rotfl: :rotfl:

jamal
08-04-2006, 09:45 AM
YAK!!! Excellent reporting. No surprise that. You, LaLa and I must be the reason the Dollar store stays in business. I do everything you sad and stock up on glow sticks like nobody's business. Come stay a week with me in Tennessee. We'll have you fixin ta stay here in no time.

NAB
08-05-2006, 02:23 PM
Yak how is the long weekend going.....I think you said you had company? We are still waiting.........Did you forget about us. popcorn::

Yzma and Kronk
08-08-2006, 03:55 PM
Dear readers: I'm very sorry for the delay in posting this. We've been very busy and I didn't want to upset Grammy by posting in a timely fashion (hee-hee) We actually had mucho summer company and a broken wrist. DD did that at ice skating camp. She's doing fine, but threw off the schedule a bit.
Enjoy Day 2 at MK and AK!

“Who’s the leader of the club
That’s made for you and me
M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E
Hey! There, Hi! There, Ho! There
You’re as welcome as can be
M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E

Mickey woke us up bright at early at 6am. Actually, it wasn’t Mickey. It was the stupid phone ringing. However, on the other end of the phone was in fact Mick himself. It made me happy that at least it wasn’t my Mother at this awful hour! Upon further listening maybe my Mom was on the phone because there was another voice other than Mick’s. Oh, it was Stitch! Funny!

Got dressed and tossed a zippy pack of clothes at the kids for them to do the same.

Used the “turbo toilet” a few times to make sure our neighbours were awake at this early hour too.

Aside: I had read that the POP had these type of toilets…..and they are! Kind of loud. But gets the business done with very little fear of things not going down as they should!!!

In 10 minutes we were off. To the car.

After reading and over analyzing the bus patterns at POP, I was too afraid to try them. Disney Dining put the fear of Davey Jones in me when making our early ADR by saying we would have to allow AT LEAST 1 hour to get to the Contemporary for breakfast. Do they know we are not morning people?
Plus our car was parked just outside our room.

We had a nice drive to the Contemporary, except for the fog………inside my car. It was about 85 out already. Humidity was really high. No problem I rolled down the windows! But my hair………that was another story! :scared1:

During the drive I noticed many CM’s on their way to work. How nice to be driving through those Magical gates and gazing at those purple Disney signs coming to work each morning. I also wondered if they think so.

The CR security checked us off their list because you need a reason to park at the CR if you aren’t staying there. It’s fun to be on a list. I felt so special!
And bonus, a parking spot right near the entrance.

We arrived at Chef’s a few minutes before opening. We were then shuffled off in a early attempt at a Disney cash grab……oops family photo. Don’t they know we just got up and don’t really want that moment photographed for all to see. Plus, my hair!

Breakfast was good. They had Krispy Kreme’s. And Mickey Waffles.

Character interaction was excellent with Mick, Minn, Pluto, Goofy and Chuck and Dave. MMMMMOOOOOOMMMMM. – it’s Chip and Dale – please stop calling them that!! (LY/MI – hee-hee)

We walked to the Magic Kingdom and it took about 8 minutes. I looked down most of the way admiring the tiles of many guests who visited before us, circa 1995. Plus, I didn’t want to squish any of the many gecko’s who were out Disney frolicking in the early morning!

Today was a EE morning so we were in just after 8am.

I had read so much about Photopass that I immediately got myself a card and a few poses on Main Street.

Photopass is a great thing if you take advantage of it. You ask for a Photopass card and every time you see a “Photo” CM (you can’t miss them) give them your card and have them take a picture or 12. Our intention was not to pay for the individual photo’s but to load it up with as many pictures as we can and maybe purchase the CD for $99. Take the opportunity to get the photo’s done. So many people don’t. If they aren’t busy they’ll be glad to take individual shots too. We used one card for the whole trip and at the end had about 65 pictures on the CD. For $99. What a Disney deal!

We proceed over to Tomorrowland and rode Astro Orbitor and Buzz a few times, and then Space Mountain. This would be DS’s first time on Space. Last trip he was too short. He loved it. I think. I, being the non-roller coaster type, didn’t ride. But you can walk right up to the ride boarding area with your kids, then take the chicken exit. Then walk to the place where they exit the ride and wait. Disney also provides a bench to sit on. Very nice! It’s fun watching people get off the ride and their reactions to it.

We walked through Fantasyland and rode a few favourites. DD finally agreed to ride the Haunted Mansion. Give her a high speed roller coaster any day…….but grave yards and ghosts, forget it. After I asked her if she enjoyed it, and she said, “ya, it was OK but I didn’t see or hear much” Huh??? She closed her eyes and plugged her ears the entire ride. This is not my child!!

Next over to one of our favourites: SPLASH Mountain!

The line was pretty long – about 40 minutes, so I went and got fastpasses and we stood in line.

In the line we encountered something that happens at Disney World in July. School groups from Brazil! Thousands of them! They travel in packs and in matching outfits. They are so cute and really well behaved. But there is something a little unsettling to be going for a line and you see a pack of same- dressed-teens heading your way! They sure do enjoy their time in line…..chanting and singing and generally having a great time. We should all learn from this! Enjoy the line!

How do you do?
Mighty pleasant greetin'
How do you do?
Say it when you're meetin'
How do you do?
With every one repeatin'
Pretty good sure as you're born.

(Song of the South)

So, we waited with the Brazilians picking up a little Portuguese on the way…..not really, but we had fun!

Then we got wet. Mostly on the bum. Can Disney not install some of those turbo dryers for the end of the ride? I hate sitting on the wet seats. Was it water you were sitting in or the effects of that 52 foot drop? Who knows? All I know is that I really love this ride. Zip-a-dee-doo-dah, Zip-a-dee-ay! My oh my, what a wonderful day!

The wait for BTMR was too long so we headed over to Pirates to check out the new Captain Jack’s. We just missed the new Pirates show happening outside and the wait was over 40 minutes, so we passed for now.

It was lunch time, so we decided to give Peco’s Bill a try. The only problem was that we broke the cash register – it got stuck and wouldn’t open, probably because we were the only ones actually paying cash and not on the dining plan. They were none too quick to fix the problem either. The nice CM just explained to us 10 times that he had to wait for the key. Who had the key was the big question. After standing there for what seemed liked about 2 hours and hearing them call out our pickup number 6 times, I suggested a good swift kick to the side of the register. Sometimes people take me too seriously. Seriously. The CM didn’t like my idea. They finally moved us and got us new food and all was well with the World.

After lunch we headed over to Splash again to use our fast passes.

I love the feeling when you just walk right past people who have to wait for ever to get on a ride. It’s nice, but not. Wonderful, but cruel in a weird sort of way. The kids giggled and did the silent “na-na-na-boo-boo” in their heads all the way to the front. I looked at the people in a half shrug, waving our fastpasses in the air, trying to let those poor people know that we paid our dues for these FP’s – we had to wait a few hours for this privilege. Not in line. Like you. Not in the hot, in a nice AC restaurant. As it says on the wall in line at Splash,

“Some cridders ain’t never gonna learn”

Use fastpasses when you can and chant like Brazilian teenagers. It helps!

It was now surpassing 100F, so we headed back to the POP for a rest, and check with Stacey in case we missed anything important. Now what was the 5th Must see?

After some R&R and "Stacey watching" we decided to head over to the Animal Kingdom, since we had ADR’s for Rainforest Café at 6:30pm

We entered AK about 3:30pm and headed straight for Dinoland. We decided that Everest would be out of fastpasses at the time (we didn’t check) and DD wanted to do that first on her birthday, which was in a couple of days. Dinoland is one our favorite Disney places. We get it! Some don’t. We do and therefore have heaps of fun there. It must have been all the Flintstones I watched as a kid. I can relate!

DD and DS proceeded to ride Primevil Whirl 5 times! It almost became Primeveil Hurl! Stop at 4 OK!
We then went to Dinosaur. I love this ride. It’s as close to a roller coaster as I will get. The kids on the other hand didn’t really enjoy it because it’s really loud, dark and a bit scary. They rode it for me. How sweet of them!

Then we decided to give It’s Tough to be a Bug a try. During our last visit we had one of those kid reactions that every parent dreads…….we had to leave in the middle. Both kids HATED it. Too scary. This time it was OK because they were older, but they still remembered the last time. . Next time will be better. As we walked out – boom – major rain storm.

This happens in Florida in July almost daily, around 4pm. This particular storm also had a lot of lighting, so we stayed put for about 10 minutes. Then put on our 99 cent ponchos and we were off to the Rainforest café.

We’ve been to this restaurant a few times. It’s the same as the RC’s in any other city. Nothing special about the Disney one. But it is fun if you are a newbie. The kids enjoyed it.

The kids like the monkey’s, elephants and fish. I enjoyed people watching in the ADR line. Mrs. “I’M A RAINFOREST FREQUENT GUEST CARDHOLDER” (or whatever it was that she had that made her so special) made me laugh as she was pushing her way to the front, demanding to be seated right away. She had the card. THE CARD!! OOoohhh. She couldn’t wait that extra milla-second it took to clear the line. Relax lady. Have a look at the pretty fish! Oh, I guess she’s seen them before.

After dinner we drove to the airport to pick up AD.

Not really knowing how to get to the airport, I naturally followed the airport signs. Big mistake and costly too.

The signs take you the furthest route possible and you pay the most tolls. Dah!
I felt like it took forever and I dropped about the equivalent of the cost of The Kitchen Sink at Beaches and Cream, on tolls.

AD knows the area well, so on the way back it was a straight run and only 75 cents!

Whatever!

Before turning in and hearing about the “7th Must See” from Stacey we went for a dip at the Hippy Dippy pool. AD got over the shock of being at a Value hotel at the Hippy Dippy Bar!

Up next – changing hotels, La Nouba and Extra Magic…..not!

Frickles
08-11-2006, 10:27 PM
Oh sweet Yak I finally made it here!!! I am loving your report! I hate so badly that I missed the mini-meet! Thanks for the re-cap! You have a wonderful way of telling about your trip and I'm glad that we have many more days to hear about! I've already learned some awesome tips from you! Thank you!

KittyKitty
08-12-2006, 03:00 PM
Guess I better subcribe. What a great beginning.

Thanks for taking the time to write the report.

GeorgiaAristocat
08-13-2006, 09:06 AM
YAK ~ another excellent installment. I need to study that route to the airport. I will be taking my Mom and niece there for their 7 am flight departure. (O-dark-hundred for those of you wondering).

Can't wait to hear about the adventures with the anti -Disney.

Grammyof2
08-13-2006, 09:52 AM
Hey YAK - We ate at Rainforest in Canada :rotfl: :rotfl:

Since we got back in the States, I ask everywhere we go "How much Canadian" DH is NOT amused :confused3

sheridac
08-13-2006, 09:54 AM
YAK!!!!!!

Do people REALLY care aboot wet butts?? Were you wearing white pants??? With pink, purple, green, yellow and red stripe panties????

Oh, you were?? My bad!! :teeth:

eeyore45
08-13-2006, 11:30 AM
*sigh, i really should stay out of the Trip Report forum - I just get so jealous... of the friendships!! I feel left out!! I want to do a search for plutopants and I want to join all y'all - you seem like such a fun loving, friendly group of dis'ers!!! I want to join in here and there - but alas, I'm just a wannabee....

I LOVE YOUR REPORT!! :Pinkbounc I have those albums down in the basement too, so does dh - we're not pack rats, really, nope, not us!! :rolleyes1

I've traded my fannypak for a "baggallini" I'm still going to pack my fannypak! :rotfl:

My ds' played hockey in their yoot years - and we had quite a few Canadians on the team - what fun!! So nice on a hot steamy July/Aug day to sit in an ice rink - heading there at noon today to meet a friend who's dd is playin!! :love:

Loved the commentary on the trip down, and kudos for your fortutide in DRIVING!! :moped: That is an impressive drive!! I quite expected to hear that the Ding fare was too good to pass up!!

Cant wait to read more - oh and thanks for the heads up on the packing list, must go to $1 store, I was afraid 41 days was too early to begin packing, but I love the idea of putting a bag in the closet!! :bounce:

and this song kept going thru my mind, so I thought to include it: Rainbow Connection, Muppet Movie
Kermit: Why are there so many songs about rainbows
And what's on the other side?
Rainbows are visions, but only illusions,
And rainbows have nothing to hide.
So we've been told and some choose to believe it
I know they're wrong, wait and see.
Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection,
The lovers, the dreamers and me.

Who said that every wish would be heard and answered
When wished on the morning star?
Somebody thought of that, and someone believed it,
And look what it's done so far.
What's so amazing that keeps us stargazing
And what do we think we might see?
Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection,
The lovers, the dreamers, and me.

:dance3: :sunny:

Yzma and Kronk
08-14-2006, 07:29 PM
*sigh, i really should stay out of the Trip Report forum - I just get so jealous... of the friendships!! I feel left out!! I want to do a search for plutopants and I want to join all y'all - you seem like such a fun loving, friendly group of dis'ers!!! I want to join in here and there - but alas, I'm just a wannabee....

Thanks eeyore45! Come on over to the Maelstromers. We LOVE new people. We vikings are a very welcoming bunch. Come and give us a try.

If you want to see the "pictorial" version of Plutopants start here:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1120233&page=516&pp=15

Post #7740, 7742, 7745, 7746, 7747, 7748

Page 520, post #7787 and #7788

Enjoy!

Sher - It's true. Me no like wet bums. Mine or others!! Ooot and abooot!

Amy - I'll get you the "official" driving directions from DH to avoid $$$$

Grammy, KittyKitty and Frickles: Thanks for stopping by.

Here is the next installment.....

Yzma and Kronk
08-14-2006, 07:40 PM
Day 3 – Friday July 14th.

Changing hotels, La Nouba and Extra Magic…..not!

What do the ghost’s at the Haunted Mansion eat for breakfast?
- Bagels and Scream cheese, of course!

Have you read Buzz Lightyear’s new book about anti gravity?
- you can’t put it down.

Pal Mickey……you gotta love him!

Whatever you do, I’ll do it too
Show me everything and tell me how
It all means something
And yet nothing to me

I can tell there’s so much to learn
It’s all so close and yet so far
I see myself as people see me
Oh, I just know there’s something bigger out there.

(Strangers Like Me – Tarzan)

This is AD’s first full day at Disney and he’s a happy camper because we are movin’ on up to Downtown Disney! A deluxe hotel in the sky.

It’s not that he didn’t like POP. He thought it was OK. Just OK.
I guess that’s OK. Just OK.

However, this particular day started out reinforcing why AD doesn’t really like the Disney experience.

We decided to go to the POP Food Court (by the Hippy Dippy :lmao: pool ) for breakfast. We had been to the FC for a snack the night before and the experience was fine.

However, I knew this was coming. I read it on the DIS. How busy the FC gets at breakfast. And it was. Like Grand Central Station! And I could have counted the minutes before AD would have a meltdown and want to leave.

So, we split up with the kids to get the particular breakfast items they wanted. We met up at the cash area. For those of you who haven’t been to the POP, the FC consists of a number of stations where you can select difference items, then you proceed to the cash area. Each cash had at least 5 people standing in line on this particular morning. I decided to head for a line in hopes of making this as quick as possible. But as fate would have it, I got behind a lady who had a real big problem with her dining credits and had major trouble explaining her problem to the CM who was trying her best to accommodate this lady and get the line moving. It was all because of one banana.

Again as fate would have it, this took at least 20 minutes…..I kid you not. Why didn’t we move? We couldn’t there were too many people all around us. We were stuck and AD’s blood pressure was raising by the second. He just about threw a $5. bill at “Banana Woman” to get the line moving but didn’t (AD’s bark is worse than his bite)
Finally, Banana Woman got what she wanted and three families enjoyed a rather cold breakfast!

To POP FC management: Could we please have a separate line for dining credit disputes when it is busy…..thanks! Maybe a DDP Customer Service Desk. Is that asking too much?

Anyway, after breakfast we walked around the hotel and took a few pictures. We packed up and checked out around 10am.

Overall rating on POP – 2 thumbs up for me and the kids loved it. AD – you already know what he thought :teeth:

We drove over to the Crossroad’s area just beyond Downtown Disney to get some supplies and lunch. There are ample chain restaurants in this area, so we decided on Macaroni Grill, a favourite from of Livin’in Georgia days.

After lunch we figured it was an appropriate time to try to check into the Downtown Disney Hilton. All the way there DS started talking exactly like Veruca Salt from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, as in “Daddy, I want a squirrel”

DS: “Oh Muth-are, are we going to the fancy hotel?”
Me: Yes, Jack
DS: “Since we are staying in the fancy hotel, I’m going to talk like this all day”
Me: OK, Jack. Just don’t ask me for a squirrel.

I started having a mild anxiety attack at this point, because we were in fact, going to stay off site. I don’t do off site. I don’t like off site. Opposites attract though – AD loves off site. So, we compromised on Downtown Disney Hilton.

AD is a VIP Gold Hilton Honors member with a wonderful knack for getting upgrades without really asking. The man astounds me with that gift! He gets upgraded at airports, hotels, etc. A lot! I never do. So, we checked into the “fancy hotel” in a Junior Suite/Concierge. Woo-hoo, the Suite Life!! Fancy, indeed!

The rooms are very nice and darn it if our view wasn’t of DTD, Epcot and we could even see “wishes” at MK in the distance!

After unpacking, a quick swim and a clean up we were off to see “La Nouba”

La Nouba was excellent. Being Canadian I know all about Cirque du Sole, as they originated in Canada. The kids were really looking forward to this, and it was everything we expected and more. I highly recommend it.

A little vent here: I don’t understand people who spend good money on something and don’t take the time to read what they are spending their dollars on. There was a nice, delightful family (not) in front of us who didn’t look very thrilled to be there. They thought it would be just like a “stupid circus” And I think they did. Too bad, it was fabulous! And I’m sure had the Brazilian teenagers been there they would have chanted like there is no tomorrow. So, I’m not going to tell you about the details of La Nouba. Do the research and go. You won’t regret it!

Also, you can eat food while watching, just in case you get the start time wrong and don’t have time to eat before :rolleyes: ……whoops! Popcorn and soft drinks, with twizzlers on the side - excellent dinner!

After La Nouba we walked around DTD, and decided to get a bite to eat at Bongo’s.
I’m apologize to those who have enjoyed Bongo’s but we just didn’t like it. We are adventurous diners, but I guess Cuban is just not our thing. Enough said.

After Bongo’s we planned to head over to MK for the extra magic hours. DTD Hilton is the only “off-site” hotel that Disney allows to have the perk of EMH……I was releaved, with that perk we can’t possibly be considered “off-site” (or can we???)

It was about 9:30pm when we entered the gates and ran smack into the end of Spectromagic Parade. We watched from the steps of City Hall and were pleasantly surprised to find a wrist band station there.

A helpful hint: They have many wrist band stations all over the Park, so you really don’t have to stand in line to get one. The one at the turn stiles was about 100 people long and at City Hall it was empty.

After using the “walk through the shops” strategy to avoid the Parade crowd, we headed straight for Adventureland to finish off the Mountains. We stopped by Pirates since we missed it the other day. I am a big pirates fan. It was my WOW ride exactly 30 years ago at my first visit to The World.

I still enjoy this ride and everything about it. It's just like they say about your first time…….on a Disney ride that is! It stays with you. The upgrades were cool and loved seeing Captain Jack!

AD was complaining now because the Cuban stuff didn’t really do it for him, so I suggested to get a bite at Peco’s since we thought it was pretty good the day before. The kids and I went to watch Wishes, while AD waited, and waited, and waited at Peco’s to get food. Apparently, the staff were all watching Wishes too!

Suffice it to say that AD didn’t like Peco’s as he christened it “Peco’s Dog Food”. I however learned something at Peco’s while visiting the restroom:

“Hand washing Tips by Sparkle”

Wet hands.
Apply Soap
Rub hands
Rinse.

I kid you not! These tips are posted in many of the MK restrooms.

Watch for them………..incase you forget!!!

Anyway, back to EMH……we stepped out of Peco’s at 10:30pm to a crowd that would rival the World Cup finals!

I thought back 30 years in time to when I was 16 and recalled that the park (only MK was there then) was opened until 1am and it was GREAT because all the little kids left after the fireworks and the park was virtually empty in the evening. I have very fond memories of this. But apparently the years have clouded my concept of how it really was, because as a teenage I doubt if I even noticed that there were crowds (unless they were Brazilian teenage boys… :teeth: ) This night, it was crowded.

I certainly didn’t take into consideration that it was a Friday Night and I’m sure the thousands of Brazilian teenagers weren’t looking to leave after the fireworks either. Plus I imagine the other “gazillon” on site guests, plus DTDHilton ones had the same idea!

We couldn’t get near The Mountains. Line ups were long for HM, Peter Pan and the other favourites. We did get into Philharmagic without much wait, but by this time the kidlets were having mini-meltdowns because hot+tired+crowds+late hours do not always add up to Disney Magic! After Phil (which I loved) we decided to leave. Just in time!
A Disneyholic always knows when its time to leave!!

Sorry, The Whirlwinds, we are not ;)

Up next: Sleeping and Soarin’

Lynn4Mel
08-14-2006, 08:55 PM
Can not wait to hear more! And just in time for my trip next week! :cool1:

sheridac
08-14-2006, 09:08 PM
YakkityYak!!!!

(by the Hippy Dippy pool )
Really???? The Hippy Dippy pool is near the food court???? How convenient!!!!

Brazilian
I wonder how many times you said this??? I'm going to go back and count. :teeth:

AussieAngel
08-15-2006, 01:56 AM
Augh!! I think your DS needs to watch the original (and best!) version of Willy Wonka, so he can say, "Daddy, I want a golden goose! I want a golden goose that lays golden eggs!"

Then he can sing, "I want the world, I want the whole world! I want to wrap it all up in my pocket, it's my bar of chocolate, give it to me nooooooow!"

Ahhh, Veruca Salt. You've gotta love her. The original one, I mean.

Anyway, loving your trip report!! :thumbsup2

GeorgiaAristocat
08-15-2006, 08:56 AM
YAK ~
ahhhh, the arrival of the AD. You know, I am taking mine with me from the beginning.

I'm working hard on the conversion. I think he will always, unfortunately, fall into the "like" rather than "love" category. But maybe the Princess has a shot of tipping the scales! There's always hope . . .

Grammyof2
08-15-2006, 09:16 AM
YAK - Cirque - My DH LOVES :love: it. We have traveled many times just to see a new version somewhere. Fantastic!!!!!!!

The washing of the hands :rotfl: When I was teaching Home Ec we actually had an entire chapter on this very subject. Very intense stuff!!!! Part of the midterm and final included this. :lmao: :lmao: Who knew it was so hard.

My GD has it down to a science. No textbook required. Wet hands, apply soap, wash top and bottoms while singing the ABC song. Rinse well. Use paper towel to dry and open door from public restroom. Drop towel in trash. Preschool 101 :rotfl2:

pooksma
08-15-2006, 09:21 AM
Just read from top to bottom (no not a wet one :teeth: )
Loving every minute of it!

The songs thing really got me. Every trip we ever took with my parents was musical. As a child of the 70s my voyages were intwined with the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack, Freddie Fender (whose parents are these??) and various country hits, all on 8track.

Looking forward to reading more! :banana:

Minnie
08-15-2006, 09:50 AM
Yak - We :love: Cirque. Finally spent the $$ this time to see the "circus" that I wasn't quite sure my son would like and he ended up glued to it the entire time. It was worth every penny to see the glow on his face and I'm pretty sure it was the only time he wasn't yakken the whole trip :rolleyes:

snarfieca
08-16-2006, 11:58 AM
Thank you for your trip report. I love the songs in it.

Looking forward to reading more

lauren_elizabeth
08-16-2006, 02:48 PM
Keep it COMING! :banana:

Yzma and Kronk
08-16-2006, 09:25 PM
Day 4 – Saturday July 15

Zip-a-dee-doo-dah, zip-a-dee-ay!
My, oh my what a wonderful day!
Plenty of sunshine, leading my way
Zip-a-dee-doo-dah, zip-a-dee-ay!

We slept in today!......zip-a-dee-doo-dah!

Until 11am……zip-a-dee-ay!

At Disney!

For those of you who are disgusted with this notion……please feel free to put me on ignore But keep reading……..please.

AD didn’t sleep in. He gets up early. He’s type A-AD. But he is really good about being quiet and having his “super model” breakfast alone. (Coffee and a smoke!) Plus he likes to chat with strangers at hotels. Not in a weird way. A friendly way.
So, he’s good to wait until we get up.

Around noon we decided to head over to The Boardwalk to find a place for lunch.

We parked across the street from the BW Hotel, and walked through it. I was careful to avoid the “Clown Barfing Slide” area…. :scared:

We decided on ESPN Club and it was a hit! AD really enjoyed the place. It wasn’t busy and they also had playstation at the booths for the kids. They were able to get their fix!! Whoopty-Do, Basil!

Also, did I mention that AD is watching his carbs? It makes for interesting ordering at restaurants, just like a scene from “Harry Met Sally”

No not that one…..shame on you, dear readers…..the apple pie scene!

ESPN has non-breaded chicken wings and this makes AD very happy!
Lunch was good, atmosphere excellent and Happy Cokes, brilliant (R&C….hee-hee)

After lunch we decided to take the boat to Epcot. We were going to walk but the Boardwalk is really hot during the middle of the day in July. It’s the boards. They are light coloured. Like sand in the desert. This is why the Boardwalk was virtually empty on a Saturday afternoon in July! Major Sizzlefest!

We arrived at the International Gateway in Epcot and who is standing there but Chuck and Da…..ooops Chip and Dale. And a designated Disney smoking area.

We were having a good day!

(aside: please don’t judge AD……he is trying to quit. I have never smoked. Never. So I don’t comment. He knows. And he is very very courteous to non-smokers and does his smoking privately. Enough said.)

We walked over to The Land to grab fast passes for Soarin’ before they were gone. We arrived at 2:54pm for a return time of 6:54 to 7:54pm. So plan your Epcot day accordingly.

With the Soarin’ FP’s we got bonus FP’s. Maybe Disney feels bad that you have to wait so long for Soarin’ that they give you this bonus. It was a 5:45pm FP to Honey I Shrunk the Audience. Bonus! Alas, it wasn’t to be, because the kids really weren’t sure they wanted to see HISTA (knowledge sometimes isn’t a good thing….) so I just Fast-passed-it-forward to a young couple we saw in another line. They were thrilled.
Please, if you have FP’s you aren’t going to use pass them on. Make someone’s day!

We then went over to Innovations (East and West) because the kids love it here. It’s like a hands-on science museum. They have many interactive games and benches for adults to sit and take a rest. Plus, we were in air conditioned comfort! DD particularly loves the racing game where you are a Disney Character and you race three others to collect the most ice cream cones. They did that one three times. They have many computer stations with games, even Millionaire! We played a game called, “Where is the Fire” in which the family can participate.

After innovations we walked over to Test Track to see if we could get on. Finally. This was our fourth time trying to ride Test Track. Each time it closed suddenly due to rain or whatever. If you are at TT, ride it if you can because you never know. The wait was posted at about 45 minutes but in reality it was only 20. The single rider line was empty. This ride was really cool. You really have to do it twice. The fast part goes real fast, all I kept thinking was, “again, again”. Stacey was right. Instant face lift!

We passed on Mission Space. DD has “been there, done it” and DS was a little apprehensive about it. I definitely didn’t want to ride, so we passed. We don’t stress over missing rides because I know that it gives us a reason to return!

We still had time before our Soarin’ FP’s so we stopped by Customer Service to see if there were any ADR’s available for dinner. I did this because we are “table service” people and wanted to avoid walking all around in 100F heat, looking for a cool place to eat. CM, James from Paris was extremely nice and helpful and got us a ADR at Biergarten in about 30 minutes.

We set out walking and sweating to Germany!

Biergarten is a buffet restaurant with live entertainment by way of a German “Oompah-pa” band. I felt like I was at Oktoberfest!

And I’ve been. Not in Germany but we live very near the city which hosts the largest Bavarian Festival in North America. Yup, Kitchener, Ontario – a little piece of Germany in Canada.

Anyway, we were seated with the “non-Oompah-pa” family, who didn’t say a word to us and as much as AD tried, not even a oomp! You see, at Beirgarten, like Oktoberfest you are seated at long tables and chances are you will be sitting with people you don’t know. Have fun and meet some new friends! We didn’t. We tried. Oh well. Ein Prosit. Zicke, zacke, zicke, zacke, hoi, hoi, hoi.

We were now within our Soarin’ FP time, so we hoofed it back to The Land. We did the silent, “na-na-na-boo-boo” FP wave while passing the “stand-byers”

All I’ll say is this ride is our new FAVOURITE. Or, FAVORITE for those in the “other” spelling zone. Major WOW factor for me.

It’s the best! Eight thumbs way up!!!

Get your fastpasses and proceed to Soarin’. You won’t be disappointed.

By now AD has had his Disney fill, and there was no need to stay for Illuminations because we have a surprise in store for later in the week.

We walked back to International gateway and to The Boardwalk.

The Boardwalk was hopping with many buskers and entertainers. We stopped and watched for awhile then headed back to our deluxe hotel in the sky.

To watch Illuminations from the comfort of our hotel room. And free stuff from the concierge!

Up next: Lazin’ on a Sunday Afternoon.

Yzma and Kronk
08-16-2006, 09:40 PM
Day 5 – Sunday July 16

Ain’t it a glorious day?
Right as a mornin’ in May
I feel like I could fly
‘ave you ever seen
The grass so green?
Or a bluer sky?
Oh, it’s a jolly holiday
With you YAK….

(as sung by my dear AD…..because I planned a no-park-do-whatever-AD-wants-to-do-day)

So, we slept in again……I know y’all are really hating me now.

We took advantage of the breakfast in the concierge. Swam. Watched Stacey. Yes, she is on at the not-so-off-site, off-site hotel.

While the kids lounged around the hotel, I straightened up – I can’t stand a messy hotel room- when we discovered that DD’s Nintendo DS (hand held game system) was missing. The whole thing, her case and about 5 very expensive games. After a minor freak-out, I thought I’d try POP to see if maybe, just maybe, we left it in our room. In my dreams!

A very nice CM transferred me to housekeeping that informed me that “Marie” found it while cleaning and turned it in!! Many thanks to Marie!!!.
They asked if we would like them to courier it home to us, but I said we were still here and would come by and pick it up later that day.

AD was impressed. Not quite enough to stay there again, but impressed just the same.

Whoo-hoo, tragedy avoided.

Around noon we decided to try one of the restaurants at the Hilton, “Covington Mill” It was a coffee/sandwich shop type restaurant. While we were sitting waiting for our food, it seemed like a fleet of helicopters flew by. I didn’t think anything of this, but then it happened again. It wasn’t helicopters it was the noise coming from the 2nd floor hotel laundry room! I’m not sure the Hilton family would be pleased! It was too funny!

After lunch AD wanted to check out the Outlet Mall. The kids didn’t. We went anyway because as all good Canadians know, we must outlet shop when on vacation in Florida. Funny, because AD really doesn’t like to shop unless it’s in Florida at the Outlet. We made it to two stores. A shoe store and the Disney one. Then we left. Got our fix. That’s all we needed.

We then drove over to POP and retrieved DD’s DS.

We resisted the urge to pool hop and refill our mugs…..hee-hee just kidding.

Then over to Downtown Disney to do a little more shopping…..huh…..who stole my husband???? Actually he was avoiding the parks and this was as close to Disney he wanted to come today and keep me happy.

It was about 4pm and as it does pretty much everyday, the heavens opened up. We waited it out in the Lego store, which thrilled DD. He loves Lego. So he spent some of his “grandma” money there.

Since it was AD’s day to set the itinerary, he chose to go to an off-site restaurant for dinner. Surprise, surprise. I wanted to go to Fulton’s or Earl of Sandwich, but it was his day.

We went back to Crossroads and ate at Uno. It was fairly good Italian food. Off site.

After dinner we went back to the hotel to swim and watch Illuminations from our window, again.

Oh, well.

It wasn’t a very Disney day.

It was AD’s day.

A good day.

And that’s OK.

Up next: Back to The World. And OKW.

Minnie
08-17-2006, 11:18 AM
Yak - My DS has a Nintendo DS - his little case probably holds about $500 smackers of electronics. Very scary when that little jewel goes missing. Major :wizard: that it got turned in!!!!!!!!!!!

ntsammy5
08-17-2006, 01:00 PM
Forword:

It's gonna be HOT HOT HOT. Who cares....I'm Canadian. I hate winter. If it's too hot, I'll just remember how I felt mid-January during a nice icey Northern blizzard. That should do it! Or, just bring my squeezy fan. No worries!
[/I]

Loved your post. Being from Buffalo, I know how you feel about winter and snow. It'll only be in the low 90s when we go. Not too bad. have a fun time. BTW, can you recite the monorail warnings is Spanish?

:dance3: :dance3: :dance3:

1000thhappyhaunt
08-17-2006, 01:50 PM
Well, instead of my laundry... I started this.

I'm OUT THERE, YAK, and I'm LOVIN' IT!

I mean: I'M IN, YAK! And I'm lovin' it!

I'm jealous of the mini-meet. And all that. But... I'll deal.

It is good to see 'ol Viking Pluto. Again.

Keep truckin'!

Cheers, Mel.

:moped: :thumbsup2

P.S. Nice TITLE!

Yzma and Kronk
08-17-2006, 11:21 PM
Thanks Mel! :blush:

Wow I won over the laundry! Excellent!

I'm not worthy :worship: I'll try to make ya proud!

ntsam - 90's....better bring a sweater.... ;) I do not complain about hot/summer, ever!

Minnie - that's what I was thinking. How many $$$$ was in that case!

Thanks everyone for reading!

Day 6 should be up soon!

sheridac
08-18-2006, 06:48 AM
"We did the silent, “na-na-na-boo-boo” FP wave while passing the 'stand-byers'”

Come on, Yak, admit it.

You also were doing the run-walk. You were. Weren't you?? You know you were. :teeth:

kpk89
08-18-2006, 10:22 PM
Yak! I love the way that you do a song at the start of each chapter. I forgot to tell you that B4.

Keep the sizzle-fest moving along!

Fabooliss
08-19-2006, 09:35 AM
I'm loving this... keep it coming!!! Sitting here in my PJ's instead of getting on with my day, laughing away at the computer. My DH thinks I'm nuts!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzma and Kronk
Forword:
[/I]

We are going in February... I keep reading about hand warmers scarfs, and hats for the parades/fireworks, and I'm thinking we've sat in a snow bank to watch the Santa Claus parade in November here, I think I can handle a 7pm parade in Florida in February!!! :rotfl:

Yzma and Kronk
08-21-2006, 12:27 PM
Hi Everyone who is following along.

I'm bringing this back up to prepare you for the next installment.

Fab - The February, "it's cold in WDW" is really funny to me too! It was hot, hot, hot but I just soaked it all up in hopes I can save up some of the heat for our long cold winter!

Sher - yup we did :blush: I also did the na-na-na-boo-boo too! Especially at Soarin'.

Kimmie - I'm just a music geek. But the scary thing is I'm not up to speed with the popular stuff now. I'll pass the torch to DD for that.....

Everyone else - stay tuned..........more to come!

Yzma and Kronk
08-21-2006, 01:06 PM
Day 6 – Monday July 17th.

Look for the bare necessities
The simple bare necessities
Forget about your worries and your strife
I mean the bare necessities
Old Mother Nature’s recipes
That brings the bare necessities of Life.
….
And don’t spend your time lookin’ around
For something you want that can’t be found
When you find out you can live without it
And go along not thinkin’ about it

I’ll tell you something true
The bare necessities of life will come to you

Today we move over to Old Key West. I love all the DVC properties even though we aren’t DVC owners…..yet. I wish. In my dreams. If only we could win the lottery then AD couldn’t object. When you wish upon a star…….

We are staying in a one bedroom so that means extra supplies for a full sized refrigerator! A trip to Publix is in order.

BUT……..I must resist the urge to buy copious amounts of the breakfast food of choice by a good percentage of DISer’s……poptarts.

The Happyhaunts put me on to this. I need to stick to the bare necessities!

But before we checkout of our luxurious hotel in the sky, it’s EMH at MGM!

And DD wants to ride Rock ‘n Roll and Tower of Terror. BP*
(*before poptarts)

So like the good Disney family that we are, we rise very early ;) and head over to MGM for 8am.

We drove over and guess what? We had to pay for parking! We weren’t staying on site so we had to pay. The CM explained that the DTDHilton isn’t on property, blah, blah, blah! We were there for EE, which only on-property guests can partake. It was too early to present this argument, so we paid. No worries......AD loves to give Disney his cash, so this will make him happy, right?

The curse of the sort-of-on-site, off site hotel!

We entered MGM just before 8am (they did check our resort keys) and headed to the rope drop to follow the crowd to R&R and TofT. This is where EVERYONE that is there for EMH goes! It’s kind of like a stampede. The only thing that was missing was a sheep dog jumping on the backs of people to get ahead of the crowd.

DD decided it was to be Tower of Terror first.

I really don’t do elevators……..you see I have this reoccurring elevator dream. I’m in a elevator much like the great glass elevator in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and it turns into a roller coast. I’m not kidding. I had these even before I ever saw CCACF.

I’m not really sure what it means, but to me it means I don’t do elevators. Thus, the Tower of Terror is my greatest nightmare! You couldn’t pay me enough to go on that thing. But DD was chanting all the way, (reminiscent of Sponge Bob)......"I'm ready, I'm ready, I'm ready"

DS and I went over to R& R to get fastpasses and went back to wait for the adventurous elevator riders! You can actually go through the dump…..oops, I mean gift shop at the exit to where the cash grab….ooops ride photo’s are and sit there and wait.

Suffice it to say that DD didn’t lose her poptarts, but almost. She christened it the “Tower of Barf”.

AD had no comment, except he had to find the smoking area……….fast. As luck would have it, it’s conveniently located just beside the area when you are walking to R&R.

We then made our way over to Star Tours because DS is a huge Star Wars fan and it was his turn. It was a walk on since it was still early.

On Star Tours, prior to boarding the CM goes over any important information you need to know. However, our CM must have been speaking “Gungan” (which is the language of Jar-Jar Binks) because I didn’t understand one word of the pre-boarding announcement she made. She wasn’t mumbling, she was speaking clearly, but mesah no understand what sa was saying? Maybe it was part of the show. I don’t know. But I doubt it. Not a good Disney moment..... :confused3

Anyway, we all rode and it was fun. DS loved it and wanted to ride again so off they went. Simulators are on the, "OK for me to ride but just once, thanks" list. So, I hung out at the dump…..ooops I mean gift shop to look for some cool stuff for DS’s next birthday.

Next was a visit to the smoking area across from Star Tours. To keep AD happy.

We were all getting a little hungry and since it was still breakfast time we decided on getting a bite at the ABC Commissary. It was good and I think one of the few places you can get breakfast at MGM.

After our refuel, we headed over to the Muppets, which is getting a little dated, but still funny. I love the old guys in the balcony, but who are they?

Statler and Waldorf. Statler is the taller, thinner one sitting on the right as we look at them in their box. Waldorf's wife is named Astoria. They are all named after old New York hotels.

Thank You.

We were in full preparation mode for our next show, Who Wants to be a Millionaire and you never know if the Muppets will come up as a WWTBAM question. :teeth:

Millionaire is a great show and unfortunately for us we only played it once before. It is sadly coming to an end in August. So I was stoked. I wanted to get in the hot seat real bad. I studied up on the Zurg’s helpful hints on Millionaire and was ready.

It wasn’t to be. I did place 6th on the board once, but we only had time for two contestants. Oh well. Back to the computer version for me!

Then back to R & R for our fastpasses.

Or their fastpasses.

There isn’t any way in Disney I’m stepping foot on that baby. Call me a baby. I don’t care. I don’t do coasters. And I’m perfectly happy to be the one to sit and watch and the stuff.
That’s me. I’m very popular with my coaster riding friends. No need for lockers, strollers or scooters.........to store your stuff. I'm there!

I don’t have to ride. And I’m OK with that.

DS didn’t want to ride either, so he waited with me. It was taking quite awhile even with the FP’s so we decided to check out the dump…..ooops I mean gift shop and watch the cash grab…..ooops ride pictures for AD and DD.

AD loved it! DD on the other hand needed a smoke…….fast!

After R & R it was getting pretty toasty out and we had to check out of the Hilton, so we decided to leave.

Once out of the Hilton, we headed over to Publix for the bare necessities and a few cell phone calls from aisle 3 to aisle 10 by way of Canada!

Then to Old Key West to check in.

We really like OKW and it was our second visit, but AD’s first. When planning the trip a lot of thought was put into which on site hotel to stay keeping in mind AD’s on-site quirk!

AD is an avid golfer, so we decided a nice golf view at OKW would do it. No food courts, nice and quite. And a full service kitchen, plus washer and dryer. I contacted my DVC friend and rented points from him to lessen the strain on the wallet. AD will be pleased.

When we arrived, our room wasn’t ready so the nice CM gave us some alternate choices. I really wanted the golf view, so we decided to wait. We were also taking advantage of the Disney Dining Plan for this part of the stay, so she happily gave us our room key with our DDP credits. We decided to get a bite at Goods to Go.

I, of course had read all about the DDP and decided to conserve credits by sharing lunches. Believe me, you get ample food and this works well for us because we aren’t big eaters and rarely eat desert.

After lunch and an adult beverage at the Pool bar while the kids checked out the arcade, we decided to see if our room was ready.

I wanted to change our ADR for that night and Customer Service didn’t appear busy – only one person ahead of me – so I got in line. I waited, and waited and waited and waited. No movement! The lady ahead of me almost passed out from the wait.

I know you all know, but please people if you decide to plan your whole trip to the finest detail, do some of it ahead of time. Try the internet. That’s what we are here for! Or use the phone. There are more people to assist you. Both families were planning full 7 day itineraries right there! They were Disney newbies!!!

I know, because I listened! (I do that sometimes….. ;) )

I invested way too much time at this point to leave the line, and the medic’s had arrived to resessitate the lady waiting in front of me (only kidding) so I continued to wait and wait and wait……until our room was ready.

Fellow DISer’s you would have be proud of me when it was my turn. Cancelled and re-booked my ADR in approximately 20 seconds. This was partly because the CM was an accomplished typist. Also because I knew what I wanted BEFORE I got in line.

I think I heard applause after I walked away from the counter.

Sooooo, we got to our golf-course-AD-approved room and relaxed for a bit.

Dinner plans were to visit Jiko that night. I was excited because our first family Disney trip was shortly after The Animal Kingdom Lodge opened and AD and I have been to Jiko. It is one of my favourite all time restaurants.

We arrived at AKL just before our ADR time. Refilled our old mugs and went for a swim…….only kidding. :stir:

Just trying to keep you awake!

As mentioned we love Jiko. We love the CM’s at the AKL. They are so interesting to talk to. We love the food, the wine, the atmosphere! And we had a extra-ordinary fabulous meal.

For two DD credits per person.

Confession time: We actually paid cash for the kids. They don’t eat much. If this bothers you even a little, consider this: Disney knows. Despite the many threads regarding this issue, believe me they have worked it out. They are wwwaaayyyy ahead of the game with regard to the DDP. Think big picture. Plus, they got it back…..you’ll see if you read on to day 9

After dinner we walked around the Lodge and looked at the animals. We met some very interesting CM’s from South Africa who chatted with us for a bit about the animals and their home countries.

Tomorrow was going to be an early morning, so we decided to leave and head back to OKW for some happy cokes on the balcony!

Up next: HAPPY DISNEY BIRTHDAY TO THE ANTI-DISNEY!!

kpk89
08-21-2006, 09:58 PM
YAK! Y'know, I think the folks who get all in a twist of the use of child dining credits thing, don't have kids! They are just jealous!

And thanks for the Statler & Waldorf info. Did you google them?

GeorgiaAristocat
08-22-2006, 09:12 AM
Yak ~ you brave woman, you! Rulebreaker! Trendsetter!

Thanks for another great installment. Look forward to reading the rest!

Amy

sheridac
08-22-2006, 11:48 AM
If only we could win the lottery then AD couldn’t object.
You do know you gotta play it to win, right??? :teeth:

you see I have this reoccurring elevator dream. I’m in a elevator much like the great glass elevator in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and it turns into a roller coast. I’m not kidding. I had these even before I ever saw CCACF.

Are you kidding?? I would LOVE that!!!! :teeth:

We arrived at AKL just before our ADR time. Refilled our old mugs and went for a swim…….only kidding.
he he!!!!!!

Really funny YAK!!!

Except.

For this one thing.

Last edited by Yzma and Kronk : Yesterday at 08:51 PM.
That was weak. Sorry. :teeth:

Yzma and Kronk
08-22-2006, 12:38 PM
Really funny YAK!!!

Except.

For this one thing.

That was weak. Sorry. :teeth:

Sorry Sher - geez, I figured wouldn't get flagged over here.... :teeth:

Plus I was correcting spelling in case Jami was reading!

Grammyof2
08-23-2006, 08:10 AM
What is a happy coke????

Yzma and Kronk
08-23-2006, 09:41 PM
What is a happy coke????

I'll let you know next month at the Hippy Dippy.

Have a coke and a smile, I always say!

Minnie
08-25-2006, 10:24 AM
Ohhhhhhh where art thou Yak???????????

Waiting impatiently for another installment :hourglass :teeth:

Yzma and Kronk
08-26-2006, 01:41 PM
Ohhhhhhh where art thou Yak???????????

Waiting impatiently for another installment :hourglass :teeth:

Heehee - Thanks for the reminder Minnie!

Funny how life gets in the way sometimes.

I'm working on it - actually two days worth!

Be right back.....

Yzma and Kronk
08-26-2006, 06:34 PM
Day 7 - Tuesday July 18th

Got a whale of a tale to tell ya, lads
A whale of a tale or two
‘Bout the flappin’ fish and the girls I loved
On nights like this with the moon above
A whale of a tale and it’s all true
I swear by my tattoo.

(Whale of a Tale – 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea)

Do you remember that ride? I loved it. Way back when I was a teenager we ran from the rope drop to be the first ones on 20K.
We knew even before we had the DIS to advise us, that this ride was a long wait if you didn’t get there early. And it was way worth it!

For those who never got the chance, here is a little description of what it was like:

The big-eyed like sea serpents were one of 12 submarines that take you 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. Each vessel carried 38 passengers into a mysterious underwater world inspired by Walt Disney’s 1954 Academy Award-winning film based on Jules Verne’s science-fiction classic. As you cruise through the eerie blue-green world, you might even sight human divers among the Audio-Animatronics treasure hunters.

The best part was when you dove deeper and then screamed (usually in your head), “oh my, there is a GIANT SQUID attacking that submarine ahead!” It was excellent! A bit scary but really cool!

I especially liked the CM’s in their naval uniforms! Ya, baby!

Sadly, it was closed on September 5, 1994 never to be opened again!

I still feel nostalgic when I walk by that empty space.

Enough reminiscing of my teenage years….back to present and AD’s Birthday Day!!!

DD and I have planned a special day for AD. You see, ever since our daughter was born, AD doesn’t get to really have a special day of his own. It’s overshadowed by his first born, who didn’t want to come on Daddy’s birthday – she wanted her own day.

The next day.

AD spent the better part of that particular birthday, 11 years ago at the hospital. I spent it…..well you know…...

She was born the next morning. What a one-day-late birthday present for Daddy!

The day after baby.

And the day after baby wanted to spend her birthday at The World. So, Daddy had to, too!

We had no plans to get up early and be at any rope drops. AD is very low key about his birthday and doesn’t like a lot of attention. No WDW Birthday pins for him. No calls from Goofy. But I did let the CM know at check-in, so to his surprise a few balloons and an autographed picture of Goofy arrived. He was pleased. Mostly because it was for him.

And because I’m such a wonderful wife, I got up early (at Disney….gasp!) and prepared a delicious birthday breakfast.

I know what you are all thinking….Poptarts over easy. Or Poptart’s Benedict.

I actually made Omelets with all the fixin’s, but sorry no GRITS…cheese or otherwise!
We are Canadian, after all!

We headed out shortly after nine to go…………….fishing!!!

On Bay Lake!

We arrived at the CR early so we decided to check out the CR arcade. It’s huge and not very busy at 9:15am! It’s also very Chuckie Cheese-like without the pizza and large mouse! The mouse was down the hall tending to his Chef duties……at Chef Mickey’s, of course!

DD loves arcades, especially the kiddie casino games. The ones that spit out tickets to redeem for small cheap plastic crap. The stuff you can get at the dollar store, for well a dollar. Here it’s about $22. for tokens that morph into tickets. But the kids are having fun and that’s the point. A sharp point in the wallet. But the point all the same.

After getting their fill of cheap (non-Disney, I might add) plastic crap from the CR arcade it was time to go fishin’

This trip would be a 2 hour catch-and-release excursion for just the 4 of us.

So,

Just sit right back and you'll hear a tale,
a tale of a fishing trip.
That started from the Contemporary resort,
aboard this tiny ship.

Our guide was a mighty fishing (wo)man,
Missy was her name.
Four passengers set sail that day,
for a two hour tour, a two hour tour………

This is really funny that we are going fishing. We are not fishing people. Not hiking, nor camping. DS has a fear of dead fish. It all started at a visit to The Wal-Mart pet department when he was four. We like the outdoors as long as it comes with a pool, lounge chair and a few cold drinks.

Actually we are more like, “watch fishing on Saturday morning TV” people.
And this excursion is perfect for us. A TV fishing trip. Our guide will do all the work, bait, release, etc. And we really don’t have to get our hands dirty, if we don’t want to!

Missy, our guide picked us up at the CR dock promptly at 10am and we were off.
She brought cold drinks, and all the fishin’ fixin’s. Sorry, guys the only thing missing was the cold beer. And funny fishing hats.

We started out near the WL and proceeded on catching many. The kids were going crazy. Line in, wait a minute and a bite, real in and Bob’s your uncle!

Missy told us that this is very unusual, especially in the summer. Beginners luck, I guess!

Fishing is a great way to spend time at Disney with the backdrop of the MK all around. Plus, it’s away from the crowds. You can hardly believe you are at Disney until you glance up at the CR or Space Mountain. Beautiful! Wish you were here!

Fishing by the Contemporary!

I think I got one!

Me too!

Eeeewww, I touched it!

Notice the look on DS's face. "Is that a Wal-mart fish???"

We can thank Walt for this wonderful experience, as Missy told us that he insisted that the WDW lakes be stocked with live fish when WDW was built. The man thought of everything!

We had a great two hours, fishing, talking, laughing and getting to know Missy. At the end we caught over 20 fish!

And that ain’t no whale of a tale!

Missy dropped us back at the CR docks and we thanked her for a most excellent birthday time for AD. Since it was getting very hot, we decided to cool off by taking a spin on the monorail……up front, of course. For the Birthday Boy!

We disembarked at the Grand Floridian for lunch. I suggested we stop because I always like to go there once during each trip, just to pretend that we are staying there!

You can hear me in the lobby if you listen real hard:

Me: “Honey, I just have to run back up to the room for a second – I’ll meet you at V&A’s in a moment”
In my dreams!

After lunch, we went back to OKW for a swim and rest because it’s July and it is hot, hot, hot……remember, Sizzlefest? But, that’s the way un-huh, un-huh, I like it, uh-huh, uh-huh. I hate winter, so there. Turn up the heat, baby!
Just remember to take it easy. Lot’s of water, a hat, daily dip, yadda, yadda, yadda!

Next up was AD’s Birthday dinner. I changed our ADR so many times, it wasn’t funny. It probably was to the CM’s when I called AGAIN and AGAIN and AGAIN!

CM: “Hey guys, I got that lady on the phone that is changing the dinner ressie for July 18th again………hahahahahaha”

I heard them! Well not really, but I can imagine! They can have a laugh at my expense, I really don’t mind. They deserve it!

I finally decided that AD would like The Flying Fish Café. Because dinner had to be just right. If AD had his way he would have gone back to ESPN for wings. But not for his 45th! No way, we was going out on the town tonight!

We made our way over to the Boardwalk – this time valet parking the car.

We arrived right on time for our ADR and were seated promptly, but something just wasn’t right. I believe it was our waiter. Not the best, and I think it was because we were on the DP. I had read that others had experienced this we bit of attitude and I will have to agree. Not attentive. Rushing us to leave. A grunt when I said we were celebrating a special day.

It’s OK that they didn’t acknowledge AD’s day with nothing else than a grunt, because remember he likes things low key….but……ah, never mind.

I’m not even sure what we had, I didn’t write it down but it wasn’t too memorable. I’d say our time at the FFC was just OK. The food was just OK. And frankly I expected more. A lot more. C’est la vie!

After dinner, AD was in for another birthday treat. We were going on an Illuminations Cruise – on Breathless! It is the boat named after the Dick Tracy character. It is a 24 foot reproduction of a 1930 Chris Craft runabout. My grandfather had one of these boats. Not a reproduction, a real one!

Breathless is one of those hard to get bookings, so I followed the instructions posted on the DIS to the letter/number 90 days prior and we got it on the first try.

Wham, bam, thank you mam! And thanks very much, nativetxn from the DIS. Your information was spot on! If you need it, it is a “sticky” on the Theme Parks Board. Don’t book without it!

We boarded our second “tiny ship” of the day at about 8:15pm. Our driver Keith had brought along drinks and snacks for us and off we went. We cruised around the Dolphin/Swan area, over to MGM. Keith – opened her up - from MGM to Swan which the kids loved. We then cruised along the Boardwalk. I didn’t exactly do the fastpass, “na-na-na-boo-boo” look to the people on the Boardwalk, but I did waive.

The Queen waive that is.

Touch the pearls.

Smile.

Then we headed to our spot, front centre under the bridge between the UK and France.

Yes, people looking down at us from the Bridge, we paid for this privilege and it was darn worth it!!

What a view!

I have seen Illuminations a few times now and this was the best. We were eye-level to the water and it was a dead calm night so the reflection created a double effect! Spectacular.

On the way back, we chatted with Keith a bit. If you ever get the opportunity, chat with the CM’s. They are so interesting, plus they can tell you a lot of cool things. Like the time he took Gary Sinese out on Breathless. And that Gary usually stays at the Yacht Club when he comes to WDW. Mel, you’re welcome!

After the cruise we were tired so we headed back to OKW.

We then gave AD his birthday gift. All 6 seasons of The West Wing – his favourite!

He was happy.

He had a happy birthday day………..at Walt Disney World!

Up next: Spending your Birthday at Disney, the sequel.

sheridac
08-26-2006, 06:39 PM
YAK!!!

DS has a fear of dead fish. It all started at a visit to The Wal-Mart pet department when he was four.

Rut-rho!!!!

We like the outdoors as long as it comes with a pool, lounge chair and a few cold drinks.
Mama's kind of outdoorsin'. :teeth:

Eeeewww, I touched it!

YAK!!!!! Eeeeeewwwww!!!!!!! Mama no like.

We then gave AD his birthday gift. All 6 seasons of The West Wing – his favourite!

He was happy.

Hey!!! I was there when you got that!!!!!!

javamom
08-26-2006, 06:47 PM
Yikes, I am sorry about that Flying Fish experience. I hope it was just the waiter... I have an ADR for that for our upcoming trip.

Backstage_Gal
08-26-2006, 07:07 PM
YAK, sound like a fabulous day. My kind of fishing, too. Keep it coming, great pics!

Minnie_Moo
08-27-2006, 04:15 PM
YAK - GRrrrrrrrrrrreat trippie!!!!!!!!! Somehow I had totally missed reading it - I'm so, so glad you let us know about your recent installments over there. On M2. But I do remember seeing the Plutopants pics, though. And the mini-meet report.

Sounds like you managed to plan a very nice birthday for the AD. Excellent fishing excursion photos. Hopefully, it helped to change his Disney attitude a little :upsidedow

My DH is not exactly anti-Disney, he just happens to think that every 3-4 years is often enough to go. So I find some friends to go with on the "off years" and we're both happy. That was pretty brave of you to drive down by yourself with the kiddos. After flying the last couple times, though, I think my 20+ hour drives to Florida are mostly over (unless we take off more than 10 days).

Hope you had a smooth trip home.

Frickles
08-27-2006, 04:16 PM
This is one awesome report Mrs. YAK!!! I think we are going to have to go to ESPN restaurant now. Playstation at the booths? I did not know that! It will be football season while we are there in Sept so I think I must plan on eating there! Thanks for that little tid-bit! :thumbsup2

SoNotAPrincess
08-27-2006, 09:38 PM
Lovin' it, YAK...awesome photos, too! :thumbsup2

:cool1:

Grammyof2
08-27-2006, 09:39 PM
just to pretend that we are staying there

That is it in a nutshell :lmao:

jamal
08-27-2006, 10:42 PM
YAK! Loved this chapter. We fished on our last trip and had a blast. I noticed your DD used the 'lady fingers,' as our captain called them, to politely hold her fish. DS did the same on our trip...and I have the pics to prove it. In fact, I think she's holding the SAME fish!!!!!!!:)!!

GeorgiaAristocat
08-28-2006, 09:01 AM
YAK ~
I read this last night, but apparently failed to post. Bad Kitty.

Wonderful descriptions, again. (Well, except for the whole Flying Fish thing, which apparently didn't warrant a description. So, I guess that description was perfect as well.)

But the BREATHLESS!!!!! How fabulous is that!!!! Wee bit jealous. I would love to do that some day.

Too bad we didn't all think of this 6 months ago so that we could have gotten one of the cruises.

Oh, wait. I think Haley did and we all ignored her . . .

:teeth: Amy

Yzma and Kronk
09-02-2006, 07:43 PM
I hate to do this.....I'm bringing my TR back up from page 3, because I'm preparing the next chapter and in case there are some newbies out there want to catch it from the beginning....

GA - I really loved the Breathless - AD however found out how much it cost and it kind of soured his experience. Oh well, he's Anti-Disney! Rule # 654.7 at Disney - never, ever let an AD know how much "extra's" cost!

Jami - In fact, I think she's holding the SAME fish!!!!!!!!!
:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: She probably is. We caught a few who had that "no worries, they are going to throw me back anyway" look on their fish-faces!

Grammy - ;) Everytime I walk in the GF, I also think of Kathy Lee Gifford. She used to go on and on about staying their when we was still with the show. Lifestyles of the Beautiful people!

SNAP - Thanks! It took a bit to perfect the posting of pictures, but I think I've got it now!

Frick - I'll see you at ESPN! ;)

M_M - Thanks too! I actually enjoy the drive instead of the whole "flying thang" Funny coming from someone who worked in the Airline industry for almost 20 years!

Java - I'd be interested in how you like the FF. Sometimes restaurants are "hit and miss" I didn't really enjoy the food either.

Sher - Mama's kind of outdoorsin' I can see you and I will be spending some time at the Hippy Dippy - I've booking the ADR!

Everyone else: Thanks for reading. Next part should be up soon. Sorry for the wait!

javamom
09-02-2006, 08:14 PM
I actually picked that one because A) it's on the Boardwalk and I relly wanna go see that B) We used to have a restaurant here called the Flying Fish C) heh, maybe Mike and I will order lobster ;-) Again.

horsegirl
09-03-2006, 01:23 PM
Yak! You started this during my hiatus and I had no idea you were writing this. This is a fab report. You are doing a smashing job. You know we are borg on the music, but we are borg on lots else, which I will tell you about in 26 days, by the Hippy Dippy Pool.

Now 3 hotels in one stay? Wow, you are adventurous and industrious....and doggone funny, to boot! Keep up the entertainment. I am in. :banana:

NAB
09-03-2006, 07:07 PM
Yak just caught up on your report. Thanks to reading some before we left I did get the photopass cd but I managed to get 147 pics on mine. I would say a good 20 were bbb studio ones. When I purchased on the cd the CM's were impressed. Thanks for that advise. Your husband is like my mom, she talked to alot of people while waiting for us.

Great report but I wouldn't be touching no fish....ewwww. Never would guess my Dad is from N.S.

Minniespal
09-04-2006, 05:06 AM
Enjoying reading your reports ~ Thanx for sharing.

Yzma and Kronk
09-06-2006, 04:06 PM
I'm am sorry faithful readers for the delay......life gets in the way.

Thank you for reading and your patience!

So on with the show........

Spending your Birthday at Disney, the sequel

From the day we arrive on the planet
And blinking, step into the sun
There’s more to see than can ever be seen
More to do than can ever be done
There’s far too much to take in here
More to find than can ever be found

(The Circle of Life – The Lion King)

Today is the anniversary of the day that our first born arrived on the planet.

11 Years ago!

A few days before DD’s b-day someone asked me how old she was going to be. When told, the woman looked right at me and said, “Well, at least you have a few good years left”. :scared1:

Three years ago we went to WDW for DS’s 5th b-day. We had purchased annual passes that year (because we lived in Georgia and all people from Georgia are required to purchase AP’s – it’s true – we got the memo!) and they were due to expire shortly after DS’s day. Ever since, DD has been pestering us to take HER for HER birthday.

She planned the whole day, right down to potty breaks. She knew exactly what she wanted to do on her day and it all was about riding Expedition Everest.

The birthday girl woke up bright and early at 6:30 – ready to “step into the sun”

Today was EMH at Animal Kingdom and DD wanted to ride Expedition Everest first, second and third!. She was saving EE for her birthday this is why it wasn’t such a big deal to ride when we visited AK earlier in the week. She wanted to birthday ride it with Daddy. Cause they share a birthday…..almost.

We had a quick breakfast and off to AK arriving just before 8 am.

I took DD over to Customer Service to get her a Birthday pin and……..they were out.

No worries, the CM wished her a HB.

And She was prepared!

We proceeded through the gates and headed straight for the rope drop area. However, everyone else had the same idea. EMH = EE or is it EE = MC2

So we stopped on the bridge

Once Minnie and crew told us all about drinking lots of water, use sunscreen, blah, blah, blah, I wasn’t listened (but I should have been….) It’s Minnie’s voice. Too high, too early.

Survivor’s ready…..and the race was on!

It was like the stampede in the Lion King. Only worse! I swear you could hear Scar laughing at us humans from above.

Everybody was hurding over to EE

Remember the days when everybody headed to Kilimanjaro Safari. Well, those who went to KS, were lucky!

Something was in the air. And it wasn’t the “warthogs having been thwarted. In attempts to save their gas”!

I couldn’t quite figure it out.

The crowd was slowing. From a full out run to a fast walk. Weird.

Then we came upon a CM who was standing watching the people go by. And she said,

“We’re sorry but EE is currently down. Please feel free to get a fastpass”

:scared1:

I told AD to take the kids over to Kali River Rapids and I’ll go get the fastpasses.

At 8:10am the return time was 12:30ish…oh well.

Then, ring……a call from Canada. Or was it Asia? Yes, it was. AD calling cell to cell from Kali. Sorry they don’t open until 9am.

EMH = EE/KS = zero!

We were already holding FP’s for EE, so attempting to ride or get a FP for the Safari was out. So we headed to the kids favourite, Dinoland. Plus it was fairly close to EE, so we could keep an ear out for those familiar screams from Stacey and the top 7 Disney must-do’s!

They (without me – I was holding the stuff) headed immediately over to Primevil Hurl for a few spins.

We walked back over to EE to see if maybe, just maybe my baby’s birthday wish…..WAS BACK UP AND RUNNING.

This is the birthday girl in anticipation.

But alas, it wasn’t meant to be. It was still down. The CM’s were giving us the “sorry, it should be up soon. Don’t really know when” Much like when you are delayed at the airport. You know they know exactly what is going on. You can tell by the little grin.

Back to Kali to ride. It was getting hot, and it was time to cool off. I had the jumbo ziploc’s! No worries getting the stuff wet. Just us!

After Kali we couldn’t decide what to do, so we thought we’d head over to Tusker House for a better breakfast. The poptarts and supermodel breakfast was wearing off. And who doesn't like to eat with WET PANTS! ;)

We asked a CM if he knew when EE would be up and running, in hopes he wouldn’t give us the airline speech. He didn’t know, but did tell us that it was down for the better part of yesterday too.

Ssssstttttteeeeeeeeeerike One!

It was getting hotter here in Africa and DD didn’t want to hang around all day in hopes of maybe riding EE.

So it was on to HER plan B.

Water Park!

Agh! Water parks make me nervous. She really wanted to go to one of the WP’s and since we didn’t get to ride EE what could we say. Grin and bare it…..so to speak.

We reluctantly left AK. Luckily, DD is a “glass half full” type of kid, so she didn’t mind not riding EE, because she knew that would be her way of getting AD to come back again someday!

We decided on Typhoon Lagoon because we figured that it wouldn’t be AS BUSY as Blizzard Beach.

Plus I hate snow. Any kind. Even the fake 100 degree kind!

So TL it was. And for some strange reason AD agreed to take the bus! He doesn’t do public transit! Ever!

Equipped with nothing you need for Water Parks………off went the Typhoon Lagoon newbie’s on the bus! I admit, I didn’t even read anything on the water parks. I had no intention of going to one. Ah, the best laid plans…..

We had last eaten at around 11am, so it didn’t occur to me to make sure we have snacks with us. No problem we can buy something there. Drinks – who needs them. We are in water right. It’s liquid. Plus we can buy them there. Towels, I’m sure they provide them It won’t be busy. It’s only 110F out. No worries! HA!

And because I neglected, on purpose to get “plus” on our passes, it only cost us an additional $146.97

Happy Birthday, sweet little girl!

Here is our visit to TL in a nutshell. The whole 1 ½ hours of it.

We enter. It is packed. Cannot negotiate the paths. Way too many people. I find one little tiny chair to put our stuff on. Off we go to the wave pool. Wall to wall people, in bathing suits. Think, crammed giant goldfish ponds, with humans. Very very scary. Knocked about. Lost two pairs of goggles. Knock into someone with unbelievably long finger nails. Scratched across my chest. Top of bathing suit came off. Stressed about DD and DS staying away from big people. Had enough. Got out. Walked across very hot sand…ouch.ouch.ouch. Went to lazy river. Sea of arms, legs, feet in face. Very ugly. Got out of that sardine can. Walked back to chair through the little ponds of HOT water. Birthday girl stubs baby toe on chair. Really bad. Crying. Discussion about leaving. NO, says B-Girl Lines for food/drink frightenly long. Go to water slides. AD takes kids up to top to slide. Up, up, up, in 110F heat. Wall to wall hot soggy people going up. Almost up, birthday girl says, “daddy it’s going black” Thump. She faints. From going up heat and lack of drink. No one offers to help. AD carries her down, down, down. All 90 pounds of her. Soggy, wet and hot. DS is complaining all the way down. He wants to slide. Get drinks. Hydrate DD. She’s OK. But wants to leave NOW. Negotiate walking over soggy, hot, bodies (say no more…). Brazilian teenagers are lying about. They aren’t chanting. They just look miserable and hot. Finally, we make it out. Oh no, we took the bus. Wait, wait, wait, for OKW bus.

Ssssstttttteeeeeeeeeerike Two!

I’m sure Typhoon Lagoon is wonderful when it isn’t packed to capacity. Like in January when us crazy Canadians are there enjoying the Florida heat!!! And the locals are wearing winter jackets and mittens!

So, we arrive back at OKW. DD is back to her old self and wants to go to our “waterpark” the pool at OKW. Sounds great!

While we were gone the OKW staff delivered balloons and an autographed card from Minnie. It’s the little things that make you feel better!

At 5:30 we went BY CAR to The Wilderness Lodge for our ADR at Whispering Canyon Café.

We had a great time. We had never dined here but had read all about WCC, and I even consulted Zurg’swife prior, as they are WCC pro’s!

The CM’s were great and DD really enjoyed it when the whole restaurant sang “Happy Birthday”

We waived our napkins. The kids rode the pony’s. And when we asked for ketchup and or straws we got them!!! Our server was chatting with AD at one point and he mentioned that I was a Disneyholic and got most of my information from my imaginary cyber friends on the Boards ;) :lmao: She said there are a lot of people like that who visit the WCC, and one nice family even leaves treats for the CM’s. (Zurg’s was that you?......the CM’s really appreciated it!)

After stuffing ourselves silly, AD and DS were tired and decided to head back to the hotel.

DD wasn’t finished with her birthday and wanted to visit one of the parks. Since it was EMH at MGM, we decided to spend the rest of her day there.

We entered about 8:30pm and immediately went over to R&RC. The stand-by line was 1 ½ hours and no fast passes. DD didn’t want to wait that long and “Tower of Barf” was a no go. No sense in wasting all that good WCC food! Fantasmic had already started so we headed to the other side of the park to see what we could find.

DD really wanted to do WWTBAM but we missed the last show. An hour ago.

We were finding this to be true of a lot of the other shows. I learned that before going to EMH at night, check to see what is opened.

Ssssstttttteeeeeeeeeerike Three!

So, DD and I decided to make our own fun. We took Plutopants, the Maelstrom Mascot on a little MGM photo shoot!

Here is Plutopants at the gate

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k26/Persha_2006/DisneyJuly06261.jpg

With Flick

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k26/Persha_2006/DisneyJuly06264.jpg

And Singin’ in the Rain.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k26/Persha_2006/DisneyJuly06267.jpg

DD and I had fun with Plutopants. And Plutopants enjoyed himself too!

Not knowing what to do after the photo shoot, we decided to try The Great Movie Ride. The line was about ¾ hour long. I think everyone who wasn’t in line at R&RC or ToT or at Fantasmic was at the GMR. In line we met a very nice Family from PA, Mom and two girls, who immediately bonded with DD. DD didn’t care much for the ride as she didn’t really know many of the movies, but had fun with her new friends.

After saying our goodbye’s, we decided there was nothing left to do but go SHOPPING!

Look at this stuff
Isn’t it neat?
Wouldn’t you think my collection’s complete?
Wouldn’t you think I’m the girl
The girl who has everything.

(Little Mermaid)

We checked out all the shops on the street. DD was on a mission to find something “Stitch” for her brother. It was her birthday and she was getting all the attention, so she wanted to do something nice for him. It’s the little things they do…...

She found the perfect Stitch football, and she decided on a nice Disney duffle bag.

It was now time to leave so we headed for the bus.

While on the bus, we were sitting beside a very fussy 5 year old, who was way tired and very over stimulated. I remembered I had glow sticks in my bag, so I gave her one. Remember – glow it forward.
I think the parents could have kissed me. She was immediately enthralled with the glow and it kept her quite the remainder of the ride.

Parents were happy.

CM Driver was happy.

And DD was happy.

She had a good day.

It ended with a mini shopping excursion with Mom. What girl wouldn’t enjoy that on her birthday, especially when you are shopping at WDW.

In the end it wasn’t what she did on her birthday. It was the fact that she was there at The World with her family on her birthday.

And that’s all that mattered!

Up next: Our last day! More EMH and ending our Sizzlefest to The World in the World.

Minnie
09-06-2006, 04:41 PM
WOOHOO YAK is back :cool1:

Yak - your pics of Pluto at MGM are darling. Though that one with the crowds behind him is something else :scared:

jamal
09-06-2006, 05:03 PM
YAK!!! It's a thrill to see the beautiful ever-present smile on your birthday girl. She looks like a dreamgirl. I love the WCC, too. I see you showed Pluto a great time...and he doesn't even look hot!

Great chapter, Yakkety. Keep em coming.
Jam

SoNotAPrincess
09-06-2006, 05:51 PM
Your DD sounds like a treasure...a true princess. I'm glad her birthday turned out so well. The fact that she took all the little setbacks with good grace tells me she has a good mom 'n dad!

Loving your report, YAK!

NAB
09-06-2006, 06:13 PM
Yak you are way funny. That is why we stay away from the water parks too. Can't wait to here about your last day....

Backstage_Gal
09-06-2006, 07:18 PM
YAK, very funny report. Glad you took what some would have called a disastrous day in such stride.

javamom
09-06-2006, 07:36 PM
And because I neglected, on purpose to get “plus” on our passes, it only cost us an additional $146.97

Happy Birthday, sweet little girl!

Sweet fancy Moses as Me(l) would say!!!

Sorry it didn't turn out better at TL :-(

sheridac
09-06-2006, 08:13 PM
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k26/Persha_2006/DisneyJuly06246-1.jpg
YAK!!!! I LOVE THIS PIC!!!!

EMH = EE or is it EE = MC2
I have a headache. You know MATH IS NOT MY FRIEND!!!!

You know they know exactly what is going on. You can tell by the little grin.
:teeth:

Yzma and Kronk
09-07-2006, 12:49 PM
Sorry it took so long to post peeps !

Minnie - yes, the crowds were nuts. This pic was taken at EMH around 8:30pm! Yikes is right!

Jami/SNAP/Marita/NAB/Steph - thanks! DD is a princess.....usually. But pre-adolescence is creeping in!!!!!

SHER - It's one of my fav's as well. Can't you just be there.....now!!!

Working on last day....

Frickles
09-08-2006, 08:24 AM
YAK! I got the picture you sent me from TL, but which one are you? I can't find you all anywhere?

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m39/Frickles89/crowdedwaterpark.jpg

Yzma and Kronk
09-08-2006, 10:50 AM
Frickles - that's so funny...... :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

Over to the left in the pink bather.

:rotfl:

.....but don't laugh everyone, that's what it was like in the lazy river!

:lmao:

sheridac
09-18-2006, 02:41 PM
(pokes head thru cobwebs)

Heeeellllloooo???????????

GeorgiaAristocat
09-18-2006, 03:52 PM
dang. I thought you put up a new episode.

Get crackin! I know you're spending lots of time at the rink!!!!!!

Yzma and Kronk
09-19-2006, 12:46 PM
Amy and Sher and my other faithful readers....sorry for the delay and thanks for not forgetting me.... :blush:

Ending our Trip to The World at The World

Following the leader, the leader, the leader
We’re following the leader whever (s)he may go
We won’t be home till morning, till morning
We won’t be home till morning
Because (s)he told us so

(Following the Leader – Peter Pan)

Dear readers, we have finally arrived at our last full day at the world.

The morning began bright and early with….

AD stressing about leaving and the ride home. “When should we leave, when will the car get packed, what time will that get us home, etc., etc. etc.”

Chill, bud!

Have a smoke and a pancake! (Austin Powers :teeth: )

No pancakes, just leftover “whatever-is-in-the-fridge-because-we-are-leaving-tomorrow” for breakfast.

And it’s EHM at Magic Kingdom…..so move it people!

When will they learn to: “Follow the Leader”......Julie McCoy, Jr!

We are getting really great at negotiating these signs:

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k26/Persha_2006/DisneyJuly06270.jpg

So, we arrive at MK way before the opening. With a prime parking spot, steps from the T&TC! For those who do have a car, use it. You don’t pay for parking if you stay onsite. Most onsite guests now take Disney transportation so you can score some great parking spots. And most often it is much faster than taking the bus. But only if you plan on renting a car for other reasons or you drive your own. It’s not worth it to rent just to get to the parks each morning. Unless you have strollers…

Our plan for the day was to do the Triple Mountains. For DS. He was too short to ride any of the mountains last trip.

We did Space first. DS was an old pro having rode it earlier in the week. AD was going to re-live his childhood by riding Space for the first time in many years. He was very concerned about the seating, since he remembered how it was in the 70’s. Suffice it to say that in those days if the person in front of you got jolted back suddenly, and if you were male, you could get hurt!

In a way that a female wouldn’t understand!

I reassured him that Disney has changed the seating to a much more “politically correct” way.

Many Whoo-hooings were heard upon disembarking!

We hung around Tomorrowland riding our favourties, then it was off to Adventureland for more mountains.

The only lands that are opened during EMH are Space and Fantasy. I knew this because I checked. Learned my lesson well!!

We arrived at the rope drop about 10 minutes early, to a very humorous CM who entertained us until it was time.

Well, most of us.

AD was on the phone. Talking work.

This entertained me. Because of all the people who were scowling at him. I could read their minds…..you all know what they were saying!!

I find this funny. And entertaining. I love to watch people. When their looks of anger/sympathy/disgust came my way, I just smiled. I think this bugged them more than AD on the cell!!

The rope dropped. The phone shut off. And off we went.

My job was to get FP’s for Splash while AD and the kids went to ride GTM. When they returned SM was still a walk on, so we kept our FP’s and rode.

How do you do? With everyone repeating,
Pretty good sure as yer born.

Whoo-Hooty…..DS completed the Triple Mountains!

I wanted to ride Pirates again because I didn’t get a good look at Captain Jack the first time, and this is my ride.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k26/Persha_2006/DisneyJuly06281.jpg

Mad TR photo skillz……they are contagious!

We then passed by an old favourite – the Shooting Gallery! This is one of those exhibits that you wonder why they still continue to operate. Well, we like this one. I remember it during my childhood and now my children enjoy it…..thank goodness for the stash of pressed penny quarters!

I hope Michael Moore isn’t reading…..agh a Canadian with a gun! ;)

Next we took in a bit of nostalgia – The Hall of Presidents. Again, this one I fondly remember from my first visit. Animatronics was so new and cool back in the 70’s and seeing the Presidents together in one room in their period clothing really amazed me. I always wondered (aka; Toy Story) if the presidents come alive when everyone is gone….boy would that be interesting!

As usual, the kids were bored to tears in the pre-film, but somewhat fascinated with the actual presidents.

And the crowd. The guests got a little riled!

There was a group of Clinton supporters who cheered very loudly when he was introduced. Mixed reactions from the crowd over Nixon, Bush Sr. and Reagan.
And it definitely got into a blue state vs. red state thing when the current President was introduced!

I just love American politics!. People are so passionate and it’s quite refreshing! Coming from the political snoozefest that is Canada, I’m impressed by these reactions. Good or bad!

After HofP, the AD brought us another piece of Americana, Funnel Cake!!!

Plus we had about 13 snack credits left, and we had to use those babies up!

Then it was on to another repeat….the number one nostalgia ride….IASW:

Sing along with me now….

it's a world of laughter, a world or tears
its a world of hopes, its a world of fear
theres so much that we share
that its time we're aware
its a small world after all

Sorry!! Hee-hee!

It was getting on lunch time, so we decided to try “the best counter service restaurant at MK” – Cosmic Ray’s. And it was!

Great selection and since we also had many CS credits left, we purchased a meal each, with dessert!

After only eating half of what we got and with many unopened deserts on the table, I decided to “brownie it forward” by looking around for a family who obviously were not on the DDP (and you can pick them out by how little is on their tray!) and passed them on!

We decided at that point that we were done with the MK for the trip and took a nice stroll by the castle,

We said good-bye to Main Street and rode on the Monorail back to the TTC.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k26/Persha_2006/DisneyJuly06295.jpg

AD’s, "we gotta get packing, pack the car, when do we leave"…..stress level was raising by the minute, so we decided to take a little break and get that unpleasantness out of the way.

Plus, I had 14 more loads of laundry to finish.

I know what you are thinking…..laundry on vacation?

Yes, we are those people who actually use the washer and dryer when it is available to us. And AD likes to go home with clean clothes. Remember the “bed bug” thread??? Say no more!

We also took the kids to the OKW Sandbucket pool. No barfing clowns at this resort. A nice slide through Mickey’s head!

http://www.arondaparks.com/images/OKW_Pool.jpg

Late afternoon we planned to go back to Epcot to do “The World” We didn’t get to visit very many countries earlier in the week, and “doing the World” is one of DD’s favourite things. She had to commando the Kidcot Stations and get a stamp from every country, and a birthday wish. She decided it was going to be her birthday for one more day!

When we arrived at Epcot, as it does every afternoon in July……the skies opened!!!

So, we ducked into the character area and got some really nice photo’s. This was momentous because earlier in the week DS announced he was too old for the characters and wasn’t interested in visiting any, let alone pose for pictures with them.

And Chuck and Dave…..

And Around the World we go…..

Started at France for dinner!

We had a great meal…..8 thumbs way up. Wait staff was excellent!

Jacques didn’t ask if we were celebrating anything, but did notice DD’s sash, so the singing started en francais and they presented her with this:

After dinner we went to the France gift shop to purchase a gift for our neighbour’s who were looking after our house.

This is where someone got a big cash bonus!

I found out many countries later that I dropped a $50. bill

In France

On the floor at the wine shop

I know this because I purchased something there with cash. I knew I had a $50. bill and a few $1’s I remember this when I put my money back in my fanny pack! (I blame the Fanny pack….evil things!!!)

I know what you are thinking, dear readers. How could this happen?

Not wearing the fanny pack......the money!!!

American cash confuzzels us Canadian’s because our $1 are coins and as a result, I forget about the $1 bills in the US. Hence I usually have about 20 in my wallet at any given time. Plus, other bills.

And our money in Canada is coloured. Blue for $5, purple for $10, green for $20 and RED for $50. It makes our cash handling lives easier (except for those who are coloured blind…) I don’t remember dropping the 50, but do remember fiddling with a wad of ones, of which the 50 was with them.

Oh well….as they say in France….c’est la vie!

I didn’t bother going back for it, because Karma had played nice with us over DD’s Nintendo earlier in the week and I had no way to prove it was mine!

“It’s mine….that president guy is on the front!”

Yup!

My only hope was that the underpaid cashier found it and she was allowed to keep it as a bonus, or that some deserving child found it and was able to finally purchase that special souvenir that they were hoping for. Maybe Charlie Bucket??

Yes, that’s what happened to it.!

So, if you ever find a 50. In Epcot. You know who it belongs to.

The crazy fanny-pack-carrying-who-can’t-tell-a-50-from-a-1-Canuck!!!

Anyway, continuing our trek….and more characters!

And remember when I said DS kind of liked WDW, but he would better if they had Pokemon…..

Whoo-tooty!…..The Japan gift shop!

DS was in pokemon heaven. He now LOVED WDW and especially Epcot!!!!!!

When we reached Norway, we planned to ride Maelstrom. For my Viking friends.
BUT……as you all remember Maelstrom….is a fastpass?

There were no more fastpasses left…huh??

Probably some Viking took them all for their scrapbook! Who knows, all I know that we didn’t have the time to wait 30 minutes when we had a schedule to keep!

Sorry….but today Maelstrom…..was NOT a fastpass!

Here’s DS in the Norse shop……note the Pokemon on his shoulder!!

And our last stop…..our home Country…..Canada

We reached Canada about 5 minutes before Illuminations was to start.

Talk about Salmon swimming upstream!!

We had already seen Illuminations….the best way you can, so we decided to exit and beat the crowds.

On the way out we made a quick stop to purchase our $99. CD from Photopass.

Then something really strange and unexpected happened.

DS started to cry.

Not just any cry, …..full out sob cry. Shaking cry.

I asked him what was wrong…..and he said,

“I don’t want to leave…..sob, sob, sniff……I want to stay……sob, sob. I want to come here for a month. Blow….sniff, sniff. Can we convince Daddy to stay… Sniff, sniff
Or come back again soon.”

It just about broke my heart!

Except that: He is now one of us!

A full on Disney convert!!

Now, if we can only transform AD!!!

Up next: We leave the world…..but at what time???

sheridac
09-19-2006, 12:51 PM
Yak!! Some lunchtime reading!!!

After HofP, the AD brought us another piece of Americana, Funnel Cake!!
Boy, I sure hope you have a fiver!!!! :teeth:
OR!! Could it be?? Can you use dinning credits for funnel cake. In MK??? But NOT Epicot???

I remember this when I put my money back in my fanny pack! (I blame the Fanny pack….evil things!!!)
Told ya so!!!!! :teeth:

I know what you are thinking, dear readers. How could this happen?

Not wearing the fanny pack......the money!!!
No. I was thinking how could she be wearing a fanny pack!!! :teeth:

“I don’t want to leave…..sob, sob, sniff……I want to stay……sob, sob. I want to come here for a month. Blow….sniff, sniff. Can we convince Daddy to stay… Sniff, sniff
Or come back again soon.”
Aaahh!! Assimiliation!!! Is there anything better??!!

GeorgiaAristocat
09-19-2006, 01:12 PM
AD was going to re-live his childhood by riding Space for the first time in many years. He was very concerned about the seating, since he remembered how it was in the 70’s. Suffice it to say that in those days if the person in front of you got jolted back suddenly, and if you were male, you could get hurt!
Patti!!!! Did you read my backstory about my Mom? This is EXACTLY what I was talking about. Only as a kid, you could have a blanket of fun-killing over you instead of the pain of being a man.

Great episode. I predict an 8:30 a.m. departure. After a hearty breakfast.

Yzma and Kronk
09-19-2006, 01:17 PM
Patti!!!! Did you read my backstory about my Mom? This is EXACTLY what I was talking about. Only as a kid, you could have a blanket of fun-killing over you instead of the pain of being a man.

Great episode. I predict an 8:30 a.m. departure. After a hearty breakfast.

Amy ~ I did read....and I laughed and laughed after I read it......because I had already wrote my space story, just didn't post!!!

BORG baby......see you are funny and didn't know it!!!

Minnie
09-19-2006, 01:19 PM
YAK - Awesome last day :cool1:

BTW - I see your the Maelstrommer I need to talk to. I got a chance at a 2BDR at the OKW for our quick Oct trip. We've never stayed DVC but the sandcastle slide looks just the thing for my DS.

NAB
09-19-2006, 01:26 PM
Yak I can relate with the money thing. Lots of 1 dollar bill left too. My money was always mixed up unlike here we can keep all the same colour together.
That was pretty great thinking about the lost $50. I knew you were kind at heart.

Can't wait for the next installment. Sheri walked though the cobwebs so I knew not to go in .....

Grammyof2
09-19-2006, 01:49 PM
Yak - You think we could get together on a couple of things. :teeth:
I never had so much trouble with money as I did in Canada. Tried to always use a credit card but cause I had a MAJOR SNAFU the 1st 2 days I had to use cash. And I had all these coins which meant nothing to me. Too lazy to find out, so I trusted all of Canada to tell me what amounts they were :lmao:

They made great souvies, I told my Gbabies they were gold pieces :teeth:

Yzma and Kronk
09-20-2006, 09:27 AM
Yak I can relate with the money thing. Lots of 1 dollar bill left too. My money was always mixed up unlike here we can keep all the same colour together....

NAB - I'm glad I'm not the only Canuck with a wad of ones!!

And the reverse happened when we lived in the US. We'd come home and I leave with bagful of $1's and $2's in my purse!

Yzma and Kronk
09-20-2006, 09:28 AM
They made great souvies, I told my Gbabies they were gold pieces :teeth:

Grammy - plus they have chocolate in them!!!

;)

:rotfl2:

Yzma and Kronk
09-25-2006, 10:34 AM
We Leave the World at…….?

I’m going to start this final chapter of “Sizzlefest” with a non-Disney song, since it was the day we were leaving Walt Disney World.

Should I(we) stay or should I(we) go now?
If I(we) go there will be trouble
And if I(we) stay it will be double :teeth:
So come on and let me know
Should I (we) stay or should I (we) go…

(Should I Stay or Should I go – The Clash)

Should we throw caution to the wind and stay?

For a little longer. Because of last night’s tears?

Or if we go…..what time should we leave???

In AD’s mind we have already left. Or should leave. Now. We’ve got to get on the road. Now. Because. We have too. Right now. Get the kids. Let’s go.

It was time to go…. :sad1:

But, before I tell you exactly what time we left, I go back and tell you something that happened last night.

If you recall, I commented earlier in this report that Disney knows all about the DDP and they will get it back. Well, they didn’t. But very close!

We arrived back at OKW about 9:30pm and I immediately realized that we didn’t use up all the credits on our DDP. If we were to leave when AD was suggesting, we wouldn’t have the opportunity to use up those credits and Disney would in fact get it back!

So I said to AD, “Honey, are you hungry? I’m going over to Goods to Go for a minute”

We had 6 snack and 4 counter credits remaining. Which is shocking because we ate a lot on the DDP!

When I arrived at GtoG it was 10 minutes before closing.

I quickly glanced around for anyone who looked like they could use some free food, because I knew we wouldn’t even begin to finish what I was about to order. The place was pretty much deserted. Except for one lady who I thought had the same idea as me.

So I stepped right up to order food we didn’t need and probably wouldn’t eat, but hey, we paid for it!! I ordered 4 bottles of water and 2 Mickey rice-krispy treats for the snack credits, and 4 hamburgers and all the fixing, plus 2 more water, 2 chocolate milks, and 4 more Mickey treats for desert, for the counter credits. The Woman beside me was astonished!!

I countered her look with, “well, we are leaving tomorrow and I have to use up all the left over credits”

Her look went from astonished to puzzled to sheer horror!

About 40 questions came out of her mouth, all at once. And being the good Disney geek that I am, I calmly explained the in’s and out’s of the DDP. She didn’t have a clue. She thought that if they didn’t use their credits on a particular day, they expired that day. She said they never bothered to use the snack credits. At all!

I know you can all guess what happened next.

Yup, she cleaned GtoG out of Mickey treats right there! And frantically ordered extra food. And drinks. They were leaving the next morning as well.

She thanked me, and I felt better for DDPlanning it forward!

After stuffing ourselves, I helped AD with the last minute cramming of the car so we would be ready to leave at….3am!

AD re-thought the leaving at 3am and said “Let’s leave at 4:30am”

After the kids went to bed and we had a minute to sit, AD said, “maybe we should sleep in a little, and then we can leave at 6am”

(during all this I said nothing, just smiled…)

Guess what?

We left at 7am…..

To Olivia’s…..for breakfast!

We drove away from Old Key West at 8:10am! That’s about the time I planned to leave. Ladies, you just have to let them work it out for themselves!!

The rest of my story is all about the drive, so here is the “by the numbers version”:

8:10am leave WDW
11:24 am – GA Welcome center

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k26/Persha_2006/DisneyJuly06009.jpg

1 pm – Sonny’s for lunch (somewhere in GA)
9:15 pm – somewhere in Virginia
11:45pm – Overnight stop at Summersville, WV

July 22nd

8:50am – left Summersville, WV

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k26/Persha_2006/DisneyJuly06005.jpg

2:50pm – arrived at Buffalo airport to pickup AD’s car
3:30pm – cross border to Canada
4:50pm - We’re home!

Time: Approximately 23 hours

Total KM driven: 5,102.8
Total Miles: 3,170.73

And finally, the most important “on the road” observation:

Big Things we saw: (sorry didn't get any pictures!)

Big Indian – Irving NY
Big Peach – Gaffney, SC
Big Peach #2 – Macon, GA
Big Airplane – Ex146 – I-75 GA
Big Rocket – Ex 101 - I-75 GA
Big Peanut – X80 – I-75 GA
Big Baseball – Charlotte, NC

Because why else would they put these big things up along the interstate? For us to look at and report back to you!

Up next: Epilogue

Yzma and Kronk
09-25-2006, 10:45 AM
Early each day to the steps of Saint Paul’s
The little old bird woman comes.
In her own special way to the people she calls,
“Come buy my bags full of crumbs.
Come feed the little birds, show them you care
And you’ll be glad if you do.
Their young ones are hungry,
Their nests are so bare;
All it takes is tuppence from you.”
Feed the birds, tuppence a bag.
Tuppence, tuppence, tuppence a bag.
“Feed the birds,” that’s what she cries,
While overhead, her birds fill the skies.
All around the cathedral the saints and apostles
Look down as she sells her wares.
Although you can’t see it, you know they are smiling
Each time someone show that he cares.
Though her words are simple and few,
Listen, listen, she’s calling to you:
“Feed the birds, tuppence a bag,
Tuppence, tuppence, tuppence a bag.”

(Feed the Birds – Mary Poppins)

I start my Epilogue with this song, not because every time I hear it, I get teary eyed. (which is a good way to end a fabulous trip!) but because it really sums up my feelings about WDW and all things Disney.

Let me explain.

Mary Poppins is my Mother’s all time favourite movie. She has passed this love of the movie on to my daughter. It has become her favourite as well and something she shares with her grandmother.

A little thing.

One night we were watching “Making of Mary Poppins”. The bonus material is included in the 40th Anniversary edition. The Composer of the song, “Feed the Birds” was discussing the fact that this was Walt Disney’s favourite song.

I thought about this.

I then had an epiphany.

A realization.

I knew why I loved all things Disney.

Why I became a “Disneyholic”

And why is it so important to me to visit The World as much as I can.

We all have our reasons, but to me Disney is all about being something really special.

Spending special times with family.

Suggesting to the Anti-Disney husband that we need to visit Disney again!. Even though he isn’t really “into” Disney, he went for me! He get’s it on his level.

It’s the happiness he feels when he see's the looks on our children’s faces at The World. Or the sadness when the tears come when we have to leave.

Or special times with new friends. Which is why I made such a big effort to get down again in September to meet up with a bunch of crazy Vikings whom I met right here on the DISboards!

But Disney is much bigger than just a theme park.

To see a Disney movie or cartoon as a young child was a very special treat.

I was a child in the 1960's, before VCR's and DVD's

I remember watching “Donald Duck in Math Magicland” for the first time in Grade 3 or 4. I was blown away! And I loved learning and singing the songs to many Disney movies during music class.

I remember the last day of school fondly. Not just because it was the last day, but because in the afternoon of the last day we all got to go to the Gym and watch a Disney movie. The movie I remember the most was Mary Poppins. I was about 7 or 8 years old and it made a lasting impression on me!

And sitting down on Sunday evening with the entire family to watch, “The Wonderful World of Disney” on television.

The little things.

The first time I went to Walt Disney World at age 15 it was magical!

A big thing! Huge!

It was explained in the “Making of….” That the ultimate message of the song “Feed the Birds” was, “it’s the small things in life that makes us happy”.

Feed the birds was Walt Disney’s favourite song.

I get it.

The small things

It’s also about charity.

“Giving somebody something they didn’t ask for but they could use.”

And this is part of what it’s all about, what Walt did for us. We didn’t ask, but could use the magic of Disney in thousands of different ways.

Disney is an impression.

Disney is a feeling you get

Disney conjures up so many memories.

Disney is practically perfect in every way.

We went to Disney in July. It was very crowded. People were having melt downs all over the place. Sometimes it got ugly. But it doesn’t have to be.
And it wasn't for us!

It was hot....be prepared. Read the Boards. You'll have a great time! We did!

And, dear readers if you take anything away from my little trip report please let it be this:

When you are at the World, be nice, pay it forward, be happy, have an adventure, don’t let the little things bother you, smile, laugh, sing, do small things to make it an even better place than it is, make family memories, be nice to the CM’s, be nice to everyone you encounter – even the nasty ones, talk to people, and most important, be charitable.

It’s a little thing.

Listen, listen she’s calling to you.

Feed the Birds…..

And as Walt said after hearing his favourite song,

“Yup, that’s what it’s all about”

Thanks so much for reading. I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did putting it to computer! ;)

Final word: Something magical happened when we returned. I’m thrilled to report that it won’t be another 78 years until we visit Disney again. We have an opportunity to go to France next year with some good friends. And guess where we are planning on visiting while there…….Disneyland Paris!!

Let the planning begin…… :mickeyjum

Grammyof2
09-25-2006, 10:46 AM
YAK Just getting in practice :banana:

You crack me up!!! I notice all this crap on the highway!!! And talk about it years later, like somebodies crazy Grammy. Ooopsie, that might not be the right word.

Gram - cause I need to practice listening, too

sheridac
09-25-2006, 11:10 AM
Yakkity Yak!!!

WOMAN!!!

Great report bay-bee!!! Thanks so much for sharing!!!

See ya real soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GeorgiaAristocat
09-25-2006, 12:17 PM
Let me quote me:
I predict an 8:30 a.m. departure. After a hearty breakfast.
Let me quote you:
We left at 7am…..
To Olivia’s…..for breakfast!
We drove away from Old Key West at 8:10am!
Do I win a prize???????

Patti ~
loved the epilogue. Words of wisdom to carry with me next week!

Thanks so much for the wonderful report, I hope you write another about your Viking adventures!

Amy

Yzma and Kronk
09-25-2006, 01:01 PM
Let me quote me:

Let me quote you:

Do I win a prize???????

All prizes to be handed out at the Hippy Dippy! :thumbsup2

~~see you next week!

em'smom
09-25-2006, 11:46 PM
Awwwwwww YAK,

You made me cry. Cause I get it.

Thank you for sharing your trip and family.

Now get ready for your next trip and have a drink for me at the hippy dippy
and hug Mickey for me.

Erin

jamal
09-27-2006, 08:49 AM
YAK (you will be forever Yak to me and Grammy), I am humming Feed the Birds and setting it to Disney visuals thanks to you. This is an excellent way to sum up the Dis-love! It's just right. Does AD agree to a return trip? I bet he does. If you don't convince him, the kids will. The breakdown in Epcot is icing on THAT cake.

Or special times with new friends. Which is why I made such a big effort to get down again in September to meet up with a bunch of crazy Vikings whom I met right here on the DISboards! Oh yeah Bay-bee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Driving 3000+ miles. Unbelievable. I got tired just typing it.

nicolemarie
09-27-2006, 10:18 AM
And, dear readers if you take anything away from my little trip report please let it be this:

When you are at the World, be nice, pay it forward, be happy, have an adventure, don’t let the little things bother you, smile, laugh, sing, do small things to make it an even better place than it is, make family memories, be nice to the CM’s, be nice to everyone you encounter – even the nasty ones, talk to people, and most important, be charitable.

Great wisdom from a great person.

Thanks for the report, Patti.

It has been a treat. And it was so nice to meet you back on that hot July day at Sonny's.

Have a great time this weekend!!

NM :sunny:

tink38
09-27-2006, 03:40 PM
YAK!

Just finished reading the rest of your report and I am sitting here doing the Charlie Brown lip thing. Again.

Everything you said in your epilogue is true. Hope you have a GREAT time this weekend meeting the rest of the Vikings!

LY/MI!