PDA

View Full Version : Status Card And Passports

j-bear88
07-24-2006, 04:12 PM
I am planning on making a trip down to the states but do I HAVE to have my passport if I present my native status card?

digskat
07-24-2006, 06:55 PM
Passport requirements have been delayed, so if your status card was enough before, you are good to go for a couple more years.

tone.def
07-24-2006, 07:53 PM
I am planning on making a trip down to the states but do I HAVE to have my passport if I present my native status card?

I'd check with Indian Affairs if I was you...

OntFamily
07-24-2006, 08:55 PM
The only current requirement for Canadian citizens, born in Canada, is a government issued photo ID, AND proof of Canadian citizenship (ie birth certificate).

Usually, the border guard will accept a much laxer version of ID (ie drivers license). However, if they become fussy, they may require the proff required above.

I didn't comment directly on your status card, as I wasn't sure if you needed to be a Canadian citizen to have one (though I'm assuming you do).

sammi
07-25-2006, 09:10 AM
Very interesting question......DH is also a Status Indian but we've always had passports for myself and him so I'm not really sure but I would call Indian Affairs and ask.......I'll keep an eye on this thread as we've wondered about this too. :)

misslissa
07-25-2006, 05:19 PM
Hello!

I crossed the border during the Canada Day weekend and presented my driver's license. They looked at it and asked for my birth certificate.

Unfortunately, I didn't have my birth certificate but I handed over my native status card and they laughed and said that I guess they wouldn't be needing my birth certificate.

If you have a license or birth certificate... you should be fine.

I think the laws don't change until the new year. :wizard:

j-bear88
07-27-2006, 12:57 PM
I only have my short form birth certificate, will I need to get my full sized? And I just barely receieved my status card and I havent been to the states since i was little and well at that time everything was different... So ive never used my card with customs.. by the way im flying... does that make a difference on the passport thing?

misslissa
07-27-2006, 04:38 PM
Nope, you should be fine. Get everything you can on you.

I'm not sure the difference between long and short birth certificates but the one I have is card sized, mind you it is from 1983.

Also, bring your health card, license and status. You'll have no problem! :thumbsup2

RoyalCanadian
07-27-2006, 06:13 PM
A health card is not a valid form of identification -- just try using one at the Ministry of Health office to prove who you are and you'll find that out quick enough. The LCBO does not accept it as proof of identification, nor can anyone accept it as proof of age for the sale of liquor in restaurants and bars.

Folks should know that a status card generally trumps everything else when crossing the border between Canada and the United States. While Canada does not recognize the sovereignty of First Nations it should be noted that the United States government is on record as recognizing the sovereignty of First Nations -- especially the Six Nations (aka Iroquois Confederacy).

The Ontario driver's license is a joke as a secure form of identification as they have been counterfeited so many times.

The Six Nations apparently have their own passport.

j-bear88
07-27-2006, 10:35 PM
Well I was doing research on the net and I found they want long form... I immediately assumed it meant Full size.... I only have my card size one... is there a difference between the two? Will they get mad if I show my birth certificate. And so basically... All I need is status card and proof of canadian residency/citizenship??

tone.def
07-27-2006, 10:47 PM
And so basically... All I need is status card and proof of canadian residency/citizenship??

Listen, for you it is seriously best to contact Indian Affairs. None of us work at customs, I don't think anyone works for the government here, so instead of getting speculative answers and being disappointed at the border - go straight to the source and ask them.

OntFamily
07-28-2006, 09:22 PM
Listen, for you it is seriously best to contact Indian Affairs. None of us work at customs, I don't think anyone works for the government here, so instead of getting speculative answers and being disappointed at the border - go straight to the source and ask them.

A Canadian government authority cannot give an opinion on what the US government will accept. If you want 100% info, consult the US government.

misslissa
07-29-2006, 07:14 AM
Like I said early on... when they asked for a birth certificate and I gave them my Native Status card, the girl looked almost embarrassed for asking in the first place.

So, don't worry about it. I have never seen anyone ask for a passport, ever... and I have lived at the border for the past 10 years. And, crossed sometimes every weekend.

And no, Six Nations doesn't have their own passport.

Northstar
07-29-2006, 10:09 AM
jbear, when are you planning your trip? I mean, is it a big, planned-in-advance trip or are you just driving across the border someday soon? Because I haven't heard anything about the U.S. making exceptions when the new passport requirements come in... it's gonna be a passport, or an equally secure photo ID document (border crossing card). Period. No mention anywhere of extending the current acceptance of status cards. Maybe more bands will start issuing passports....

Anyway, the status card should be good till the end of the year for air/sea trips and till the end of 2007 for land crossings. Here's a link to the US embassy in Canada's site... I figured they were the best people to give straight info on your issue. The info is about halfway down this page.

http://help.customs.gov/cgi-bin/customs.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=619&p_created=1056630853&p_sid=-3DTUKdi&p_accessibility=0&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPSZwX3NvcnRfYnk9JnBfZ3JpZHNvcnQ9JnBfc m93X2NudD01NjgmcF9wcm9kcz0mcF9jYXRzPSZwX3B2PSZwX2N 2PSZwX3NlYXJjaF90eXBlPWFuc3dlcnMuc2VhcmNoX25sJnBfc GFnZT0x&p_li=&p_topview=1

deany
07-30-2006, 12:24 PM
I don't think it matters if the Birth certificate is the long form or the card sized one. My DH does not have a passport yet and he always uses his card sized one. :sunny: :sunny: :sunny:

RoyalCanadian
07-30-2006, 06:43 PM
And no, Six Nations doesn't have their own passport.

According to my friend who is a Six Nations negotiator and a Mohawk Warrior at Caledonia, they do.

misslissa
07-30-2006, 09:14 PM
According to my friend who is a Six Nations negotiator and a Mohawk Warrior at Caledonia, they do.

Well, then hook me up!

I'm also Six Nations, and got nothin'... :rolleyes:

Last I knew, I was Canadian... I would think that someone would have a hard time presenting that in another country?!?!

RoyalCanadian
07-31-2006, 12:08 AM
Well, then hook me up!

I'm also Six Nations, and got nothin'... :rolleyes:

Last I knew, I was Canadian... I would think that someone would have a hard time presenting that in another country?!?!

He suggested that there were about 30 countries that do recognize the sovereignty of the Iroquois Confederacy. The United States is one of them -- Canada does not recognize the sovereignty of the Six Nations.

Now -- of course -- this is just his word vs. that of anyone else who might choose to disagree. At the time he was telling me this, I wasn't about to disagree with any Mohawk Warrior.

MouseFaninQueue
07-31-2006, 01:39 AM
Just last Oct I crossed to the States with my family and all I had was my BCDL and my short-form Birth Certificate.

The difference between the shortform and the long form (at least here in BC) is that the long form has parentage on it. Usually a good idea when you take smaller kids across, however, when I went across last Oct we only had our daughters' short form with us and there wasn't a problem whatsoever.

For our trip coming up however, we have elected to get our passports.