PDA

View Full Version : Sign-out Priviliges -- Mandatory or not?

dee47
07-23-2006, 05:37 PM
I'm sure it's discussed somewhere, and I just can't find it. My DS is 10, but not mature enough for me to trust him with sign-out priviliges at the club. Do I have a choice? I believe it used to be universal at 10, but I'm hoping the parents have some say now.

lbgraves
07-23-2006, 05:49 PM
Here is an explaination that I received from a CM who worked in the lab.

One of the things I ALWAYs make sure I address to families registering their older children is sign out privledges, they can be changed at ANY time meaning if you want your child to get used to the ship, or prove their responsiblity for the first few days you can make them an N (not allowed to come and go) and then later in the week when you feel more comfortable with them getting around, and notifying you of who they are with, where they are going you can change it. Also if you child is a Y (allowed to sign in and out without adult) and they for some reason aren't handling it well, or have not been meeting your requirements for that then you can change it. I hope that makes sense. I think a lot of people assume it is a one decision thing, and they can't change their minds. Also on the paging when signing out. We can place it in their file notes that they are supposed to page when leaving, however it is their responsibility to ASK when they leave for us to page. We do not automatically page when a child leaves unless they ask us. Keep in mind that for 10-12 year olds when they sign in and out we do not pull up their notes everytime, so we would not see that note, which is why the must ask.

dee47
07-23-2006, 06:44 PM
THANK YOU!!!!!!!

:worship: :worship:

thegales
07-23-2006, 06:47 PM
Parents definitely have a say.

We started out with both DD's (8 and 10) not having sign out priviledges. No issues at all with DD8.

But each night, Ocean Quest had time for 10 - 14 year olds, which was not part of Oceanear Lab. So when DD10 went to that, there was no control over sign out. I would go down at midnight to get her. If she wanted to leave earlier, she must have me paged. This worked out fine (and showed that she did have the responsibility).

The one negative about not having sign out priviledges, is that the child is not supposed to sign themselves in either. There was one night DD10 wanted to go to the club activity, and went down on her own. We got a page reminding us that we were supposed to check her in.

On the sea day prior to Castaway Cay, we allowed sign out for both DD's. This worked out very well, as after the DCU Graduation, DW and I went back to the cabin to get ready for dinner. DD's checked themselves out (and were able to avoid the lines of all the parents checking their children out) and met us at the cabin. We actually made it to 5:45 dinner on time.

You make the decision that is comfortable for you.

TheDisneyTraveler06
07-23-2006, 06:53 PM
Yep, you can choose yourself. :)