PDA

View Full Version : Car rental - information please

Torontogal
07-22-2006, 02:37 PM
Hi all,
Well we are going on a Magic cruise in October and we are staying at Saratoga Springs prior to boarding ship. Since we are flying down (have no access to car)
We are thinking of 3 options --
DCL transfers (seems expensive for a family of 6)
Third party limo service - cheaper
Renting a car at airport and using it for our stay prior to boarding ship. We are then thinking of returning the car at the ship terminal or close to. My hubby would probably have to make 2 trips with a family of 6 but it would give us some flexibility to shop and and possibility cheaper.
Love to know your thoughts. Has anyone rented a car - how much was it? Were you able to drop it off at the ship terminal?
Thanks...

captchris
07-22-2006, 02:42 PM
If you rent from Budget they are both in the airport and have the closest rental office to the ship in Cape Canaveral. They provide a free shuttle to the port.

I am dropping my family off at the Port, then returning the car to Budget. By the time I get back to the port, my DW will be all checked in.

Check Mousesavers (http://www.mousesavers.com) for some codes to save you some $$$$. I think I save 20% by using a code from that site.

Donald is #1
07-22-2006, 02:45 PM
When I did my cruise, we went down a couple of days early to go to Sea World. I was also confused as to what to do for transportation to the cruise. A friend of mine recommended using a car rental and it worked great. Here is what you do:
1) Rent a car at Orlando airport with a return in Cape Canaveral. You need to tell them that you will be returning at Cape Canaveral. Use this car while you are in the Orlando area and then on the day of your cruise, drive to Cape Canveral and return the car at the car rental place. They will have a van to bring you to the ship.

2) Get a one way rental on your return day from Cape Canveral with drop off in Orlando. When your ship docks, there will be a place (in the parking lot most likely) to get a shuttle to the car rental place. Take the shuttle, pick up your car, and drive to Orlando airport. Or somewhere else if you have time before your flight. When it is time for your flight, return the car to the airport in Orlando.

I used Hertz to do this but I believe there are other companies in Cape Canerval also.

Have a great time!

d'Isigny
07-22-2006, 02:54 PM
Renting a car/van is a great option and cheaper. You should be able to get a van for under $70 per day (less with some research). It can be picked up at the airport and turned in at port. You can drop your family and luggage off at port while returning the van to the 'port area' rental agency. Most agencies offer a free shuttle or have a negotated rate with a cab (~$12-15 per person - one way) to return the driver back to port. It should take ~20-40 minutes for the driver to meet back up at port.
I believe some of the rental agencies at airport/port are; Hertz, Alamo, Budget and Enterprise. I suggest doing some researh on the following 2 web sites:
Mousesavers - look for car rental discount codes (http://www.mousesavers.com)
Daves site - shows +/- the different car agencies...some great research (http://www.dcltribute.com)

good luck

Torontogal
07-22-2006, 04:34 PM
Some wonderful ideas - thanks so much!

imomtojd
07-22-2006, 07:39 PM
Avis worked great for us :thumbsup2 . It located in the parking lot at the airport - very convenient - and drop off was easy too. It was several miles away from port, but it took us only a minute to return it and for them to drive us in their van to the port. The shuttle service doesn't cost - we just tipped.

Lisa

captaincrash
07-22-2006, 07:45 PM
We just found out THRIFTY has a rental agency near port canaveral... 3 miles away and they run a free shuttle to the terminal. Search under cape canaveral. They charge a $10 drop fee from airport ot CC - but their rates are awesome. AND .... try using WMRT as adiscount code... it should earn you 10% off!

I rented initially with Avis and Budget for October and September... we're had a sailing in October but shifted it to September for the 11 nite southern - and could not fully cancel or reuse the October flights without losing near 85% of what we originally paid - so we are in Orlando for both September and October. In October - same as when you're sailing we got a rental van - Dodge Caravan for $27.64 a day inclusive of taxes from Friday through Monday and $33 for a one day rental post cruise in September (Thursday). The WMRT discount code only worked in rentals from CC to MCO or round trip from MCO.

Avis and budget were about $60 from PC to MCO for full iszes and $45 for a compact from MCO to PC. R/T from MCO in October was not booked or checked with Avis or Hertz.

One cautionary note - I have yet to USE Thrifty and their shuttle. So I only hope they run an efficient shuttle service and treat us "right" at check ins and returns. However, they are a typical sounding commercial operation - so I do expect the usual levels of service as with any major rental agency.

So... if you can get this 7 passenger Caravan - you should do very well. We actually have a brand new Grand Caravan and if you run out of space to store your baggage INSIDE the van - bring some heavy twine or light rope and large trash bags and maybe packing tape.. Enclose your luggage in the trash bags - seal with tape and tie off to the roof - although this may seem excessive - if it rains while you're driving you'll be OK. Or - wait to enclose your luggage in trash bags and ape - but then you run the risk of being caught in rain and unable to find suitable shelter to protect your luggage. Anyways - that's my thinking on the matter - I hope it saves you time and money with a minimum of acrobatics on your part!

Cheers! :wave:

CRSNDSNY
07-22-2006, 07:49 PM
We've done all three of the options you've mentioned (and usually stay at least a night in WDW prior to a cruise) and are pleased the most with the car rental.

We've used Budget in the past for a 1-day rental and have gotten a standard for as little as $22 for one day. You'd probably want a full-size SUV or minivan for your party size. It'll save you a TON of money over DCL transfers. Budget was so easy to use and the staff were incredibly friendly and courteous.

You may want to visit the Transportation board on the DIS to do some research on how to get cheap prices -- I find the most inexpensive prices (with codes) to be about 1 month out of a trip.

GOOD LUCK!

Jhalkias
07-22-2006, 09:02 PM
We've done DCL, Limo, and Car rental, and by far prefer the car rental. It offers the most convenience.

I do what some others have said here - and wish others would do it too . . . I drop my family at the port with the luggage, then drive to gas up and drop off the car at Budget (just down the road from the Radisson). I wish others would do it that way too because the shuttles fill up with people who all go right to the car rental place and take the shuttle with all their luggage to the terminal.

BTW - on the return, DCL has a new waiting area (as of last year for us) that is under cover with ques for each shuttle (car rental, Radisson, etc). You can have a porter take your luggage right to the line. At one time you had to go across the street to the parking lot, but not any longer.

John