PDA

View Full Version : Moving to the United States?

Canadisney
07-18-2006, 08:13 PM
I am trying to find information on how I would be able to move to the States as a Canadian citizen. This is something I want to do in the future, as I want to live some where mildly warm all year. Can someone tell me the process? The requirements I would need to move to the States? Has anyone experience doing this? Is it easy to do or a really long process. Can someone please help?

For some reason I try pulling it up on the net, and all I could find is trucking companies tha move stuff from Canada to the States

PanamaMike
07-18-2006, 08:19 PM
Instead of "moving to the United States" try searching "immigrating to the United States".

cabmom
07-18-2006, 08:53 PM
http://www.uscitizenship.info/?ad=adword&keyword=immigration3

CanadianPaco
07-18-2006, 08:54 PM
I was so pleased to see this posting. DH is thinking about relocating to the states - very early on with respect to planning. So thanks! :)

PrincessTrisha
07-19-2006, 07:28 AM
If you leave, make sure that you save any documentation (green card, registered alien card, etc). Canadian Old Age Security is based on the number of years you live in Canada over the age of 18 - if you have less than 42 years of residency after age 18 you are required to prove all entries/departures to and from Canada.

kelsco99
07-23-2006, 06:10 PM
I've always been interested in this for a little later in life. It looks like it is not an easy thing to accomplish. :confused3

barkley
07-25-2006, 07:23 AM
i have to ask-being a u.s. citizen and living here all my life-what appeals to canadians about living in the u.s.? for the most part housing prices are insane (esp. if you're thinking of the west coast), wages have not kept up with the cost of living (and despite what our official unemployment figures show some industries have terrible jobless rates)-and unless you retain your medical coverage in canada and can travel for all treatment health care costs are insane (even if you get a job that provides some-i know people who pay as much as $800 dollars a month for their share of employer sponsored coverage-which gets paid use it or not each month and does not include 30 or 50 dollar co-pays for medical visits, the same for alot of perscription meds you can get as over the counter in canada-and it's still a 'bargain' vs. paying cash if you're uninsured).

this is facinating to me-i know of so many u.s. citizens who dream of retireing in canada (well, moving someplace close enough to the u.s. border so they can travel for their medical needs back to their medicare covered doctors).

wee-haggis
07-25-2006, 07:47 AM
Reason to move to US (and by that I mean Florida) is WEATHER, the older you get the worse the winters. Personally I would only want to live in Orlando January, February and March. California has great weather also but is really expensive.

kelsco99
07-25-2006, 09:28 AM
Weather is basically the main reason for me too. I want to be able to experience a warmer winter. I'm not necessarily thinking of Florida or California, just somewhere warmer from Nov/Dec to Feb/March.

I'm not even sure I want to live there, I just want to have the option to try it out. :)

tone.def
07-25-2006, 10:29 AM
Reason to move to US (and by that I mean Florida) is WEATHER, the older you get the worse the winters. Personally I would only want to live in Orlando January, February and March. California has great weather also but is really expensive.

Give global warming a few more years and Ontario will be the tropics!

About why I'd want to live in the States - I work in television... The amount I make here as an editor is miniscule to what I could make in LA or NYC, sure the cost of living is high, it's insane in Toronto too. I've been sending the odd resume here and there for a couple years when I see a job posting that strikes my interest, but I'd only move for the right company, the right wages and the right location.

My brother moved to the States last year with his company. They tripled his salary. My nephews go to a private school. His home is subsidized by his company. I'd move too!

Monie
07-27-2006, 03:15 PM
http://www.uscitizenship.info/?ad=adword&keyword=immigration3

Hold on! I am a Nurse and according to this site it would be cheaper for me to just apply for the citizenship than to go through the nursing agencies. One I have my Citizenship then I could easily just write my RN test over down there!

barkley
07-27-2006, 07:56 PM
i would'nt rely too much on a web site for a company that charges to help with citizenship. while they may put basic eligibility information on their site it may not be totaly accurate (i'm retired from a u.s. government agency and encountered people who based their understanding of various program eligibility on fee and no fee websites, bsns., and 'lawyers' who either were grossly misleading or totaly unaware of actual/current program requirements).

also-if you're in a particular profession make sure and see what the particular u.s. state and town within that state you're interested in moving to requires. even government jobs that are identical state to state may have different qualifications within the same state (the job i worked in was identical whereever you did it-but in one town the offices required a college degree and in another a high school diploma-general contractors in my state can only do certain jobs up to a certain dollar amount-anything over that amount and they have to lic. and meet certain certifications-just across the border in the next state it's anything goes for general contractors).

o.k.-i understand the thing with weather i guess that would be appealing. but not knowing what public schools are like in canada, i'de have to wonder with the poor state of public schools across the u.s. if someone with kids would want to have to deal with the likelyhood that a high cost private school education is becoming the norm vs. the exception for more and more students here (no exageration-i know people in very moderate income jobs that rack up major debt so their kids can go-and it's not unusual for them to be paying out $1000 per child per month in tuition, fees, supplies...). and the parents that opt to send their kids to public can still end up paying an arm and a leg for childcare to cover the hours before/after school and all the time off for holidays and vacations. it seems that while wages would be appealing-the cost of living even in lower cost states housing wise might be a huge consideration.

Monie
07-27-2006, 08:11 PM
Raising kids definatly better in Canada. But for instance I can go to FLA and get a 3000sq ft home for about 200k in Canada/toronto that can only get you maybe a 1200 sq ft townhome!!!! And also you cant put a price on being able to wake up to the beach 10 mins away! But for family values I will be staying here!