PDA

View Full Version : OT- Post here if your received $100 Govt Cheque!

NikP
07-20-2006, 04:55 PM
It is offical, cheques are in the mail for families with children under the age of 6. The government has gone thru with its promise on universal child care. :cool1: I am happy that my choice to stay home with my children has been finally recognized by our government. It was a very difficult choice to make that I stay home with our children, we gave up a lot to be able to do this. So I am happy that the government is including us stay at home parents aswell!!

I can't wait to get my mail in the next few days.

mousy_in_canada
07-20-2006, 05:48 PM
I did not get it today but I qualify for one of my girls.. I am very happy to get it for all the reasons you listed, for so long you feel like the sacrifices of staying home is just too much but this is a nice way of feeling appreciated, the money is helpful but feeling like I am being rewarded for staying at home is worth more.

Did you get your money today? I am going away next week and I hope to have it before we go, if not then I guess it will be there when I get home.
I will sign up for direct deposit, it is more dependable then the mail.

F4disneyfan
07-20-2006, 05:52 PM
Wow we have 2 under 6 at home so is this a monthly thing or what?

amw
07-20-2006, 06:57 PM
Wow we have 2 under 6 at home so is this a monthly thing or what?

Here's what the official release says:

"The Universal Child Care Benefit will be paid to families in monthly instalments of $100 per child for children under six. It is estimated that 1.6 million families will receive the Universal Child Care Benefit, on behalf of a total of 2.1 million children under the age of six.

More than 90 percent of Canadian parents who are already registered for the Canada Child Tax Benefit will automatically receive the Universal Child Care Benefit cheques. Parents who register after July 2006 will be eligible to receive retroactive payments for up to 11 months."

For more info:
http://news.gc.ca/cfmx/view/en/index.jsp?articleid=227849

F4disneyfan
07-20-2006, 08:04 PM
So by my understanding if you recieve the monthly child tax credit you are going to recieve this also or am I mis reading this?

GoofyArt
07-20-2006, 08:14 PM
The only relationship between the Cdn Child Tax Benefit and the new Universal Benefit, is the gov't is using the CCTB applications as a basis for making initial UCCB payments.

You don't need to get the CCTB to get the new benefit. In my case, I did not qualify for the CCTB... but I CAN get the UCCB because it is universal and is paid to every child under 6 no matter what. I had to apply for the CCTB this month, even knowing I do not qualify, simply in order to get the new benefit.

Edited to add: and of course, if you already get the CCTB you automatically get the UCCB without doing anything.

Art

F4disneyfan
07-20-2006, 08:34 PM
The only relationship between the Cdn Child Tax Benefit and the new Universal Benefit, is the gov't is using the CCTB applications as a basis for making initial UCCB payments.

You don't need to get the CCTB to get the new benefit. In my case, I did not qualify for the CCTB... but I CAN get the UCCB because it is universal and is paid to every child under 6 no matter what. I had to apply for the CCTB this month, even knowing I do not qualify, simply in order to get the new benefit.

Edited to add: and of course, if you already get the CCTB you automatically get the UCCB without doing anything.

Art

Ok thanks Art that was how I was understanding it also but the wording left some holes as to not completely clear this up well to me anyhow but hey what do I know I just go to work and pay taxes and shell out money for the kids LOL.

andysgirl360
07-20-2006, 08:51 PM
I also qualify for my DD5. I receive the **** by direct deposit on the 20th of every month. I received July's payment. Should I be looking for a cheque in the mail or will it also be by direct deposit?

mousy_in_canada
07-20-2006, 09:22 PM
The 1st payment will by cheque in the mail and then you can enrol in Direct deposit.. I was thinking it was coming with the CCTB today but it did not. I am watching my mail and hoping to get it on Friday before I leave.
anyone get it today?

KerriMc
07-20-2006, 09:49 PM
I qualify for both of my daughters (almost 3 and 5yrs). Do you know if it if for "six and under" or just "under six"? I am working halftime since I had my second dd and this money will be nice :) After taxes I wonder how much it is though? I guess we'll see in next year :rolleyes: My Child tax credit just went down to a whopping $21 ... a pack of pull-ups!

Does anyone know if that $500 credit towards activities that your kids are in is ever going to happen? Was this just something they talked about ... just wondering :)

Kerri :sunny:

F4disneyfan
07-20-2006, 09:59 PM
I qualify for both of my daughters (almost 3 and 5yrs). Do you know if it if for "six and under" or just "under six"? I am working halftime since I had my second dd and this money will be nice :) After taxes I wonder how much it is though? I guess we'll see in next year :rolleyes: My Child tax credit just went down to a whopping $21 ... a pack of pull-ups!

Does anyone know if that $500 credit towards activities that your kids are in is ever going to happen? Was this just something they talked about ... just wondering :)

Kerri :sunny:

Holy cow 21 bucks man don't spend it all in one place LOL.

tone.def
07-20-2006, 11:12 PM
After taxes I wonder how much it is though?

I've heard the figure of $3/day... I don't have children (yet), but how on earth does that pay for child care :confused3

Newcastle
07-20-2006, 11:28 PM
I've heard the figure of $3/day... I don't have children (yet), but how on earth does that pay for child care :confused3

My point exactly!! As far as I'm concerned, this was nothing more than an election strategy and does nothing to address the seriously lacking number of affordable daycare spaces currently available. JMO.

Sandy22
07-20-2006, 11:50 PM
My point exactly!! As far as I'm concerned, this was nothing more than an election strategy and does nothing to address the seriously lacking number of affordable daycare spaces currently available. JMO.

No kidding...in my area, the waiting lists for licenced child care centers are over 4 years! That's ridiculous. :furious: I rather have a guaranteed spot in a quality daycare center instead of a $100 per month.

And no I didn't get my cheque today :teeth:

BitsnBearsMom
07-21-2006, 07:27 AM
Do you know if it if for "six and under" or just "under six"?

My understanding is it is UNDER 6 - my ds' turned 6yo in Jan of this year so we don't qualify - and to make matters worse my CTB was cut in half this year! Oh well.... won't complain about dh pay increases that caused it!!

As for the activity amount - I do believe I read that it will be linked with your income tax returns if I read it all right!

mickeywho?
07-21-2006, 08:20 AM
[B]As for the activity amount - I do believe I read that it will be linked with your income tax returns if I read it all right!

What's the activity amount? Is that something that you need to apply for? Is it based on your income? :confused3

We haven't rec'd our $100 yet. I called on Wednesday to find out if I had to apply and I was told we were already in the system because we check the box on our tax return every year for CTB. The cheques were being mailed from the 20th and everyone should have it by Aug 3 - if you don't CALL and they'll sort it out. (My youngest turns 6 in May so we'll only get it until then, but after 9 years of being home with the kids I'll take it over nothing at all)

DutchsMommy
07-21-2006, 08:27 AM
I am a little confused about applying as well. I think we got the CTB when he was first born, but have not qualified for a while. I got the forms from the gov't website but have not sent them in. I actually found them a bit confusing (go figure - gov't forms confusing :rotfl: ). Anyway, I suppose I better get them sent in!

snickerboo
07-21-2006, 09:36 AM
I haven't received mine yet, either. I have a 3-yr-old and a 6-yr-old and I get CTB by direct deposit.

As for the validity of it, I think it's great. I am a stay-at-home mom and I appreciate a Prime Minister who sees the value in that. I don't think the government should have to pay for childcare at all.

DisFan2
07-21-2006, 12:20 PM
As for the validity of it, I think it's great. I am a stay-at-home mom and I appreciate a Prime Minister who sees the value in that. I don't think the government should have to pay for childcare at all.

+1. This is a step towards recognizing that a) not everyone has access to subsidized care (e.g. rural residents) and b) that people who choose options outside the system shouldn't be entirely shut out financially.

And no, we haven't rec'd our cheque yet - day's not over yet though!

mommytodarlings
07-21-2006, 12:44 PM
The cheques were to be mailed on the 20th and you can expect up to 10 business days for delivery (gotta love Canada Post) If you do not receive it by Aug 4th, call to sort out.

The UCCB is for children under 6. There is a supplement on the CCTB for children under 7, if you qualify for the UCCB(child under 6) then you will not receive the CCTB supplement. However, if your child is over 6, but under 7, you will still get this supplement.

We have a $60 decrease in our CCTB due to this. Our children are all under 6 so we get the UCCB and not the CCTB supplement.

A children’s fitness tax credit for up to $500 in eligible fees for physical fitness programs for each child under age 16. This will be claimed on your income tax.

HTH

maddiel
07-21-2006, 02:10 PM
My youngest turned 6 in June. Just my luck....

Is there a list available of what activities "count" for the children’s fitness tax credit? Nova Scotia has one as well and I had to go running around in the Spring to get receipts because it was put into effect halfway through the year. It mght affect what I put them in this year.

M.

mommytodarlings
07-21-2006, 02:55 PM
My youngest turned 6 in June. Just my luck....

Is there a list available of what activities "count" for the children’s fitness tax credit? Nova Scotia has one as well and I had to go running around in the Spring to get receipts because it was put into effect halfway through the year. It mght affect what I put them in this year.

M.

The physical activity credit is supposed to be effective Jan 2007. I don't think they have an "official" list yet. They are supposed to be consulting with fitness experts to determine what should qualify.

DD takes ballet, but who knows whether that will be included or not.

maddiel
07-21-2006, 03:11 PM
The physical activity credit is supposed to be effective Jan 2007. I don't think they have an "official" list yet. They are supposed to be consulting with fitness experts to determine what should qualify.

DD takes ballet, but who knows whether that will be included or not.

Thanks! With the NS credit, dd6's pre-school ballet was counted because it was through the city's recreation program. The NS credit is based on only $150 per kid, so it was pretty easy to use it up!

M.

Sandy22
07-21-2006, 04:00 PM
The UCCB is for children under 6. There is a supplement on the CCTB for children under 7, if you qualify for the UCCB(child under 6) then you will not receive the CCTB supplement. However, if your child is over 6, but under 7, you will still get this supplement.

We have a $60 decrease in our CCTB due to this. Our children are all under 6 so we get the UCCB and not the CCTB supplement.

I called the 1-800 number because I wanted to know if I qualified for the $500 + $1500 Education Bond. You qualify if you receive the CCTB supplement. Turns out I don't receive the supplement so I can't get the free education money. Anyhoo, the person I was speaking too at the call centre said they just found out the CCTB supplement wasn't included in the budget so it's being eliminated. My sister is a low-income family and she's also going to see a decrease in her total Child tax benefit under this new system.

BitsnBearsMom
07-21-2006, 05:11 PM
What's the activity amount? Is that something that you need to apply for? Is it based on your income? :confused3

Here's a link I found that explains everything. Clear as mud just like all other gov. things!! :lmao:
http://www.fin.gc.ca/budget06/pamph/pahelpe.htm

Children’s Fitness Tax Credit
Budget 2006 proposes to introduce, effective January 1, 2007, a tax credit to promote physical fitness among children. For each child under 16, the credit will be provided on up to $500 in eligible fees for programs of physical activity.

The Government will consult with a small group of experts in health and physical fitness to determine which programs should be eligible for the credit.

zookeeper
07-21-2006, 07:03 PM
The 1st payment will by cheque in the mail and then you can enrol in Direct deposit.. I was thinking it was coming with the CCTB today but it did not. I am watching my mail and hoping to get it on Friday before I leave.
anyone get it today?

I got our CCTB through direct deposit as usual, but I haven't gotten anything else. I'm glad to hear that the first cheque is coming by mail because I was wondering. I assumed it would be tacked on to the CCTB and when it wasn't I was a little worried.

Addicted2TheMouse
07-21-2006, 09:18 PM
I got my CCTB in the mail yesterday (which was reduced, BTW) and the UCCB today. Between the $100 from the UCCB and the $41 from the CCTB, it covers one week of daycare. :rolleyes:

maryliz
07-21-2006, 10:47 PM
Do you know if it if for "six and under" or just "under six"?

My understanding is it is UNDER 6 - my ds' turned 6yo in Jan of this year so we don't qualify - and to make matters worse my CTB was cut in half this year! Oh well.... won't complain about dh pay increases that caused it!!

As for the activity amount - I do believe I read that it will be linked with your income tax returns if I read it all right!

Yep ... this is my life too. I was pregnant with DS when the gov't announced the 1 year mat leave ... to start in Jan of the FOLLOWING year. :mad: And now they've introduced this and DS just turned 6 in March. :furious:

And my CCTB was cut as well, and as I read the little leaflet that came with it, it said something about a child turning 6 having an effect on this amount. Whatever ... :rolleyes:

MaryLiz

RainbowsMist
07-22-2006, 12:20 AM
For the 2005 income tax returns, here in NS we were allowed a deduction of $150 per child who were registered in an approved organized sport, physical recreation, or physical activity program.

The Nova Scotia Government website under the Health Promotion and Detection area posted a list of all the registered organizations. If you had receipts from any of these organizations you could use up to $150 as a deduction per child.

Both of my daughters Gymnastics Club and Horse Riding Facility were listed so we were allowed to deduct $300.

Here is the 2006 list so far: http://www.gov.ns.ca/hpp/HealthyLivingIncentiveEligibility.html

Hope that helps.

U2FanHfx
07-22-2006, 06:27 AM
RainbowsMist - I work for Gov. NS and if I recall correctly, an amendment made it into the budget that ups the 'active' deduction a little bit higher for each of the next few years.

NOW MY RANT.

I was almost able to stop myself from posting in this form, but my self control isn't that great.

This is exactly what others have stated, an election ploy. How can you obtain universal day care on $5/day? Providing permanent affordable spots would, giving the money to parents doesn't create new spots so you still have a waitlist problem. Also, a friend of mine has her DD in daycare and that location is just going to up the cost per month to 'make sure' the money gets spent on daycare! :rotfl2:

This government has a hint of the Bush Administration, give everyone a little money and see if the keep their mouths shut. You know how that's working out for their national budget!

CJM

mommytodarlings
07-22-2006, 12:45 PM
I agree the UCCB is not enough to pay for your daycare, but I also believe that as a stay-at-home parent, I should be recognized as well.

Yes, it is our choice for me to stay home and we are lucky that dh makes enough for me to able to, but along with staying home comes some sacrifice too.

As it is now, we pay more $$ in taxes than a dual income family making the same family income. I think this is something that should be addressed. Speaking taxation wise, why should it be better for dh to take a lower paying job and me go back to work. It seems ridiculous. Why should we pay more tax because we have 1 person, say making $70,000 as opposed to 2 people making a combined income of $70,000. Then that couple also gets to write off their daycare expenses.

It doesn't make sense, IMHO, you should be taxed on the "family" income and not as individuals.

mbb
07-22-2006, 03:09 PM
I agree the UCCB is not enough to pay for your daycare, but I also believe that as a stay-at-home parent, I should be recognized as well.

Yes, it is our choice for me to stay home and we are lucky that dh makes enough for me to able to, but along with staying home comes some sacrifice too.

As it is now, we pay more $$ in taxes than a dual income family making the same family income. I think this is something that should be addressed. Speaking taxation wise, why should it be better for dh to take a lower paying job and me go back to work. It seems ridiculous. Why should we pay more tax because we have 1 person, say making $70,000 as opposed to 2 people making a combined income of $70,000. Then that couple also gets to write off their daycare expenses.

It doesn't make sense, IMHO, you should be taxed on the "family" income and not as individuals.

ITA::yes:: ::yes::

The concept of "income splitting" has been around a long time, and is still ignored by government.

Paying a *small* percentage of Canadians a very *small* amount, and getting lots of good press for it = smart political move....she says *with tongue firmly tucked in cheek*

JMHO, YMMV

:sunny:

Disneyof3
07-22-2006, 04:58 PM
:sad1:

My CCTB was reduced as well just recieved through direct into my account but went for mail and no $100 cheque. Still waiting for this and hope I get. My son is under 6 but my daughter is just 6 now so I guess won't get for her.

Next WDW trip: Feb or March 2007 POR HOPEFULLY!!!! :grouphug:

mamax2
07-22-2006, 05:50 PM
Oh. I am sooo happy to get this news!! We've been waiting for this. My 2nd daughter was born this month, and I really want to stay home with them, so this is really going to help!

disney funseeker
07-22-2006, 07:11 PM
Yep ... this is my life too. I was pregnant with DS when the gov't announced the 1 year mat leave ... to start in Jan of the FOLLOWING year. :mad: And now they've introduced this and DS just turned 6 in March. :furious:

And my CCTB was cut as well, and as I read the little leaflet that came with it, it said something about a child turning 6 having an effect on this amount. Whatever ... :rolleyes:

MaryLiz

MaryLiz & Bitsnbearsmom, I know how you feel. Same situation happened to us.

momto1disneyfan
07-22-2006, 07:20 PM
I feel I have to voice my opionion on the goverments decision for sending cheques out for child care. Persaonlly I dont agree with it, yes I feel that it is important for parents to be able to stay at home with your children. My DS in now 14. I stayed at home with him for 5 years and didn't get any help from the government. We managed with quite a few cut backs to our budget. Know that he is older I am now able to work full time. However recently the government raised income tax July 1st, was this to cover the child care cheques? I am happy for everyone that is getting it, but at what cost to the rest of the Canadians.

DisFan2
07-23-2006, 05:47 AM
Every government program, whether well intentioned or simply politically motivated, is going to cost money. I don't believe this change in child care policy represents a net change in terms of cost; its more of a reallocation of the dollars budgeted towards child care. In fact, some critics have argued that the Conservatives are now spending less net dollars on child care.

For as long as I can remember, governments just plowed the money into the daycare system - the new policy, I believe, recognizes that this "one size fits all" type solution doesn't work for everyone. It doesn't cut funding off for daycare spots, but it does, for the first time, give those of us outside the "universal" daycare system a little bit of breathing room.

NikP
07-23-2006, 04:10 PM

You are thinking the same as I am. I was a general accountant and we thought it would be best for our children to be cared for by one of us. Not someone else. Sure Organized child care has its place, but more parents should be encouraged to stay home and raise their own children. This might be just a small incentive. As for tax breaks. :rotfl2: Stay at home parents get burned. At tax time I actually get very frustrated by this. BUt, I knew this when we made the decision for me to stay home.

tribus121
07-24-2006, 05:02 PM
ours came in the mail today

Sandy22
07-24-2006, 05:26 PM
ours came in the mail today

Mine too! It was nice to see some of my hard earned money being sent back to me! :lmao:

DisFan2
07-24-2006, 05:38 PM
Came today. Payable to... my wife. Rats.

F4disneyfan
07-24-2006, 08:33 PM
Well it arrived today 200.00 bucks so I can't complain plus we get to claim the kids activities on our taxes now to so even better hockey and gymnastics and tumbling and all those other things add up LOL.

F4disneyfan
07-24-2006, 08:47 PM
You are thinking the same as I am. I was a general accountant and we thought it would be best for our children to be cared for by one of us. Not someone else. Sure Organized child care has its place, but more parents should be encouraged to stay home and raise their own children. This might be just a small incentive. As for tax breaks. :rotfl2: Stay at home parents get burned. At tax time I actually get very frustrated by this. BUt, I knew this when we made the decision for me to stay home.

We both work but still get around the daycare issue. We just work opposite shifts teh wife works 7-2 and I work 3-11 so I am home with the kids in the day then she is home with them at night. No daycare costs and no loss of income it works great. I remember before this arrangement daycare costs were over 800 a month after subsidy paid it's share.

Reese
07-24-2006, 08:53 PM
We both work but still get around the daycare issue. We just work opposite shifts teh wife works 7-2 and I work 3-11 so I am home with the kids in the day then she is home with them at night. No daycare costs and no loss of income it works great. I remember before this arrangement daycare costs were over 800 a month after subsidy paid it's share.

Same thing here only I work 3-11 and DH works 7-3, but we work at the same place so we can switch the kids at the punch clock ;) .

I did recieve a cheque today for it. I thought since my income tax goes direct deposit that this would too but I guess I must fill out my bank info.

connorsmom911
07-24-2006, 08:55 PM
got mine today too...now if I was a responsible parent, I would put it right into his RESP and get the governments 20% on top of the money they just sent me...maybe this way we'll be able to actually afford the post-secondary education that will likely cost $10k a term by the time he gets there!!! :lmao:

SnowWhite
07-25-2006, 07:29 AM
Got ours yesterday in the mail. It will cover my sons nursery school fees. How many Mickey Bars will $100.00 buy? He really doesn't need nursery school that bad anyways.............. :lmao:

Rob (Snowwhite's DH)

F4disneyfan
07-25-2006, 09:15 AM
got mine today too...now if I was a responsible parent, I would put it right into his RESP and get the governments 20% on top of the money they just sent me...maybe this way we'll be able to actually afford the post-secondary education that will likely cost $10k a term by the time he gets there!!! :lmao:

Ours is going into the kids Disney fund for all 3 of them to split so they are going to have about 1200 bucks to share between the 3 of them for spending money for Dec. We may just give them each 150.00 out of it and save some for next years trip as it will get knocked down to 100.00 after next May.

DutchsMommy
07-25-2006, 10:35 AM
Got mine yesterday too!

diz karen
07-25-2006, 01:24 PM
Ours is going into the kids Disney fund for all 3 of them to split so they are going to have about 1200 bucks to share between the 3 of them for spending money for Dec. We may just give them each 150.00 out of it and save some for next years trip as it will get knocked down to 100.00 after next May.

I suppose I will get flamed for this opinion but here goes. I have a problem with a government who just gives out money to everyone. Some people do not need the money as much as others. If we are going to have government funded programs (that comes from our tax money), I want it to go to people in need. There are many children suffering in inadequate day care arangements or parents who can not get a job because of lack of child care.
Yes it is nice your kids will have a 1200.00 fund to spend at Disney but should that come from taxpayers? We need money spent to HELP Canadian families.

Rubbertops
07-25-2006, 01:29 PM
Some people do not need the money as much as others. I want it to go to people in need.

I agree.

DisFan2
07-25-2006, 03:48 PM
I suppose I will get flamed for this opinion but here goes. I have a problem with a government who just gives out money to everyone. Some people do not need the money as much as others. If we are going to have government funded programs (that comes from our tax money), I want it to go to people in need. There are many children suffering in inadequate day care arangements or parents who can not get a job because of lack of child care.
Yes it is nice your kids will have a 1200.00 fund to spend at Disney but should that come from taxpayers? We need money spent to HELP Canadian families.

I won't flame you for it; F4s post plays right into the infamous "popcorn and beer" criticism of the program. Having said that, F4 still incurs childcare expenses - if he chooses to take the $100 and use it to reduce them or put it towards some other fund, that's up to him. Bottom line - he still has to pay for childcare.

With respect to money going to people in need, I also agree. However, most Canadian taxpayers do not support "means testing" - e.g. why does Ken Thomson (probably the richest person in Canada) get "free" medicare?

cabmom
07-25-2006, 04:58 PM
Got mine today and will not debate about it :thumbsup2

Marilynn

F4disneyfan
07-25-2006, 05:42 PM

No offence taken DizKaren you are right but for years we struggled to pay for adequate daycare for our kids while we both worked in the daytime. We sent the kids to Tutor Time it was a more school type atmosphere like Montesori and it cost us 800 a month after subsidy paid part of it. I know how you feel about the people in need but I to am a taxpayer and support many programs I may never see a penny from but I really don't care because the money is supporting Canadians.

KerriMc
07-25-2006, 09:21 PM
I got mine today too :thumbsup2

I'm glad I am getting this ... I never get much of anything, because we apparently have TOO much (or make too much) ... if I have so much why do I have five bucks left in my bank account until Thursday??? We aren't fancy people, don't do fancy trips, drive ordinary cars, work ordinary jobs, have our kids in average activities, are frugal with what we buy and we still struggle. This isn't a freebie ... I will be taxed for it in the long run ...

Oh and as for those who NEED it ... totally agree there are MANY who need it, but for what I have seen working in the bank and now the school system, there are sooooo many who live off the system. They get an income tax refund (yet don't work), have every phone and television bell and whistle you can imagine, drive better cars than I do, pay a couple of hundred dollars in rent in brand new apartment buildings, get child tax credits, .. etc, etc. Now I do live in a city that has a higher per capita number of people who live on social assistance, so maybe I just see too much of it. For many that is because this is how they were raised and they then continue the same cycle. Many a young girl has a baby to have a "meal ticket" as they see it. It is a shame as it is only the little ones who are suffering here.

At the end of the month while working at the bank, without fail, they would all be lined up waiting to get into the bank at precisely 9 am. Some of them cleared $2000 a month (not including their CTC). Many withdrew the majority of that money, aside from paying their phone and cable bills. Amazing how many of them had huge phone bills ... endless long distance, call display, call answering, call waiting, etc, same for cable ... many pay per view, extra movie channels, etc. If you walked around with 1500 in your pocket in cash, wouldn't you spend it fairly fast??? It was just so frustrating to think that - They made more in a month than I did working :confused3 ... Had all of these fancy phone and tv things that we couldn't afford to have!

If there were people who truly needed it, who made some effort to get ahead in their lives and get more education or actually work - fine - but there are TOO many who make this a lifestyle and it is very frustrating!!! And don't get me wrong, social assistance is there to help those who need it short term, but not from the beginning of adulthood until the day you die. That is what is sucking the system dry ... not the people who truly need it, like the average joe!!

Ok ... maybe that was a bit of a rant, but it just irks me how many people in my city are like this ...

Kerri

Disneyof3
07-25-2006, 09:59 PM
:cool1:

I got mine yesterday and am glad but they'll get me come income tax time and take most of it away.

Sandy22
07-26-2006, 02:49 AM
Ok ... maybe that was a bit of a rant, but it just irks me how many people in my city are like this ...

Kerri

I hear you! I totally support social programs and assistance for those who truly need it long-term like those with disabilities or seniors and I support it for short-term situations to get people back on their feet but I'm so sick and tired of people popping out babies every x amount of years so they don't get cut off and lose their cheque. I have a family member who llives off of assistance and it's insane what they get! Free clothes for the kids, free food vouchers and free food at the food bank, free furniture when they moved, more free furniture with each successive child, free registration in all kinds of activities for the kids, really high CTB payments and now Universal Child Care payments and to top it off a "free" cheque every month. This family has cell phones, cable, internet, the works...and they can afford to smoke too! :furious:

They feel entitled because they both get to stay at home and raise the kids. The gov't "owes" them since they're choosing to stay at home. Well isn't that nice! :sad2:

There is really no incentive for these people to work since they would be financially worse off. Anyway, that's my own rant. Every April, when I do my income taxes and see how much I've paid...I think, well there, I've just supported so and so's family all year! :rolleyes:

tone.def
07-26-2006, 07:48 AM
Every April, when I do my income taxes and see how much I've paid...I think, well there, I've just supported so and so's family all year! :rolleyes:

Sometimes it makes me wonder why I work! I remember when I was a teen, I grew up in a small town with a high social assisstance rate and I was a cashier in a grocery store and the families would come through to buy their "food" and cash their cheque at the end of the month, you'd think they'd buy stuff like laundry detergent, shampoo and soap because they were dirty, but nooooooooooo, it was $100 of doritos and pepsi! :confused3

Please pay me to sit on my duff and eat junk!

I do have some advice through for the people who are receiving this childcare cheque... don't get all ansy to spend it just yet... you have no idea how much of that cheque is going to be taxed come April, so put it in an account, collect some interest, so you're not too surprised at the end of it all... that's just what I would do...

zookeeper
07-26-2006, 05:32 PM
Well, I finally got my cheque today. :cool1: I will gladly take it. We may not be living on poverty row, but every little bit helps.

drag n' fly
08-01-2006, 10:32 PM
Got mine. I am using it to pay my son's playschool fees which ironically are 100 bucks a month. I hope to see them follow through on tax credits for SAHM.

MouseFaninQueue
08-02-2006, 12:10 AM
Got ours in the mail the other day ...

However ....

We only got it for our eldest daughter (4yrs old) and there was no mention of our 1 year old daughter.

Have been unable to get through to anyone on the phone # ... Try again tomorrow ...

zookeeper
08-02-2006, 03:39 PM

However ....

We only got it for our eldest daughter (4yrs old) and there was no mention of our 1 year old daughter.

Have been unable to get through to anyone on the phone # ... Try again tomorrow ...

My SIL told me that they're only giving cheques for kids between 1 and 6. She was told it was because she's getting unemployment for her 6 month old. She got it for her other 2 kids, but not the baby.

zookeeper
08-02-2006, 03:41 PM
double post

MouseFaninQueue
08-03-2006, 01:33 AM
My SIL told me that they're only giving cheques for kids between 1 and 6. She was told it was because she's getting unemployment for her 6 month old. She got it for her other 2 kids, but not the baby.

Our other daughter is actually over 1 (she'll be two next February). So even if your SIL is correct that should make her BETWEEN 1 and 6.

nerdy_grrl_t
08-08-2006, 09:09 PM
There's a really good article here:
http://www.rabble.ca/columnists_full.shtml?x=51616
that details how much we'll all actually be getting from the "universal" plan.

The truth is we live in a country that can afford to support both stay at home parents AND parents who need or choose to work (a choice of an income supplement or a spot in a subsidized, high-quality daycare - now that would be a REAL choice). The conservative government is currently just playing one group of parents against the other by offering something that doesn't solve the problem at all. It's sad, really.

OnMedic
08-08-2006, 10:26 PM
My DW filled out the forms in June and told it may take a while... Nothing yet for us! GRRRR!

Sandy22
08-08-2006, 11:23 PM

However ....

I'm guessing they based their calculations on your 2004 tax return when you only had one child. Did you file your 2005 return on time? Were you getting the CCTB for your second DD?

Good luck calling them...it's always busy! :sad2:

eryn the pooh
08-09-2006, 11:53 AM
I only read the first 2 pages of posts so Im sorry if this has already been said.
What a load of junk! Im very happy for you parents who did get this money, even if you dont have daycare to worry about. I am very upset that the other half of parents who still need to pay someone to look after thier kids dont get 1111-all! I am a single mom trying to live on min wage and my "over 6" year old still goes to a sitter 25-30 hours a week. And even if I did get the check, what the heck is 100$ really gonna do in daycare? Maybe help pay for my daily parking spot!
I know nobody here can do anything about this, I just wanted someone to share my vent about our gov. with. Time for work, thanks for listening.

mousy_in_canada
08-09-2006, 12:32 PM
Does anyone know how long it takes to set up direct deposit? Should I check my mailbox or my account for this months cheque? I would call them but it seems the line is always busy.

TIA

mommytodarlings
08-09-2006, 07:59 PM
Does anyone know how long it takes to set up direct deposit? Should I check my mailbox or my account for this months cheque? I would call them but it seems the line is always busy.

TIA

It says on the form that it should be set up within 3 months, so you'll be getting at least 1 more cheque, probably 2.

HTH

GoofyArt
08-22-2006, 04:04 PM
My DW filled out the forms in June and told it may take a while... Nothing yet for us! GRRRR!
I had to fill out these forms too and mailed them in at the end of June. Today I received my cheque for July & August. Maybe you will see yours soon.

For my own personal situation, I am glad to see anything. This will help me pay for my DD's after school program with the remainder to go towards babysitting.

Art

spooks_98
08-22-2006, 04:32 PM
What Mr. Harper failed to mention is that the $100 you receive per month is taxable therefore allowing the government to collect more revenues. For many people, it will bring them into another tax bracket therefore requiring them to pay more at the end of the year. This benefit also affects what you receive in Child Tax Benefit payments as that too is directly related to your income.

Best_Vacation_EVER!
08-22-2006, 07:28 PM
I for one am glad that we have a government that is doing something to help ALL parents! Even those of us who chose to wait to have kids until we were in a stable family unit with sufficient income to pay for them. We pay a staggering amount of taxes for very little return and we would never have seen any of the "subsidized" daycare spots.

AIW
08-22-2006, 08:38 PM
jusr received my 2nd cheque today. I sent in for direct deposit, but I don't expect that to go through for another 2 months. This will be added to the lower of the household incomes.

GoofyArt
08-22-2006, 09:05 PM
What Mr. Harper failed to mention is that the $100 you receive per month is taxable therefore allowing the government to collect more revenues. For many people, it will bring them into another tax bracket therefore requiring them to pay more at the end of the year. This benefit also affects what you receive in Child Tax Benefit payments as that too is directly related to your income.
I was aware of the taxable status of the UCCB and it really won't affect me. Guess that may be one of few things that go right for me this year. Hopefully it won't mess up others' tax bracket situations too much.

A little OT -- I think the fact that Harper took a stand - right or wrong - and actually delivered on the promise is a nice change for a politician.

Edited for grammar

spooks_98
08-22-2006, 10:58 PM
A little OT -- I think the fact that Harper took a stand - right or wrong - and actually delivered on the promise is a nice change for a politician.

I agree with you there seeing as the last Liberal government did not deliver on its promise of a Universal system of childcare.

NikP
08-23-2006, 12:40 PM

As far as taxation goes... Yes it will be taxable, but if this increases your income so that you have income falling into the next tax bracket only the additional income is taxed at a higher rate.

The following are the federal taxation brackets:
15.25% on the first $36,378 of taxable income;
22% on the next $36,378 of taxable income;
26% on the next $45,529 of taxable income; and
29% of taxable income over $118,285.

For example: Your income is 36,378 per year without UCCB. And lets say that you have 1 child under 6. Now your income will increase by $1200 per year. But that does not mean that you will be taxed 22% on your entire earnings of $37, 578. You will still be taxed 15.25% on the $36, 378, and then the additional income exciding the first income bracket will then be taxed at 22% (the $1,200). :rolleyes: Is this confussing or what?? :confused3 Also good to note that everyone will pay more at the end of the year, because we have more income. So remember to save either 15.25%-29% of the monthly cheque for our government remittance next April!