PDA

View Full Version : When to tell the kids?

lenshanem
07-22-2006, 08:46 AM
We surprised them at Christmas for our cruise last January. (I did a pretty intricate pirate treasure map where they had to search the house.) They keep asking if we can go on another one and they don't know I have booked one for next May.

I'm wondering if I should tell them beforehand so they can get excited OR...

Our cruise leaves Sunday, we'd leave the house Saturday and that Friday is their last day of school! I almost started thinking we shouldn't tell them at all, but instead go ahead and book a Friday and Saturday night near the port and just pick them up from school on their last day and be like - SURPRISE! We're leaving now for a cruise!

That sounds pretty neat, but then would I be taking away the fun of waiting???

Thoughts?

kcashner
07-22-2006, 08:53 AM
It depends a little on age--there is a joy in anticipation. My only thought would be not to tell them too far in advance. It seems like it takes forever then. Perhaps ask them to help you pack a few days ahead.

Andrew DEREK UK
07-22-2006, 08:58 AM
I always invlove mine in the planing

lbgraves
07-22-2006, 09:20 AM
We have always told the kids when we book the cruise too. They have loved emailing other kids on the ship & making friends before they even board. They are always talking about when we are on the ship. :)

GreatDaneMom
07-22-2006, 03:07 PM
I've seen lots of people surprise their kids at the last minute and they seem to have a good time with it. But for our family I have to agree with those who think the anticipation is much of the fun. We have a great time researching the places we're going, ship layouts, excursions, etc. I'm just not willing to give up all those months of fun pre-cruise! :cloud9:

Cheryl

goin2disneyagain
07-22-2006, 03:53 PM
I guess this another one of those things where it is really just your personal preference. The anticipation is part of the fun. The planning and packing are also part of the fun. I would never be able to hide it that long anyway. There's nothing wrong with making it a complete surprise but I think that is something you have to do decide on yourself. How did they react last time? Did they like knowing a little ahead of time and then being able to pack for it? Maybe take that into consideration.

ivanova
07-22-2006, 04:22 PM
It depends...

I told my 16yo DD on Tuesday 7/18 about the 3night cruise we are currently on (we left the house 7/19 to board the ship 7/20). But I had only booked it on 7/13, so there wasn't a lot of anticipation to be had. :)

And we have a 7night (on NCL) booked for Spring Break, but haven't told her yet. That is going to be her big Christmas present this year, so she'll find out about 3 months before the cruise .. enough time to get excited, plan excursions, etc.

bdink921
07-22-2006, 04:50 PM
My DS7 has been asking and asking to go on a Disney cruise--we haven't told him yet and we're going to surprise him with it the day before the cruise or that very day. When we planned our WDW trip last year, he really didn't get into the planning side and would roll his eyes whenever the subject came up--he had a great time and loves WDW but doesn't want to talk about it until we're there--takes after his father there. So this time, we'll try complete surprise--we're telling him we are going to Florida to look at a boat we want to buy (not that we have the zillions we'd need to buy the Wonder ;) ). We booked last October and haven't blown it yet.

hidmickey:myantidrug
07-22-2006, 09:55 PM
What ever you do, don't tell your teenager 1 year and 7 months ahead of time, otherwise, they'll be spending every moment until then on here! Hmmm...sounds like a true story...

As for your situation, I would tell them maybe their last school day or the day before that. I always remember that telling my friends right before I went was half the fun and we'd always talk about all of our Disney memories!