PDA

View Full Version : Phones, cameras, ipod chargers and more!!!

Mom323
07-20-2006, 04:35 PM
Well, we are up to 4 chargers and 1 power strip. Has anyone used an iGo Power Adapter? :confused3

I was at Radio Shack looking for a travel power strip and they recommended this iGo thing to replace all the different chargers.

I am not a tech person and it sounds like I could possible frap something out if I connected the camera or ipod incorrectly. :scared:

Any recommendations for a tech wimp?

dizneykids
07-20-2006, 05:15 PM
My DH uses the iGo for his electronics while traveling. It cuts down on the number of chargers he has to bring for PC, Blackberry, iPod, etc. He says there are 3 different models, and you can charge your PC and one other item. Make sure, he says, to get the right tips for the different items you need to charge.

hericane ally
07-20-2006, 05:25 PM
My husband travels alot. He lives by his IGo. This is a very handy gadget that can be customized to most all electronic items. You purchase the charging unit then you can purchase individual tips that fit your cell phone, ipod, PS2's or other items. Radio Shack carries a number of tips but the Apple site can identify and ship any tips needed.

15minfromOGDL
07-20-2006, 05:31 PM
Pure garbage...

Just a salesperson trying to sell you some extra junk. If you have the extra $$, go for it, it will cut down on the number of items you bring. The max you can charge at one time I believe is 2 items. But for the price of the IGO system (adaptor plus the tips) to power all your electronics you can treat yourself to a massage in Vista.

If you have an IKEA in your area, they sell tiny power strips about 6 inches in length for less than $5. I've brought that for compactness.

mowog
07-20-2006, 06:17 PM
My problem with this type if item is that I normally want to charge more than 2 items at a time. I don't feel like having to remember to switch or check to see if an item is charged. I bought a power squid power cord which gives you 5 outlets form a single plug. Another nice item is power strip liberators which are short extensions that free up plugs on a power strip lost to power bricks that hog more than one outlet. It seems we travel heavy with 2 cell phones, PDA, bluetooh headset, digital cameras, ipods, laptop sometimes- so we never have enough outlets but everything is low wattage.

The power squid is way overbuilt and heavier than I would like. It must be designed to plug in power tools where only one at a time is used- I wished they had a lighter version but then some idiot would plug too much into it (although it has a circuit breaker built in). A power strip and the liberator extensions is a nice combination in my opinion.

downby3
07-20-2006, 08:51 PM
www.igo.com has a demo on there. Make sure you get the right tip. I wouldn't recommend it unless you just have extra money to fork out to save soem space in your suitcase. I bought one a while back and I never use it. I still need to get the right tip for my digital camera and camcorder. :3dglasses

Mom323
07-21-2006, 08:47 AM
downby3- Thanks for the link, it answers alot of questions. :)

mowog- You bring up some good options. I am such a tech wimp I had to google power squid, power brick and power strip liberators :scratchin

15minfromOGDL- If I have figured it out correctly the total cost will be about $124.00. However, like remodeling a home I am sure there is something I have forgotten, so I will factor in about another $30. The good news is that DD is off to college and with plugs at a premium in a dorm room it should come in handy for her as well. :cool1:

I think I am leaning toward the iGo. Getting the iGo eliminates the power strip, liberators or squid, not to mention all the chargers and cords. Our one carryon was begining to look like a snake pit. I like KISS. puckerup: (keep it simple st***d) Also if we ever make it to europe we can get the right powercord.

Even though we will only be able to charge two things at a time. I think it will work for us. :thumbsup2

Thanks for everyone help. :goodvibes

hericane ally
07-21-2006, 08:53 AM
Pure garbage...

Just a salesperson trying to sell you some extra junk. If you have the extra $$, go for it, it will cut down on the number of items you bring. The max you can charge at one time I believe is 2 items. But for the price of the IGO system (adaptor plus the tips) to power all your electronics you can treat yourself to a massage in Vista.

If you have an IKEA in your area, they sell tiny power strips about 6 inches in length for less than $5. I've brought that for compactness.

If you travel alot-like my husband--the weight of all the charges can be alot especially when you have computers and other equipment to carry not to mention a suitcase for 4 or 5 days. After doing this day in and day out you will gladly pay the money not to have all the items to pack/unpack and keep up with. He keeps his original charges in his home office and packs his igo for travel.

Mom323
07-21-2006, 12:51 PM
hericane ally

After reading your post and having nothing better to do, :rolleyes1 I pulled out the food scale and weighed all our chargers and regular power strip (haven't found a travel one yet). It came to 3lbs 10oz.

With the airlines enforcing the 50lb rule, (southwest charges $25 for anything over 51 lbs), that almost 4lbs could be a pair of shoes or a shopping trip!!!

Not to mention I am a neat freak and all those cords were driving me nuts. Plus more room for shopping !!!! :Pinkbounc

Thanks for one more reason for me to get the iGo. :cloud9: