PDA

View Full Version : Coral Reef Review

SnowWitch
07-26-2006, 07:49 PM
This was my first trip back to the Coral Reef since I was a teen. Our party which was on the dining plan was:

Myself (35)
DH (41)
DS1 (16)
DS2 (13)
DD (1)

Appetizers
2 Lobster soups
2 shrimp cocktails

The soup was very good, not outstanding but very good. The shrimp cocktails were very good also. Much better than the shrimp we had at 50's Primetime.

Entrees
4 NY Strip plates

All were ordered medium and all were cooked medium. The scalloped potatoes with cheese served with them were also very good.

Dessert
4 choclate waves

Wow, is all I can say for these. If you love chocolate you will love these!!

Our daughter ordered a chocolate milk and pizza. Which they comped us. Not really sure why, the table next to us also on the dining plan threw a fit because they recieved a seperate bill for their 2 yr old who was not on the dining plan. The manager came out and it was just unpleasant to witness. I wasn't sure if they didn't understand the dining plan or wanted something for nothing. It just amazes me the poeple who think under 3 eats free means all food for under three is free. I mentioned to our server that I was well aware of paying seperate for our daughter and he just smiled and said thank for you but don't worry about it.

I must say after reading all of the so-so reviews on this place I was nervous. But in the end this was our overall best dining experience. The food was prepared as requested and was presented well with the right amount of seasonings and flavor. Our sever Alejandro was the best server of the trip. We used 4 table service credits here. Cash total $258.50. 1-10 rating "10"

indigoxtreme
07-26-2006, 08:45 PM
Thanks for posting. We are going for our first time this trip. :sunny: :thumbsup2

Simbee3
07-26-2006, 09:29 PM
I was a little worried about the ADR that I had made for the Coral Reef, after reading all of the mixed reviews about their service and food. This makes me feel alot better, because this is something the my boys really want to do.

Goofy_4_WDW
07-26-2006, 09:41 PM
Thanks for the review. We are looking foward to trying Coral Reef for the first time in August!

Tosie
07-26-2006, 10:09 PM
Thanks for the review - that's where we'll be having dinner on my birthday!!

Kath2003
07-27-2006, 03:18 AM
Makes you wonder if the family next to you would just wander up to a snack cart in any of the parks and grab their two year old a bottle of water and a Mickey bar....?

Glad you had a good time! If I went, I think I'd just order 2 or 3 chocolate waves ;) Screw the entree!

Minniespal
07-27-2006, 07:41 AM
Enjoyed reading your review ~ Thanx for sharing.

TruBlu
07-27-2006, 08:08 AM
This was also our favorite meal of our trip. I can't wait to go back next year...

bluejasmine
07-27-2006, 09:16 AM
Thanks for the great review! Ive notice Coral Reefs reviews have been better and better lately. We are trying this for the first time Aug 26th

Mom of Sleepy, Bashful and BabyDoc
07-27-2006, 09:27 AM
Thanks for the great review! Ive notice Coral Reefs reviews have been better and better lately. We are trying this for the first time Aug 26th

I've noticed that too. Huh. Wonder why that is.

OP....Glad you had a great time. That's just how we order our steaks also. Thanks for the review! :goodvibes

Dizneydaz
07-27-2006, 07:00 PM
Thanks for the great review. We are thinking of trying CR for the first time in September. We are also on DDP.

It sounds delicious!

LoveMyBoys
07-27-2006, 08:48 PM
Thanks for your great review. I am glad you enjoyed CR. We have an ADR there for December, and I was getting nervous with all the negative reviews. Your review puts me at ease. If my DH hears me trying to change my ADRs again, he will think that I have totally lost my mind (maybe he already thinks that). Thanks again.

robinb
07-27-2006, 09:12 PM
Thanks for your review! We have an ADR for the Coral Reef for lunch. It's nice to know that the steak is good. With the tuna off the menu, the mahi mahi is the most interesting thing that's left.

Disfan3
07-27-2006, 10:09 PM
This was my first trip back to the Coral Reef since I was a teen. Our party which was on the dining plan was:

Myself (35)
DH (41)
DS1 (16)
DS2 (13)
DD (1)

Appetizers
2 Lobster soups
2 shrimp cocktails

The soup was very good, not outstanding but very good. The shrimp cocktails were very good also. Much better than the shrimp we had at 50's Primetime.

Entrees
4 NY Strip plates

All were ordered medium and all were cooked medium. The scalloped potatoes with cheese served with them were also very good.

Dessert
4 choclate waves

Wow, is all I can say for these. If you love chocolate you will love these!!

Our daughter ordered a chocolate milk and pizza. Which they comped us. Not really sure why, the table next to us also on the dining plan threw a fit because they recieved a seperate bill for their 2 yr old who was not on the dining plan. The manager came out and it was just unpleasant to witness. I wasn't sure if they didn't understand the dining plan or wanted something for nothing. It just amazes me the poeple who think under 3 eats free means all food for under three is free. I mentioned to our server that I was well aware of paying seperate for our daughter and he just smiled and said thank for you but don't worry about it.

I must say after reading all of the so-so reviews on this place I was nervous. But in the end this was our overall best dining experience. The food was prepared as requested and was presented well with the right amount of seasonings and flavor. Our sever Alejandro was the best server of the trip. We used 4 table service credits here. Cash total $258.50. 1-10 rating "10"

258 dollars!! wow!!

That is a bargain on the plan! I am very ready to try the shrimp cocktail there

are the shrimp fairly fresh and large??

SnowWitch
07-28-2006, 06:58 AM
The shrimp were large and reasonably fresh. They were difinitely the best shrimp we had while at Disney.

It is definitely a DDP bargain.

ktbugsmom
07-28-2006, 07:08 AM
Thanks SnowWitch!

I just booked my January ADRs and booked CR for our first night. Thought it would be fun for the kids (DS12 and DS6) and something new for the adults - DH and me.

When pricing it out - it sure did look like a DDP bargain! We will be paying for 3 adult plans and one kid plan - and if the cost of our meal comes to $200 (ours would be lower due to one child and 3 adults and you had 4 adults) - that would pay for our plan for the day - then some! :banana:

mumeof3
07-28-2006, 08:24 AM
wow you just made my mind up,we are going with another family{total 9 people}and I was the one who wanted to go here since we are on the DDP and it is free for us,the other family was not to thrilled but hey it's free,so anyway I started to worry about our ADR's and was going to cancell but thanks for your review I am going!!! :cool1:

janets
07-28-2006, 06:33 PM
Glad to hear you enjoyed your meal here. We ate here in April and really enjoyed it. We had 2A and 2C. My ds8 fell in love w/ lobster bisque here and now asks for it at every restaurant we frequent. So we have an ADR for our September trip as well.

I thought the food was very good overall, although it was probably our longest meal of the trip. It was very busy and I could see that it was not because of a problem server, just a lot of tables being handled. We were lucky that both boys (ds8 and ds3.5) enjoyed the view of the tank and trying to pick out all of the fish so it didn't become unpleasant. However, I do hope to be out of there in under 2 hours on the next trip.

Thanks for posting.

ntsammy5
07-28-2006, 06:44 PM

We used 4 table service credits here. Cash total $258.50. 1-10 ating "10"

Thanks, we're eating there in September (for free) and I was a little worried. Nice review.

:dance3: :dance3: :dance3: :dance3: :dance3: :grouphug:

icunurse_celeste
07-29-2006, 09:09 AM
I hate to be a downer- but I ate there last week and it wasn't very good. It was so bad that we changed our reservations there for September for somewhere else.

I will highlight the good aspects:
The appetizers were very good. We too had the lobster bisque & shrimp cocktail. I would recommend both.

My husband & I had the crab cakes for dinner and they were absolutely horrible! The crab tasted old and had a funny smell. It was served on a bed of "hash" which consisted of potatoes & very spicy sausage- which would have been an interesting concept had the sausage not been so hot that it burned my mouth. (Mind you I'm a buffalo wing lover) I did something I have never done before- I sent the meal back. I was really embarassed, but I couldn't force myself to wolf it down. My husband just didn't eat his. I asked if I could have the ceasar salad from the appetizer list and the lettuce was brown on the edges & the ceasar salad dressing tasted as if the oil had become rancid.

One more positive note- yes dessert was awesome. I believe it was the chocolate wave. Very good.

Service was okay, nothing special or nothing bad- just okay.

The ambiance is beautiful and it is great to watch the fish. (We are going diving in the tank after our cruise in September)

I cannot recommend this restaurant with all of the wonderful alternatives in Epcot- there are much better choices- or just do dessert & appetizers. :goodvibes

SnowWitch
07-29-2006, 11:05 AM
I think with all dining establishments they have some dishes that are better than others and some servers are much better than others. We had friends dining at the very same time we were, they enjoyed their food but couldn't complain enough about the snails paced service.

I had read many reviews about the crab cakes and had decided to steer clear of those before I ever hit the door. They seem to get bad to medicore reviews here on the boards.

Sorry you had a poor experience. I had a bad one at my favorite "Le Cellier" but I'm returning in Feb. to try it again. I am a member of the three strikes your off my list club.

dawgfan
07-29-2006, 05:09 PM
We have always had a good experience here an dcannot understand the reviews that really hammer this place. At it's worst it could never be as bad as some people make it out to be.

icunurse_celeste
07-29-2006, 06:06 PM
We have always had a good experience here an dcannot understand the reviews that really hammer this place. At it's worst it could never be as bad as some people make it out to be.

I was told my some of the CM's that since they closed & reopened that they have had a hard time keeping an executive chef- hence the main problem. However their pastry chef seems to be doing a great job. I wonder if they have their own or if there is a team for all of the restaurants?

juanorozco
07-30-2006, 11:24 AM
I just had dinner there about 4 days ago the STEAK was great

Make SURE to ask for a Window next to the aquarium

thats where we went wrong.

DisneyFreq
07-30-2006, 01:21 PM
There is both a sirloin and a ny strip listed on the lunch menu. Anyone have an opinion as to which is better???

MinnieGi
07-31-2006, 10:08 PM
We also just ate here for dinner on July 27th and had a wonderful time!! We requested a booth and were placed in the front row of booths. What a great view of the aquarium. The kids just loved it!!!! They loved pointing out the sharks, sea turtles, divers, and schools of fish. We have an almost 2yo who of course was not on the dining plan but our waitress gave us lots of suggestions how to share our meal with choices he would like.

Apps: Shrimp cocktail
Lobster bisque
Linguini (which 2 yo DS used as his meal)

Entrees: two crab cake meals
DD ordered pasta from kids menu

Dessert: Creme Brulee
Chocolate Wave
Make your own sundea

DH and I liked the crab cakes. They tasted and smelled very fresh. I was surprised when another poster noted the sausage was very hot - our was not. 5yo DD tried some also and liked it and she tells you when something burns in her mouth. So I guess it depends on who is cooking the evening you go!!

icunurse_celeste
08-01-2006, 04:33 PM
We also just ate here for dinner on July 27th and had a wonderful time!! We requested a booth and were placed in the front row of booths. What a great view of the aquarium. The kids just loved it!!!! They loved pointing out the sharks, sea turtles, divers, and schools of fish. We have an almost 2yo who of course was not on the dining plan but our waitress gave us lots of suggestions how to share our meal with choices he would like.

Apps: Shrimp cocktail
Lobster bisque
Linguini (which 2 yo DS used as his meal)

Entrees: two crab cake meals
DD ordered pasta from kids menu

Dessert: Creme Brulee
Chocolate Wave
Make your own sundea

DH and I liked the crab cakes. They tasted and smelled very fresh. I was surprised when another poster noted the sausage was very hot - our was not. 5yo DD tried some also and liked it and she tells you when something burns in her mouth. So I guess it depends on who is cooking the evening you go!!

I'm glad you had a great time- the aquarium is wonderful. I adore crabcakes, I'm glad yours were better than ours. :thumbsup2

UtahMama
08-01-2006, 04:49 PM
Thank Goodness I ran across this! We're going here on Sept. 13 (my B-day!) and really are looking foreward to it. Makes me nervous when there's bad reviews or someone gets sick somewhere... I think we'll enjoy the aquariums and the divers.
I expect my 2 year olds lobster to be FREE!!! (Just Kidding!)

Thank You for posting something positive! Hope I get your server (I wrote down his name and will try to request him!)

Thanks!
UtahMama

Disney owl
08-02-2006, 08:38 AM
Thanks for sharing

Manda_the_pirate
08-02-2006, 12:05 PM
I really want to go to CR. My poor sister is scared to go though. My mom has been reading the reviews, and sadly decided not to go. She read to many bad ones. We decided to go to Merikesh instead. Should be good.

HaleyB
08-05-2006, 12:16 AM
We have eaten at the CR a few times and our experiences have ranged from outstanding to good. Last October at the very end of free dining the place was a mad house. The pace of the meal was all off, but the food was excellent as always.

We are going back this October. I can't wait! Love the Chocolate Wave.

ThreeAngels
08-05-2006, 09:23 AM
:thumbsup2 Thanks for sharing your review. It was wonderful. Glad you had such a nice experience. Makes me look even MORE forward to eating at CR in October!!! We can't wait! :banana: :banana: :yay:

Tikitoi
08-05-2006, 10:06 AM
Meal sounds great! And glad all went well! This will definitely be on our list for when we go, even if just for lunch. Chocolate Wave :goodvibes

Ron from Michigan
08-05-2006, 11:27 AM
Thanks for the great review. We will be eating at CR for the first time in December so it was nice to read your positive review. :)