PDA

View Full Version : Are there any FUNNY movies out there...

Skywalker
07-12-2006, 09:15 PM
...that are NOT stupid, slapstick, juvenile kind of comedy?

I ask this because I have NEVER seen a "comedy" that has made me laugh. Ever. My husband thinks I am too serious. But I have never seen a comedy that didn't leave me rolling my eyes and wondering if all comedies are made for frat boys. I also don't like the "romantic-comedy" type of movie. I am always disappointed, so that is why I stick to drama/action-type movies now.

So, can anyone recommend a good comedy? I'd like to shock my husband by actually renting one!

:sunny:

Tinks
07-12-2006, 09:23 PM
Princess Bride---not really a "romance" despite the title.

When Harry Met Sally--Oops this one's a "romance" and you don't like that.

We just rented Best in Show. Funny, but not quite in league with the "rockumentary" Spinal Tap. :rotfl:

Micca
07-12-2006, 09:23 PM

...so the 3 Stooges are out? :confused3

sweet angel
07-12-2006, 09:25 PM
If you rule out stupid, slapstick and juvenile, what's left to be comedy?

I laughed my butt off at "40 Year Old Virgin", and most Adam Sandler movies, but I HATED "Wedding Crashers," "Meet the Parents," "Something About Mary," etc.

FreshTressa
07-12-2006, 09:27 PM
I was going to say "happy, texas" until I read the juvenille part.

I think you just excluded all comedy movies by what your definintion of not funny is, lol.

ktpool
07-12-2006, 09:31 PM
The Princess Bride - laugh out loud funny and gets funnier everytime I see it!

Ready to go in Ok
07-12-2006, 09:32 PM
The Birdcage........has me rolling every time I see it. May be a little juvenile at times though.

ETA: What about Pulp Fiction? It is a dark comedy kind of drama, thing.

Kimmie5870
07-12-2006, 09:51 PM

I ask this because I have NEVER seen a "comedy" that has made me laugh. Ever. My husband thinks I am too serious. But I have never seen a comedy that didn't leave me rolling my eyes and wondering if all comedies are made for frat boys. I also don't like the "romantic-comedy" type of movie. I am always disappointed, so that is why I stick to drama/action-type movies now.

So, can anyone recommend a good comedy? I'd like to shock my husband by actually renting one!

What is your sense of humor?Dh has a slapstick/goofy type humor but mine is more wicked/sarcastic.Needless to say,we have a hard time choosing movies.

pearlieq
07-12-2006, 10:00 PM
Albert Brooks, maybe? It's much more cerebral, verbal comedy. Maybe Lost In America or Defending Your Life?

Some of Steve Martin's more serious works? Roxanne is quiet but super funny. LA Story is also a different, dry type of humor.

More recent, I found The Weatherman to be funny, it kind of a dark, brooding way. It's not a laugh-a-minute, but it had some good moments, and some beautiful cinematograhpy.

TinkInPink
07-12-2006, 10:09 PM
Monty python and the holy grail

ashjohnson80
07-12-2006, 10:19 PM
One of my favorite comedies is Office Space.

aunt kelly
07-12-2006, 10:20 PM
I think I know what you mean-I don't like slapstick either.

I thought Meet the Parents was really funny. I also liked Best of Show.

A good black comedy is Fargo.

A funny one out now is The Devil Wears Prada.

hiwaygal
07-12-2006, 10:22 PM
Hands down one of the funniest movies I've ever seen is "My Fellow Americans" :rotfl: :rotfl:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0117119/

Saphire
07-12-2006, 10:24 PM
OK, here are a few of mine: Have you seen any of these?

I love John Hughes movies! (And the 80's!)

Planes, Trains and Automobiles
Unkle Buck
She's Having a Baby
Ferris Bueller's Day Off

Better Off Dead
Trading Places
When Harry Met Sally
Young Frankenstein
The Jerk
Overboard
Christmas Vacation
Toy Story
Some Like It Hot

rparmfamily
07-12-2006, 10:28 PM
Office Space!! I also hate "frat boy" humor (potty humor). What about some Bill Murray movies, like The Spy Who Knew Too Little. I found that movie very funny, but I think I was the only one who liked it! LOL I also enjoy the comedy in The Mummy and POTC!

goofy's friends
07-12-2006, 10:29 PM
Have you seen these?

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
Bruce Almighty
13 going on 30
the Emporer's New Groove
Princess Bride

I agree about the frat-boy comedy, its my DH favorite, but these are some of my favorites.

cteddiesgirl
07-12-2006, 10:29 PM
Heathers is a dark comedy.
Arsenic and Old Lace is another one.
Some Like It Hot
Mr. Deeds Goes to Town

Ever watch any Marx Brothers? Or Abbott & Costello?

I love the classics. Not too much frat boy type comedy.

Basically, to really help you find a film you might like, what does make you laugh?

Hands down one of the funniest movies I've ever seen is "My Fellow Americans" :rotfl: :rotfl:

Yes! Love that movie!

*edit* Thought of another one - Nunsense!
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114017/
It's a musical comedy, but, even my best friend who hates musicals loved it!

Skywalker
07-12-2006, 10:50 PM
Wow you guys are great! That seems like a lot of excellent suggestions so far...

I really don't know what makes me laugh. I think I am more of a "witty banter" type...but not overly dry, intellectual witty banter...Woody Allen turns me off, for example.

I did like Ferris Bueller's Day Off! (I think that is the only one mentioned here that I have seen...no wait I also saw Toy Story and the Emperor's New Groove and yes I liked those too, but only with my kids).

Thanks to your suggestions, I do have at least perhaps a place to start in the video store tomorrow.

FreshTressa - that's what I was afraid of! LOL.

I should offer a prize for whoever suggests a comedy that I actually like. LOL. Hmmm...now what should it be... :worship:

goofy's friends
07-12-2006, 10:59 PM
Let us know what you get and what you like--I want to win the prize :goodvibes

pearlieq
07-12-2006, 11:05 PM
I think I am more of a "witty banter" type...but not overly dry, intellectual witty banter...

Hmm...have you ever seen The Philadelphia Story, His Girl Friday, or Woman of the Year? They're older, and they have a romantic element, but they're famed for their banter.

Happy viewing!

buckylarue
07-12-2006, 11:14 PM
Hmm...have you ever seen The Philadelphia Story, His Girl Friday, or Woman of the Year? They're older, and they have a romantic element, but they're famed for their banter.

Happy viewing!

I'd add Bringing Up Baby to that list; probably my favorite film of all time!
Also, how about any of the Thin Man movies with William Powell and Myrna Loy?

Annie68
07-12-2006, 11:32 PM

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0117119/

I love that movie! "Hail to the chief, he's the chief and he needs hailing." :rotfl:

Cool-Beans
07-12-2006, 11:52 PM
"Blast From the Past" and "My Cousin Vinny" are probably my favorites. Also love "Office Space."

If you've ever built a house, "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House." Old (Cary Grant), but still funny. Another oldie (also with Cary Grant) that I like is the Philadelphia Story, but it is more a Romantic Comedy than regular comedy. I just really like that movie. :)

If you're just in the mood to laugh and don't need a movie, try Eddie Izzard's "Dress to Kill." Yes, he is a transvestite, but if this turns you off, I swear after about 2 minutes you don't notice it. And he's wicked funny.

Hope you get a :rotfl: .

Cool-Beans
07-12-2006, 11:53 PM
I love that movie! "Hail to the chief, he's the chief and he needs hailing." :rotfl:I LOVED that line! I still sing it when I hear it!

"...he is the Chief, so everybody hail-like-crazy...."

:lmao:

wdw4us2
07-13-2006, 12:19 AM
Harold & Maude - a great black comedy from 1971 starring Ruth Gordon and Bud Cort.

Private Benjamin - 1979 comedy starring Goldie Hawn. Up until the last half hour, that film is hilarious.

His Girl Friday and It Happened One Night - from Hollywood's Golden Age

Max Dugan Returns - 1982 Neil Simon film starring Marsha Mason, Jason Robards and a young Matthew Broderick. Some other good Neil Simon films: The Goodbye Girl and Murder By Death.

I know lots of others, but I was trying to narrow it down to well written and not contrived comedy.

marybet
07-13-2006, 12:47 AM
Some of my favorites:

A Fish Called Wanda

The In-Laws (the one with Peter Falk and Alan Arkin)

Freebie and The Bean

Demolition Man - this is an action movie but if you like sarcasm this is a very funny movie

ibouncetoo
07-13-2006, 01:32 AM
Yep...if you're looking for banter, you have to go back in time to the 30's and 40's. His Girl Friday (previously mentioned by at least two posters) is non-stop banter by two actors who do it best!Oh.....I think I have to go rent A Fish Called Wanda....haven't seen it in a long time (I adore John Cleese and Kevin Kline).

Cool-Beans
07-13-2006, 01:55 AM
Max Dugan Returns - 1982 Neil Simon film starring Marsha Mason, Jason Robards and a young Matthew Broderick. Oh, yes! That's a great one!!!!!!! (And a quick Keifer Sutherland cameo, too...as a kid.) :)

Also liked "Kiss Me Goodbye" (out around the same time and talk about banter!) w/ James Caan and Sally Field and Jeff what'shisname with the dad and the brother. He was the killer in the movie he was in with Glenn Close, and was also in that movie where Michelle Pfeifer was lying on a piano. He was Starman. What is his name??? This is driving me crazy.

WDWguru
07-13-2006, 03:08 AM
Ditto Eddie Izzard - his standups are hilarious and quite intellectual, actually

I have a soft spot for Dave - where Kevin Kline secretly fills in for the president

You might also check out the Christopher Guest movies. He uses the same ensembles in each one and they write out a loose plotline and scene breaks, then just let everyone improv. They are SO talented! They're all mockumentaries (he did Spinal Tap) on hilarious subjects. My favorite is probably Best in Show (about a big time dog show, but also check out Waiting for Guffman (about a small town theater production) and A Mighty Wind (about a reunion concert of 60s folk groups). Very smart and very very funny stuff!

Also, the Coen brothers' movies are often quite funny, but dark. They require a bit of a quirky sense of humor, but if you love them you'll REALLY love them. Raising Arizona is probably the best, and The Big Lebowski is awesome.

dg39
07-13-2006, 06:03 AM
Fatso with Dom Deloise. I laugh just thinking about it. Its rather old but is hilarious.

Bella the Ball 360
07-13-2006, 06:23 AM
The Birdcage........has me rolling every time I see it. May be a little juvenile at times though.

ETA: What about Pulp Fiction? It is a dark comedy kind of drama, thing.

I did not find birdcage all that funny I felt kind of sad for the Nathan Lane character even though it turned out okay in the end. I love that movie.

I second Dirty Rotten Scoundrels.

accomp
07-13-2006, 06:43 AM
"The Awful Truth" with Irene Dunne and Cary Grant is my favorite comedy. :teeth:

Karel
07-13-2006, 07:30 AM
Big Trouble with Tim Allen.

Christine
07-13-2006, 07:35 AM
I have trouble with comedies also. I can't really think of one that will crack me up and leave my sides hurting. I mostly will find comedy in the way a certain actor portrays himself.

One that comes to mind, believe it or not, is Zoolander. Not that is such a great movie, but I think Ben Stiller did an excellent job of portraying a VERY DUMB male model, and that in itself was kind of comical. I wouldn't call it slapstick but it's not "intelligent" humor either.

I hated The 40-Year Old Virgin, did okay with Wedding Crashers, hated Dodgeball. I'm always yearning for a great comedy but they are so hard to find.

hiwaygal
07-13-2006, 08:04 AM
Murder By Death.

Another excellent choice! :thumbsup2

hiwaygal
07-13-2006, 08:05 AM
I love that movie! "Hail to the chief, he's the chief and he needs hailing." :rotfl:

I LOVED that line! I still sing it when I hear it!

"...he is the Chief, so everybody hail-like-crazy...."

:lmao:

How about the helicopter scene? :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Or at the end..."We've met before, Mr. President....over the rainbow?" :rotfl: :rotfl:

marybet
07-13-2006, 08:11 AM
Oh, yes! That's a great one!!!!!!! (And a quick Keifer Sutherland cameo, too...as a kid.) :)

Also liked "Kiss Me Goodbye" (out around the same time and talk about banter!) w/ James Caan and Sally Field and Jeff what'shisname with the dad and the brother. He was the killer in the movie he was in with Glenn Close, and was also in that movie where Michelle Pfeifer was lying on a piano. He was Starman. What is his name??? This is driving me crazy.

Jeff Bridges

Maleficent13
07-13-2006, 08:21 AM
I recommend early Tom Hanks: The 'Burbs, Joe vs. the Volcano, and The Money Pit (especially this one!!).

Not romantic, not juvenile, not slapstick!