PDA

View Full Version : Walking Tour of Key West on your own? And need directions...

J&ADisneyMom
07-24-2006, 11:49 AM
Hi Everyone

Only 88 days til we sail and I've been busy planning our excursions. We were considering doing the Walking Tour of Key West through DCL, but it will overlap a bit with our brunch ressies at Palo. Has anyone done a walking tour on their own? Where did you get your map and what did you see? We would like to go to Kermits Lime Shoppe, the cigar factory, and maybe the Butterfly Conservatory. Are these places within walking distance or would we need transportation?

Oh, also, has anyone done the Jeep Tour in Coz? I'm looking for feedback...

Thanks,
Shell

PS-Hi Shirley (I'm pretty sure you'll see this post). We were there last March and stopped to visit you when we were looking for Grills. Only 3 months and we'll be back in your area. Maybe we'll get a chance to stop in and say hi, again!!

datsyukchick
07-24-2006, 12:03 PM
I haven't done the jeep tour in coz myself, but I met a lot of people who have, and everyone had an absolutely amazing time. If we weren't going with a 7-year old, that is one excursion I would definitely book :thumbsup2

snelsonbrown
07-24-2006, 12:11 PM
Hello there Shell - do NOT do the walking tour - I have maps, coupons etc that will help you do it all on your own - you are talking about a 2 by 4 Island and you will only stay on Duval, Whitehead and Simonton Street and besides that, where the Magic will be, well you are in front of Mallory Square and they have all types of stuff also there is a Chamber of Commerce right there at Mallory Square that will also help you with maps etc - I have coupons that are good until 10/16/06 that gives you two for the price of one to the following places:
CONCH TOUR TRAIN
HARRY S. TRUMAN LITTLE WHITE HOUSE
BUTTERFLY CONSERVATORY
OLD TOWN TROLLEY TOURS
PIRATE SOUL MUSEUM
ERNEST HEMINGWAY
KEY WEST AQUARIUM
SHIPWRECK HISTOREUM
MEL FISHER MARITIME MUSEUM
AND FINALLY
RIPLEY'S BELIEVE IT OR NOT.

you are most welcomed to send me a self address envelope to The Perfect Gift, 6550 NORTH ATLANTIC AVE, CAPE CANAVERAL, FLA 32920 AND I WILL PUT ONE IN IT AND PUT RIGHT BACK IN THE MAIL IT GOES.
Hope that helps
Always
Shirley

suz72
07-24-2006, 02:55 PM
Hi Shell :wave2:

Hi Shirley,

I am on the same cruise as Shell, which is October 21st, 2006...the coupons expire just before then. Do you think there will be more? At the time we cruise my DDs will be 4 & 7. Which activities on Key West do you think will have the most appeal to them? I have written down your address and will send you a SASE but I think I will wait if there will be more coupons possibly.

I am also interested in doing a gift basket. I want to include those personalized Disney books where they put your child's name into the story. If I order the books and then send them to you...could you include them in a basket??

Thanks

J&ADisneyMom
07-24-2006, 04:27 PM
Hi Shirley, I knew you'd be around! How are things? How is the shop? I'm sure you are keeping busy. Thanks for the offer of coupons. Susan's right, we won't be in Key West until 10/22. I was there on a cruise about 9 years ago and vaguely remember the port and Mallory Sq. I'll just look for the Chamber and get a map and info there. If you happen to get new coupons, will you let me know and I'll send along a SASE. Thanks so much!

Hi Susan, only 88 days!!! Yeah!!!!!!!!

Datsyukchick, thanks for the feedback. I hate to book my dh and his buddy on something lame and then have to hear about it for days afterward :0)

Shell

Momeska
07-24-2006, 05:01 PM
We sailed in May, 2005 and walked around Key West on our own. It was DH, DS13 & DS17 so we weren't at all interested in the bar scene. We walked over to Hemingway House :cat: :cat: :cat: to see the polydactyl kitties and then to the buoy thingy (Most southernly point or whatever it's called). Otherwise, we just walked around the shops. DH loves 'Crazy Shirts' and DS17, a domer :shamrock: , loved 'Irish Kevins". Both are higher end type stores. There are lots of cheesy stores but also nice ones. It's pretty typically touristy so there are maps everywhere. It was fun touristy though. Hopefully in October, the weather will be a little cooler for you. In May, it was HOT!!! :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: I drank a litre of water just walking down one street. Everything is close by. The farthest you'll probably walk is to the buoy and that might be a mile from the ship, if that. Enjoy!
:wave2: Linda

bethsg
07-24-2006, 05:48 PM
We have done Key West twice, and had the best time renting scooters and checking out the whole area. It was very reasonable price wise. Driving there is so slow paced anyway... a scooter is a fun way to get around. If you have children, you can also rent these golf cart type cars which I think the kids would get a kick out of those. They are easy to get around in Key West, see all the sights, and enjoy the beautiful weather. I would do it again in a heartbeat! I haven't used this place, but I did find a link for a location on Duval st, so you can see what I mean by the car type golf carts...

http://bellsouthpwp.net/t/r/troprent/index.htm

webray
07-24-2006, 06:07 PM
Don't book excursions in Key West through DCL, Key West is so easy to do on your own. Depending on the number of people in your party, rent one of the golf cart cars when you get there. They give you the map, a phone number to call if you have trouble and away you go. The cars are easy to use, easy to park and you can cover a lot of ground in a little bit of time.

We figured we would need the car for 4 hours, we saw everything we needed in two, (this was our second time to key west..so we did have specific places we wanted to go, some new, some repeats) covered the stuff near the dock on foot when we got back. When we pulled up the people who rented us the car were all concerned we had a problem, we said oh no, we just finished earlier than we figured. They said no problem, they adjusted our contract for 2 hours instead of 4, we settled up and we were off. It was excellent.

Sue (mom of 3 boys!)
07-24-2006, 06:50 PM
We walked all over Key West in April. We had a map (Chamber of Commerce sent me a lot of stuff) and walked it on our own. Don't miss the southernmost point if you haven't been there. Best key lime pie IMHO is the Blonde Giraffe-by slice or by stick, mmmm, it's soooo good!
I wouldn't pay to walk around w/DCL--it's easy to do on your own with a map, and I'm Shirley will take care of you with that!
Have fun!

J&ADisneyMom
07-24-2006, 07:07 PM
Thanks so much for all of the feedback. I think we'll skip the Southern Most Point, since we did it last time. Our kids are too little to understand or care. Also, last trip, we rented scooters. My dh will never let me forget that I was in the lead and started heading out onto Rt 1!! The golf carts look fun, too. A while back, Shirley posted where to get the best Key Lime Pie. I believe The Blonde Giraffe was on the list along with a few others (I have them written down-Jose Cantina on White St and Tree Top Restaurant in Mallory Sq). I love key lime pie and can't wait to have it in Key West again. Does anyone know about the Key Lime Shooters at Hogs Breath? They sound interesting; might give them a try if I can get my parents to take the kids for a while.

Shell

snelsonbrown
07-24-2006, 07:43 PM
I LOVED Hog's Breath but I don't feel you can really enjoy it with kids, but with mine and Norm's age, kids wouldn't be a problem :-) -everyone is all grown up except the great grands - I remember the Southermost part when there was nothing there but Albert and his beautiful shells that he sold to the tourist (which was far and in between) - he also would blow the conch shell to any tune you wanted - in fact when Norm and I married, we married at the Sothermost Point and Albert played the wedding march with the conch shell - he was up in age and has now passed away and unfortunalty due to many factors, his children did not pick up the trade as Albert did from his grandfather and then his father - at one time, this is where the Bahamians would swim since fishing was better there than any place and close to Bahama Village - Norm and his friends would swim there often and at one time, his buddies cut the cable that ran from key West to Cuba and there were some mighty upset folks - Norm had a good excuse - he was sick that day and a good thing since the local boys parents sure had plans for their sons when they got home :-) ----
Anyhow that is all the tidbits for the day.
Have a great weekend everybody.
Hugssssssssss
Shirley and Norm
the two ol' conchs (konks)

cruisinthecarribean
07-24-2006, 09:43 PM
I used to live in the keys. Get on the Conch train (up Duval St. ask anyone), see the island, and scope out what you want to go back to!

suz72
07-25-2006, 12:29 AM
We have done Key West twice, and had the best time renting scooters and checking out the whole area. It was very reasonable price wise. Driving there is so slow paced anyway... a scooter is a fun way to get around. If you have children, you can also rent these golf cart type cars which I think the kids would get a kick out of those. They are easy to get around in Key West, see all the sights, and enjoy the beautiful weather. I would do it again in a heartbeat! I haven't used this place, but I did find a link for a location on Duval st, so you can see what I mean by the car type golf carts...

Ooo, thank you for the link. My kids would think that one of these cars is the best thing ever!! :banana: We may rent one.

mr.b
07-25-2006, 03:24 PM
We did the tour on our own in May. For adults walking wasn't a problem. It was hot and humid, but the 3 adults were okay. Our 7 year old grandson was hot, tired and bored. W used those terrific buy-one-get-one-free coupons, which helped a great deal. Went to the Hemingway House, Southernmost Point, Butterfly Conservatory and ate key lime pie at the Blonde Giraffe. I wanted to go to the Fort Zachary Taylor State Park, but my companions were too warm and tired. Hope you get to see all, and have a tremendous time. :)

ps. when you get off of the ship, there is a bench along the pier, that faces the forward, starboard side of the Magic. It is a good spot to take a picture of the family and have 2/3 of the Magic as a backdrop.

cinderella_mom
07-25-2006, 03:50 PM
ps. when you get off of the ship, there is a bench along the pier, that faces the forward, starboard side of the Magic. It is a good spot to take a picture of the family and have 2/3 of the Magic as a backdrop.

Great tip. Thanks.

cpdrn7
07-26-2006, 11:17 AM
how do I go about getting the coupons? is there a website I should visit? we are going in a few weeks!! thanks

snelsonbrown
07-26-2006, 12:46 PM
You can send your SASE to The Perfect Gift, 6550 North Atlantic Avenue, Cape Canaveral, Fla 32920 -----these coupons expire on October 15, 2006, but I have the original full sheet of coupons - the 2 for one deal.
Have a great time in my hometown
always
Shirley

cpdrn7
07-26-2006, 02:14 PM
you are so sweet!! I know your hometown is precious but what would you say in your opinion is a must? We won't be back for years...it is just four adults..no kids.
I dropped my envie in the mail already...thanks again.

msr709
07-26-2006, 02:34 PM
We have done Key West twice, and had the best time renting scooters and checking out the whole area. It was very reasonable price wise. ...

Would love to do the island with these carts, where exactly do we go once we get off the ship? It will be a party of 3 adults and this sounds just up our alley. And btw we're also on the same cruise 10/21/06, can't wait!! :banana: :banana: