PDA

View Full Version : Conditioner & Shampoo? Tub size?

catjammies
07-24-2006, 10:36 AM
Do they supply CONDITIONER as well as shampoo?

Are the tubs where an adult could SIT in them? - i know they can't LAY in them. My elderly parents are going.....

mattmommy
07-24-2006, 11:17 AM
I would bring my own conditioner. It's a shampoo/conditioner type thing. The tub is really small. Can you get a handicapped accessible room for them? Maybe they could sit on the edge and bathe or something, but unless they're pretty spry I don't know how they'll get out of the tub.

Whisker
07-24-2006, 02:16 PM
Ooh I agree with the poster above..... Unless your parents are really flexible and don't have movement/joint problems, I don't think they will be sitting in the tub. (At least in the regular rooms, maybe the handicap ones are better.)

The only other thing I can think of to make it easier would be bringing a fold up "tub chair" if you can find something like that. Still, it may not fit.... perhaps give DCL a call and ask them about options... I am sure they have run into this question before.

When we cruised last summer the shampoo was one of those 2 in 1 deals with supposed conditioner inside.... I tried it once and it made my hair like straw. I would deffinately bring your own conditioner. Though I have heard that consierge lvl rooms have better/good toiletries.

Have Fun!

Kim&Chris
07-24-2006, 02:25 PM
My Dh said the shampoo was pretty bad (and he's the type that will use a bar of soap on his hair if he can't find shampoo!).

The tub is small. My tub at home is (I think) 5 feet, so I'm guessing this is only about 3 feet. If you request a handicap-accessible room, the showers have those chairs that fold down. That might be your best bet.

As an FYI...I just about broke my neck stepping out of the tub and onto the floor a few times. The tub is higher than the floor, and the floor can become wet pretty easily (even with a towel down), so stepping out AND down could be tricky for an older person.

marlaymike
07-24-2006, 02:26 PM
I always take my own shapmoo, since my hair is to greasy to use conditioner and the shampoo with conditioner make it greasy faster!! If your hair is difficult to comb, bring yours in case the one on board doesn't work.

Fire14
07-24-2006, 02:30 PM
I'm one of those ppl who can use cheap shampoo (sauve) and I love WDW resort shampoo but I HATED the cruise line stuff.

aprilgail2
07-24-2006, 04:36 PM
They give you this combo shampoo/coinditioner junk that is terrible! It made my whole families hair like straw. Bring you own for sure! I ended up showering in the spa since they have seperate dispensers for both on the walls in the shower and I couldn't put a brush through my hair with that combo junk in the rooms!
If they have trouble getting in and out of the tub (and yes, they were pretty high) you could get them a handicap room which has a walk in shower. There is nothing to step over, the whole shower/bathroom floor is level with a drain in the middle of the shower.

lindakmonty
07-24-2006, 04:52 PM
have to agree...they're packaged cute but not user friendly... I bring my own no matter where I go!

Tigger&Bubba
07-24-2006, 05:40 PM
Last Jan. we took my DFIL with us on the Wonder, He has no physical disabilities. He is however 88 years old. So balance and coordination aren't what they used to be. The tub was difficult. The first thing we asked for was a tub mat. Our cabin steward brought us one right away. The floor of the tub is slippery, add that to the unusual height from the tub to the floor and it can be a challange for anyone. A bath would have been out of the question for my DFIL there are no real hand holds and the tub is narrow as well as short.

The Cat 3 Staterooms are another story altogether. Big easy tub and you can easily put a verandah chair almost inside the master shower.

I hope you find this helpful.

Sue (mom of 3 boys!)
07-24-2006, 06:56 PM
If you call DCL, they will be able to advise you. My DFIL was disabled and on RCCL and in WDW they could do a lot to accommodate him. They may have tub benches on the ship, or at least know of a place to rent one from, but I am betting they have them if you notify them early enough.
Just give them a call. They must have a special needs department for such requests. If you explain your concerns they should be able to help you out with suggestions and equipment.

mattmommy
07-24-2006, 07:05 PM
We went with friends once and the guy is 6'5" tall. He had to bend his knees or bend his head down to shower. It's very small.