PDA

View Full Version : 'Ohana Dinner Review - 7/13/06

nybound
07-24-2006, 11:33 AM
The dining reviews continue with our dinner at 'Ohana on July 13th. We chose 'Ohana based on a wonderful time last year (and the fact that it is quite kid friendly).

We arrived about five minutes before our 6:00 pm ADR. We waited about 10 minutes for a table mostly because there was a wedding party ahead of us that was taking some time to get situated.

Once we sat down, we quickly got our beverages and the food started coming! As been noticed elsewhere, there have been several chances to the appetizers in the past year. Noticeably, the wontons and fried rice are gone and replaced by wonton chips and scalloped potatoes. None of us missed a beat with these changes. The fried wonton chips were a big hit with the kids.

In addition, the first course contained barbeque chicken wings, mixed vegtables, and salad. None of this is what I would consider "to die for" items, but that didn't keep us from gobbling it up. I'm a big fan of the salad with the honey lime dressing. DW liked the chicken wings, and the kids kept eating the wonton chips. I can't comment on the scalloped pototoes, they kind of sat there neglected (DW and I don't eat potatoes, and the kids only eat potatoes that are fried).

Soon after, the shrimp arrived in a bowl (as opposed to skewers in the past). At this point, the rest of the food was ignored and the DW and I plowed into the shrimp. We are big shrimp eaters, and we were not disappointed by the taste or number of shrimp.

Next up, and probably a little too soon, came the skewers of meat. The choices were beef, turkey, sausage, and pork. Along with these, there are three dipping sauces (which also work well with the wonton chips): a peanut sauce (my personal favorite), chimichurri sauce, and harissa sauce. The last two I would describe as a barbeque sauce and a soy-like sauce. I tended to stick with the peanut sauce. I wouldn't say any of the meats were outstanding, but they were still good. I tended to stick with beef and pork.

During all of this, the kids went up and took part in a few activities around the restaurant.

Finally, once we had stuffed ourselves (which given the frequency of the food was about 20 minutes), the bread pudding arrived. I have to say that I really like this! The bread is similar to what I call easter bread (or challah for those that know what that is). On top is vanilla ice cream. And, on the side is a bananas foster sauce. Even though we were all stuffed, we managed to finish this (okay, I managed to finish it).

In summary, we had another good time at 'Ohana's. The only troubling aspects were that the food came out too quickly for us, and that there was way too much of it. For a family of four, we left a good portion of the food on the table (and some things were barely touched). We felt we were wasting food.

Pictures to follow.

nybound
07-24-2006, 11:35 AM
http://www.theatredb.com/WDW06/Ohana-06/IMG_1437.jpg

Salad with the honey-lime dressing.

nybound
07-24-2006, 11:36 AM
http://www.theatredb.com/WDW06/Ohana-06/IMG_1438.jpg

The fried wonton chips.

nybound
07-24-2006, 11:38 AM
http://www.theatredb.com/WDW06/Ohana-06/IMG_1439.jpg

The dipping sauces (trying to look like a hidden mickey). The peanut sauce is the bottom one. The chimichurri sauce and harissa sauce are the other two. Sorry, I forget which one is which.

nybound
07-24-2006, 11:39 AM
http://www.theatredb.com/WDW06/Ohana-06/IMG_1441.jpg

Barbeque chicken wings.

nybound
07-24-2006, 11:40 AM
http://www.theatredb.com/WDW06/Ohana-06/IMG_1443.jpg

The shrimp before they disappeared. There is more in that bowl that it looks in the picture.

nybound
07-24-2006, 11:42 AM
http://www.theatredb.com/WDW06/Ohana-06/IMG_1444.jpg

The mixed vegetables and scalloped potatoes. The poor potatoes sat there for the entire meal.

nybound
07-24-2006, 11:43 AM
http://www.theatredb.com/WDW06/Ohana-06/IMG_1450.jpg

The fire pit. The meat looks more appetizing this way that it does on my plate.

nybound
07-24-2006, 11:44 AM
http://www.theatredb.com/WDW06/Ohana-06/IMG_1445.jpg

DD7 and DD4 enjoying themselves (or at least staying out of trouble for a few moments).

nybound
07-24-2006, 11:46 AM
http://www.theatredb.com/WDW06/Ohana-06/IMG_1448.jpg

Finally, the bread pudding. Wow, did I like this.

I'll be making this at home.

mom2my3kids
07-24-2006, 11:55 AM
Hhmmmm Hmmmmm that looks yummy. I can't wait until october, we have reservations at O'hanas...Thanks for the great review and great pics.. Now I am hungry.. :bitelip:

Komplex
07-24-2006, 01:37 PM
I have to admit that I have narrowed my TS restaurants to 8 and I need 6 so I am a little on the fence about this restaurants especially with a vegetarian DW and two picky children. This review helps.

richard_andmel
07-25-2006, 06:37 AM
Really enjoyed the review and pictures. Glad you enjoyed your dinner.

bellenbuzz
07-25-2006, 07:53 AM
Group of 10ppl going in November, none of us have ever eaten at Ohana's before, I am really looking forward to it !!

YUMMY YUMMY FOR MY TUMMY !! :teeth: ::yes::

Minniespal
07-25-2006, 05:10 PM
Enjoyed reading your review ~ Thanx for sharing.

newman7501
07-25-2006, 05:38 PM
Thanks for the great review and pictures, can't wait to eat there in December :)

ConcKahuna
07-25-2006, 05:44 PM
I could really go for one or 2 of those bread pudding dishes right now... :crazy:

swankybeth
07-25-2006, 06:28 PM
Great review and pictures, thanks for taking the time to post. Your DD's are adorable, BTW. :goodvibes

bdink921
07-28-2006, 04:05 PM
Thanks for the review--adding 'Ohana to our dining list!!!

sunny_
07-29-2006, 01:54 PM
Great detailed review and awesome pictures. Thanks! The shrimp looks delicious!

Mom of Sleepy, Bashful and BabyDoc
07-29-2006, 02:15 PM
Thanks for the review. Everything looked awesome...........I would love that bread pudding. :cloud9:

dawgfan
07-29-2006, 04:51 PM
We love Ohanas too. Have not been since the changes were made. We are looking foward to it.

RobinMarie
07-29-2006, 04:54 PM
Excellent review! :thumbsup2

dawgfan
07-29-2006, 05:52 PM
Enjoyed the review

Amyrlin
07-30-2006, 09:55 AM
The shrimps look nice, we haven't been since that change. I don't like the potatoes but love those chicken wings!

JerseyGirl114
08-03-2006, 12:08 PM
Thanks so much for posting this. We love Ohana's but I was getting a little worried about the not so great reviews with the new menu & such. Your pics helped me get over my fears and keep our original plans :teeth:

Bellenbuzz - We're going to be at Disney on the same day according to our tickers - when are you going to Ohana's? We will be there on 11/11 for my mom's b-day.

Ron from Michigan
08-04-2006, 03:54 AM
Thanks for the great review and pictures. We will be dinning at O'hanas for the first time in December. :)

Dennyha
08-04-2006, 04:58 AM
Great review.

Would you recommend Ohana for a married couple without children?

nybound
08-04-2006, 03:16 PM
Great review.

Would you recommend Ohana for a married couple without children?

If you are looking for something quiet, then stay away. If you can enjoy seeing kids happy and jumping around (even it they are not your own), then go for it.

It can be loud and raucous at times, but I find it all in good fun. That, and I personally like the food (whether it's the new menu or the old).

bellenbuzz
08-07-2006, 12:18 PM
We have our ADR's for November 14th BECAUSE it is My Mom's Birthday (Its her Actual Day) So We thought Ohanas would be fun since there is group of 10 of us !!
How Cool Is That !!
Did you request or do anything special at Ohanas for your Mom's Birthday ????

I would love to run into a DIS'er that I have chatted with when I am at WDW, I think that would be so fun & special !!

We are staying at POR/AB.

Our vacay will be here before we know it !!
Now My 5yr old DD is picking out the Smilie Dudes:
:happytv: popcorn:: :wave: :drinking1 :chat: :hmghost: :mickeyjum :donald: :tigger: :sulley: :stitch: :simba: :figment:

Disney owl
08-07-2006, 12:31 PM
Thanks for the report & great photos

tpholland
08-07-2006, 08:14 PM
we ate here for the first time last sept. it was great!!! :yay: we were disappointed that the rice was gone, but the potatoes were excellent. we were STUFFED by the time the bread pudding came along, but it was sooooo good that we ate it all & ordered more ( we ate all of that too) i still can't beleive it! :teeth:

PrincessPatty
08-07-2006, 09:25 PM
Enjoyed the review - booked Ohana for the first time in September!

misspickle
08-09-2006, 03:45 AM
the food looks great i've booked there for xmas dinner looking forward to it now :teeth:

saffymom
08-09-2006, 07:52 AM
Thanks for the pics and review! I made an ADR for our trip in Jan/Feb and I'm so excited! It will be our first time eating here! :teeth:

forever 35
08-15-2006, 09:58 PM
Trying to make up my mind. I am considering doing Ohana over California Grill with DH and 2DD ages 9 and 12. It is my birthday and I already have CG booked but now am concerned the girls will not like the meal at CG, but I love fireworks. What is a Disney fan suppose to do? Can anyone compare? I think they are probably very different experiences...

jenr812
08-15-2006, 11:21 PM
Fabulous review, and pictures to boot :goodvibes!!! Love it! We really enjoyed the shrimp skewers last July and were disappointed to hear they'd changed them, but I am glad to hear that the newly prepared shrimp is still yummy! The bread pudding looks delish as well. I can't wait to go back to 'Ohana!

forever35 - You are right, they are two completely different experiences. We loved them both. CG is more refined (definitely no coconut races or hula hooping there!) but they both have an open type cooking area. My entire family enjoyed CG (DH, me, and kids who were then 11, 6, and 2.) I would recommend both honestly - is there a different TS meal you could skip instead of one of these? If not, then I guess I would recommend 'Ohana because you have to experience it - and you can see fireworks from there too. Good luck with your decision :)

forever 35
08-16-2006, 06:16 AM
Jen812,

Here are a list of my ADR's. WI would appreciate any thoughts or recommendations

Coral Reef- dinner
Le Cellier- dinner
Sc-Fi- lunch
Donald Breakfastaurus (pay out of Pocket if I don't chanage to Ohana)
Akershus breakfast
California Grill/ or Ohana ????

thanks!! :sunny:

MINNIE OF TWO MICE
08-20-2006, 10:44 PM
Group of 10ppl going in November, none of us have ever eaten at Ohana's before, I am really looking forward to it !!

YUMMY YUMMY FOR MY TUMMY !! :teeth: ::yes::
YOU WONT REGRET IT. WE LOVE IT AND THE DESSERT IS OUT OF THIS WORLD...............SO SAVE ROOM!

forever 35
08-21-2006, 08:08 AM
Thanks everyone! We decided to go with Ohana after reading everyone's reviews. It sounds like a lot of fun. :banana: