PDA

View Full Version : Sailing in September??? Would you be worried??

BABYJOSIE98
07-21-2006, 09:53 AM
I really want to sail DCL again, but the prices keep creeping up!!! So I was looking at sailing a 4 night over Labor Day next September and it is actually pretty affordable.... :goodvibes

I am just not sure about sailing in September with how active hurricanes have been in the past..

Although I did sail on the Magic last October with Wilma out too Sea with us and we had perfect weather... :sunny:

UGH!! What to do....October prices are so much higher. I think they know some schools have Fall breaks now. :confused3

We tryed RCCL and DD loved the kids club...We had a blast, but my heart lies with Disney and I want to see the Flying Dutchman and Capt Jack!! pirate:

Thanks for any advice from September cruisers.....

mommasita
07-21-2006, 10:15 AM
We have cruised in September, along with Hurricane Jeanne. It was certainly eventful. It is not enough to stop me from cruising in Sept, or any other affordable, possible time. We go in fully aware, fully insured, and pray all will be safe. Other than that, we don't care where we go, safety is our main concern, so what if we miss a port or more, we are on a cruise....

We will be sailing this September as well, and hope for an inactive hurricane season for everyone it may touch...

:)

justplaingoofy
07-21-2006, 10:16 AM
Wouldn't stop me......

Mickee
07-21-2006, 10:16 AM
We're on the Double in Sept.
No worries here..(yet)

Tigger&Bubba
07-21-2006, 10:35 AM
We love sailing in September. :sunny: Last year was beautiful with uneventful weather for us. You just never know. You will be smack dab in the middle of the "season" just be prepared for itinerary changes. Get your travel insurance, and enjoy.

missyoh8
07-21-2006, 10:47 AM
We have decided to forgo the rock bottom prices of September and move to October.

I have had my last 4 beach vacations (including 2 cruises, the past 2 Septembers) changed due hurricanes!

That being said, since I won't be there, your luck should be great!!! :rotfl2: I am under the impression that it has something to do with me.

Go for it, buy the insurance and have a great time. Just be flexible and roll with the punches if something happens.

Missyoh8

allears
07-21-2006, 11:08 AM
We have cruised in Septeber, along with Hurricane Jeanne. It was certainly eventful. It is not enough to stop me from cruising in Sept, or any other affordable, possible time. We go in fully aware, fully insured, and pray all will be safe. Other than that, we don't care where we go, safety is our main concern, so what if we miss a port or more, we are on a cruise....

We will be sailing this September as well, and hope for an inactive hurricane season for everyone it may touch...

Our experience and philosophy exactly. After our last cruise in hurricane season, I swore I wouldn't do it again, not because we didn't have great time we did, but I was just a little obessive watching the hurricanes on the web. But we just couldn't get around the pricing

So we also go fully insured, plan for as many possibilities as we can and keep a very open flexible attitude. We will also be saying a few prayers that we aren't impacted, but we'll deal with what comes our way. So here we go again this September.

kfeuer
07-21-2006, 11:14 AM
We've sailed in Sept. 3 times with no problems. The prices make it worth the risk for us. Just get good trip insurance and try not to worry. I know we'll have a great time even if our itinerary gets changed.

webray
07-21-2006, 12:10 PM
We love cruising in September, great prices, we get the travel insurance just in case. Never have had to use it. We don't give the weather a second thought..why sweat the things you can't control. Just roll with it!

WDWLVR
07-21-2006, 12:25 PM
We sailed last September right after Labor day. The weather was great for the entire cruise. Ophelia did decide to go near Port Canaveral on the day we were due back so we ended up docking in Ft. Lauderdale. DCL took good care of us and bussed us back to the port.

LIFERBABE
07-21-2006, 12:28 PM
We cruised DCL for the first time last September.

We purchased insurance and that put me at ease.

We had a great cruise, but our return port was changed to Port Everglades, because of the storm that sat right off of Port Canaveral. They treated us great and instead of having to rent a car we all received free transfers to the airport or WDW with a snack box.

We are booked on the Sept. 7 day Double Dip and I am going on the DVC cruise in October. I make sure I have insurance.

Ker-Bear
07-21-2006, 12:55 PM
We have cruised in September, along with Hurricane Jeanne. It was certainly eventful. It is not enough to stop me from cruising in Sept, or any other affordable, possible time. We go in fully aware, fully insured, and pray all will be safe. Other than that, we don't care where we go, safety is our main concern, so what if we miss a port or more, we are on a cruise....

DITTO!

I am going on the Labor Day cruise this September. I purchased insurance and will hope for the best. I lived in South Florida for 24 years and every hurricane season doesn't generate the kinds of storms we saw the past two years. Plan for the worst and hope for the best. It's great time to cruise price wise. I wouldn't be able to afford it otherwise.

lindakmonty
07-21-2006, 01:04 PM
We sailed in Sept. and I wouldn't hesitate to cruise in Sept. again in the future. A hurricane was 3 days behind us and hit everywhere we had just been... but didn't effect us much. The guys here at work put a radar pix. on my desktop when I got back to work...it was pretty funny. I am very glad we weren't on the next cruise to go to those ports though.... not so much fun when the islands are all tore up! Our last cruise was in Dec 04 and they had just reopened Grand Cayman to tourists!! It was still pretty devistated. Houses w/roofs tore off... gives you a whole new perspective. We'll do it again though. as you said...the price is so much better :)!!!

MdmMim
07-21-2006, 02:09 PM
I, for one, would be too freaked out by every little storm in the AO prior to a September cruise. I'd be glued to the Weather Channel a few weeks before my departure, watching for anything in the tropics! :crazy:

Therefore, I cruise in the winter. There may be storms then, but no hurricanes. pirate: I could not do it.

WldWcnWmn
07-21-2006, 02:13 PM
We're on the Double in Sept.
No worries here..(yet)

Us, too...insured, fingers crossed! ::yes::

BABYJOSIE98
07-21-2006, 02:27 PM
I love these boards.... :thumbsup2

I may consider booking over Labor day next September..Plus it would fall on my Birthday!!! :goodvibes

I just can not believe how the DCL prices have went up!! Well I guess that I can with them only having 2 ships. It is like no other!! pirate:

I will see how this September goes. I am not worried about the Captain keeping us clear...It is just getting to your Port to board the ship that messes everything up if a storm is coming.

I have sailed in January and we had awful seas and wind!! I can't imagine it being any worse and it was COLD!! I think I would much rather take my chance with Sept and hope for the best!

gottaluvpooh
07-21-2006, 04:42 PM
Exactly what kind of trip insurance do you have? I know some don't cover hurricanes or some don't cover medical. Just courious. We are sailing in Oct :cool1: and think insurance is a good idea. Some people told me its too late to purchase insurance - others say its not really necessary.

BuzzNutt
07-21-2006, 04:47 PM
I, for one, would be too freaked out by every little storm in the AO prior to a September cruise. I'd be glued to the Weather Channel a few weeks before my departure, watching for anything in the tropics! :crazy:

Therefore, I cruise in the winter. There may be storms then, but no hurricanes. pirate: I could not do it.

:happytv: :rotfl2: This just mad me laugh becuase this was me last year before we went to WDW. We did get Wilma for a day but all was well in the end.

karylrocks
07-21-2006, 11:50 PM
Glad to see you got your tags back :)

Exactly what kind of trip insurance do you have? I know some don't cover hurricanes or some don't cover medical. Just courious. We are sailing in Oct. and think insurance is a good idea. Some people told me its too late to purchase insurance - others say its not really necessary.You can purchase insurance up until right before your trip. You can compare coverages at *****************, definitely get one with medical as many health plans do not cover out of the U.S. I think it is well worth having for any trip in which you spend more than a few hundred dollars.

kcashner
07-22-2006, 09:09 AM
We have sailed 5 or 6 times in September for the low rates and a birthday. On only one cruise did a hurricane (jeane) interfere with our cruise. ON one other cruise, we visited alternative ports.

Bottom line, DCL will put safety first. If missing one of the scheduled ports would just ruin your vacation, don't cruise at all. You can never tell when high waves might prevent docking or tendering, etc. If you are willing to "go with the flow" and know that you will have a Magical cruise, no matter where the ship takes you, then this is an excellent time to get a good value. September weather is typically warm and sunny without the oppressive heat of July/August.

Buy travel insurance, and look forward to a great trip. Let the captain and DCL worry about the forecast--they will take you to a lovely spot in the ocean and visit whatever ports are safe.

allears
07-22-2006, 11:55 AM
Bottom line, DCL will put safety first. If missing one of the scheduled ports would just ruin your vacation, don't cruise at all. You can never tell when high waves might prevent docking or tendering, etc. If you are willing to "go with the flow" and know that you will have a Magical cruise, no matter where the ship takes you, then this is an excellent time to get a good value.
Buy travel insurance, and look forward to a great trip. Let the captain and DCL worry about the forecast--they will take you to a lovely spot in the ocean and visit whatever ports are safe.

K is so right, especially about your mind set about ports. During the hurricane season there were a few people not happy that they didn't get to go where they orignially planned to. Lots of discussions about compensation and disappointment because people wanted to go to X but the ship sailed to Y. The bottom line is the itninearies are always subject to change and again like my fellow Hurricane Jeanne vet K said, safety first.

Our destination is the ship, the ports are a bonus. We really don't much care where we go, though we really do like to get to CC, as long as we're cruising we're happy. Our ports changed almost completely on our shortened cruise of 04, but we had an unforgettabley awesome time.

The truth is the destinations can change at any time of the year depending on weather and sea conditions. It doesn't happen a lot, but is ways an inate risk of this mode of travel.

pyramid2000
07-22-2006, 12:07 PM
Go for it! :thumbsup2 Our weather was much nicer last September than last January. With a 3 day, you will know for sure if any weather will be bothering you when you board the ship. We were sandwiched between two hurricanes and had gorgeous weather, if not a little too hot in the parks! If we ever do September again, i would definately get insurance. I didn't even think about it last time. :blush: