PDA

View Full Version : Why do people have to be negative about Disney

DisneyFairy19
07-13-2006, 08:07 PM
Hi Everyone

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE Disney.. I have been going before I was born.. LOL My parents Honeymooned there... I go all the time... SO many people at my job or people that I meet and when I tell them how many times I go and that I am getting married there... They say that Disney is artificial fun, why do you go so much its just parks, too much walking, not much to do... I am appaulled (think its how you spell it) about how many people I come across and say that Disney is fine for once a couple of years... I had to let out my anger on how people can be so mean.... So I am glad I can be on a website where I can chat with DISNEY LOVERS like me

Harvest02
07-13-2006, 08:24 PM
Actually, my husband is very negative about Disney as well. Says it costs too much, it is not relaxing, and Mickey empties his wallet! But, I tend to differ! My kids and I love it. The 4 of us just got back from a June trip, and I am planning a trip again in October 2007. Not sure if my husband will go with us this time, but my sister might go instead. I will take the kids myself if neither one wants to go. My kids and I are itching to go back! I tend to think like this...you only live once so might as well enjoy life. If that means going to Disney world, then so be it! It is magical, and glad I can talk to all my DIS'ers out there! :sunny:

hrh_disney_queen
07-13-2006, 10:01 PM
Hi Everyone

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE Disney.. I have been going before I was born.. LOL My parents Honeymooned there... I go all the time... SO many people at my job or people that I meet and when I tell them how many times I go and that I am getting married there... They say that Disney is artificial fun, why do you go so much its just parks, too much walking, not much to do... I am appaulled (think its how you spell it) about how many people I come across and say that Disney is fine for once a couple of years... I had to let out my anger on how people can be so mean.... So I am glad I can be on a website where I can chat with DISNEY LOVERS like me

why would you think it was "mean" because some people question the wonder of a Disney vacation? I LOVE WDW, too. My kids love it. But DH does NOT love it for many of the reasons listed by the above poster. He goes because WE love it, and he does have fun. But he would rather be in Montana or Yosemite backpacking...(to me...boring and way too much effort!) He doesn't think that I am "mean" because I don't like that kind of vacation. Why would you become angry because other people want to go somewhere else on vacation...to me that's one less person in line on the rides!! :confused3

DLBDS
07-13-2006, 10:01 PM
I haven't been back to WDW since the 70's! I always told my husband that we would go and now that my DD is 9, I've booked and just about paid off our Nov./Dec. trip this year. I can't wait. Neither one of them have a clue what it's like. They only have Busch Gardens to compare it to. BG is nice but it's no WDW by any stretch of the imagination. I think we'll have such a great time that I'm also planning another trip for October 2007. I bought everyone (3 of us) annual passes. I intend to use them too! I can't wait. WDW made a HUGE impression on me as a child. I'm even taking my mom, who's never been either, for a 6 night/7 day visit in February. Just me and her. That trip will be one of those once-in-a- lifetime kinda events. Like I said....I'm gonna get my $$$ worth outa those APs! I've only come across one person who thought WDW wasn't all that. To each his own.

:wave:

Thinktinknpixiedust
07-13-2006, 10:12 PM
you know... even Ihave run across a few people that just don't get it. For what ever reason they are not feeling the same things we feel. And that's ok. I sometimes try to get my point across, but I only feel exhausted and they are just confused. They don't get that for us, Disney is not just a place, but a state of mind!! Don't let it bother you. A few less people for us to wait in line behind ;)

DisneyFairy19
07-13-2006, 10:15 PM
I agree with you guys.. I know that ppl dont have the same vacation idea as others... I agree less ppl in line.. lol

marathonmommy
07-13-2006, 10:20 PM
Actually, my husband is very negative about Disney as well. Says it costs too much, it is not relaxing, and Mickey empties his wallet! But, I tend to differ! My kids and I love it. The 4 of us just got back from a June trip, and I am planning a trip again in October 2007. Not sure if my husband will go with us this time, but my sister might go instead. I will take the kids myself if neither one wants to go. My kids and I are itching to go back! I tend to think like this...you only live once so might as well enjoy life. If that means going to Disney world, then so be it! It is magical, and glad I can talk to all my DIS'ers out there! :sunny:

OMG! So glad to meet someone like you! DH doesn't really care for it either - but I LOVE it! So much so, I bought DVC on my own . . . and like you, I go with or without him! So far, I've taken mom and sis. I'm sure I'll make a trip or two with a friend as well. He'll go every other year or so, but I don't mind if he doesn't go. Don't need anyone dampening my Disney fun!

Samantha/NC
07-13-2006, 10:29 PM
I don't think they are being mean, they just don't do disney!! I am so excited about going in a few days BUT up until this last year--I did not care one thing about it. My sister talked all the time about wanting our families to go together, but I was like, it is too expensive, too much walking, or the big, my kids don't even know who MM is!! BUt after semi planning last summer and lots of research, and lots and lots of time on the Disboards :cool1: I can't wait and am already trying to get a trip up for 2008!!!!!!!

Disney here we come :banana: :banana:

DISUNC
07-14-2006, 04:09 AM
Hi Everyone

http://www.cynchronicity.com/smileys/razz.gifto them! Less crowds for us!

4chitlins
07-14-2006, 05:41 AM
My DH doesn't love WDW but he does love his kids so he goes to watch us all have a great time and let's face it a bad day at Disney is better than a good day at work right?

Linda 441
07-14-2006, 06:39 AM
I think with the OP it is not only that the people don't "get" Disney, but I got the impression from her post that they are not nice about it. Not just that it doens't interest them.

Harvest02
07-14-2006, 07:04 AM
OMG! So glad to meet someone like you! DH doesn't really care for it either - but I LOVE it! So much so, I bought DVC on my own . . . and like you, I go with or without him! So far, I've taken mom and sis. I'm sure I'll make a trip or two with a friend as well. He'll go every other year or so, but I don't mind if he doesn't go. Don't need anyone dampening my Disney fun!

Isn't it nice to know we are not alone in our DH not liking Disney? My husband just gripes pretty much the entire time we are there. We went this June and he was complaining how hot it was, how tired he was, etc. He goes for the kids sake, and that is fine. I told him he is welcome to come next time, but if he is not into it like me and the kids then so be it. He can stay home!!! Then it would save us some money since we wouldn't have to board the dog, buy him a plane ticket, pay for his meals, or buy him the park ticket! Secretly, I think he had fun, but he works 12 hour days when at home, so I think he would rather have a "relaxing" vacation on a beach or something. I am a SAHM, so going to Disney is exciting for me and the kids! I want to have fun while I am there!!! Don't need anyone taking that away from me!!

the john
07-14-2006, 07:05 AM
The less the better

Laurajean1014
07-14-2006, 07:08 AM
It seems you always hate the one you love......

Disney may not be obtainable for lots of people and that may cause envy and jealousy to
the place and the people that frequent there.

Many people haven't been there and only hear that there are big crowds, long lines and bad food (like most amusement parks), so they have a misconception.

We also always mock what we don't understand.

Laurajean1014
07-14-2006, 07:09 AM
The less the better

I totally agree!

hrh_disney_queen
07-14-2006, 08:49 AM
Isn't it nice to know we are not alone in our DH not liking Disney? My husband just gripes pretty much the entire time we are there. We went this June and he was complaining how hot it was, how tired he was, etc. He goes for the kids sake, and that is fine. I told him he is welcome to come next time, but if he is not into it like me and the kids then so be it. He can stay home!!! Then it would save us some money since we wouldn't have to board the dog, buy him a plane ticket, pay for his meals, or buy him the park ticket! Secretly, I think he had fun, but he works 12 hour days when at home, so I think he would rather have a "relaxing" vacation on a beach or something. I am a SAHM, so going to Disney is exciting for me and the kids! I want to have fun while I am there!!! Don't need anyone taking that away from me!!

OMG, are you......ME??? I could have written this post word for word...except we have 4 dogs to board.. :crazy:

bushdianee
07-14-2006, 09:20 AM
Until 1998 I was one of those indifferent people who had never been to Disney. I was the oldest of 8 children and there just wasn't $ for vacations as my Dad wanted my Mom to stay home. In 1997 some relatives were planning a trip to WDW and suggested that some of us join them. At first I kept saying it was too expensive,etc, but one of my sisters was interested but didn't want to go on her own as we live 1,000 miles from the relatives. I decided to go (thank goodness!). We ended up using the TA the relatives did in Buffalo and she got us a great deal. Needless to say both of us were hooked immediatly! We went back for New Year's in 2000, summer of 2002, in the summer and my birthday in 2004 along with a 3 day cruise, and spring break 2006. I also took a 12 year old niece in 2003. I even talked my Mom into taking a 4 day disney cruise in 1005. Those in the family who haven't gone just don't get it and don't have any interest in going. I get the "Disney again??" all the time. I have a cousin who loves Disney who is trying to talk one of my brothers into going as soon as my niece is a little older. Of course I am planning on taking her myself as soon as she is out of diapers!
::MinnieMo pluto: :dumbo: :goofy: :tink: :donald: :mickeyjum

laura001
07-14-2006, 09:20 AM
Different strokes for different folks! The only problem with people being negative like that is the fact that they aren't willing to let someone else have fun and enjoy what they are doing just because they don't agree or understand it themselves.

I don't let anyone take away my DISNEY fun or feeling! How dare they even try!!!!!!!!! :sunny:

santonucci
07-14-2006, 09:21 AM
why would you think it was "mean" because some people question the wonder of a Disney vacation? I LOVE WDW, too. My kids love it. But DH does NOT love it for many of the reasons listed by the above poster. He goes because WE love it, and he does have fun. But he would rather be in Montana or Yosemite backpacking...(to me...boring and way too much effort!) He doesn't think that I am "mean" because I don't like that kind of vacation. Why would you become angry because other people want to go somewhere else on vacation...to me that's one less person in line on the rides!! :confused3

I just came back from a three day backpacking trip in Yosemite, and it was awesome! It was just myself and my oldest boy, and we left the mommy, my daughter, and my infant twins home on the couch... They leave for the beach tomorrow, and I'll be travelling for business (ANYTHING to avoid a beach vacation- TALK ABOUT BORING!) :-)

I loved Disney before my kids were born. We had sort of gotten into a rut with it, but when the kids were born, we found a renewed sense of wonder. Now, we measure them (son- ok for everything, daughter going to make SM and EE this trip!), talk about doing new things, old things... That's what makes it "new" for us, again.

As far as the OP stated, I have had the "again" attitude more than once. I try to explain to people that I don't actually go to WDW for the rides, but the "feeling" that I get. Sure, the kids love the rides, the pools, etc, but we go there to forget our day to day lives- and be immersed in each other. I've actually been asked (many times)- "Are you taking the kids?", which I think is possibly the dumbest question ever.

"Mean" people need time away from their kids.

"Mean" people think they're better than you because the went to Paris (which I can't understand why you'd want to vacation in a place where you couldn't communicate with the people around you...)

"Mean" people complain about the costs without thinking about the value. (assume ~$40/day for tickets for an average 10 hour day. That's $4/hr!)

I'll be making my 16th (or so) trip in 3 weeks, my son's 9th (or so-he's 8), and the twins first. We're also planning to return in Jan/Feb 2007 (again)- regardless of what everyone else thinks!

Steve

P.S. I'm also planning a longer backpack trip through Yosemite next year with my son and my wife will probably take the kids to the beach, again...

dnoyes
07-14-2006, 11:51 AM
bushdianee. Kind of the same thing with me. My first trip was in 98 but I didn't even want to go, my inlaws guilted me into it. That was about $20.000 disney dollars ago.lol

Out here in the west people always say "oh your going to Disneyland how nice" it just drives me crazy that they don't even know that Disney World is different.

apirateslifeforme
07-14-2006, 12:10 PM
I always get an eye roll, then "How old are you again? Disney is for kids...you don't have any kids...grow up. Go to the Caribbean like an adult."

Okay...as long as it's PIRATES of the Caribbean! :teeth:

SleepingBeautyDreamr
07-14-2006, 12:54 PM
The way I see this is that we are like Peter Pan and the Lost Boys and those who are negative about Disney are the Wendy's Dads of the world. Some people just don't know how to stay a kid at heart and others like us never truely grow up. It is just a fact of life. :tinker:

deekaypee
07-14-2006, 01:08 PM
I say, each to their own.

Whenever anyone starts to pass value judgments about my choices--whether how to spend discretionary income, where to go on vacation, why I own Mickey ears, whatever--I look at them and imagine them quacking like a duck (not Donald, though).

Then I find myself staring at them with a slightly confused look, :confused3 or sometimes a half-stare "deer in the headlights" gaze. :bitelip: They're talking, but all I'm hearing is "Quack, quack, quackety, quack." Now, they don't know why I've got that look on my face, but they do know their attempt to convert me to their way of thinking has failed horribly.

It also helps remind me to let their commentary roll off my back like--and you knew this was coming--water off a duck!

Gizmo1951
07-14-2006, 01:20 PM
I say to each there own.
My DH has gone several times on our trips to Disney.
While he enjoyed it he much rather go on his fishing Trips tro Canada.
Most likely his last trip to Disney was October 2005 due to health reasons.
So now it is me and my 2 grand daughters. We usually arrange our visits with my other DD and grandchildren.

He understands our "Disney Addiction" and actually encourages us to have fun.

Who are we to argue, our Disney Addiction will continue to infinity and beyond!

:rotfl2: :wave:

kvogel11202
07-14-2006, 01:35 PM
I often get the "how many times can you go to Disney" comment- my reply- I'm doing my best to find out. I went to Disney 3 times in High School, and now have taken my 3 kids every other year since 2000. My husband and and I took a two week honeymoon in 2002, one week in New Orleans, one week in Disney. My parents actually flew the kids down to meet up with us. My dad at the time was not real excited, but he had never been to WDW with his grandkids! Now he insists on coming on every trip! He even came down with me to camp at Ft Wilderness with our Cub Scout group this past April, and is super excited to go back in October! Now my husband, he's a grouch. Starting grumbling about the trip the other day to his mom, and I explained he could stay home. It would save me lots of money. I pay for the trips, the food and all the kids souveniers, all he has to do is show up!Honestly! Men!

EEYOREMAMA
07-14-2006, 01:41 PM
If people are negative, it is because the green-eyed monster bit them in the b_ _ t!!! or they just don't "get it." WDW is not so much about a destination, it is a state of mind. With all the stuff going wrong in the world right now, it's going to take someone with a big tool box to fix it.

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j135/eeyoremama/hammer.gifhttp://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j135/eeyoremama/toolbox2.jpg

That's what Disney does for my family and me. It takes us out of "the real world" for awhile, and takes us to a place where we can just be a family together. We make memories and that is worth everything. Let the naysayers stay away. More room for us :thumbsup2

SleepingBeautyDreamr
07-14-2006, 01:46 PM
If people are negative, it is because the green-eyed monster bit them in the b_ _ t!!! or they just don't "get it." WDW is not so much about a destination, it is a state of mind. With all the stuff going wrong in the world right now, it's going to take someone with a big tool box to fix it.

That's what Disney does for my family and me. It takes us out of "the real world" for awhile, and takes us to a place where we can just be a family together. We make memories and that is worth everything. Let the naysayers stay away. More room for us

Amen to that :wizard:

marathonmommy
07-14-2006, 02:01 PM
OMG, are you......ME??? I could have written this post word for word...except we have 4 dogs to board.. :crazy:

We need to start our own forum . . . "Married - but Disney Single"
I am glad to find commraderie with harvest02 and you!
I've got the dog to board, too. But more importantly, hubby can be a Disney buzkill. He doesn't get it like I do! (Okay, maybe my two kids love it by default, but I'll take that for now!)
As mentioned earlier, we just go without the hubby. I love to go with sis and/or mom - other Disney fans. They get "IT"!
Maybe one day all of us DisBoard - "Married but Disney Single" people should plan a trip!

Disney Girlie-Wirlie
07-14-2006, 02:21 PM
Ditto...I don't get the lack of appreciation some people have for our beloved Disney. It's absolutely Baffling!

Disney is a place and a thing that never ceases to bring me undescribable joy, yet there are so many people who just don't understand that, and I in turn, don't understand them. Oh well. Atleast WE have Disney. :wizard:

BTW, congrats on your soon to be WDW wedding! Where are you having it? That's so exciting! I got engaged at WDW and we honeymooned there as well. :lovestruc

Harvest02
07-14-2006, 03:27 PM
I've got the dog to board, too. But more importantly, hubby can be a Disney buzkill. He doesn't get it like I do! (Okay, maybe my two kids love it by default, but I'll take that for now!)
As mentioned earlier, we just go without the hubby. I love to go with sis and/or mom - other Disney fans. They get "IT"!
Maybe one day all of us DisBoard - "Married but Disney Single" people should plan a trip!

I think that is a great idea! Maybe there needs to be a meet in Disney for all of us "single parents taking the kids". My husband can be a stick in the mud sometimes with vacations. His parents never took him on any when he was a kid, but my parents took us many times and not just to Disney. My parents even had a room for us at the Polynesian hotel years ago, which I am not willing to spend the money for at this point. I think Disney is such a magical place and makes me forget about all the bills and concerns back home! If you or marathon mommy want to PM me, that would be fine with me. I love meeting new people, especially ones that enjoy Disney! I would love to know the ages of your kids also. :sunny:

hrh_disney_queen
07-14-2006, 07:04 PM
I just came back from a three day backpacking trip in Yosemite, and it was awesome! It was just myself and my oldest boy, and we left the mommy, my daughter, and my infant twins home on the couch... They leave for the beach tomorrow, and I'll be travelling for business (ANYTHING to avoid a beach vacation- TALK ABOUT BORING!) :-)

I loved Disney before my kids were born. We had sort of gotten into a rut with it, but when the kids were born, we found a renewed sense of wonder. Now, we measure them (son- ok for everything, daughter going to make SM and EE this trip!), talk about doing new things, old things... That's what makes it "new" for us, again.

As far as the OP stated, I have had the "again" attitude more than once. I try to explain to people that I don't actually go to WDW for the rides, but the "feeling" that I get. Sure, the kids love the rides, the pools, etc, but we go there to forget our day to day lives- and be immersed in each other. I've actually been asked (many times)- "Are you taking the kids?", which I think is possibly the dumbest question ever.

"Mean" people need time away from their kids.

"Mean" people think they're better than you because the went to Paris (which I can't understand why you'd want to vacation in a place where you couldn't communicate with the people around you...)

"Mean" people complain about the costs without thinking about the value. (assume ~$40/day for tickets for an average 10 hour day. That's $4/hr!)

I'll be making my 16th (or so) trip in 3 weeks, my son's 9th (or so-he's 8), and the twins first. We're also planning to return in Jan/Feb 2007 (again)- regardless of what everyone else thinks!

Steve

P.S. I'm also planning a longer backpack trip through Yosemite next year with my son and my wife will probably take the kids to the beach, again...

LOL, santonucci...At least my DH realized a long, long time ago that when we tried to do the backpack trip from the Valley up some waterfall, had to be there by dark, didn't start early enough, everything I own is on my back,
I am WAAAAYYYY too outta shape for this (me, not him), so I'm just gonna sit down here on this rock and cry thingy..let's just say that was while we were courting...and I never did it (nor was I asked) again...

My days of strenuous, kill yourself or you didn't have a good time-vacations are long gone. Commando WDW touring is my extent of a "rough" vacation.

He is going to Yosemite at the end of August for 2 weeks with his buddies. The boys and I have not had a vacation this year to speak of. Come December (see my ticker) there's gonna be some serious manipulation going on for this trip he had no clue about....(but he knows there is always another one around the corner... :thumbsup2 )

he loves the beach, part of the reason we moved to Savannah, I know the love will never come for WDW, but a little more "false" enthusiasm would be nice, I don't want a boat anchor!! (actually he is fine once we are there...not :yay: happy :yay: to be there, but tolerable...)

I am imagining the OP is probably talking about people not wanting to hear another story about how great WDW, and it hurts her feelings...(I like to talk about Disney, too, that's why I am here!!)

I think of it like this....let's say my coworker Bubba, loves to bass fish...it his primary source of joy. That is all he wants to talk about, how big the last one that got away was, his new big ole' bass boat, gettin' up at 4 a.m. to get out there and git the big uns...blah,blah,blah....I've heard it every day since I worked there....If he tells me one more story about cleaning fish..I think I will scream :scared1:

He loves it, I don't get it.
He wants to talk about it, I don't want to hear about it...

Live and let live..no reason to get hurt feelings over it... :hippie:

mtpalmer
07-15-2006, 09:38 AM
I feel the need to share how naive I am...I thought everyone loved Disney I mean who would not love the Mouse...ten years ago when we told people we were going sort of a belated honeymoon everyone we told was very excited for us...last year when we told everyone we were going to Disney with our boys on our first real family vacation everyone was again so excited for us..well when we have told people we are going again this year no so much excitement from alot of people..alot of negative comments about wasting money and time, or too crowded, even about taking my kids out of school...(last year my oldest missed three days this year only 2)...alot of "its one of those things you really only need to do once"..once my foot there are things I wanted to do in the week we went ten years ago that we still didnt have time to do in a week last year that I am sure we wont be able to finish doing in a week this year...I am truly surprised not everyone has the love and respect for Disney like we do..glad I found out about the DIS boards :cheer2:

DznyLvr2005
07-16-2006, 09:28 AM
Some people just don't get it. Don't get the Disney feeling that other people have. My husband loves WDW, but doens't feel the same about it as me. I'm totally crazy and DW is all I talk about and think about! But I really think it has to with this:
I've been going to DW since I was 5. Everytime I go, soemthing new hits my memory and it's such an emotional thing now. I'm so attached to the disney feeling :tink:
If you weren't brought up with it, you may not feel the same about it.

HappyLawyer
07-16-2006, 11:51 AM
i'm just curious what is so wrong with being negative, people have that right, i's sure everyone is not positive about every single thing, there could be something you're negative about and people may wonder why you're so negative

EEYOREMAMA
07-16-2006, 11:59 AM
i'm just curious what is so wrong with being negative, people have that right, i's sure everyone is not positive about every single thing, there could be something you're negative about and people may wonder why you're so negative

There is already too much negativity in this world. Being negative is so counter-productive. Just go with "if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all." This way, no one's feelings get hurt and we can have a more positive place to live. I can't imagine anything being more postive than that.

I love Disney yesterday, today, tomorrow and as long as I can :disrocks:

kstinw19
07-16-2006, 02:25 PM
There are some people that "feel the magic" and there are some people that don't and never will. That's okay.

I am lucky enough to find a dh who is as fanatical about it as I am so it really works out for us. Of course, he isn't as obsessed as I am, especially about the planning, which is fine with me.

He and his family used to go at least once a year and several times a year when they lived in FLA for 10 years. But the vacation I planned two years ago was the best he has ever had, he told me. What a compliment!!

I have played there and I have worked there. Even working for the Mouse hasn't dampered my spirits and love of Disney. On those days where you just couldn't take it anymore, I would be dancing in the parade and see a little girl or boy who was just so awestruck, you cannot help but smile.

I love it...I love that the whole family can participate together, I love the excitement in my kid's eyes, and I love that it's fake...that we can all escape the grocery store and cell phones and horrible news for one week. To me, that is a vacation. :love:

yankeepenny
07-16-2006, 04:40 PM
I haven't been back to WDW since the 70's! I always told my husband that we would go and now that my DD is 9, I've booked and just about paid off our Nov./Dec. trip this year. I can't wait. Neither one of them have a clue what it's like. They only have Busch Gardens to compare it to. BG is nice but it's no WDW by any stretch of the imagination. I think we'll have such a great time that I'm also planning another trip for October 2007. I bought everyone (3 of us) annual passes. I intend to use them too! I can't wait. WDW made a HUGE impression on me as a child. I'm even taking my mom, who's never been either, for a 6 night/7 day visit in February. Just me and her. That trip will be one of those once-in-a- lifetime kinda events. Like I said....I'm gonna get my $$$ worth outa those APs! I've only come across one person who thought WDW wasn't all that. To each his own.

:wave:

jsut a note- hello!
our stopever is NC on the way to our trip, and I am eating a box of kk's for breakfast!
drive to boston for them.......crazy me.....
:rotfl:

angipoo
07-16-2006, 04:58 PM
Our family - DH, DD (6) and I fell in love with Disney when we went in 2004. We are going again in November :banana: and have invited my parents along. My mom is all for it, but my dad went in 1974 and he still thinks that is all there is. Boy, is he in for a shock! :Pinkbounc
Incidentally, my parentas have been to Universal a few times and he loved that so I think Disney is going to blow him away.

No one else can do magic like Disney!

rkujay
07-17-2006, 02:00 PM
I have emailed Guest Services so many times regarding bad experiences that they rarely contact me back anymore. Don't get me wrong. WDW is the best entertainment of its kind in the world...period. That's why WDW is the most popular vacation spot in the world. However, I hold Disney to the standard that they have set ($$$$) for this type of entertainment. The level of service is without equal. I have stayed at hotels, motels, resorts, etc. around the world. Nothing compares to Disney service. So when something goes wrong, I think they should know. As a businessman, I feel like there are two types of customers. Good ones tell you when they have a problem. Bad ones just go away. So, if this sounds negative, so be it. We have been passholders for so long I can't remember when. We stay at Disney resorts at least once a month and day trip more often than that. I guess we love Disney as well, but for what we pay for our AP s, food, lodging, etc, if we have a bad time Disney will hear from me.
BTW, when we have a great experience, I let them know about that as well. I also take the time to let them know about individuals who go the extra step to see that we enjoy ourselves.

Richard

disgram
07-17-2006, 03:39 PM
I have this conversation about 10 or 12 times while planning a trip with family and friends!

"WHAT??YOU'RE GOING AGAIN????"

Yea, I am!!! I waited all my life to go to WDW and I have such a wonderful time there that I cannot wait to get back!!!

"IT WILL COST YOU A FORTUNE!!!!"

Yea, it will cost a little money, but I save as much as I can on the room and I wait for the FREE DINING.

"AIRLINES ARE SO EXPENSIVE!"

They can be but if you watch you can get good deals.

"THERE ARE OTHER PLACES NOT SO EXPENSIVE AND NOT SO FAR AWAY!"

True, there are but I prefer to spend MY time at Disney!!!!!

Try it....you may like it too!!!!

pixiedust: pixiedust: pixiedust:

JPN4265
07-18-2006, 06:10 AM
If they don't get it, they never will. :confused3

sherreis
07-18-2006, 09:16 AM
It's nice to not feel alone in that DH thinks I'm crazy for wanting to spend so much money on this vacation. He keeps saying that's a room of furniture. My 2 boys have never been there - they'll be 6 and 11 and I cannot wait to share the excitement with them and seeing DW through their eyes as well. I keep trying to explain to DH what is wrong with living in fantasy world for a few days and trying to forget our daily struggles. Our children will always remember their first trip to DW and how special it was. I even asked DH last night if he would rather stay home.

marathonmommy
07-18-2006, 10:00 AM
It's nice to not feel alone in that DH thinks I'm crazy for wanting to spend so much money on this vacation. He keeps saying that's a room of furniture. My 2 boys have never been there - they'll be 6 and 11 and I cannot wait to share the excitement with them and seeing DW through their eyes as well. I keep trying to explain to DH what is wrong with living in fantasy world for a few days and trying to forget our daily struggles. Our children will always remember their first trip to DW and how special it was. I even asked DH last night if he would rather stay home.

Since it's your kids' first time, let him come. Ha Ha!
Next time, he should stay home.
No Disney Buzz Kills allowed!

4timedisneymommy
07-18-2006, 10:29 AM
It is VERY nice to know I am not alone! My MIL gives us so much grief about going to Disney that we don't even tell her we're going anymore! DH and I are going tomorrow for a short 2-day stay before we leave for a cruise, and DH lied and told her we were going early to visit with some friends of ours who live in Orlando! I know it's sad, but we needed her to watch our kids!!!!!!
:rolleyes:

ZebraDomeCrazy
07-18-2006, 10:48 AM
I have this conversation about 10 or 12 times while planning a trip with family and friends!

Yea, I am!!! I waited all my life to go to WDW and I have such a wonderful time there that I cannot wait to get back!!!

Yea, it will cost a little money, but I save as much as I can on the room and I wait for the FREE DINING.

OH MY! It's almost scary - I have the same conversations every trip!! My Mother is the worst. We have thought from time to time that maybe if we could afford it, that it would be nice to bring the rest of my family to show them the magic, but unfortunately, we realize that they just wouldn't get it!! :rotfl2: You need to be open for the magic. It doesn't seem to matter for me how many times I go, the same things give me goosebumps every trip - And every time we see the morning opening of MK and I watch my family , I cry a little (my DH says he loves that I still get choked up). I have so much "Disney" in my home, it's a little funny. From animal statues, to Mickey pictures, and figurines, etc. Some are subtle, that nobody would realize are Disney, some are obvious. My DH surprised me with a piece of artwork, personally signed to us by the artist, Timothy, (Bushman) at Animal Kingdom Lodge!! It is one of my favorite things!
Anyway, I know what you mean about "mean". I don't know why they act like that! Oh Well, can't change everyone. Atleast they can't change us!! Bye, Jane

Luv'sTink
07-18-2006, 11:32 AM
Negativity is a way of life for some people anymore :(

deekaypee
07-18-2006, 12:06 PM

Ooooh, my conversations are very similar. But as I said in an earlier post, I have a hearing problem:

Whenever anyone starts to pass value judgments about my choices [...] I look at them and imagine them quacking like a duck (not Donald, though).

Then I find myself staring at them with a slightly confused look, :confused3 or sometimes a half-stare "deer in the headlights" gaze. :bitelip: They're talking, but all I'm hearing is "Quack, quack, quackety, quack." Now, they don't know why I've got that look on my face, but they do know their attempt to convert me to their way of thinking has failed horribly.

So my version of your conversation goes something like this:

"WHAT??YOU'RE GOING AGAIN????" I hear, "Quaaack? Quaaack??"
My response: :confused3

"IT WILL COST YOU A FORTUNE!!!!" I hear, "Quack Quack Quack!!"
My response: "Yessss???"

"AIRLINES ARE SO EXPENSIVE!" I hear, "Quackety Quack!!!"
My response: :bitelip:

"THERE ARE OTHER PLACES NOT SO EXPENSIVE AND NOT SO FAR AWAY!" I hear: "Quack quack, quackty, quack. Quack!!!"
My response: :rolleyes1

Then I usually get the one question that does translate, perhaps because it uses the magic word in it: "WHY DISNEY?"
My response: "Because it's Disney! :teeth:

darlene9947
07-18-2006, 12:09 PM
HAHAHA!!! My DH is the same way. He just doesn't get the happy feeling that my daughters and I get when we're there. He went in 2003, we were a group of 13 :crazy: Last year, we took our grandson to Star Wars Weekends, by the 4th day he was a royal PITA. He did not come last December, and he is definately not coming next month! He will be there in Dec of 2007. Our youngest daughter is having her Fairy Tale Wedding there!!!
And, if he cuts up too much, I will send him home right after the ceremony!!!!

ObsessedwithWDW
07-18-2006, 01:16 PM
Here I am thinking I am the only one running into disney haters. I am amazed when someone says they have no need to go back and they have small children. Just the wonder in a childs eyes ALONE is enough to bring me back!!! For me I have had some of the best memories in my life in those parks with family and friends at all ages in my life....and look forward to going back the moment the plane leaves Orlando. Glad to see that so many wifes go without their husbands....mine could do without it for a few years.....but I feel the need to go once a year. Maybe I'll be going alone with DD some day sooner than later. :Pinkbounc

ZebraDomeCrazy
07-19-2006, 08:19 AM
Here I am thinking I am the only one running into disney haters. I am amazed when someone says they have no need to go back and they have small children. Just the wonder in a childs eyes ALONE is enough to bring me back!!! For me I have had some of the best memories in my life in those parks with family and friends at all ages in my life....and look forward to going back the moment the plane leaves Orlando. Glad to see that so many wifes go without their husbands....mine could do without it for a few years.....but I feel the need to go once a year. Maybe I'll be going alone with DD some day sooner than later. :Pinkbounc

I have to tell you, my daughter and I have gone alone twice! Once when she was 7 and again at 9. We had the BEST TIME! I difinitely recommend Mommy - Daughter trips. First of all, we are a family of four - and although we all go together and love it, it is so much easier with just two people (any two really). Less negotiating, less decision making on food, parks, rides, or anything else daughters and sons can disagree on. :rotfl: Also, my DH and DS can't deal with the heat as well as DD and myself, so we lasted much longer int he parks. Then we swam all night! We both know at some point, they are going to be too cool to hang out with us - so take advantage of the quality time now!! DD is going on 12 now and still talks about those trips together, and wants to know when we can do it again, just us! If you can do it, go for it sooner than later!! They grow up too fast! Bye- Jane

BionicEar
07-19-2006, 08:55 AM
I've only read the first page here so far, but I just wanted go ahead and leave my comment on this issue.

My DH had never been to Disney before we took our first family trip 3 years ago. I was worried, of course, that he would hate it.

I lucked out big time, because he loved every bit of it. It is the one place where he could totally put work out of his mind and totally forget about it for a week. He parks his cell phone into the room safe upon arrival and doesn't take it out unless we need to call home or until we leave.

I knew I had him hooked when we were walking to the Beach Club bus stop and the kids were still fighting over who was going to push the elevator button next (this was the ONLY thing they fought over!). We were several steps behind the quarrelling musketeers and DH leaned over to me and said with a huge grin:

"Even when the kids are being total s***heads, I'm having a GREAT time!"

:scared1::lmao:

There's also something about the Disney magic that makes our kids get along like they are the best of friends (unless an elevator is involved). DH sees that, and takes full advantage.

But he knows there's more to Disney than just theme parks. He took the boys to play golf the afternoon we arrived last March, and had a tee time set up for him at the Palm a couple of days later. (Disney will put you in a foursome - he really enjoyed that as he does like meeting new people.) When he was done, he was on :cloud9: about the "best golf game ever."

He even thinks Disney is a better value for the money spent. We both agree that not a single penny spent at Disney has been "wasted." It is a vacation, after all, and life is just too short to worry about how much money is blown on a vacation.

When I carefully suggested an adult-only trip to the Epcot Food & Wine Festival, he was intrigued. When I read snippets of Vettechick99's trip reports during F&W to him, he was hooked. The kids have said they want nothing to do with F&W, so I think we're good to go on that. But when we're going is the big question. But we're definitely going to do it one year.

That being said, I do understand when people say, "What?? Disney again???" I just look at them square in the eye and say, "Disney is my Prozac."

Only big challenge for me now is that I've gotta convince DH I'd rather renew our wedding vows at Sunset Pointe rather than with Elvis in Vegas. :lmao:

Yes, I know I'm lucky. I really do feel for you gals whose DHs haven't gotten bit by the Disney bug. :grouphug:

angipoo
07-19-2006, 09:42 PM
My DH has spent months planning and updating our own personal touring plan! He also saved us $300 by watching SW for deals. I hope other spouses will see it as a time spent together. My DD (6) STILL looks at her Disney album about once a week and we went 2 yrs. ago.

disneymagicgirl
07-19-2006, 09:50 PM
I booked a trip for my DD (7) and myself for September. I am sooo excited. The best part is that she doesn't know about it. I am going to pick her up from school, car already packed, and head down there. What a great suprise!!! :cool1:

ZebraDomeCrazy
07-20-2006, 09:23 AM
I booked a trip for my DD (7) and myself for September. I am sooo excited. The best part is that she doesn't know about it. I am going to pick her up from school, car already packed, and head down there. What a great suprise!!! :cool1:

GOOD FOR YOU!! What a COOL MOM!! Have lots of fun!! :Pinkbounc

Love2BinDisney
07-20-2006, 12:34 PM

See now there are pluses and minuses to both sides. My husband does like Disney and going as a family. So much that he got upset when I wanted to go last April with my sister and her children. He was afraid that it would take away from how special it is if my daughter and I went without him. I love that he enjoys it but I love to enjoy it with my sister too, since that is who I started going to Disney with. :confused3

Scraper
07-20-2006, 11:48 PM
BUT WE DO

ME and My huppy and the Kids love it.
I thenk we love it more then the kids.:thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

ilovedisneyworld
07-20-2006, 11:54 PM
Dont you just love the your crazy looks when you talk about disney? I get them alot since I talk about it. But hey I only talk about it when I am going to get to go or after I get back. Which is all the time! lol