PDA

View Full Version : Tipping dinner servers ??

suz72
07-22-2006, 09:24 PM
Do we tip the same amount to our dinner servers even if we skip one or two nights at the restaurants??

I am asking this b/c if I ate at the same restaurant in my hometown every Friday and then skipped one for some reason, I wouldn't stop by and leave a tip.

I just wanted to know what was customary...either way is fine with me.

Thanks

lbgraves
07-22-2006, 09:34 PM
Yes, it is expected that you tip the full amount. Those tips do not cover just your dinners with your servers. The same servers staff the dining rooms during breakfast and lunch, along with the food counters on deck 9 by the pools. You do not tip those people. The way it is set up, if you tip your dinner servers, everyone will be taken care of. :) For my family of four it works out to $30 per day. That would be what I would tip if our total bill came to $150. I know that we eat more than that between the three meals and any snacks that we enjoy during the day. Hope this helps explain the system for you. :)

suz72
07-22-2006, 10:03 PM
Thanks...I didn't really get it...now I do.

I have put $305 in the budget for tips for our cruise (4 of us)...a little different than your $210...I will need to read the facts about tipping thread again. Not sure where I got my number.

RCBA
07-22-2006, 10:23 PM
I have put $305 in the budget for tips for our cruise (4 of us)...a little different than your $210...I will need to read the facts about tipping thread again. Not sure where I got my number.

I think your # is the whole tip ammt, and Lisa's # was for servers only.

We noticed our Asst. Server working Castaway Cay, and the buffet Line, our Head Server also worked the buffet line & our Server worked the midnight dessert buffet.

suz72
07-22-2006, 10:29 PM
O.K.

I found the tips on tipping thread and read the whole thing.

Now I know who you can and cannot tip and about tipping envelopes and the fact that I am tipping servers and my stateroom host.

I also noticed that I should bring one dollar bills for room service and luggage porters.

Wow, finally I get it.

I'm just trying to get all of my final budgeting done.

Cindi0511
07-22-2006, 10:32 PM
O.K.

I found the tips on tipping thread and read the whole thing.

Now I know who you can and cannot tip and about tipping envelopes and the fact that I am tipping servers and my stateroom host.

I also noticed that I should bring one dollar bills for room service and luggage porters.

Wow, finally I get it.

I'm just trying to get all of my final budgeting done.

It can definitely be confusing sometimes. Thankfully, most people here are awesome about helping out nicely, and Lisa is one of those!!! :goodvibes I'm trying to get our final budgeting done, too, and it is so much nicer to get it all done up front than to have some not-so-pleasant surprises along the way. Good luck with your figuring!!! :sunny:

lbgraves
07-22-2006, 11:00 PM
Yes, I was only refering to the dining room servers. :) We have always tipped over the guidelines though because of the great service that we have received. It is easy to see the total and think why do I need to tip them that much however when it is broken down to what is covered by those tips it doesn't seem so outrageous...especially when considering prices for dining at WDW. ;)

suz72
07-23-2006, 12:40 AM
Seriously, the tips are not out of hand. I think that the stateroom host tip could be more, I mean we could tip more if very happy with the service.

Thanks ladies for the tipping advice!

Maxicat
07-23-2006, 10:12 AM
I would like to have the envelopes set before we leave. Who can you tip at the end with credit card and who do you need to tip with cash at the end or as you go. I couldn't find the 'tipping' thread, sorry! We're a family of 6.

Linda pixiedust:

Andrew DEREK UK
07-23-2006, 10:16 AM
I would like to have the envelopes set before we leave. Who can you tip at the end with credit card and who do you need to tip with cash at the end or as you go. I couldn't find the 'tipping' thread, sorry! We're a family of 6.

Linda pixiedust:

Any one can be tipped by token or ticket, go to guest services and charge them to your stateroom account, that in turn goes to yuor credit card at the end of the cruise or when a limit is reached. Some people top up with a couple of notes.

I send a staeroom credit to cover mine in advance so I know its covered.

corve77t
07-23-2006, 11:15 AM
you can prepay your tips before you leave through your ta or dcl. They will send your tickets to you the day before you tip everybody.

Andrew DEREK UK
07-23-2006, 11:24 AM
you can prepay your tips before you leave through your ta or dcl. They will send your tickets to you the day before you tip everybody.
On some UK DCL bookings tips are included and you get the TIP Tickets on the last full, day, I like to credit my stateroom account when the dollar/pound exchange rate is good and also cover shore trips to ensure when i arrive on the cruise I do not need to wrroy about the money, or exchange rate dropping at the wrong time.

mommasita
07-23-2006, 11:45 AM

Linda pixiedust:

Here is a link to the thread, located in the FAQ sticky on top of this page. :goodvibes http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?threadid=509463

Maxicat
07-23-2006, 02:44 PM
Thanks for all the info everyone and the link--wonderful!

Linda pixiedust: DH :cool1: DD15, DD12, DD9, DS6

Magic 7/29/06

party:

webray
07-23-2006, 03:04 PM
Yes, you tip the recommended amount no matter how many nights you eat in the dining room. You will see your servers serving breakfast, lunch, etc..they work very long hours, always for you whether directly or not.