PDA

View Full Version : Has Anyone Stayed At The Doubletree In Cocoa Beach?

Jpoo
07-19-2006, 11:07 PM
I found a really good rate there, and the hotel looks nice online. How is it? From what I can tell, its about 10 minutes from the cruise terminal. We are renting from Budget and I'd like to know the logistics. Thanks!! :listen:

DisTeach1
07-19-2006, 11:54 PM
Yes, we stayed there in 2003 and are staying again in November. They do have a great internet rate that is non-refundable, so I haven't booked it yet. We loved the hotel-It has a terrible pool, but great beach access. You can walk out on the beach and there are lounge chairs out there. We sat on the chairs and watched two cruise ships head out to sea.

Our rooms had an oceanview and were very clean and "beach" themed. The restaurant was good, room service was good, and the cookies were great.

GrandFloridian4
07-20-2006, 12:24 AM
We rented a room specifically to have somewhere to go to get off of the beach periodically & shower off after a full day there. Here are my impressions, positive & negative:

Our room cost $139. + tax, which was a fairly inexpensive :rolleyes: rate after calling around to about eight places. It definitely had wonderful beach access - a great boardwalk from the pool that leads out to the beach, which makes it an easy & fairly private access. I say fairly, because the lock to enter the pool area was broken, so who knows who actually "belonged there" or not. We did not eat there, so I cannot comment on the food.

Positives: beach in that area relatively uncrowded, probably because of the private access, two showers at pool access to beach to remove sand, pool to cool off in & eat our lunch at under umbrellas, friendly staff, key card required to enter pool area & beach (although, the beach gate was broken, as I previously mentioned), the area for seating above the pool area is attractive & some lounges are in the shade of trees, pleasant hotel foyer, no problem with reservations, employee who constantly cleaned up the pool area, room nicely decorated & bedding was attractive & in good shape, all balconies allow you to view the beach, although you will be looking to the side to see it, unless you have an end room, all ammenities (blo-dryer, refrig, microwave, etc.) worked in the room.

Negatives: numerous things were broken at the hotel (ex.: pool gate, large concrete chunks missing at one of the step areas into the pool & it was blocked off with pool chairs & yellow tape), very small pool (although it looks bigger in the picture on-line), no outdoor restrooms at pool area, so you always have to dry off completely to use inside facilities, our room smelled terrible & they over-used some very strong air freshener to mask the smell, which made it worse, tub was very small & not very clean (looked like mildew), our balcony was over top of two very full dumpsters (yuck!) & the entire side overlooks the parking lot, except for your view of the beach & ocean when looking to the side (this was the right side of the building-looking from the street-in case you want to know for booking purposes).

Overall, I didn't think that the negatives far out-weighed the positives & we probably would book a room there again, although I was glad we weren't staying overnight in the room because I wouldn't have been able to stand the smell all night. I can't comment on any of the other rooms, however. The beach access is the biggest sell to us, however, I would say that we probably wouldn't splurge that much again just for the beach access for 6 hrs., but we had someone with us that couldn't be on the beach all day & needed to be able to get indoors periodically. The hotel is only a few miles from the port.

I hope this helps.

pansmermaidzlagoon
07-20-2006, 10:51 AM
we were considering the Doubletree and the Hilton - turns out they are both the same amount of reward points - reading these comments makes me glad we went for the Hilton! If we were paying out of pocket and this was a big savings, I would do it.....but given the amount of points is the same for a room, I am a little glad we can go with the Hilton. October can't get here soon enough!!!!!

DISNEYMOMTO1
07-20-2006, 11:50 AM
We are also booked there the night before our cruise in September; I have heard good things and bad. I heard they have excellent choc. chip cookies. I also got a great online rate of $84 for the night.

Jpoo
07-20-2006, 12:03 PM
Thankyou all for the replies. The info helped. I think we will go ahead and book it! We get in to MCO 530pm the nite before the cruise. Wont make it to the hotel before 730ish anyway. Who needs the pool when you have the Ocean!! My kids wont care. I got an online rate of 71.25(standard room)-too good to pass up. We wont be there too long, anyway. Thanks again! :sunny:

lovethatdisney
07-20-2006, 01:31 PM
Its my understanding that the hotel has just completed a renovation so some of the negative comments may be resolved.

Happy Sailing!

gocar24
07-20-2006, 09:27 PM
We are booked to stay at the DoubleTree in October and have read good reports about it on tripadvisor. So hopefully it won't be too bad!

----pansmermaidzlagoon-----we are also going to be on the Magic Halloween cruise!

pansmermaidzlagoon
07-20-2006, 09:44 PM
cool! :thumbsup2

are you staying at the Double Tree before or after the cruise - we will be at the Hilton after. :sunny:

jgc
07-20-2006, 09:59 PM
Its my understanding that the hotel has just completed a renovation so some of the negative comments may be resolved.

Happy Sailing!

I think it had to be renovated. It got hammered from Hurricane Frances and Jeanne.....I know alot of hotels on the beach got renovated after those two lovely ditties....

gocar24
07-25-2006, 09:17 PM
----pansmermaidzlagoon----We are staying at the Double Tree before our cruise. Have you checked out the DIS thread for the Halloween cruise? They have some activities planned for the cruise if you are interested!

Jpoo
07-25-2006, 09:37 PM
Still havent decided. the no refund internet deal makes me a little nervous. I will wait until closer to the cruise.