PDA

View Full Version : I'm a New Cruiser!

Fairy_Tale_Bride
07-20-2006, 02:25 AM
I am hoping I can get some info. This will be my first cruise and I am confused. I'd like to know exactly how things work. :) We are planning on the 4-night cruise and I was just wondering exactly how much time is spent at each spot...Nassau & Castaway Cay? Also, how much time is there really to do the activities? I don't understand when you set up the tours, etc. Is this before you get on the ship, while on board, or once you get to the destination? My final question...exactly how do meals work off and on the ship? Are you given a schedule when to be at a specific spot, etc. I'm a newbie and lost! Hope I can get some great info. Thanks! :boat:

DrCavin
07-20-2006, 08:06 AM
At the top of the board is a link to recent navigators, those will list the arrival/departure times for the various ports. At Castaway Cay your on the island from ~9:00 am to 4:30pm

You can arrange excursions prior to sailing using DCL's website - first time cruisers can do this 75 days prior to sailing, 90 for repeaters & 105 for Category 1-3 stateroom guests. You can also book them on-board the ship, but you do chance the excursion being sold out.

Breakfast, lunch & dinner are provided on the ship. Breakfast & lunch you can either do a buffet or one of the three restruants will have open seating for the day. For dinner you are assigned a table & rotate through the 3 restruants. Off the ship your on your own for food.

After reading DIS for a few weeks, you will be an expert at this cruising stuff ;)

mom x4,grandma x4
07-20-2006, 09:05 AM
Hi,
There is a book you can buy called the Passporter which will help you a lot. Also go to DCL's web site and order the free DVD they offer. It is also a wealth of information for new cruisers.
Plus once you know your exact date, go to the cruise meets thread here and look for your date. Once you find it, post there and get aquainted with your fellow passengers. This is fun and you will learn a lot from them.
Plus continue to post your specific questions as they come up.
This will help you get agood start.
Oh, if you dont see your cruise listed, start a thread yourself and others will find you. Just read afew posts and you will see how it works.

Have fun,
mom x4,grandma x4 :wave:

Fairy_Tale_Bride
07-20-2006, 07:01 PM
GREAT! Thanks for all the helpful information! I have ordered a DVD and I hope I receive it very soon! I am so excited! We won't be cruising for another 10 months, so I'm going to be VERY prepared! :)

Deb in IA
07-20-2006, 07:06 PM
Although you will rotate through the 3 dining rooms for assigned dinners, your wait staff, consisting of a server, assistant server, and head waiter, will rotate will you, so that you will always have the same waiters for your dinners.

Deb in IA
07-20-2006, 07:08 PM
Also, when you get your reservation number, you can go to the DCL website, plug in your number, and make reservations online for excursions, spa treatments, Palo.

If you are a new cruiser, you will have a more narrow window than repeat cruisers . . . I think it is 60 days before your cruise.

Fairy_Tale_Bride
07-21-2006, 05:36 AM
Also, when you get your reservation number, you can go to the DCL website, plug in your number, and make reservations online for excursions, spa treatments, Palo.

If you are a new cruiser, you will have a more narrow window than repeat cruisers . . . I think it is 60 days before your cruise.

Thanks for the info! That'll really help out a lot. I'm one of those people that has to have every thing planned and set before the vacation...haha! :goodvibes It would drive me nuts to not know what we would be doing until we actually arrive on the ship!