PDA

View Full Version : Cozumel excursions?

MontclairBear
07-19-2006, 08:53 PM
We are booked on the Western Thanksgiving Cruise- traveling with 5 kids (ages 3 to 10). We don't want to go to the mainland of Mexico. I've been reading how devastated Cozumel is. What excursions on Cozumel are worth the time and effort? Any advise appreciated :bitelip:

Love2Cruise
07-19-2006, 09:07 PM
Paradise beach was beautiful and my kids loved it there. It was not an excusion. we did it on our own by renting a car. We were a party of 7. We rented the car, bought 3 wrist bands for my DH, DD15 and DD8 for the Water toys at the beach. Bought a Bucket of 5 beers a couple of soft drinks, and a few orders of Nachos (enough to fill all of us). At the end of the day, including the car rental, it came to $25.00 per person. We had a really great day at this beautiful beach. I would highly recommend it, especially if you have small children.

MontclairBear
07-19-2006, 10:03 PM
sounds nice, thanks

nanatink
07-20-2006, 09:36 AM
Do you drive on the same side of the road as you do in the United States? :cool1:

UMTerp
07-20-2006, 11:20 AM
You don't have to rent a car. Take a taxi! The taxi stand is a short walk from where you get off of the tenders/dock. Just walk to the left going down the street. We got a taxi for $13US each way for four people. They have a taxi stand outside of Paradise Beach with cars waiting to take you back. Very easy!
We had a very nice day at Paradise Beach too!

UMTerp

MontclairBear
07-20-2006, 11:55 AM
I found some good information regarding post-Wilma Cozumel status at the following websites:
caribbeanportreviews
cozumelmycozumel
thisiscozumel

Looks like Chankanaab has re-opened.

mattmommy
07-20-2006, 01:46 PM
I would do the DD, but not Chankanaab with little ones. You can't sit on the beach and watch them by the waters edge like cc. It's about 2 steps and then 3 feet of water. The water was a little murky with ocean grass floating all over. The Dolphins were AMAZING and they were so great with our family ages 5 - 66. I would do Paradise beach from what I've read of it.

Love2Cruise
07-20-2006, 06:50 PM
Do you drive on the same side of the road as you do in the United States? :cool1:

Yes, just like here in the states. We were going to take a taxi, but bargained with the car rental guy, until the price to rent was the same as the taxi ride would have cost. We had 7 people in our party.

disneyfan551
06-01-2007, 11:36 AM
I would do the DD, but not Chankanaab with little ones. You can't sit on the beach and watch them by the waters edge like cc. It's about 2 steps and then 3 feet of water. The water was a little murky with ocean grass floating all over. The Dolphins were AMAZING and they were so great with our family ages 5 - 66. I would do Paradise beach from what I've read of it.

Have you done the DD? We will have 3-6yo's in our group, and are wondering if it's worth the time & money. My main concern is that I've read elsewhere that the beach is not suitable for kids swimming. If you've done the DD, I'd love to know if it's feasible to do the DD early in the am, and then head to another beach for the rest of the day, where the kids can safely swim & play?

Thanks for any help!! :)

mattmommy
06-01-2007, 12:18 PM
Our group had 5, 6, 6 and a 9 yo and the oldest was my dad at 66. Wear water shoes because the grate is hard on the feet. EVERYBODY wears life jackets and the DD was wonderful. Chankanaab was sort of scary because of the big dropoff.

I would do the dd early and then go back and enjoy the pool on the ship. CC can be your big beach day.

disneyfan551
06-01-2007, 12:38 PM
Thanks for the info!! I know my dd would LOVE this excursion! I was just hoping for at least 1/2 a beach day too!!

cinjam
06-01-2007, 02:00 PM
We did DD w/DS6 this past February & it was awesome. One of the highlights of the trip. My other DS was just a few days she of his 3rd birthday & could not participate so he & I were observers.

We then went & got lunch & sat on the beach. DH went snorkling & I built sand castles with the kids - we really had a great time!