PDA

View Full Version : Okay, so we liked Sci Fi... Go figure

HunnyPots
07-22-2006, 11:44 PM
No one was more surprised than me after all the negative reviews I'd read on these boards, but we really enjoyed Sci Fi Dine In!

We had an ADR for 11:00 on Monday, July 10. We arrived about 10 minutes before and were seated within minutes. We got a car on the first row, which we all thought was pretty cool. Loved the atmosphere! Our waiter took our drink orders right away. A beer for DH and a coke for DS15 and diet coke for DD18 and I.We studied the menu while we waited for our drinks. Oh - it was also not as dark as I'd read it would be; no trouble reading the menu at all!
We started with an order of onion rings to share.They were hot and crispy - just perfect! DH got the Ruben, DD got the chicken Caesar salad, DS got the ribs and I mooched a little off each of them! Well, you know... if I was gonna review this place I'd better know what I was talking about, right? ;)
DH thought his ruben sandwich was one of the best he'd had; I agreed, it was very good. DS loved the ribs, very tender and meaty. I also thought they were pretty good, not the best I've had but good. DD enjoyed her salad very much, and believe me, she knows her chicken caesars! I would have liked a little more dressing but it was still very good.
We took our time and enjoyed the movie clips and the "drive-in" atmosphere. Very cool!
We all agreed that we will put this one on our "to do again" list.

brando5111
07-23-2006, 12:19 AM
Thanks for the review. We also agree! On our last trip this was a highlight - which totally surprised us, as we expected to not enjoy after the reviews, but alas, we loved it! And it's a must stop for us now!

Best,
Brando

__disneygirl
07-23-2006, 12:26 AM
I absolutely love Sci-Fi. They have the best milkshakes I have ever tasted and I loved the food. I don't see why people say it's bad. Oh well! :) :wizard:

magicmouse2
07-23-2006, 02:29 AM
Havent tried it in case DD is scared of the movie clips. I actually saw this in a UK WDW review listed as a must do during your trip!

dismom9761
07-23-2006, 02:35 AM
I am glad to hear a good review.I chose it because I thought my DS10 and DS8 would like it. :thumbsup2

bluejasmine
07-23-2006, 08:38 AM
We also liked Sci Fi but I havent been back since 2003. Thanks for the review!

newholidayx2
07-23-2006, 08:42 AM
DS & I ate at SciFi last Aug. DS wants to go back so this Aug DH will be coming with us

Letsbgoofy
07-23-2006, 08:47 AM
Thanks for the review. We are going to try the Sci-fi for the first time this August and I have been a little nervous with all the bad reviews.

Cendrillon
07-23-2006, 08:55 AM
I've been to Sci-Fi at least a half dozen times and I haven't had a bad experience yet. The worst thing about Sci-Fi is the prices, but they're in line with everything else at Disney. We've always had great service, always been sat in a car, never had to wait more than 10-15 minutes, and it's always a great mid-day stop to get you out of the heat and the bright sun for a little while. The food is usually better than average, if not the best thing you've ever tasted and it always leaves me satisfied and refreshed for the rest of the day. So two thumbs up for Sci-Fi here. :thumbsup2 I've never really understood all the bad reviews.

Btw, for the poster who was worried the clips would be too frightening, they're really not - many are actually cartoons anyway and there's so much to look at, your child will be easily distracted from the screen.

PracPerfPatricia
07-23-2006, 09:27 AM
I"m so glad to hear that you had a great time...I was a little worried too...we have this scheduled for our December trip and read some really bad reviews... :confused3 but we'd eaten there 3 years ago and DH and DD loved it although oddly enough don't remember the food... :rotfl: (neither do I but I remember loving the atmosphere... :cool1:

Happy it worked out... :sunny:

MickeyMonstersMom
07-23-2006, 10:33 AM
I'm glad to see Sci-Fi getting good reviews lately, too. DS is so excited to try the place this year that I want it to be good for his sake! Eh, he's 8 and not a picky eater, so as long as he sees the movie clips he'll be satisfied! Thanks for the review!

LBelle
07-23-2006, 10:38 AM
I am soooo happy to see that there are some GOOD reviews for Sci-Fi!! I booked an ADR, under sufferance, for a dinner in Sept. Our DS10 has ALWAYS wanted to try this place! :banana: I'm now actually looking forward to this meal!! Thanks for the GREAT review!! :thumbsup2

Cruz Family
07-23-2006, 11:15 AM
Thanks for the review! :thumbsup2 We will be trying Sci-fi for the frist time in a couple of months. I am glad you enjoyed it, and hopefully we will as well.

kellyg403
07-23-2006, 12:30 PM
We really like Sci-Fi as well. Now it is our first day tradition! We check-in and go straight to MGM and RnR and TOT then over to Sci-Fi. My boys really love this place!

Kelly

english rose 47
07-23-2006, 12:45 PM
:cool1: Also glad to hear the good reviews any restaurant can have a bad day and the kids really want to go for the cars tables. The menu looks fine for us and as we are onDDP the price is right!! I hope to try the milkshakes . Can you get them as your drink onDDP? :moped: :moped: :moped: :dance3: :goodvibes :goodvibes

DisneyNutMary
07-23-2006, 12:55 PM
Thank you for the review.
We have an ADR of Sci-Fi this August, I am pretty excited to try it, because my DH is a Sci-Fi geek, and the kids and I like the idea of sitting in cars, enjoying the B-movie clips, pretending we are at a Drive In :teeth:
With all the bad reviews Sci-Fi gets, I was worried. I feel better now.

Torjohnson
07-23-2006, 02:49 PM
I think it is a mind set. We thoroughly enjoyed it. It was our first day in the parks(ever!!!!) and we thoroughly loved the ambience. We were on the dining plan so we had already paid for food so you don"t notice the prices. It was so fun, and the food was good. I think anyone who is going in thinking it is going to be anymore than what it is is in for a sad experience, but why go if you are going to hate it. Your husband will probably love it...and thanks to the OP for jumping out against a sea of descent and going for it. Yay!!!

Minniespal
07-23-2006, 06:18 PM
Enjoyed reading your review ~ Thanx for sharing.

WAHMto5
07-23-2006, 07:05 PM
We also love it and eat there on every trip, one of the kids favorite places and the Onoin Rings are the BEST!!

richard_andmel
07-23-2006, 07:24 PM
I'm glad you liked it. We have been a bunch of times and one time it was just ok, all of the other times it was really good.

!@#$%
07-24-2006, 12:58 AM
Havent tried it in case DD is scared of the movie clips.

Ive seen scarier things on Spongebob. :teeth:

My son is autistic. I thought he'd be bored with the black and white "old" movies. He was MESMURIZED!!! I have NEVER seen him so glued to any screen! He sat there the whole meal staring at the old monster movies in awe. He loved it. Hes demanding we go back this trip.

The food was REALLY good. The ambiance was great. servers OK. On the free DDP, prices are irrelevant.
Overall I give it a 9.5 out of 10, with the .5 missing only because they wont give glowcubes.

golden1
07-24-2006, 05:11 PM
I know a lot of people hate this restaurant but I really loved it when I went back in 2000. I think I just had a burger. I think if you are a Sci-Fi fan, it is a must do.

Uncle Remus
07-24-2006, 08:06 PM
After reading these posts about Sci-Fi, I'm putting it on my must do list; I'm craving a Reuben with a side order of onion rings and a milkshake, of course! Thanks for helping me plan my trip in late Sep.

cooper1204
07-25-2006, 10:20 AM
My mom and I ate here for the first time in May and liked it too. I got the BLT soup as an appetizer and absolutely loved it - the sandwhiches we got for entrees though were mediocre - I had a BBQ grilled chicken sandwich which was was very bland and dry - my mom had the turkey sandwich which was a bit better...too full for dessert :crazy: since it was our first time there, we were so amused by the atmosphere and got a real kick out of it - I would definetly go back again - hopefully next time though we won't have to wait as long to be seated (we had ADR's for 1:00 - but didn't get seated till about 1:30 - 1:40).

misspickle
08-09-2006, 04:52 AM
i am really glad you enjoyed we have this booked for 19th dec

eliza61
08-09-2006, 06:59 AM
Glad you liked Sci-fi. We ate there August of 04 and had a great meal. We have a adr for this August and definitely looking forward to it. I want to try the milkshakes, which I heard are very good.

srgibbs
08-09-2006, 09:35 AM
We ate at Sci-Fi during free dining last year at lunch and enjoyed the food and the atmosphere. We had onion rings and spinach dip for appetizers. I had some sort of pasta with shrimp and vegtables (so yummy) and dh had some sort of steak sandwich. Children had chicken and ff and we all had milkshakes for dessert. All of our food was excellent and we could not finish nearly all of it. I was nervous with all the bad reviews but loved it. We are going to disney again this Sept. but will be trying some different places we missed last time. If your trying to decide I would say go for it!

GrandFloridian4
08-09-2006, 10:52 AM
I am pretty excited to try it, because my DH is a Sci-Fi geek, and the kids and I like the idea of sitting in cars, enjoying the B-movie clips, pretending we are at a Drive In :teeth: With all the bad reviews Sci-Fi gets, I was worried. I feel better now.

I think you'll really enjoy this retaurant if you're DH likes sci-fi. We go several times a year & had always included it on our vacations to WDW. My whole family enjoys watching & laughing at the old B-movie clips. They're hysterical! And, we never seem to tire of them. :confused3

We enjoy the food very much. I don't remember what everyone else usually gets, but I almost always get the Reuben & love it! We are typically seated in a car, but have sat at a table in the back once & enjoyed that, also, because it was different & because we could all see each other & (quietly :ssst: ) talk to each other about the clips being shown.

It's very nostalgic, if you grew up going to drive-in movies. ::yes::

siestakeys04
08-09-2006, 12:09 PM
Do they sell adult burgers? I did not see them on the menu? we will be there monday.

disneynewbee
08-09-2006, 12:14 PM
We have this booked for December. I've read all the bad reviews but booked it anyway- it just sounds like a place my family would love. I'm sure we'll enjoy it. :banana:

apirateslifeforme
08-09-2006, 12:28 PM
I rather like it...I always do lunch instead of dinner, though. And I have gotten some looks from other patrons, like "does the fat girl REALLY need a cheeseburger, fries, and milkshake?" But it was good, and the server happily gives me barbecue sauce for my fries, instead of ketchup! :woohoo:

snickerharley
08-09-2006, 03:27 PM
Good review! We also love Sci-Fi the atmosphere is always fun!

Beachbabybongo
08-09-2006, 03:38 PM
I absolutely love Sci-Fi. They have the best milkshakes I have ever tasted and I loved the food. I don't see why people say it's bad. Oh well! :) :wizard:

Yeah that! :thumbsup2

GrandFloridian4
08-10-2006, 07:05 AM
Do they sell adult burgers? I did not see them on the menu? we will be there monday.

I was sure that my DH eats a ("delicious", he says) burger whenever we go to Sci-Fi, so I was surprised when I checked out the dinner menu on-line & didn't see it listed. The 'All American Burger' is listed, however, on the Lunch menu. We sometimes go very late in the day, so either that menu must be available during late afternoon hours, or, they allow you to order the burger, whether you see it on the menu, or not.

paslea_pooh
08-10-2006, 08:55 AM
Thanks HoneyPots for the review. We have ADR's for 50's Primetime but I'm gonna change it to Sci-Fi. It'll only be me and DH and I don't really feel up to playing with the waiter/waitress at Primetime. We'll go next time with the kiddos.

bell.of.the.ball
08-10-2006, 09:56 AM
I was sure that my DH eats a ("delicious", he says) burger whenever we go to Sci-Fi, so I was surprised when I checked out the dinner menu on-line & didn't see it listed. The 'All American Burger' is listed, however, on the Lunch menu. We sometimes go very late in the day, so either that menu must be available during late afternoon hours, or, they allow you to order the burger, whether you see it on the menu, or not.

We are always able to get the burger at dinner. You just have to ask.

MissMagnolia
08-10-2006, 10:28 PM
I may have to rethink this one. I didn't even give it a thought because of all the negative reviews and the fact that I thought DD3 and DS6 might get a little freaked out over the movie clips. I'll have to peek in this vacation and see if it one we need to add next time.

kamanda
08-11-2006, 11:39 AM
How do you share appetizers when everyone is facing forward? Are these cars like benches with tables in front of them? I've never been there so just wondering what to expect. We are a party of 2 A and 2 C (age 3 and 5) if that matters.

Thanks

mmmears
08-11-2006, 02:45 PM
Thanks for writing the review. We were really surprised how good our lunch was last April. We avoided this place for years because of the bad reviews. Then a friend said, "How can you not go there? It's our kids favorite!" So glad she said that -- we tried it and the food was good and the atmosphere great! It was a really fun thing to try -- and nice and dark and cool in the heat of the day!

Disney owl
08-12-2006, 07:50 AM
This is on my "to do" list too.

Glad to hear you had a good meal

Viki
08-12-2006, 04:45 PM
I rather like it...I always do lunch instead of dinner, though. And I have gotten some looks from other patrons, like "does the fat girl REALLY need a cheeseburger, fries, and milkshake?" But it was good, and the server happily gives me barbecue sauce for my fries, instead of ketchup! :woohoo:

I have consistently posted great reviews of this place, swimming against the tide, as it were, and from one fat girl to another - burger, milkshake (make mine the adult Martian variety), and onion rings (instead of fries) is the way to go.

Keep it simple!

luvtheBuzz
08-12-2006, 05:31 PM
We just ate lunch there last weekend. I have to say it was a great place to eat!! We had always avoided it because of bad reviews, boy what a mistake!

The thing my husband and I noticed most about this place was how QUIET it is inside. Everybody is eating and watching the big screen -- it was definitely the quietest place we were all week. I think we could have left our son there all day watching the clips and drinking milkshakes.

ufgator
08-12-2006, 05:41 PM
Thanks for your review. I've never eaten here before but would like to try it for lunch because it looks fun.

ntsammy5
08-12-2006, 05:52 PM
We also liked Sci Fi but I havent been back since 2003. Thanks for the review!

2004 for me, but what a great place.

:dance3: :dance3: :dance3:

Ron from Michigan
08-13-2006, 10:17 AM
Thanks for the review. We also enjoy dining at Sci-Fi. We have had lunch there twice and enjoyed it both times. :)

MissMichelle
08-13-2006, 10:20 AM
I really like SCI-FI also and will be doing it on my next trip. I couldn't believe how much fun I had there...I got a chuckle out of the waitstaff yelling when the 50ft woman came on screen....I love our waiter and he made it that much better...Food was pretty decent (not the best but pretty good for that environment). I recommend it to others, more for theming but know they will be pretty happy with the choice.