PDA

View Full Version : Difference in Cruise Prices

Mindibellcm
07-22-2006, 10:10 AM
Just wondering, can anyone tell me why TA have differenc prices on DCL? For the most part, I found that most were the same and the same as the website but one or 2 were less. One said "There is a Disney booking bonus of $50.00 per cabin for booking this cruise". No one else told me that. So I don't know if that was just their agency's booking bonus or if it was a "Disney" thing. They also had a rebate program. Anyway just wondering.
Thanks.
Mindi

lbgraves
07-22-2006, 10:14 AM
Some offer group rates because they have a block of rooms at a discount. Others offer rebates like you mentioned. It use to be alot better before DCL stopped allowing rebates in April.

GenieDana
07-22-2006, 10:17 AM
I wonder if this is illegal anyway? Do the RICO laws prevent price fixing on commodities? Not a lawyer, so I ask?

kcashner
07-22-2006, 10:19 AM
Sometimes a "bonus" is from an agency, sometimes it is from Disney.

I found an AAA ad offering a deal and asked my TA (at a different agency) about it. She was able to give me the same deal and book me immediately rather than needing to wait till the booking dates specified in the AAA ad.

Usually a "bonus" is an onboard credit, and this is typically from Disney. There are lots of ways to get one--usually requiring some sort of "code." Current offers I'm aware of include specific TAs, Disney Visa, and Castaway Club.

Some TAs are able to buy large blocks of cabins and then resell them at a discount. Obviously, this usually applies to the large agencies. Also, be sure that you are comparing the same things--quotes from Disney and/or on their web site include travel insurance and transfers. These may or may not be included in quotes from TAs.

Mindibellcm
07-22-2006, 11:32 AM
"It use to be alot better before DCL stopped allowing rebates in April."

Can someone explain what happened in April?
Thanks.
Mindi

lbgraves
07-22-2006, 11:37 AM
DCL stopped allowing TAs to rebate part of their commission back to the customer...which use to mean bigger credits or reduced rates. It is also harder to get as many group rates because they are limiting that as well.

captaincrash
07-22-2006, 08:30 PM
Yeah...

Our 1st DCL sailing 4 years ago was reasonably discounted at the last minute as we booked inside of 60 days. Since then DCOL was tightened everything up - and I have not seen any good discounting angles outside of the on-board rebooking discount and cabin credit. You can get an additional cabin credit possibly by using the site sponsor DREAMS UNLIMITED but it is still modest overall. Plus there are other TAs that provide a similar modest cabin credit too... but nothing significantly different from what I've seen.

I tried to personally obtain group space last year for a family gathering but DCL seemed impossible to deal with directly. I imagine there are a few privilaged TAs that might still get it. Otherwise... who knows?