PDA

View Full Version : fireworks help was = I'm not going to be able to get the new room

cat_herder
07-14-2006, 07:48 PM
I'm not going to be able to get the new room, I'm already in tears from only playing firework twice tonight and I still couldn't get pass 80,000 points. The thought of continuing to play this hateful game just fills me with such anxiety that I just start shaking so bad. I have 2 cats sitting next to me right now, meowing because they canít figure out what is wrong with me.

AmberDaze
07-14-2006, 07:59 PM
Aww cat -- I am so sorry. :( I would play fireworks for you if I could. :)

PopStar
07-14-2006, 08:02 PM
I'm not going to be able to get the new room, I'm already in tears from only playing firework twice tonight and I still couldn't get pass 80,000 points. The thought of continuing to play this hateful game just fills me with such anxiety that I just start shaking so bad. I have 2 cats sitting next to me right now, meowing because they canít figure out what is wrong with me.

same here :sad1:

Fairy Dust
07-14-2006, 08:05 PM
You are not alone. No new room for me either the way things are going.

I had to trade for the pirate hat as I could not get the required firework score a few weeks ago. I can usually just get that score but I am being booted out in the second level each time as I am only an average player.

Why on earth are they making these quests so hard now? They are not including catching ghosts now, but have increased the firework score. It used to be 55,000. Easy I know, but at least it was fun!

Listen VMK - this is NOT fun anymore. :furious:

bevgray
07-14-2006, 08:05 PM
Hi Cat, I would wait a couple of days. Right now, the "heavy hitters" are out in force so that players who can't get that high a score are not advancing. Often, I have found that late Saturday morning, Sunday morning can be good times to play. Evenings, particularly Friday and Saturday nights always seem tougher to me. Good luck and try not to fret. It may be that it will be easier to get a bit higher after a day or two when everyone else isn't trying to get the room.

tolkien7
07-14-2006, 08:13 PM
I wish there was some way we could play for each other! :( Sorry, Cat.

Foamy666
07-14-2006, 08:24 PM
:sad: I can't even get 50,000 points myself.. Let alone 150,000.. I stink at that game. Why are they making these quests hard? I don't know. But I know I don't like it. I really wanted blizzard beach.. Typhoon lagoon stinks.

FrontierNatasha
07-14-2006, 09:01 PM
im just not going to even try to get that score im on that task right now but im not even trying i might try later. it took me hours just to get the score for the pirate hat so i give up on these stinking quests!! what is vmk trying to do to us??!! we should all send them a message and they might listen to us. i am about to send one right now.

DCA_MillionaireFreak
07-14-2006, 09:09 PM
Has anyone pointed out to VMK that these Fireworks games are unreasonable?

AllisonY2K
07-14-2006, 09:13 PM
I would have completed this lovely quest if the Fireworks game glitch didn't attack and knock 50,000 points off everyone's score towards the end of level 4. that was a bit shocking to see one score on your screen and a much lower score on the list that appears at the end of each round. :sad2:

PoohBear
07-14-2006, 09:38 PM
Cat,
I am so sorry. I used to dread fireworks, it made me so upset too. But then somewhere along the line I got the hang of it. I don't know if this helps but you have to kind of memorize the order of the colors. I really wish I could just do it for you. But don't give up hope.

I have stayed away from fireworks today so I don't knock anyone off, maybe more of us who are good at it could do the same. Hopefully it will help people like Cat have a fighting chance.

Don't give up, take a breather when you need it and remember we are pulling for you. I'm sending lots of pixie dust your way. Go Cat Go :cheer2:

Kasiks
07-14-2006, 09:59 PM
The fireworks game is a nice little game but 15000 I think is a little bit high for the quest. But keep playing and you will do it. I remember the first time I played that game my score was low too ...

Lauralee
07-14-2006, 11:12 PM
I did the quest today for two characters, and the fireworks game was the "buggiest" I've ever seen it. At one point, the game took away 15,000 points from one of my games. I think what we're seeing is even the better fireworks players are having to try over and over and over again, so the people who score a little less are having a harder time staying in the game. Just my two cents. Maybe give it a couple of days to calm down.

Cindya_
07-14-2006, 11:35 PM
Sorry Cat_Herder,

If there is anything I could do to help you with fireworks, let me know.
Didn't your hubby help you out last week with the pirate game? Maybe he could try, it couldn't hurt!!

Cindya_

Makeminemusic
07-14-2006, 11:46 PM
I feel your pain Cat. I am unable to get past 100,000 myself. I am not even going to start this quest. Oh well, tomorrow is another day! :grouphug:

nmudisneyfan
07-14-2006, 11:50 PM
Cat,
I am so sorry. I used to dread fireworks, it made me so upset too. But then somewhere along the line I got the hang of it. I don't know if this helps but you have to kind of memorize the order of the colors. I really wish I could just do it for you. But don't give up hope.

I have stayed away from fireworks today so I don't knock anyone off, maybe more of us who are good at it could do the same. Hopefully it will help people like Cat have a fighting chance.

Don't give up, take a breather when you need it and remember we are pulling for you. I'm sending lots of pixie dust your way. Go Cat Go :cheer2:

I second the memorizing the order of the colors as well.
Because I've played the first two levels so many times, now I know where the firework will be and what color it is. Work on trying to do that. Once you know when and where firework will be, you can have your mouse ready to click.
When I find myself getting upset over a game of fireworks, I get up and leave the computer. I am not one to get extremely upset over a game, because well, it is just a game.

girlwithattitude
07-14-2006, 11:51 PM
omg i tried so many times and all of those times i was sooooo close only like many 1 or 2 thousand away... and keep getting booted because i couldn't get that stupid 1 or 2 thousand more...i hate this game ahhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

birdman94
07-14-2006, 11:52 PM
i was playing fireworks today and a firework i poped already stayied i kept pressing it and it kept giving me 1000 points but when the screen came up it was lower then it was and it stayed like that for the whole game

sharkm
07-15-2006, 01:05 AM
I agree that the total points they are wanting you to get are too high..I am
just starting to hit in the 40's now...

I think when it is a "quest" they should not want such high scores

:dumbo: :dumbo: :dumbo:

girlwithattitude
07-15-2006, 05:21 PM
Yay I finally got past the fireworks part!!! I guess all the good ppl finished the quest yesterday...

PrincessOp
07-15-2006, 05:36 PM
Here is some advice that really helped me get better at fireworks:

First of all, don't worry about getting the "flawless" right away. Your first goal is to get them ALL. Once you have that down, then we work on timing. But, I can't stress this enough, first focus on getting them all, then getting them correctly. You will eventually memorize the order without even trying.

Second, don't feel you have to be right on the firework when you click. You absolutely don't. You can be right next to it, on top of it, below it, etc... as long as you are touching it even a teeny tiny bit, your click will detonate it. I swear, sometimes I'm not even touching it at all and it registers. Good luck, everybody, hope this helps someone! :goodvibes

caribbound
07-15-2006, 07:16 PM
You only played two games Cat? I played at least ten games yesterday, and about four today before I got enough, maybe the luck of a couple people dcing above me. :rotfl: I actually came in third place I couldn't believe it and I'm sure it was a score under 200,000 but we were so excited we forgot to look! Why don't they put your score in the winning message I'd like to know.

Anyway...my solution I came up with last night in my frustration, is to make a separate lobby for beginners or questers or whatever you want to label it. This lobby wouldn't give out credits or pins no matter how high the score or what place you come in, but could work the same way eliminating as the game progresses, or to be extra nice, not eliminating anyone but maybe just playing four levels, I don't know. I think the pros would stay out of that lobby because they don't have the incentive of credits or pins/rooms to be won. At least those of us who have a hard time fighting the pros to stay in the game past stage two or three, whatever the case may be, would have a shot at finishing the tougher quests.

I think it's good to throw in a tough quest now and then or nothing would be considered extra rare, I'd think. I'm fairly new so won't give more on that though. Typhoon Lagoon was easy so at least kids (and adults) could be happy to have the first room even if not this one. DS called his uncle to play fireworks so he could finish the quest. We'll see what happens with the girls since their Uncle will be afk for a week and I don't seem to be having much luck. :badpc:

MomsGoneGoofy
07-15-2006, 07:58 PM
Hi Cat,

Sorry you are having such a hard time with this quest and wish I could help.

Maybe you should go out and do some shopping and let your husband try - LOL - it worked for the the pirate ship game.

I know it is fustrating but keep trying.

Good Luck!

cat_herder
07-15-2006, 09:05 PM
Here is a very big hug to each and every one of you. Thank you for supporting me when I need it.

I just feel like the fool of world. I just dread fireworks so much I was just overcome by emotion.

I've played fireworks for practice and played it for all but one of the quests. It doesn't really bother that it gives out the most credits and other people can really rank up the credits. It doesn't bother me that it gives out 2 prize crates for every one Haunted Mansion gives out, but it just kills me that you HAVE to collect such a high score for the quests. I really think you should be given a "choice of mini games" to pass the task. That way it is mostly fair for everyone. Most people are good or ok at one of the games.

As suggested, my darling husband did offer to try the fireworks for me. He had never played it before so I walked him through a couple of games and we discussed that he wouldn't win it right off the bat, and he would just practice for couple of days and maybe be able to pass it in later this weekend.

He got on this morning for a couple of hours and says that he did indeed get 150,000 at least 2 times and it didn't register with the quest that he passed. I checked it and the quest is still running on my character so I don't know what happened. He is going to try again on Sunday morning for a little while. Like Blue_tink said maybe by Monday or Tuesday it will be easier.

I didn't really care for the Typhoon Lagoon room so much, I didn't think it was all that attractive but I really liked the Blizzard Beach one (I love snow) LOL

milkabum
07-15-2006, 09:43 PM
LOL Cat no wonder. You don't have to shovel it every morning through the winter months :lmao: Good luck and never give up! Just click your heels twice and say "There's no place like Blizzard Beach".

Pixie Dusted
07-15-2006, 10:00 PM
Sorry to hear so many are having a hard time with this quest. I'm one of the lucky ones that have learned to play fireworks well, so no problem here but...I spent over 2 hours trying to get the Typhoon Lagoon Room. I do now and always will stink are the Pirates and Haunted Mansion games. :badpc:

Best advice....keep trying, it's not as hard as it seems. Eventually you will be able to anticipate when and where the next firework will appear. There are few variations on each, but they repeat frequently. Definately try to get each one even if its not flawless or even the right shape.

Good Luck!! :cheer2:

Lauralee
07-15-2006, 10:59 PM
Cat, here's a thought on what might have happened when your hubby played fireworks for you. I've done it plenty of times myself too, but maybe he did not press the Q button to "activate" the quest task before he started playing fireworks?

Dashzap
07-15-2006, 11:15 PM
I am not very good at fireworks, but I have gotten three Blizzard Beach rooms (one for me, one for each of my sons).

The best thing I figured out was don't continue in the game after the first round if you don't have at least 37,000 and are at least about 7 or 8 in rank. If you aren't, quit fireworks and try again. It is just luck who you are up against what your rank is.

Good luck!

HappyBoy
07-16-2006, 01:01 AM
I tried all day too and just can't do it - computer too slow and I get kicked at the end of level three or two. I feel for you cat and am not happy about the quest myself. :sad2:

Chedstro
07-16-2006, 01:19 AM
I agree with DashZap.just sign out and try with a different group. You will eventually end up with a bunch of peeps you can stay with in the top 10, That seems to be the important thing. :rotfl2:

mannyd
07-16-2006, 04:18 AM
just keep practicing, you also might get lucky and be in a group of low scorers so you can get all the way to level 5, i got 200,000 last night to finally get blizzard beach, i was like woohoo! fireworks can be frustrating at times, but it is just a game,

cat_herder
07-16-2006, 07:36 AM
Sorry to hear so many are having a hard time with this quest. I'm one of the lucky ones that have learned to play fireworks well, so no problem here but...I spent over 2 hours trying to get the Typhoon Lagoon Room. I do now and always will stink are the Pirates and Haunted Mansion games. :badpc:

Best advice....keep trying, it's not as hard as it seems. Eventually you will be able to anticipate when and where the next firework will appear. There are few variations on each, but they repeat frequently. Definately try to get each one even if its not flawless or even the right shape.

Good Luck!! :cheer2:

To tell the truth it not spotting the fireworks, it's working the keyboard. I'm not fast enough with my hands. Just typing takes me forever. I have to go back and correct every post like 2-3-4 times and I still end up hitting the wrong keys, and it's the same in fireworks. I can get through the first level fairly well when I'm just not being overwhelmed by failure, but as they add more and more icons to choose from I'm just not fast enough to hit the correct key and get the correct icon up in time. Any game that involves speed is going to kill me. It one of the reasons I played very few video games in the 1970s, none at all in 1980s & 1990s, and few online games in the 2000. I like puzzle games the best and old fashioned sit down together board games.

PrincessOp
07-16-2006, 11:03 AM
Ok, let me ask you this: are you relying on physically LOOKING at the arrow keys as you scroll through the fireworks? (or even looking at the line of firework options onscreen?) -- if so, this is a big handicap that's going to have to be overcome. I would suggest playing a couple of practice games where you're not at all concerned about score. Just practice using the arrows without looking. Once you get the feel for that, you are going to see a BIG improvement. *hugs* Good luck! :goodvibes

Sinclare
07-16-2006, 11:20 AM
Personally I find the fireworks game pretty easy as I average around 220,000 points per game. However, I wonder in amazement of those people who get upwards of 250,000 points.

Let me give you a tip that I've learned by playing repeatedly. Just as in shooting a gun, Lead your target (ie. watch the speed of the firework and it's angle then keep your target slightly in front of it.) What this allows is for you to see the little "sparkle" when it's getting ready to disappear and helps gauge when you should click for the flawless. If you keep your cursor over the target you cant see the "Sparkle" and it will disappear without you even knowing it.

cat_herder
07-16-2006, 10:36 PM
Ok, let me ask you this: are you relying on physically LOOKING at the arrow keys as you scroll through the fireworks? (or even looking at the line of firework options onscreen?) -- if so, this is a big handicap that's going to have to be overcome. I would suggest playing a couple of practice games where you're not at all concerned about score. Just practice using the arrows without looking. Once you get the feel for that, you are going to see a BIG improvement. *hugs* Good luck! :goodvibes

No, I don't look at the keys, I look at the computer screen.
I have played this game hundreds of times. I just can't get it.

cat_herder
07-16-2006, 10:37 PM
Ok, thanks to everyone for their help.
The problems has been taken of .

MiakodaWDW
07-17-2006, 07:00 PM
I just wanted to add...I don't think this has been said, and this is for anyone else having trouble (since Cat is okay now). At each level beginning, it puts your cursor on the first fireworks icon. I always move it to the middle before they start shooting up, b/c the first one that comes up is usually near the middle. If not, it's close enough to quickly move to the right or left. Memorizing the order of icons is a MUST like people said, and always know which is the last one, so you know if you have that one, you can move your cursor to the RIGHT and it will "go around" back to the first icon. It's easier when you know that you can get to the 1st purple one faster from the red planet one, by hitting the right arrow just once, for instance. Once you follow what everyone else has said about making sure you click on each firework, no matter how fast and no matter if you have the wrong icon (sometimes you get ok for wrong icon, if it's close, rather than oops), and memorize the icons and know which one is the "latest" on the right side, you will be fine.

Another tip I didn't see on here is if two fireworks of the same sort come up at the same time and they are on opposite sides on the screen: don't wait! Click one and get good or whatever, then race to focus on getting the other one. Getting a "good" on two fireworks is a better score than getting "flawless" on one, and totally missing the other! (I think so anyway, don't quote me on this: but it seems to be true).

~Mia~ <----(can get over 200,000 if I can stay in the game, never made over 250,000 or won the magic)

cuteswimgirl
07-17-2006, 07:50 PM
well think on the bright side you dont get to hear the annoying music.. :)

qruthie
07-17-2006, 10:57 PM
well think on the bright side you dont get to hear the annoying music.. :)

I turned off the music ages ago. That took care of that problem. :rotfl:

Cat, a couple of things that might help your typing speed. In the short term, you might want to try an ergonomic keyboard. I've seen some S-shaped ones and one that is hinged and looks like an inverted V. You may just be using the wrong keyboard for you. I have difficulty moving between the various keyboards we have here at home. In the long term, it might help to start playing a musical instrument. That's not much different from playing fireworks but it is different enough to take away the feeling of frustration. Over time, you should be able to develop better keyboard skills just by being confident with a musical instrument.

One thing that helped me with fireworks was some finger stretching exercises. My fingers were more relaxed when I finished and were more cooperative for fireworks.

Captain Brain
07-17-2006, 11:36 PM
Hi Cat. :)

I remember not being able to pass the first level, lol. I think that what really helped me was knowing how to type, that seemed to increase my accuracy on hitting the fireworks. I wish that I could somehow play the game for you. :(

Brain (who can always get 240K :teeth: )

MiakodaWDW
07-19-2006, 05:57 AM
Hi Cat. :)

I remember not being able to pass the first level, lol. I think that what really helped me was knowing how to type, that seemed to increase my accuracy on hitting the fireworks. I wish that I could somehow play the game for you. :(

Brain (who can always get 240K :teeth: )

I forgot to mention...when I play (I'm right handed), I turn my keyboard diagonally to the left so my left hand on the arrows is close to where my left hand naturally falls when I am typing. I didn't really think about that before, but if your desk has the room, try this out.

to get a perspective, the "esc" key is at the top of the diagonal and the arrows are at the bottom, near the center of my body. This makes game play so much easier for me, bc both of my hands are in a more natural position like when I type normally.

And on another note: Brain...I have not seen you in FOREVER! Where have you been hiding!?

Pixie Dusted
07-19-2006, 07:23 AM
I forgot to mention...when I play (I'm right handed), I turn my keyboard diagonally to the left so my left hand on the arrows is close to where my left hand naturally falls when I am typing. I didn't really think about that before, but if your desk has the room, try this out.

to get a perspective, the "esc" key is at the top of the diagonal and the arrows are at the bottom, near the center of my body. This makes game play so much easier for me, bc both of my hands are in a more natural position like when I type normally.

I do this also, it definately helps! :thumbsup2

pixiewytch
07-19-2006, 08:34 AM
Ugh, count me in as another frustrated fireworks person. Luckily I went to MK yesterday as a little break from it all :banana:

Anyway, someone else once pointed out that all of these fireworks problems may have to do with individual computers. I am really starting to wonder about this. I know how to play the game. I have the order memorized. I know when the fireworks are going to explode from the star. Nevertheless I just can't seem to click them on time or I click on them too late. It aggravates me because the strategy of the game is very simple and I can do it but it is almost as though my computer does not cooperate. Now I'm the first one to admit if I just plain suck at a game, but I swear, I like fireworks, and I'm sure I've played it just as many times as the folks who are really good at it...yet for some reason I just can't get past like 200 on a really good day....and if there is a quest going on...forget it, I can't even get past 100 most of the time. I've tried different things...getting all of them regardless or waiting until the last minute to get flawless. I still can't beat an average score so seriously, I wonder if it is my computer. I have high speed dsl but I just don't get it since so many others have no problems. I've tried all of the advice and mastered it (so I think) to no avail.

The biggest cincher was the one and only time the other day I finished with 155 and I got dc right after. I know I'm not the only one. Like I said, it wouldn't be so freaking hard to get those quest scores if the game wasn't overloaded with players. I know that so many times the score difference between 10th place and 20th place could be a mere 500-1000 difference because so many are playing. Then it seems as if getting the score is more luck of the draw than anything else.

MiakodaWDW
07-20-2006, 02:30 PM
pixiewytch, it's possible. Sometimes my computer is slow and I have trouble...the icons won't change as fast as I click the arrows, and the mouse moves slower. Try closing all your programs besides vmk, and maybe doing regular stuff that people that don't have any idea about computers do, like me: like clearing cookies, history, browser cache, whatever. It may make it faster!

hope it helps.

I know if I have DIS and 4 other pages open while I'm playing, it WILL slow fireworks down. I have DSL also. Also sometimes I think it's vmk and not me that's slow. If a million people are on (ok, 4000) it runs slower. Getting on when a lot of people are not on is good. I play fireworks near closing b/c I am on EST and know that kids in eastern and central may be in bed by that time (midnight to one a.m.). Also maybe when summer is over and school is back in, we can play without a crowded kingdom during the weekdays again! LOL (sorry kids, I can't wait for school to start! hehe j/k...maybe... :teeth: )

pixiewytch
07-20-2006, 02:47 PM
Yeah, I've tried all of that. I never leave but maybe one other window open if I'm trying to do a quest or refer to some info I need. Otherwise I can't open other windows because it bogs down the system too much. For what it's worth though I did finally get the score the other day. I'm glad they seem to be extending these quests throughout the month instead of just a weekend.

Oh, I hear you about school starting, lol. I didn't want to say anything and upset anyone but I've been thinking about it and counting the days. I'm a SAHM so I am typically on during the day (when kids are in school). I usually spend the evenings with family and off the computer.

Only one more week, right? ;)

Coasterguy
07-20-2006, 02:48 PM
Anyway, someone else once pointed out that all of these fireworks problems may have to do with individual computers. I am really starting to wonder about this. I know how to play the game. I have the order memorized. I know when the fireworks are going to explode from the star. Nevertheless I just can't seem to click them on time or I click on them too late. It aggravates me because the strategy of the game is very simple and I can do it but it is almost as though my computer does not cooperate. Now I'm the first one to admit if I just plain suck at a game, but I swear, I like fireworks, and I'm sure I've played it just as many times as the folks who are really good at it...yet for some reason I just can't get past like 200 on a really good day....and if there is a quest going on...forget it, I can't even get past 100 most of the time. I've tried different things...getting all of them regardless or waiting until the last minute to get flawless. I still can't beat an average score so seriously, I wonder if it is my computer. I have high speed dsl but I just don't get it since so many others have no problems. I've tried all of the advice and mastered it (so I think) to no avail.

The biggest cincher was the one and only time the other day I finished with 155 and I got dc right after. I know I'm not the only one. Like I said, it wouldn't be so freaking hard to get those quest scores if the game wasn't overloaded with players. I know that so many times the score difference between 10th place and 20th place could be a mere 500-1000 difference because so many are playing. Then it seems as if getting the score is more luck of the draw than anything else.

Your computer definitely affects the game. When I first started there were a couple of machines I would use. I could barely make 220K on the slower machine. I was able to hit 240K on the faster machine. Add a wired optical mouse and LOTS and LOTS of practice I can usually get 250-260K. With the current DC times I only play 2 games and them logout and login again.

cat_herder
07-20-2006, 06:49 PM
Ugh, count me in as another frustrated fireworks person. Luckily I went to MK yesterday as a little break from it all :banana:

Anyway, someone else once pointed out that all of these fireworks problems may have to do with individual computers. I am really starting to wonder about this. I know how to play the game. I have the order memorized. I know when the fireworks are going to explode from the star. Nevertheless I just can't seem to click them on time or I click on them too late. I.

Yes, this is the same for me. I appreciate all the tips but I'm already doing all the ones that have suggested so far.

As for the computer, on Tuesday Paul went out to buy a new dvd burner and came home with a new computer with more memory, faster CPU, more ram, bigger harddrive, ect. I'll see what happens now. Today is the first time I've been in the game since Monday, just got shockwave installed 10 minutes ago.

MiakodaWDW
07-21-2006, 05:49 PM
Oh, I hear you about school starting, lol. I didn't want to say anything and upset anyone but I've been thinking about it and counting the days. I'm a SAHM so I am typically on during the day (when kids are in school). I usually spend the evenings with family and off the computer.

Only one more week, right? ;)

Is it REALLY just one more week??? :teeth:
The summer has dragged on forever to me!

MiakodaWDW
07-21-2006, 05:51 PM
Your computer definitely affects the game. When I first started there were a couple of machines I would use. I could barely make 220K on the slower machine. I was able to hit 240K on the faster machine. Add a wired optical mouse and LOTS and LOTS of practice I can usually get 250-260K. With the current DC times I only play 2 games and them logout and login again.

I have an optical mouse too. Never tried fireworks with a roller mouse (I guess that's what you call it, lol) but I imagine it would be harder than with an optical.

Oh, and Cat...if you have gotten the room, you should change this thread's title to "Fireworks help for people that stink at fireworks" or something! LOL just a suggestion since that's what it has turned into!

qruthie
07-22-2006, 12:08 AM
I just noticed something that may be messing up your mouse control during fireworks or any of the other games. Check your mouse pad if you are using an optical mouse.

I played haunted mansion using one of those new, slim, gray Dell mouse pads. My character wandered in all sorts of random directions. I switched back to my colorful (lots of contrast) South Park mouse pad for the next game and saw an amazing improvement.

My fireworks scores have been lower ever since I started using the Dell mouse pad. I suspect they'll be back to normal now that I switched back.

Supposedly a mouse pad with lots of contrast makes it easier for an optical mouse to work. This seems to be true for me.

pixiewytch
07-22-2006, 07:52 AM
Is it REALLY just one more week??? :teeth:
The summer has dragged on forever to me!

Honey, I'm home with a four year old all day so believe me, I understand. ;)

That is an interesting point about the mouse pad. We have an optical mouse so that can't be the problem but I should experiment with the mouse pad. Thanks for the suggestion.

cat_herder
07-22-2006, 12:03 PM
I just noticed something that may be messing up your mouse control during fireworks or any of the other games. Check your mouse pad if you are using an optical mouse.

I played haunted mansion using one of those new, slim, gray Dell mouse pads. My character wandered in all sorts of random directions. I switched back to my colorful (lots of contrast) South Park mouse pad for the next game and saw an amazing improvement.

My fireworks scores have been lower ever since I started using the Dell mouse pad. I suspect they'll be back to normal now that I switched back.

Supposedly a mouse pad with lots of contrast makes it easier for an optical mouse to work. This seems to be true for me.

This is getting spooky, we do have one of the slim gray mouse pads (I forget what they are called-for optical mouse), the guy at the computer store told us you needed one for optical mouse, (which we got at the suggestion of someone on the DIS boards months ago). We went to the computer store and explained to the guy there about VMK and how we needed a "faster" mouse and he showed us the mouse we have on the old computer and the new mouse pad. It didn't do anything for Haunted Mansion or Fireworks. That was when I started Champaigning for a faster CPU.

qruthie
07-23-2006, 01:22 AM
This is getting spooky, we do have one of the slim gray mouse pads (I forget what they are called-for optical mouse), the guy at the computer store told us you needed one for optical mouse, (which we got at the suggestion of someone on the DIS boards months ago). We went to the computer store and explained to the guy there about VMK and how we needed a "faster" mouse and he showed us the mouse we have on the old computer and the new mouse pad. It didn't do anything for Haunted Mansion or Fireworks. That was when I started Champaigning for a faster CPU.

Wow, that is spooky! I'd love to hear that your game playing got better from a simple change like the mouse pad. My ghost game was horrible with the dell pad. Either my character didn't move at all or it didn't follow the mouse movement properly if it did move. I switched pads part way through the game and the movement was normal again.

FYI, I have my mouse cursor speed set to fast and the "Enhance pointer precision" box is checked. You might want to check your mouse pointer speed even if you don't try a different mouse pad. The fast pointer takes a day or two to get used to but after that, it just feels normal. It definitely improved my game playing.

AllisonY2K
07-23-2006, 01:28 AM
I use the keyboard for Mansion (with Stickey Keys turned off). I tried the mouse and it just did not work for me. Keyboard all the way!!

mannyd
07-23-2006, 04:38 AM
hmm, stickey keys turned off you say, i might have to try that, i have been having more success leading with the mouse pointer, they need tighter controls on the games, but haunted i think needs it the most

MiakodaWDW
07-23-2006, 05:51 PM
how do you turn off "sticky keys"? I'm guessing that is why I get some box popping up if I hit the keys too much or hold them down....I would like to get rid of that. Thanks!

puckstopper55
07-24-2006, 10:26 AM
There are 2 things i have read that concern me.

1) if you are using an optical moune, wired or wireless, you should be using a plain WHITE mouspad. The optical sensor has a hard time detecting movement on a darker surface. White offers the best results in addition to saving battery life. I have had an optical mouse for well over 5 years and i have tried it with every kind of mouse pad there is. For a game that precision isnt too impt i wouldnt worry, but for a first person shooter or fireworks where it is critical, use a plain white mouse pad. You can get them at a local computer show for around $1. They usually are the starting point for those "get your picture on a mouse pad" things. Just ask to buy a plain mouse pad.

2) This is the most important thing. People think because they go out and get a new computer that it should be able to do everything from Doom3 and Half Life 2 to Sims 2 .. ect. The truth is this .. You may have a 3.0ghz CPU with 1gig of dual channel ram, but its useless for gaming if you dont have a "good" video card. Sure VMK doesnt need the same video card as the games mentioned above, but with a trie video card the firework game will run as smooth as anything else and your score will jump by 20K. Most of the off the shelf comuters, unless its specifically made for gaming, have what they call "all on board". Which means that the motherboard has a built in video, sound, and ethernet cards. This is much better then the old way when you had to buy a seperate card for EVERYTHING, but they usually skimp on the video card portion. Sure its plenty good to surf the web, watch movies, and play yahoo games, but fireworks will not run as good as it can/should. My DGF had a store bought computer and fireworks worked eh. I bought her a seperate video card, disabled the onboard video card, and fireworks worked like a dream, not to mention she can play Sims 2 without the choppyness. If you are this upset about a lower firework score, try my 2 tips. I bet it will help

~!~CaptainJack~!~
07-24-2006, 11:33 AM
new room?!?!?! what is it?! i am AWESOME at fireworks i want it! LOL what is the room that you get??

~Captain

qruthie
07-24-2006, 06:42 PM
There are 2 things i have read that concern me.

1) if you are using an optical moune, wired or wireless, you should be using a plain WHITE mouspad. The optical sensor has a hard time detecting movement on a darker surface. White offers the best results in addition to saving battery life. I have had an optical mouse for well over 5 years and i have tried it with every kind of mouse pad there is. For a game that precision isnt too impt i wouldnt worry, but for a first person shooter or fireworks where it is critical, use a plain white mouse pad. You can get them at a local computer show for around $1. They usually are the starting point for those "get your picture on a mouse pad" things. Just ask to buy a plain mouse pad.

2) This is the most important thing. People think because they go out and get a new computer that it should be able to do everything from Doom3 and Half Life 2 to Sims 2 .. ect. The truth is this .. You may have a 3.0ghz CPU with 1gig of dual channel ram, but its useless for gaming if you dont have a "good" video card. Sure VMK doesnt need the same video card as the games mentioned above, but with a trie video card the firework game will run as smooth as anything else and your score will jump by 20K. Most of the off the shelf comuters, unless its specifically made for gaming, have what they call "all on board". Which means that the motherboard has a built in video, sound, and ethernet cards. This is much better then the old way when you had to buy a seperate card for EVERYTHING, but they usually skimp on the video card portion. Sure its plenty good to surf the web, watch movies, and play yahoo games, but fireworks will not run as good as it can/should. My DGF had a store bought computer and fireworks worked eh. I bought her a seperate video card, disabled the onboard video card, and fireworks worked like a dream, not to mention she can play Sims 2 without the choppyness. If you are this upset about a lower firework score, try my 2 tips. I bet it will help

I 100% agree about the graphics card. A good graphics card makes all the difference in the world when playing games. I'm confused about the mouse pad information.

I've seen stuff that says optical mice work best with mouse pads that have a low amount of contrast because contrast confuses the motion sensing process. I have believed this to be true up until I had to change the mouse pad after spilling soda on the one I was using.

I've seen stuff that says optical mice work best with mouse pads that have a lot of contrast because contrast improves the motion sensing process. Now I wonder if this may be true. I saw a marked increase in mouse performance after I switched to a mouse pad with extreme contrast.

I'm using a small, wired optical mouse (an hp) on an hp notebook. I've used a sheet of white paper; the grayish, smooth top dell mouse pad; a black traditional mouse pad; a mostly gray colored labyrinth traditional mouse pad; a very colorful South Park traditional mouse pad and no mouse pad at all on a dark brown table. I'm getting the best performance out of the South Park mouse pad. It makes no sense to me because I always believed the statement about using a low contrast mouse pad. I have not tried an official optical mouse pad and see no need to as my VMK performance is fine without one.

So, based on that, I still suggest trying different mouse pad options. What works for me may not work for someone else. The South Park mouse pad that works so well with my notebook did not work well at all with my Mac. I had retired the pad based on that.

puckstopper55
07-25-2006, 09:25 AM
The quote below is taken directly off of logitech's website:

"The surface on which you use the mouse can significantly affect battery life and performance. Lighter surfaces extend battery life and increase performance, while darker ones shorten and worsen it. Bright, matt surfaces (not glossy ones) are recommended. A simple white mouse pad is an ideal choice"

I think they know a little more about it then we "pretend" to. :cool1:

SkittleLover
07-25-2006, 10:17 AM
Cat I feel your frustration on this. I also could hardly play any of the mini games until I pestered my husband enough to upgrade my computer. As soon as he did, and after practicing ALOT, I was able to get enough points to complete the green car quest. I don't know if you would want to do this or not, but I would be willing to make a mule, complete the quest for the blizzard beach room. Give you the account info. Then you could try to change the password so I wouldn't know it.( I think I have read where you can do this, if not I guess it wouldn't work) You then could link up teleporters with your main characters room to the blizzard beach room. You would have to decorate it by trading your main characters stuff with the mule. Well anyway it was just a thought I had. My other suggestion is to challenge a teenage boy get the points for you! I couldn't get past level 2 on the Pirate Adventure Game for the pirate ships, and challenged my daughters boyfriend to try. a little while later I had a whole page of codes e-mailed to me! lol
Well anyway let me know if I can help!
Jewelzy (in VMK now)
AKA SkittleLover

cat_herder
07-25-2006, 04:36 PM
Thanks for the offer but I was able to get the room after all; thanks to another lovely lady. :yay:

MiakodaWDW
07-25-2006, 05:51 PM
My mousepad is dark purple with little swirilies and my optical mouse works just fine. For fireworks and all the crazy games my fiance plays (first person shooters and such). We tried just putting white art paper over it and it made no diff.
(this is my fiance's computer, where I play vmk)

Video cards are very important! I can't play vmk well on my computer bc the video card is crap.

qruthie
07-25-2006, 06:54 PM
The quote below is taken directly off of logitech's website:

"The surface on which you use the mouse can significantly affect battery life and performance. Lighter surfaces extend battery life and increase performance, while darker ones shorten and worsen it. Bright, matt surfaces (not glossy ones) are recommended. A simple white mouse pad is an ideal choice"

I think they know a little more about it then we "pretend" to. :cool1:

Puckstopper55, I appreciate all of the advice and information you have added to this post. It is very helpful. This post isn't directed at you, it's just my caveat emptor nature kicking in. Now I'm going to question this Logitech statement.

Okay, isn't this referring to wireless optical mice? :confused3 I'm talking about wired optical mice. Not that they should be that different but they are different. In any event, Logitech seems to recommend bright, matte surface mouse pads in general and white for ideal performance. That doesn't negate my mouse experience or my suggestion to try different mouse pads to possibly improve the performance of your optical mouse. Cat and others seem to be aiming for normal performance from their mice in VMK, they don't seem to be aiming for ideal performance. What does Logitech or any other manufacturer recommend for good but less than ideal performance?

Remember, Logitech may be pretending to know more too. We don't really know their motivation for this statement. They have an agenda - to sell their mice and pads. They may also have some performance issues and may be offloading the blame onto non-white, non-matte mouse pads. The statement could be quite true or totally made up as an answer to a problem report or somewhere in between. BTW, it's "matte", not "matt".

I'm not picking on you, I'm picking on them. I wrote and maintained software for several large computer companies over the years. I know what types of false or misleading information we propagated through our documentation and support channels. Part of our personal performance was based on how quickly we closed a problem report. We had a lot of incentive to come up with a "white mouse pad" kind of answer which may come from an engineer who uses a white mouse pad and doesn't have mouse performance issues. Seriously, the goal seemed to be to close the problem report for any reason, rather than actually solve the customer's problem (much like the VMK black hole). It costs very little to close a report compared to what it costs to fix a performance problem. Because of that, I question just about anything a manufacturer says.

Memory lane moment... My first experience with an optical mouse was over 20 years ago with a Logitech mouse. Back then, the mouse pad was a shiny, stiff metal plate with a graph paper like grid printed on it. The axis lines on the grid were a different color, apparently so the mouse could find the (0,0) coordinate. We had to use that pad and had to calibrate the mouse by sliding it slowly across the pad each time we started up the computer. If you scratched or dented the pad, you most likely needed to buy a new one and they were very expensive! The computer was a workhorse with a full megabyte of memory! :lmao: I'm so glad technology has improved!

Back to today... Again, my suggestion to try a different mouse pad is based on my mouse performance improving greatly after I switched mouse pads in the middle of a haunted mansion game. That's just one data point which is statistically insignificant. It seems to be a "your mileage may vary" situation and my mileage varied greatly from what I expected.

thepanmanman
07-26-2006, 09:37 AM
Thanks for all the info. You have helped me to get fireworks magic. I have been trying for three months and hundreds of games. This was the most frustrating game for me. Thanks again.