PDA

View Full Version : anyone driving from NJ/NY to WDW?

Mrs.viv07
07-17-2006, 02:50 PM
i remember doing this with my parents when i was about 9. My son will be turning 6 in january and i was wondering if anyone had done this with a child this young? we are thinking of leaving on a wednesday afternoon to get there by thursday afternoon and then leave on the follwoing tuesday night

does this sound reasoanable? :confused3
there would be 3 people driving

mandysmom
07-17-2006, 04:23 PM
We drove down from NY in 2002 with my then DD6 and DS9. We did stop in Asheville, NC (scheduled visit) for two nights and then continued to WDW. If you have 3 drivers I think you'll be OK. My kids handled the drive down just fine and we could have kept going if we hadn't scheduled the NC visit. Hope you have a great trip.

C U AT DISNEY
07-17-2006, 04:29 PM
My wife and I drove down in Dec of 05 and we drove straight throu and will tell you not to do it that way. If I were to drive again, I would stop in NC which is halfway. My friend went with us and he stays in Fort Wilderness Campground and he brings his own Golf Cart instead of renting one there. Well needless to say after driving behind him going 60mph the whole way there it took us 20 hrs to get there. We left at 1:30 in the morning and didn't get to our hotel until 11:45 that night. Talk about a long drive.

James

byoung
07-17-2006, 07:40 PM
From NJ but I will not drive down.

stinkerbelle's mom
07-17-2006, 07:45 PM
We just drove from Baltimore to WDW in June. What I did with my 3 kids was pack them a "surprise" bag. It had juices, snacks, car games, little toys, mini fans, glow sticks, & all kinds of other fun stuff. We brought our portable DVD player & let them watch a couple movies on the way down. We didn't even bother to turn it on on the way home.

I didn't make any reservations because I didn't know where we'd stop. I wanted to leave our house at 4, but we didn't leave until 5:30-- anyway the point was for the kids to fall back asleep so we could get a several hours worth of driving under our belt before stopping for breakfast.

We drove down I95. I went to the I95 website & it listed all the states from VA thru to FL. It told me how many hours it would take to drive thru each state & some other little trivia. It also listed every exit for each state & what we could find there as far as food & lodging goes. Both times we stopped at SC to spend the night. I printed this information out & made a book. As we were ready to stop, we could just pull out the book & see what each exit offered. It even listed the places that sold the cheapest gas.

I was so proud of my kids on both drives, but they did have plenty to entertain themselves. Also at each stop I made them run around to get some exercise.

Good luck & have fun!

sherreis
07-17-2006, 08:49 PM
We just drove from Baltimore to WDW in June. What I did with my 3 kids was pack them a "surprise" bag. It had juices, snacks, car games, little toys, mini fans, glow sticks, & all kinds of other fun stuff. We brought our portable DVD player & let them watch a couple movies on the way down. We didn't even bother to turn it on on the way home.

I didn't make any reservations because I didn't know where we'd stop. I wanted to leave our house at 4, but we didn't leave until 5:30-- anyway the point was for the kids to fall back asleep so we could get a several hours worth of driving under our belt before stopping for breakfast.

We drove down I95. I went to the I95 website & it listed all the states from VA thru to FL. It told me how many hours it would take to drive thru each state & some other little trivia. It also listed every exit for each state & what we could find there as far as food & lodging goes. Both times we stopped at SC to spend the night. I printed this information out & made a book. As we were ready to stop, we could just pull out the book & see what each exit offered. It even listed the places that sold the cheapest gas.

I was so proud of my kids on both drives, but they did have plenty to entertain themselves. Also at each stop I made them run around to get some exercise.

Good luck & have fun!

Mary -

How long did it take you from Baltimore? I live in Carroll County. We plan on leaving the evening of Nov 17th right after my son's belt test for karate and getting a good 4-5 hours in before stopping. I figure it'll be as we get into North Carolina. I'm hoping to be seeing Mickey by late Saturday!

I like your idea of the surprise bags. I think I'm going to copy you on that one, OK? I didn't know 95 had a website so I'll be checking that out. What were gas prices like compared to up here?

Now, if only my fairy godmother would wave her magic wand, so we could fly :tinker:

Sherri

DISUNC
07-17-2006, 09:04 PM
i remember doing this with my parents when i was about 9. My son will be turning 6 in january and i was wondering if anyone had done this with a child this young? we are thinking of leaving on a wednesday afternoon to get there by thursday afternoon and then leave on the follwoing tuesday night

does this sound reasoanable? :confused3
there would be 3 people driving

Yup! Very doable with 3 drivers!!!!!! Depends on the child......but we had no problem.

The only thing that concerns me is if you are going in January??? Snow & Ice can slllllllllllllllllow up a Car trip big time!

Princess89
07-17-2006, 09:09 PM
We drive from NJ every year. Last year with a 1 year old and a 9 year old. Only 2 drivers. We leave at night, I will not leave at any other time. I for the most part drive right into FL, then DH is awake enough to finish the drive, not like there is much, but he does put in a full days work the day we leave. We leave between 7 and 9, and we hit the beginning of FL by 7 or 8 in the morning, since check in is so late we take our time, get out of the car have breakfast let the kids run around somewhere. Definitely can be done, especially with 3 drivers.

java
07-17-2006, 09:18 PM
We just got back from a drive down....We drove down leaving at 4 am and making it to Georgia that first night around 6. We have 4 kids..12,8,3,1. It takes us about 16-17 hours to get there from western NJ(we don't get on 95 until DE- no turnpike for us :cheer2: )

mrsscooter
07-17-2006, 09:19 PM
We drove from Connecticut to WDW several years back with my nieces, then ages 16 and 13 and had a blast. We did not drive down straight through (did that once). We left at around 3am and drove until we hit the very end of South Carolina which was about 14 hrs which was around dinner time. At that time we stopped and got a hotel, had dinner and off to bed. Decided to "sleep inn" and we were up and out the door at 8am and hit the big WDW around 3pm.............just in time for check in!!!! We had lots of fun playing corny car games, i.e. highway bingo, "the name game" and green glass door, etc. The girls had plenty of homework to keep up with, so that took up most of the time. They brought little travel games like yahtzee, trouble, uno. thos helped alot too. We are driving down this October with my two kids, ages six and four and cant wait really. A lot of people still cant beleive that we are "brave" to drive that far with little kids, but I think it will be fun. We dont have to worry about diapers and bottles, and napping schelule, just the regular potty stops. We to just bought a dvd player for the car and some of those hand held video games that you plug into the tv, and I have already been collecting bags of little doo dads whatcha call-its to make up "travel fun packs". Now we are patiently waiting until October 7 to leave!!!!!

stinkerbelle's mom
07-17-2006, 09:27 PM
Mary -

How long did it take you from Baltimore? I live in Carroll County. We plan on leaving the evening of Nov 17th right after my son's belt test for karate and getting a good 4-5 hours in before stopping. I figure it'll be as we get into North Carolina. I'm hoping to be seeing Mickey by late Saturday!

I really can't give you a definite time because its all in how long you spend at a rest stop. We basically stopped at the first rest area in every state then tried to drive right on through. It usually took about 3 hrs to get through every state. However at the rest stops we'd go potty then go in & look around at the visitor areas & gathered pamphlets & stuff. Here's the link to what I used for I95 (duh, no wonder it was so familiar-lol). http://www.wdwinfo.com/transportation/Driving_to_florida.htm Just pull up every state. Also try to find one for 4, that's the highway into WDW & its long. Word of warning, once you get in FL you still have another 3 or so hrs to go. For us VA & FL were the worst driving states the rest was really nice.

I would definitly print out all the info for each states, it was so cool to be able to know where we wanted to stop when we were ready. Alot of people talk about driving right on through, but it was so nice to stop about 4:30 & just rest for the evening. The kids went swimming at the hotel pool & were calm for the next days trip.

I like your idea of the surprise bags. I think I'm going to copy you on that one, OK?

As far as the bags & stuff go, feel free to use that, I got all those ideas from these boards too. :disrocks:

I didn't know 95 had a website so I'll be checking that out. What were gas prices like compared to up here?

Now, if only my fairy godmother would wave her magic wand, so we could fly :tinker:

Sherri

VA, SC, & GA are cheaper than MD & NC. At exit 3 in GA we got gas for $2.67 a gallon compared to our $2.99 at the time.

Have a great trip! :woohoo:

PA Princess
07-17-2006, 09:35 PM
We live in NE PA and we have done the drive to FL several times with our kids (well, the older 3 anyway...not yet with the 1 year old). My kids actually like the drive and miss the drive when we fly - wacky kids! We always leave at night about 7 pm and drive through the night. We have tried stopping in NC or SC, but we are all so anxious to get to WDW that we would rather drive straight through. Driving through the night means less traffic (especially around DC) and sleeping kids, so it works well for us. We do stop for the night half way on the return trip. You may be pleasantly surprised how well your 6 year old handles the drive. I remember a drive we did with our 6, 5, and 1 year olds. The two oldest had all of these toys and entertainment items, but they literally entertained themselves down and back with 2 stuffed animals LOL For our next trip in September we are taking the auto train, but I am sure we will drive again some time in the future.

NJOYURLIFE
07-17-2006, 09:46 PM
We have frequently done the drive from NE PA also. The first time we did it, my youngest was 3. We were all prepared with our brand new portable DVD player. Of course we hadn't tested it out and the darn thing didn't work. So we did the trip without it. We do the trip in 2 days stopping somewhere in NC or SC depending on how far we get. And no matter how hard we try we rarely get on the road before 11:00 on our first day. We stop when we need to and don't "push" ourselves. While I do some of the driving, I will say that my husband does do way more than me, so 3 drivers would be heaven.

We are trying Autotrain for the first time in 2 weeks which should be different. We are going down before my husband plus during the summer they usually run a deal where buy adult get 2 kids free.

stinkerbelle's mom
07-17-2006, 10:04 PM
Please let me know how you all like the auto train. We thought about doing that next time too. It's about the same price as flying. I thought the kids might like it. Also, I like the idea about being able to bring as much stuff as we wanted.

The only drawbacks that I have read about it is that you have to get to the station 2 hrs before hand so they can load all the cars up. There's nothing around so if you don't bring something to do you'll be totally bored until you get on the train. :bored: Same thing for when you get off you have to wait 2 hrs for everything to come off.

Hope you both enjoy it.

LiLIrishChick63
07-18-2006, 12:28 AM
my DF's uncle does this every other year and they have an adopted son who has Cerebral Palsy(sorry if i spelt it wrong, i'm running on 2 hours of sleep here!) and he's perfectly fine with it. and they also bring a grandkid or two with them who are all under the age of 10 and they're fine with it as well. just make sure to take bathroom and food breaks! keep him occupied in the car with games or dvds and he should be fine.

sherreis
07-18-2006, 08:10 AM
We drove to Atlanta from Baltimore last year and it went well with our 2 boys. We took the middle seat out of the van and moved the back seat up so that the boys would have more room between them and it worked great. We had them pack a plastic tote with what toys they wanted in the car and it was between them. Every once in awhile I would surprise them with something new that I brought along from home as well. We bought the car DVD player for the trip and it was wonderful. I surpised them with some new movies they had never seen before so that kept them busy. If you're driving with kids, it really pays off to do part of the trip while they will be sleeping. We left for Atlanta about 5 AM (I still can't believe we left on time) and they slept for the first 3 hrs of the trip so that our first stop was breakfast. They dozed off later in the day. The way home we drove through the night and it was really nice not having any fighting coming from the back...

I think I'm going to start buying things for their bags now and buy something every few weeks so I'm not waiting till the last minute.

Also, there are a lot of websites that give you games to play in the car with children. We did some of them as well.
Sherri

Dorisk3
07-18-2006, 10:45 AM
We drove down from NJ last year with a 5 year old and a 2 year old and I'd never do it again. It took us about 18 hours, straight down on the way there and stopped overnight on the way back (left in the afternoon). If you've never done it before, it sounds like an adventure and everyone here will tell you that your kids will color or watch movies the whole way and you can give them a surprise every hour to keep them entertained. 8 hours into it my kids were more than sick of watching movies, couldn't care less about any surprises or treats and its pretty uncomfortable to sleep in a car. Maybe its just my kids, but they didn't sleep practically the whole way.

If a person does it to save money, you need to think of what all those little treats/entertainment in the car add up to , gas, food, possible hotel. By the time you factor that in, a person would be better off looking for a good Southwest or JetBlue sale price. Also, by the time you get there the car is trashed. The other thing to think of is when you arrive in the afternoon you are bone exhausted because you've just come through an ordeal. And then worse yet is knowing you have to do it all over again 5 days later.

Good luck in your decision- I'm sorry I sounded like a downer- I just wanted to voice an opinion that hopefully was constructive in your decision. We're flying this time, and I will say I'm a little nervous not having flown in a few years- but anything is better than the endless monotony of being in a car for almost a full day.

jimmalru80
07-18-2006, 06:57 PM
We're from NJ and have made nine previous trips, but have never driven down to WDW. The time it takes to drive would really cut down on our time to vacation there. MY BIL goes several times a year and has no problem with driving, so it can be done with no major inconvenience. We drive to AC Airport, (about 40 minutes) and we are in Orlando in less than two hours. Flying works for us, but driving is a viable option and it works. Either way, good luck with your trip.

sticker231
07-18-2006, 09:24 PM
We are form Jersey and I don't think we will be driving in the near future. The kids are too small(5/4/3). I'm sure they would drive me nuts the entire jurney. They all fly well so that is what we will be doing for a while. Thinking about trying it one day, but not in the near future. We book far enough in advance that the flight is pretty cheap.

RyansMommy
07-18-2006, 09:41 PM
We'll be driving down in November from Queens, NY. Our son will be almost 3 1/2 by then. Since my husband has a fear of flying, this will be the only way to go. My parents had gone down by train a few years ago and strongly advised us against it. We plan to leave around 4 am and then stop in South Carolina to sleep. We will split the driving. I'm a little nervous about doing it but hey whatever it takes, I want to go!!

Good luck with whatever you decide!

sherreis
07-19-2006, 08:50 AM
That is how I'm looking at it as well - I want to go this year and Thanksgiving time is the only time that I wouldn't need to take a lot of vacation time from work - only 3 days. I would much prefer to fly to not spend all that time in a car and wasting precious vacation time. Flying would cost us approx $1200 because we're going over Thanksgiving week. The flight down would be fine. It's the flight back that'll put us over the edge. I would never have thought that the Saturday of Thanksgiving weekend would be so expensive to fly.

--Sherri

WDWstu
07-19-2006, 10:13 AM
We drive down from NJ every year. Started when my daughter was 2. As a matter of fact, before Disney we drove down to South Carolina when she was 1. And now we are planning our second trip to Disney this year so we will be driving down for a second time this year with her!

Here's what we do. I get home from work around 6 and go lay down in bed. Try to sleep for a couple of hours. The SUV was packed the night before. I wake up around 9, pack the family in the truck and go. I find this to be a great strategy because then my daughter goes right to sleep and sleeps for the first half of the trip. Driving over night there is very little traffic so you get off to a good start. Plus since everyone sleeps you don't need to make a lot of stops. By the time we hit North Carolina, the sun is just starting to come up. I wake my wife up, and she takes the wheel. I sleep for a couple of hours, get nice and refreshed. Wake up get and we stop for breakfast. I take the drivers seat as we enter South Carolina and drive the rest of the way through. Stopping for lunch of course along the way. We end up in Disney around 3 or 4 pm.

This has worked great for us! Get there just in time to check in, unpack, eat dinner and relax by the pool for the evening. Get a good night sleep and hit the parks first thing in the morning.

I think its helps so much to start when we do. Because it doesn't give my daughter a lot of time to get bored in the car. She wakes up the next day down in the carolinas and half way there. At that point she is so excited that we are getting close that she is pretty well behaved.

Good luck and have fun!

briar*rose
07-19-2006, 10:31 AM
Many people have already responded but I thought I'd throw in my two cents...I'm 24 years old and from Long Island...I have 5 younger brothers and sisters and I've done the trip back and fourth to Disney/Florida about 17 times (probably more).

With children, it was usually my parents (who drove), myself, my 2 sisters and 3 brothers all stuffed in a Caravan. Like most people, my parents would leave in the middle of the night (aprox. 3am) and have lots of stuff for us to do when we awoke (like Mad Libs, or Car/Memory Games, Walkmans, snacks, books to read, and we actually had a mini-tv w/ VCR that we'd plug in and sit on my lap, that was, of course before DVD's). We always drove straight-thru. My dad was one of those sterotypical people who make us "hold it" until we needed gas, and who only stopped when my mom nagged him. They are my fondest memories of my childhood/early teens with my family. We'd have silly sing alongs and just generally spend alot of time together (like we had a choice ;) ). The little one's (and my lazy sister) would sleep thru most of the ride. It usually took us about 16-20 hours, depending on traffic. I loved every minute of being squished in that van.

Now that I am older I have continued this "tradition" of driving to Disney with my own "family" (which as of right now consists of myself and my BF of 5-1/2 years). We have driven down to Disney the past two years and plan to drive down to Disney with two friends in late September. It's an intergral part of my Disney Trips now, I couldn't think of Disney without thinking of the trip there. However, since I travel without children (for now) I have modified my parents trip just a little. We now leave at Midnight. This allows us to skip over traffic in NYC, NJ and Washington D.C./Virginia (which tends to be the worst). By 8am we are aprox. halfway thru Virginia. We usually only stop for meals and gas and bathroom (because I'm so used to the drive, I can practicly do it myself) and we arrive to check-in at about 6pm. Being the person that I am....I'm showered and at the Disney Marketplace eating dinner by 8:30pm. :) Normally we have two drivers....This year we'll have 4!!

Now, I do understand that not many people are accustomed to driving that much, and I don't particularly recommend it to anyone, HOWEVER I think the point I am trying to make is the lasting memories driving with my family and now, with friends, etc. are so important to me, and I guess you could interpet it from there....

:)

yaksack
07-19-2006, 11:34 AM
This will be our third time driving down. We will leave Sussex County NJ 7pm on 11/3 and arrive about 12noon in WDW on 11/4. We drive straight through and have no problems. In the past it was my wife, DD4 and myself. This year it will my wife, DD6, DD1 and myself. I am a little concerned because DD1 can't sit still too long. In the past DD6 fell asleep by 9pm and didn't wake up until 7am. We bought a portable TV that plugs into the car, which has a VCR in it. That kept her busy.

We condsidered flying but tickets cost about $600 each round trip on Jet Blue.
I estimated in would cost about $500 to drive down and back.

Good luck.

sherreis
07-19-2006, 12:45 PM
Briar Rose -

Thanks for what you wrote about your fond memories of travelling with your family. I was trying to explain something like that to DH yesterday about why I feel this is the time to take our boys for their first trip to DW. I want them looking back on their childhood someday and remembering great family times.

--Sherri

Scot-n-Michelle
07-19-2006, 12:55 PM
We live right outside of Cleveland, Ohio and we will be driving down to WDW for the second time. We purchased a dvd player for our two children (ages 2 and 4) and they were both excellent the whole time. We made sure we stopped often enough. We stopped right outside of Georgia at a rest stop for a few hours and then we we're back on the road. All together it took about 21 hours.

stinkerbelle's mom
07-19-2006, 01:02 PM
We'll be driving down in November from Queens, NY. Our son will be almost 3 1/2 by then. Since my husband has a fear of flying, this will be the only way to go. My parents had gone down by train a few years ago and strongly advised us against it. We plan to leave around 4 am and then stop in South Carolina to sleep. We will split the driving. I'm a little nervous about doing it but hey whatever it takes, I want to go!!

Good luck with whatever you decide!

What kind of things did your parents say about the train. I was thinking about trying that.

Enjoy your trip. Hope the driving goes easy for you, we didn't have trouble with our trip.

BeckWhy
07-19-2006, 01:05 PM
Oy! I remember these days. I can't really remember what the youngest was our first drive down, but probably pretty young. When was the castle a cake? Well take that and subract it from 18 and that's how old my little brother was. Maybe he was about 8? I'm not sure.

Anyways, we drove from WNY which is a little farther. My mom and dad would drive and it would be straight down, no stopping except to get gas, food, or go to the bathroom. Well, we would stop when my dad needed to sleep and my mom wasn't rested enough to drive. Anyways, my dad used to say he liked leaving at night, so we would sleep through the first leg of the trip and it would seem like it would go by faster.

I think if you are planning on driving straight down, and the 6 year old is in a booster seat or something, it might be uncomfortable for him (well he might like it hehe).

RyansMommy
07-20-2006, 04:15 PM
What kind of things did your parents say about the train. I was thinking about trying that.

They said the beds/rooms were way too cramped/tiny, the food was expensive, they had to switch trains in washington dc area so it was a bit of a pain, and amtrak will overbook and may not have dining room service if they need the room for passengers.

Hopefully things have changed over time, they made this trip back in '96.

HTH

stinkerbelle's mom
07-20-2006, 07:26 PM
They said the beds/rooms were way too cramped/tiny, the food was expensive, they had to switch trains in washington dc area so it was a bit of a pain, and amtrak will overbook and may not have dining room service if they need the room for passengers.

Hopefully things have changed over time, they made this trip back in '96.

HTH

Gosh that switching trains must have drove them crazy. We'd have to reserve 2 rooms, I can't remember if it holds 4 or 5, but not 6. We wouldn't have to switch trains though. We'd have to drive to the DC area & could catch a train straight to FL, but its supposed to still take 16 hrs. I'm not sure if that counts the loading & unloading times. I tell you for the price of the train we might as well fly. We'll probably still make the drive for a while.Cost isn't the issue as much as there's too many of us & it creates too much confusion. Especially with my mom so its better to drive for us.

DznyLvr2005
07-20-2006, 07:32 PM
We drove from NJ to DW last year. Left at about 9am, got to Jacksonville around 10pm. Stayed somewhere there, so the next day we only had a few hours to go!
But I've done this driving thing TONS of times when I was little. We used to leave at 4am.. YES 4am! My dad used to stop in South Carolina and sometimes GA. It's not a bad drive going, but on the way back is the most depressing carload ever!!
That's why this year we're flying!

Kellyscrapbooks
07-20-2006, 07:42 PM
We drove down in April and we drove straight through on the way down and stopped half way on the way back. I would definatly do it again. The kids were fantastic (8 & 4 at the time) and they couldn't have been better behaved. I whined more than they did! LOL
Ideally it takes 20 hours from my door to Mickey's, but due to unexpected delays it took 25 hour to do it straight through and that was just too much. Next time we will break it in half each way and it will be much better.
It cost me $330 in gas and hotels to do it that way, it was AWESOME and I had my car for all the other things we wanted to do in and around Orlando.

disneymom06
07-20-2006, 09:49 PM
We have four children, started driving down when the youngest was just one year and the oldest was nine years old. We drive down from Westchester, NY. Our best time was 18 hrs and our worst was 25 hours.

We both split driving and stop at the rest areas to stretch our legs and give the children a chance to burn up some energy. We haven't yet stayed over in a hotel , although we always say we are going to stop but because the driving at night was always so productive and The children were asleep we kept on driving. DH naps first for a few hours and then we switch places. You must nap for it to work and you have to like driving.

The drive down is exciting, but the drive home is tough. You do get to be flexible with your departure time,(something that we need due to work) and you wind up with your car at Disney. It does give you another option.

The DVD system is a must. It does make the time tick by quickly and keeps everyone occupied. Each child picks a movie which takes alot of time. Each child packs their own bag of toys to keep them busy if they need. You must make it perfectly clear that you will not arrive at Disney until tomorrow afternoon.

It is a choice. For us it is much cheaper than flying and we have flexiblity. We've done the drive many times, during Christmas week, Easter week and in the summer, one summer directly in Hurricane Charley. This summer we are doing it again. DH loves to drive. It fits for us. Hope this helps, Good Luck.

badblackpug
07-21-2006, 12:12 AM
I live in NJ and you couldn't PAY me to drive!! I am about 15 mins outside of Philadelphia and it is a 18 hour (straight through) drive. I found excellent airfare out of Philadelphia on Expedia. With the price of gas the way it is it will be cheaper to fly... :thumbsup2

Princess89
07-21-2006, 09:21 AM
double post oops

Princess89
07-21-2006, 09:24 AM
I don't know how the cost of flying is cheaper. Yes, definitely more convienent. 2 hrs vs however many to get there. Last year, we took a Grand Am down with us and it cost both ways less than 200. That car was great on gas. This year we are taking my gas guzzling bus lol. Actually its a Suburban, but its a gas guzzler and so easy with the children. The cost to fill it will be 100, and I will have to fill it approximately 1 and a half times each way. So at a cost of 150+150=300 Round trip for my gas guzzler, it was still cheaper than airfare for my family of 4. This year I do need a car being that we are staying at our timeshare for a week. I do have other cars to take with me, but the gas guzzling bus is more for comfort. I still can take the Grand Am we took last year, but the bus is much more comfortable. Either way, unless airfare was 100 roundtrip for 1 person its not cheaper at all. I should also mention, that the children, they sleep 95%of the way in the car, they are awake for the drive in FL. We leave at night at DD's bed time. She still a toddler, so at bedtime she is always exhausted. DS 10 on the other hand is awake for a good portion, but plays his Playstation or watches TV. :happytv: Then falls asleep around 1 am.

DH insisted on driving again this year, I tried to argue the gas prices to him thinking the same thing. I gathered airfare for a bunch of airlines, and he broke down the gas prices to 3.50 per gallon and they aren't even that high yet. DH still won that arguement. Either way, whichever car we take, he still won the arguement.

sticker231
07-21-2006, 09:44 PM
our tickets were $180 round trip because we booked so far in advance. I don't have the flexibility with work, so I need all the extra time we can get. I wouldn't mind driving, but it is more convenient to fly.

yaksack
07-22-2006, 07:23 AM
our tickets were $180 round trip because we booked so far in advance. I don't have the flexibility with work, so I need all the extra time we can get. I wouldn't mind driving, but it is more convenient to fly.

When will you WDW and which airline?

We are going from 11/4-11/11. I understand this is a big travel time due to the teacher's convention.

sticker231
07-22-2006, 08:01 AM
We are going in October and booked Jetblue in April after our last trip, prices have gone up since. If you plan far enough in advance, the ticket prices are great.

yaksack
07-22-2006, 10:25 AM
We are going in October and booked Jetblue in April after our last trip, prices have gone up since. If you plan far enough in advance, the ticket prices are great.

I looked for tickets with Jetblue back in February and they were ok, but now for four tickets from Newark to Orlando we are looking at $2000.
I think we are driving.

steffali
07-22-2006, 10:30 AM
We drive every time due to the "fear of flying" :crazy:
We leave in the middle of the night and drive straight through it isn't that bad. We have done the auto train and my hubby hated it, he felt that we could have gotten there a lot faster by driving ( he was right)
I love having our car there at WDW plus we can load the van up with a lot more stuff than if we flew. :banana: