PDA

View Full Version : Grand Floridian Private Dining - Fireworks Dinner with DH...!

slk537
07-23-2006, 10:21 AM
I have wanted to post this review ever since our trip, but somehow just never got around to putting it all down on “paper”…

Several months before our trip last May, I was reading the DIS boards (shocker!) and I read a detailed account of one DISer’s private dining experience. I read it to DH, because we just love hearing unique things other people do on vacation. We are DVC members and go down frequently, so we enjoy trying new things outside the typical trip. When I finished reading, I moved on to other plans. DH, on the other hand, kept the story in the back of his mind.

Fast forward a month to my birthday at the end of February. It was a lovely day, but nothing from DH (which isn’t the norm). We went out to dinner with DS and Ddad and still nothing more than a “happy birthday” from DH. Once home, he finally told me my present: he was in the midst of planning a romantic evening on our May WDW trip.

Well…that definitely works for me!! :love:

Our evening begins with DH and I taking DS over to the Grand Poobah of all Kid;s Clubs: The Polysesian Neverland Club. We were staying at the Poly at this point and would be next door at the Grand Floridian so it was the perfect place. DS has been counting the days until he could go to the NC, so he was excited. It was good all around.

DH and I took the monorail to the GF and once there headed down to sit near the piano in the lobby where we were to meet our private butler. I had asked DH if we needed to dress up, and he had responded “that’s up to us.” I loved it – we were going to have a romantic evening, but not in an upscale restaurant with other patrons, so we were in control of how formal the night would be. We decided we wanted to be vacation comfortable, but not theme park casual. DH wore a nice polo shirt and jeans and I wore a denim skirt and floral chiffon shawl over a camisole top. This is relevant, I promise…

So we sat down near the piano and DH nudges me and points to a couple also seated near the piano. He says, “I’ll bet the butler will think they’re us.” I looked over and saw the couple…very nice looking and dressed up, probably in their late forties. Then I looked at us, in our casual Friday wear, early thirties. The other couple looked ready for V&A’s…DH and I looked a teeny bit dressed up for 1900 Park Fare. Sure enough, we saw a gentleman in a tuxedo walk in, carrying a long stemmed red rose. He makes a beeline to the other couple. DH and I watched, amused, as they shook their heads “no” to his question. The gentleman turned, looked around, and saw us. He smiled and walked over and confirmed that we were indeed his couple. He gave me the rose and we followed him out to the marina, with him chatting all the way.

They had a set out a table for two on the corner, right across from where the boats are docked. For anyone who has had their children go on the pirate cruise – look across the marina, all the way down to the end. That is where we sat. We had an excellent view of the castle, monorail, Seven Seas Lagoon. It was perfect! The table was set with a white tablecloth, a long stemmed ivory rose, a candle in a crystal stem with a satin lampshade and scattered with red rose petals. Our butler had already set the table with rolls, butter, and salads. He also had our “bubbly” on ice: diet and regular coke. (what can I say…we’re very cosmopolitan people, you know…! :rotfl: )

Our table:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/slkjck/table.jpg

As our butler set out the dressings for the salad and poured our drinks and throughout the evening, he kept up a fun conversation talking about all the different private dining events he had done in his tenure at WDW, stories about when Saudi Arabian royalty have stayed at the GF for three months, different celebrities who have stayed there and what they were like…it was a stitch!

Our salads were wonderful – just basic lettuce, tomato and dressing. We ate them as the sun set and dusk took over. DH had pre ordered everything, so we were able to just sit back and enjoy.

Our salad:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/slkjck/saladII.jpg

After our salads, our butler timed things perfectly so he had the entrees ready to go. We had beef tenderloin served with béarnaise sauce, rosemary roasted new potatoes, and broccoli. On our first anniversary, DH had surprised me with dinner at the Country Club where our wedding reception was – with our wedding menu. It became our standard for romantic meals. Now, eight years later, he ordered the same menu for our romantic evening at Disney. :love:

Dinner was wonderful. We had eaten at Yachtsman, Spoodles, and Le Cellier this trip and had enjoyed steak at each. This beat all three, hands down. The potatoes were lovely and the broccoli, as you can see from the photo, was plentiful. I almost wanted to take what I couldn’t eat back for DS, as he loves broccoli more than anyone I have ever met since my mom. (Yes, my son loves vegetables. I can’t believe it either).

Our dinner:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/slkjck/dinnerplate.jpg

As we finished our dinner, our butler stopped back to clear the plates and get dessert ready. We were able to sit back and enjoy a perfect view of the Electric Water Parade. As it ended, we were served dessert. DH had ordered a mini wedding cheesecake, with a mini white chocolate castle and our butler added a candle for my birthday. It was absolutely divine!!! Our butler presented us with a gift from the GF: a box made of chocolate with an edible sketch of the GF on top….filled with truffles. He also subtly handed DH a copy of his receipt, having been run through earlier (tax and gratuity included, although DH left a bit extra). He took the large candle, thanked us, and told us to enjoy the fireworks and stay as long as we wanted.

our cake:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/slkjck/cake-1.jpg

Chocolates:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/slkjck/chocolates.jpg

We finished our cake, and sat back together to watch Wishes. We had a fantastic view. After the fireworks we walked back to the monorail and rode around the World until we got back to the Polynesian. We picked up DS and were able to take a look around the Neverland Club – how amazing! We walked back to the Hawaii building and settled in for the night. After putting DS to bed, we sat out on the patio and watched the castle change colors while just chatting. It was a fantastic evening and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

If you have any questions, please post – I’m happy to answer!

DVCindy
07-23-2006, 10:29 AM
Wow ... what a wonderful review ! Congrats and kudos to your DH ... well done ! :thumbsup2

John's Mom
07-23-2006, 01:01 PM
Thanks for the review and pictures. I would love to have a private dinner at the GF for a special occasion. Would your husband be willing to disclose the price of such a romantic meal?

Tinky624
07-23-2006, 01:16 PM
That sounds wonderful, glad you had a great time! Can you please tell us who you called to make that reservation. We would love to do it! Is it just the WDW-DINE #. Thanks for the help.

slk537
07-23-2006, 03:11 PM
Thanks for the review and pictures. I would love to have a private dinner at the GF for a special occasion. Would your husband be willing to disclose the price of such a romantic meal?

No problem! I asked him again and he said it was about $220 with an additional $20 extra tip. He also said "worth every penny"

He was charged for each item he selected from the available menu/special request separately, as though we were in a restaurant. The cake was $25. The butler was $50. You can select any menu items you want/they have available DH gave them his request for our wedding meal, and they gave him the prices. You can opt to do this without a private butler. In this case, a server wheels out the cart with the food and you serve yourself. We liked the butler, because it was just more romantic and special. Then there is the tax and included gratuity. So about $190-200 without the extra tip.

You can do pretty much whatever and wherever you want. The most fun idea our butler told us about was renting a car in the monorail for a private dinner...can you imagine??? :rotfl: He said they seal off the car and the monorail keeps running and picking people up, dropping them off, etc. as you are served and eat your dinner. He said the looks the diners get from people leaving and arriving at the parks were priceless. We asked the cost, thinking it would be extravagant, but he said it would be the same as our dinner was. We used to love Wishes FW cruises, which cost about the same, so I am fairly certain there is a monorail dinner for us with DS at some point in our future. :p

slk537
07-23-2006, 03:13 PM
That sounds wonderful, glad you had a great time! Can you please tell us who you called to make that reservation. We would love to do it! Is it just the WDW-DINE #. Thanks for the help.

DH called the Grand Floridian and requested Private Dining. From there, he worked with someone via phone and email to make all the plans. He confirmed before we left, and once again the day of. It was fantastic!! I highly recommend this - it was so out of the ordinary and fun that I would do it again in a heartbeat.

zurgswife
07-23-2006, 04:52 PM
Thanks so much....I was trying to do a small group for my trip in Aug but really didn't have time. I think I might try again in Dec....I loved your report.

Minniespal
07-23-2006, 05:15 PM
Excellent review ~ Thanx for sharing.

What a lovely DH you have.

PureTcrazy
07-23-2006, 06:07 PM
That is so sweet, your DH must be a treasure!

richard_andmel
07-23-2006, 06:21 PM
Thank you for sharing this. It sounds amazing.

MyGoofy26
07-23-2006, 06:46 PM
No problem! I asked him again and he said it was about $220 with an additional $20 extra tip. He also said "worth every penny"

Wow! That is SO much less than I would have guessed! Sounds like you had a fantastic time - thanks for sharing!!

Lizzybee
07-23-2006, 07:07 PM
Ok so if I ever get married again, this would be a dream proposal (swoon). Oh heck, I don't know if I'll ever do that again or if I should just treat myself someday.

Kae
07-23-2006, 07:21 PM
Sounds like a wonderfull evening.

Swan
07-23-2006, 07:36 PM
I have been thinking about this and even went as far as getting the number. After reading your review I called and left a message. I hope I can book this on such short notice. Thanks for posting your review. :teeth:

slk537
07-23-2006, 08:21 PM
I have been thinking about this and even went as far as getting the number. After reading your review I called and left a message. I hope I can book this on such short notice. Thanks for posting your review. :teeth:

Oh please keep us posted!!! I would love to hear what you end up doing!

cocoswife
07-23-2006, 11:36 PM
Ok, I am going to show this to DH and say something like "What a wonderful man she has married" or "She's the luckiest woman in the world" :rolleyes: I hope he takes the hint!! LOL :rolleyes1

John's Mom
07-24-2006, 11:49 AM
Thanks again! I'll keep this information available so my husband can see it.

Swan
07-24-2006, 12:31 PM
Courney returned my call today. She said it is not to short of notice and she is going to e-mail me the menu and some options. Can't wait to see whatmy options are.

beattyfamily
07-24-2006, 12:35 PM
How lovely of your DH to do this for you guys. :lovestruc

My DH can be quite romantic but wouldn't have a clue how to go about doing something like this. You are very lucky.

Now, I want to hear more about eating a private meal on the monorail!! Someone has to call and get the scoop. Sounds amazing! :cloud9:

ufgator
07-24-2006, 10:30 PM
Wow! This sounds great! I'm glad you enjoyed it. Did your DH choose the location of your meal? Can this be done anywhere? Do you know if GF is the only hotel that offers this?

I would love to have seen the people eating on the monorail.

mousette
07-28-2006, 05:27 PM
wow that sounds fantastic!! I would love to do something like that but always imagined it would be very expensive.

I'm going to organise something very special like that for our trip next year, thanks for the info

scanne
07-29-2006, 07:31 AM
What a wonderful experience! We did private dining at the GF on our honeymoon but in our hotel room. I love the location your DH chose! Thank you for sharing your experience with us!

01Sweetpea
07-29-2006, 07:40 AM
THESE are the type of reviews I LOVE to read. I had NO IDEA this type of thing was out there. Now I have to wait until I can do a DH & I ONLY trip to put this together.

Nothing ruins a romantic dinner more than 3 kids!!!

tinkerrn
07-29-2006, 06:56 PM
Thanks for posting this....I emailed it to DH the other day. He LOVED it!!!! So...I will be calling to book an even for our first anniversary. I'd love to have something on the beach at night. We got married on the beach last year in Palm Beach before driving over and 'disneymooning' at WDW. This year we will be celebrating our first 'Disneyversary'.

lovetoscrap
07-29-2006, 08:10 PM

One question--Can I have your husband? :rotfl2:

That sounds SOOO wonderful! My DH is romantic in his own way, but not really into planning things that involve that much thought, and I dont' think he would ever think to plan something like this--even if I hit him over the head with it!

Well, a girl can dream can't she?

:rolleyes1 When you wish upon a star. . . . :rolleyes1

slk537
07-29-2006, 09:36 PM
Wow! This sounds great! I'm glad you enjoyed it. Did your DH choose the location of your meal? Can this be done anywhere? Do you know if GF is the only hotel that offers this?

I would love to have seen the people eating on the monorail.

Thanks everyone for your great comments - DH's head is growing as he read the lovely things said about him. He is pretty special. He also loves Disney and anything new intrigues him, so this was right up his alley.

To answer your question above, you can call private dining of any deluxe I believe, and they'll help you plan something wonderful. DH did try the Poly first since we were staying there and they directed him to the GF. I would bet the BC or YC could definitely do something on the beach.

DSIL called tonight and wants to do a trip together in 2008 - my brother and I with our families and my dad and his wife - and I am pretty sure DH and I will be calling about the monorail as a surprise. The kids (and adults! would LOVE it!!!

slk537
07-29-2006, 09:37 PM
THESE are the type of reviews I LOVE to read. I had NO IDEA this type of thing was out there. Now I have to wait until I can do a DH & I ONLY trip to put this together.

Nothing ruins a romantic dinner more than 3 kids!!!

Or just one of my DS ;)...! We used the Neverland Club and were thrilled :thumbsup2

kaytieeldr
07-29-2006, 10:28 PM
You can do pretty much whatever and wherever you want. The most fun idea our butler told us about was renting a car in the monorail for a private dinner...can you imagine??? I actually remember reading a trip report somewhere else several years ago from (probably) the first person to experience this... she kept posting that she has 'something special' arranged, but would not say anything more until after they got home.

Snoopygirl
07-30-2006, 12:17 AM
WOW, that sounds like it was so romantic! Thanks for sharing the info w/ us. I can't believe you rent a car on the monorail.....could you imagine! That would be so cool!!!!

Swan
07-30-2006, 10:13 PM
I finally got my reservation in for the alcove location with a view of Cinderella's Castle and the fireworks. Since it will be with my children (11&13) it won't be as romantic, but it will still be a wonderful surprise. Since the menu can be picked from any where I was thinking of the Brown Derby or the Yachtman Steakhouse. I am so glad you posted your review. Up until I read it I was thinking of renting a limo, I think this will be so much better.
Thank you

Leigha
07-31-2006, 07:00 AM
Swan, I too would have to include my DD 16 and 12 if I ever did anything like this. Can you give me some estimate on the total for 4 people?? Does it start with a certain amount for the location and then you'd add basically the price for 4 meals from the restaurants on top of that for an estimate? Thanks! It's probably all a dream but they'd never forget it!!

Blondie
07-31-2006, 11:56 AM
I loved your review! What a romantic and memory filled dinner! Thanks for including the photos too!

granball
08-01-2006, 03:31 PM
Hi - Did you say that they would have brought you your meal from any Disney restaurant? I called and it took a while to find someone who knew anything about this private dining thing, but I got an email sent to me with menus. It looked like a set menu from room service from the hotel. It looks ok but fairly limited.

I'm really wondering if I'm talking to the right folks. Did your hubby just talk with room service to set this up? If not, maybe he can direct me. The switchboard had no idea what I was talking about when I read her your description of what the private dining was.

ufgator
08-01-2006, 08:57 PM
Thanks everyone for your great comments - DH's head is growing as he read the lovely things said about him. He is pretty special. He also loves Disney and anything new intrigues him, so this was right up his alley.

To answer your question above, you can call private dining of any deluxe I believe, and they'll help you plan something wonderful. DH did try the Poly first since we were staying there and they directed him to the GF. I would bet the BC or YC could definitely do something on the beach.

DSIL called tonight and wants to do a trip together in 2008 - my brother and I with our families and my dad and his wife - and I am pretty sure DH and I will be calling about the monorail as a surprise. The kids (and adults! would LOVE it!!!

Thanks. :)

slk537
08-01-2006, 10:12 PM
Hi - Did you say that they would have brought you your meal from any Disney restaurant? I called and it took a while to find someone who knew anything about this private dining thing, but I got an email sent to me with menus. It looked like a set menu from room service from the hotel. It looks ok but fairly limited.

I'm really wondering if I'm talking to the right folks. Did your hubby just talk with room service to set this up? If not, maybe he can direct me. The switchboard had no idea what I was talking about when I read her your description of what the private dining was.

It was someone else who posted about any restaurant, but for us, DH called and talked to GF Private Dining, Taken from signature of the emails he received:

WDW Grand Floridian Resort & Spa
Private Dining
407-824-2578 phone
407-824-1052 fax
wdw gf private dining @ disney.com

He was sent the same 9 page room service type menu I'm guessing you got, but told them he wanted something else - our wedding reception dinner. They told him they could take any request, show the chef, and let DH know the price, etc. So you can really do anything you want.

I'll PM you the name of the person DH worked with - anyone else please PM me if you would like her name as well. She was wonderful - very helpful and responsive...!

I am THRILLED to see how many people are going to do this now - DH got the idea from some trip report I read from two years ago on the DIS so I love that our experience can help others!! It was so very much fun and well worth it.

RayaniFoxmur
08-02-2006, 04:07 AM
Thank you so much for posting this! I'm contacting them ASAP because this would be the perfect thing to do for a surprise for my fiance on our first night! It's his first time in WDW and I'd love to give him a private firework show. Yay thank you again ^_^

panfan
08-03-2006, 10:40 PM
What a great review ...WOW!! :yay:

It is fun to hear of other things "available" that we don't hear about often!

I have one question about the fireworks. Were you able to hear the music? Was it a comparable experience to a wishes cruise ? I mean of coarse in terms of the fireworks, not the lovely romanic dinner...I 'm sure it was much better !

We have an upcoming trip with the Wishes cruise but now I am wondering If something like this would be a better choice.

Thanks for any help / advice you can give! :sunny:

Bibbidi
08-04-2006, 02:41 PM
We will be staying at the Contemporary next May for our 10th anniversary. I'm assuming since you stayed at Poly and had your dinner at the GF that perhaps we could do something like that as well. Do you have to be staying concierge to do something like this, or is it open to anyone?

fterie4u
08-04-2006, 03:32 PM
I would LOVE to do this as well! So does it matter at all what resort you are staying at? slk537 I PM'd you! You are lucky to have such a romantic huusband! I would love to do this next month for our 3rd anniversary!

imaaagination
08-04-2006, 03:44 PM
Hi everyone!

I just called private dining at GF, and the person I spoke with said that they cannot do dinners on the monorail...has anyone confirmed that this is still possible recently? I am hoping that I just spoke with someone who didn't know it was available!

slk537
08-04-2006, 05:28 PM
What a great review ...WOW!! :yay:

It is fun to hear of other things "available" that we don't hear about often!

I have one question about the fireworks. Were you able to hear the music? Was it a comparable experience to a wishes cruise ? I mean of coarse in terms of the fireworks, not the lovely romanic dinner...I 'm sure it was much better !

We have an upcoming trip with the Wishes cruise but now I am wondering If something like this would be a better choice.

Thanks for any help / advice you can give! :sunny:

It was very comparable to the Wishes cruise - we could hear the music from the MK, but not piped in. We were a bit further away of course, but the cost was the same for us when we've done the Wishes cruise, and it was so much fun. We do love the cruises though too.

slk537
08-04-2006, 05:29 PM
I would LOVE to do this as well! So does it matter at all what resort you are staying at? slk537 I PM'd you! You are lucky to have such a romantic huusband! I would love to do this next month for our 3rd anniversary!

Hi! I PM'ed you back.

Doesn't matter where you're staying at all. We were at the Poly at the time, but it wouldn't have mattered.

Good luck!!!

slk537
08-04-2006, 05:30 PM
Hi everyone!

I just called private dining at GF, and the person I spoke with said that they cannot do dinners on the monorail...has anyone confirmed that this is still possible recently? I am hoping that I just spoke with someone who didn't know it was available!\

BUMMER!!!

It was our butler who told us he'd done it - that was in May 2006. I don't remember when he had done it.

I hope they haven't stopped doing it....DH's eyes lit up and I know he'd love to do this with DS someday.

slk537
08-04-2006, 05:31 PM
We will be staying at the Contemporary next May for our 10th anniversary. I'm assuming since you stayed at Poly and had your dinner at the GF that perhaps we could do something like that as well. Do you have to be staying concierge to do something like this, or is it open to anyone?

Open to anyone! We were Poly Concierge at the time, but hadn't confirmed those reservations when DH booked this.

Laurajean1014
08-04-2006, 06:00 PM
Perfect. Thank you for posting (with pics)!

MomofCKJ
08-04-2006, 09:58 PM
First off round of applause for your DH! What a lovely suprise to plan for you!

Secondly, thank you for writing about it!

And it is more affordable than I would have expected! I just emailed the address you listed above to get more information. We are planning to try and get an Illuminations Cruise for our trip but if we are not successful I might just try to get the kids in a Kids Club and do something like this instead. Sounds just so romantic and memorable!

Allyson

MomofCKJ
08-05-2006, 06:55 AM
I tried the email addy you shared:

It was someone else who posted about any restaurant, but for us, DH called and talked to GF Private Dining, Taken from signature of the emails he received:

Private Dining
407-824-2578 phone
407-824-1052 fax

And I tried it with underscores as well as no spaces and spaces and they come back to me. Has anyone else been able to email them? Any ideas of what I am doing wrong?

I have tried it as listed above with the spaces and then I tried:

wdwgfprivatedining@disney.com
and
wdw_gf_privatedining@disney.com

Thanks for any help! If I can't get through via email I'll just call I guess!

Allyson

fterie4u
08-05-2006, 02:27 PM
I tried the email addy you shared:

Private Dining
407-824-2578 phone
407-824-1052 fax

And I tried it with underscores as well as no spaces and spaces and they come back to me. Has anyone else been able to email them? Any ideas of what I am doing wrong?

I have tried it as listed above with the spaces and then I tried:

wdwgfprivatedining@disney.com
and
wdw_gf_privatedining@disney.com

Thanks for any help! If I can't get through via email I'll just call I guess!

Allyson

Hi!

I tried this yesterday and then tried looking it up. This is the one that worked for me: wdw.gf.private.dining@disney.com

I have not heard back from them but the email did not come back to me either! If I don't hear from them soon I am going to give them a call! Good Luck!

swankybeth
08-05-2006, 05:17 PM
Thanks for sharing your story, it sounds so romantic and magical. Definitely an unforgettable night! :cloud9:

connorlevismom
08-07-2006, 05:33 PM
Thanks for the pictures! I am in the middle of planning this same thing for DH and I on our 5th anniversary. The pictures helped so much. Did the petals on the table come with it or did he pay extra for that? I am trying to think of some other romantic things I can do as far as decorations.

Kristine

slk537
08-08-2006, 04:49 PM
Thanks for the pictures! I am in the middle of planning this same thing for DH and I on our 5th anniversary. The pictures helped so much. Did the petals on the table come with it or did he pay extra for that? I am trying to think of some other romantic things I can do as far as decorations.

Kristine

The petals on the table, white rose in the vase, and long stemmed red rose given to me all came along with it. The GF did all the decorating. It was very lovely.

mamaprincess
08-10-2006, 01:12 PM
:cloud9: How dreamy! I am so envious and full of admiration all at once!

RayaniFoxmur
08-10-2006, 01:18 PM
Just wondering if any of the girls who e-mailed Private Dining got any response from them! I e-mailed but I haven't gotten anything back so I'm starting to get revved up to call. I'm a pretty shy person on the phone by nature, so I almost wish I could just hear back through e-mail! :blush:

Swan
08-10-2006, 05:18 PM
I sent lots of e-mails. I did not get a reply till I called. I waited four days for an answer so I called and got one right away. I asked a different question and it took several days for an answer so I called and resent an e-mail stating how I felt about all these delays. After that she returned my e-mails promptly. She never did tell me where to go, or how to meet our butler, so I e-mailed her and have not received an answer. We leave tomorrow and will not be taking our lap top with us, so I hope she calls me.

connorlevismom
08-10-2006, 08:55 PM
I too, sent an e-mail and it took her about a month to get back to me. In the meantime I had called and got ahold of her the same day. :thumbsup2 So I say call. You will get a much quicker response and be able to start planning sooner.

Swan - I was told that you go into the GF lobby by the piano and the butler will meet you there. Hope that helps!

Kristine

Swan
08-11-2006, 07:58 AM
Thanks Kristine

That helps alot. :wave2:

fterie4u
08-11-2006, 08:04 AM
Just wondering if any of the girls who e-mailed Private Dining got any response from them! I e-mailed but I haven't gotten anything back so I'm starting to get revved up to call. I'm a pretty shy person on the phone by nature, so I almost wish I could just hear back through e-mail! :blush:

I did not hear back from my email either so I called and talked to Courtney! She has been very helpful. She has since emailed me the menus and responded back to my questions through email. We are working on the menu right now and are surprising my dh for our anniversary next month!

I would say go ahead and call and don't be shy, they are there to help you and make things special for you!

Let me know if you have any questions! :goodvibes

tinkerrn
08-12-2006, 12:50 PM
I just got off the phone with Courtney...she was so nice! She is going to send me an email with the menus. I am not sure where I want our dinner to be...at The Summerhouse or at the alcove??? I think she gave me three choices..those and the overlook on the 3rd floor, she said they use that for bad weather. Ok....any suggestions? She did tell me they don't do anything on the beach beacuse they have had alot of problems due to wind and rain.

panfan
08-12-2006, 01:51 PM
Looks like some of you are well on your way to some special events!!

I was wondering if you all got to "Courtney" through the regular GF private dining line or another place. Is there a way to ask for her directly ?? She sounds very helpful.

Also ...in the future I was thinking of planning a small special surprise with the kids. Ages 5, 10, and 10 along with DH. Do you think they would be willing to include the children or do they just do the "romantic thing" ??

I was thinking a casual birthday party with the kids before the Wishes cruise .

Has anyone ever done this or heard of any examples ??

Thanks and good luck with all of your planning ! :goodvibes

slk537
08-12-2006, 06:49 PM
Looks like some of you are well on your way to some special events!!

I was wondering if you all got to "Courtney" through the regular GF private dining line or another place. Is there a way to ask for her directly ?? She sounds very helpful.

Also ...in the future I was thinking of planning a small special surprise with the kids. Ages 5, 10, and 10 along with DH. Do you think they would be willing to include the children or do they just do the "romantic thing" ??

I was thinking a casual birthday party with the kids before the Wishes cruise .

Has anyone ever done this or heard of any examples ??

Thanks and good luck with all of your planning ! :goodvibes

Definitely family too - not just romance. It seemed to us that Private Dining could do pretty much whatever you want within reason. We definitely plan to include DS in the future.

tinkerrn
08-12-2006, 07:23 PM
Well, I have recieved the menu. Have to say I am not that impressed at what they have to offer. From what she told me, the dinner would include 2 entrees and butler with set up. It would be from $200.00 to $250.00 at minium. I am a vegetarian so the choices seem very limited.

Antonia
08-12-2006, 08:30 PM
I think they will work with you on the menu - for instance if there was something else that you wanted to have, I think they will do it. Guess I'll know for sure next week when I set our menu. Right now I just have the evening reserved.

connorlevismom
08-12-2006, 08:30 PM
You can make your own menu as well. I know that Courtney told me that if I did not like something on the menu to just tell her what I wanted and they would talk to the chef. If they can do it, it will be done.

As for who to ask for. When you call the GF directly, ask for Private Dining Ammenties. I think that is the department that I finally got after talking to about 5 people in the private dining area who had no idea what I was talking about. Make sure they are aware that you would like to plan a special event, not just a dinner.

Kristine

chanty
08-18-2006, 09:32 AM
I just called...I'm soooo excited!
I spoke to Courtney - she's the one who answered the phone.
So I asked all the details about a private dining for my 1st wedding anniversary.

Here goes:

3 locations to chose from:

1- Overlook area - 3rd Floor (inside and outside - that's where you will be seated if it rains). I read a post saying you couldn't reserve there - not true. She says that this is a location available. Here you have a slight view of the castle (I'm guessing fireworks too) & 7 seas.

2- Summer house: View of the beach, the 7 seas and the...hum.. I forget the name...the place where they hold the weddings. From here, you don't see the castle or fireworks.

3- Alcove - From here you see the 7 seas & a very nice view of the castle + fireworks.

I asked how private it would be...like not having a couple 2 feet away from us. She says that it is very private... not too worry about having too many people around. She also mentions that the groups must be under 4 people - not more. (just thought I'd mention it for the families of 4+).

She will be sending me the menu, which is customizable. She also mentioned that it is possible to have the menu of Narcosse's and... another restaurant at a higher price of course. Sorry...she spoke so fast. Can't recall - sorry!

She said they dress up the tables nicely with roses & petals...didn't ask about the chocolate box though (haha). She mentionned that we would have a butler...but didn't say anything about additional costs. I'll confirm that once I get her email.

I asked her about renting a car of the monorail for a private dining...She said they might have done that in the past but she doesn't think they do that at this time. She said that possibly another resort would... She will get more info for me. Will keep you posted!!

She told me about the cakes.. how we could re-create our wedding cake in miniature or whichever else we desired. She said the miniature castle cake is $25.

That's about it for now. I'll get some info on cancellation fees and other stuff. I will certainly keep you posted!

I think this would sooo much better than eating in the Castle itself... just being able to be by ourselves...no kids running around, etc. Yes, there is a price tag to this event, but I think it would so worth it. I'll keep it as a surprise for DH... ahhhh

:cheer2:

chanty
08-18-2006, 09:36 AM
slk537: Do have any pics of the view itself? thanks.

Momof4girls
08-18-2006, 11:30 AM
thanks for the bump! :)

lovemickeyshouse
08-18-2006, 01:44 PM

He was charged for each item he selected from the available menu/special request separately, as though we were in a restaurant. The cake was $25. The butler was $50. You can select any menu items you want/they have available DH gave them his request for our wedding meal, and they gave him the prices. You can opt to do this without a private butler. In this case, a server wheels out the cart with the food and you serve yourself. We liked the butler, because it was just more romantic and special. Then there is the tax and included gratuity. So about $190-200 without the extra tip.

You can do pretty much whatever and wherever you want. The most fun idea our butler told us about was renting a car in the monorail for a private dinner...can you imagine??? :rotfl: He said they seal off the car and the monorail keeps running and picking people up, dropping them off, etc. as you are served and eat your dinner. He said the looks the diners get from people leaving and arriving at the parks were priceless. We asked the cost, thinking it would be extravagant, but he said it would be the same as our dinner was. We used to love Wishes FW cruises, which cost about the same, so I am fairly certain there is a monorail dinner for us with DS at some point in our future. :p
I CALLED THE DINING LINE ABOUT THIS AND THEY YOU CAN'T RENT THE MONORAIL CAR FOR DINNER SO THAT IS FALSE INFO UNLESS YOU CAN PROVE IT THEN PM ME WITH INFO

lovemickeyshouse
08-18-2006, 01:54 PM
I did not hear back from my email either so I called and talked to Courtney! She has been very helpful. She has since emailed me the menus and responded back to my questions through email. We are working on the menu right now and are surprising my dh for our anniversary next month!

I would say go ahead and call and don't be shy, they are there to help you and make things special for you!

Let me know if you have any questions! :goodvibes

COULD YOU TELL ME HOW THEY WORK THE MENUS CAN YOU PICK LETS SAY VEAL PARM CAUSE I LOVE THAT STUFF THANKS

Snoopygirl
08-18-2006, 02:46 PM
Chanty---wow....sounds so exciting. Can't wait to hear what you decide on and of course, your reviews after!!

:)

dawgfan
08-18-2006, 03:27 PM
Thanks for the review.

Sweedee
08-18-2006, 07:55 PM
I CALLED THE DINING LINE ABOUT THIS AND THEY YOU CAN'T RENT THE MONORAIL CAR FOR DINNER SO THAT IS FALSE INFO UNLESS YOU CAN PROVE IT THEN PM ME WITH INFO

FYI...posting in all caps on the internet is the equivalent of yelling at someone.

tammyandtommy
08-19-2006, 10:31 AM
Thanks for the info, the experience sounds wonderful.

I was wonder was on the menu? Someone said it was a limited menu, could it be PM to me? I am planning our 10 year anniversary trip and we planned on celebrating it at V&A. This sounds so much cooler than sitting in a resturant. Has anyone else confirmed the minimium of $200? thanks :)

Leigha
08-19-2006, 05:14 PM
The menu itself is actually listed on Deb's site: http://www.allearsnet.com/menu/menu_gfp.htm

lovemickeyshouse
08-19-2006, 10:02 PM
that menu looked good but no veal parm it did say create your own with chefs however

Swan
08-20-2006, 05:21 PM
Hi just got back. We had a private dining event in the Alcove. It was wonderful and so quiet. We had an excellent view of the fire works and the castle. There was my husband and I and two children. Our total was $253 with a butler. I will post more later. I am so glad we did it. Word of advice: If you go this time of year bring mosquito spray.

chanty
08-20-2006, 07:19 PM
Swan: do you have any pics of your set-up, view, etc?
What type of menu did you select?

Any advice?

Thanks!

PrincessPatty
08-21-2006, 10:29 AM
I didnt see it asked, but can you use the DDE card?

sunny_
08-21-2006, 01:42 PM
Sounds magical! I found this thread days ago but just got around to finishing reading it now! lol. I'm so glad you had such a wonderful time. This is something to keep in mind for the future. My dh would be sooo surprised with a private dinner for a special event! And, as of right now, I don't think he's ever heard of this! :)

txtink17
08-22-2006, 08:26 AM
Our salads were wonderful – just basic lettuce, tomato and dressing. We ate them as the sun set and dusk took over. DH had pre ordered everything, so we were able to just sit back and enjoy.

Our salad:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/slkjck/saladII.jpg

After our salads, our butler timed things perfectly so he had the entrees ready to go. We had beef tenderloin served with béarnaise sauce, rosemary roasted new potatoes, and broccoli. On our first anniversary, DH had surprised me with dinner at the Country Club where our wedding reception was – with our wedding menu. It became our standard for romantic meals. Now, eight years later, he ordered the same menu for our romantic evening at Disney. :love:

Dinner was wonderful. We had eaten at Yachtsman, Spoodles, and Le Cellier this trip and had enjoyed steak at each. This beat all three, hands down. The potatoes were lovely and the broccoli, as you can see from the photo, was plentiful. I almost wanted to take what I couldn’t eat back for DS, as he loves broccoli more than anyone I have ever met since my mom. (Yes, my son loves vegetables. I can’t believe it either).

Our dinner:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/slkjck/dinnerplate.jpg

3 Questions:

1. What location did y'all choose? Alcove?

2. Your dinner selection looks so good! I've never had beef tenderloin, is it cooked well done or is it pink inside?

3. Do you know the price for this entree?

DH and I will be celebrating our 14th this Feb., and I would love to plan a surprise dinner for him.

panfan
08-23-2006, 09:14 PM
Thanks to this thread , I was able to book a dinner this coming Monday for my DH's 40th birthday !!! So thank you so much !!

I have also been working with Courtney over the last several weeks and tonight we finalized everything. I am so excited at this will be a total surprise to DH.

I will post a report when we get back ! :Pinkbounc

chanty
08-23-2006, 09:19 PM
Panfan - what did you get as your menu? I'm working with Courtney with the menu...just wondering what you chose and how much it is? (if you don't mind sharing).

Thanks!

panfan
08-23-2006, 09:36 PM
I chose directly from the private dining menu. We have a party of 5 including our 3 DS's so this is not going to be as "romantic" obviously.

Anyway,

I just ordered "catch of the day" for myself and DH.
I showed the children the menu last night and they selected what they wanted. A child's grilled cheese ( can you believe it ..grilled cheese ??) , the Minnie's mini cheeseburgers and the Jr. Steak.

I also got the crabcake appitezer and 3 salads. Soda's for the kids and a bottle of white wine.

We are having the "dog bones" dessert for the boys. DH and I will have the exact dessert the OP had! I thought that looked great.

We are also doing the Wishes Cruise so we will not be at the table for the fireworks. I have chocolate strawberries ordered for the cruise as well as coffee and bottles water. We have others joining us for the cruise.

The table will also be decorated in a birthday theme ( rather than romance I guess) There will be baloons etc.

I can't wait!

Oh, about the price...I am still waiting for the e-mail from Courtney with the total. We can adjust some things if necessary..lol. Unfortunately , I was at work when she called to arrange everything this evening and I didn't have enough time to discuss every single price of the "extras" I ordered. I'm sure it all adds up though!!

chanty
08-31-2006, 02:37 PM
Any news anyone?? I'm still waiting for Courtney to get back to me!
It takes forever...I find.

I'll wait until tomorrow and see.

Chantal

panfan
09-01-2006, 11:29 AM
Wow! Not much action on this thread. Anyway, We just got back last night and our private dining experience was awesome! I think I will post a new review soon as to not "hijack" this thread anymore...lol! Give me a few days as I have to work all weekend!

chanty
09-05-2006, 10:37 AM
Here's my update:

We are considering this for our upcoming trip.
Here is our menu we have selected:

2 Caesar Salads
1 New York Strip Steak with baked potato
1 Chicken Brochette with baked potato and rice
1 Mini Castle cake
1 Bottle Robert Mondavi Costal
Butler Service

The subtotal before 6.5% tax, 18% gratuity, or $3 delivery charge is $166.96. I've calculated a total of approx. $210.86.

Just thought I'd update this post, in case anyone else is interested in having an idea as to how much it costs.

tinkerrn
09-05-2006, 04:48 PM
WOW!!! That is much cheaper than what Courtney quoted me. Are you having a butler? Where are you having the dinner at?

chanty
09-05-2006, 07:33 PM
Yes we do (as stated in my post) have a butlet and our location is the Alcove (view of castle and fireworks).

Did you ask for the same things???

Laurafoster
09-07-2006, 10:28 AM
Good review, thanks for sharing!

lsjones
09-19-2006, 03:46 PM
I just spoke with Courtney a few minutes ago and she said private dining doesn't handle the alcove bookings anymore. It is handled by GF catering or something like that. Their # is 407-824-3348. I'm waiting for a call back.

Sammie
09-19-2006, 05:25 PM
Is the Alcove location on the Sago Cay side of the Marina or the other side closer to Conch Key and Sugar Loaf.

chanty
09-19-2006, 05:59 PM
I just spoke with Courtney a few minutes ago and she said private dining doesn't handle the alcove bookings anymore. It is handled by GF catering or something like that.

Maybe she's getting too many calls!! hahaha
I'd better confirm everything with her...cause I want that location!!

lsjones
09-21-2006, 12:43 PM
Just spoke to Heather at private dining as nobody has returned my call for 3 days now and she told me that no one does the alcove anymore. She also said that level 3 of the GF is for hotel guests only so they won't do any dining there also. Her best suggestion was to book dinner at Narcoose's. I'm really bummed out now :sad1:

connorlevismom
09-22-2006, 08:20 AM
I wonder if that means that those of us who have things book already are not going to be able to do it? I would help they would tell us that if that is the case.

Kristine

lsjones
09-22-2006, 04:14 PM
I would assume that anyone that has it booked already is fine. They are just not going to take anymore reservations for it.

slk537
09-22-2006, 06:11 PM
Hi all!

I am so excited to see so many people doing this! I am bummed to hear about the alcove - it was perfect! Chanty - I do have photos but they all turned out to dark. I wasn't quick enough to take them before dusk came.

All the plans people have mentioned sound wonderful! I really look forward to the reviews...!

slk537
09-22-2006, 06:12 PM

Sorry, no can prove. It was a story our butler told about a dinner he did a while ago. I never followed up with anyone to hear yes or no to it now, but sounds like it's a no.

slk537
09-22-2006, 06:18 PM
3 Questions:

1. What location did y'all choose? Alcove?

2. Your dinner selection looks so good! I've never had beef tenderloin, is it cooked well done or is it pink inside?

3. Do you know the price for this entree?

DH and I will be celebrating our 14th this Feb., and I would love to plan a surprise dinner for him.

1 -yup, we were at the alcove.

2. It was wonderful - DH ordered it medium rare so it was pink. You can get it well done, but most chefs think that ruins it. It's very tender and lean, but extremely flavorful.

3. I believe the entrees were about $30 or so. Comparable to a good steak at Le Cellier or Spoodles.

Mr. D's K-Man
10-19-2006, 11:22 AM
I have wanted to post this review ever since our trip, but somehow just never got around to putting it all down on “paper”…

Slk537 .... what a wonderfully romantic experience. I'm sorry it's taken so long for me to read it and to get caught up on my Board stuff. Life's been crazy and reality has had the better of me lately.

Thank you for sharing your wonderful night and dining experience with us.

Tasmen
10-26-2006, 12:55 PM
Your dinner sounds absolutely wonderful. I'm contemplating surprising my husband in May with a private dinner if they are still able to arrange such things. It's disappointing to hear you can't book the alcove anymore :(

cxcelica
10-27-2006, 12:52 PM
Has anyone had a recently booked a romantic private dining. It seems from the latest posts that they have greatly scaled back on their offerings. I would have loved to book the alcove for next year, but it seems like they are not offering it at all now.

connorlevismom
10-27-2006, 01:14 PM
I just had my private dinner in the Alcove a couple of weeks ago. I had booked it before they stopped doing that area. Has anyone confirmed with someone at GF that they are no longer doing that section? Our butler did not mention it at all and told us that he hopes that next time we have a private dinner we ask for him.

Our dinner was amazing by the way. It was kind of funny that during the fireworks this woman comes up right behind me and starts talking to me! She was asking me what we were doing and wondering if we just got married. She informed us that she had just gotten married the day before and that her husband was up in the room taking a nap. Our butler came over to shoo her away when she was asking us how to set up a dinner like that. Some people. :confused3 Clearly when you are having the dinner in that area it is very obvious that there is something private going on.

Kristine

disneydancer1969
10-28-2006, 09:12 PM
congrats on a great night!

jaycns
01-20-2007, 02:06 PM
I am hoping for some recent info. OP, you have the sweetest dh! Anyway, I hope someone is still subscribed to this thread ;) and just might have some new information or recent reviews to share!

Thanks!!

bamagirl@hrt
01-20-2007, 02:41 PM
I'm subscribing to this thread. I want to plan something special for DH & I when we go for our 15th anniversary this fall. I made 2 pages of notes before I got to the end & saw they're not doing this anymore. What a bummer! I hope we get some news soon that they've resumed! I was just planning on dinner at Narcoossee's while the children were in the Neverland Club, but private dining sounds so much more romantic!!

Patty3
01-20-2007, 06:55 PM
I just finished reading this thread. My son is going to propose to his girlfriend next month at DW. I thought that this would be a great way to propose. I hope that the powers to be will decide to start doing this again. How romantic, what a thoughtful guy you married.

slk537
01-20-2007, 08:13 PM
I just finished reading this thread. My son is going to propose to his girlfriend next month at DW. I thought that this would be a great way to propose. I hope that the powers to be will decide to start doing this again. How romantic, what a thoughtful guy you married.

How absolutely perfect would that be!!! Such a wonderful place for a proposal!

And thank you - he is pretty special and I do consider myself lucky to have him (most days! :rotfl: ) I'm thinking about planning something for him on our next trip and seeing this thread active again makes me think this might be a good idea...

jaycns
01-20-2007, 09:25 PM
How absolutely perfect would that be!!! Such a wonderful place for a proposal!

And thank you - he is pretty special and I do consider myself lucky to have him (most days! :rotfl: ) I'm thinking about planning something for him on our next trip and seeing this thread active again makes me think this might be a good idea...

Have you ever considered having a diver hold up a sign at the Coral Reef and/or having a personalized menu made up. It's a really fun/romantic/memorable experience!

:thumbsup2

Disney owl
01-21-2007, 03:40 AM
thanks for sharing

what a beautiful cake

Judique
01-21-2007, 07:40 AM
You can do pretty much whatever and wherever you want. The most fun idea our butler told us about was renting a car in the monorail for a private dinner...can you imagine??? :rotfl: He said they seal off the car and the monorail keeps running and picking people up, dropping them off, etc. as you are served and eat your dinner. He said the looks the diners get from people leaving and arriving at the parks were priceless. :p

Katieelder writes,"I actually remember reading a trip report somewhere else several years ago from (probably) the first person to experience this... she kept posting that she has 'something special' arranged, but would not say anything more until after they got home."

I remember the monorail meal very well. We were acquainted with the family in question and we saw the pictures. It was done several years ago - perhaps 5 or 6 and the family were staying at the Grand in the main building concierge. At the time the Grand Concierge was the contact for planning the event. It was not an offering so to speak, but an event that the guest had the idea for and was able to have carried out.

sheryl0521
12-04-2007, 05:50 PM
any new reviews?

mschwartz
06-26-2009, 08:24 AM
Does any one have pictures of the dinner for two on the balcony.
I am going to disney and have already made my reservation for the dinner for two on the balcony with the butler service.

But they will not show me photos of the views from the balcony.
Even though i am sure it is a great view i want to be certain.
She is kind of shy so I am planning on proposing on the balcony durring the fireworks. So i really want that night to be perfect in every way that i can make it.

Any other suggestions would be greatly apprecited.

My2Qtz0205
06-26-2009, 08:53 AM
Where did you find info. for this? I looked at Dining Options at GF, and it was not listed as an option.

mschwartz
06-26-2009, 09:03 AM
Does any one have pictures of the dinner for two on the balcony of the grand floridian.
I am going to disney and have already made my reservation for the dinner for two on the balcony with the butler service.

But they will not show me photos of the views from the balcony.
They say you can see the castle, the illuminations show and the wishes show as well from the balcony.
Even though i am sure it is a great view i want to be certain.

She is kind of shy so I am planning on proposing on the balcony durring the fireworks. So i really want that night to be perfect in every way that i can make it. It is also her birthday.

Any other suggestions would be greatly apprecited.

You can email me at Martys567@gmail.com